Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News Top Stories

older | 1 | .... | 1550 | 1551 | (Page 1552) | 1553 | 1554 | .... | 2520 | newer

    0 0

    Fall may have officially arrived, but the summer camp experience is still going for some. More and more adults are reliving the summer camp experience during fall and spring. More than a million adults a year are indulging in camps according to the American Camp Association.

    0 0

    Two days after the first presidential debate, top aides and people close to Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump admit the candidate's performance was subpar and that he must dramatically improve in his second showdown against Hillary Clinton, NBC News reported.

    While Trump has been actively spinning his debate performance as a win and insisting that any areas of imperfection were not his fault, his confidants were telling a different story.

    The debate was a "disaster" for Trump, according to one source close to the campaign. Also dissatisfied with the debate performance were Trump's children, according to a campaign aide, who said they wish campaign leadership had forced him to take it more seriously.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    Donald Trump speaks with Polish-American community members at the Polish National Alliance in Chicago on Sept. 28, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.Donald Trump speaks with Polish-American community members at the Polish National Alliance in Chicago on Sept. 28, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.

    0 0

    With Democratic candidates and Republican candidates running full slates this presidential election year, the registrars of voters in Manchester resolved not to let lines back up voting for more than an hour again.

    "We'd make every effort we can to try to get people in and out of the voting place in hopefully 20, no longer than 20 to 30 minutes," Tim Becker, the Republican registrar of voters, said.

    On the town government website people can apply to be election poll workers. The registrars’ office needs another 20 to 25 people to handle each ballot properly as greeters, official ID checkers, ballot distributors and tabulator tenders.

    "Anybody who has their ballot rejected out of the machine - those people need to be assisted," Becker said.

    The Democratic registrar of voters, Jim Stevenson, wasn't available to be interviewed, but he also expects a high turnout.

    Some of the poll workers will work at the senior citizens center, which will be particularly busy because it's where Manchester residents can register and vote in the same trip on Election Day.

    "Our experience on voting in 2012 when if you weren't registered you could still vote for president was the town clerk had over 1,000 people," Becker said.

    Even 16 and 17 year olds can help the lines go away because there's no school Election Day in Manchester.

    File photoFile photo

    0 0

    At least four passengers who were on a crowded commuter train that plowed into New Jersey Transit's Hoboken Terminal Thursday morning said if felt like the train did not brake before the crash. 

    "We approached the station and the train just felt like it never stopped," Jamie Weatherhead-Sal, who was standing at the door between the first and second car, told NBC4 New York. "The train just kept going, the lights shut off, people started yelling."

    At least three people were killed and up to 100 were injured in the crash, officials said. A New Jersey Transit spokesperson speaking at a short media briefing would not comment on how fast the train was going when it entered the platform.

    Another passenger, Bhagyesh Sha, told MSNBC the train was traveling at its usual speed when it neared the terminal, but it never stopped.

    “It did not brake at all,” said Shaw, who was standing in the back of the second train car when it rammed through the platform. 

    He said the train hit a couple of pillars, causing the roof to collapse onto the train. 

    "It was for a couple seconds, but it felt like an eternity," Shah said of the crash. "I saw a woman pinned under the concrete. A lot of people were bleeding, one guy was crying." 

    New Jersey Transit machinist Michael Larson saw the train entering the platform at a "higher speed" than the usual two to three mph. 

    “It was horrific. It was an explosion of concrete, dust, electrical wire," Larson said of the crash.

    He said passengers were scrambling to exit the train through windows but he and others tried to warn them of live wires hanging at the scene and to wait for emergency responders to arrive. 

    "One woman had a gash the entire length of her leg," Larson added. 

    The train came to a halt in a covered area between the station's indoor waiting area and the platform. 

    "It simply did not stop," WFAN anchor John Minko, who witnessed the crash, told 1010 WINS. "It went right through the barriers and into the reception area."

    Nancy Bido, who was sitting in the middle of the train, told NBC New York that it felt like the train was "going really too fast" and the train "never stopped." 

    "Everybody was pretty shaken up and upset," said Bido who hit her head on the person in front of her. She added that she was waiting to be taken to one of three hospitals in the area treating people.

    "It was a really disastrous scene," she said. 

    Weatherhead-Sal people got thrown on impact and one woman got her legs caught in the door. Fellow passengers were able to pull her up to safety. Another man was bleeding from a gash in his forehead but was still trying to help fellow passengers.

    "People in front of me were badly injured and then we just heard people were screaming in the first car; they were trapped, they couldn't get out," Weatherhead-Sal said. She said the conductor helped them get off the train. 

    NBC staffer Aracely Hillebrecht, 32, was on the platform at the time the train hit the station.

    "I was about 30 feet from it," she told NBC News. "I heard screeching and we saw the train and someone yelled 'run.'"

    "We heard the train crash and heard the sound of water as the roof collapsed. People were scrambling and running away from the train." Hillebrecht said she saw people who were "really hurt" and "some people couldn't walk."

    Hillebrecht, who lives about 10 to 15 minutes away from the station, said she was not injured.

    Another passenger, Steve Mesiano, told MSNBC he heard a "huge, huge bang, and the lights went off." He was in the second train car, and said he saw the roof of the first car collapse.

    When he got out, Mesiano saw bloodied passengers everywhere. 

    "There was blood on the floor," he said.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    Passengers rush to safety after a NJ Transit train crashed in to the platform at the Hoboken Terminal Sept. 29, 2016, in Hoboken, New Jersey.Passengers rush to safety after a NJ Transit train crashed in to the platform at the Hoboken Terminal Sept. 29, 2016, in Hoboken, New Jersey.

    0 0

    On the surface, John J Ashton Tower in Willimantic seems secure. You need a key fob to enter the front door and there's a security camera in the lobby, but residents say it's all a deception and they are asking for more security , especially in the wake of a homicide earlier this month. 

    The key fob system breaks quite often, the door is propped open by a rug and the security camera doesn't work, they said. 

    "I'm afraid to be living there, but I can't afford to be living anywhere else. I'm 70-years-old," Essie Baker said.

    That fear grew when Baker's friend was found dead inside his home in the building earlier this month. 

    Police called the death of 73-year-old William Alvarado a homicide.  

    "Especially not knowing why they would kill such a sweet, innocent guy, it makes you concerned even more," said Lorri Vilorio, who has relatives living in Ashton Tower. 

    On Wednesday night residents and their family members expressed that concern to the Willimantic Housing Authority and asked for better security. 

    "Something needs to be done to protect them, especially while this case is being investigated," said Nancy Martinez Fuentes, who has family living in the complex. 

    "It's concerning that the residents feel this way," said Kim Haddad, the executive director of the Willimantic Housing Authority. "We've hired security to do patrols and stay at the building for periods of time." 

    Residents said they're hoping for even more, particularly security cameras, and it's a suggestion the Willimantic Police Department brought up at the meeting as well. 

    With that in mind, the board approved the installation of cameras. Haddad said they should be in place in the next few weeks and promised to do even more. 

    It's an important step to ease the minds of residents who believe they won't feel truly safe until the case is solved. 

    "It could happen to anyone and it scares everyone in the building," Vilorio said. 

    Police said there is an active and ongoing investigation into the homicide of Alvarado and they encourage anyone who knows something about the case to give them a call. 

    The Housing Authority will meet with Willimantic's police chief next week to go into detail about the steps they can take to secure all their buildings. After that, a public meeting with residents, the Willimantic Housing Authority and police will take place. 

    0 0

    Jamie Weatherhead-Sal, a passenger aboard the NJ Transit train that plowed into Hoboken Terminal, recounts the harrowing experience.

    0 0

    U.S. marshals have detained a man in North Carolina who is suspected in an armed robbery at a Norwalk pawn shop earlier this month.

    Donald Outlaw, 28, of Hartford, has been charged in the armed robbery at Gold Rush Pawn Shop on Sept. 9. 

    Police responded to the shop at 495 Connecticut Ave. at 11:10 a.m. to investigate after two men robbed the shop and have been investigating since.

    They said Outlaw is suspected of committing the armed robbery, as well as being a conspirator. When he is brought back to Connecticut, he will be charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree larceny and conspiracy.

    The warrant has a court-set bond of $250,000.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact the Norwalk Police Department at (203) 854-3034. 

    Photo Credit: Norwalk Police

    0 0

    Waking up will be a little easier for coffee lovers Thursday.

    Several coffee shops and chains are offering free cups of joe or special deals on Sept. 29 to celebrate #NationalCoffeeDay.

    Here’s where you can get your fix:

    Dunkin Donuts: Get any medium cup of coffee for just 66 cents in celebration of the chain's 66th anniversary, which falls on the coffee-themed holiday.

    Krispy Kreme: Free coffee and an original glazed donut at any Krispy Kreme location.

    McDonald's: Free hot coffee (any size) with the purchase of any food item. Time to stock up on K-Cups. Get 20 percent off select brands of K-Cup pods bought by using the code ‘GREENSAVINGS’ at checkout.

    Stan’s DonutsFree glazed donut with the purchase of a Stumptown Nitro Cold Brew.

    Peet’s Coffee & Tea: Free medium drip coffee with any food purchase.

    Target: Free tall hot brewed coffee at Target stores.

    Caribou Coffee: Every time someone purchases a coffee at Caribou Coffee on National Coffee Day, the company will donate a free cup of coffee to caregivers and family members at cancer facilities and hospitals across the nation.

    Bruegger's Bagels: Anyone who snaps a selfie with a Bruegger’s coffee cup and posts it with the hashtag #BrueggersMugShot and #Contest the chance to win unlimited free coffee for an entire year.

    Starbucks: For every brewed cup of Mexico Chiapas coffee purchased, Starbuck's will donate a coffee tree to a farmer in need.

    0 0

    You've probably heard the name all week: Nathan Carman.

    The name of the 22-year-old Vermont resident, who is originally from Middletown, Connecticut, has been on the tips of everyone's tongues since he was found safe on a life raft without his mother a week after the pair went missing during a fishing trip.

    A search warrant was issued for his Vermont home after he was found and a source says that Nathan Carman is also a person of interest in the slaying of his millionaire grandfather in 2013.

    Here's everything we know about Nathan Carman so far:


    On Sept. 18, Nathan Carman, 22, and his mother Linda Carman, 54, were reported missing after heading out on a fishing trip with the boat named Chicken Pox and failing to return from the waters off Point Judith in Rhode Island. 

    On Sept. 24, the U.S. Coast Guard suspends the search for the mother and son after six days. The Coast Guard searched an area near Block Island, a search that expanded through 62,000 square miles. The search expanded from the coast of Rhode Island to New York and as far as New Jersey.

    On Sept. 26, Nathan Carman was found alive on a life raft by a Chinese freighter called Orient Lucky about 115 nautical miles off Martha's Vineyard. The man was wearing a life vest and had an emergency bag of food and water. 

    He is interviewed by the U.S. Coast Guard via telelphone.

    There was no sign of his mother, Linda Carman. Petty Officer 3rd Class Nicole Groll said during a news conference that day that the chances of Linda Carman surviving are minimal.

    On Sept. 27, Nathan Carman arrived in Boston after he was missing at sea for a week. He said he heard a "funny noise" coming from the boat's engine compartment and when he went to go look, it was filling up with water.

    "I got to the life raft after I got my bearings and I was whistling and calling and looking around and I didn't see (my mom)," Carman told the Coast Guard.

    On the same day, a search warrant was issued for Nathan Carman's Vermont home.

    On Sept. 28, police release the search warrant affidavit into Nathan Carman's home. The search warrant affidavit reads that police "believe that evidence relating to the crime of RIGL 46-22-9.3 {Operating so as to endanger, resulting in the death} will be located inside Nathan's residence located at 3034 Fort Bridgemon Road in Vernon, Vermont."

    A friend of the family told investigators that Linda Carman said the pair was going fishing at Striper Rock, which is located approximately 20 miles off of the Block Island shoreline, according to the affidavit. 

    However, another witness told police that Nathan Carman said they were going fishing at the Canyons, which is approximately 100 miles off the Block Island shore, the affidavit reads. 

    When Carman was rescued about 100 miles off shore of Martha's Vineyard, he told investigators he and his mother were fishing on the Block Canyon for tuna, the affidavit said. 

    Sources close to the investigation also said that Nathan Carman is a person of interest into his wealthy grandfather's homicide in 2013. 

    The 22-year old told the Associated Press on Wednesday that he had nothing to do with his grandfather's 2013 unsolved slaying and didn't harm his missing mother.


    A 2014 search warrant said that Carman was the last person known to have seen Chakalos alive; that Carman had bought a rifle consistent with the one used in the crime; and that he discarded his hard drive and GPS unit used around the time of the shooting.

    Carman was never charged. According to court papers, police submitted an arrest warrant to a prosecutor, but it was returned unsigned with a request for more information.


    On Dec. 20, Nathan Carman's grandfather, John Chakalos, 87 was found fatally shot inside his Windsor home by a family member just before 8:30 a.m.

    The homicide was never solved. 

    According to court documents Carman came under suspicion in the slaying three years ago of his maternal grandfather, who left an estate worth more than $42 million to his four adult daughters, including Carman's mother.

    A $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Chakolo's murder could be seen on a billboard on I-91 North and South near Jennings Road in Hartford. On the billboard is Chakalo's face.


    Nathan Carman, 17 at the time, was found nearly 500 miles away in Virginia after he went missing from his hometown of Middletown for five days. His father Clark Carman begged for his son with Asperger's Syndrome to come home.

    Police believe Nathan was missing his closest friend, a horse, who had died sometime before the disappearance. 

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    Helicopter footage shows the scene at Hoboken Terminal, where a rush-hour train from Spring Valley, New York, crashed through a barrier at the end of the line and into the terminal's concourse, killing three people and injuring up to 100. 

    Several passangers said the 1614 train on the Pascack Valley Line never slowed down when it arrived at Hoboken Terminal at 8:45 a.m. Preliminary reports indicate the crash was accidental or caused by operator error, according to five law enforcement officials. 

    The video above shows glass arches atop the building crunched like an accordion over the platform.

    0 0

    An upper-level low will bring showers to Connecticut Friday through the weekend.

    For this Thursday, however, it will be dry with a good amount of sunshine. Temperatures will rise into the middle 60s.

    Friday will feature the most numerous showers, making most of the day wet. As a result, highs will only be in the 60s.

    More showers are expected Saturday, when temperatures will again only be in the lower 60s.

    Sunday will be the least wet of the next few days, but a shower is still possible. It will be warmer, with temperatures reaching the upper 60s.

    While there could still be a shower on Monday, dry weather finally returns Tuesday and lasts into the middle part of next week.

    High temperatures will be near 70 degrees next week.

    First Alert meteorologists continue to monitor the tropics, as Matthew will be somewhere off the East Coast by late next week.

    0 0

    The driver of a tractor-trailer was killed in a fiery crash that closed Interstate 95 in Westport for nearly 11 hours and police have charged the driver of the other Mercedes involved in the crash with driving under the influence.

    The Mack truck and Mercedes E350 collided near exit 17 on  I-95 South just before 7 p.m., which caused the truck to roll over, land on its roof and catch fire. The cab of the truck was hanging off the shoulder of the highway, according to an NBC Connecticut crew on scene.

    Police identified the truck driver as Thomas Patrick Reynolds, 64, of Woodbury and said he was pronounced dead at the scene.

    The driver of the sedan as Ramses Taylor Rival, 35, of Stamford, hit the concrete barrier of the Saugatuck River Bridge, according to state police.

    They said he appeared to be intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test.

    He was charged with driving under the influence, according to state police. He has been released on $10,000 bond. 

    Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

    0 0

    A New Britain woman has been charged with attempted murder after she slit a man’s throat, according to New Britain police. 

    Police said they responded to a domestic disturbance around 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday and found a man outside with a towel around his bleeding neck. He told police that he and Raynebow Adams got into an argument while she was washing dishes and she turned around and slit his throat with a knife, police said. 

    The victim’s injuries are potentially life-threatening and he was brought to trauma center, according police. 

    Adams, 33, has been charged with attempted murder, second-degree assault and disorderly conduct. 

    She told authorities she slit the man’s throat by mistake, police said. 

    Police have not released the victim’s name or information about his relationship with Adams. 

    She was arraigned in New Britain yesterday and is being held on $250,000 bond, according to online court records. 

    She is being represented by a public defender and is due back in court on Oct. 14. 

    Photo Credit: New Britain Police

    0 0

    At least one person died and up to 100 were hurt when an NJ Transit train crashed into the station in Hoboken at the height of Thursday's morning rush, leaving twisted piles of metal and bricks and causing part of the highly trafficked terminal to collapse. 

    Sources familiar with the investigation told NBC 4 New York a woman in her 30s who was on a platform in the station died. There were conflicting reports about other possible fatalities as emergency crew worked to extricate victims from the mangled wreckage. Hospital officials initially reported two more deaths, though later clarified they had only received wounded patients.   

    Preliminary reports suggest the 8:45 a.m. crash - involving train No. 1614 on the Pascack Valley Line from Spring Valley - was accidental or caused by operator error, according to five law enforcement officials. They stressed it was early in the investigation, though. 

    Jersey City Medical Center said it had more than 50 patients from the crash, including three trauma patients. Some were being treated in the emergency room, though most "walking wounded" were being seen in a cafeteria given the volume of patients.

    Pictures on social media showed serious damage to the train and extensive structural damage to the station. At least one of the NJ Transit cars appeared to be partially inside the building, with some of the supporting beams that hold up the canopy over the tracks caved in around it.

    Photos showed emergency crews standing on piles of rubble, peering into the mangled wreckage of the train in a frantic search for survivors. 

    It appeared the train went through a bumper stop at the end of the track. It came to a stop in a covered area between the station's indoor waiting area and the platform. From above, chopper footage showed the glass arches atop the building crunched like an accordion over the platform. 

    Jamie Weatherhead-Sal, a passenger in the first car of the train, told NBC 4 New York the train "just felt like it never stopped. It didn't slow down. It didn't brake."

    Others said the train seemed to be moving faster than usual as it entered the station, but they didn't think much of it -- until the impact.

    "You felt like this huge, huge bang," said passenger Steve Mesiano. "The lights went off, and then you started to see like –- I was in the window seat, so I could see like outside, what was happening, and the roof just collapsed on the first car."

    Tearful passengers described people screaming, bloodied and trapped in the first car. Several people who were on the train tweeted they felt "lucky to be alive." 

    Passenger Bhagyesh Shah said he boarded the train at Secaucus. He said he normally stands near the window, but stood in the back of the train Thursday.

    "The next thing I know, we are plowing through the platform," Shah said. "It was for a couple seconds, but it felt like an eternity." 

    He said the train was crowded, particularly the first two cars, because they make for an easy exit into the Hoboken station and onto the PATH train. Passengers in the second car broke the emergency windows to get out.

    "I saw a woman pinned under concrete," Shah said. "A lot of people were bleeding; one guy was crying."

    NBC staffer Aracely Hillebrecht, 32, said she was standing on the platform when the train barreled into the terminal.

    "I was about 30 feet from it. I heard screeching and we saw the train and someone yelled, 'Run!" Hillebrecht said. "We heard the train crash and heard the sound of water as the roof collapsed. People were scrambling and running away."

    Hillebrecht said she saw people who were "really hurt" and "some couldn't walk."

    Nearby Jersey City Medical Center said it had sent several trauma and emergency units to the scene, which was swarming with first responders within minutes of the crash. 

    Hoboken, which is New Jersey Transit's fifth-busiest stations with 15,000 boardings per weekday, is the final stop for several train lines and a transfer point for many commuters on their way to New York City.

    All PATH service at the Hoboken station is suspended. NJ Transit said service in and out of the station was also shut down; NJ Transit bus and private carrier buses were cross-honoring tickets. Ferry service was suspended.


    The Federal Railroad Administration says it has investigators en route to the scene. The National Transportation Safety Board is also responding.

    A crash at the same station on a different train line injured more than 30 people in 2011. The PATH commuter train crashed into bumpers at the end of the tracks on a Sunday morning. 

    Photo Credit: Getty Images
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    0 0

    One of the five former Wesleyan University students arrested in connection with a slew of party drug overdoses last year has been sentenced to serve time in prison. 

    Eric Lonergan, 23, of Washington, D.C., will spend one year and a day in prision, followed by three years of supervised release, the state's U.S. attorney's office said. 

    Last November, the expelled Wesleyan student pleaded guilty to federal charges, after his former fellow student Zachary Kramer, of Bethesda, Maryland also pleaded guilty on Nov. 12.

    Lonergan and Kramer are accused of distributing the controlled substances that caused the overdoses.

    Police launched an investigation in February 2015 after 11 people, including 10 Wesleyan students, were hospitalized after taking what they thought was the euphoria-inducing stimulant MDMA, or "Molly," authorities said. One of the affected students went into cardiac arrest and almost died, having to be revived when his heart stopped beating, according to police.

    Soon after the students sought medical attention, Middletown police suspected they might have ingested a bad batch of Molly and began investigating the drug's origins.

    After the February overdoses, one student presented Middletown police with a capsule she had bought from Lonergan in September. Test results showed it did not contain "Molly" and instead contained "Spice" or "K2," a brand of synthetic marijuana, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office.

    In November 2013, Lonergan started buying Molly and selling it to students from his dorm for around $200 per gram between 5 and 9 p.m. most evenings, and counseling students on how to use it, according to the U.S. Attorney's office. He even handed out pamplets to inform students how to use psychedelic drugs in response to a campus-wide notification from administrators in 2014 "warning of the dangers of ingesting controlled substances like Molly," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

    In September 2014, Lonergan provided a bulk amount of what he called MDMA to students planning a "rolling" party at Wesleyan, a gathering where guests ingest Molly, according the U.S. Attorney's Office. Several students got sick at the party and some grew seriously ill after taking the drugs he provided, prosecutors said. Two students were hospitalized. After the overdoses, Loergan emailed several students to assure them that he did give them MDMA.

    One of the students who got ill saved one of the capsules and turned it over to Middletown police in February 2015.

    “This defendant trafficked in a drug that caused multiple overdoses and nearly took the life of one Wesleyan student, U.S. Attorney Deirdre M. Daly said in a statement. “As evidenced by this investigation and prosecution, Molly and other synthetic drugs are clearly not innocuous party drugs. Students who use synthetic drugs can never be certain what they are ingesting. Wesleyan students who bought these drugs from this dorm-room chemist literally risked their lives by relying on his purported expertise. We thank the DEA, the Middlesex State’s Attorney’s Office and the Middletown Police Department for their collaboration and diligent work in this investigation.”

    Kramer is accused of beginning to buy Molly from Lonergan and selling it to students at Wesleyan in 2014.

    Then he took over for Lonergan and became the drug's primary supplier in 2015, distributing what he claimed to be "Molly" and sold it to friends to sell, according to Daly.

    Witnesses told police they thought Kramer had bought the recent batch in Washington, D.C., and brought the drugs to campus. Police found several drugs in Kramer's dorm room, according to the warrant.

    While Kramer and some of his distributers destroyed the drug he was selling identified as Molly, one of them didn't and police seized it to be tested in a lab, according to Daly. The substance tested positive for having AB Fubinaca in it, she said.

    Lonergan, a former neuroscience student expelled from Wesleyan, was one of five students arrested on state charges amid the investigation. The state has since suspended its cases against him and Kramer.

    Lonergan was also arrested in April 2015 on charges of trespassing to attend a festival at Wesleyan despite being expelled.

    Kramer and Lonergan were then charged federally with conspiring to distribute and possess with intent to distribute MDMA and AB Fubinaca. They are also charged with attempting to distribute MDMA and distributing AB Fubinaca, as well as distributing MDMA near a private college. They have both pleaded guilty.

    Photo Credit: Middletown Police

    0 0

    A furious congressional committee grilled Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf on Thursday, the latest group to express their ire over the bank's shady practices, NBC News reported.

    Stumpf sat before the House Financial Services Committee to answer questions after Wells Fargo was fined a record $185 million this month for opening fee-generating accounts without customers' authorization in order to meet the high sales goals.

    Representative Maxine Water said Wells Fargo committed "some of the most egregious fraud we have seen since the foreclosure crisis," comparing it to mass identity theft.

    "I want to apologize for not doing more sooner to address the causes of this unacceptable activity," Stumpf said, but Congress was not appeased.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    John Stumpf, chairman and CEO of Wells Fargo & Company, testifies before the House Financial Services Committee Thursday, September 29, 2016, in Washington, D.C.John Stumpf, chairman and CEO of Wells Fargo & Company, testifies before the House Financial Services Committee Thursday, September 29, 2016, in Washington, D.C.

    0 0

    Union Station in New Haven, much like the terminal in Hoboken, has commuter trains that run to and from New York and after the crash on Thursday morning, some Connecticut commuters are a little shaken up.   

    Yaselin Cabrera, of Bridgeport, said she can only hope to get to and from her destination safely.

    "I just ride and pray every day that everything goes fine. And get to work safe and back home safely," she said. 

    News of the mishap in Hoboken startled commuters in Connecticut who rely on trains to get between home and job safely. 

    "I've still got to get to work, I still have to provide for my family," said Jesse Brown. "But it's definitely a concern to hear that could happen at any time." 

    A spokesperson for Metro-North said it is installing a speed control system called Positive Train Control (PTC) on its track between New York and New Haven.  

    "Broadly speaking, we are making very significant progress and we're on pace to have PTC implemented by 2018," said Aaron Donovan of Metro-North in a statement.

    Commuters in Waterbury said now when they look at the end of the rail line there, they wonder what would stop a train that didn't stop itself.

    One of the biggest concerns on the minds of Connecticut commuters after the crash in Hoboken: how?

    "How? How?", asked Morrell Hargrove, who said he rides trains every day between New York and Waterbury. "It's more of a how thing I suppose than what happened, cuz how did it happen that you did not know you were that close? Were you going too fast? How did the train get off the track? Did the train jump the track? Did the train hit something else? How? Like how does that happen?"

    Photo Credit: REUTERS

    A derailed New Jersey Transit train is seen under a collapsed roof after it derailed and crashed into the station in Hoboken, New Jersey, U.S. September 29, 2016.A derailed New Jersey Transit train is seen under a collapsed roof after it derailed and crashed into the station in Hoboken, New Jersey, U.S. September 29, 2016.

    0 0

    Doctors who treated a strange case of Zika say sweat and tears may be able to transmit the virus, NBC News reports.

    A team at the University of Utah School of Medicine said their case, of a man who infected his adult son with Zika before he died, leaves no other alternatives than those two routes, according to their study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

    The 73-year-old patient died in July, and he hadn't been very sick before he caught the virus and developed muscle aches, diarrhea and other symptoms. He became the first person in an American state to die of Zika.

    Investigators spent weeks trying to figure out how his 38-year-old son, who hadn't traveled to a place where Zika spreads, got infected, eventually determining that "infectious levels of virus may have been present in sweat or tears," which the son touched without gloves during his father's illness.

    Photo Credit: AP

    In this July 19, 2016, photo, Nadja Mayerle with the Salt Lake City Mosquito Abatement District looks at a mosquito. Health authorities in Utah were investigating a unique case of Zika found in a person who had been caring for a relative who had an unusually high level of the virus in his blood. A team of doctors argue in a medical paper that it must have been transmitted by the relative's sweat and/or tears.In this July 19, 2016, photo, Nadja Mayerle with the Salt Lake City Mosquito Abatement District looks at a mosquito. Health authorities in Utah were investigating a unique case of Zika found in a person who had been caring for a relative who had an unusually high level of the virus in his blood. A team of doctors argue in a medical paper that it must have been transmitted by the relative's sweat and/or tears.

    0 0

    Appalled by the continued bombing of a besieged Syrian city, Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday that the United States is on the verge of ending negotiations with Russia over a cease-fire in the nation, NBC News reported.

    The announcement comes weeks after the two nations reached a cease-fire agreement that has since been repeatedly breached, and the White House has said it holds Russia responsible as Syria's military launched a new offensive to take the city from rebels.

    "The bombing of Aleppo right now is inexcusable," Kerry said at an event in Washington, D.C., adding that roughly 400 civilians in the city have been killed there in the last eight days.

    U.S. Ambassador to the the U.N. Samantha Power said Thursday that "what [Syrian President Bashar al-]Assad and Russia are doing in Aleppo is soul-shattering."

    Photo Credit: AP, File
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    In this May 16, 2016, file photo, Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, right, arrive for a meeting in Vienna, Austria.In this May 16, 2016, file photo, Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, right, arrive for a meeting in Vienna, Austria.

    0 0

    Centerplan Construction, the original general contractor and developer of Dunkin’ Donuts Park in Hartford, is looking to put the brakes on future construction at the stadium, according to documents obtained by NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters.

    The construction company is asking a Superior Court judge to file a motion to preserve the stadium work site in its current condition in an effort to preserve evidence in its lawsuit against the City of Hartford.

    The motion comes after Arch Insurance, the surety that guarantees completion of the project, hired Whiting-Turner Construction as the new general contractor. Arch tells the troubleshooters that work at the ballpark will begin next week.

    Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin has said the city has an agreement in principal with Arch Insurance to complete Dunkin Donuts Park in time for the start of the Hartford Yard Goats' season in April 2017.

    The park was supposed to be finished to for the Yard Goats inaugural season this past spring, but several construction delays and missed deadlines caused the City to fired Centerplan in June.

    In July, Centerplan filed a lawsuit against the City of Hartford and the owner of the Yard Goats.

    Centerplan said it is looking for an injunction against the city because it did not use the proper dispute resolution channels laid out in their joint agreement before the city fired them, the complaint claims.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    Dunkin' Donuts Park in HartfordDunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford

older | 1 | .... | 1550 | 1551 | (Page 1552) | 1553 | 1554 | .... | 2520 | newer