Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News Top Stories

older | 1 | .... | 237 | 238 | (Page 239) | 240 | 241 | .... | 2519 | newer

    0 0

    Danbury police have made two arrests after an 8-year-old went to the school nurse about a suspicious injury. The child suffered from blisters and investigators determined they were caused by something an adult had placed on the child’s foot and in shoes, according to police.

    The child, who attends a Danbury school suffered blisters on his or her left foot and told the school nurse and hospital staff that a man who had stayed at the family’s house had caused the injuries by putting a substance on the child’s toes and in their shoes, police said.

    Vilma Samaniego, 30, of Danbury, a female relative of the child met, with the child at the hospital and the child immediately changed the story about how the injuries were sustained, police said.

    No medical cause for the injuries was discovered, but investigators determined that a crime had been committed.

    The state Department of Children and Families contacted the Danbury Police Special Victims Unit about the suspicious injuries on Aug. 28.

    Police said the suspect was identified as Nelson Samaniego, 44, of New Haven. New Haven police went to his workplace, took him into custody and turned him over to detectives from the Danbury special victims unit.

    Samaniego was charged with risk of injury to a minor, second-degree assault and cruelty to persons.

    He was held on a $250,000 bond. 

    Police also arrested Vilma Samaniego and charged her with risk of injury to a minor, interfering with the duties of a police officer and hindering prosecution. 

    She was held on a $50,000 bond.  

    Both were arraigned on Aug. 29 at Danbury Superior Court and are being held on bond by the Department of Corrections.

    Photo Credit: Danbury police

    Danbury police arrested Nelson and Vilma Samaniego after an 8-year-old suffered suspicious injuries.Danbury police arrested Nelson and Vilma Samaniego after an 8-year-old suffered suspicious injuries.

    0 0

    The area around 300 Shaker Road in Enfield is closed after two vehicles collided head-on this afternoon. The crash site is in the area of Taylor Road.

    LifeStar was originally called but was cancelled.

    An NBC Connecticut crew is on the way to the scene.

    More information will be posted once it is available.

    View Larger Map

    Photo Credit:

    A two-vehicle crash closed Shaker Road in Enfield on Friday.A two-vehicle crash closed Shaker Road in Enfield on Friday.

    0 0

    A New Jersey woman who was being sexually assaulted managed to wrestle away her attacker's knife and stab him in the chest, officials said.

    The woman was attacked inside the suspect's home on Stevens Avenue in Jersey City at about 5 a.m. Thursday. Prosecutors say the pair had known each other for a few days. 

    The woman broke free, struggled against her attacker outside his house, took his knife and stabbed him several times, according to prosecutors and witnesses.

    "He was bleeding," said neighbor Christopher Shirden. "She wasn't bleeding. There was blood on her, but it probably was his." 

    He was in intensive care Friday.

    The 45-year-old suspect works in the Hudson County roads department.

    He is charged with kidnapping, criminal restraint, aggravated sexual assault and other counts.

    The suspect's home in Jersey CityThe suspect's home in Jersey City

    0 0

    Before Marilyn Krupnick was a science teacher at Northeast Philadelphia's Wilson Middle School, she was a student there. When she stepped through the building's doors for the first time in 1956 with her mother, she was shocked by what she saw.

    "I said, 'Mom, this school is an art museum.'"

    About 70 pieces of art lined the walls, including works by the famous African-American painter Henry Ossawa Tanner and Philadelphian Dox Thrash.

    Many years later, as the head of Wilson Middle School's mentally gifted program, Krupnick taught students about the 19th- and 20th-century paintings.

    "And you know what's amazing?" she said. "Not one student damaged any painting in the building. And we had some wild kids."

    The School District of Philadelphia has approximately 1,125 paintings, photos, sculptures and other pieces that are scattered throughout city schools and an undisclosed storage facility.

    Most of the artwork was donated to the schools or purchased for low prices over several decades. The collection even includes portraits by Thomas Eakins, one of the country's most beloved painters.


    In the midst of an unprecedented budget crisis, school district officials are now thinking about selling the pieces. They asked companies this summer to bid on a contract to appraise and auction the art, a move that has largely flown under the radar.

    Spokesman Fernando Gallard said the district issued a request for quotation, or RFQ, for a simple reason.

    "We are considering selling the art collection because we must look at every revenue source possible to assist us with putting more resources the classroom," he said.

    Facing a $304 million budget deficit, the district sent pink slips this summer to nearly 3,900 employees, including teachers, guidance counselors and safety staff. The district received emergency funding from the city and state after the layoffs, but only enough to hire back 1,600 workers.

    It is unclear how much money the district could raise by selling the collection. In 2003, an art consultant said it was worth $30 million. Gallard said it is now valued at $2 million, but couldn't explain the change.

    The fact that the district is eyeing a sale drew a range of responses from education advocates, school employees and city officials.

    Krupnick, who is now retired, said the artwork shouldn't be sold to the highest bidder because it could end up in private hands, never to be seen by Philadelphia school kids.

    For her, that would be a tragic ending to an even more tragic story, which began in 2003.


    Then-district CEO Paul Vallas decided to conduct a survey of the art at schools throughout the city. Afterward, district officials said about 200 pieces at Wilson Middle and other schools were in danger of being stolen or damaged, so they quickly moved them to a top-secret storage facility.
    Gallard said former officials did not notify school employees before boxing up the art because they believed that could have put it at risk.

    "One day, an unmarked truck pulled up," said Krupnick. "The paintings were all hung on wires, with beautiful frames and lighting. They just started snipping wires. We were all crying hysterically."

    The Philadelphia Inquirer, Los Angeles Times, National Public Radio and several other media outlets reported on the district's discovery of its valuable collection.

    Teachers and principals called for it to be returned to schools. Some education advocates said it should be sold to help shore up the district's budget. But for almost 10 years, neither one of those things happened, and the paintings languished in storage.

    Krupnick is afraid that Wilson's paintings could be stolen now if they were returned to the school. The next best thing, she said, is for them to be available for children to view at a museum, ideally for free.

    Arlene Holtz, a former principal at Wilson Middle School, agrees. She said the district's proposal goes against the wishes of teachers and administrators who collected the art decades ago with the explicit goal of educating children.

    "You never know whose life you touch with a painting or a choir rehearsal or a show performance," she said. "Putting up paintings in a school — that first generation ... those teachers, those parents — that was an act of faith. We've broken that faith. I really feel, deeply, we've broken faith with that generation."

    Helen Gym, co-founder of the advocacy group Parents United for Public Education, urged the district to be cautious while considering an auction.

    "What you don't want is a fire sale and a frantic desperation to dump things," she said, "for what's essentially not going to be that much money."

    Gym also worries that the proceeds would be used to pay off the district's massive debt service, instead of funding school programs. Gallard said the money "would definitely be going to back to schools."


    Donna Cooper, executive director of the nonprofit Public Citizens for Children and Youth, supports selling at least some of the paintings to raise money for the district's art and music programs.

    She noted that many of Philly's schools do not currently have choruses or annual plays.

    "At this point," she said, "if we can get another year of art and music out of it, it's probably a better use of the picture than having it be on the wall and reminiscing about when we had art and music for children."

    City Controller Alan Butkovitz, who has audited the art collection, said selling it would be an improvement over storing it indefinitely.

    But he warned that may not be as easy as it sounds. He said some pieces are damaged or missing.

    For instance, he said, murals at the former Thomas Middle School were painted over during a renovation. (It is now the Mastery Charter Schools' Thomas Campus.) He said the pieces were valued at $210,000.

    To further complicate matters, Butkovitz said, the district may have a hard time determining who owns the artwork.

    "There were claims that teachers owned them, or they belonged to associations, so that has to be sorted out," he said. "But nine years is way too long to grapple with these decisions."

    Gallard said the district unquestionably owns the entire collection. He declined to confirm or deny Butkovitz's claim that Thomas' murals had been destroyed.

    The district's proposal to auction off the collection faces another barrier. The School Reform Commission needs to approve a sale of the work.

    In the midst of a doomsday budget, though, it's hard to imagine the SRC won't.

    This story is reported through a news coverage parternship between and

    Photo Credit: Office of the Philadelphia Controller

    Painting by J. Winfaley is one of more than 1,000 pieces of artwork owned by the School District of Philadelphia that may be sold for extra cash.Painting by J. Winfaley is one of more than 1,000 pieces of artwork owned by the School District of Philadelphia that may be sold for extra cash.

    0 0

    A Massachusetts diner is facing widespread public backlash and calls for a boycott for refusing to serve to a veteran and his service dog.

    Big I's, in Oxford, Mass., has been bombarded with angry phone calls, comments on online review sites and even arson threats in response to its treatment of James Glaser, an Iraq veteran, and his dog Jack.

    Glaser, who says he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and carries paperwork confirming Jack's status, said that he had just stepped in the restaurant for lunch Saturday when he heard someone say "get that F-ing fake service dog out of my restaurant." The owner of the eatery refused to let the dog stay, even after a call to police confirmed that the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits businesses from denying entry to certified service dogs like Jack.

    "Just the fact he did it in public, I never felt so belittled in my life," Glaser told NECN in an interview.

    Big I's owner, Russel Ireland, stood by his decision earlier this week, though he acknowledged that he may have overreacted. He said he should have told Glaser he wouldn't allow the dog inside after an earlier visit in which Glaser upset him by feeding the dog off of a plate.

    "This is not a needs dog to me," Ireland said. "He did not come in with a harness. There's no muzzle on it."

    Glaser's story sparked national interest after a Facebook post he wrote went viral, receiving more than 20,000 likes. Supporters responded by making profanity-laden calls to the eatery and posting Yelp reviews urging customers to dine elsewhere. They are now planning a weekend rally and a boycott.

    “You got someone with a service dog,” Air Force veteran Ron McGrath, a Glaser supporter. “Legally, you should have accepted him and not made a big deal out of it. Now [Ireland] is being very belligerent about it so he gets what he deserves.”

    Some local residents have defended Ireland, saying it was his call to make.

    “I have a lot of respect for vets, but then again, the owner owns the place,” said Arnold Allaire, who supports the diner. “He has the right to say what goes.”


    Katelyn Tivnan is a reporter for

    James Glaser and his service dog.James Glaser and his service dog.

    0 0

    Mosquitoes trapped in Hampton have tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis.

    The mosquitoes were captured near Hampton Reservoir on Monday, according to the Department of Public Health. They are the bird-biting species,but the presence of EEE in Hampton should be a concern, officials said.

    "The identification of a pool of EEE-positive mosquitoes in Hampton and yesterday's announcement of the first human case of West Nile virus underscore how important it is for people to take steps to protect themselves from mosquito bites," said Dr. Jewel Mullen, commissioner of the Department of Public Health.

    A Stratford resident in their 60s became the state's first confirmed human case of West Nile on Thursday.

    Last week, state officials shut down parts of the Pachaug State Forest in Voluntown after human-biting mosquitoes trapped in the area tested positive for EEE.

    Crews from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection sprayed insecticide in the Pachaug State Forest to try and cut down on the number of mosquitoes in the area.

    "This Labor Day weekend, I urge everybody who will be spending time outdoors to use insect repellent, cover their bare skin, and avoid being outdoors during dusk and dawn," Mullen said.

    0 0

    The Up or on the Rocks nightclub in Hartford will close its doors after two fatal shootings this month that apparently stemmed from altercations at the club.

    Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra asked the club to close. The owner agreed and will be meeting with city officials to come up with a plan to possibly reopen in the future.

    Last night, a 21-year-old East Hartford man with a gunshot wound to the chest was found on Allyn Street, about a block away from Up or On the Rocks, on Union Place.

    Police have identified the victim as Miguel Delgado and said he suffered a single gunshot wound to the chest.

    Police believe Delgado had gotten into an altercation with someone in the club and the fight escalated outside, where someone pulled out a gun and shot him.

    Police were in the area early this morning, heard a single gunshot and rushed to the crime scene at Church and High streets.

    Investigators are now trying to zero in on the shooter and said they are looking for someone in New Haven. No one is in custody.

    This is the second fatal shooting that apparently stemmed from an altercation at the club and Mayor Pedro Segarra will meet with the .

    Early on Sunday morning, August 4, Brian Simpe, 19, of Manchester, was shot in the chest outside the nightclub.

    Police said it stemmed from a fight over a girl.

    Simpe's friends said he was trying to break up a fight when he was shot.

    Now Segarra, wants police to be in clubs where people under the age of 21 gather.

    Segarra said the city and the club will be working together to create a plan for the future, but the problem goes beyond this one establishment.

    He wants to ensure that the state's capital city does a better job of making clubs comply with state statutes, especially on alcohol.

    He added that he would prefer for youths not to be in places where liquor is served, but the city needs to work with the state on laws.

    He issued a warning for people who are under 21 not to go into Hartford and drink.

    "Don't be a fool," he said.

    0 0

    Comedian Dave Chappelle rankled fans in Hartford, Conn., on Thursday night when he cut short a performance and sat silently on a stool for nearly a half hour before walking off stage.

    Chappelle, who was headlining the Funny or Die Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Tour, was on stage at the Comcast Theatre in Hartford for just a few minutes, when he suddenly stopped his routine and said the audience was making too much noise, one witness said. For the next 25 minutes, he sat on a stool, read from a book, told the crowd he was still getting paid and then eventually walked off the stage, a witness said.

    Some fans are upset and want a refund.

    "He didn't do anything. He just stood there. ... He wanted quiet. He wanted everyone to be quiet while he performed," one audience member said.

    Others Tweeted, defending Chappelle and blamed the crowd for being unruly. 

    According to Hartford Police, extra patrols were called in as a precaution and for potential crowd control.

    There's no official word on why Chappelle walked off the stage. The 15-city Funny or Die festival is Chappelle's first major stand-up tour since he abrupty stopped production of his Comedy Central show and reportedly checked himself into a South African mental health facility in 2005. The next scheduled stop for the tour is tonight in Pittsburgh, Pa.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    0 0

    A fund to benefit the victims of the Bella Vista Apartment fire has been set up after the massive blaze ripped through the apartment complex in New Haven and damaged an entire side of the building.

    The fire damaged 171 units. There are still many people who aren't able to return home. 

    “There's no way to prepare for a situation like this.  Without electricity, they cannot be back in their homes,” said Dorothy Harper, Co-Chair of the 11th Ward Democratic Committee.

    Some people will be coming back the first and second weeks in September.  Others will continue to wait as the building management works to repair the heavily damaged apartments.  Because tenants had to rush out, and were left with nothing, people like Dorothy Harper and Beatrice Codianni are trying to collect things for them.  They are also trying to raise money to get them what they need.  They helped to start the "Bella Vista Fire Fund" at Start Community Bank.

    “The people are really having a tough time living in the hotels.  They don't have access to basic things,” said Codianni.

    The fund isn't the only place collecting donations.  Codianni says fund organizers have been reaching out to area businesses to pitch in.

    “Stop and Shop was wonderful and said that on September 21st and September 22nd, they will allow us to collect funds outside the store in East Haven,” she said.

    West Haven is also doing its part through the WHEAT food pantry on Washington Avenue. 

    “We asked our residents to see if they could help.  They've been great, but we're asking if they could do some more to help the people at Bella Vista,” said Mayor John Picard.

    Donations can be made to Bella Vista Fire Fund and mailed to:

    Bella Vista Fire Fund
    L. R. Codianni, Treasurer
    C/O Start Community Bank
    258 Grand Avenue
    New Haven, Ct 06513

    0 0

    Calvin Presbyterian Church in West Philadelphia is hoping police will be able to track down the burglars who targeted their church.

    "These guys know what they were doing. These are no amateurs," Elder Ron Ricks of Calvin Presbyterian told NBC10 Philadelphia's Nefertiti Jaquez.

    The thieves pried open a door to the church during the overnight hours when no one was around. "It's very odd. It's almost like they've been here and they knew what they wanted and came back to get it," said Ricks.

    The burglars allegedly swiped about $11,000 worth of antique chandeliers and chairs from the pulpit.

    "They would have to be heartless, ruthless, and have no sense of respect for God or a church building," said Ricks.

    This church has been a fixture in the community for 112 years.

    Calvin Presbyterian is one of six churches in the city hit by burglars just this week.
    Police aren't able to confirm if all these cases are linked.

    Photo Credit: NBC10 Philadelphia

    0 0

    At 96 years old, Jeanne Simmons had planned to live out her days in the Falls Church, Va. area town home she purchased for $1,000 back in 1957.

    Instead, the former teacher finds herself at the center of a property rights dispute, a story first reported by the Annandale Blog.

    Built in the 1940s, the Hillwood Square town house complex where Simmons lives was sold in June to property development company Avalon Bay. The complex is a co-op, meaning each resident owns one share. Simmons was among a group of residents who fought the sale, but lost when two-thirds of the owners voted in favor of the deal.

    Residents were given until Aug. 23 to move out. Everyone left, except Jeanne Simmons.

    "I like Virginia," Simmons told News4 Washington's Northern Virginia Bureau chief Julie Carey. "I like this house even with all the flaws."

    But recently it has become even more difficult to stay. A water main break forced the City of Falls Church to have the water cut off, so Simmons' tap is dry. Avalon Bay and Simmons' friends have been bringing her water jugs.

    Simmons' two-story, two-bedroom home is filled with life-long mementos and artwork painted by her son. Simmons was a longtime volunteer for the Republican Party, and most rooms feature photos of President George W. Bush. A hand-written, signed letter from him is positioned next to Simmons' bed.

    Simmons' friend Pierre Joligard stopped by Friday with supplies and spent some time singing French songs with Simmons.

    "It's terrible," Joligard said. "The time she's been living here, she doesn't want to move anywhere. When you are old, you are attached to every single thing that is in your house. All her life is situated here."

    A former neighbor tried to bring in some boxes to encourage Simmons to pack up.

    "I got two of them in her house and then she said, 'No, I don't want any more. I'm not going anywhere,'" said Tabi Yothers.

    Aug. 26, Avalon Bay's attorneys sent a follow-up notice to Simmons asking her to leave within five days. In a written statement Avalon Bay spokesman Kurt Conway says:

    “We are very upset at the way this unfortunate situation has developed. We have tried very hard to work out a reasonable approach with the family, and we have repeatedly attempted to explain the necessity of relocating Mrs. Simmons, who will receive for her co-op membership interest the price that was negotiated by the Hillwood Square Mutual Association. Unfortunately, we have had no cooperation from the family."

    An Avalon Bay representative said the company has offered to pay for a hotel room for Simmons if she will move out.

    Simmons' son, John, lives in Colorado. He says while he has power of attorney, he must legally follow his mother's wishes.

    "My mother does not intend to vacate her home on any date," John Simmons said. "She has a right to occupy her home. She is going to challenge the sale all the way back to day one."

    Friends say they will continue to look in on Simmons, but they worry about conditions in her town home.

    "Things have gone downhill for her because people who lived here took care of her and checked on her, cleaned her house, did her dishes and made sure she had food and everything else," said former neighbor Yothers. "We've tried to help her with various other options but her thing was, 'I don't want to leave. I want to be here if I have to die here.'"

    0 0
  • 08/30/13--20:15: Top News Photos of the Week

  • View weekly updates on the very best photos in domestic and foreign news.

    Photo Credit: AP

    Israeli soldiers take part in a drill in the Golan Heights, near the border between the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights and Syria, Friday, Aug. 30, 2013. Syria has become top news this week with Sen. John Kerry addressing the public, calling Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad as a Israeli soldiers take part in a drill in the Golan Heights, near the border between the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights and Syria, Friday, Aug. 30, 2013. Syria has become top news this week with Sen. John Kerry addressing the public, calling Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad as a "thug and a murderer." Click to see more photos from the week of Aug. 25 through 31.

    0 0

    A man accused of beating his wife with an iron fireplace poker and then biting her nipple is now being charged with attempted premeditated murder following an appearance in a Broward County bond court.

    Robert Ruman was initially charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, domestic violence and committing/attempting a specified felony for the July 25 attack.

    Officials said Robert Ruman and wife Judy Ruman had been talking about getting a divorce, but the husband objected. That's when he "completely lost control" and made threats to kill her and then himself, an arrest report said.

    Robert Ruman first hit his wife with his fist, then hit her in the head with the fireplace poker, officials said.

    Judy Ruman was taken to Broward Health North to be treated for open wounds on her head and face, along with permanent damage to her nipple and other injuries to her back, torso, arms and legs.

    Robert Ruman continues to be held without bond following the new charge.

    More Local Stories:

    Photo Credit: Broward Sheriff's Office

    Robert RumanRobert Ruman

    0 0

    Two people were critically injured Friday when a strong line of storms raked the Chicago area, bringing down trees and power lines, knocking out power to thousands, and delaying the travel of thousands of commuters heading into a busy holiday weekend.

    In one incident, a woman sitting on a couch was injured when the roof collapsed on her. The building she was in, on the 1100 block of North Ashland Avenue, was under construction at the time, officials said.

    She was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County and listed in critical condition as of 7:30.

    On the northwest side of the city, a man was taken to Lutheran General Hospital and listed in critical condition after he was struck by a falling tree on the 7200 block of West Howard Street, officials said.

    Officials also believe lightning from the storms started simultaneous house fires in the Geneva area.

    The first incident took place around 7:18 p.m. in the 900 block of Sunset Road.

    The homeowner heard the lightning strike, saw flames from the kitchen window and exited the home through the front door.

    Firefighters extinguished the flames and discovered the home's gas line was damaged, according to Geneva Fire Chief Steve Olson.

    An investigation of the site indicated lightning either struck the home's supply line or a nearby tree, damaging the piping and igniting the escaping gas.

    A second house fire was reported at 7:42 p.m. in the 1500 block of Keim Circle while firefighters were still on the scene of the previous fire.

    When firefighters arrived, neighbors were attempting to control the flames shooting out of the roof of the home with a garden hose from the front yard, according to a release from the Geneva Fire Department.

    Fire officials said the center attic of the home caught fire and spreading to other parts of the roof.

    No injuries were reported in either fire.

    Temperatures in the Chicago area on Friday were in the upper 90s, and with high humidity the heat index was more than 100 degrees. All of that hot, humid air was fuel for the line of storms that began crossing the Wisconsin/Illinois state line in mid-afternoon.

    The storms topped out at about 55,000 feet and were moving to the south and east at about 25 MPH at about 5 p.m.

    Wind gusts exceeded 60 MPH in some areas and there were reports of 12 to 18-inch diameter trees down in northern suburbs. Other areas saw large hail stone falling from the sky. One of NBC Chicago's neighborhood weather sites, in Harvard, Ill., collected 3.8 inches of rainfall from the event.

    Thousands of lightning strikes were recorded. Residents were advised to get inside a sturdy structure or hard-roofed automobile until the severe weather passed.

    Reminder: there is no safe place outside when there is lightning, and lightning strikes are possible up to 30 minutes after a storm passes.

    Full ground stops were issued at both O'Hare International and Midway International while the brunt of the storm passed overhead.

    On roadways throughout the area, traffic slowed to a crawl as torrential rain diminished visibility.

    As of 9 p.m., Commonwealth Edison officials reported nearly 71,000 customers were without power.

    Storms are expected to continue to push southward into the southern suburbs during the Friday evening hours.

    Maps and Radar | Share Your Photos | Forecast | School ClosingsTraffic | Airports | Metra | CTA | Chicago OEMC





    Photo Credit: Mike Paskvan

    A stormy night from 2800 Lakeshore DrA stormy night from 2800 Lakeshore Dr

    0 0

    Dallas County health officials have identified another case of cyclosporiasis.

    The total number of cyclospora cases in Dallas County is now 38. Dallas, Tarrant, Denton and Collin counties report a total of 128 cases.

    More than 600 people in 23 states, including 282 people in Texas, have been sickened by the microscopic parasite this summer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    The CDC says that early evidence shows that the cases in Texas are not linked to the illnesses in other states.

    The source of the outbreaks in Iowa and Nebraska was linked to a salad mix served at restaurant chains in those states, but the cause in other states has not been determined.

    The source of the salad mix in Iowa and Nebraska, Taylor Farms de Mexico, suspended production and distribution of the mixes on Aug. 12 until it was given the all-clear by the Food and Drug Administration on Aug. 25.

    In the Texas outbreak, health officials are doing a lot of retracing of footsteps, said Dr. Cedric Spak at Baylor University Medical Center.

    "They have to follow the path, so it does sometimes almost seem like something you'd see on a television show -- so, boots on the ground," he said. "They have to travel. They have to go place to place to figure it out."

    In some previous cyclospora outbreaks, the cause was never discovered, federal officials say.

    Thorough washing of produce is recommended, however, it may not eliminate the risk of cyclospora transmission, according to the Dallas County health department.

    Photo Credit: AP

    In this image provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a photomicrograph of a fresh stool sample, which had been prepared using a 10 percent formalin solution and stained with modified acid-fast stain, reveals the presence of four Cyclospora cayetanensis oocysts in the field of view.In this image provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a photomicrograph of a fresh stool sample, which had been prepared using a 10 percent formalin solution and stained with modified acid-fast stain, reveals the presence of four Cyclospora cayetanensis oocysts in the field of view.

    0 0

    A Colorado man, who hid in the tank of a portable toilet at a yoga festival to spy on women, has been sentenced Friday to three years in prison and ten years of probation, according to The Associated Press

    Police arrested Luke Chrisco in 2011 after a woman at the Hanuman Yoga Festival in Boulder, Colo., discovered someone moving inside of a portable toilet, according to the AP. She then saw a feces-stained male emerge from the chamber and flee the scene.
    The 31-year-old pleaded guilty in July to attempted unlawful sexual contact and two burglary counts, KUSA-TV reported. Prosecutors dropped six other burglary charges and a misdemeanor count of criminal invasion as part of a plea agreement.
    Chrisco also admitted to spying on women through peepholes he created in numerous public bathrooms in Boulder, including the University of Colorado and Naropa University campuses, according to The Daily Camera.
    At the time of his arrest, Chrisco suffered from mental health issues such as delusional behavior and hallucinations.


    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    Police arrested Luke Chrisco in 2011 after a woman at the Hanuman Yoga Festival in Boulder, Colo., discovered someone moving inside of the portable toilet.Police arrested Luke Chrisco in 2011 after a woman at the Hanuman Yoga Festival in Boulder, Colo., discovered someone moving inside of the portable toilet.

    0 0

    A motorcyclist and a van collided on Brainard Road in Enfield Friday night.

    Officials on scene say the person riding the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene. The woman driving the van was taken to a nearby hospital. Her condition is unknown.

    Check back for updates.

    0 0

    Police are looking for a man who used a stun gun on a 69-year-old jogger and raped her in Forest Park in Queens.

    Police say the woman was jogging in the park on Monday afternoon when she was attacked. She was in a more secluded area of the park called the trail section. 

    Officials are investigating whether the assault is related to a stun gun attack on a 23-year-old woman in March.

    City councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley, a jogger herself, says she pushed for more patrols after the March attack. 

    "Every inch of the park needs to be safe," she said. "We need to be assured that. But if you're going to be out there running on your own, please stay on the main roads."

    Police say the description of the suspects in both Monday's attack and the one in March are similar. 

    -- Checkey Beckford contributed to this report. 

    0 0

    A South Florida boy received a special letter from Buckingham Palace after a chance encounter with Prince Harry in Washington, D.C.

    Juan Dada, 12, met the prince weeks earlier when on a class trip to Washington, DC. For Dada, the May trip almost didn't happen because the Boca Raton middle schooler couldn't walk.

    "I stepped on a clam and I got 10 stitches on my foot, so I didn't think I could go," he said.

    Stan Perlmutter, owner of About Thrift Store where Dada's mother volunteers, donated a wheelchair so the boy could make his trip.

    "We happen to have a portable wheelchair, so I said, 'Marta, take the wheelchair. They'll wheel him around,'" Perlmutter said.

    That wheelchair is what caught Prince Harry's attention when the two were at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the same time.

    "He came up to me and said, 'What happened' and I told him and then he shook my hand and said hi," Dada said.

    His mom Marta Perez remembers her son's excitement.

    "He said, 'Prince Harry! He was there! He shook my hand! He said hi to me mommy. I can't believe it! I can't believe it!' It was beautiful listening to him talking in that way," Perez said.

    Then, a letter from Buckingham Palace arrived at the thrift store.

    "The mailman came in and said, 'What did you guys do wrong?' I said, 'Why.' He said, 'I have a letter here from Buckingham Palace,'" Perlmutter said.

    It arrived two weeks after Perlmutter made a few calls to the British Embassy.

    He told officials that the boy was now Prince Harry's number one fan and asked if there was someway he could get something as a remembrance.

    "I didn't think it was from Prince Harry until I read the title," Dada said. "At first I thought my parents were playing a prank on me.

    To Perlmutter, Dada said, "Thank you. I was really happy."

    It was a chance meeting that happened after stepping on a seashell. Now, Dada said every time he looks at the scar on his foot, he will think of Prince Harry.

    Photo Credit: NBC 6 South Florida

    A South Florida boy was surprised by this delivery from Buckingham Palace.A South Florida boy was surprised by this delivery from Buckingham Palace.

    0 0

    A man is dead after being punched in the head during a fight early Saturday morning in North Philadelphia.

    The 40-year-old victim, police say, was punched just once in the head during a fist-fight on 17th and Cecil B. Moore around 1:15 a.m.

    He was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

    Police were able to catch the suspect after he fled on foot.

    No word on identity of the victim.

    We'll keep you updated with details as they become available.

    More News: 

    3 Shot Outside W. Philly Bar
    10 to 12 Boys Rape 2 Women in Park
    Teen Pleads Guilty in Deadly Phone Robbery

older | 1 | .... | 237 | 238 | (Page 239) | 240 | 241 | .... | 2519 | newer