Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News Top Stories

older | 1 | .... | 2460 | 2461 | (Page 2462) | 2463 | 2464 | .... | 2520 | newer

    0 0

    Hartford Police have arrested ten people after a drug bust at a restaurant on Monday.

    Detectives conducted a plain clothes narcotics operation at the Bean Pot Restaurant on Park Street.

    As a result of the operation, ten adults were arrested for narcotics-related or trespassing-related charges, officers said.

    According to detectives, officers found numerous packages of fentanyl, crack cocaine, cocaine and marijuana. Several suspects were also found to have active warrants, which were served during the booking process.

    Peter Boccacio, 50, of East Hartford, is facing possession of narcotics and criminal trespass charges.

    Carl Jones, 37, of East Hartford, is facing multiple charges including possession of narcotics, sale of narcotics and criminal trespass.

    John Gray, 37, of New Hartford, is facing possession of narcotics charges.

    Alberto Rodriguez, 20, of Hartford, is facing operating a suspended license, operating an unregistered motor vehicle and misuse of registration charges.

    Luis Galindez, 49, of Hartford, is facing possession of narcotics and possession of a controlled substance charges.

    Christopher Ayala, 28, of Hartford, had two warrants for charges including criminal trespass, interfering with police, possession of a controlled substance, operating a suspended license, failure to register registration and failure to appear.

    Kirk Marshall, 31, of Bristol, is facing possession of narcotics and criminal trespass. He also had two warrants for charges including identity theft, larceny, forgery and failure to appear.

    Rosemary Soto, 49, of Unionville, is facing possession of narcotics and criminal trespass charges.

    David Castellano, 43, of Hartford, is facing charges including operating a suspended license, operating an unregistered motor vehicle, misuse of registration, no insurance and trespass.

    Luis Ramos, 48, of Hartford is facing possession of narcotics and criminal trespass charges.

    The operation was conducted in an effort to address the ongoing open air narcotics complaints that plague the area, reported by business owners, according to police.

    Photo Credit:

    0 0

    Hartford Police have arrested the owner of a stolen vehicle, his friend and the suspected thief after an altercation on Monday night.

    Officers were called to the intersection of Airport Road and Wethersfield Avenue around 7:45 p.m. to investigate a multi-vehicle crash involving a stolen vehicle.

    When officers arrived, they learned the owner of the stolen vehicle spotted his vehicle in the south district of the city and began chasing it northbound on Wethersfield Avenue.

    The owner of the stolen vehicle ran a red light and hit a vehicle while traveling eastbound across Wethersfield Avenue onto Airport Road, police said.

    The driver of the stolen vehicle then lost control and hit the front porch of a home on Wethersfield Avenue, according to officers.

    Once stopped, the owner of the stolen vehicle and a friend of his began assaulting the suspected thief with a baseball bat, police said.

    All three people were arrested and charged.

    Gerardo Santiago, 30, of Hartford, is facing charges including larceny, reckless driving, using a motor vehicle without owner's permission, criminal trover and breach of peace.

    Felix Cruz, 37, of Hartford, is facing charges including assault, reckless driving, operating a motor vehicle without a license and breach of peace.

    Osniel Gonzalez, 34, of Hartford is facing charges including assault and breach of peace.

    Photo Credit:

    0 0

    Facebook isn't working for some users Tuesday morning, the second big outage in about a week, and Instagram users were reporting issues as well. 

    The outage appeared to hit around 8 a.m. ET. For some users, the Facebook page wouldn't load and other functionality wasn't working.

    The website outage-tracking site Downdetector reported a spike in reports of problems with Facebook starting before 8 a.m. ET. Instagram users reported issues to the site around the same time. Facebook owns Instagram.

    NBC has reached out to Facebook for comment. Its platform has been healthy since Oct. 23, according to the site, which had been inaccessible for at least one user Tuesday morning.

    Facebook also gave users problems on Monday, Nov. 12. just 1 p.m. ET. Users started to report that it was back online about 30 mintues later. A Facebook page that tracks the platform's status said it was healthy after having been inaccessible.

    Photo Credit: Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images, File

    Facebook and Instagram logos are seen on mobile phones.Facebook and Instagram logos are seen on mobile phones.

    0 0

    Photo Credit: NBC10 Boston

    0 0

    Some members of the Saudi royal family are pushing to prevent the crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, from becoming king, three sources close to the royal court told Reuters.

    The dozens of royals who want to see a change in the line of succession recognize that King Salman, 82, is unlikely to turn against his favorite son. But amid international uproar over the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, they are discussing the possibility of Salman's younger brother, Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz, taking the throne after Salman's death.

    Prince Ahmed would have the support of members of the family, security forces and some Western powers, one source said.

    Prince Ahmed could not be reached for comment, and officials in Riyadh did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

    Photo Credit: Saudi Press Agency/AP

    In this photo provided by the Saudi Press Agency, SPA, Saudi King Salman gives his annual policy speech in the ornate hall of the consultative Shura Council, Monday, Nov. 19, 2018, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.In this photo provided by the Saudi Press Agency, SPA, Saudi King Salman gives his annual policy speech in the ornate hall of the consultative Shura Council, Monday, Nov. 19, 2018, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

    0 0

    A few minutes are making for quite the debate in West Hartford. On Tuesday, school leaders are set to vote on whether to push the start time of schools.

    The controversial change has stemmed from studies that point to students performing better in school when they get more sleep.

    When you ask parents and teachers what they think, most people are on the same page.

    Back in June, a survey was given to the 1,000 parents and teachers in the district.

    It found a majority of people are in favor of later start times for the high school.

    They also like the idea for the middle school, but by a smaller margin.

    As for the elementary schools, most are happy with the current start times.

    The Board of Education has narrowed it down to four options.

    The first option is a one hour delay for high schools and a 25 minute delay for elementary schools.

    The second option is a varying delay for all schools except the middle school, which would start 20 minutes earlier.

    The third option is delaying start times on Wednesdays only for high schools and middle schools.

    The final option is to keep all start times the same.

    The vote is slated to be made at 7 p.m

    0 0

    A witness to a Marine's act of heroism just two months before his tragic death recounted the incident to NBC 7 and explained why she thinks the man should always be remembered.

    Two months ago, United States Marine Corps Sgt. Gary Wilson, 33, of Fairfield, CT, saved two people from a burning car on State Route 163.

    Kristina Hill and another man saw the crash, too, and also pulled over to help. As they looked for a rock or hard object to break the window with, Sgt. Wilson walked up and broke it with his elbow.

    "When I looked up, Gary Wilson was walking towards the car very stoically, quickly, no kind of emotion on his face. He walked right up to the car and busted out the window with his elbow. He reached in and pulled the woman out and cradled her to safety. It was sort of like right out of a movie."

    The other woman in the car was alert, but couldn't move her arms to unlock the door, Hill said. She walked to the other side to help her, but Wilson was already there.

    "Gary Wilson, again, was there. He had pried open the door, pulled her out and carried her out to another car."

    Hill continued.

    "Just like that. No hesitation. Just very heroic. I've never seen anything like it."

    Hill said the disabled car was engulfed in flames within two minutes and was ready to explode.

    "I believe wholeheartedly he saved their lives," she said.

    Wilson's courage and selflessness had a profound impact on Hill and the two stayed in touch after the crash.

    Wilson told Hill about another crash he witnessed just a week later in the same area. He pulled over and gave CPR to a man who ultimately died at the scene from his injuries.

    Further inspired by his heroism, Hill wrote a letter of recommendation for Wilson to receive a recognition medal for his efforts. She said Wilson was never looking for any recognition, but she wanted him to get it.

    "He was a Marine and he said that's what Marines do," Hill said.

    Wilson was a drill instructor at MCRD after tours of duty in Okinawa and Camp Pendleton.

    He earned two Good Conduct Medals, three Sea Service Deployment Ribbons, National Defense Service Medal, and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.

    He was killed in a motorcycle crash Friday evening on northbound I-15, according to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD). After learning of his tragic death, Hill said she could only scream in disbelief.

    "I just hope he knows that his life was so important and that he touched so many people and I'm going to share his story all my life," she said.

    To Hill, Wilson's story needs to be told because she says we're living in a time with so much negativity and division.

    "I want him to know and his family to know he did change the world and he made an impact and that he's not going to be forgotten... Whoever brought him up and raised him did an amazing job."

    MCRD San Diego released the following statement after Wilson's death:

    "We extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Sgt. Wilson. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult period. This is truly the loss of a fine Marine, and he will be missed greatly."

    0 0

    A safe was stolen from the Southern CT Wellness Center in Milford and police have released surveillance photos from the scene.

    Officers responded to the wellness center at 318 New Haven Ave. Sunday night after the burglary alarm went off and found the business was broken into and a safe was stolen.

    Police said cash was in the safe.

    They have released photos of people they believe broke in and took the safe.

    Anyone with information about the burglary is asked to call Milford Police Department, Detective Noss at 203-783-4765 or email

    Photo Credit: Milford Police

    0 0

    A 13-year-old Long Island boy battling a rare and deadly form of leukemia stood with his parents in family court Monday, sharing another disappointment as a New York judge rejected the family's emergency petition to halt his daily chemotherapy treatments. 

    "I don't need chemo because I don't have any more cancer in my body," Nicholas Gundersen told reporters Monday. "It's difficult because every time I get it, I always feel sick. And I don't want to feel sick if I don't have to feel sick." 

    The teen's cancer is said to be in remission, but his doctors at NYU Winthrop Hospital insist the boy needs 40 more months of chemotherapy. A spokesman for NYU Winthrop said previously, "Unless chemotherapy is continued, those [cancer] cells can once again multiply and the results are usually fatal." 

    When mom Candace Gundersen decided not to continue chemotherapy treatments for her son, instead seeking a second opinion from other doctors and planning to focus on a non-toxic alternative therapy for the teen, Suffolk County's Child Protective Services seized custody of Nicholas.

    That move has blocked Candace Gundersen from making any decisions about her son's medical care.

    "It's very disturbing to me that the government has basically kidnapped my child," said Candace Gundersen.

    Nicholas was kept at at NYU Winthrop Hospital for at least a week with a special GPS bracelet to track his movements until a judge approved him moving into the custody of a family friend, where his mother was allowed to live with him. 

    Family supporters came to court Monday wearing t-shirts reading "Justice for Nick." But the judge refused to grant the outcome they were seeking. 

    "The judge is not listening to the constitutional rights of these parents,"  the family's lawyer Elliot Schlissel says. 

    Dennis Nowak, a spokesman for the Suffolk Department of Social Services, said Monday night in response to the judge's ruling, "Child Protective Services is proceeding in accordance with the Suffolk County Family Court order, and will continue to do so to ensure the child's medical needs are met." 

    The hearing for the case is scheduled for December, and the family is hoping it will be the first step toward regaining control of their son's medical care. 

    Candace Gundersen told reporters, "I believe that in the end justice will be served, and that we will be free to take Nicholas and to take care of him properly." 

    Photo Credit: News 4 NY

    Nicholas Gundersen with his father in court MondayNicholas Gundersen with his father in court Monday

    0 0

    The Department of Homeland Security is gathering intelligence from paid undercover informants inside the migrant caravan that is now reaching the California-Mexico border as well as monitoring the text messages of migrants, according to two DHS officials.

    The 4,000 migrants, mainly from Honduras, have used WhatsApp text message groups as a way to organize and communicate along their journey to the California border, and DHS personnel have joined those groups to gather that information, NBC News reported.

    The intelligence gathering techniques are combined with reports from DHS personnel working in Mexico with the government there in an effort to keep tabs on the caravan's size, movements and any potential security threats.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    Shadows are reflected on a wall as members of the Central American migrant caravan moves in the pre-dawn hours on Nov. 2, 2018, in Matias Romero, Mexico.Shadows are reflected on a wall as members of the Central American migrant caravan moves in the pre-dawn hours on Nov. 2, 2018, in Matias Romero, Mexico.

    0 0

    Beginning Tuesday, when an adult 21 years-old or older crosses the state line into Massachusetts, he or she can legally purchase recreational marijuana, but there will be repercussions for bringing it back to Connecticut.

    "Just because something is legalized in Massachusetts doesn’t mean that it’s legalized in Connecticut," says Enfield police chief Alaric Fox. "The possession of something in Connecticut that remains illegal in Connecticut is, in fact, on offense."

    Enfield police, who neighbor the state line, are giving this clear message to all residents, visitors, and drivers of the state. What’s not clear is if drivers will listen to this warning, sneaking it over.

    “It probably will come across the state line,” says Valarie Dumais of East Windsor, who worries about impaired driving while under the influence. “I think [police are] going to have to come up with some plan because if it’s going to be legal in Massachusetts, not in Connecticut, they’re going to have to come up with something to track that.”

    Chief Fox says there’s no specialized enforcement or check points starting Tuesday, but the department expects to utilize their Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) even more. A Drug Recognition Expert undergoes extensive training to be able to evaluate if someone is high. The Enfield Police Department has one DRE. All officers, however, are trained to recognize behaviors of driving under the influence.

    While there is no breathalyzer to measure marijuana intake, Chief Fox says there’s other options. "In those cases, we would switch to a different test after arrest,” says Fox. “For example, urine as opposed to a breath test, which detects the presence of narcotics in an individual’s body."

    Connecticut law has decriminalized marijuana. Possessing a small amount results in a fine. The more marijuana a person possesses, the bigger the fine, and it’s coupled with jail time.

    Photo Credit: NBC10 Boston

    0 0

    Part of Goshen Road in Torrington is closed after a serious crash and three patients have been transported from the scene.

    Fire officials said two of the victims have serious injuries.

    Two vehicles collided on Goshen Road, between Lovers Lane and Klug Hill Road, at 12:35 p.m. and police said there are road closures in the area and roads are blocked at Klug Hill Road and Lovers Lane.

    Drivers are asked to find alternate routes.

    Officials from Litchfield County Dispatch said Life Star medical transport helicopter was called but is not flying because of weather.

    As officials were responding to the crash, a call came in reporting a natural gas leak and off-duty firefighters were called to respond. Officials said that scene is now clear, but Route 4 is closed until further notice.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    One person was found shot dead outside a burning New Jersey mansion and two other bodies were also found inside, according to law enforcement sources.

    It is unclear if the two bodies found inside died from a gunshot wound or from the fire that ripped through the Colts Neck mansion on Willow Brook Tuesday afternoon.

    The identities of the victims are unknown at this time.

    Video from Chopper 4 at the scene showed thick black smoke billowing from the sprawling modern-style compound as firefighters worked to contain the blaze.

    Law enforcement sources also confirm a second fire at the Ocean Township home of a brother of someone who lives at the Colts Neck mansion.

    Ocean Township police and fire officials confirmed an arson at a Tilton Drive home. The fire was reported shortly after 5 a.m. Tuesday.

    Everyone at that home evacuated safely, according to officials. 

    Investigators at the Ocean Township scene discovered several gas cans in the rear of the house. 

    Police are investigating if the fires are connected.

    This story is developing.

    Photo Credit: Chopper 4

    0 0

    No one should eat romaine lettuce — or any lettuce at all — unless they can be sure it’s not from Arizona, federal health officials said Tuesday.

    More than 50 people have become sick in an outbreak of E. coli food poisoning linked to romaine lettuce, NBC News reported, and now several people in Alaska have also gotten ill, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new warning.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    A file photo shows a head of romaine lettuce.A file photo shows a head of romaine lettuce.

    0 0

    It took nearly 50 years, but the 1969 cold case murder of a Harvard University student has finally been solved thanks to forensic technology advances, a Massachusetts district attorney announced Tuesday afternoon.

    Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan announced that the DNA of serial rapist Michael Sumpter was linked to remaining evidence samples in the brutal sexual assault and murder of 23-year-old Jane Britton, who was found dead in her Cambridge apartment on Jan. 7, 1969.

    Sumpter died in 2001 at the age of 54 from cancer.

    "The mystery has finally been solved," Ryan said.

    Britton's brother, The Rev. Boyd R. Britton, released a statement after the announcement:

    "A half-century of mystery and speculation has clouded the brutal crime that shattered Jane's promising young life and our family. The DNA evidence match may be all we ever have as a conclusion. Learning to understand and forgive remains a challenge," said Britton.

    Britton's boyfriend went to check on her after she failed to show up for an exam.

    Officials said Britton was found sexually assaulted and suffering from multiple blunt force injuries to her head.

    There's no indication that Sumpter and Britton knew each other, according to authorities; however, Sumpter said he was working on a street near her Harvard Square apartment at the time of her death.

    Authorities said over the years, the case posed many challenges.

    "Over time as people’s memories faded and witnesses died it became even more difficult to follow up on new investigatory leads," Ryan said. Today we are able to provide closure to Jane’s family, friends and those who knew her."

    In October 2012, the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office identified Sumpter as the assailant in the Dec. 12, 1973 homicide and sexual assault of 24-year-old Mary Lee McClain at her Beacon Hill apartment in Boston.

    At that time, McClain's had been the second attributed to Sumpter through DNA testing. Two years earlier, authorities linked him to the 1972 rape and murder of 23-year-old Ellen Rutchick at her Beacon Street resident in West Roxbury.

    Photo Credit: Middlesex District Attorney's Office

    Jane Britton, 23, of Needham, Massachusetts was a Harvard University graduate student studying anthropology. She was killed on Jan. 7, 1969.Jane Britton, 23, of Needham, Massachusetts was a Harvard University graduate student studying anthropology. She was killed on Jan. 7, 1969.

    0 0

    Some Connecticut high schools are moving their Thanksgiving Day football games because of the forecast for below-freezing temperatures. 

    Abbott Tech v. MCW United

    Abbott Tech and MCW United will play Wednesday at 2 p.m.  

    Amity Regional v. North Haven

    The game between Amity Regional High School and North Haven High School has been moved to Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Vanacore Field in North Haven. 

    Bethel v. Brookfield

    Bethel and Brookfield will play Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Brookfield.

    Cromwell/Portland v. Rocky Hill

    The Cromwell/Portland v. Rocky Hill game has been moved to 6 p.m. Wednesday at Rocky Hill High School.

    East Lyme and Waterford

    The East Lyme at Waterford game has been rescheduled for 6 p.m. Wednesday. 

    Hillhouse v. Wilbur Cross

    The Hillhouse v. Wilbur Cross game will be at 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

    Norwich Free Academy v. Norwich Free Academy 

    The Norwich Free Academy v. Norwich Free Academy game is now scheduled for 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

    Notre Dame-West Haven v. Hamden

    The Notre Dame-West Haven v. Hamden will be Wednesday at 6 p.m. 

    Plainville and Farmington

    The Plainville and Farmington game has been moved to 6 p.m. Wednesday.

    Platt and Maloney

    The Platt and Maloney game has been moved to 6 p.m. at Falcon Field.

    Southington and Cheshire

    Instead of playing on Thanksgiving, the Southington and Cheshire game has been moved to 6 p.m. on Wednesday. The game will still be at the Community Turf Field at Southington High School.

    Watertown v. Torrington

    The Watertown v. Torrington game was moved to 6 p.m. Wednesday in Torrington.

    Weston v. Barlow

    Weston and Barlow will play at 5 p.m. Wednesday. 

    Temperatures will plunge into the 20s Thursday, with wind chill values that could range from -5 to -15 through the state, and this could become the coldest Thanksgiving on record. 

    This is a developing story and more games will be added as schools make decisions. 

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    0 0

    A shelter in place has been issued on the Westside campus at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury aafter an unsubstantiated report of a person with a gun in the Visual and Performing Arts building.

    School officials said a woman called 911 around 2 p.m. and reported seeing a man with a rifle inside the Visual and Performing Arts building.

    State police, Danbury Police, WestConn police and SWAT have responded and law enforcement is going room-by-room in the building. School officials said no shots were fired, no one was injured and they have not found anyone.

    The driveway to the campus is closed.

    Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton is also responding to campus.  He Tweeted that state police and Danbury police have responded to an "unsubstantiated report of a man with a long gun."

    Check back for updates.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    A few minutes are making for quite the debate in West Hartford. On Tuesday, school leaders are set to vote on whether to push the start time of schools and parents are making their voices known.

    0 0

    Inside an abandoned building on Chicago’s West Side, on a Wednesday night in October, Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier became this year’s 22nd known transgender murder victim in the United States.

    Frazier also was the second black transgender woman to be killed in Chicago within a five-week period, according to the Human Rights Campaign, a LGBTQ advocacy group.

    That night, Oct. 3, she stepped off a friend’s porch and approached a white car that had driven onto Adams Street in West Garfield Park, the Chicago Tribune reported. The driver was allegedly a regular client of the 31-year-old Frazier, who neighbors said was a sex worker.

    Neighbors would find Frazier around 9:30 p.m. in the building’s backyard, suffering from multiple stab wounds. A half an hour later, she was dead.

    Her life is among those being memorialized on Tuesday, Transgender Day of Remembrance. At least 29 transgender individuals were murdered in 2017, according to the Human Rights Campaign, and another 22 in 2018.

    Gwendolyn Ann Smith, a transgender author, said the number of known murders each year has increased since she founded the day of remembrance, in 1999 in response to the killing of a transgender woman named Rita Hester.

    In its early years, the day of remembrance consisted of small vigils in San Francisco and Boston, and they were generally recognized only by the transgender and LGBTQ community, Smith said.

    “It’s been amazing to watch it become something that is so much bigger, that is treated worldwide, written about and considered a part of the community,” she said.

    Sarah McBride, Human Rights Campaign’s national press secretary, said that the day had evolved to recognize that “transgender women of color, particularly black trans women of color, are facing the bulk of this discrimination and violence.”

    Of this year’s murders, 82 percent of the victims were transgender women of color, according to the organization’s new report, “A National Epidemic: Fatal Anti-Transgender Violence in America in 2018.”

    Mara Keisling, the founder and executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, said that the struggles of people from traditionally marginalized communities are reflected in these cases.

    “We live in a country where you are more susceptible to violence if you are a person of color, if you’re low income, if you’re a woman, if you’re an immigrant,” Keisling said. “And if you are all or most of those things at once -- a young, black, low-income trans woman -- you have a bigger bullseye on your back.”

    The 22 murders highlighted in the Human Rights Commission's report include deaths that are "influenced or contributed to by the hate and prejudice against transgender people," McBride said. But transgender activists believe that there may be more murder victims who were killed for being transgender.

    How the media cover these murders and how law enforcement and medical examiners log them —including which gender a victim is identified by and whether a legal or chosen name is used — can influence the victims list.

    Chicago’s medical examiner’s office initially filed Frazier’s record under a different name, according to the Chicago Tribune. And whereas police said Frazier was female in its reports, the medical examiner wrote her gender as unknown.

    The Human Rights Campaign’s report found that 74 percent of the victims were described with the wrong gender in initial media coverage and police documents concerning their death.

    Smith also said that there’s a common misconception that all victims of anti-transgender violence identify as transgender. But Smith said a non-trans person who is attacked because someone assumed they were transgender can also be considered a victim.

    “It’s an important distinction because a person can be affected by anti-transgender violence and never have considered themselves transgender in the first place,” Smith said.

    A report released by the FBI last week found anti-LGBTQ hate crimes rose 3 percent in 2017. More than 16 percent of federally reported hate crimes target the LGBTQ community, according to NBC News.

    Although Keisling said she thinks the increase in the number of murders may be a result of better reporting, she also believes that violence against the transgender community has grown.

    “The perpetrators feel empowered,” Keisling said. “I talk to folks all the time who have been without incidents for 25, 35 years and suddenly people are harassing them, calling them names, slapping at them and telling them to get out of bathrooms.”

    Because of the increase, McBride said that she doesn’t envision a future yet where a specific day of remembrance is not needed.

    “So long as there is a need for mourning and healing, there will be a need for a Transgender Day of Remembrance,” McBride said.

    Keisling said the Transgender Day of Remembrance is important because it reminds people that the transgender individuals were more than just victims.

    “If you’ve been to vigils and funerals, if you’ve seen mothers just crying to the point of wailing that they have lost their baby, when you see best friends who now are just horrified that they’ve lost this person who is so dear to them, these aren’t just numbers, these aren’t just the 23 people who were murdered this year,” said Keisling, referring to the number of deaths in the 12 months since the last remembrance day. “These are actually 23 remarkable people with such promise and beauty and they were just cut off. And I think remembering that is just important.”

    0 0

    Hayley Horzepa reached out to NBC Connecticut Responds for help managing health expenses she said were necessary after a fall at Mohegan Sun landed her in the hospital.

    Horzepa wanted her birthday celebration at a local casino to be memorable. It was, but not in the way she had hoped.

    “It’s been a really stressful situation,” said Horzepa.

    In September, Horzepa said she walked out to the Cabana area at the Mohegan Sun Casino to sit outside and enjoy a warm night. On her way back inside the casino, Horzepa said she hit the ground, injuring her wrist and knee.

    “I didn’t even know like why I fell? I’m thinking like what am I like clumsy? Did my shoe break? Like what’s going on?” Horzepa said.

    Horzepa provided photos of a tile that she believes was the reason for her fall. She said she was bleeding and disoriented, but insisted she wasn’t intoxicated and said she reported the incident to a manager. The casino says their surveillance video contradicts her claim that it was that tile that caused her fall.

    ”I’m thinking like an elderly person could end up with a broken bone or something…you know,” said Horzepa.

    Horzepa was transported to the hospital after omplaining of back pain.

    ”The last thing I wanted to do was to spend the night at the ER,” said Horzepa.

    In October, Horzepa said Mohegan Sun covered her trip to and from the hospital. But she still had a $587.99 emergency room bill for treatment related to lacerations to her wrist and knee.

    When she contacted Risk Management for Mohegan Sun, Horzepa told us an employee revealed that her claim was denied.

    “Their response to this was absolutely appalling,” said Horzepa.

    Hayley says she’s been going back and forth with Mohegan Sun Risk Management and has had no luck getting a resolution. So, she turned to NBC Connecticut Responds.

    The President & General Manager of Mohegan Sun, Ray Pineault tells Responds:

    “Mohegan Sun was in communication with this guest, and take all matters related to guest safety very seriously. Upon review of this particular matter, there were material discrepancies based on video review. The video footage showed the fall occurring at a different area than what was reported to security by the guest.”

    Horzepa disagreed with that claim and asked to review the video to show staff where she fell on the property. But she said Mohegan Sun declined her request.

    Still, Mohegan Sun told us: “We made restitution out of good will as our goal is always to provide as best guest satisfaction as possible.”

    Mohegan Sun confirmed that the casino reimbursed Horzepa’s $587.99 emergency room bill and that made her feel a whole lot better.

    ”There are good people out there like you Sandra,” said Horzepa. “It was like an amazing experience that you called me back.”

    Including Horzepa’s case, NBC Connecticut Responds has recovered more than $350,000 for our viewers.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    Hayley Horzepa reached out to NBC Connecticut Responds after a fall at Mohegan Sun landed her in the hospital.Hayley Horzepa reached out to NBC Connecticut Responds after a fall at Mohegan Sun landed her in the hospital.

older | 1 | .... | 2460 | 2461 | (Page 2462) | 2463 | 2464 | .... | 2520 | newer