NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Jersey Shore Waitress' 'LOL' Receipt Goes Viral


A Jersey Shore server's photo of a receipt with the letters “LOL” in place of a tip on a bill of more than $110 is drawing attention on social media, according to the Asbury Park Press.

Belmar 20-year-old Jess Jones posted a photo to Facebook of the receipt from the D’Jais Bar & Grill last week after being stiffed out of a tip on a $112 bill by a table of patrons who claimed they had to wait an hour for their food, the paper reports.

"Last night, I was stunned by this receipt that was left for me by a party of eight people," Jones wrote in the Facebook post. "I would have preferred a '$0' tip than a 'LOL' tip, but as a waitress, bad tips and harsh notes are all part of the job. Even though they did wait an hour to eat, they remained satisfied with filled drinks and proper notice that the kitchen was a bit busier than normal. I've worked in the service industry for five years and I take pride in providing great service to my customers." 

Jones said the customers' behavior wasn’t uncommon.

“I know how aggravating it is to receive a hefty bill when all night you've been wondering why the table that came in after you was served before you,” she wrote. “But waiters are mere messengers most of the time, and it's wrong to shoot them, however bad the news." 

The Asbury Park Press says that since it was posted online, the image of the receipt has gone viral, with Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty calling the lack of tip “ridiculous.” 

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Man Charged in Crash That Killed Cheshire Teen


State police have arrested a 23-year-old Berlin man in connection with a crash that killed a Cheshire teen last December.

Police arrested Anthony Longo on Friday in connection with the crash that killed Isabella Gozzo, 19, early on the morning of Dec. 13, 2014. Friends said Gozzo and Longo had been dating.

Longo was behind the wheel of a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution when he lost control of the vehicle on Route 9 in Berlin around 2:15 a.m. on Dec. 13, 2014. Gozzo was thrown from the vehicle after it hit a light pole and a rock wall and flipped over.

She pronounced dead several hours later, according to police.

Longo’s blood alcohol level was .154, almost double the legal limit, and he had marijuana in his system that night, according to state police.

Longo has been charged with second-degree manslaughter with a motor vehicle, driving under the effects of drugs or alcohol, second-degree assault with a motor vehicle and failure to drive in an established lane.

He was released and is scheduled to appear in New Britain Superior Court on Sept. 17.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Suspected of Attempted Car Burglaries Near University


Bridgeport police arrested a man suspected in connection to a string of burglaries near the University of Bridgeport.

Pharaoh Eaton, 20, of Fairfield, is accused attempting to burglarize cars parked near the university.

Bridgeport police have increased patrols near the university as they monitor an uptick in robberies and vehicle larcenies over the past three weeks or so, police said.

Someone flagged down a patrol officer at about 1:02 a.m. on Aug. 22 and reported witnessing a man checking car door handles and peeking into vehicles using a flashlight on Atlantic Street near the Lafayette Street intersection, police said. The man was described as wearing a white T-shirt and jeans.

The witness told police that a photograph of a burglary suspect that police had showed him earlier in the week looked like the man he saw peering into the cars.

University of Bridgeport security personnel canvassed the area and told police the suspect was headed south on Myrtle Avenue toward Atlantic Street, police said.

Bridgeport police apprehended Eaton and detained him until the witness came to take a look at him and positively identified him as the person he saw looking in cars, police said.

Police arrested Eaton and transported him in a patrol car to the police department for booking.

Bridgeport police charged Eaton with third-degree criminal attempted burglary.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

Governor Names New Chief of Staff


Gov. Dannel Malloy has named a new chief of staff.

Brian Durand, who currently serves as deputy chief of staff, will replace Mark Ojakian as of Monday, Sept. 28.

Ojakian announced in July that he would leave the administration by the end of the year.

Durand has served as the governor’s deputy chief of staff since 2012 and previously worked at the Office of Policy and Management.

“Brian Durand has been a trusted friend and advisor since I first began working with him in 2004,” Malloy said in a statement.

“I have been honored and privileged to work with Governor Malloy for so many years,” Durand said.

Durand, a Connecticut native, was raised in Stamford and now lives in West Hartford with his wife and their two sons.

Photo Credit: Gov. Dannel Malloy's Office

Motorcycle Driver Seriously Hurt in Torrington Crash


A motorcycle driver was seriously hurt in crash outside the Water Street fire house in Torrington, according to police.

Police said a car and motorcycle collided around 2:30 p.m. Monday in front of the fire house at 111 Water Street.

An ambulance brought the motorcycle driver to the hospital. The victim's condition is unknown.

Water Street was closed for several hours following the crash but has since reopened.

Police are investigating.

Crews Respond to Gas Leak in Manchester


There is a gas leak near the intersection of Pine Street and Cooper Hill in Manchester, according to the fire marshal’s office.

Firefighters have responded.

No one has been injured. No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBC 7

Wires Down After Car Hits Pole in Norfolk


West Side Road is closed in the area of Aetna Place in Norfolk after a car struck a pole late Monday afternoon, according to emergency dispatchers.

Dispatchers said the collision was reported around 4:20 p.m. and brought down power lines onto the road.

It's not clear if anyone was hurt. Emergency crews are just arriving at the scene.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Police Seek Plainville Bank Robber


Police are searching for the man accused of robbing a bank in Plainville last Thursday.

The robber walked into the Farmington Bank at 117 East Street around 1:30 p.m. Aug. 20 and stole an undisclosed amount of money, according to police.

Police said the robber is between 40 and 50 years old and has gray or white curly hair and a gray mustache. He was wearing a navy shirt or sweater with a black puffy coat and tan, burlap-type gloves.

The perpetrator got away in a tan older-model car, possibly a Buick, according to poilce.

Anyone with information is asked to call Plainville police at 860-747-1616.

Photo Credit: Plainville Police Department

Guilty Plea in Manchester Motel Killing


One of two men arrested in connection with a murder at Manchester motel last spring has pleaded guilty to manslaughter, according to the office of the clerk at Hartford Superior Court.

Lorenzo Billy Hernandez pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter and third-degree burglary Monday.

Hernandez and co-defendant Benjamin Thibodeau are accused of killing Bienvenido Tosado at the Manchester Inn on March 25, 2014. Thibodeau has been charged with felony murder, accessory to murder and first-degree burglary.

At the time of his arrest, police said Hernandez knew the victim and the attack was not random.

According to the Journal Inquirer, Tosado was beaten to death in a rented room at the Manchester Inn at 100 East Center Street.

Hernandez was initally charged with murder, felony murder, four counts of first-degree burglary and tampering with evidence. He pleaded not guilty to all the original charges, according to online court records.

Expect More Volatile Days on Wall Street: Economist


A local economist who's been observing Connecticut and its fiscal health for decades said the recent plunge on Wall Street isn't anything he hasn't seen before.

"This is sort of like the decline we saw in 1987. It was sharp, short-lived," said economist and West Hartford Town Manager Ron Van Winkle. "If it should continue, the 87 decline was a remarkable event but the market put itself back together, recovered, and continued to grow."

Van Winkle was initially hired in 1979 as economist for Pratt and Whitney and has provided economic analysis ever since.

"This isn’t over yet. The market continues through this week. We’ll see how they do, whether they stabilize or don’t. There is no one who knows where the market will be on Friday so we’ll see," he said.

The Dow Jones opened with a free-fall of more than 1,000 points. Two hours later, the market rallied 800 points but it later fell again, ending the day down nearly 600 points.

Van Winkle said there are multiple reasons for the fluctuation and none of them will stabilize any time soon.

"Oil prices, gas prices have fallen below $40 and that’s the lowest since the recession. The Greek economy is obviously in chaos," he said. "It’s hard to see how they’re going to come back. The Middle East hasn’t gotten any better so there's a lot of uncertainty that makes the market very easy to scare."

He added that uncertainty surrounding the Chinese economy may drive future fluctuations.

"Today we’re looking at China having some serious problems, devaluing their currency, seeing exports begin to decline substantially in China. They’re the second biggest economy in the world so when they have problems, everyone else has problems," he said.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Enfield Baby Found Safe, Father Arrested on Unrelated Charges


A 10-month-old girl reported missing from Enfield on Monday has been found safe, and the child's father has been arrested on unrelated charges, according to police.

Police issued a Silver Alert for Ava Brielle after her father picked her up Monday morning, according to the chilid's grandmother, Susan Smyth.

Smyth said Ava's parents have been having problems and that Ava's father, Caleb Wilson, grabbed the baby from her mother and sped off when they met to exchange custody Monday.

Smyth said Wilson brought Ava to the Wal-Mart where he works and said he would not be at work "for the next two days, at least."

State police canceled the alert for Ava around 6:30 p.m.

Police said the baby is safe and that WIlson has been arrested on charges unrelated to the Silver Alert. It's not clear if he has an attorney.

Photo Credit: Susan Smyth

Owner of Mystic Pizza to Serve Prison Time for Tax Evasion


The owner of Mystic Pizza, the restaurant made famous by the 1988 movie of the same name, faces a year in federal prison for hiding more than $1 million from the government between 2006 and 2011.

Restaurant owner John Zelepos, 49, of North Stonington, Connecticut, was sentenced in federal court Monday to 12 months and one day in prison, followed by three years of supervised release. His sentence will begin Oct. 30, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

Federal prosecutors said Zelepos siphoned more than $330,000 from Mystic Pizza's profits into personal and family bank accounts between 2006 and 2010. He also paid $162,000 to "no-show" employees who never worked at the restaurant.

Then, between January 2010 and January 2011, Zelepos made dozens of small deposits totaling $522,658. He kept each transaction under $10,000 to prevent the bank from reporting it, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Zelepos reported an average of $471,135 in taxable income annually, when in reality he earned an average of $616,810 per year, according to the government's sentencing memorandum.

"As a result, the defendant cheated the public and his fellow taxpayers by evading the payment of $234,407 in federal taxes for five years," the memorandum says.

Zelepos pleaded guilty in March 2015 to evading federal income taxes and structuring financial transactions.

He has paid restitution but still owes interest and penalties. Zelepos will also turn over the $522,658 he diverted in 2010.

Mystic Pizza is a name well-known to fans of Julia Roberts – the movie "Mystic Pizza," about teenagers working at pizza parlor in the Connecticut town of Mystic, helped launch her career.

It's not the first time Zelepos has been in trouble with the law. Last September, the Department of Labor accused him of depriving his employees more than $105,000 in wages.

Photo Credit: Timothy Valentine/Flickr

Brewer to Ship 51K Beer Cans of Water to Firefighters


Firefighters battling a spate of wildfires in the West will get a delivery from beer maker Anheuser-Busch this week, but the 12 ounce cans won't be filled with brew, they'll be filled with water, NBC News reported.

The maker of Budweiser, Stella Artois, Beck's and more is sending 2,156 cases of emergency drinking water — 51,744 cans — to Washington state in the coming days, Anheuser-Busch said in a statement Monday. The American Red Cross and Chelan County Public Works will distribute the cans to "communities most in need" in the Pacific Northwest, the statement said.

About 1,250 people are working to extinguish 16 wildfires in Washington alone, while California, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Colorado officials struggle to allocate limited resources as blazes ravage parts of those states.

Photo Credit: File - Getty Images

Napa Valley Wine Train Ejection Spawns #LaughingWhileBlack Backlash


It was supposed to be a book club outing, a day of bonding, wine and fun for 11 black women riding the popular Napa Valley Wine Train.

But the trip was unexpectedly cut short, they say, because they laughed too loudly.

Right after Antioch author Lisa Renee Johnson — one of the women from Saturday’s group who live-blogged the entire incident on Facebook as it kept unraveling — posted a photo of the women enjoying some reds, whites and appetizers, her next update was a photo of a woman she claims was annoyed by their laughter because the train was “not a bar.” The complaint resulted in the group getting kicked off the train.

"We were truly kicked out because we were 'laughing while back' ... It was racially charged," Johnson told NBC Bay Area Monday.

Johnson said Wine Train CEO Tony Giaccio had personally apologized to her Monday, but added that "it wasn't authentic."

"In order to solve the problem, you have to first admit there is one," she said. "They are apologizing for the bad experience, but not because of the role they played in the whole experience. They are not saying 'we are the bad actors.'"

Although the Wine Train refunded the group’s tickets, outrage is spreading fast on social media. "We are totally humilated," Johnson said, adding that the group is guilty of nothing except #LaughingWhileBlack, a hashtag that has caught on online, where people are reacting with both humor and anger.

"Laughing and eating cheese and grapes while Black. Damn, you're scary," Tonya Marie Amos wrote on Facebook.

"I'm white," tweeted @Theonlyadult. "I'll never get on your racist train. #laughingwhileblack"

A number of people are discussing a boycott of the Wine Train on Twitter, Facebook and Yelp, where the business has received some of its harshest criticism.

According to Johnson, at one point, the train’s maître d'hotel came by and asked the group to tone it down so that other passengers didn’t feel uncomfortable.

"Facebook Family, we have a problem!" Johnson wrote at 12:54 p.m. "We sipped wine, enjoyed each other's company but our trip is being cut short. We are a group of 12 ... if we all laugh at the same time it's loud! When we get to St. Helena they are putting us off the train."

Her next photo showed the book club members waiting to be escorted off the train. “We are in purgatory," her caption read.

When the train reached St. Helena, four police officers were waiting by the track. “WOW! They paraded us through 6 cars and none of us are even drunk ... the police were waiting,” Johnson wrote.

A Wine Train spokesperson confirmed their removal to the Napa Valley Register, saying that at least three passengers had complained about the noise level.

"If guests are being severely disruptive, that’s when we discuss whether they should be removed,"spokesperson Kira Devitt told the paper. “We don’t make that judgment unless we receive a complaint from the people around them.” Devitt said that the Wine Train management was looking into Saturday’s incident to see if employees had violated any policies.

Johnson said Giaccio identified areas of improvement during their conversation Monday. "He said 'this is not how we want the Wine Train to be portrayed,'" she said.

A Change.org petition is demanding an apology for the book club, the Sisters on the Reading Edge, whose members include an 83-year-old grandmother who was ejected from the train as well. Video footage shows some of the women crying as they leave the train.

"A trip which was to be an enjoyable day of sisterhood, turned into a day of humiliation,” the petitioner Toni Battle wrote. "To see an elder leaning on her cane by the train as if it's 1954 Alabama, spoke volumes regarding your business practices.“

A message on the Wine Train’s Facebook page Saturday that was later taken down said: “following verbal and physical abuse towards other guests and staff, it was necessary to get our police involved. … When these celebrations impact our other guests, we do intervene."

Johnson told the Register that the group will decide whether to pursue a lawsuit or a civil rights campaign against the Wine Train. 

We made it! See ya'll on the train! We miss you Elaine Morris☀️

Posted by Lisa Renee Johnson on Saturday, August 22, 2015

Facebook Family, we have a problem!We sipped wine, enjoyed each other's company but our trip is being cut short...this...

Posted by Lisa Renee Johnson on Saturday, August 22, 2015

We are standing in the dirt and the train is leaving...

Posted by Lisa Renee Johnson on Saturday, August 22, 2015

How can you kick her off the train for being too loud????

Posted by Lisa Renee Johnson on Saturday, August 22, 2015

Photo Credit: Lisa Renee Johnson

Yard Goats Gain Loyal Following on Social Media


Next spring, the Hartford Yard Goats hope to develop a solid fan base for minor league baseball, but already, the team is trying to lure people in their 20s and 30s who might think the Yard Goats are edgy and cool because of what they put on Facebook and Twitter.

"Throw a contest out there and get people talking," said Mike Abramson, senior vice president for sales and marketing, "because the way that we grow it is the more people that retweet and share and answer questions, all of their people see it in their feeds."

He expected big interest in a contest to guess the closing figure for the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Much of what he tweets from @GoYardGoats, in fact, has nothing to do with baseball.

It could be there's something other than work going on in the offices of downtown Hartford, because Abramson has found so much response on Twitter and Facebook.

"Twitter's a little bit more sarcastic and fun and iffy and Facebook is more long form. Facebook is to email as Twitter is to text," he explained.

He said customers who walk into the office on Trumbull Street for Yard Goats shirts want to know who does the social media. That would be Abramson, who has already learned people respond most when he posts as though the team were just one person. So he types "I" and "my," not "we" and "our," on social media.

"I don't know that anybody's really figured out how to monetize it yet, but it gives you a chance to talk to your audience and create a voice for your brand in the way you want to create a voice," he said.

CarMax Sells Used Cars With Unresolved Recalls: Report


CarMax's two stores in Connecticut have recently been selling a significant number of vehicles on recall lists, according to a new report conducted by the Connecticut Public Interest Research Group.

The report found that many cars for sale have been affected by recalls but not addressed while on the lot at CarMax.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal described the independent inquiry into CarMax as "chilling" and said the practice is something that needs to stop.

"Bottom line: CarMax is playing a deadly game of 'used car recall roulette' with consumer lives," Blumenthal said during a news conference Monday.

The ConnPIRG report examined cars on the two CarMax lots earlier this summer using data from CarMax itself.

The group found that in East Haven, 42 out of 261 total cars for sale at one point in July were on recall lists but hadn't yet had the problems addressed by manufacturers. At the company's Hartford location, there were 32 vehicles out of 305 that had been subject to recalls.

The recall issues were wide ranging and included seat belt defects, air bags failing to deploy and even possible fires as a result of faulty catalytic converters.

CarMax sales associates provide information regarding National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports and other safety information to customers shopping for a car. CarMax also publishes all such information on its website.

When it comes to safety recalls, it's up to the customer to resolve the issues following purchase.

In a statement, a spokesman said the company leads the industry in transparency.

"Before any customer purchases a used vehicle in our stores, a CarMax associate and the customer review the vehicle’s NHTSA VIN-specific recall report and the customer signs a form acknowledging receipt of the recall report with their sales documents," the spokesperson said.

The statement went on to say the fact that ConnPIRG obtained its information from CarMax directly was a tribute to the company's transparency.

Evan Preston with ConnPIRG disagrees, saying CarMax has an even greater responsibility than merely posting information on websites.

"The small print used to disclose the flaws in these vehicles are hiding very serious problems," Preston said.

Blumenthal said the issue should not be a financial one when it comes to recalls, which is why CarMax should resolve the issues before making a sale.

"The cost to CarMax is virtually nothing, literally, because almost all of these cars is (sic) under warranty, so CarMax can do these repairs for virtually no cost and its failing to do so is absolutely reprehensible," he said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Backlog Delays Case of Mom Charged With Killing Kids


Prosecutors and public defenders are still waiting for police to turn over evidence in the case of an East Haven mom accused of killing her two young children and slitting her own wrists.

Tejas Bhatt, an assistant public defender for the New Haven Judicial District, said state police are "delayed in turning over some information" that will allow the defense to decide whether to hold or waive a probable cause hearing for LeRoya D. Moore.

Moore, 36, has been charged with murdering her 6- and 7-year-old children in their New Haven home in June. Police found her with cuts on her wrists and said the kids' bodies were lying next to an apparent suicide note penned by Moore.

"I couldn’t leave any more of my kids to the system… They were in pain and now they’re in heaven. I prayed and God knows my heart, he made me the way I am and knew we weren’t fit for this work past this time," Moore allegedly wrote.

She has been charged with two counts of murder and three counts of first-degree reckless endangerment. It's not clear how Moore will plead, but attorneys said last month they were weighing an insanity defense.

Bhatt, who is representing Moore, said a state police backlog has prevented the court from proceeding with the case.

"Until we (her attorneys) see all the evidence that the prosecution has in its possession and all that we are entitled to receive, we cannot make a decision on whether to conduct a hearing in probable cause or to waive it," Bhatt explained Monday in an email to NBC Connecticut.

According to the warrant for her arrest, Moore opened the gas line June 2 at her home on Strong Street, flooding the house with natural gas.

A medical examiner said her children suffered "blunt force trauma and puncture wounds" and died of an antihistamine overdose.

Police searching the home found 46 bottles of over-the-counter and prescription medication, including painkillers, sleep aids, muscle relaxers and antidepressants, according to the warrant.

"I’m sure there’s an expert somewhere that will say the children suffered, but I let them know they were loved very much and they were going to heaven. We said the Lord’s Prayer to protect their souls I know this was meant to end the way it did. I don’t know why, but we were meant to die today," Moore wrote in the apparent suicide note.

According to the arrest warrant, Moore has been in trouble with the law before.

At the time she allegedly killed her children, Moore was facing unrelated charges of third-degree assault and second-degree breach of peace. She has been previously convicted of reckless endangerment, risk of injury to a minor, breach of peace, failure to appear, failure to insure a motor vehicle, interfering with police, violation of probation, criminal impersonation and failure to appear, the warrant states.

Police said Moore is a felon who has served prison time. She has been investigated by the Department of Children and Families since 1997, causing her to lose custody of her three oldest children.

"My older kids escaped the same fate because I was too depressed to move and make it happen," Moore allegedly wrote in the suicide note.

Moore is being held on $2 million bond.

Bhatt said he believes state police are busy and that the delay is not usual.

Photo Credit: East Haven Police Department/Family Photo

$2 Million Bond for Accused Murderer of Hartford Mom


The man accused of killing a 23-year-old Hartford mother found dead in Bloomfield last week appeared in court on Monday, where bond was set at $2 million.

Robert Lee Graham, 59, of East Harold Street in Hartford, was arrested Friday night and charged with murdering Tashauna Jackson.

Police said they found Graham hiding in the attic of his Hartford home around 11:30 p.m. Friday and took him into custody.

Jackson, the mother of a 5-year-old, vanished Aug. 11 after getting into Graham's pickup near Keney Park in Hartford, police said. Her body was found 30 feet into the woods off Granby Street in Bloomfield a week after her disappearance.

"She was a very long young lady. She was full of life. She was full of life because she had a long ways to go, and he took that from her," said Perez. "there's a mother that lost a child and there's a child that lost a mother."

Family members told NBC Connecticut police found Graham's DNA under Jackson's fingernails. Jackson told her mother a year before her disappearance that she would scratch anyone who tried to hurt her, according to court documents.

"He's a master manipulator and he thought he was going to get away with this," said Jackson's aunt, Ana Perez.

According to the warrant for his arrest, Graham called police Aug. 13 to report that people were accusing him of harming Jackson and having something to do with her disappearance.

During that call, he granted police permission to search his house. Police said there were no signs of a struggle at Graham's home. A cadaver dog searched Graham's truck Aug. 13 but found no evidence.

Officers met Graham face to face when he agreed to go to the police station.

During the interview, he told police he and Jackson had been in an intimate relationship for several years and that he last saw her Aug. 11 on Barbour Street, when he gave her $160 to pay rent.

Witnesses said they Jackson get into Graham's black pickup truck that day. Graham denied giving Jackson a ride or having any information about what happened to her, according to the warrant.

Police noted that Graham had a scratch on his neck and a chest injury. When officers asked him about it, Graham said he was hurt in a car crash in New Jersey weeks earlier, the warrant says.

On the same day, Hartford police found Graham's smashed-up silver Honda Odyssey parked in a driveway on Edgewood Street. A family member told police Graham had abandoned it there, according to the arrest warrant.

When police asked Graham about the van, he lied and said it was in New Jersey, then asked for a lawyer, according to court documents. Days later, on Aug. 18, Graham contacted police, gave them permission to search the van and said he did not want an attorney after all.

That was the day police found Jackson's body.

Investigators searching Graham's van found pools of blood in the back hatch. DNA testing matched the blood to Jackson's body, and police obtained a warrant for Graham's arrest.

Defense attorney Deron Freeman said there is little evidence that ties Graham to the murder.

"He cooperated with the police. He went down to give a statement. He allowed them to search his vehicle and take his vehicles. He allowed them to search his house," Freeman said.

Police said Graham has an extensive criminal record, including convictions for murder, four counts of first-degree assault, two counts of first-degree rape. two counts of second-degree assault, risk of injury, threatening and assault on an officer. 

Graham's attorney, however, disputes that record.

"They should have never let him out again, never, never," said Jackson's brother, William Santiago.

Graham appeared in court on Monday, where bail was set at $2 million. He is due back in court Sept. 14.

Jackson will be laid to rest at 10 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 27 at Mount Moriah Baptist Church in Hartford. A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for her funeral expenses.

Ashley Madison Members Seek Class-Action Status Lawsuits


At least five lawsuits seeking class-action status have been filed over the hack of the cheating website Ashley Madison, according to North American court records, NBC News reported.

Four federal suits had been filed in the United States as of Monday — two in California, one in Texas and one in Missouri — seeking more than a half-billion dollars.

None of the suits has yet been certified as a class action covering the reported 37 million members of Ashley Madison, whom they characterize as having suffered humiliation and harassment over the reported publication of delicate personal information — including credit card data and, in some cases, photos and sexual fantasies — by hackers calling themselves Impact Team.

The data purportedly published by Impact Team has yet to be independently confirmed as authentic.

Photo Credit: Telemundo Local

Moving Company Worker Attacks Quinnipiac Student-Athlete: Cops


A 19-year-old man is accused of assaulting a female student-athlete while working for a moving company at Quinnipiac University in Hamden.

Police said Sunday Okoro, 19, of New Britain, confronted a 21-year-old athlete while she was walking to the athletic center on Quinnipiac's Mount Carmel Campus the morning of Aug. 22.

According to police, Okoro grabbed the student's wrist and tried to pick her up. She dropped to the ground so he couldn't lift her, but Okoro continued grabbing at the student.

The victim managed to break away and ran to the school athletic center, where she contacted public safety, police said.

"She was lucky that she was able to get away and that she's OK now," said Quinnipiac graduate Lindsay Warner.

Okoro tried to get away and was taken into custody while climbing up a basketball hoop. Police said he was on campus working for a moving company based in New Britain.

"The university would like to recognize the swift response of the university's Public Safety Department, which resulted in the suspect being subdued shortly after the incident occurred and held until the Hamden Police Department arrived to arrest him," Lynn Bushnell, vice president for public affairs at Quinnipiac, said in a statement Monday. "No serious injuries were reported."

Quinnipiac University spokesman John Morgan called the attack an "isolated incident."

"I would never imagine that this would happen, especially at Quinnipiac," said senior Jaclyn DellaGreca.

Okoro was arrested and charged with second-degree unlawful restraint, third-degree assault and breach of peace. He was held on $2,500 bond and is due in court in Meriden on Sept. 3.

It’s not clear if he has an attorney.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police Department
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live