Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Grass Fire in New Fairfield


Another fire flared up in New Fairfield on Sunday.

A large grass fire broke out and the State Fire Plan Task Force responded.

Just a day before there was a large brush fire in a state forest off of Beaver Bog Road in New Fairfield.

Lockdown Lifted at Hartford Correctional Center After Escape Attempt


The lockdown has been lifted from the Hartford Correctional Center after an attempted escape and an offender has been arrested.

Raul Santana, 25, of Hartford, is facing attempted escape charges.

An offender got onto the roof of the facility from the recreation yard outside and staff was alerted at 2:40 p.m. on Saturday.

The facility was locked down as staff investigated the escape attempt.

Officials followed emergency protocols and contacted state police. Correctional staff thwarted the offender's attempt to escape and found the person hiding in the back of a truck parked on facility grounds.

The offender didn't make it beyond the fencing around the perimeter of the facility.

No one was injured.

Santana was charged with first-degree attempted escape.

He has been in custody at the correctional center since Sept. 1 on first-degree criminal trespass charges.

The Department of Correction's Security Division is investigating.

The lockdown was lifted and social visitation is being allowed again.

Hartford Homeowner Shoots Armed Robbers


A homeowner shot two armed robbers during a home invasion in Hartford late Saturday night, critically injuring both of them.

Two robbers broke into a home at 109 Treadeau Street while a woman and child were home. Both robbers were wielding at least one gun. The robbers pointed a gun at the male homeowner as he was returning home after closing up shop at the mini mart on Franklin and South streets.

The homeowner, who has a legal permit to carry a pistol, was already armed at the time of the home invasion and shot the robbers multiple times. He shot one of them in the arm and chest and the other in the head, groin and leg.

The incident was originally called in to police as a shooting just before 11:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Both robbers were taken to Hartford Hospital to be treated for critical injuries. The suspects are from Lawrence, Massachusetts, police said. They're expected to recover.

Police aren't releasing the identities of the suspected robbers at this time as they await approval for an arrest warrant.

The homeowner sustained minor injuries. The woman and childe were unharmed.

The suspects had zip-ties and a firearm in their possession. Police believe they targeted the property because the thought the owner wasn't at home.

The home has a video surveillance system.

Hartford major crimes and crime scene detectives are investigating the incident.

No arrests have been made at this time.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Thousands Come Out for Hartford Barbecue Championships


BBQ takes over Hartford this weekend.

On Saturday, more than 1,000 people turned out for the first Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships at Riverside Park.

People could sample brisket, ribs, and other meats from 18 groups.
The teams came from all around the region.

“It’s about expanding the BBQ culture you know and seeing what these guys put into their competitions,” says Jamie McDonald, Bear’s Smokehouse co-owner.

On Sunday, the teams compete for the best meats.

The winners share awards including $20,000.

The event is also a fundraiser for Riverfront Recapture.

Crowd Tries to Save Beached Shark


It was a stunning discovery on Cape Cod when a great white shark washed ashore on White Crest Beach in Wellfleet, Massachusetts, Sunday morning. People sprung from their beach blankets to snap pictures of the animal.

Eyewitnesses estimate the shark was between 10-15 feet long, and say it was clearly in distress.

"It was gasping for air on the shore at that point. It was big, it was a big shark," said Bill Bellrose of Boston.

"As it became more evident the tide was dropping and the animal was still alive and needed our help, everyone started pitching in," lifeguard John Wallace said.

Hundreds of people got to work, pouring water on the animal and digging a trench to try and free it from the sand and get it back out to sea.

"Just telling the big guys (to) get up front to do the pulling, girls getting buckets ... they had shovels, digging trenches, pouring water," said Rob Law of Saratoga Springs, New York.

The scene had people who might normally be terrified of this animal fighting to keep it alive.

"Some women had tears in her eyes, like, 'Oh my gosh, we have to get the shark back out into the water.' No one was thinking about the shark biting them or anything else. It was his survival, really something to see," said Barbara Law of Albany, New York.

Despite getting it back out into the water, it appeared the shark had died.

"It was a good thing they tried to revive it, but at the end of the day nature has its way of dealing with things and it had its way today," Bellrose said.

This wasn't the first time this summer people tried to save a beached shark on Cape Cod. in July, people successfully saved a shark in Chatham after it washed ashore.

Photo Credit: Wellfleet Police Department

Firefighter Rescue Swimmer From Water Near Waterford Beach


Firefighters responded to investigate a reported swimmer in distress near Waterford Beach, according to fire officials.

The Goshen Fire Department responded, bringing a fire rescue boat and ambulance. They helped rescue the swimmer from the water and brought him onto the beach.

EMS personnel evaluated him.

Waterford Fire Engine Company No. 1, Oswegatchie Fire Company #4 Inc. and the Waterford Police Department also responded.

Photo Credit: Goshen Fire Department

Two Rescued Off Cornfield Point in Old Saybrook


Two people were rescued after being reported missing from a boat off the coast of Old Saybrook Sunday night.

Multiple departments responded around 8 p.m. for a report of two people who went missing off a boat in the area of Cornfield Point, according to the Old Saybrook Fire Department facebook page. U.S. Coast Guard and Connecticut State Police helicopters were requested to assist with the search. Around 10 p.m. the Goshen Fire Boat pulled both people from the water. They are safe and being returned to shore.

Old Saybrook fire and EMS, Westbrook fire, Old Lyme fire, Clinton fire, East Lyme Fire and Waterford fire all responded.


Ellington Girl, 14, Dies in Tubing Accident


Police pulled the body of an Ellington teenage girl from a New York creek on Saturday after she and a man were reported to be in distress in the water while tubing.

The Ulster County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a 14-year-old girl after recovering her body from Espous Creek in Shandaken, New York on Saturday.

Ellington Superintendent Scott Nicol informed parents and the Ellington community about the loss of Ellington High School freshman Jordyn Engler, 14, and notified them that "with the tragic loss" of Engler, "students, staff, family and friends gathered at Ellington High School on Sunday" from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. "to support one another."

Deputies and rescue personnel responded to the creek near the Allaben Cemetery at about 11:15 a.m. on Saturday to investigate a report that an adult male and teenage girl were in trouble in the water, the sheriff's office said.

Emergency crews pulled the man from the water and tried to rescue the girl. DEP shut down the portal that allows Schoharie Reservoir water to flow into the creek. Once the water level of the creek had lowered and the current weakened after several hours had passed, rescue crews recovered the body of the 14-year-old girl.

Police have not officially released the identities of the man rescued or the 14-year-old girl who died, but Nicol tweeted, "Prayers for the Engler family" and "#RIP JordynEngler."

"At this time, Jeff Engler, Jordyn's father, has recovered from his injuries and will be traveling back to Connecticut in the near future," Nicol wrote in a letter to the Ellington community. "Together, as a caring, tightknit community, we will support one another during this difficult time."

Jeff Engler posted about the tragedy of losing his daughter on a tubing trip in upstate New York on Facebook, asking for people's prayers and support and to hug their children for him.

A memorial fund has been set up on www.giveforward.com for the family.

"The Jordyn Engler Memorial was established to assist the family with expenses as well as make charitable donations in Jordyn's name to celebrate her life," the memorial fund page said.

The Fierce All Stars cheerleading team in Manchester also posted about the tragedy of losing Engler, one of their team members, on their Facebook page.

"Our hearts are heavy during this time. Jordyn had a beautiful soul and we are all honored to have had the opportunity to have her in our lives. Yesterday, we heard about her tragic passing. We ask that everyone please keep Jordyn and her family in your thoughts and prayers.
As a program, let's all be there for each other. We love and miss you Jordyn, forever in our hearts!" the Fierce All stars posted on Facebook.

Her coach, Kelly Davis said Jordyn "was an exceptionally hard working athlete."

"She was loved by her teammates and coaches," Davis said. "Her smile brightened the stage when she competed and you could tell, she was a performer!"

Shandaken police and ambulance, New York State Police, New York City DEP police, the Ulster Hose fire department, the West Hurley Fire Department, the Shandaken Fire Department, Phoenicia Fire Department, Olive First Aid and the Ulster County fire coordinator assisted with the investigation into the water accident in New York. The Ulster County Sheriff's Office In-Water Rescue Team , Ulster Hose Dive Team, New York State Police Dive Team and the Phoenicia-West Hurley-Olive Fire Swift Water Rescue Team also responded.

More counseling will be available to Ellington school students on Tuesday when students return from Labor Day weekend. School principals in the district were instructed to be in contact with staff, parents and students about the details. Support resources are also posted on Ellington Public Schools' website.

Photo Credit: Family Photo

Body Pulled From Pond May Be Missing Kayaker: DEEP


Crews pulled a female's body from West Hill Pond near a New Hartford park Sunday evening.

Department of Energy and Environmental Protection officials said that the body found may be that of Patricia Cole, 53. Cole went missing while kayaking on New Year's Day on West Hill Pond and still hasn't been found.

New Hartford First Selectman Daniel Jerram said that the body was found in the northern central part of the body of water. He said officials "are hopeful that they will confirm that the body found is that of Ms. Patricia Cole."

"I have prayed often that Ms. Cole would be found and returned to her family so that they can finally find peace," Jerram posted on his Facebook page. "My thanks go out to all our First Responders who assisted in the recovery including State Trooper John Dickey, DEEP Officer Keith Williams, Resident Trooper Bob Hazen, members of New Hartford Village Fire and New Hartford Ambulance. We appreciate your sensativity and professionalism in this difficult situation. We are fortunate to have you all standing ready to help us all."

On a more somber note, our First Responders were called back to West Hill Lake this evening to recover a body found in the northern central portion of the lake. New Hartford police officers David Helt and Patric Berardinelli completed the recovery of a body from the water and transferred it to state officials who will conduct an autopsy as soon as possible. While no official word from the State will be available tonight, we are hopeful that they will confirm that the body found is that of Ms. Patricia Cole who has been missing since New Years Day. I have prayed often that Ms. Cole would be found and returned to her family so that they can finally find peace. My thanks go out to all our First Responders who assisted in the recovery including State Trooper John Dickey, DEEP Officer Keith Williams, Resident Trooper Bob Hazen, members of New Hartford Village Fire and New Hartford Ambulance. We appreciate your sensativity and professionalism in this difficult situation. We are fortunate to have you all standing ready to help us all. Thank You!

State police responded at about 5:20 p.m. to Brodie Park on West Hill Road to investigate an untimely death in the pond. New Hartford firefighters and ambulance personnel responded at about 5:41 p.m. on Sunday.

Officials from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner responded to the scene and will examine the body to determine the cause of death and identify it.

It started off as a water rescue, but then crews pulled a female's body out of the water at West Hill Pond. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Western District Major Crime detectives also responded.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Car Catches Fire After Crash During Police Pursuit


An attempted motor vehicle stop ended in a fiery crash into two utility poles in Windsor early Monday morning.

A police officer tried to pull someone over on Poquonock Avenue, but the driver took off and rammed into two poles, knocking them over. The car then caught on fire.

Crews responded to fix the pole damage.

At around 4:30 a.m. there were about 638 power outages in Windsor, though the power company has not confirmed whether they were related. Power was restored by 5:30 a.m.

No one was hurt.

The road was closed, but it has since reopened.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Crews Respond to Kitchen Fire in Waterbury


Crews responded to a structure fire in Waterbury Monday morning.

The fire started in a kitchen 121 Elliot Avenue close to 8 a.m. It was contained to that one room.

There were no injuries reported.Everyone made it out safely.

Crews have cleared the scene.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fallen Ill. Officer's Funeral


Thousands are expected to pay their respects on Labor Day to fallen Fox Lake, Illinois, Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz at a public visitation, funeral and funeral procession. 

A public viewing will be held at Monday Antioch High School at 1133 Main Street from 9 to 11 a.m. in Antioch, Illinois. The funeral service will start at 1 p.m. at the same location.

Following the service a procession to Hillside East Cemetery (450 East Depot Street, Antioch) will occur, where Lt. Gliniewicz will be laid to rest.

With limited space inside the school, people are encouraged to line the funeral procession rows and bring signs to pay tribute.

Procession will begin at Route 83 and Chestnut Street in Antioch and will continue as follows:

• Route 83 south to Route 173
• West on Route 173 to Route 59
• South on Route 59 to Grass Lake Road
• West on Grass Lake Road to State Park Road
• South on State Park Road to Route 12
• South on Route 12 to Grand Avenue
• East on Grand Avenue to Rollins Road
• South on Rollins Road to Devlin
• North on Devlin to Route 59
• North/east on Route 59 to Route 173
• East on Route 173 to Deep Lake Road
• North on Deep Lake Road to Depot Street
• West on Depot Street to Hillside East Cemetery 

The funeral procession will wind through Antioch and Fox Lake, past the police department where Gliniewicz served, past the schools where he worked with young people, and through the downtown he patrolled.

With a purple bunting over its welcome sign, Fox Lake is a village in mourning.

“The sadness pervades the entire community,” said Joe Ahern, CEO of 100 Club of Chicago. “But you can also see the resolve in the police department and all the state and local law enforcement that are here to help catch these guys.”

Hundreds gathered Wednesday evening to honor the slain officer at an emotional candlelight vigil. Gliniewicz was on the brink of retiring after a 30-year career in law enforcement when he was gunned down in the line of duty Tuesday.

He was the first on-duty officer who was shot and killed in Lake County in 35 years. Many expressed that they were not only grieving for the loss of an officer, but also for the loss of a family man, a friend and valued member of the community.

While the manhunt for his killers intensifies, businesses and residents in the Chain O' Lakes region continue to show their support to the police force and wife and four sons he left behind.

“The outpouring of support from the Fox Lake Community and the area surrounding us has been unbelievably tremendous,” said Lake County sheriff's Detective Chris Covelli.

For businesses who worked closely with the department, the loss is especially painful.

"We lost a very, very great officer,” said Mario Martinez, who has owned local the local lakefront landmark Dockers restaurant for more than 18 years. “It's a shame what happens to a community, what else can I say.”

NBC 5 will be offering live coverage of the services for beloved Lt. Gliniewicz, known by many as "G.I. Joe," for those who wish to pay their respects but are not able to attend in Antioch.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Two-Car Crash Closes Main Street in Broad Brook


Main Street is closed in the Broad Brook section of East Windsor after two cars collided in front of At The Dam Restaurant.

The road is closed between Church and Depot streets pending removal of the vehicles.

There were minor injuries.

Photo Credit: East Windsor Police Department

Ritual Monument Found Near Stonehenge: Scientists


Archeologists in Britain have discovered the remains of a ritual monument near the Stonehenge site.

The hidden monument is about a mile from Stonehenge and contains at least 90 stone monoliths measuring close to 15 feet. The monoliths "lined" an arena forming what researchers are calling a “superhenge.”

The stones were placed around 4,500 years ago along the south-eastern edge of what later became the Durrington Walls — a large Neolithic settlement, researchers say.

“Those things are theatrical,” said Professor Gaffney, of Britain’s University of Bradford. “They are designed ti impress and impose; to give the idea of authority to the living and the dead. It really does create a massive impression.”

Photo Credit: AP/ Max Nash
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Heat Forecast Prompts Early Dismissals at Some Schools


New Britain Schools are releasing early on Tuesday and Wednesday due to anticipated high heat.

Morning pre-kindergarten will have a regular schedule, but kindergarten classes in the afternoon are canceled.

New Britain High School, the Satellite Careers Academy and HALS will dismiss at noon on those days. DiLoreto School and the middle schools will get out at 12:45 p.m. All elementary schools will dismiss at 1:20 p.m.

It will be up to coordinators and coaches to decide if there will be after-school activities and sports practices.

Fiery Crash Into Utility Poles Closes Bristol Road


Route 72 is closed both ways in Bristol after a car crashed into utility poles and caught fire early Monday morning.

Three poles were snapped in the collision near 312 Pine Street.

Everyone in the car made it out.

The call came in at about 6:25 a.m.

The road is expected to be closed for awhile.

No further information was immediately available.

Man Killed in Hartford's 25th Homicide


A 34-year-old man was killed late Sunday night in Hartford, marking the capital city's 25th homicide of the year.

Police are investigating the death as a homicide. It happened in front of 32 Greenfield Street. A 911 call reporting shots fired came in at about 10:08 p.m. Sunday. The Hartford Police Department's ShotSpotter system also detected three gunshots fired in that area.

The victim was transported to St. Francis Hospital in a private vehicle before officers arrived at the scene to be treated for multiple gunshot wounds to the face and upper torso.

He died at the hospital of his injuries at 10:17 p.m.

Major crimes and crime scene detectives responded and are investigating.

The investigation is in the preliminary stages and is ongoing.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Trapped Polar Bear Saved From Fishing Net in Alaska


Residents of a remote Arctic island teamed up with U.S. scientists to rescue a 1,000-pound polar bear trapped in a fishing net, the US. Geological Survey said.

The adult male bear was caught in a net on a barrier island off the coast of Alaska where locals, USGS and biologists from the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service undertook the daring rescue.

The mission began by “darting” the bear from a helicopter, said the USGS, and locals on the ground used their boats to keep the bear from drowning.

“Once the bear was sedated, the biologists worked to quickly untangle the bear from the net and, after determining it appeared uninjured from its ordeal, released it back into the wild," the USGS said on Facebook.

Photo Credit: Photo Courtesy: U.S. Geological Survey

Family Claims Boy Poisoned


A 10-year-old Palm Beach County, Florida, boy remains hospitalized in Miami Monday after his family says he was poisoned when their home was fumigated for termites.

According to NBC affiliate WPTV, Peyton McCaughey's parents first noticed the boy's symptoms on Aug. 17. The family contracted Terminix to treat the house for termites, and says they were given the green light to return to the home.

The family tells WPTV that they all became ill, but that Peyton's symptoms were significantly more severe. They say the boy initially experienced nausea, but that his condition quickly declined and he began to lose motor skills and could not stand on his own.

Peyton was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach where he was in the ICU for nine days.

He was then transferred to Nicklaus Children's Hospital where he spent his 10th birthday, and on Thursday was transferred to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital.

The family's attorney tells WPTV that Terminix contracted with a West Palm Beach company called SunLand to do the actual tenting job, and that they believe chemicals were left inside the home.

According to WPTV, a Terminix spokesman released a statement saying, "We were saddened to learn of this and our hearts are with the family. We are carefully reviewing the matter."

An attorney for the contractor SunLand did not return WPTV's calls for comment.

Meanwhile, three Miami Dolphins players who heard what happened to Peyton, spent part of Sunday at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital visiting him.

Running back Lamar Miller, defensive end Olivier Vernon and wide receiver Jarvis Landry visited Peyton Sunday. According to a Dolphins’ spokesman, they brought gifts including a signed football, jersey, teddy bear, and other items.

The State Department of Agriculture announced Friday they are issuing a "stop work order" prohibiting SunLand Pest Control from doing any fumigation while they investigate.

In a statement, a Department of Agriculture spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the tragic and heartbreaking incident involving Peyton, and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is investigating SunLand Pest Control in collaboration with the EPA and the Department of Health," 

The family has started a Facebook support group entitled "Support Peyton McCaughey." The family is also accepting donations for the boy's medical care via a GoFundMe page.

Since it was launched five days ago, the page has raised more than $53,000 toward Peyton's care.

Photo Credit: WPTV
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Student Robbed at Gunpoint While Buying Drugs: PD


A Southern Connecticut State University student was robbed at gunpoint while trying to buy drugs and police are still searching for the robbers, authorities said.

The SCSU campus police contacted Hamden police at 12:30 a.m. Saturday. Police learned that an 18-year-old student was trying to buy drugs in front of 190 Pine Rock Avenue when two armed men approached the victim.

The men, who carried handguns, stole a large amount of cash from the student in front of the apartments at the address and then ran down the street, police said.

The student wasn't injured in the robbery.

Authorities have not released information on the gender or identity of the victim.

Police said one of the robbers stands 6 feet tall and weighs 200 pounds. The second robber is 5-foot-9 and has a small stature. Both men were wearing dark-colored clothing.

No suspects have been identified.

Hamden police continue to investigate the incident and look for the robbers. The department asks anyone with information to call its major crimes division at 203-230-4040.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live