Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Water Line Repairs Could Cause Delays in Bristol


A water line broke after a contractor installing new poles on Farmington Avenue in Bristol damaged it, according to the Bristol Water Department.

Crews are at the site and will be excavating the road to repair the water main leak.

The break only affects water at one property, but traffic could be delayed as crews work on repairs, the water department said.

Drivers should be able to get by in both directions, but lanes might reduced from two to one.

The water department advises motorists to seek alternate route to avoid delays and thanks its customers for their patience.

Photo Credit: Peggy Cassidy

Police Arrest Suspect in Harwinton Armed Robbery


State police arrested a man suspected in an armed robbery at Dairy Mart in Harwinton.

Andrew Doty is facing robbery and larceny charges.

State police from Troop L in Litchfield responded to investigate a reported armed robbery at Dairy Mart at 157 Litchfield Road in Harwinton on Sept. 7 at 9:17 a.m., state police said.

State police couldn't find a suspect at the scene during a search. Further investigation revealed that a man brandishing a knife stole an unknown amount of cash and cigarettes from the store and fled the scene, state police said. He was then seen getting into the passenger seat of a white sedan waiting for him in the parking lot that had three other men in it, state police said.

No one was injured.

State police identified Doty as the suspect in the armed robbery and obtained an arrest warrant on Sept. 10. They located him and took him into custody with the help of Southington police.

State police held him in custody on a $200,000 bond and charged him with first-degree robbery and fourth-degree larceny.

He was scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 11.

Video Shows Blake's Take Down


Surveillance video released Friday shows an undercover NYPD officer tackle former tennis star James Blake to the ground outside a midtown hotel this week and put him in handcuffs, a mistaken arrest that prompted apologies from the city's top cop and its mayor.

The video shows Blake, 38, leaning against a pillar outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel Wednesday, waiting for a car to take him to Flushing Meadows, when an undercover officer in a white T-shirt and pants rushes up to him, grabs his arms and drags him a bit along the street before tackling him to the ground and handcuffing him.

Blake barely moves during the confrontation as the officer flips him onto his stomach, knee pressed into his back, to put on the cuffs.

Eventually the officer rolls Blake over and helps him sit up, then hoists him up by his arm and walks him down the street, out of view of the camera.

The officer who tackled him, identified by the Associated Press as James Frascatore, has been placed on modified duty, stripped of his gun and badge, pending the outcome of an investigation by internal affairs. The NYPD said internal affairs detectives interviewed Blake Thursday and provided a copy of the video to the former tennis star's attorney as they continue to investigate the false arrest.

Authorities have described the arrest as a case of mistaken identity. They say a courier they were working with to take down suspects in a fraudulent online credit card ring misidentified Blake as one of the supsects with whom he had worked. Once the courier made the identification, Frascatore, one of the half a dozen undercover detectives working the case, rushed Blake, authorities have said.

In a statement Friday, Blake said the plainclothes cop "paraded me down a crowded sidewalk and detained me for 10 minutes before he and his four colleagues realized they had the wrong man."

"The officer, who was apparently investigating a case of credit card fraud, did not identify himself as a member of law enforcement, ask my name, read me my rights, or in any way afford me the dignity and respect due every person who walks the streets of this country," Blake said. "And while I continue to believe the vast majority of our police officers are dedicated public servants who conduct themselves appropriately, I know that what happened to me is not uncommon."

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio both apologized to Blake Thursday -- but Blake says he wants more.

"Extending courtesy to a public figure mistreated by the police is not enough," Blake said. "As I told the commissioner, I am determined to use my voice to turn this unfortunate incident into a catalyst for change in the relationship between the police and the public they serve."

Blake said he is calling on the city to make a "significant financial commitment" to improve the relationship between police and the public they service, particularly in neighborhoods "where incidents of the type I experienced occur all too frequently." 

De Blasio and Bratton said in a joint statement Friday that they're both prepared to meet with Blake to discuss those issues and initiatives. They said the city has already invested nearly $29 million to retrain about 22,000 uniformed officers, and thousands more will be retrained in the coming months. They also highlighted their new neighborhood policing strategy

The statement read: "This Administration will continue to vigorously implement these reforms that build trust and respect between police officers and the people they serve, while also keeping New York City the safest big city in America."

Bratton also said Thursday the internal affairs investigation will focus on whether the use of force in taking down Blake was appropriate; he has said it appears as if it were excessive. Bratton also said investigators would look into whether appropriate protocol was followed in documenting the false arrest after Blake was released, which was immediately after detectives realized he was not the suspect they were looking for.

According to the Associated Press, Frascatore has a history of excessive-force allegations.

Records show Frascatore, who has four years on the force, was the subject of five civilian complaints in a seven-month period of 2013, according to radio's WNYC, and he has been named in two federal civil rights lawsuits as being among a group of officers accused of beating, pepper spraying and falsely arresting two Queens men in separate incidents that year.

Bratton said investigators reviewing Frascatore's disciplinary record would do so "understanding that some of those issues were exonerated." He didn't elaborate.

A number listed for Frascatore, 38, wasn't in service Friday and a spokesman for his union declined to comment on the claims.

Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said in a statement Friday, "The police officer was apprehending what he had every reason to believe was an individual who had just committed a crime. The apprehension was made under fluid circumstances where the subject might have fled and the officer did a professional job of bringing the individual to the ground to prevent that occurrence."

He continued: "It is truly unfortunate that the arrest was a result of mistaken identity by the complainant in the case and we regret any embarrassment or injury suffered by Mr. Blake as a result."

Bratton said earlier this week what Blake experienced should not have happened. And Blake says he wants an explanation.

"I'd like an explanation for how they conducted themselves because I think we all need to be held accountable for our actions, and police as well," Blake said on ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday.

Blake, who had been ranked as high as No. 4 in the world and reached three Grand Slam quarterfinals, retired after the 2013 U.S. Open.

He won 10 singles titles, most recently in 2007. Twice he reached the quarterfinals at the U.S. Open, a hometown tournament that seemed to bring out his best play.

Russian Military Activity in Syria Military Build-Up: Officials


Russian military activity in Syria is now being called a military build-up by U.S. defense officials and is being compared to Russian activity in Crimea last year.

Russia has brought in dozens of armored vehicles and groud support vehicles, in addition to artillery, two defense officials told NBC News. However, officials maintain that the U.S. does not know exactly what Russia is planning in Syria.

The U.S. estimates that Russia may have fewer than 100 military operating in Syria right now. But one defense official said the Russians could have military there in plain clothes unbeknownst to the U.S.

Photo Credit: AP

Boy, 3, Killed During Police Chase


A 3-year-old boy standing on the sidewalk with his mother was struck and killed during a police chase in New Jersey's largest city Friday as cops tried to apprehend a man wanted on aggravated assault and weapons charges, authorities said.

Prosecutors say officers from Newark's fugitive apprehension team spotted the 22-year-old suspect, who was wanted in connection with a May case, driving a 2002 Hyundai Sonata near 15th Avenue and Seventh Street around 7:40 a.m. and tried to pull him over.

The suspect didn't stop his vehicle, prosecutors said. With officers pursuing him, the suspect struck a car that was driving on 15th Avenue, then mounted a curb and struck the 3-year-old boy, who was standing on the sidewalk with his mother. The boy, Rahmere Tullis, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The boy's father, Cordell Tullis, broke into tears as he tried to describe what his only son meant to him.

"I just want people to know that he was a good kid and he loved everybody. He shared his stuff. He just was a sweetheart. Everybody loved him, everybody," Cordell Tullis said. "I don't know what's going on in this moment; all I know is I'm missing my son and my son is gone. That's all I had."

Cordell Tullis said his son's favorite thing was to be with his "daddy," to ride in his car and spend the whole day with him.

"That's all he wanted to do was be with me," the father said. "I'm not even going to be able to teach my son how to ride his first bike without training wheels."

The suspect, identified as Troy Ruff, of Newark, was arrested immediately after striking Tullis, authorities said. Ruff has been charged with aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and eluding police, as well as charges stemming from the May investigation, authorities said.

The circumstances of the May case weren't immediately clear. Bail was set at $500,000. It wasn't clear if Ruff had an attorney.

Cordell Tullis questioned why officers would be engaging in such a chase at a time when children are on their way to school.

Newark Councilman Eddie Osborne said the child's death was "horrendous" and that "the city is trying real hard to get everyone on the same page."

Photo Credit: NBC 4 New York

Resident Helps Police Nab Shooting Suspect


Police said a Bridgeport resident helped them nab a man linked to shootings in the city's East Side neighborhood.

Carlos Torres, 21, of Pembroke Street in Bridgeport, was arrested Wednesday. Authorities said he led them on a chase and "yelled at police officers and spat towards them" when they finally caught him.

Torres has been linked to recent shootings in the area of Pembroke Street and Arctic Street. Public safety officials described him as a "possible suspect."

Officers spotted Torres riding a bike on East Washington Avenue around 12:45 p.m. Wednesday. Authorities said he was carrying a backpack with a semi-automatic handgun inside.

Police followed him in their unmarked car, and Torres seemed to realize he was being pursued, because he went around a stop sign, then threw down the bike and took off running, according to public safety officials.

Officers chased him and ordered him to stop, warning Torres that they would use a stun gun if he didn't listen. Torres kept running, and one officer fired his Taser but missed, officials said.

At one point, Torres tossed the backpack down and police found the gun inside.

Police said a resident in a pickup truck flagged them down and said, "Hey, Officer, jump in; I want to help." The officer grabbed onto the truck's rear bumper and the truck followed Torres onto Williams Street, authorities said.

Torres ran onto the property of 376 East Washington Avenue. Police chased him on foot to Harriet Street, where cruisers surrounded him. Officers then took Torres into custody.

Public safety officials said Torres "yelled at police officers and spat towards them" during his arrest.

He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, interfering with an officer, resisting arrest, carrying a pistol without a permit, illegal sale or distribution of a firearm and tampering with evidence.

It's not clear if Torres has an attorney.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

FBI Kills Man in Child Porn Raid


A child pornography raid turned deadly at a Pennsylvania home Friday morning.

Police said the FBI went to the home specifically to execute a search warrant related to a child porn ring in Delaware County, FBI sources told NBC10's Monique Braxton.

"As they executed the search warrant, shots were fired," said Chester Police Commissioner Joseph Bail.

One of the four people in the home was shot and killed during the exchange of gunfire, authorities said.

The FBI were responding to a home on Highland Avenue near 6th Street in Chester to execute the search warrant around 6 a.m., said Bail.

As NBC Philadelphia's Chopper, SkyForce10, hovered overhead local and federal investigators could be seen responding to the home and a neighboring home before police eventually took a man from the home and into a waiting police car. Investigators questioned that man, a woman and a third person taken from the home.

The relationship between the people in the home wasn't immediately clear.

Neighbors were surprised by the sound of gunshots coming from the home where they said the residents mostly kept to themselves.

The home—which had a sophisticated security system— was one of three that were raided Friday as part of the federal inquiry, said authorities. 

The FBI and Delaware County special prosecutors will investigate the incident, said Bail.

Photo Credit: NBC10

Angry Mother Threatened to 'Blow Up' DCF Building: Cops


State police arrested a mother accused of threatening to "blow up" the state Department of Children and Families building in New Haven.

Nadine Diaz, 27, of New Haven, is facing charges of first-degree threatening and breach of peace.

State police responded to the DCF facility at 1 Longwharf Drive in New Haven on Saturday around 11:30 a.m. after receiving a report that the employees there had been threatened.

Troopers learned an angry parent threatened "to blow the building up" over unhappiness with a decision made and that she had left the building, state police said.

Investigators found Diaz at home with her young children in New Haven. State police took her into custody and arrested her.

DCF took the children into custody to keep them safe, according to state police.

Diaz has been released on a $7,500 bond and is due in New Haven Superior Court on Sept. 25. It's not clear if she has an attorney or whether her children will remain in DCF custody.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

West Hartford Restaurant Closed Amid Labor Violations: State


A popular Vietnamese restaurant in West Hartford has been closed since Tuesday after failing to put employees on the payroll, according to the state Department of Labor.

Pho Boston at 144 Shield Street has been cited for labor violations and was issued a stop order, state officials said. The restaurant will pay a $9,600 fine and is scheduled to reopen Friday night.

Gary Pechie, director of the Department of Labor's Wage and Workplace Standards Division, said the state is still investigating. It's not clear if Pho Boston owes wages.

Photo Credit: Google Maps

Obama to Honor UConn Women's Basketball Team


The UConn women's basketball team is going to the White House.

President Barack Obama is honoring the lady Huskies on Tuesday, Sept. 15 for their 2015 NCAA championship win.

The visit is a tradition Obama started honoring sports teams "for their efforts to give back to their communities," according to a press release from the White House.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Police Return to Landfill in Search for Missing Couple


State police have returned again to a landfill in Putnam amid the search for a missing Easton couple who disappeared in early August.

Investigators have been searching the Putnam Ash Residue Landfill, a 186-acre site used to dump ash from all the state's waste-to-energy plants, in connection with the case of Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin.

The couple vanished from their Easton home on Aug. 4, shortly after moving from Westport, according to state police. Jeffrey Navin serves as president of the J&J Refuse waste management company in Westport, while Jeanette works as a school library aide in Weston.

Sources familiar with the investigation have told NBC Connecticut the couple's son, Kyle Navin, 27, has been named a person of interest in his parents' disappearance.

He was arrested on a federal gun charge earlier in the week, and a family member believes Kyle Navin was the last person to see his parents, according to the affidavit. 

Kyle Navin works as operations manager of J&J Refuse and told police the family was in the process of selling the company, according to police reports obtained by NBC Connecticut.

Investigators searched the landfill a couple weeks ago. State police have not found any human remains and said in a prior news release the "Putnam Ash Residue Landfill was searched in an effort to rule it out as a possible location."

Search warrants reveal that no phone calls have been made from the couple's cellphones since the day they disappeared. Those phones have since been turned off.

Five days after the couple vanished, a state trooper found the couple's pickup with a broken window in a Westport commuter lot. Investigators have taken more than a dozen swab samples from the vehicle, according to the warrants.

Police have also searched the couple's current and former homes and one of their bank accounts.

A judge denied Jeffrey Navin's motion to reopen a case appealing more than $2.2 million in debt on a $900,000 Guilford home about a week before he and his wife went missing. Other relatives have said they don't believe the couple's finances played a part in their disappearance.

State police ask anyone with information to call 860-685-8190. All calls will remain confidential.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Easton Police Department

Simsbury High School Football Player Gets a New Heart


A Simsbury High School football player is on the road to recovery after undergoing a successful heart transplant.

Danny Deitz, 16, began having trouble breathing in the spring and spent nearly two weeks in intensive care. An X-ray revealed Danny had an "extremely enlarged" left ventricle, he said.

"The heart... it normally pumps like that," Danny explained, using his hand to show the steady pace at which a heart should beat. "My heart was basically pumping in like that," he said, moving his hand at a much quicker pace.

An electric pump known as an LVAD was implanted to help circulate blood throughout his body.

Danny had been on the transplant list for about two months when a doctor called Thursday and said Boston Children's Hospital had the perfect new heart for him.

"It's THE heart. Not A heart. THE heart," the doctor said, according to Danny's father, Terry.

It came as a surprise to Danny and his family, who expected to wait three to eight months before surgery. Instead, Danny was in the operating room late Thursday evening, undergoing a procedure that lasted seven hours.

Danny, a wide receiver on the Simsbury football team, fell ill in June and has been unable to play this school year.

"It was really hard to talk to all of my friends because they were getting ready for pre-season stuff and it was hard to know I was missing out on all of that," he said.

But the community rallied around him to show Danny he wasn't alone, raising $7,000 for his surgery by selling shirts that read "Danny Strong."

Teammates said they were shocked to hear the news of an early heart transplant.

"He was with us at practice and then all of a sudden he’s got the memo that he’s getting a heart! Today! I just found that very, very crazy!" said teammate Dan Shaffer.

Before Danny left for surgery, he told NBC Connecticut his heart condition has changed his perspective.

"If I never play another day of football the rest of my life, I’d be bummed, but if I didn’t get to see the rest of my friends – my brothers who I play football with – that would be worse than not being able to play," he said.

Danny will spend two weeks recovering in the hospital and will be out of school for about three months, depending on his progress, his family estimates.

Tonight the Simsbury Trojans are hosting East Hartford and held a pre-game tribute featuring his teammates' "Danny Strong" chant.

Business Survey Shows Growth and Concerns


The report released by the Connecticut Business and Industry Association revealed that many Connecticut businesses are thriving but have concerns about what the future may hold.

Forty-three percent of more than 500 businesses surveyed said economic conditions are the biggest issue facing companies in the state. Nearly half the businesses surveyed said they're concerned about the tax increases that came out of the latest legislative session.

Peter Gioia, an economist with the CBIA, said the issue has become prominent in recent years.

Gioia said businesses are asking, "'Every time the legislature goes in are they going to raise my taxes? I’ve got R&D type tax credits. Are these going to go away?'"

On the positive side, 63 percent of businesses in Connecticut reported that they were profitable in the last year. That's a big increase, according to Andrew Lattimer with BlumShapiro, who helped to compile the results for CBIA.

"It's a sign that moods have changed when it comes to spending after the recession but that many companies have adjusted to become more profitable as they reduced expenses," Lattimer said.

One business, F3 Technology Partners, has seen a boom over the past year, with a 30-percent increase in profits. The company manages data storage and cloud operations for clients throughout Connecticut.

The company's CEO, Tom Colleary, said even though he's seen huge growth, he also gets a feeling from clients that a slowdown may be coming.

"Our customers are a little tentative on where they want to make capital expenditures. They’re not sure where state policies are going, so until that’s really determined and they know and they can predict where their revenues are going to come from, and until that happens, we can’t really follow their lead too much," he said.

Colleary said he wants to see the state do more to allow small businesses like his, which has  just 24 employees, like come up with incentives.

"I think that they can look at the tax rate on small businesses to start, and the employee tax credits that will allow me to bring more employees into the business," he said.

The Hustle: From Drug Dealing to Fitness Bootcamp


Coss Marte and Sultan Malik, who were both imprisoned for dealing drugs, are now hustling clients for a unique fitness program.

Marte, 29, launched his New York City fitness studio, Conbody, in 2014 by using the same business skills he honed while dealing drugs. 

"There's not much of a difference," he explains. "Being a hustler is dedication and persistence, just showing up to deliver every day. Being an entrepreneur is doing the same thing, showing up and delivering every day. I'm out there almost everyday handing out my business cards the same way I did when I was hustling back on the street."

The fitness program was developed while Marte was confined to his jail cell and needed to find creative ways to keep his own body fit. 

Photo Credit: Coss Marte
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Expanding Campus Makes for UConn Parking Problems


Student parking is at a premium on the ever-expanding University of Connecticut campus in Storrs.

"Now it’s just this one row right here, and also last year it was significantly cheaper to park in S-Lot," said junior Myles Mocarski, one of many students surprised by smaller lots and pricier parking passes. "I wasn’t sure if I was going to buy the permit actually, because I think it was at least $100 more."

Some students are parking father away from the center of campus. Others are taking their chances and parking in illegal spots.

"People get tickets all the time. It’s a thing," said junior Mark Tomah, who has already gotten two tickets despite having a parking permit.

The permit cost him $230. The ticket are $30 apiece.

"There are a lot of (parking) lots that are not included in that commuter pass," he explained.

Tomah said the lots where his pass was valid were already full, so he had to park farther away.

"If I want to park, I need to park and then take a bus to class anyway, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having a car," Tomah said.

A university spokesperson said it’s not unusual for students to have trouble learning where and when they can park at the beginning of the school year.

Therefore officers "liberally issued warnings in the first week of the semester, and that helps students avoid parking mistakes in the future."

Those warnings do not carry a fine. But Tomah said he’s learned the hard way that having a car on campus isn’t as convenient as it seems.

State to Fund Putnam Bridge Walking Path Connectors


The state will provide $1 million to design and engineer the connectors that will link the pedestrian path on Route 3's Putnam Bridge, according to Transportation Commissioner Jim Redeker.

The connectors will physically link the bridge to both Glastonbury and Wethersfield on the north- and southbound sides, respectively.

"This is an example of us putting our money where our mouth is," Redeker said during an interview Friday. "This is something that the community has wanted for a long, long, long time and I would say if you had come to DOT five years ago, it would have been completed just as it was, in kind, without this kind of treatment."

The Department of Transportation finished renovating the bridge earlier this year. During the improvement process, a walkway was added along one side.

Glastonbury residents have been asking for more trails, walkable roads and bridges for years. Town Manager Richard Johnson said the project answered many of those requests and will only improve the way people get around the region.

“By constructing the walkway that’s a huge improvement and really a step in the right direction for improving and responding to requests for improved walkability," said Johnson.

The funds for the connectors are expected to be approved at the next State Bond Commission meeting.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Cops Laughing About Suspects


Two short video clips posted to social media Friday appear to show a pair of San Francisco police officers laughing and joking about shooting suspects, and police said they are hoping to learn more about the video.

The videos posted to Instagram appear to show two SFPD officers in a doughnut shop having a discussion about evidence they would or wouldn't want captured on body cameras. The video was accompanied by a caption that said it was recorded at the Happy Donuts location near 24th and Church streets, which a store employee confirmed to NBC Bay Area on Friday.

In the video, the officers discuss how they want to make sure suspects pointing a gun at them are captured on video when shot but not suspects putting their hands up.

"What you want on video is the guy holding the gun still going (inaudible) still pointing at you."

They laugh when discussing what it would look like when a suspect is shot in the chest or head.

SFPD Chief Greg Suhr wants the person who videotaped the officers to show them the full length conversation, not just the two clips posted. He says the full context may lead disciplinary action against the officers.

The videos were posted separtely labeled part one and part two.

San Francisco police do not wear body cameras but the city has been working on a policy to equip officers with them.

San Francisco police said Friday the department opened an investigation after becoming aware of the videos. Police are asking the person who shot the video for to contact the department's Internal Affairs Division at 415-575-5856.

Bay City News contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Student Forced to Take Down Flag


On the anniversary of 9/11, it would seem normal for American flags to be flying everywhere, but one student at Alvernia University in Reading, Pennsylvania was forced to take his flag down when he and his roommates hung it from the window of their on-campus townhouse.

“I'm a firefighter, so in honor of the 343 firefighters (that were killed on 9/11), I, along with my roommates, draped a flag from our second floor windows,” Zach Zechman, a senior at Alvernia told NBC10.

After a couple hours of the flag hanging, two resident assistants came and told Zechman he had to take it down. He said they brought a printed copy of the section of the student handbook that prohibits objects hanging from windows.

“American flags are welcome and flying throughout Alvernia’s campus at half-staff in honor of the day,” Carey Manzolillo, Associate Director of Communications for the University told NBC10 in an email. “Our student policy does however state that sheets, banners or other such objects may not be hung outside of windows or on the exterior portion of any residence hall.”

Manzolillo said the information could be found on page 61 of the Alvernia Student Handbook.

Zechman said he took the flag down, and is trying to set up a meeting with the Dean of Students to change the rules for certain days.

“I want it to be different for a day like today, where something like that means something,” Zechman said. 

Photo Credit: Zach Zechman

Serial Bank Robber Strikes Again in Killingworth: Source


Investigators believe the man who robbed a bank in Killingworth Friday evening may have committed six other robberies in the state, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

State police said a man robbed the TD Bank at 184 Clinton Road/Route 81 shortly after 5:30 p.m. Friday. They described the suspect as a thin man in his 30s, between 5 feet 9 and 5 feet 11 inches tall, wearing dark-colored shorts, sneakers, a gray T-shirt and a light-colored baseball cap.

A source with knowledge of the investigation told NBC Connecticut police believe the culprit is a serial bank robber who has committed similar robberies across central Connecticut.

During previous holdups, the culprit wore a baseball cap and appeared to have been talking on a cellphone. He slipped the tellers notes demanding money and threatening them with a weapon, although no weapon was ever displayed.

Several state agencies and the FBI are involved in the case, and the Connecticut Banker's Association is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Kitten Suffers Serious Injury at the Hands of Kids: Officials


New London Animal Control is working to save a 4-month-old cat who suffered a serious injury at the hands of neighborhood kids.

According to animal control, children hit or kicked "Chloe" hard enough to snap her left humerus, which is now in a splint.

They hope to care for Chloe and nurse her back to health, but it will cost more than $1,000 to perform surgery or splint or amputate her leg, and there's not enough money in the budget.

Without donations, the only option is to euthanize Chloe, according to New London Animal Control.

Donations can be mailed to the following location:

Chloe’s Fund – New London ACO
VCA-New London Animal Hospital
122 Cross Road
Waterford, CT 06385

You can also call the animal hospital directly at 860-442-0611.

Photo Credit: New London Animal Control
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live