Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

2 Charged After Dogs Brutally Attack Health Care Worker


Police have arrested a woman and her boyfriend in connection with a vicious dog attack in Plainfield that left a home health care worker seriously injured last December.

Jenna Allen, 29, and Corey Beakey, 29, both residents of Plainfield's Wauregan Village, turned themselves in around 12:45 p.m. on Monday. 

Police said health-care worker Lynne Denning, 56, of Canterbury, was caring for an elderly patient at Beakey and Allen's home on Putnam Road when two dogs mauled her Dec. 3.

Town records list Allen as one of the dogs' owners.

Denning "suffered brutal injuries" to her face, chest, arms and legs and has undergo at least 13 surgeries in the months since, according to police and family members.

Town officials confiscated five Rottweilers and a Labrador from the home. The dogs, which were all present at the time of the attack, were quarantined at the Plainfield Animal Shelter.

Days later, officials announced plans to euthanize the dogs but said in August they were unable to prove four of the dogs took part in the attack and opted to return them to their owners. The move sparked outrage among townspeople.

Denning's husband said he's pleased by the arrest but doesn't understand how the town can justify allowing any of the dogs to go home.

He said he and his wife will attend a state Department of Agriculture meeting this Wednesday to discuss the attack and the dogs' fates. According to the attorney representing Allen and Beakey, Wednesday's meeting will determine whether the dogs will be euthanized.

Attorney Ryan Barry said in a statement Monday "the timing of this arrest is dubious."

"The Plainfield Police Department could have made these arrests at any point in the past nine months but they chose to pursue the charges 2 days before the hearing," Barry said in the statement. "This was a very calculated and underhanded tactic by the Plainfield Police Department, making it almost impossible for Jenna to exercise her constitutional rights to defend herself."

Allen was charged with reckless endangerment in the second degree, two counts of possession of a nuisance dog and five counts of failure to comply with dog license requirements.

Beakey, who previously told NBC Connecticut the animals are show dogs and are safe, was charged with reckless endangerment in the second degree.

Both were released on $10,000 bond and are scheduled to appear in Danielson Superior Court on Sept. 28.

The Norwich Bulletin reported in June that the Denning family plans to sue the town for failing to control the dogs.

Photo Credit: Brittany Allen/Plainfield Police Department

Car Crashes Into Sand Barrels, CT Transit Bus on I-84


A car that hit sand barrels on Interstate 84 west rebounded and hit a CT Transit bus in Hartford.

The two right lanes were blocked near exit 47 for Sigourney Street, but the scene has since been clear and all lanes have reopened.

An ambulance was called to the scene.

There is no word on injuries.

Photo Credit: DOT

Water Main Break Causes Delays on Route 6 in Bristol


There are heavy delays on Route 6 in Bristol after a water main break.

The break is in the area of Home Depot, at 1158 Farmington Ave. The road is open, but two police officers are at the scene, directing traffic.

Two officers are at the on scene to direct. 

DMV Urges Customers Renew Now and Not Wait Out Extension


Officials from the state Department of Motor Vehicles said they are making progress after being plagued with long lines in the days following a major computer upgrade. However, they are warning residents not to wait until the last minute to renew licenses, identification cars and registrations that were extended because the work on the system. 

DMV Commissioner Andres Ayala Jr. held a news briefing on Tuesday afternoon to discuss the upgrade of registration computer systems and said the transition has gone as "smoothly as something this large could go."

DMV officers were closed from Aug. 11 to Aug. 15 for the upgrades and Gov. Dannel Malloy and Commissioner Ayala ordered all expiration date of all driver’s licenses, ID cards or vehicle registrations to be extended through Oct. 10 with no late fee for renewals until then. With that deadline quickly approaching, the DMV said now is the time to act and you might not have to go to a DMV branch to complete the process.

“Customers need to get it done and now is the time for people to start doing them,” said DMV Commissioner Ayala said in a statement, “We don’t want them waiting in line unnecessarily.” 

He said as time goes on, the DMV expects the wait time at DMV branches to go down.

"We expect the wait time in branches to lessen even more in the coming months as the the number of renewals decrease. Indeed, people can and should go online or mail them in, but many still show up to our offices. The number of notices will be decreasing by the thousands during the next few months due to our regular cycles for renewals."

This will pick up again after at the beginning of 2016, he said, and the DMV is preparing a proposal for virtual queuing in DMV offices to reduce lines. 

Residents can check the DMV website for tax delinquencies, reports on overdue emissions tests or failure to have state-required vehicle insurance, which often hold up registering a new vehicle or doing a renewal, according to DMV officials. 

If you are deliquent on taxes, you might not need to go to the DMV. Towns and municipalities have been linked to DMV computer systems for real-time resolution in DMV computers. Once that is done, a customer can do the renewal from a home computer, smartphone or tablet.

Emissions test stations also have a direct link to DMV. Once the test is passed and completed, a customer can renew a registration online.  

The new online services DMV offers are:

  • Improved online registration renewal program. Anyone charged a late fee online for a renewal date from Aug. 11 to Oct. 10 will be reimbursed.
  • Online checks for items, such as unpaid property taxes, lack of insurance, delinquent parking violations, which can hold up a registration renewal and cause repeat trips to DMV.
  • Reprints of registration certificates from home or other computers.
  • Registration cancelations online.
  • Online ordering of special plates, such as vanity plates.
  • Online ordering of replacements for damaged plates.
  • Electronic notification by providing customers with an option for DMV to contact them either by mail or e-mail.
  • Streamline efficiency of technology in the agency to with services in branch offices.

Man Claims Diplomatic Immunity After Exotic Cars Speed Through Beverly Hills


Police are investigating a street race between two high-performance exotic cars in Beverly Hills that garnered hundreds of thousands of views on YouTube — and the man claiming to own the cars says he is protected by diplomatic immunity.

The video shows a white Porsche 911 and a yellow Ferrari LaFerrari, a hybrid supercar with a combined horsepower rating of around 950, speeding through a residential tract at high speeds on Saturday evening in the 700 block of North Walden Drive. It includes an exchange between a journalist who captured the video and a man outside the house where the Ferrari was parked.

Video journalist Jacob Rogers said the man confronted him over his filming.

"He told me verbatim, 'I could have you killed and get away with it,'" Rogers said. "I told him, 'the press is allowed to be here on the sidewalk on a public street.' He said, '(Expletive) America' and threw a cigarette at me."

At one point the cars speed through a stop sign. The LaFerrari appears to nearly sideswipe the car of another motorist that's not involved in the street race.

The video ends when the Ferrari's engine starts smoking and pulls back into the driveway. Police could be seen arriving in the neighborhood.

A new LaFerrari carries a price tag of about $1.5 million, but KBB told NBC4 the car could fetch up to $5 million.

Neighbors were furious.

"The kids were terrified and the neighbors were out and this woman was screaming 'cause her husband almost got run over," said Roya Levian.

Police said they did not see the violations and "could not take any law enforcement action such as a citation or arrest," according to a news release.

While police were conducting their investigation, they were approached by a man who said the vehicles belonged to him and denied speeding, running stop signs or driving recklessly.

He said he had diplomatic immunity.

Police said they have been in contact with the United States State Department about the diplomatic status of the people involved and the legality of the vehicles driven on the road. The license plate of the Ferrari belonged to Qatar. 

The renters of the $10 million home where the cars were seen did not want to talk to NBC4 on Monday.

Photo Credit: effspot

Seymour Bank Robber Pleads Guilty


A 53-year-old former New Haven man has pleaded guilty to committing an armed robbery at a Seymour bank in 2013. 

Daniel Hamlett Sr., 53, drove a stolen vehicle to the Webster Bank, at 15 New Haven Road, in Seymour on the afternoon of April 19, 2013, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office. 

Disguised in a mask, he approached a man in a parked car, smashed the window of the driver's seat and demanded money, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice.

When the victim said he did not have cash, Hamlett took the victim's car keys and phone and told him not to move. 

Then, he proceeded to go into the bank, ordered everyone on the floor, jumped over the counter, stole $5,594 from two teller drawers and grabbed both dye packs so the stolen cash wouldn’t be marked.

Then, he jumped back over the counter and left in the stolen car.

Federal officials said Hamlett's son, Daniel Hamlett Jr., then picked him up and eluded police. 

As authorities searched for Daniel Hamlett Sr., the FBI offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

He was arrested in Georgia on Nov. 13, 2014 and Daniel Hamlett Jr. was arrested on March 14, 2014.  

On October 31, 2014, Daniel Hamlett Jr. pleaded guilty to one count of aiding and abetting bank robbery and has not yet been sentenced.

Photo Credit: FBI/Seymour Police Department

'Orange is the New Black' Star to Visit Mohegan Sun


Pennsatucky may be an inmate in Litchfield Prison, but luckily it won't take going into lockup to see the woman behind the religious zealot from "Orange is the New Black."

You can meet actress Taryn Manning, who plays the character on the popular Emmy-nominated Netflix series, right here in Connecticut at Mohegan Sun on Halloween. 

You can get her autograph at the Signings and Sightings event, starting at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 31, followed by a live question and answer session at 10 p.m. in The Shops concourse at Mohegan, where you can ask her everything you've been dying to know about playing Pennsatucky.

The break-out role might be how Manning is known, but she is also a dancer who is classically trained and a clothing designer with her own line, Born Unique.

She's also a recognized musician who has a solo artist and DJ career. She'll be doing a DJ set at the Vista Lounge at Mohegan Sun later in the evening, so you can hear her music for yourself.

Her song, "Send Me Your Love" previously topped the Billboards Dance charts, according to her website. Her remake of "Rip Her to Shreds" with her her brother Kellin Manning as a member of the electronic and pop duo Boomkat is heard in the opening of the movie, "Mean Girls," according to her website. Eminem licensed her single "Wastin' My Time" for "8 Mile" and her song, "The Wreckoning" was in the opening to "The Italian Job," according to her website. You can also hear her solo tracks on The CW's "Melrose Place" and "Hawaii 5-0," her website bio states.

The event is first-come, first-served, so get there early.

Due to the time constraints of the event, Manning won't be able to sign personalized messages or take photographs with fans' personal cameras. However, her headshots will be available.

Organizers will hand out bracelets at the venue starting at 8 p.m. and there will only be a limited number given out. You have to have a bracelet to get into the line for her autograph.

You can find out more information about Manning on her website, www.tarynmanning.com.

Police Issue Silver Alert for Missing 2-Year-Old Hartford Boy


State police have issued a Silver Alert for a missing 2-year-old Hartford boy.

Na'Schei Jackson was last seen with his mom, Jalin Jackson, on Sept. 11.

State police said the last time the mom and child were heard from was on Sunday.

This Silver Alert lists Na'Schei Jackson as endangered for custodial reasons, but police said that the boy is not believed to be in danger.

He has black hair and brown eyes. He is about 3-feet-tall and weighs 30 pounds, state police said.

Hartford police ask anyone with information to call 860-747-4182.

Photo Credit: State Police

Photo of 'Umbrella Dad' Goes Viral


A photo of a grown man and a young boy walking together in the rain in New York City has gone viral after it was shared on Reddit over the weekend.

The man, assumed to be the father, is soaked wet from the rain while he holds an umbrella over the young boy, assumed to be his son.

The photo was first uploaded to Reddit by 25-year-old Eumine Choi, who goes by the username "Mystarbucknameismike," on Friday night with the caption: "Hope the son just grows up to realize how lucky he is... Pay it forward."

Choi told NBC News he took the photo in Flushing, Queens, after leaving work, and had originally intended to only share the photo on Facebook. He said he didn't think it would grab so much attention.

The photo was reposted by another user an hour later with the simple caption: "Dads." That post has been viewed more than 3 million times.

Photo Credit: "Today" show
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Pop Singer, Heiress Charged in Connection to SoCal Murder


Three people have been charged in connection with a murder in Glendale, California, including a self-proclaimed heiress and an up-and-coming pop singer.

Glendale police allege that John Michael King-Smith, 31, was killed in a condo on West Windsor Road early Thursday morning in the home of Sparkle Soojian, 32, with the help of Jared Kasiewicz, 28.

Courtney Argue, 25, pleaded not guilty Monday on a charge of accessory to murder after the fact. Her attorney said she would be freed Monday night after posting $50,000 bail.

Soojian's arraignment was scheduled for Tuesday because her attorney was not present Monday.

Argue is a rising pop star who also works on the side as a "shot girl" serving drinks at clubs and parties, according to her attorney.

The attorney said Argue works for a business called Sparkle's Angels, owned by the self-proclaimed heiress who is accused of the murder.

On the company's website, a bio claims that owner Soojian is a heiress of Ak Mak, an Armenian cracker bread invented by her grandparents.

The cause of King-Smith's death has not yet been released.

Kasiewicz pleaded not guilty to murder Monday. Kasiewicz and Soojian are both being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Photo Credit: KNBC-TV

Manchester Home Depot Reopens After Gas Leak


Authorities have allowed people to go back inside a Manchester Home Depot after it was evacuated due to a gas leak on Tuesday.

A gas meter was leaking from the outside into the entrance of the building at 80 Buckland Hills Drive. The call came in to the Manchester Fire Department around 9:42 a.m.

No one was hurt and the incident was minor, according to Manchester fire officials.

Firefighters have cleared the scene. The store only remained evacuated for a half an hour.

Mechanic's Kneecaps Broken While Trying to Stop Car Thief


Waterbury police are seeking a car thief suspected of breaking a mechanic's kneecaps when he tried to stop him.

The suspect stole a 1993 Honda from a mechanic at Apex Automotive, located on Thomaston Avenue, while he was warming up his car as he was closing the business at 8:45 p.m., police said. The mechanic heard his car revving and noticed someone trying to steal his car, according to police. He opened the door to stop the thief, but the person reversed the car, causing him to get trapped in the door and get dragged onto the road as the car moved.

The car thief took off with the car, leaving the mechanic behind. He was seriously injured.

While police found the stolen Honda, they are still looking for the car thief.

No description of the suspect has been provided.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Starbucks Apologizes to Sergeant Denied Restroom


In the wake of a social media post that went viral over the weekend claiming a Starbucks barista denied a uniformed Philadelphia Police sergeant access to a restroom at a downtown Philadelphia coffee shop, Starbucks has apologized to the sergeant.

A spokesperson for the international coffee shop chain told NBC10 that the company personally apologized to the police sergeant for the incident, which happened late last week. The sergeant, according to a Facebook post shared thousands of times, walked into the Starbucks at 13th and Chestnut streets and asked for the key code to use the restroom. An employee, according to the post, "State[d] in a loud voice ... that the bathroom is for paying customers only."

The post went on to say that the sergeant politely requested access again, and that the Starbucks employee continued to deny it loudly as customers listened.

"While she continued loudly to tell me about the bathroom down the street, I was even more astonished that the many customers and other employees said nothing and seemed indifferent. This is the world cops live in anymore," wrote the sergeant, who has declined to comment, saying he didn't anticipate that his post would gain such traction.

Officer Joe Leighthardt, a friend of the sergeant, was the first to share the fellow officer's post about the incident. Leighthardt said he personally has been to that Starbucks location several times on calls for service, but never as a customer.

"I didn't intend for it to go viral," Leighthardt said, adding that most people who have responded to the post have been supportive.

In reply to Leighthardt's post on Starbucks' official Facebook page, Starbucks wrote in part, "We are aware of this situation, and it is certainly not in line with the experience we want any of our customers to have in our stores. We are taking all necessary steps to ensure this doesn't happen in the future."

A spokesperson for Starbucks did not specify what those steps are when asked by NBC10, but wrote, "We want everyone who visits our stores to enjoy their visit. This customer's experience was not consistent with the welcoming and friendly environment we strive to create for everyone.

"We have personally apologized to the customer and look forward to welcoming him back to our store."

NBC10's Rosemary Connors visited the Starbucks Monday and was allowed to use the bathroom without having to pay for anything. An employee at a Center City Starbucks, who did not want to be identified, also sent the following message to NBC10:

I work at a Center City Starbucks and we allow any customer to use the restroom, we often make an exception for uniformed police officers though, considering their presence keeps us safe.

I've worked for the company for 8 years, and there has always been a problem with non-customers trying to use our bathrooms for bathing or changing, or using drugs. Once, a co-worker of mine was stuck with a syringe while taking out the trash! Limiting our restrooms is for safety to our baristas, however I do agree that uniformed cops, PPA reps, and other federal, state and city employees, should have an exception be made for them.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Warm and Dry Weather Continues


A long stretch of dry weather has begun as high pressure is parked over the eastern United States.

Today features unlimited sunshine with high temperatures in the lower-80s.

Warmer air arrives tomorrow, with temperatures climbing into the lower- and middle-80s.

The jet stream is far to the north in Canada. Not only does the jet drive the weather, but it also corresponds with a big change in temperature at the surface.

Given that the jet stream is so far away from Connecticut through the end of the week, no large change in temperature is anticipated, nor is any rain going to come close to the state.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday all feature an abundance of sunshine, with inland high temperatures in the middle- and upper-80s and shoreline high temperatures in the lower- and middle-80s.

The 2015 rainfall deficit is 4 inches at Bradley International in Windsor Locks and 5.3 inches at Sikorsky Airport in Bridgeport, which is equivalent to a month's worth of rain.

Low temperatures through the end of the week will be in the upper-50s in the hill towns, but lower- and middle-60s as one gets closer to Long Island Sound.

A moisture-starved cold front approaches late in the weekend. An isolated shower is possible Sunday, but the front is not impressive at all and most of the state could get through Sunday without a drop of rain.

Stay with the NBC Connecticut First Alert weather team for the very latest forecast on-air, online and on the app.

Oxford Man Pleads Guilty to Murder of Wife


A Connecticut man has pleaded guilty to the murder of his estranged wife last May.

Police said Scott Gellatly, 47, killed Lori Gellatly, the 32-year-old mother of his twin children, and shot his mother-in-law, Merry Jackson, in Oxford in May 2014. 

State police said a woman called to report that her estranged husband was trying to break into her house on Sioux Drive in Oxford around 5:45 a.m. May 7.

Soon after the call was made, it was disconnected. Then, police received a 911 call from a neighbor who reported hearing gunshots and seeing Scott Gellatly run from the house and drive away, according to the police investigation report. 

When officers arrived at the house, they found Lori Gellatly and Jackson, who had been shot several times. They were taken to the hospital, where Lori Gellatly was pronounced dead.

After a statewide manhunt, police found Scott Gellatly later that morning in a car at a former KFC restaurant at the end of Route 8 in Winsted, about 45 minutes from the scene of the shooting.

He was alone in the car and had run a green garden hose from the tailpipe into the vehicle in an apparent suicide attempt, according to police. Emergency responders revived Scott Gellatly and took him to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital in Torrington.

When police interviewed him, Scott Gellatly said he had no knowledge of any weapons and couldn't remember if he was at his wife's home earlier in the morning. He also said that he woke up that day and wanted to commit suicide.

Lori and Scott Gellatly were supposed to be in court the next day for a hearing on an application for a restraining order Lori Gellatly had filed against her estranged husband.

Scott Gellatly's mother-in-law and former wife had also applied for restraining orders, according to court records. One said he was not taking his medication and sent the women and his children away out of concern for their safety because he thought he could get out of control.

In her application for protection, Lori Gellatly said she was concerned for her safety and the safety of her children after an incident in April 2014.

"Scott yelled in my face on 4/1/14 and got very angry. I felt threatened and told him I didn't feel safe and was going to leave with the twins," she wrote. 

According to the application, Lori Gellatly obtained a temporary restraining order on April 3, 2014, but officials could not serve it in time for it to become permanent.

One of the conditions of the restraining order was that Scott Gellatly was not supposed to possess firearms, ammunition or any electronic defense weapons.

Scott Gellatly pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder and is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 17.

He will serve an agreed-upon 45 years in prison, according to State's Attorney Kevin Lawlor.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

NJ Teen Arrested for Pope Threat


A South Jersey teen was arrested in an alleged plot to carry out an attack during Pope Francis’ visit to the United States, which begins Sept. 22, NBC News confirmed.

The suspect is a 15-year-old. A source familiar with the case told NBC New York that the teen possibly suffers from mental-health issues and had been living in a tent in the backyard of his family's Camden County home.

The source said law-enforcement officials initially debated whether to charge the teen given his age and mental-health status, but decided to move forward with criminal charges because the threats involved the pope and the teen made online contact with people overseas. The teen had also been reviewing ISIS material online, the source said.

A confidential informant had been helping authorities to keep track on the teen, the source told NBC New York.

NBC News confirmed that an alert went out to law enforcement back in August about the potential threat. The alert indicated that the teen was planning a detailed attack that involved multiple attackers, firearms and explosives against a visiting dignitary.

The alert says the teen obtained detailed explosives instructions and disseminated them online through social media. A source, however, told NBC New York the teen had no access to money, resources or materials and authorities do not believe he was capable of becoming operational.

ABC News first reported the threat, citing an intelligence bulletin by the FBI and Department of Homeland Security that said "the minor was inspired by [ISIS]."

The FBI declined to comment on any specific investigation, providing a statement that read in part, "The FBI is working closely with the United States Secret Service and our federal, state and local partners in advance of the Papal visit to ensure the safety and security of all."

Officials at the Vatican were asked about any threats to the Pope during a security-related news conference Tuesday.

“We are not aware of any specific threat to the Pope. The Pope will travel on an open-roof Popemobile to be in touch with the people, as he always does,” a Vatican spokesperson said.

The FBI told NBC10 they are working with federal, state and local partners to ensure a safe environment during the Pope’s visit to Philadelphia on Sept. 26 and 27. Prior to visiting Philadelphia, Pope Francis will make stops in New York City and Washington, DC.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Person Airlifted After Falling From Bicycle


A person was airlifted to the hospital Tuesday after falling off her bicycle in Barkhamsted, according to emergency dispatchers.

Dispatchers said the female victim fell in the area of East River Road and Lighthouse Trail.

Authorities said the victim was injured but have not released any information on her condition.

'Armed and Dangerous' Suspect Turns Himself In


A suspected drug dealer whose Stratford home was the scene of a drug investigation and officer-involved shooting last week has turned himself in, according to the police department.

Tariq Young, 22, of 25 Yarwood Street, was wanted for sale of narcotics and sale of narcotics in a school zone, according to Stratford police, who described Young as armed and dangerous.

Investigators searched his home last Friday and found heroin, prescription drugs, cocaine and two loaded hand guns, one of them stolen, according to police.

During the search, William Rucker, 41, allegedly attacked police with a hammer. An officer shot him the hand.

Rucker and a woman who lives at 25 Yarwood Street, Tonya Rankin, were both arrested.

Photo Credit: Stratford Police Department

Initiative Brings Bikes to New Britain Art Museum


Six newly painted, refurbished bicycles are now available to the public in the Hardware City, thanks to the New Britain Museum of American Art.

For a $10 refundable deposit, residents can visit the New Britain Museum of American Art and explore a community that's surprisingly friendly to bicyclists.

"People have been thrilled," said Melanie Carr, liaison to Bike New Britain for the museum. "They have used the bikes to see the surrounding park area, downtown, and it's very beautiful around here."

Mark Hoffman, who oversaw the mechanics working on the bikes and helped lined up artists to paint them, called the initiative "a perfect fit with the museum."

"We needed a place to administer it, and they were good enough to step forward and volunteer to do that," he explained.

The art bikes will allow museum visitors to discover the city as well.

"It's a good place to live," Hoffman said. "People should appreciate it. A lot of people don't realize how good New Britain is."

Many city streets feature bicycle markings that will should help riders find their way around safely.

"We've installed over fifty miles of bike lanes and shared roadways, "so we're really proud of it and this is another way to celebrate that," said C.J. Gandza of the city's public works department.

So is the Hardware City Bike Tour which takes place Sunday, Sept. 27. It begins and ends at the museum.

Driver Rams Cars, Pulls Knife on State Police: Cops


A 63-year-old Plainville man is accused of purposefully smashing his car into several other vehicles and trying to run at least one off the road, then attempting to ram a police cruiser and pull a knife on troopers who confronted him.

Police arrested John Bielawski early Tuesday morning.

According to state police, Bielawski "intentionally struck other vehicles" in Montville with his silver Chevrolet Express, injuring another driver, and drove off just before 1 a.m. Tuesday.

About an hour later, state police received word that New London officers were chasing Bielawski. Troopers responded and watched Bielawski try to run another car off the road with his van, according to police.

State police tried to stop Bielawski, but he refused and led them on a chase, trying multiple times to hit the troopers' cruiser, police said.

Troopers then used stop sticks to deflate the van's tires "due to the extreme danger the operator of the van posed to the public," according to state police.

Police said Bielawski would not get out of the van and "actively resisted arrest" when troopers confronted him. He reached for a large knife, and state police used a K-9 to apprehend him.

One trooper suffered minor injuries while taking Bielawski into custody, according to state police. Bielawski was treated at Lawrence + Memorial Hospital.

He was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment, engaging police in pursuit, third-degree assault, second-degree threatening, first-degree criminal mischief, second-degree breach of peace, evading responsibility, reckless driving, attempted assault on police and carrying weapons in a motor vehicle.

Bielawski's bond was set at $50,000. He's due in court Sept. 16.

It's not clear if he has an attorney.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live