Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

4 Hurt When Plane Hits Turbulence


A Southwest Airlines flight bound for Chicago was forced to double back to Boston's Logan Airport on Monday night after hitting turbulence so severe passengers vomited and passed out and four people were injured.

Flight 147 had only been in the air about 10 minutes when the plane hit bad turbulence around 9:20 p.m. ET, flight officials said.

Some of the 133 passengers on board said they felt as if the plane had been falling before it "suddenly stopped." Witnesses told NBC Chicago the impact was so severe, some people on board started throwing up and others fainted, prompting the pilot to ask for help from passengers with medical training.

"I helped one of the flight attendants [then] went back to the seat," said Dr. Nathaniel George, a podiatrist from Chicago. "I think somebody yelled out. Another passenger got nauseous. ... Then they said they had to turn the plane around."

Chicago nurse Sherry Sanchez was among those who jumped in to help.

"There was another girl passed out, there was about four to five people throwing up," Sanchez recalled in an interview with NBC Chicago. "The other flight attendant fell into the side of a chair, hurt his arm, but he didn't break it. ... It was pretty scary for everybody on the plane."

The pilot turned the plane around and landed in Boston just after midnight. According to MassPort, four people suffered minor injuries. Two were taken to a local hospital. The other two refused medical treatment.

"Thankfully, there were a lot of people able to help," said passenger Angela Gordon, a teacher in Chicago. "Everyone came together and supported one another, but we're all exhausted."

Southwest brought in a new flight crew and the plane departed once again for Chicago, according the airline. It landed at Midway Airport around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, about four and a half hours behind schedule.

Photo Credit: AP

Police ID Victims of Double Homicide in Hartford


A young man and woman with a child were shot and killed in Hartford just before 10:30 p.m. on Monday and police are searching for the person who killed them.

Police responded to Campfield Avenue and Cowles Street when the shot spotter went off at 10:24 p.m. and they found Joshua Cortez, 22, of Hartford, in the street and his girlfriend, Alysha Ocasio, 23, of Newington, in a car a few feet away.

Cortez was pronounced dead at the scene and Ocasio was pronounced dead at Hartford Hospital.

The details on what happened are not clear, but police said there were likely a boyfriend-girlfriend issues and that escalated among several people. 

The grieving family members said the couple had a young daughter.

"She is the most decent young girl. Polite," Alysha Ocasio's uncle, Hector Ocasio, of Hartford, said. "I loved her because she’s so nice."

Authorities said this type of crime is unusual for this neighborhood and they are asking anyone with information to come forward.

Police said they are advancing quickly with the investigation.

A post on the Mothers United Against Violence Facebook page says a candlelight vigil will be held at 6 p.m. on Wednesday at 380 Campfield Ave.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

11 Displaced By Fire in Killingly


Eleven people were displaced in a fire at a multi-family home at 111 Maple St. in Killingly early Tuesday morning, but no one was injured.

Mutual aid was called in and firefighters arrived to find flames shooting from the window of the second floor.

Crews had trouble pulling up the floors because hardwood floors were put over the existing flooring, so everyone was called out for safety concerns and the fire spread to third floor and attic, officials said.

"The floor was covered with hard wood, so they couldn't pull ceilings and that type of thing. We had mutual aid come in from nine other departments and supplement our people. By that time, the fire had broken through the roof, and we pulled everybody out," Danielson Fire Chief Gerald Marcheterre said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Shot and Killed in East Hartford


Police are investigating the shooting death of a 35-year-old man in East Hartford on Monday night.

Police responded to Rector Street at 11:16 p.m. to investigate reports of gunshots and found Marshall Wiggins, a resident of the street, inside a car and suffering from gunshots.

He was brought to Hartford Hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Police are investigating and anyone with information should call the East Hartford Police Department tip line at 860-289-9134.

Photo Credit: East Hartford Police

Fireball Streaks Through New England Night Sky


A huge flash lit up the sky across New England around 1 a.m. Tuesday. Hundreds of people across the region reported seeing the flash, which was likely a fireball - a bright meteor or object that enters Earth's atmosphere.

The sight was captured on police dashcam video in Portland, Maine, and also spotted by necn viewers from Killington, Vermont, to Haverhill, Massachusetts. Surveillance video at Burlington International Airport also caught the amazing sight on camera.

It illuminated the night sky for just a few seconds before fading away.

"The meteor (or alien spaceship) was caught on camera at approximately 0050 hours," the Portland Police Department wrote on Facebook. "Let's hope the visitors are friendly. They could just be some of Stephen King's friends on there way to visit him. Whomever they are I'm sure we could win them over with a whoopie pie."

Several other Maine police departments also posted about the fireball on their social media accounts. Necn viewers also commented about it on Facebook.

"Around that time I was just getting home from work, and I heard a loud boom here in Livermore Falls (Maine)," said Brian Pelletier. "I just chalked it up to somebody starting up a motorcycle or something. But I bet it was from that."

"It went right by my bedroom window and lit up the room - it was huge here in South Portland," said Fran Mayodones.

"My husband saw it in Plymouth, Mass.," added Kathleen Mary Melker. "He said it was to the northeast over the ocean."

Others said they spotted it in Burlington, Vermont, and Townsend, Massachusetts.

Atop the Mount Washington Observatory, fog prevented observers from noticing much of anything.

Photo Credit: Michael McCormack/Portsmouthwebcam.com
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Many Sunscreens Don’t Meet SPF Claims: Consumer Reports


Consumer Reports tested 65 water-resistant sunscreens with SPF numbers of 30 or higher and found that nearly half did not meet their SPF claims. Nearly three-quarters of "natural" sunscreens also fell short.

Consumer Reports recommends 17 sunscreens that performed well on the tests, including La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk lotion, Pure Sun Defense SPF 50 lotion, No-Ad Sport SPF 50 lotion, Banana Boat SunComfort Continuous Spray SPF 50+, and Equate Sport Continuous Spray SPF 50.

If you're not using one of the top-rated products, Consumer Reports suggests using a chemical sunscreen with an SPF of at least 40 to get the minimum protection needed. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

'No Trump Anytime' Signs


The political season is hitting the streets in a very literal way in Washington, D.C. and other cities around the country.

News4 reporter Tom Sherwood spotted an unusual traffic sign outside the Howard Theater on Monday. In addition to the usual "No Parking" and "Tow Away" signs, there was another at the bottom of the stack: "No Trump Anytime."

The sign prohibiting presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump from parking in the area is not an official D.C. Department of Transportation or Metropolitan Police Department sign, Sherwood said.

He said a sticker on the back bears the name of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

"No Trump Anytime" signs have been spotted in other cities, including Los Angeles, London, Miami, New York and Chicago. They are the work of Plastic Jesus, a self-proclaimed urban creative strategist based in LA.

The artist, whose first name is Nick, told NBC Washington he made and personally installed the signs in Los Angeles and London. He said "collaborators" posted signs in other cities that he sent for prominent locations, "preferably in front of Trump buildings."

The former photojournalist, who is known for his guerrilla-style street art, did not give a reason for the sign but said he did the same for the Kardashians. 

In April 2015, the artist installed "No Kardashian Parking" signs around Hollywood.

Photo Credit: NBC4
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Woman Dies After Plastic Surgery


A West Virginia woman who died after undergoing plastic surgery at a South Florida clinic suffered a fat embolism, or clogged blood vessel, according to the medical examiner's report.

Heather Meadows died earlier this month after fat entered her bloodstream and blocked an artery during a procedure at Encore Plastic Surgery in Hialeah, the medical examiner said. Meadows was a 29-year-old mother of two, according to her family.

A heart defect also contributed to Meadows' death, which was listed as accidental, according to the examiner. Meadows' mother told NBC 6 she was unaware of her daughter's birth defect.

Meadows and a friend had traveled from West Virginia to Encore for a procedure known as a Brazilian butt lift, described on the clinic's website as a combination of liposuction and a fat graft. The procedure is meant "to make the glutes look round and firm" by redistributing fat, according to the clinic.

Meadows, whose procedure was first, went into cardiac arrest during surgery, according to police. She was rushed to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.

Encore Plastic Surgery is fully licensed, according to police, who said they are working with the health department to investigate Meadows' death. A manager at Encore was not available to comment Tuesday morning. An email to the clinic was not returned at the time of publication.

In a phone interview Monday, Meadows' mother told NBC 6 she is distraught and taking care of Meadows' two young children.

She said she plans to take legal action and has hired a local attorney to investigate her daughter's death. The attorney has requested all Meadows' medical records.

The family is now working to have Meadows' body sent home to West Virginia for burial.

Photo Credit: Family Photo

Man Reported Missing in Old Saybrook Has Been Found


Police have located a 19-year-old man reported missing in Old Saybrook.

Authorities conducted a land and sea search for Owen Newman, who disappeared form the Indian Town section of town, and said he was found at home in another town.

No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: Old Saybrook Police

Crash Closes Route 190 in Somers


Police responded to several crashes and rollovers this morning. 

Route 190 in Somers is closed after a car hit a utility pole and brought down wires and the driver sustained minor injuries, according to state police.

Utility crews have responded.

This is one of several crashes police have responded to this morning. There was a serious crash on Route 53, near Nashville Road, in Bethel, early this morning. 

A rollover on Interstate 691 Westbound between exits 5 and 4 in Meriden caused heavy delays and state police said there was a rollover on Route 11 North in Salem and Colchester, between exits 5 and 6.

No additional information was available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Mayor of East Hartford Issues Town-Wide Budget Freeze


The mayor of East Hartford has issued a town-wide budget freeze for the entire fiscal year 2017 because state budget cuts resulted in a $1.5 million shortfall and she is asking town directors to stop all non-emergency spending.

“The State of Connecticut has closed a nearly $1 billion FY 17 budget deficit with significant budget reductions, employee layoffs in the thousands, and deep cuts to municipal aid,” Mayor Marcia Leclerc said in a statement.

Now, the town will have to make $1.5 million worth of cuts to the recently approved $181 million budget.

“As a result, the State reduced aid to East Hartford by $1.5 million compared to the level that was expected when the Town Council set the budget on March 8, 2016. I am asking town directors to take the necessary steps to stop all non-emergency spending for the entire fiscal year,” she added.

She has asked department directors to immediately reduce discretionary spending, including non-essential training and travel, and all repairs to town vehicles except for those in emergency services.

To help stabilize the budget and avoid layoffs, Leclerk said East Hartford will place restrictions on overtime, spending, and halt all non-essential hiring, including any unfilled positions.

She is also asking that the spending reductions made this year be sustainable over coming budget years and is advising the Board of Education to expect no additional town contribution in fiscal year 2018.

The upcoming budget includes cuts for the board of education, town operations, post employment benefits and health insurance.

The cuts will be a shared sacrifice between departments, many of which will take about a 10 percent hit, she said.

The modified department budgets will be due by July 1.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Candidate Shows Porn in Browser


A candidate running for Virginia's 8th Congressional district shared a little too much information when he posted a screen shot of his web browser on his campaign's Facebook page Monday. 

Mike Webb, a Republican, was trying to show Yahoo search results, but the screen shot also captured browser tabs featuring pornography websites.

In a second post that also included the now-infamous screenshot, Webb explained that he was testing the pornography sites for viruses, ARLNow reports. Last month, Webb claimed a cyberattack kept him from filing his campaign finance report on time, according to ARLNow.

Both posts were later deleted and replaced with a "thank you" post

"I was very much moved by the love and support of those who expressed their encouragement and support, even some in the national and local press," Webb said. 

He also noted that the post helped his Facebook page "likes" grow 25 percent in one day.

Photo Credit: Facebook/Mike Webb
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

2,100 Hartford Students Out as DATTCO Bus Drivers Strike


Some 2,100 students were absent from Hartford Public Schools on Tuesday as DATTCO school bus drivers walked the picket line, school officials said.

Thirty drivers went on strike after nine months of unsuccessful union negotiations. School officials said Monday that students who could not attend school because of the lack of DATTCO bus service would be excused for the day.

Attendance at Hartford Public Schools — usually 93 percent down — fell to 85 percent on Tuesday. The one-day DATTCO strike affected a total of 9,000 students.

Picketing bus drivers are looking for the same benefits they say other drivers in the company receive, including a 401K, paid time off and an increase in hours from 20 to 25 or 30 a week.

"It’s been nerve-wracking. It’s been months. We’ve been doing this for about seven, eight, maybe nine, months now and it’s getting really frustrating," said school bus driver Stacy-Ann Barrett. "So we want them to see that we’re serious and that we really need this contract. We need it now."

Hartford Superintendent Beth Schiavino Narvaez released a statement Monday saying the school district is "disappointed that this bus provider and its bus drivers have been unable to reach an agreement to avoid this unnecessary interruption of transportation services."

According to DATTCO, the company reached an agreement with the union in April, but just learned the drivers rejected it.

The company released a statement Tuesday calling the strike "unfortunate and regrettable."

"Despite months of bargaining and the reaching of a tentative agreement, union leadership sought to place their own needs above those of our employees, the children and parents of the Hartford Public Schools, and the City of Hartford as a whole," said DATTCO chief operating officer Cliff Gibson.

Gibson said the company has continued to offer increases and "wages well above industry average." He accused union leadership of taking an "untimely and uncaring" stance and said DATTCO "will continue to bargain in good faith" with the help of a federal mediator.

Suburban magnet school students and special education students are not affected by the strike, according to school officials.

Hartford school officials said DATTCO's bus service should resume normal operations by Wednesday.

More negotiations are scheduled for later this week.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Worker Being Taken to Hospital After Fall in Middletown

Dog Dies in Care of Groomer


A PetSmart groomer has been arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty after a dog died in his care at a store in San Mateo, California, authorities said.

The dog, a 1-year-old male dachshund named Henry, died Sunday at the PetSmart in the 3500 block of South El Camino Real. Officers responded and spoke with the dog's owner, a 47-year old San Mateo resident who said he brought Henry to the store to be groomed, according to police.

About three minutes later, the groomer, identified as 38-year old Juan Zarate of San Francisco, exited the grooming office holding Henry and told officers the dog was suffering a medical emergency, police said. Henry was bleeding from the mouth and having trouble breathing.

Zarate took Henry to the on-site veterinarian, who took emergency measures to try to save him. The dog died a few minutes later, police said.

A postmortem X-ray determined Henry had suffered two broken ribs and a punctured lung, authorities said.

San Mateo police determined Zarate's deliberate actions contributed to the dog's death. Zarate was arrested at the scene and booked on suspicion of felony animal cruelty. He posted bail Monday and is no longer in custody. It's not clear if he has hired an attorney.

The Humane Society will conduct a necropsy on Henry to determine his cause of death.

PetSmart said in a statement Monday it is "heartbroken over the loss of Henry."

"Nothing is more important than the health and safety of pets, and we take full responsibility for the pets in our care," PetSmart said.

The company said it is conducting an internal investigation, and Zarate is suspended pending the outcome.

"Any incident of animal cruelty goes against everything we believe as a company and as individual pet parents," PetSmart said in the statement. "No words can express our deep sorrow for the family, and we will continue to work with the pet parent during this difficult time."

Hannah Hartman, who said her dog was maimed a couple years ago at another pet store, was devastated to learn of Henry's death but said she wasn't entirely surprised.

"My dog was almost killed and had to have a major hip surgery," she said.

Hartman, who has taken up the cause, said there is no law in California regulating pet groomers. While some are licensed, Hartman said, it's not mandated by the state.

A bill dubbed "Lucy's Law" was proposed in 2012 after a dog was severely injured by a groomer. Lawmakers rejected the measure, and Hartman has been fighting to revive it ever since.

"If the groomer is no longer working in that salon, he could be grooming a mile down the street," she said.

Teri DiMarino, president and founder of the California Professional Pet Groomers Association, said "Lucy's Law" is not the answer.

"Legislation and licensing is not going to do a whole lot of good because as with any licensed industry, there is no standard and no test for carelessness and stupidity,” DiMarino said.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Woman Poured Bleach on Kids: Police


Vernon police arrested a woman is accused of pouring bleach on children on Saturday because she was unhappy about them sitting near her front porch.

Police have charged Monique Mitchell, 27, of Vernon with second-degree breach of peace and risk of injury to minor.

Police responded to Terrace Drive at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday after receiving reports of a woman pouring a mixture of bleach and water on children.

The woman who reached out to police said her son and his friends were playing kickball in front of Mitchell’s apartment and she came outside and threw the bleach and water on them twice because she wasn't happy the children were sitting near her front porch, police said.

Mitchell told investigators that she was trying to clean her front porch area off after a popsicle had spilled on the ground and claimed she didn't ask the children to move because she assumed they wouldn't listen to her.

Police said the children were not injured not, but their clothes were splashed with bleach.

Mitchell was arrested, brought to the Vernon Police Department and released on a $500 surety bond. She is due in May 24.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police

Man Charged in 2014 Armed Robbery in East Windsor


Police have arrested a Massachusetts man who is accused of robbing the clerk of an East Windsor liquor store at gunpoint in 2014.

Jeffrey Nentwig, 40 of Chicopee, Massachusetts, has been charged with first-degree robbery and fourth-degree larceny in connection with an armed robbery on Jan. 30, 2014 at Sofia's Package Store at 2 North Road.

Nentwig was sentenced to seven years in a Massachusetts prison late last year for robbing five Massachusetts stores in 2014, police said, and he was transported from Massachusetts to Enfield Superior Court on Tuesday for the East Windsor charges.

Police said he is also suspected of committing robberies in Enfield and Suffield.

Nentwig will return to a Massachusetts prison to serve the remainder of his seven-year sentence.

Photo Credit: East Windsor police

Former Owner of New Britain Gun Company to Serve Probation


The former owner of Stag Arms, LLC of New Britain will serve two years probation and pay a $100,000 fine and the company has been ordered to pay a $500,000 fine for violating federal firearms laws.

In December, Stag Arms LLC pleaded guilty to possession of one count of possession of unregistered machine guns and the former owner, Mark Malkowski, pleaded guilty to failure to maintain firearms records.

“This is the first time nationwide that a major firearms manufacturer has been convicted of a felony and had its license revoked, effectively forcing the company to be sold to new owners,” U.S. Attorney Deirdre Daly said in a statement. “Stag displayed a systemic and egregious disregard of federal firearms regulations. The company was unable to account for hundreds of semi-automatic rifles and possessed over sixty unregistered machine guns."

In a previously released statement, Stag Arms' founder Mark Malkowski said he "believe that public safety was never compromised, they have agreed to enter guilty pleas and to pay significant fines, because doing so is in the best interests of the company and its employees. Mr. Malkowski has also agreed to transition the business to new ownership and is in advanced talks with a potential buyer."

Homeowner Hospitalized After 2-Alarm Fire in Tolland


The owner of a home on Woodhenge Drive in Tolland was brought to St. Francis Hospital to be treated for smoke inhallation after a two-alarm fire this morning.

Fire officials said this was an appliance fire that started around 9:30 a.m. and the fire quickly damaged most of the second floor and roof. 

A neighbor said the homeowner rushed across to her house with his face covered in ash and yelled that his house was on fire.

“His face was so covered in ash I couldn’t recognize who he was,” said neighbor Sue Lobban.

From the sidewalk, they saw the house go up in flames.



No serious injuiries are reported.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Next Chance for Showers Comes Thursday


More clouds than sunshine will be the story through tomorrow, before a delightful end to the workweek.

A mix of sun and clouds is expected tomorrow as rain passes by to the south, though it should be dry here in Connecticut. Temperatures will be near 70.

Morning sun fades to clouds and an increasing chance for a shower on Thursday.

A large area of high pressure finally builds in late week, yielding abundant sunshine Friday.

Temperatures soar to near 70 Thursday, then upper 70s come Friday.

The weekend looks mainly dry, but a coastal storm will be too close for comfort.

Saturday will be mostly cloudy with rain possible at night. The clouds likely stick around Sunday, along with the chance for showers.

Temperatures will be in the near 70 Saturday, then upper 60s Sunday.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live