Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Ridgefield Man Killed in Bethel Crash


A 24-year-old Ridgefield man who was involved in a crash on Route 53 in Bethel on Tuesday has died, according to police. 

Police identified the driver as David M. Wood and said he was the only person in the car. 

Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash.

Yale Athletic Department Holds Huge Sale


The lines at Ingalls Rink at Yale are long for a huge sale on athletic apparel and equipment.

The Yale Athletic Department is cutting prices on 15 years of Nike items, including new items and game-worn jerseys from almost every team, in preparation for a partnership with Under Armour.

“We knew it was going to be busy, but  I didn’t honestly expect it to be as busy as it is,” Jeff Torre, of Yale’s athletics Department, said. 

The partnership with Under Armour starts on July 1 and Yale said all the old items must go. They are selling polos, equipment, shoes, cleats, gloves, bags, sweats, outerwear and more.

One of  the hot-ticket items is brand new wide receiver gloves. If you go to a sporting goods store, you'll spend  $55. Yale is selling them for $1, Torre said.

Game-worn hockey jerseys all went in the first hour. 

The yard sale is at Ingalls Rink, at 73 Sachem St. in New Haven until 6 p.m. and it is open to the public.

Staff from the athletic department said proceeds from the yard sale will help keep ticket prices down for fans and will also support Yale’s community outreach programs, including youth athletic clinics. 

For more information, call 203-432-1400 or email athletic.tickets@yale.edu.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

EgyptAir Plane Debris Found in Mediterranean: Military


A spokesman for Egypt's military confirmed Friday that search parties found debris from a missing EgyptAir passenger plane in the Mediterranean Sea, NBC News reported.

Egypt's Army spokesman Brig. Gen. Mohammed Samir said on his verified Facebook page Friday that his military's search jets and vessels discovered parts of the plane along with some passengers' belongings about 180 miles north of the city of Alexandria.

A body part and suitcases were recovered, according to Greek Defense Minister Panos Kammenos. Egypt's Ministry of Defense would not confirm or deny the information.

Aviation industry website AvHerald.com is reporting that the flight's data transmissions suggest a fire broke out in a bathroom near the cockpit. Investigtators are trying to determine what happened on the plane. 

Families of the 66 people on board have been waiting in anguish for news following 24 hours of conflicting information and speculation over what happened to the aircraft.

Friday's news comes after an earlier announcement from EgyptAir about finding debris was retracted. Samir told NBC News by phone Friday the military is certain the debris comes from Flight MS804.

Photo Credit: AP
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Hartford Stadium Authority to Discuss Possible Action Against Developer


The Hartford Stadium Authority is holding a special meeting this afternoon, just days after the developer missed the construction deadline for the new baseball stadium being built in downtown Hartford. 

The agenda for this afternoon’s meeting includes a report on the status of stadium construction, an executive session with legal counsel to discuss claims and remedies related to the developer’s failure to meet substantial completion by the agreed upon date of May 17, then a discussion and possible action connected to it. 

According to an agreement reached on Jan. 19, Centerplan owes the city of Hartford $50,000 for the first late day and $15,000 for each day thereafter. 

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said on Wednesday that it is "quite likely" that the city would seek those "liquidated damages." 

The budget for the ballpark was initially set at $56 million, but it is now closer to $63 million because of cost overruns and $5.5 million of it is the city's responsibility. 

The construction delays have forced the Yard Goats to play at another stadium and their home games have been at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, home of the Connecticut Tigers. 

On Wednesday, Hartford Stadium Authority Chairman I. Charles Mathews said that the team might not play in Hartford until July. 

The next day, a new Yard Goats schedule was released and it has the team playing in Norwich until the beginning of June. A three-game series against the Reading Fightin Phils in mid-June that was originally scheduled for home will now be an away series in Pennsylvania. 

Jason Rudnick, manager of DoNo Hartford LLC, a company developed by stadium developer Centerplan, said earlier this week that the stadium is 95 to 97 percent done and he sees baseball being played at the stadium this season.


The meeting will begin at 1 p.m. in the City Council chambers of Hartford City Hall.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Bus Drivers and DATTCO Head Back to Contract Negotiations


Negotiations are underway in East Hartford today between the school bus company, DATTCO, and the union representing bus drivers, Local CSEA/SEIU 2001. 

The two parties have been negotiating a contract for drivers since August. A tentative agreement was reached, but the drivers were not happy with the terms and decided to strike for one day on Tuesday. 

“To the parents of Hartford it was just transportation. To us, it is a way of life. It is how we feed our children, it is how we pay our bills, so it was not something we decided lightly,” Malika Chambers, the shop steward said at the DATTCO bus yard in Hartford. 

Chambers, a school bus driver for 14 years, said one of the big issues with the tentative agreement was the number of hours allotted per week. Drivers want an increase from 20 to 25 hours per week. 

“We do not get paid a regular 52 work week. We do not get paid on snow days. We have to live off of what we make during the school year. So to survive, we need some guarantees,” Chambers said. 

Drivers said they are not planning another strike and they are hoping that Tuesday’s strike showed DATTCO that they are capable of coming together as a unit and they hope DATTCO representatives take them seriously. 

DATTCO Chief Operating Officer Cliff Gibson did not have a comment on Friday morning. 

In a previous statement released on Tuesday, he said: 

“The actions of Local CSEA/SEIU 2001 in calling a one day work stoppage today in Hartford were unfortunate and regrettable. Despite months of bargaining and the reaching of a tentative agreement, union leadership sought to place their own needs above those of our employees, the children and parents of the Hartford Public Schools, and the City of Hartford as a whole. DATTCO has continued to come to the table, offering increases in the existing labor agreement, including wages well above industry average. In an environment where many are receiving cuts, or even job loss, the type of stance taken by union leadership seems untimely and uncaring to those who most need their employment. DATTCO will continue to bargain in good faith, and has solicited the help of the Federal Mediator in this regard. We look forward to reaching an agreement when the next bargaining session is held. “ 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Smoke from Canadian Wildfires Obscuring Sun


Notice the sky appears gray instead of blue?

On a day when First Alert forecasters aren't calling for any clouds, smoke has put a filter on the sunshine.

Wildfires have been burning for weeks in Canada, and the wind trajectory of late has been from the northeast – an ideal track to bring the smoke over Connecticut.


According to Canada's government agency that tracks wildfires, nine fires are 2,471 acres or greater in size in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario.

The smoke is thousands of feet up in the atmosphere, so the risk of health impacts is very low.

Connecticut's Department of Energy and Enviornmental Protection issues daily air quality forecasts for different locations around the state.

The maximum forecast value for particulate matter today is 33 in Bridgeport, which is considered to be in the good range. 50 or higher would be moderate.

While the smoke should move out of the area later today, it may provide for a beautiful sunset.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

City of Hartford Demands Payment for Baseball Stadium Delays


The City of Hartford's Corporation Counsel sent DoNo Hartford LLC, developers of the new baseball stadium in Hartford, a letter on Thursday night regarding not collecting late fees for the stadium not being substantially complete by May 17.

The letter Howard Rifkin, with the City of Hartford, sent to representatives of Centerplan And DoNo Hartford, demands payment of the $50,000 payment for the first late day and $15,000 for each subsequent. The letter provides the account number to deliver payments.

Read the letter here.

The amounts were laid out in the January agreement between the developer and the city.

That deal was struck when it was made public that Centerplan and DoNo Hartford LLC had fallen behind and would not meet the March 17 substantial completion deadline. The date of May 17 was selected, and the stadium was not substantially complete at that time.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Body Found Near Boat Launch in Windsor


Police are investigating after a man’s body was found on a sandbar on the Connecticut River in Windsor on Friday morning, but said they do not suspect foul play.

Windsor police responded to the area of the Bissell Bridge Boat Launch at 8:10 a.m. and Windsor Police along with the Windsor Fire Department responded and launched a boat in the Connecticut River from East Barber Street and found the body.

Hartford Police Department Dive team was called and helped remove the body from the river.

The office of the chief medical examiner is investigating and police said they are working with Massachusetts authorities to identify the victim and the manner and cause of death.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

High School Draws Criticism for Not Letting Uniformed Marine Walk at Graduation


A suburban Chicago school district is under fire after school officials refused to let a high school student walk at graduation because she was wearing a military uniform instead of a cap and gown.

According to students, McHenry High School West Campus did not let Megan Howerton, a U.S. Marine, walk during the school’s graduation ceremony Thursday night, citing a dress code issue because she was wearing her dress blues. 

News of the decision was posted to social media, where it stirred controversy among many and sparked the hashtag #Letmeganwalk.

McHenry Community High School District 156 addressed the criticism in a statement Friday, saying "the attention related to last night’s graduation ceremony at McHenry High School West Campus is unfortunate and draws attention away from the collective achievements of the Class of 2016."

"The district and administration in no way looked to prevent the participation of this graduate or any graduate who has chosen to serve our nation,” the statement read. "Rather, the administration communicated in advance via letter, senior meeting, and practice, all the protocols expected of graduates, including attire. In some past cases, active-duty students elected to wear their gowns over top of their military uniforms, with their military hats, which was allowed. There was no communication to the administration that attire protocols would not be followed prior to the ceremony. The tradition of cap and gown regalia is aimed at the idea that our graduates are celebrated as a whole and in similar attire.”

Many have since noted that it is against protocol to cover up the uniform, however.

According to the U.S. Marine Corps Uniform Board, wearing a cap and gown over a uniform is not allowed as it is considered similar to outerwear.

Sgt. Trevon Peracca also confirmed Howerton is a Marine, saying she graduated early from the school and completed boot camp.

"McHenry Community High School has a long standing history of avid support for our military branches of service," the school said in a statement. "This includes individual recognition of enlistees at the graduation ceremony itself, including enlistees in the presentation of the colors, and special recognition to all veterans in the audience. In addition, the cooperation with recruiters year-round, a day-long, Veteran’s Day program in our schools each year, and a variety of community service partnerships with local veteran’s groups are priorities of the district."

Howerton could not immediately be reached for comment.

Photo Credit: U.S. Marine Corps
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Police Investigating Bodies Found in New Haven Apartment, Cemetery


Police are investigating the homicide of a woman after relatives found her body in a New Haven apartment on Thursday evening.

Police said they responded to 7 Daisy St. at 5:33 p.m. and found Kwasiada Robinson, 22, of New Haven. 

Police have obtained a search warrant for her home. 

Police said there are no obvious signs to indicate a homicide and an autopsy was done this morning, but the results have not been released.

A body found at the St. Bernard Cemetery around noon was identified as someone having a relationship with Robinson and police are investigating the deaths together. Police said the person appears to have committed suicide. 

Officials from New Haven Schools said Robinson graduated from Riverside Academy in 2013.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Man Shot Near White House


A man approached a White House security checkpoint with a gun Friday afternoon and was shot by a Secret Service agent when he refused to put down the weapon, authorities said. 

The White House was locked down for about an hour. Everyone under the protection of the Secret Service is safe, the agency said. 

The shooting occurred within view of sightseers outside the White House, near sidewalks crowded with families, school groups and government workers.

The man with the gun approached a Secret Service guard post at 17th and E streets NW, just west of the White House compound, about 3 p.m., a Secret Service spokesman said. 

The man refused to put down the gun and was shot by a Secret Service agent.

"Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers gave numerous verbal commands for the subject to stop and drop the firearm," the agency said in a statement. "When the subject failed to comply with the verbal commands, he was shot once by a Secret Service agent and taken into custody."

The man is in critical condition and was rushed to George Washington University Hospital, a D.C. Fire and EMS representative said. Officials did not identify him. The gun he held was recovered at the scene.

The suspect is believed to have wanted to commit "suicide by cop" and be killed by an officer, law enforcement sources told NBC News. Sources say he is believed to be from Ashland, Pennsylvania.

Witness Larry Samples told News4 he saw a man with a silver gun walk toward the White House. Secret Service agents repeatedly ordered him to stop and drop the weapon, but he ignored them, Samples said. A Secret Service agent then shot the man.

"They gave him multiple chances to stop his advance," Samples said.  

Witness Taylor Cates said she saw a man with a blank expression walk with a gun in plain sight and then get shot.

Witness Odis Bellinger, who was visiting the White House from Detroit, said he was near a security checkpoint when he heard three shots and was told to run.

“I’m from Detroit and we don’t even see that there," Bellinger said.

Lamman Rucker, a D.C. native and actor who appeared in the movie "Why Did I Get Married?" was lined up to enter the White House when he heard shots.

"Literally out of nowhere, you’ve got different officers and different agencies that just ascended upon that entry point with the quickest of speed," he said.

Nearby, on Constitution Avenue NW, D.C. police searched a white sedan with a Pennsylvania license plate. Police are determining whether the car is a threat.

President Barack Obama departed the White House about 1 p.m. for a golf outing at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, according to White House pool reports. His motorcade arrived there about 1:30 p.m.

Vice President Joe Biden was inside the building, according to multiple reports.

First lady Michelle Obama was wrapping up a speech in downtown Washington at midday Friday. Her office would not say whether she, or the Obama daughters, were at the White House at the time.

Reporters in the White House said on Twitter they were ordered to shelter in place in the basement of the building.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said District officials are coordinating with federal officials.

On March 28, the U.S. Capitol was locked down after a Capitol police officer shot and injured a man who police say brought a BB gun into the building's visitor center. Witnesses described a chaotic scene near the Capitol as tourists and others in the area ran to seek shelter. The suspect was critically injured, and police charged him with assault with a deadly weapon and assault on a police officer while armed. 

Stay with News4 and NBC Washington for more details on this developing story.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington

Dead Black Bear Found in Roxbury


Connecticut DEEP needs help identifying the person responsible for killing a black bear in Roxbury.

On Wednesday, officials received a number of complaints of a dead black bear on the Roxbury Land Trust Property adjacent to Upper County Road around 8 a.m.

DEEP officers are investigating the incident and performed a necropsy to determine the cause and nature of the animal's death. 

The agency is looking for the public's help to identify the suspects. Anyone with information is asked to call (860) 424-3333.

Photo Credit: Paul N. DeMeo

Video Shows Man in Deadly Struggle With Ga. Deputies


Authorities in Georgia have released body camera footage showing the last moments of an apparently out-of-control Florida man who deputies repeatedly stunned with a Taser while struggling to subdue him.

The confrontation ended with 32-year-old Chase Sherman dead by the side of a highway; logs indicate he was stunned 15 times. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the incident. 

Sherman's parents, Kevin and Mary Ann Sherman, told NBC News they intend to file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Coweta County District Attorney Peter Skandalakis said "the review of this case in not complete" and that the footage was released "in recognition of the great public interest in this matter."

The deputies who had repeatedly ordered Sherman to stop fighting them during the Nov. 20 encounter also appeared stunned, according to video footage.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Minivan Flees After Hitting Pedestrian in Hartford


A minivan fled the scene after hitting a pedestrian in Hartford on Friday, according to state police.

Police are looking for the blue minivan that hit a man on Buckingham Street and Main Street Friday afternoon.

There were no other details immediately available. 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Cuban Rafters Cling to Lighthouse


A group of Cuban rafters who climbed atop the American Shoal Lighthouse near Key West Friday have come down, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.

A group of 19 rafters climbed on the lighthouse about eight miles from shore near Saddlebunch Key around 9 a.m., officials said. A good Samaritan had spotted the group and alerted authorities.

Another two rafters stayed in the group's vessel.

The group spent several hours on the lighthouse while Coast Guard officials negotiating with them to come down. They finally came down from the lighthouse shortly after 5 p.m.

The Coast Guard said the group is safe on the cutter, where they received medical attention and food, but they will not be released to family members.

Officials said the lighthouse is not considered U.S. territory and is not included in the "wet-foot, dry-foot" policy, which allows Cuban migrants who reach dry American land to stay in the country.

Agents with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and Customs and Border Protection were assisting. 

The historic iron structure, completed in 1880 and still in use, is 109 feet high and is a popular dive site.

Photo Credit: NBC6.com

Police Searching for Fairfield Bank Robbery Suspect


Police are searching for the suspect involved in a bank robbery in Fairfield on Friday. 

At 9:20 a.m., the suspect walked into Webster Bank on 1177 Post Road and handed the teller a note, police said.

The suspect did not show a weapon. After getting the money, the suspect left in a newer model maroon car that was seen on the surveillance videos. 

Police said the suspect may have a tattoo on the left side of his neck.

Anyone with information is asked to call (203) 254-4840

Photo Credit: Fairfield Police

Oakville Man Arrested for Multiple Thefts, Forgeries: Police


A Oakville man is accused of multiple thefts and forgeries, Thomaston Police said. 

Justin Kontout, 34, was arrested on Thursday after police accused him of a series of theft and forgeries in late March and early April of this year. 

Kontout is charged with five counts of sixth-degree larceny and five counts of third degree forgery.

He was held on a $500 bond and is expected to appear in court on Friday. 

Photo Credit: Thomaston Police

Motorcycle Crashes on Route 72 in Plainville


A motorcycle crashed on Route 72 in Plainville on Friday. 

Two lanes were shut down at the I-84/Route 72 merge at exit 3. The lanes have been cleared.

Police said the driver sustained serious injuries but did not elaborate. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Hartford Mayor Vetoes Council Cuts That Threatened Library


Hartford's mayor vetoed cuts on Friday made by the city council for the city's public library-- a measure that could have shut down three different locations. 

"I want to thank all of the members of the Hartford City Council for their hard work on this budget," Mayor Luke Bronin said. "The City of Hartford faces huge fiscal challenges, but this budget demonstrates that we are willing to make the difficult choices needed to get our fiscal house in order."

City Council members voted Wednesday to add $393,000 to the already $600,000 reduction for funding.

"We've already eliminated 10 positions. That included 10 layoffs. That already happened. This could target 15 additional positions," said the library’s Chief Executive Officer Bridget Quinn-Carey.

City officials said the potential closing locations included one on Blue Hills Ave, Campfield Ave and the one inside the Hartford Public High School on Forest Street called the Mark Twain Branch.

Bronin also vetoed a $1,000,000 reduction to the city's police department. The reduction was meant to cease the city's contribution for crossing guards and Bronin said the Board of Education would endure the cost. For now, the city will pay for crossing guards and Bronin said it will be reimbursed later by BOE.

In addition to cuts, Bronin vetoed or reduced expenditures for Hartford Arts and Heritage Job Grants, Special Events and Hartford Pro-Am.

On Monday, the proposed budget will go before the city council, who will either adopt the proposal or continue making changes on it. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Woman Killed in Hit-and-Run in New Haven


A 29-year-old mother is dead after a hit-and-run late Thursday night in New Haven and police are looking for a dark colored minivan that is missing a wheel well.

Police and firefighter-EMTs responded to the area of Kossuth and Ann streets at 11:30 p.m. on Thursday after 911 calls came in reporting that a woman had been struck after stumbling into the path of a vehicle, police said.

An ambulance rushed the victim, Keyonia C. Jenkins, 29, of New Haven, to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where she died.

Police are now trying to determine if she was in the street before she was hit.

Late Friday morning, a single candle marked the spot where Jenkins died.

She was the mother of a 9-year-old boy, her cousin, Keshia Norfleet, said.

As they deal with loss, Jenkins’ family said they cannot make sense of what happened.

“If it was an accident, why you didn’t stay and call and try to help her? You ran her over,” she said. “Whoever did this, he needs to turn himself in. It’s ridiculous, killing a loving girl. Sweetheart. “

A news release from police said witnesses reported that the driver was behind the wheel of a burgundy minivan that fled to Congress Avenue. It’s not clear where the driver went after that.

Later, police said they are looking for an older model dark colored minivan with tinted windows. There is probably not much damage to the vehicle, but it is missing a wheel well, according to police.

Crash team officers and detectives are investigating the fatal hit-and-run and Jenkins’ family is asking anyone with information to come forward.

“How could anybody do that to a girl like her?//10:51 Its too much. I don’t even know no more,” Norfleet said.

Police said they do not have a description of the driver and they are looking at evidence from the scene.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live