NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Violence at Trump Rally in San Jose


Police were working to clear hundreds of protesters who gathered outside Donald Trump's rally in San Jose late Thursday.

Several supporters of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee were seen chased and taunted by protesters outside the San Jose Convention Center. Protesters also surrounded a woman and threw eggs and bottles at her.

"It was unbelievable," said Steve Tong, a Cupertino resident who attended the Trump rally.

Tong said after the rally, he was walking toward a nearby parking structure and saw protesters surrounding and taunting an elderly couple.

"I've never seen anything like that in America before," Tong said.

Tong also said he saw protesters smash car windows inside the parking structure.

The San Jose Police Department said there were a few arrests made, but it did not provide specific numbers or information on those arrests. There was no significant property damage reported. One officer was assaulted, police said.

Adam Rivas, a 22-year-old community college student who was born and raised in San Jose, was holding a spray-painted sign that read "Dump Trump.''

Rivas said he was particularly disturbed by Trump's remarks about Mexicans.

"For any one Mexican here he bashes, there are about 20 Mexicans out there who are hardworking and just doing their job,'' he said.

It's not only supporters attending the inside of the rally. Mike Kennedy, who works in development and lives in nearby Los Gatos said as he walked in that he "came to see the spectacle, and see Trump's minions.''

Trump's appearance in Sacramento Wednesday night drew a very small group of protesters that was dwarfed by thousands of supporters. But California campaign rallies last week saw some clashes between protesters, supporters and police that led to several arrests.

During the rally at South Hall, an annex of the San Jose Convention Center, Trump addressed about 5,000 supporters in attendance.

Trump discussed Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. He called Clinton "pathetic" and accused Sanders of "rigging the system."

The Republican presidential candidate also continued his stance on toughening immigration laws.

"We're going to bring people into this county, but we're going to bring them in legally," Trump said.

Thursday was Trump's latest Bay Area stop to woo voters with his trademark "Make America Great Again" rally.

Thursday's rally is slightly over a month since Trump was forced to skirt a highway wall on U.S. 101 and hop down onto a grassy embankment to avoid an angry mob who was protesting his appearance at the California GOP convention in Burlingame.

Due to security concerns, a handful of roads surrounding the convention center have been closed down, which already created a midday backup in downtown San Jose.

His appearance, like the last time around on April 29, prompted a heavy police presence, and sources say the San Jose Police Department asked officers to volunteer to work overtime for Thursday's rally.

According to his calendar, Trump has no scheduled stops in Oakland, a city he declared to a New York Times Magazine reporter was among the “most dangerous” in the world.

In fact, Trump's speech was held at the same time as Game 1 of the NBA Finals where the Golden State Warriors played the Cleveland Cavaliers at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

Trump joked at the rally that he wanted to attend the game.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Son Kills Parents in Las Vegas


Three members of a prominent suburban Chicago family are dead after a double murder-suicide at their vacation home in Las Vegas, according to police.

Art Wulf, 69, and Jan Morgan-Wulf, 66, both of Northbrook, were found dead at their vacation home with multiple gunshot and stab wounds on Wednesday morning, authorities confirmed. Their 36-year-old son Aaron Wulf killed the two and was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Art was a semi-retired attorney who also previously served on the District 225 School Board. Jan was a former Chicago Public Schools speech language pathologist who also previously worked as a real estate agent.

The couple had three other adult children. Aaron was a self-described photo-journalist and an aspiring actor, whose IMDb acting credits list two small parts on "Monk" and "Girlfriends," both from 2004.

The Las Vegas Police Department confirmed the authenticity of a 585-page manifesto and video that Aaron left before shooting and stabbing his parents, then killing himself.

Titled "The Worst Nightmare in History,” the manifesto blames his parents for a lifetime of physical and psychological abuse starting at the age of five. He also claimed that he was sexually abused by a teacher in Chicago, and that his father did nothing.

"And in the cruelest of outcomes, when I told you my teacher, who molested me in high school for several years, you did nothing to help me as well. You didn't care!" the manifesto reads. 

"This is a case of an extremely deranged individual that was not in touch with reality to some degree, and wanted to commit this heinous grisly crime,” said Sgt. Jeff Clark of the Las Vegas Police Department.

But the reaction to this heinous crime in their quiet Northbrook neighborhood was one of disbelief.

“I can't believe this would happen. I’m so sorry for the family, I can't imagine what they’re going through,” said neighbor and family friend David Carroll. “They were private family, seemed like a nice couple. Their kids were great, especially the sons. We enjoyed having them next to us.”

“I'm completely devastated and very, very upset,” added friend and neighbor Bonnie Miller.

Photo Credit: Jan Morgan-Wulf/Facebook

Teacher Tied to Dumped Into Pond


A 24-year-old pre-kindergarten teacher's lifeless body was tied to a cinder block and dropped into a Chester County, Pennsylvania pond over the Memorial Day holiday, county prosecutors said Thursday.

Ryan Stevyn Benjamin's body was discovered in the pond, part of Pigeon Creek, at 488 Porters Mill Road in Pottstown on May 30. District Attorney Tom Hogan released her identity Thursday afternoon after she was named by loved ones who recognized her physical features, a tattoo and jewelry, he said. DNA and dental records also matched, the county coroner said.

A native of Rochester, New York, Benjamin taught pre-school at Warwick Childcare in Pottstown and was a certified teacher. She is a graduate of Juniata College in central Pennsylvania.

Family friend Cheryl Cutillo said Benjamin was an animal lover who came to the area after getting a job at the Malvern School last summer. The young woman was living with Cutillo until she found her own place.

"She had a boyfriend, but they had broken up, but they were in the same circle of friends. I mean it was a bunch of friends," Cutillo said.

A father and son-in-law spotted Benjamin's body in the pond -- popular for swimming and fishing -- just after 11 a.m. on Memorial Day.

It appears Benjamin was dead before being dumped in the water. Investigators did not find any signs of blunt force trauma, gunshots or strangulation. There was no water in her lungs.

Hogan has asked anyone who had contact with her over the Memorial Day weekend to contact police.

"The person who dumped Ryan's body in the water knows what they did and knows that the police are closing in," Hogan said in a statement. "Every moment that this person stays on the run makes it look worse. This individual should come in to authorities now."

Photo Credit: Chester County District Attorney's Office

Man Stabbed in Chest in Hartford: Police

World, Olympic Champions to Compete at XL Center


The road to Rio is making a stop in Hartford as dozens of gymnast prepare for two major championship events this weekend.

The XL Center Thursday was filled with male gymnasts competing the in the P&G Men's Gymnastics Championship.

On Friday, Hopes Championship will start at 12:30 p.m. for warm ups and the P&G Championships will begin at 5:10 for warm ups. 

P&G Championships is expected to start at 7 that night.

On Saturday, the Secret U.S. Classic will begin for juniors at 1 p.m. and seniors at 7 that evening. 

Along with athletes, Selection Committee Members were there to determine which athletes will head the U.S. Olympic Team Trials.

"Focus in, block everything out, deep breathes, and for a minute and twenty, give everything you got on each event," said world medalist Alex Naddour.

"It's a matter of maximizing our team score. The team finals, it's a five man team, with three men up on each apparatus. And all three scores count," said the national coordinator Kevin Mazeika.

Single-session tickets range from $13 to $65, plus applicable fees. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

New Haven Police Search for Answers in Unsolved Murder of Jericho Scott


Who killed Jericho Scott?

It is the question his family and the New Haven Police Department have wanted to answer for the last year. 

“It's especially difficult for me and my wife to go day to day without any answers as far as who is responsible for murdering my son,” Jericho’s father Leroy Scott said.

The deadly drive-by shooting just after midnight on Sunday April 19, 2015 remains actively under investigation by the New Haven Police Department Homicide Detectives. Police said 16-year-old Jericho was struck in the passenger seat of a parked car near his home on Exchange Street in the Fair Haven neighborhood.

“This case has presented a host of different plausible motives,” Detective Bertram Ettienne said in an exclusive interview with NBC Connecticut.

Family and friends of Jericho dressed in orange Thursday evening and had a balloon release by his memorial for National Gun Violence Awareness Day.

Several years before his murder, 9-year-old Jericho made national headlines when other little league baseball teams complained the outstanding athlete pitched too fast.

“We had t-shirts that we made saying, 'Justice for Jericho',” Scott said, showing a collage of old baseball photos. “How ironic seven years later, we’re still screaming 'Justice for Jericho'.”

Both Scott and Ettienne are urging anyone who knows something about the deadly shooting, to finally come forward and say something.

“At this point it is believed that the suspect or suspects did flee the area in a car,” Ettienne said.

A dark colored, possible four door sedan is the best description Ettienne can give of the vehicle of interest. Some nearby surveillance video has been helpful, he said, but 14 months later, there are still no definitive suspects.

“A lot of people knew him and I believe that there’s people out there that knew exactly why this occurred and we need the help from the community,” Ettienne said.

For Scott, the pain of losing a child only hurts more knowing the killer is still out there.

“It’s become a tedious process because a lot of people the community have answers,” he said. “They are not cooperating as far as help put these pieces of the puzzle together.”

The family tells NBC Connecticut Wilbur Cross High School will graduate Jericho with the rest of his class later this month.

Anyone with information to help police solve this murder should call (203)589-6003. Tips can be made anonymously.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Oxygen Tanks Spark Mobile Home Fire in Groton


Multiple departments are responding to a mobile home fire and some explosions in Groton, Poquonnock Bridge Fire confirms.

Crews responded to the fire on North Road around 8:20 p.m.

Fire officials on the scene said when they arrived, there was heavy fire and multiple explosions.

The explosions were caused by oxygen tanks stored in the home for medical purposes, officials said. 

The one resident living in the home got out unharmed but his two pets died, officials said. The man is staying with his family.

Ledyard Police said they assisted Groton Police by closing Route 117 at Gales Ferry Road. 

The fire is under investigation by Groton Police and the Center Groton fire marshal. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Man Fatally Stabbed Pregnant Wife, Lit Home on Fire: Police


The husband of a pregnant woman who was found unresponsive in a burning Norwich home on Franklin Street told police he killed his wife, police said on Thursday. 

The grim discovery of an unresponsive 8-months-pregnant Margarette Mady, 37, prompted a criminal investigation by Norwich Police, officials confirmed. Norwich fire officials said it "appears" like the fire was set intentionally. 

Patrick Antoine, 39, turned himself into police on Thursday morning following the fire and told officers he had stabbed his wife to death and then set their apartment ablaze, Norwich Police said. 

Mady was found in the burning home was unconscious, according to Fire Chief Ken Scandariato, who said no one else was in the house when they arrived.

The fire was in a bedroom and extended to the second floor, he said, and firefighters put out the blaze in around 25 minutes. 

Antoine is accused of murder and first-degree arson. His bond was set at $1,000,000. 

Photo Credit: Norwich Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Firefighters to the Rescue for Dog’s 'Ruff' Morning


Firefighters come to the rescue on a daily basis, but the rescue of a dog in Middletown was out of the ordinary.

Firefighters responded to Hendley Street around 7:30 a.m. Friday after a resident spotted a Great Dane on a neighbor’s roof.

Firefighters said the dog’s owners were at work, so firefighter Mike Souza climbed a ladder to rescue the dog.

At first, the pup growled, but it soon warmed up to Souza, who guided the dog back through the open window.

“He had to really scooch to get back in because he was really tall,” Souza said. “I think he was happy to be back inside!”

Souza, who has been on the job for 28 years, said this was a first for him.

“A really unique situation, a unique call,” he said.

A woman who identified herself as the dog's owner responded to the Facebook post said the dog was in the basement with her other Great Dane and he is a "Houdini" who apparently pushed his way through a locked door and opened windows to get outside and "say hello to all the new neighbors."

Photo Credit: Middletown Fire Department

Clif Bars Recalled Over Possible Listeria in Sunflower Seeds


Three Clif Bar products are being pulled from store shelves as part of a larger recall of sunflower seeds that could be contaminated with listeria.

Clif Bar & Company is voluntarily recalling Clif Bar Nuts & Seeds energy bars, Clif Bar Sierra Trail Mix energy bars and Clif Mojo Mountain Mix trail bars, which contain sunflower seeds produced by Minnesota-based supplier SunOpta.

SunOpta announced its recall in May after a spot check indicated some of its sunflower seeds could be contaminated with listeria.

The latest extension of the recall applies to the following Clif Bar products:


  • Clif Bar Nuts & Seeds energy bars with best-by dates from June 8, 2016 through Jan. 21, 2017
  • Clif Bar Sierra Trail Mix energy bars with best-by dates ranging from June 5, 2016 through March 24, 2017
  • Clif Mojo Mountain Mix trail mix bars with best-by dates from June 16, 2016 through Feb. 2, 2017

No illnesses have been reported, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Customers can call 1-888-851-8456 with questions.

Photo Credit: Clif Bar & Company

Man Knocks Museum Clock to Ground, Breaking It


One man visiting the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, Pennsylvania, just couldn't resist touching a sculpted, wooden clock hanging on a wall. After he touches it repeatedly, it crashes to the ground, breaking into several pieces.
The man and a woman accompanying him are seen trying to fix the shattered clock, before they walk away when they can't piece it back together.
The museum isn't pressing charges against the pair, but instead wants to educate visitors on why it's important to follow the rules. The museum director also says there are more problems with adults than children with touching objects.
The clock sculpture has hung in the museum for more than 20 years and won a national award in 1994. Artist James Borden has agreed to repair the piece.

Md. Mall Shooting Survivor Speaks


A man shot four times while trying to help a woman in the parking lot of a Maryland mall said the gunman smiled before shooting him and killing his friend.

Carl Unger was one of three people shot on May 6 at Westfield Montgomery Mall in Bethesda. Unger survived, but his friend Malcom Winffel did not.

Unger said he vividly remembers the gunman's expression.

"He looked dead at us and was smiling before he started shooting," Unger said.

Eulalio Tordil, a 62-year-old federal security officer from Adelphi, was indicted Thursday in the shooting.

Tordil is accused of killing another victim hours later outside a Giant grocery store and fatally shooting his estranged wife the day before at the school where she worked. Gladys Tordil, a chemistry teacher in Prince George's County, had obtained a protective order against her husband.

Police believe the shootings at the mall and grocery store were likely botched carjackings.

Unger said he was at the mall to have lunch with Winffel when the two heard a woman scream for help in the parking lot.

"She ran between us and then he just started shooting," Unger said. "I know he got me like four times."

Unger was shot in his foot, leg, back and shoulder, where one bullet remains.

"I thought I was dead. I thought, 'Well, it's over now,'" he recalled.

The woman was shot in the shoulder and survived. Winffel, 45, of Boyds, was killed.

After two weeks in a hospital, Unger is home recovering with the help of his family. He said it will take months for him to fully recover.

Tordil faces eight charges in Montgomery County: two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder, and four counts of using a hand gun in the commission of a crime of violence. He could serve life in prison if convicted.

Tordil, a federal security officer employed by the Federal Protective Service, was put on administrative duties in March after a protective order was issued against him when his wife said he had threatened to harm her if she left him. 

Police said they spoke with Tordil after his arrest and "would not describe him as being remorseful."

Photo Credit: NBC4

Footage From 100 Chicago PD Cases


In a nearly unprecedented move in Chicago, the agency responsible for investigating cases of police misconduct has released hundreds of videos, audio recordings and other evidence from more than 100 incidents in the city. 

The move is the latest in a citywide effort to restore public trust in the embattled police force following the fatal October 2014 shooting of black 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, whose death at the hands of a white police officer prompted outrage across the city. 

The Independent Police Review Authority made public Friday a website with evidence involving 101 cases dating back to 2008. Videos are listed in a searchable database on the site, which warns viewers of graphic content. 

Citing a new policy, the city aims to post evidence from open investigations on the site within 60 days of an incident.

“We all agree there is a lack of trust and increased transparency is necessary to restore that trust,” said IPRA Administrator Sharon Fairely, who was named to the role in the wake of the McDonald shooting uproar. “We are planning to be more transparent with our outcomes. Hopefully people will see how we reach our conclusions.”

The evidence posted online includes videos, audio and police reports, though not all cases are related to police shootings.

Among the videos are footage of incidents involving David Strong, Ishmael Jamison, Michael Cote, Zainul Hussein, Lisa Simmons and Jeremiah Smith, and Terrence Clarke. 

Strong was gunned down in 2012 as he and three others tried to escape from a robbery attempt on the city's West Side while Jamison was shot and tazed numerous times after allegedly attacking passengers and the driver of a CTA bus. Hussein was shot while police responded to what witnesses described as "a fight between men wielding baseball bats."

Cote, of Michigan, was shot in 2014 after being stopped in the city for allegedly smashing into parked cars. Police allege Cote accelerated toward officers before being shot. 

Simmons and Smith sued police for alleged brutality after dashcam video last year showed officers responding to a block party slamming Simmons onto a car hood and later punching Smith. The lawsuit has since been settled for $100,000.

Clarke was repeatedly punched at the Portillo's on Ontario by an off-duty officer working as a security guard. Clarke and his family were dining at the Portillo's following a 2015 Stanley Cup game when they were asked to leave as the restaurant was closing. A scuffle ensued and the officer can be seen punching Clarke repeatedly. The officer says he was provoked by Clarke when he threw a cup of cheese at him.

The city has struggled to regain the public’s trust amid an uptick in shootings this year and claims of racism and cover-ups in the department battling an image of secrecy. More than 60 people were shot over Memorial Day weekend in the city, topping the number of shootings seen over the holiday weekend last year.

"The release and availability of this evidence illustrates the challenges our officers face every day when they put their lives on the line to protect the city of Chicago," Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said in a statement. "I have often said that CPD is only as effective as the faith and trust the community has in it and I believe that this will go a long way in promoting transparency."

Since video footage showing McDonald’s shooting was released last year, the city has released police reports, emails between city officials on the case, and footage showing several other incidents of alleged police misconduct. The Department of Justice also launched a probe into the department and IPRA began a historic review of all closed officer-involved shootings in the city. 

Last month, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced plans to disband IPRA and instead create a new Community Oversight Board “comprised of Chicago city residents.” He also planned to create a new Public Safety Inspector General to audit and monitor policing in Chicago.

While the new policy surrounding misconduct investigations is similar to those in certain cities, such as Seattle, many other cities nationwide still take months, even years to release footage to the public.

"While I am pleased that Chicago is taking this important next step in our effort to be more transparent on these issues, we know there is a lot more work to do," Emanuel said in a statement. "This new policy is one piece of a much larger effort to restore trust and repair relationships between law enforcement and our communities."

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Purse, Dog Meds Stolen from Car at Talcott Mountain


Someone broke into a car at Talcott Mountain State Park in Simsbury late last month and stole the victim’s purse and medication for the person’s dog. Now State Environmental Conservation Police are asking for help to identify the people they said used the woman’s credit cards.

The car break-in happened around noon on May 25, according to EnCon police.

Someone smashed in the front window on the passenger side and stole the victim's purse, which was covered and out of sight, as well as medications the victim's dog needs.


Soon after, the victim's credit cards were used at a grocery store in Hartford and EnCon police released surveillance footage from when the credit cards were used.

Anyone with information about the thefts or has information that can assist in identifying the people in the photograph should call 860-424-3333 or 1-800-842-4357 and reference EnCon Police Case#16-11233.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Environmental Conservation Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Cashier and Accomplices Stole $11,000 in Polo Merchandise: Police


A cashier working with several people stole $11,000 in merchandise from the Polo outlet at Clinton Crossing, according to police, and authorities are trying to identify her accomplices.

Police called this an organized retail theft case and said the crimes happened between January and March.

The employee, working as a cashier, orchestrated the thefts with four to five people who posed as customers, police said.

To steal the items, the cashier would void large transactions, then place the merchandise from the voided transactions in the customers’ bags and allow them to leave, police said.

The employee has admitted to the scam but refused to name her accomplices, who might be from the New London area, according to police.

Anyone with information should call Officer Matakaetis or Sergeant Flynn at 860-669-0451 or email Gmatakaetis@clintonct.org or jflynn@clintonct.org.

Photo Credit: Clinton Police

Hartford Heroin Investigation Leads to East Hartford Hotel


Hartford police arrested a suspected heroin dealer and said the investigation led to a hotel in East Hartford where they found hundreds of bags of heroin.

Detectives from the vice and narcotics unit were investigating a suspected heroin dealer last month who lives on Barker Street.

On Wednesday, investigators determined that the suspect, Juan Rivera, 27, was at a hotel in East Hartford, where he was packaging large amounts of heroin, police said.

Authorities set up surveillance. As Rivera was getting into his car, police stopped him and found 470 bags of heroin on him, police said.

In Rivera’s East Hartford hotel room, police found 52 grams of raw heroin and packaging material.

During the search on Barker Street, police said they found 81 bags of heroin and packaging material.

Rivera was arrested on an outstanding warrant and various narcotic related charges and Hartford police said East Hartford detectives will be applying for a warrant.

Rivera was charged possession of narcotics, improper use of registration, possession with intent to sell narcotics and a warrant was served for possession of narcotics and sale of narcotics.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police

Warm, Dry Saturday, Rain Sunday


The weekend will start dry, before a complete flip as rain arrives Sunday.

Saturday is the pick of the weekend with a blend of sun and clouds and highs in the middle 80s inland, upper 70s along the shoreline.

Rain is likely Sunday into Sunday night, so temperatures will be lower, near 70. Thunder is possible and it will be a cool day.

Monday will be mostly sunny and breezy with highs near 80.

An isolated storm is possible Tuesday afternoon. Temperatures will once again be near 80 degrees.

Deadline Passes for Winning $1 Million Powerball Ticket


Someone who bought a Powerball ticket in Fairfield County in December would have won $1 million, but that person did not come forward in time.

The winning numbers for the Dec. 5, 2015 drawing were 13-27-33-47-68 and the Powerball was 13 and the winner had only 180 days to come forward.

The deadline for that ticket was on Thursday and, with no winner coming forward, the money will go back to the state.

“The money that wasn’t claimed will go back to the state’s general fund and we’re on pace to return record profits, and we’ll add that to the record profits this year,” Anne Noble, president and CEO of the Connecticut Lottery said.

This is not the only ticket that’s collecting dust instead of interest.

Lottery officials said there are still two unclaimed $1 million tickets that will expire in July from other previous Powerball drawings.

Instructions on how to claim a lotto prize can be found here.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Suspect in Threat That Closed Schools in Ansonia Arrested


Ansonia police have arrested a suspect in the Ansonia High School threat that prompted school officials to issue a lock-in at all Ansonia schools on May 23 and cancel classes on May 24.

Police have arrested GianCarlos Diaz, 19, of Ansonia, and charged him with first-degree threatening, second-degree threatening and second-degree breach of peace. Police said he is a senior at the high school.

Police said the threat was posted on the After School App and might have been directed at the Ansonia High School students.

In addition to the lock-in and a day of missed classes, police were stationed at all of the schools in Ansonia for the three days leading up to the Memorial Day Weekend.

On Friday, police obtained an arrest warrant and took Diaz into custody.

He was processed and released on a $5,000 non-surety bond and he is due in court on June 17.

Photo Credit: Ansonia Police

Man Shot at WH: 'I Came Here to Shoot People'


A gunman shot by a Secret Service agent outside the White House last month told an officer, "I came here to shoot people," according to charging documents filed Friday.

Jessie Olivieri, 31, of Ashland, Pennsylvania, was charged Friday with resisting or impeding certain officers or employees with a dangerous weapon, a federal offense carrying a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

Witnesses reported gunfire in the 1600 block of E Street NW about 3:05 p.m. May 20, according to the affidavit. One witness walking in the 1600 block of Constitution Avenue NW saw Olivieri sitting in a parked Toyota Camry, then heard a pop and turned to see Olivieri holding a silver handgun with a long barrel. Olivieri was him walk quickly through the grass toward the White House.

A short time later, Secret Service officers saw Olivieri, holding the gun openly, pass through the security gate near the White House's southwest grounds in the 1600 block of E Street NW and walk toward the security gate near E Street and South Place NW, the affidavit said. He refused repeated orders to stop and drop the weapon before a Secret Service agent shot him once.

Before he was taken to George Washington University Hospital, a Secret Service officer asked him why he went to the White House. "I came here to shoot people," he replied.

A loaded .22-caliber semiautomatic handgun was taken from Olivieri, the affidavit said. A spent .22-caliber shell casing was found near the Camry on Constitution Avenue, and more ammunition was found in the car.

The shooting occurred within view of tourists outside the White House, near sidewalks crowded with families, school groups and government workers.

The White House was on lockdown for about an hour after the incident. President Barack Obama was not at the White House at the time, but Vice President Joe Biden was inside the building, administration officials said.

Olivieri remains hospitalized.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live