Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Sterling Death Ruled a Homicide


When state police responded to a car crash in Bristol early Saturday morning, they found a man dead in the car and determined it was suspicious.

An autopsy has revealed that Marcus Brisbane, 40, of Wethersfield, was not killed in the crash. He died of a stab wound to the chest and his death has been ruled a homicide, according to the medical examiner.

State police were called to the scene of a motor vehicle crash on Plainfield Road east of Church St. just shortly before 2 a.m. on Saturday.

Upon arrival, officers located a motor vehicle that was involved a crash.

During the crash investigation, troopers and medical personnel determined that Brisbane's injuries did not coincide with the vehicle damage and learned that he sustained a chest injury unrelated to the crash.

Brisbane was pronounced dead at the scene.

The investigation led troopers to  a second crime scene, where a verbal dispute had taken place resulting in the injuries Brisbane sustained.

Troopers, along with detectives from the  Eastern District Major Crime unit are investigating and collecting forensic and physical evidence.

Anyone with information in this case is asked to contact State Police. All information will be kept in confidence

Photo Credit: Getty Images / Scott Olson

Fire Breaks Out at South Windsor Business


Flames tore through the roof of a business on McQuire Road in South Windsor and officials are trying to determine whether the lightning overnight led to the fire.

Firefighters had to cut a hole through the roof of Hartford Truck Equipment Storage Facility to get to the core of the blaze.

No injuries are reported.

The fire marshal will investigate the cause.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Chicago Priest, Novelist Greeley Passes Away


Best-selling novelist and Chicago Sun-Times columnist Rev. Andrew Greeley has passed away. He was 85.

Greeley, a prolific priest, sociologist and long-time NBC analyst, wrote more than 50 novels, including international mystery thrillers that were translated into 12 languages.

In a statement, his family said their lives "have been tremendously enriched by having the presence of Fr. Andrew Greeley in our family."

"He served the Church all those years with a prophetic voice and with unfailing dedication, and the Church he and our parents taught us to love is a better place because of him. Our hearts are heavy with grief, but we find hope in the promise of Heaven that our uncle spent his life proclaiming to us, his friends, his parishioners and his many fans. He resides now with the Lord of the Dance, and that dance will go on."

Greeley was known for his conviction. During the priest sex abuse crisis as early as 1991, he was one of the very few priests who criticized the church leadership for refusing to disclose priest accusations.

In 2010, Greeley released a study based on a poll of more than 500 Illinois Catholics that found their faith is still burning brightly with 78 percent of respondents saying Catholicism is either “extremely important” or “very important” in their lives.

While Greeley had an uneasy relationship with Cardinal John Cody and Joseph Bernardin, Cardinal Francis George reached out to him and they attended the opera together. Greeley lived in the John Hancock building but also had homes in Grand Beach Michigan and Arizona. His Saturday afternoon Mass in Grand Beach was often filled with sun bathers who came in their beach attire. 

Greeley was involved in an accident in November 2008 from which he never fully recovered. His jacket got caught in a cab door, and as the vehicle pulled away, the priest fell to the ground and hit his head, fracturing his skull. The fracture left him in critical condition.

A California couple in town for a wedding is credited with saving the priest, calling 911 and staying with him until paramedics arrived.

Before the incident, Greeley had lectured at the Religious Education Association conference in Rosemont and was described by the association executive secretary as "very generous and very funny."

Police Want to Get Stolen Power Equipment Back to Victims


West Haven police have located power equipment stolen from homes last year and they will hold a public viewing to try and get the items back to their rightful owners.

In June 2012, West Haven police started investigating the theft of power equipment from a multitude of victims in West Haven and the surrounding area.

Police said they have made an arrest and recovered a large quantity of outdoor power equipment. Now, they are trying to get it back to owners.

On June 24, 25, 26 and 27, police will hold public viewings of the seized items at the West Haven Police Department, located at 200 Saw Mill Road in West Haven, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

If your power equipment or tools were stolen, come to the viewing and bring along a list of stolen items and evidence of ownership.

Police will be available to assist in the identification process.

A notice from West Haven police said you have 180 days, from May 30, to file a claim concerning the property. It will be auctioned if not claimed.

Tiger Woods' Life and Times

Tiger Woods was all smiles as he walked up the fairway during the pro-am Memorial Day golf tournament in Dublin, Ohio. Woods, the world's No. 1-ranked player, will be trying to win his 15th career major championship and his first in five years when the U.S. Open heads to Merion Golf Club outside of Philadelphia. Click to see more of his life and times.

Windsor Man Dead After Altercation With Mass. State Police


A Windsor, Connecticut man is dead after an altercation with Massachusetts State Police near the Mass Turnpike.

Police said Donald Moskites, 47, of Windsor, attacked police just after 10 p.m. pm Wednesday, bit a trooper in the arm and officers subdued him with pepper spray.

During the altercation, Moskites went into apparent cardiac arrest.  Troopers performed CPR and called EMS, which transported him to St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Brighton, where he was pronounced dead, according to state police.

Police said Moskites had been walking on a ramp in the area of Interchange 19 on the eastbound side of the Massachusetts Turnpike in Brighton and a state trooper directed him to come down off of the ramp.

After Moskites walked down and to the maintenance area behind the interchange, two troopers approached to see if he needed help, police said.

Police said Moskites, who is a very large man, became violent, physically assaulted the troopers and bit one of them in forearm.

Troopers and Department of Transportation subdued Moskites, according to police, and the Windsor man later died in the hospital.

The two troopers who were assaulted were transported to St. Elizabeth's, where they were treated for injuries and released.

Massachusetts State Police are in contact with police in Windsor, who have had multiple past interactions with Moskites, police said.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy.

The office of Massachusetts District Attorney Daniel Conley will review the incident.

Police have not released the names of the troopers involved.

Police Make Arrests in Monte Carlo Cafe Drug Investigation


Wallingford police made arrests in connection with a drug investigation into Monte Carlo Café and other locations in town. In total, police made 13 arrests.

Police raided Monte Carlo Café, at 10 Judd Square in Wallingford, around 8 p.m. on Wednesday to investigate cocaine sales at the establishment and arrested Joshua Albee, a bartender at Monte Carlo,  and Daniel Sabatucci, according to Wallingford police. Sabatucci had 1/8 of an ounce of cocaine on him when he was arrested, police said.

Then, police searched Sabatucci’s home at 73 Masonic Ave. and found a small amount of cocaine, a scale and other drug-related paraphernalia, police said. 

As police were executed warrants at Monte Carlo, five arrest teams fanned out across Wallingford and other locations to locate and arrest individuals suspected of being connected to cocaine sales at the Monte Carlo Café and from other locations for other narcotics related charges. 

Police arrested 13 suspects on 16 arrest warrants.  

Kelly Hanson, 32, of Wallingford, was charged with three counts of illegal sale of narcotics and three counts of illegal possession of narcotics.  She was held in custody on a $100,000 court-set bond.

Justin Toczylowski, 28, of Wallingford, was charged on three separate arrest warrants for several drug-related charges. He was held in custody on $300,000 in court-set bonds.

Police said Toczylowski resisted arrested and was charged with interfering with a police office. Then, while in custody, he spat in the face of a Wallingford Firefighter/Paramedic and was charged with assault on a public safety officer and held on an additional $5,000 bond, police said. 

Christopher Tosney, 29, was charged on two separate arrest warrants and held $200,000 bond.
Joshua Albee, 30, of Wallingford, was charged on two separate arrest warrants and held on $200,000 bond.

Steven Nylund, 49, of Southington, was charged with doctor shopping and released on a $5,000 bond, police said.

Daniel Sabatucci, 42, of Wallingford, was charged with illegal sale of narcotics, illegal possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell and possession of narcotics.

David Muller, 53, of Uncasville, was charged with illegal sale of narcotics.

William Goldstein, 44, of Wallingford, Goldstein was charged with illegal sale of narcotics and illegal possession of narcotics. He was held in custody on a $200,000 court-set bond.

Stephen Fairchild, 59, of Wallingford, was charged with possession of narcotics, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of controlled substances and  possession of narcotics.  He was released on a written promise to appear in court.

Melissa Falconeri, 24, of Wallingford, was charged with illegal sale of narcotics, illegal possession of narcotics and conspiracy to sell narcotics.  She was held in custody on a $75,000 court-set bond.

Danielle Mercuri, 26, of Wallingford, was charged with possession of a controlled substance. She was released from custody on a $5,000 non-surety bond.

Jeffrey Besaw, 33, of Wallingford, was charged with sale of narcotics, possession of narcotics, sale of marijuana and possession of marijuana. He was held on a $35,000.00 court-set bond.

Suspect in Bridgeport Police Department Grenade Incident Arrested


Authorities have arrested the man suspected of delivering a hand grenade concealed in a coffee cup to the Bridgeport Police Department in February.

Morris Roberts, 42, was arrested at his Bridgeport home on Thursday on a federal criminal complaint, appeared before United Magistrate Judge William I. Garfinkel and has been detained.

The criminal complaint alleges that Roberts handed a paper coffee cup to someone outside of the Bridgeport City Hall on the morning of February 27 and asked the person to deliver the coffee cup to Bridgeport Police Department’s Office of Internal Affairs, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. 

The witness delivered the cup. The police officer assigned to OIA looked in the cup, saw a modified hand grenade and notified the Emergency Operations Center, police said.

Authorities responded to the scene, the building was evacuated and the grenade was safely removed, according to police.

Investigators determined that the grenade would not have detonated because it was poorly constructed, but that explosive black powder had been added to the grenade.

In March, police released a description of the vehicle the man was believed to be in.

Roberts has a prior arrest record, according to court records, and was charged with possession of an explosive by a previously convicted felon and with making a threat or conveying false information concerning an attempt to kill, injure or intimidate a person or unlawfully damage any building by means of an explosive.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, the Bridgeport Police Department and the Connecticut State Police are investigating.  

Photo Credit: Doug Greene, NBC Connecticut

Dog Owner Charged With Murder in Deadly Mauling


A dog owner arrested Thursday was charged with murder in an attack involving a frenzied pack of dogs that killed a 63-year-old woman who suffered more than 150 puncture wounds in the mauling.

Pamela Devitt was attacked on the morning of May 9 by dogs in on a Littlerock road in the southeastern Antelope Valley, northeast of Los Angeles.

Hours after the attack, authorities served a search warrant on a nearby home, confiscated eight dogs and arrested their owner on suspicion of growing marijuana. Six pit bulls and two mixed breed dogs — some with blood on their coats and muzzles — were taken from the home of Alex Jackson, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

DNA tests on the blood confirmed that it was that of the victim, which led investigators to the 29-year-old Jackson, who was charged Wednesday with murder. He was arrested Thursday at his home and bail was set at $1.5 million.

Arraignment is scheduled for Friday. If convicted, Jackson, pictured below, faces life in prison. A spokeswoman for the DA's office could not confirm the murder charge is the first involving a dog mauling, but said officials with the office could not recall a case within the last decade. 

Authorities have received at least three other reports of attacks involving Jackson's dogs since January, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office.

The attack occurred near the intersection of 115th Street East and Avenue S (map), a flat, desolate intersection in the community just east of Palmdale.

Investigators determined that Devitt suffered 150 to 200 puncture wounds in the attack before a passerby called 911 and a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy chased the dogs. The woman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The coroner's office determined that the cause of death was blood loss attributed to sharp force trauma.

Devitt's husband, Benjamin Devitt, said his wife began taking walks in the desert for fun and for her health. After he returned home from work on Thursday, sheriff's deputies knocked on his door and showed him an iPod, saying they were trying to identify its owners.

The device belonged to his wife.

When he was interviewed after the attack, Devitt told reporters he blames the owner -- not the dogs.

"You get caught up in somebody else's irresponsibility and these kinds of tragic, devastating things happen," he said.

Jackson also faces drug charges in connection with the discovery of the marijuana grow operation, according to the DA's office.

2-Year-Old Hit-and-Run Victim Released from Hospital


A 2-year-old boy injured in a hit-and-run in Bridgeport has been released from the hospital and police continue to search for the person who hit him. 

The crash on April 30 put Corey Gordon in the intensive care unit at Yale-New Haven Hospital. He has been discharged and a $1,500 reward is being offered to help in the investigation.

Corey's mother, Erica Parmlee, had just gotten Corey out of her car on the night of April 30, when he was hit and suffered a serious head injury.

Bridgeport Police want to emphasize they need anyone to call them with information. You can remain anonymous.

Parmlee said she is doing everything she can, or at least something she hopes any mother would do. 

A fundraiser is being held for the family Thursday night at Texas Roadhouse at 524 Saw Mill Road in West Haven.  Ten percent of the restaurant's profits will be donated to Corey's family.

Photo Credit: Family Photo

11 Hospitalized in Old Saybrook Factory Fire


Eleven people were sent to the hospital after fire broke out inside a factory in Old Saybrook Thursday evening.

Fire in machinery at Sound Manufacturing at 51 Donnelly Road emitted gases and chemicals, according to fire officials.   Seven firefighters and four employees were exposed to the chemicals and were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection responded to the scene as well.

The building was evacuated, according to a DEEP spokesperson.

Sound Manufacturing works in sheet metal fabrication and design, according to the company's website.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Temps Soar Into the 90s


Temperatures soared Thursday beginning what appears to be the start of a heat wave in Connecticut.

The mercury climbed to 91 degrees and Bradley Airport, and both Meriden and Hartford reached 92 on Thursday.

Schools across the state that don't have air conditioning did their best to keep students cool.

At Saint Martha School in Enfield, students were outside for a field day full of activities from sack races to bounce houses.

"The hands on type of activities keep their attention more than just sitting there and thinking about how hot they are," said Ann Sarpu, principal at Saint Martha.

For more than 200 students kindergarten through eighth grade, the heat was not a problem with water and a little shade.

"No matter what the heat is, I'd rather be out here than in there," said John Guzie, a seventh grader.

Friday is expected to be hotter, with a predicted high of 94 degrees in interior Connecticut, according to NBC Connecticut Chief Meteorologist Brad Field. Temperatures will likely reach 90 or above on Saturday and Sunday as well, Field said.

In order to have a heat wave, temperatures must reach 90 degrees on three consecutive days.

Cooler air will move in for Monday and storms are likely.

See the full forecast here.

Share your hot weather pictures by sending them to photos@nbcconnecticut.com.

Download the NBC Connecticut Weather App here.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Conn. Poised to OK Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants


After a heated debate that extended through the night, members of the Connecticut Senate approved legislation that would allow undocumented immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, register their vehicles and get insurance.

The state Senate passed the bill by a vote of 19 to 16 on Thursday morning and it will move to Gov. Dannel Malloy, who is expected to sign it.

“This bill is first and foremost about public safety.  It’s about knowing who is driving on our roads, and doing everything we can to make sure those drivers are safe and that they’re operating registered, insured vehicles." Malloy said in a statement.

The state Senate passed the legislation a week after the state House of Representatives passed the bill to allow licenses regardless of citizenship or immigration status.

The House had also passed the bill in the early hours of the morning with a 74-55 vote.

Supporters said the legislation would create millions of dollars in state revenue and make the roads safer.

“Allowing undocumented drivers to get a license ensures that they are just as accountable to the laws of our roads as everyone else. This bill allows people to carry out their lives while encouraging them to be safe and properly ensured while on the road.” Senator Terry Gerratana (D-New Britain) said in a statement.

Opponents said more research should have been done on the bill.

State Rep. Themis Klarides last week called the process the bill came through the state Legislature "irresponsible" and "disappointing."

“Without a study or any effort to thoroughly vet this concept, we can only speculate the impact this bill will have on homeland security, public safety, insurance policy holders and insurance companies. Perhaps even more troubling is that we have no plan to allocate the financial and staff resources needed for the DMV to manage the colossal influx of demand that will cripple their day-to-day operations,” she said in a statement.

“Connecticut would be the only state on the east coast to allow such a program, making the state a magnet for illegal immigrants who bring with them a host of increased costs to state government,” State Rep. David Scribner said in a statement.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr., an outspoken advocate for immigration reform, took on the issue seven years ago by offering undocumented immigrants resident identification cards and released a statement in support of the legislation.

"Like the municipal ID, granting immigrants driver licenses regardless of immigration status is good policy.  Drivers’ licenses will reduce the number of uninsured motorists on the road and will establish training and testing standards to ensure driver safety.  Moreover, like the Elm City ID, drivers’ licenses can help connect immigrants with banking services to help reduce street crime, increase the reporting of crime and help to create a sense of community identity,” DeStefano said in a statement.

More than 10,000 cards have been issued since the program's inception and the ID cards have gone a long way in strengthening relationships between residents and the city’s police department, DeStefano said in March.

"“It should also be noted that, like many issues, action on the federal level would address this problem in an even more comprehensive and sensible way.  I continue to support those broader efforts at national reform, and urge Congress to follow the example being set by Connecticut and other states,” Malloy said in a statement.


Photo Credit: Vernon Ogrodnek / Press of AC

City of New Haven Sets Fines for False Alarms


New Haven is cracking down on people and businesses whose security alarms go off for no reason.

When security systems malfunction at homes or local businesses, New Haven Police end up using a lot of resources to respond.

“Responding to false alarms is a big issue for the police department.  It eats up about the equivalent of eight officers per year,” said Rob Smuts, Chief Administrative Officer for New Haven.

With about 5,500 false alarms last year, it equates to more than $500,000 in response costs.  The City is looking to substantially decrease that number.  It will be enforcing its alarm ordinance by bringing in a company to administer fines for false alarms.  The first false alarm may be free, but the second will cost you $75, the third $150 and the fourth $250.

“This company Cry Wolf takes a portion of the fees to administer the program.  They'll actually do a much better job than we could reaching out and educating customers, and getting the word out about what you need to do to fix your alarm,” said Smuts.

The city will see about 70 percent of the money collected and says its goal is to have people make sure their alarms are in working order. 

However, not all residents think fines are the way to go.

Leroy Harris says the City should instead work with homeowners and businesses.

“They could warn them and give them time, because most people want their alarm to be up and running,” said Harris.

People also have to register their alarms or risk a $99 fine.  You can register online at https://www.crywolf.us/oss/newhavenct/

Time Running Out for Animal Shelter Dogs


A local animal shelter in Waterbury is almost at full capacity and the city is desperate to find the dogs at the pound a new home.

The shelter is getting dangerously close to capacity because of so many strays in recent weeks.

Shelter staff said there is only room for four more and the dogs are at risk of being euthanize if they are not adopted soon

“Once we get to the 40 mark, it makes it difficult,” said Joe Geary, Waterbury’s chief of staff.

If the number of dogs reaches the maximum of 40, and all of the cages are full, some of the dogs could be put down.

"As a last resort, it may be, but again, that would be an absolute last resort,” he said.

The public has not expressed much interest in the dogs, so the pound has posted urgent messages on Facebook in hopes of getting the dogs adopted.

“It breaks your heart and you want to do something to help,” said Susan Chapin, who considered fostering one of the animals.

The City of Waterbury was doing everything it could to save the dogs, including contacting shelters and animal rescues in other towns to see if there was space.

Deidre Cruce, of Spotty Dog Rescue, could only take one dog from the shelter on Thursday because she could not find enough foster families for the dogs left behind.

“We help them by buying them a little time,” Cruce said. “We do not have a kennel. We do not have anywhere to put them other than homes, so that’s why we are limited on the number we can take.” 

They city is asking for the public's help in giving the animals a good home.

If you are interested in adopting or fostering one of the dogs, call the City of Waterbury, or the shelter at (203) 574-6909.





Woman Abandoned as Newborn Meets Rescuer 62 Years Later


Abandoned as a newborn, a 62-year-old woman has returned to the Northern California city of Concord in search of her birth mother.

Kira Derhgawen was left in the passenger seat of a parked car, swaddled in a baby blanket with her umbilical cord still attached, on April 30, 1951.

Now, more than six decades later, she's come back to the Bay Area to meet the woman who found her and to search for her biological family.

"It would bring more joy probably to her (birth mother's) life and my life if we could be reunited," said Derhgawen. "I just want people's hearts to be touched and hopefully, my birth mother will come forward."

Derhgawen recently uncovered a letter her teenage mom sent to the owner of the car she was found in. In it, the young mom pledges to someday find her.

"I cut her picture out of the paper and carry it in my wallet. I cry when I think of her. I love her so much," reads the letter.

While Derhgawen hopes to find her birth mom, she's grateful to have re-connected with her rescuer.

Jan Hungerford, 84, was just a new mother herself when she discovered Kira in her neighbor's parked car.

"It was a very tiny baby. Very calm, very sweet... just like she is now," said Hungerford, who now lives in Auburn, Calif.

The two now share an undeniable bond. "Words don't describe it because this is a once in a lifetime happening. This doesn't happen to too many people," Hungerford said.

If you have any information about Derhgawen's birth family you can contact the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department.

Photo Credit: Jodi Hernandez

Worker Pleads in Disneyland Dry Ice Blasts


A Disneyland worker pleaded not guilty on Thursday to charges involving two dry-ice explosions that forced evacuations at Disneyland’s popular Toontown.

Christian Isaiah Barnes, 22, of Long Beach, Calif., faces one felony count of possession of a destructive device in a public place. He's set to appear in court on June 7.

Prosecutors accuse him of opening a vending cart, at which time the first water bottle containing dry ice exploded on Tuesday afternoon.

The defendant is accused of then taking the second water bottle from the cart and walking away toward the employee break room, prosecutors said.

While passing through Toontown, Barnes is accused of placing the second water bottle containing dry ice in a trash can before leaving the immediate area.

No one was injured in either explosion, but some park goers reported ringing in their ears. Disney officials closed down Toontown for about three hours while the rest of the park remained open.

The incident prompted a response by Anaheim police and an Orange County Sheriff’s Department bomb squad, prosecutors said.

Barnes was arrested at the scene, prosecutors said.

If convicted, Barnes faces up to six years in state prison, prosecutors said.

Slain Drug Cartel Lawyer Was U.S. Informant


The Mexican drug cartel attorney who was slain execution-style in Southlake last week had been a confidential informant for the U.S. government, law enforcement sources told NBC 5.

Juan Guerrero Chapa, 43, had worked for the Department of Homeland Security Investigations, secretly providing inside information on cartel operations to American investigators.

HSI is part of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Guerrero was gunned down at about 7 p.m. May 22 at the Southlake Town Square by a masked man who jumped out of the back seat of a white sport utility vehicle, police said. It was the first homicide in the upscale suburb since 1999.

The attorney had worked for top leaders of the Gulf Cartel, including former top boss Osiel Cardenas, who is now in prison in the United States.

It was unclear if his role as an informant may have leaked to the cartel, providing a motive for his killing. At least two U.S. trials of high-ranking Gulf Cartel members have concluded in recent weeks.

Guerrero, a Mexican citizen, his wife and three teenage children had been living in Southlake for two years, police said.

They had been living in the U.S. legally, according to ICE spokesman Carl Rusnok. High-level informants from Mexico or other countries are sometimes allowed to live in the United States as long as they are cooperating.

Rusnok had no comment when asked about Guerrero’s role as an informant. He referred questions to Southlake police.

Southlake police spokeswoman Kim Leach also declined comment.

Along with the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration, HSI investigates drug crimes.

With 6,700 special agents, HSI is the second-largest federal law enforcement agency. Only the FBI is bigger.

More Local Stories:

Photo Credit: NBC 5

James and Heat Take Game 5, 90-79


LeBron James has given the Miami Heat a number of performances for the ages in his three years with the team, and he delivered another for Miami against the Indiana Pacers in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

With his team struggling, James propelled the Heat to a furious finish, scoring 16 of his 30 points in the third quarter and leading the Heat to a 90-79 victory. Miami leads the series 3-2, and can earn a trip to face the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals with a win on Saturday.

"That's what I came here for, to be able to compete for a championship each and every year," James said. "I'm one step away from doing it once again. It's not promised. It's not promised at all. I made a tough decision. Obviously, I think we all know the story. I envisioned something that was bigger as far as a team ... and we've got an opportunity as a team, once again, for the third year straight to make a trip to the NBA Finals."

PHOTOS: Heat Top Pacers in Game 5

He added 8 rebounds and 6 assists, his 42nd career playoff game with at least 30 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists (only Michael Jordan has more).

Udonis Haslem scored 16 points, 10 in the third quarter, while Mario Chalmers scored 12 and Dwyane Wade added 10.

Roy Hibbert, Paul George, and David West scored 66 of Indiana's 79 points, while their teammates combined to shoot 5 for 20.

Heat Lose Game 4 to Pacers, 99-92

The first half was a plodding affair. Indiana led most of the way behind a combined 29 points from George and Hibbert. The Heat scored 9 points on 9 Pacers turnovers, missing multiple opportunities to score. The Heat scored just 5 fast break points, and only 18 points in the paint. Indiana led 44-40 at halftime.

A tussle between Chris "Birdman" Andersen and Tyler Hansbrough resulted in a flagrant-1 foul for Andersen. He knocked Hansbrough to the ground after a change in possession, and when Hansbrough stepped to him with some words, Andersen shoved him.

Hansbrough was assessed a technical foul for his role, but Andersen could find himself suspended for Game 6. The NBA will surely review the play on Friday, and Chicago Bulls center Nazr Mohammed was suspended for shoving LeBron James to the ground during the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

Andersen did make both of the shots he took in the game to continue his perfect shooting performance in the series.

Before Miami took the floor after halftime, James huddled his teammates up for a pep talk, then took them on his back. What did he say? Both Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem declined to tell reporters after the game. The Heat outscored Indiana 30-13 in the quarter.

Miami attacked the rim to start the quarter, and the first four possessions resulted in four moves in the paint and seven points. He scored or assisted on 25 of Miami’s points that quarter, hitting from every area of the floor.

"That's LeBron showing his greatness and making it look easy," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "What we talked about was doing whatever it takes and competing for each other without leaving anything out there. His engine in that third quarter was incredible. He was tireless, he was making plays on both ends of the court, rebounding, covering so much ground defensively and then making virtually every play for us offensively. It's really remarkable."

Udonis Haslem scored 10 of his 16 points in the third, on 5 of 5 shooting. The Heat led 70-57 after three, and their lead did not fall below eight in the fourth quarter.

"We had 24 minutes to play for our livelihoods," Haslem said. "And that's how we played in the second half." He said Juwan Howard had words for his teammates at halftime, warming them up for James' middle act before the real show got started. "A lot of bleeps and stuff like that," Haslem described Howard's speech, though he did say that James' echoed Howard's words.

Game 6 will be played at Indiana on Saturday night. Miami can earn its third straight trip to the Finals with a win. The Heat have won its past eight potential closeout playoff games.

"It's the playoffs," Wade said. "Shane Battier said this is when you feel alive, when your back's against the wall. ... You've got to go out there and play. This is what we prepared for all season."

Complete Miami Sports Coverage

Photo Credit: Getty Images

"Mayday, Mayday": Calls From Crashing Plane


"Mayday, mayday — engine out," said the pilot, in a controlled voice, to air controllers as his small plane struggled to stay aloft early Friday morning.

In audio files obtained by News4 Washington, the pilot who identified himself as "D.C. Photo" is heard describing his predicament to air traffic controllers, who clear other planes out of the way and try to get the Cessna 177B to Dulles International Airport.

They could not.

"Okay, I think we’re, um, we’re not going to make the airport," the pilot says. "We’re heading for a road just before the Dulles Toll Road."

The small plane crashed into the living room of a Herndon, Va., apartment Friday morning. Three people suffered minor injuries.

David Ventura was still in shock hours after he awoke to the plane inside his Dulles Greene apartment on Astoria Circle.

"You are shocked; you don't know what's going on," Ventura said.

Two people were aboard the aircraft when it began experiencing electrical problems while low on fuel around 12:30 a.m. and crashed into the home where four adults and two children were sleeping.

Ventura said all he heard was an explosion. He told News4 Washington's Megan McGrath when he opened his bedroom door, two people and a plane were in his living room. He recalled one of the men saying, "Is everyone OK here?"

Both people on the Cessna and one person in the apartment were injured, but all are expected to recover, said Captain Willie Bailey with Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.

One resident — a 33-year-old woman — and the pilot of the plane, William Larson, 61, of Vienna, were transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital. Larson's injuries were described as serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

His passenger, Tache Alejandro of Orlando, Fla., was treated at the scene.

The two work for the Vienna-based Aerial Photographers, LLC. The Cessna is registered to the company, according the FAA.

Larson and Alejandro had left from Northeast Philadelphia Airport and were taking infrared photographs from the air when their plane began experiencing electrical problems, according to Virginia State Police.

Because the plane was also running low on fuel, Larson contacted air traffic controllers and asked to land at Dulles International Airport instead of Manassas Regional Airport before they crashed.

"It could have been a whole lot worse," said Bailey. "It's a blessing that no one got killed or any major injuries."

The plane was removed from the building around 7 a.m. There is significant damage to the exterior of the building. Inspectors will be on scene to check the infrastructure.

Bailey said the plane's lack of fuel may have prevented a fire from starting.

"Good thing it didn't have any [fuel] when it crashed into the living room, because we'd probably have a totally different scenario right now," he said. 

The Red Cross is assisting nine adults, seven children and three dogs evacuated from the apartment building.

The NTSB and FAA are investigating the crash.

News4 has obtained the Cessna's records, which are clean and up to date. The plane was last inspected May 1.

Inset photos courtesy of Virginia State Police.

Vine video below via @MeganMcGrath4.



Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live