Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Enfield Police Seek Identity of Robbery Suspect


Enfield police are working to identify a person in connection with a robbery in town.

Anyone who recognizes the person pictured above is asked to contact police at (860) 763-8933.

Details of the incident were not immediately available.

Photo Credit: Enfield Police Department

Timeline Charts Series of NY, NJ Explosions


The interactive timeline above charts a series of events beginning with a pipe bomb explosion at a Marine 5k race in Seaside Park, New Jersey, Saturday. Hours later, a device exploded in or near a large bin on a packed block in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, injuring 29 people. Another device was found nearby.

Late Sunday, five devices were found in a trash can near a train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey. A robot trying to disarm the devices inadvertently detonated one, causing an explosion. No one was injured in the New Jersey cases. Authorities have identified 28-year-old Ahmad Rahami, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Afghanistan whose last known address is in Elizabeth, as a suspect.

Photo Credit: AP
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Hamden Police Seek Suspect in Knifepoint Robbery


Hamden police are investigating after a pizza delivery person was robbed at knifepoint early Saturday morning.

Police said around 1 a.m. they responded to the area of Fairview Avenue and Mott Street for a reported robbery. The victim reported the suspect held a pocket knife and stole an undisclosed amount of money.

The victim described the suspect as male, 5-foot-6 with a thin build, wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.

Anyone with information on this crime is asked to contact the Hamden Police Department Major Crimes Division at (203) 230-4040.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

More Security at Train Stations After NYC, New Jersey Blasts


Metro North and Amtrak have stepped up security following explosions in New York City and New Jersey and anyone traveling into those areas should expect some delays.

On Saturday, a blast in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood injured 29 people. Early Monday morning, a bag found near an Elizabeth, New Jersey train station exploded as a bomb squad robot was trying to disarm it. 

A police presence is expected to be more visible at local train stations today. Metro North said it’s beefing up security at its stations and coordinating with local law enforcement.

Amtrak said that multiple lines are being delayed or canceled because of the explosion in New Jersey yesterday. Service was suspended throughout the region when the incident occurred.

New York City has an extra 1,000 police and National Guardsmen patrolling its streets.

Alan Jenson said his office is just feet away from where Saturday’s blast in Chelsea occurred.

"I wonder how safe we really can feel. I think it will be in the back of every New Yorkers' head for the rest of the year, right? How safe am I in my daily routines?" he said.

A spokesperson for the Connecticut Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security says there is no credible threat to Connecticut, but state police remind residents to remain vigilant and report anything that seems out of the ordinary.

In a statement, Kelly Donnelly, a spokesperson for Governor Dannel Malloy, echoed that sentiment.

She went on to write, in part, “...Such incidents, or people who would cause harm, should never be allowed to disrupt our lives.”

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Mosquitoes in Wethersfield Test Positive for West Nile Virus


Mosquitoes in Wethersfield have tested positive for West Nile Virus, according to the Central Connecticut Health District.

Officials said the mosquitoes were trapped at a site on Goff Road as part of routine state testing.

So far this year, mosquitoes trapped in 18 towns have tested positive for West Nile. Those towns are Bridgeport, Cromwell, Darien, East Hartford, Easton, Fairfield, Hartford, Milford, New Haven, Newington, Stamford, Stratford, Waterford, West Hartford, West Haven, Westport, and now Wethersfield.

There has been one human case of West Nile Virus reported this year in a Milford resident in their 70s.

Residents can reduce the risk of contracting the virus by wearing insect repellent, avoid being outdoors between dawn and dusk, or wearing long sleeves or pants.

West Nile virus has been detected in the state every year since 1999. During 2015, it was detected in mosquitoes collected in 24 towns. Last year, 10 confirmed human cases of West Nile were reported for residents in Bridgeport, Fairfield, Milford, New Haven and Shelton.

More on mosquitoes and protecting against them is on the state department's website.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Concern for Multiple Actors After NJ, NYC Bombings


A series of planted bombs in New York and New Jersey have authorities concerned about the possibility of multiple actors in the tri-state area, law enforcement officials said. 

"We have to look at every possibility here," Mayor de Blasio said on MSNBC. "It could be a lone wolf, it could be something bigger."

Early Monday, authorities identified 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Afghanistan, as a suspect in the Chelsea bombing, and multiple law enforcement officials say he is also being sought in connection with the New Jersey pipe bombs. Senior law enforcement sources say officials are looking into whether anyone else may have been involved.

The chaos began to unfold Saturday morning, when a pipe bomb exploded in a trash can near a Marine race in Seaside Park, New Jersey. The race had been running late, and authorities have said they believed the device was timed to detonate when runners would be racing by the bin. Hours later, an explosive device went off in or near a large construction bin on a busy block in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, leaving 29 people with minor injuries.

Another device was found four blocks away and removed to a Bronx firing range for controlled detonation. Then, late Sunday, five pipe bombs were found in a trash can near an NJ Transit station in Elizabeth New Jersey. One of the bombs exploded as a robot tried to disarm it. No one was hurt. 

Armed FBI agents surrounded a home and fried chicken restaurant in Elizabeth hours after the bombs were found. The armed agents, including some from the ATF and FBI, swarmed "First American Fried Chicken" on Elmora Avenue just before 6 a.m. The investigators were going in and out of the restaurant as rain poured down. A residence above the restaurant is believed to be tied to explosives found at the Elizabeth station, although that hasn't been confirmed. 

The pipe bombs were similar to the one that detonated in Seaside Park, New Jersey, over the weekend before a Marine race.

Service on several NJ Transit lines was suspended and service along Amtrak's busy North East Corridor came to a halt amid an investigation at the train station. Service has since been restored to both NJ Transit and Amtrak with delays. 

The news of the suspicious bag at the Elizabeth station in New Jersey was first reported late Sunday, around the same time that the FBI said it had taken five people into custody for questioning after a traffic stop on the Verrazano Bridge in connection with Saturday's bombing in Manhattan that hurt 29 people. 

The agency said that the five individuals who were taken into custody are from Elizabeth, New Jersey. None of them has been charged with a crime and the investigation is ongoing.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

1 of 5 Pipe Bombs Explodes in NJ


One of five devices found in a bag near an Elizabeth, New Jersey, train station exploded early Monday as a bomb squad robot was trying to disarm it, and just hours later heavily armed FBI agents were seen in the city as authorities grew more concerned that there may be an active terror cell in the tri-state area. 

The news of the suspicious bag at the Elizabeth station was first reported late Sunday, around the same time that the FBI said it had taken five people into custody for questioning in connection with Saturday's bombing in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood after a traffic stop on the Verrazano Bridge. 


The agency said that the five individuals who were taken into custody are from Elizabeth, and law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation tell NBC 4 New York they are believed to be relatives or associates of 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami, the suspect sought in connection with the Chelsea bombings as well as the pipe bomb in Elizabeth and another in Seaside Park, New Jersey, over the weekend. No charges have been filed. 

An FBI wanted poster for Rahami said his last known address was in Elizabeth and warned that he could be armed and dangerous. 

There was law enforcement activity at an address on Elmora Avenue in Elizabeth at 6 a.m. Monday. Officials familiar with the investigation said that it's connected to the investigation at the Elizabeth NJ Transit station. Heavily armed FBI agents in camouflage were focusing on a residence above "First American Fried Chicken." 

Police and the FBI had responded earlier to the Elizabeth NJ Transit station after two homeless men found a suspicious bag there around 8:30 p.m. Sunday; devices in the bag were later determined to be explosive. The bag was in a trash can next to a trestle near the station, Elizabeth Mayor Chris Bollwage said.

After the bag was discovered, all New Jersey-bound Amtrak trains were held at New York Penn Station in midtown, hampering travel on the busy North East Corridor. NJ Transit service was also suspended between Newark Liberty Airport and Elizabeth, affecting the Northeast and New Jersey Coast lines. Amtrak and NJ Transit serive had resumed with delays by 6 a.m. 

Around 1 a.m. Monday, an explosion was heard near the train station in Elizabeth. A robot named "Jinx" was being used to dismantle the bomb at the time of the powerful blast and inadvertently detonated the device. 

Mayor Bollwage said that five separate pipe bomb devices were found inside the bag and that those devices were pulled from the bag and separated so that they could be inspected. As the robot was "cutting wires" on the first device, it went off, startling everyone at the scene. No one was injured. Bollwage said it "could have hurt a lot of people." 

Authorities were reassessing how to handle the other four devices after the first one exploded. 

The devices in Elizabeth apparently looked similar to what detonated in Seaside Park, New Jersey, on Saturday morning ahead of a Marine race. No one was injured in the Seaside Park explosion. 

Two bar patrons found the bag containing the devices in a trash can near train tracks. They looked inside and found pipes and wires. They then called authorities.

Bollwage said that the men are being questioned at police headquarters but are not suspected of building or planting the device. 

"We do not believe they were involved. We believe they did the right thing," Bollwage said. 


This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Petroleum Product Found in Naugatuck River: DEEP


The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection is on scene at a hazmat situation in the Naugatuck River in Torrington.

DEEP officials said there is a sheen on the Naugatuck river that seems to be from a petroleum product that came out of a storm water system because of rain.

DEEP said they are working to contain the sheen and stop storm water discharge until the system can be cleaned and they can find the source of the petroleum product.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Department of Energy and Environmental Protection

Litchfield Middle and High School Dismiss Early After Fire


The Litchfield Middle and High Schools dismissed early Monday after they were evacuated because of a small fire.

School officials confirmed that the buildings, located at 14 Plumb Hill Road, were evacuated at approximately 7:30 a.m. No injuries were reported and the fire was quickly extinguished.

The fire appears to have been caused by an electrical malfunction in the gym, according to a post on the school's website.

All students and staff were evacuated and relocated to the Litchfield Intermediate School. Students were dismissed for the day a short time later.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Blend Images RM

8-Year-Old Walks in Pride Parade


An estimated 45,000 people turned out for the Pride Parade in Dallas’ Oak Lawn neighborhood Sunday.

Among them was an 8-year-old transgender girl and her family, who are fighting to educate people about what it’s like to grow up transgender.

Marilyn Morrison has a lot of energy. Like most 8-year-olds, she plays with her friends and she loves animals. But she has something to say.

"I want people to understand that I'm just a normal kid," said Marilyn.

And she doesn't mind spelling it out for you.

"M-A-R-I-L-Y-N," she said, spelling out her name. She still likes the sound of it.

"It makes me feel like I am myself, I'm my true self now," said Marilyn.

Because until recently, Marilyn was known as Madden, a boy.

"In our home and family life, she has been called Marilyn for almost a year and at school she went back as her true self and she's known as Marilyn and the she that she is," said her mother Chelsa Morrison.

On Sunday, Marilyn walked in the Pride Parade with the group Equality Texas, with her family there supporting her.

“This is our child we’re talking about,” said Marilyn’s father Andrew Morrison. "Whether it's boy or girl, tall or short, whatever the difference is, she's our child."

On this day, in this place, Marilyn was a superstar. But it's not always easy growing up transgender.

"I have a bully at school who she said her whole family was freaking out about me turning into a girl and I was like, 'why?'" said Marilyn.

The bathroom debate poses new challenges. With an injunction blocking federal guidelines, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is in a wait-and-see phase.

"She's been using the girl's restroom,” said Andrew Morrison. “And how many issues have there been? Zero."

Still, some days it's hard to go back to school.

"I feel like if I go back there and give them more love and support that I can change their heart. I can make them accept me," said Marilyn.

To Marilyn's parents, this is nothing new.

"We've known for many, many years," said Andrew Morrison.

"When she started asking questions of when her body was going to change to be like a woman, what she was, and started telling us she was a girl," Chelsa Morrison added.

After research and therapy, the family firmly believes this is not a phase.

"These kids know exactly who they are because they were born that way," said Chelsa Morrison.

And at least for today, Marilyn is flying high, building a thick skin and a strong community.

"They'll build a shield around me," she said of her friends and family.

Something to rely on for the long road ahead.

Photo Credit: Alice Barr

Man Exposed Himself to 9-Year-Old: Danbury Police


Danbury police have arrested a man accused of exposing himself to a 9-year-old girl.

Carlos Samaniego-Ortega, 22, of Danbury faces a risk of injury to a minor charge.

Police said they received a complaint in May that Samaniego-Ortega exposed himself to the child. The Danbury Police Special Victims Unit investigated the case and was able to obtain an arrest warrant.

On Sept. 16, Samaniego-Ortega turned himself in to police. He was held on a $75,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Danbury Police Department

Man Touched 9-Year-Old Inappropriately: Danbury Police


Danbury police have arrested a man accused of inappropriately touching a 9-year-old girl in 2010.

Victor Handal, 72, of Danbury faces charges of Risk of injury to a minor-morals and risk of injury to a minor-sexual contact.

Police said on March 11, 2016 they received a complaint that in 2010 Handal touched the girl inappropriately at a home in Danbury. During the course of the investigation, police discovered that Handal sent inappropriate text messages to the same girl in 2015, when she was 15-years-old.

The Danbury Police Special Victims Unit investigated the case and obtained an arrest warrant for the suspect. Handal turned himself in to police on Sept. 16, 2016.

He was released on a $30,000 bond and is expected in court on Sept. 29, 2016.

Photo Credit: Danbury Police Department

East Windsor Woman Accused of Passport Fraud


An East Windsor woman faces federal fraud charges after investigators said she make a false statement on a US passport application.

According to the US Attorney’s Office, Aliyah Theresa Juliate Davis, also known as Theresa Juliate Sutherland, 36, was convicted on fraud and identity theft charges in 2014.

Davis was not required to report to prison immediately after her sentence because of claims of a diagnosis of terminal cancer and heart conditions, officials said.

Investigators allege that in March 2015, Davis charged her name from Theresa Juliate Sutherland to Aliyah Theresa Juliate Davis without disclosing her convictions. Using her new identity, David applied for a passport. On the passport application she answered the question “Have you ever applied for or been issued a U.S. Passport Book or Passport Card?” by checking no.

Investigators said David was issued a passport under the name of Theresa Juliate Sutherland in 2007.

Investigators also allege that Davis’ claims about her health were lies. The complaint also said that Davis has been collecting unemployment benefits under her old name while employed at an insurance companies and locals hospitals under her new name.

If convicted on the new charges, Davis faces a maximum term of 10 years in prison.

The U.S. Department of State, Diplomatic Security Service, U.S. Department of Labor – Office of Inspector General, Office of the Chief State’s Attorney, Connecticut Department of Labor and East Windsor Police Department all contributed to the investigation.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Plea in Boss Torture Attack Case


A former lawyer cried as she pleaded guilty Monday for her role in a home invasion and attack on her ex-boss and his wife, a crime for which her husband is already serving life in prison.

Alecia Schmuhl, of Springfield, Virginia, pleaded guilty to five charges in the case. The 2014 attack was an act of revenge against her former boss, who had fired her from his law firm weeks earlier, prosecutors said. 

Monday, Alecia Schmuhl pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated malicious wounding, two counts of abduction, and one count of burglary with a deadly weapon. She cried as she pleaded guilty to each charge.

Her plea deal sets a possible sentence range of 10 to 45 years in prison. Without a plea, she could have received life in prison like her husband.

The prosecutors told the judge that both victims supported the terms of her plea deal.

"Tt was after giving strong consideration to the victim's wishes in this case regarding the trials and tribulations of a second trial and the prospect of having to go thru a second trial and testify," said Casey Lingan, chief deputy in the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney.

Prosecutors said in November 2014, Schmuhl's husband, Andrew Schmuhl, broke into the McLean home of lawyer Leo Fisher and his wife, Sue Duncan, and held them captive for three hours as he shot, stabbed and shocked them with a Taser. 

Prosecutors said Alecia Schmuhl was just outside the home during the attack, communicating by phone with her husband. The victims were critically injured in the attack.

Fisher said he was in and out of consciousness but remembers his wife covered in blood while they struggled to call 911. Finally, Duncan was able to hit a panic alarm, and Andrew Schmuhl fled.

Andrew Schmuhl was convicted in June and sentenced earlier this month to two life terms plus 98 years.

Fisher has previously said that the brutal attack left both him and his wife with permanent scars and impairments.

"I've never been a person who hated before, and I hate now," he said. 

Duncan has constant nightmares about someone trying to kill her, her husband said.

"I just don't want this guy and his wife, these two monsters, to ever do this to anyone else again," Fisher told jurors during Andrew Schmuhl's trial.

Alecia Schmuhl is scheduled for sentencing for two days on Jan. 18-19.

Photo Credit: Fairfax County Police Department

Zika Mosquitoes Can Survive Over Next Months in Southern US


Even as a trendy Miami neighborhood has been declared Zika-free, the mosquitoes that transmit the virus can continue to survive over the next few months across the southeast United States from Florida to Texas, research shows.

The potential for an abundant population of the Aedes aegypti mosquito remains moderate or even high through November in the southernmost cities in the country, according to a study, “On the seasonal occurrence and abundance of the Zika virus vector mosquito Aedes aegypti in the contiguous United States.”

Florida with its hot, humid weather is particularly vulnerable. In November, the threat will be high in and around Miami and moderate in Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa, in New Orleans and in Houston and Brownsville, Texas.

Only in December will the risk decrease enough so that Miami alone will have a moderate potential for a significant supply of mosquitoes. Elsewhere in Florida, Louisiana and Texas there will still be some potential, though a low one.

Winter weather will be too cold for the mosquitoes elsewhere.

“When a mosquito bites someone and gets a virus it needs a week or two depending on temperature to actually incubate a virus — for it to move from its mid gut up to its salivary glands,” said the study’s lead author, Andrew Monaghan, a scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado. “If you’re in cooler areas, not only is that slower but mosquitoes often won’t survive it long enough to go through that extrinsic incubation period.”

The study, which looked at 50 cities within the range of Aedes aegypti, was published in March before locally transmitted cases of Zika were discovered in Florida — 70 cases in all, many in the Wynwood arts neighborhood of Miami and across Biscayne Bay in Miami Beach. Authorities in Florida say that they have found the virus in mosquitoes trapped in a 1.5-square-mile area of Miami Beach, a first for the continental United States.

On Monday, officials declared the first Zika outbreak on the continental United States to be over. No new cases of Zika have been found in Wynwood for 45 days, which represent three full incubation periods for the virus. However more cases were found in Miami Beach last week.

Monaghan and the study’s other authors had warned that the prevalence of Aedes aegypti would likely increase as the weather got warmer.

From New York to LA
Researchers found that conditions in the United States are mostly unsuitable for the mosquitoes from December through March, except in southern Florida and south Texas, where the potential for an abundant population is low to moderate.

In the peak summer months, July through September, the mosquito can thrive in all 50 cities -- as far north as New York City along the East Coast and as far west as Los Angeles across the southern portion of the country, according to computer simulations run by researchers at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. The mosquitoes are most abundant in the Southeast, particularly southern Florida, and south Texas where locally acquired cases of Aedes-transmitted viruses have been reported previously. Higher poverty rates in cities along the U.S.-Mexico border may result in increased exposure to the mosquito.

But Zika is unlikely to spread widely in the United States as it has done in the Caribbean and Latin America, experts say. That’s because so many Americans live in air-conditioned homes and work in air-conditioned offices.

Zika was first identified in 1947 in Uganda, and has moved through tropical regions of the world over the past 10 years, according to experts.

The role of climate change
One question has been the role climate change is playing in the widespread Zika epidemic. Sharyn Stein, a climate scientist at the Environmental Defense Fund, said that though many factors can affect the spread of a disease like Zika, mosquito seasons are lasting longer.

“In some places it’s lasted three or four weeks longer than usual and so people will be exposed to mosquitoes carrying Zika for a lot longer period of time,” she said.

But how a warmer warm will influence the spread of the virus is not known, she said.

Much is not known about the virus and the latest mystery is how a dying man in Utah infected his son. Doctors in Utah warned that blood and other body fluids of people who are severely ill might be infectious.

Although most people with Zika have more mild symptoms, the disease can cause microcephaly in babies — and the accompanying devastating birth defects.

“While there is much we still don’t know about the dynamics of Zika virus transmission, understanding where the Aedes aegypti mosquito can survive in the U.S. and how its abundance fluctuates seasonally may help guide mosquito control efforts and public health preparedness,” Monaghan said when the study was released.

A battle over funding
President Obama has asked for $1.9 billion in emergency funding; Congress countered with $1.1 billion but has not passed the legislation. Republicans tried to prevent money from going to clinics in Puerto Rico run by ProFamilias, a Planned Parenthood partner, as part of their approval -- a provision Democrats have refused to agree to. This week, 77 mayors, including those of Miami Beach, Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston, wrote to the Congressional leadership urging that Congress work together.

“Congress’ persistent inaction has forced the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to use more than $10 million of its funding for cancer and heart disease research for Zika,” the mayors wrote. “In total, $670 million has been diverted from other health priorities to fund Zika research. In addition, the CDC estimates that it will run out of funding to combat Zika at the end of this month, just as mosquito season reaches its peak.”

The CDC reports 20,870 cases of the Zika virus in the United States and its territories —  3,176 in the states and the District of Columbia, most of those brought by travelers, and 17,694 in the territories. So far, 1,887 pregnant women have tested positive for the virus, 731 in the states and 1,156 in the territories. Twenty-five babies are affected, according to the CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat.  

“The critical resources that President Obama has requested would help prevent the spread of the virus by allowing local governments to work in cooperation with the CDC and the NIH to enhance mosquito control, conduct tests, and deploy a critical Zika vaccine,” they wrote.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has singled out the Obama administration and Democrats for blame.

A long history in the US
The Aedes aegypti mosquito, which also spreads viruses for yellow fever, dengue and chikungunya, has been in the United States since at least the mid-1600s, when the first cases of yellow fever were documented. It transmitted yellow fever up the northeastern seaboard as far as New York and dengue as early as 1780 in Pennsylvania.

“Conditions were more suitable for Aedes aegypti in the northeastern U.S. a couple of hundred years ago when piped water access was lower, sanitation was much worse,” Monaghan said. “And human exposure was higher as well. People weren’t living in air-conditioned, screened environments. The likelihood of them coming into contact with this mosquito was much higher.”

The mosquito was nearly eradicated in the United States in the first half of the 20th century but has since rebounded, though today its range has contracted to the southern tier and up the eastern seaboard.

Monaghan said he and his colleagues are working to improve their modeling so that public health and mosquito control officials could provide early warnings — not just of when the Aedes aegypti populations are elevated but also what might influence the transmission of the virus and other projections.

They noted that northern cities could become more vulnerable if a related species of mosquito, Aedes albopictus, starts to carry the virus. Aedes albopictus is more tolerant of the cold.

Photo Credit: ap
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Amal Clooney Building Genocide Case Against ISIS


Amal Clooney is taking up the fight of Iraq's Yazidi community, driven from their homes by ISIS in a campaign the United Nations and U.S. State Department have called genocide, NBC News reported.

The renowned human rights lawyer, who is married to George Clooney, recently told a group of Yazidi refugees in Greece that "the international community should be ashamed that they haven't done more" to help them.

Along with a 23-year-old survivor of three months in ISIS captivity, Clooney is trying to persuade the international community to begin collecting evidence so the members of ISIS who have attacked Yazidis can be prosecuted in international court.

"Victims have all said they actually want their day in court," Clooney told NBC News in an exclusive interview. "It's not going to be easy, but we're working on multiple fronts."

Photo Credit: Jake Whitman / NBC News
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Waterbury Police Release Video of Shooting Caught on Camera


Police are looking for two male suspects linked to a shooting in Waterbury from earlier this month.

Surveillance video obtained by police purported shows one victim in the middle of Central Avenue being shot by a male suspect wearing a white tank top with the numbers "04" written on it.

On Sept. 9, Waterbury Police said they responded to Central Avenue on the report of the victim being shot after being chased by the suspect around 7:22 p.m.

Police said they are also looking for the male in the orange colored top running with the alleged shooter in the white tank top. 

Anyone with information is asked to call Waterbury police at (203) 574-6941, Crimestoppers at (203) 755-1234 or email police.

Photo Credit: Waterbury Police

What Is Needed to Erase the Drought?


The only expedient way to eliminate a drought like the one afflicting Connecticut would be a landfalling tropical storm or hurricane – but with that, comes far too many unwanted consequences.

Back in 2011, Irene dumped more than seven inches of rain in western Connecticut, causing devastating flooding.

But there were other impacts, like four and a half feet of storm surge and wind gusts up to 65 miles per hour – all of which accompanied Irene here in the Nutmeg State, and none of which the state wants to see again.

The more reasonable way to squash a deficit of more than 15 inches is to have a wetter than average season – in other words, several months of above average rainfall or snowfall.

A back-of-the-envelope estimate for the average amount of rain Connecticut sees in one month is four inches.

The problem? Every month this year, except February and August, saw between two and two point five inches of precipitation.

Hot off the press is the Climate Prediction Center's three-month precipitation outlook. The government forecasters project equal chances of above or below average precipitation.

Unfortunately, the drought is likely to continue as fall begins, and winter is historically the driest time of year in connecticut.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Man Who Stole Bronze Crest From Colt Park in Coltsville Arrested


The man accused of stealing the bronze crest that was pried off the Samuel Colt monument has been arrested. 

That bronze crest was stolen from a national park in the Coltsville part of Hartford was found last week at a metal recycler, but it was broken.

On Monday, Rafael Sanchez, 62, of Hartford, was charged with larceny and criminal mischief. 

The city discovered on Sept. 11 that the plaque was missing from the Colt coat-of-arms statue at the entrance of Colt Park off Wethersfield Avenue.

The crest was broken into pieces by mistake by a recycler and not by the person or people who stole it, James L. Griffin, director of the Sam and Elizabeth Colt Industrial and Frontier Heritage Center in Hartford, said.

The heritage center plans to fix the crest and said it will be as good as new.

Sanchez's bond was set at $5,000.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police

Police Arrest Patient After Finding Stolen Gun on His Person


Police arrested a patient from the hospital after workers said they found a stolen firearm on his person. 

Hartford police responded to St. Francis Hospital at 9:34 p.m. on Sunday. 

The ambulance transported the victim to the hospital from Capen Street on a report of an unresponsive male found, police said. 

Upon hospital intake, security located Smith and Wesson .22 caliber tucked into the patient's sock, police said. 

Police also said the patient was in possession of marijuana and cocaine. 

Further investigation found that the gun was reported stolen out of Glastonbury.

Demar Pipkin, 25, of East Hartford, was charged with carrying a pistol without a permit, theft of a firearm, possession of marijuana and narcotics, in addition to possession within a school zone. 

Photo Credit: Hartford Police
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live