NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Robber Steals More Than $2,500 From Windsor Locks Bank


Police are looking for the robber who stole thousands of dollars from a Windsor Locks bank on Monday. 

At approximately 12:48 p.m., United Bank on 20 Main Street, activated a bank robbery alarm to the Windsor Locks Police Department. 

The suspect gave a bank employee a note demanding for cash and began to move his vest open, implying that he may have a weapon, police said. 

About $2,900 was given to the suspect before he left in an waiting nearby car, police said. 

The suspect is described as mid-30s, about 5'8", weighing 220 to 240 pounds. He was wearing a baseball cap, thin-framed sunglasses with peach-colored tint lenses, scruffy black beard, long collarbone-length hair with a white t-shirt and blush vest. 

Anyone with information please call the Windsor Locks Police at (860) 627-1461.

Photo Credit: Windsor Locks Police

1 Hospitalized After Deck Collapses in New London


One person was transported to the hospital after a deck collapsed in New London on Monday, fire officials said. 

Crews responded to the collapse on 49 Willets Avenue for a third floor deck collapse onto the first floor, firefighters said.

The victim was standing on the third floor deck when it collapsed and was transported to Lawerence and Memorial Hospital for minor injuries. 

The area was taped off and the first floor residents were advised not to utilize exterior decking until further notice from the building department. 

Photo Credit: New London Firefighters

Investigations More Detailed as Attacks Become More Random


Law enforcement experts say they have better tools than ever before to monitor suspicious activity and later track down suspects.

In the City of Hartford, they have the Real Time Crime Center, a room with more than a dozen flat screen HD televisions fixated on whichever street or corner police feel they need to view.

"We use this for everything from purse snatchings right on up to homicides. We run the gamut here," said Deputy Chief Brian Foley, the Hartford Police Department's spokesman.

The department has the ability to view and zoom in on any section of the city where their wireless HD cameras are installed. The city is hoping to have a presence in many of the busiest neighborhoods over the next few years. The center is already on par with some of the best facilities for surveillance in the country.

“You can bet that much of the stuff you see here is being used in New York to track the suspects that are involved with that. I can promise you that’s what’s going on," Foley said.

One of the biggest issues when it comes to an explosion, however, is that would-be terrorists have more access than ever to supplies that can inflict serious harm, injury, and even death.

Jibey Asthappan is the Chair of the National Security Department at the University of New Haven, an Air Force Veteran, and is an expert in explosive devices.

"Unfortunately these sorts of devices are very simple to make and you can get the parts from any hardware store," Asthappan said. 

Asthappan said all someone needs is a pressure or rice cooker and several other key components, but he did say such won't lead to widespread damage.

"These are pipe bombs so therefore they're using low explosives. So generally it's a low amount of damage. They'll break windows but they won't cause the massive damage that a high explosive would," Asthappan said. 

Police said those kinds of explosives are the most problematic because it's hard to predict or know when one is being developed.

Foley said the overall landscape of public safety has changed.

"No one wants to live in a police state, but the problem the places that are getting hit are soft targets where there’s not a lot of police officers. That’s just the way it’s unfolding and something has got to be done to address it,” he said. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

New Haven Mayor Wants City Cellphones Issued to Patrol Officers


The mayor of New Haven is hoping to build a relationship between patroling officers and the community by issuing city cellphones. 

Mayor Toni Harp said the city could give cellphones to officers, who can distribute those cellphone numbers to residents in his or her patrol area. 

"Especially when something happens if people can call that number to the police officer they know and trust I'm thinking we’ll hear more from people in the community what is happening," said Harp.

However, the measure wouldn’t be to replace 911, the mayor said. Police dispatch should be called first, then the specific officer. 

"I was just speaking to the officer that drives me and he told me a story about one of our business owners who had his personal cellphone and he was on the beat and he had a problem in his store and by the time the person who tried to run out the store had gotten over 200 feet he was right there," said Harp.

While the mayor said the police department is on board with the idea, it’s still in the planning stages and a plan has not been presented to the Board of Alders.

Some residents say they like the idea.

"I think if you have one officer you trust, more people would call in if things go wrong," said Jessica Mathesen.

While others like Crystal Silver who work in New Haven said she’d rather stick with 911.

"Because they can record it, online, get your statement and you don’t have to worry about nobody coming back to you," said Silver of Ansonia.

The mayor wants to see city cellphones in the hands of patrol officers as soon as possible, but right now one of the biggest questions for the City, is what this plan would cost.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Flaming Tire Flies Off Truck, Lands in Home


A large tire flew off a farm vehicle and smashed through the side of a home in Shoreham, Vermont.

Vermont State Police said a farm truck operated by a Bristol man suffered a mechanical failure Sunday afternoon, causing the driver's side rear tire to detach from the vehicle.

The tire left the roadway and careened through the wall of a Richville Road resident, landing inside the home, according to police.

The homeowner told police the large tire was on fire when it crashed into his house, the investigator said.

No injuries resulted from the lost tire, only substantial property damage, police said.

Photo Credit: Vermont State Police

Quinnipiac University Hires Former New Haven Police Chief


Quinnipiac University said it has hired Dean Esserman after he stepped down from his position as New Haven police chief.

"Dean Esserman came aboard today as a senior professional-in-residence for emergency management response," said Vice President for Quinnipiac University public affairs Lynn Bushnell. "He will examine the university's emergency response plans to make sure we're using the best practices to keep the university community as safe as possible."

Dean Esserman  stepped down as the New Haven police chief as of on Sept. 7.

The former police chief was on disciplinary leave starting July 25 and transitioned to temporary sick leave in mid-August.

New Haven officials said the resignation was a "mutual agreement" and became effective on Sept. 2.

"Mayor Harp and Chief Esserman agree this decision follows a process in which the best interests of New Haven remained first and foremost," a spokesman for the city said.

Assistant Chief Anthony Campbell is continuing to sever as interim chief of police, the statement said. 

At the end of July, Harp placed Esserman on paid leave of absence for behavior she called "unbecoming of a public official" after he allegedly berated a waitress at Archie Moore’s Restaurant.

However, this wasn't the first time Esserman had lashed out in public.

Two years ago, Esserman apologized for arguing with an usher and threatening to shut down a football game at the Yale Bowl.

Earlier this summer, Police Union Members voted 170-42 "no confidence" in Esserman, citing his public outbursts, plus low morale, intimidation and a hostile work environment.

In August, group of protestors marched from the Police Department to City Hall demanding the removal or resignation of Essesrman, at times chanting: "Hey, ho Esserman has got to go."

Police Respond to Shooting at Vegas' McCarran Airport


Las Vegas police responded to the city's international airport Monday evening after a shooting that appeared to be related to domestic violence, authorities said.

There were few details on the shooting available Monday night, though the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department called the shooting an ongoing investigation at about 6:40 p.m. PT

Police told NBC affiliate KSNV that two people were shot at the Terminal 1 parking structure.

The incident was reported at 5:56 p.m. PT, according to the official McCarran International Airport Twitter feed. Two people were taken to local hospitals, according to that Twitter account. An earlier tweet said their condition wasn't immediately clear.

The shooting suspect was not on airport properly shortly before 7 p.m. PT, according to another tweet from the airport. it wasn't clear if that meant a suspect was at large.

Police cruisers could be seen near a parking garage soon after the shooting.

Check back for more information on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Getty Images, File

Investigators Return to Scene of Trinity College Deck Collapse


Both police and Trinity College officials are still investigating a double balcony collapse that sent more than two dozen students to the hospital. 

Detectives haven’t yet ruled out whether there is any criminal aspect to that frightening balcony collapse that occurred on Sept. 10. 

A Trinity spokeswoman said they’re working with engineers and inspectors during the investigation and officials expect to be done in a few weeks.

An attorney for the college joined a Trinity official outside 1713-1715 Broad Street on Monday at the college-owned property where two balconies pancaked on top of each another late on Saturday night. 

The accident sent dozens of Trinity students to the hospital with broken bones, concussions and other injuries at the off campus party.

Earlier Monday morning, campus public safety hauled out not one, but two kegs full of beer from the now empty property.

Officials at licensing and inspections said their investigation is ongoing after citing violations minutes after the collapse, as being the result of the accident.

An attorney for SML Real Estate, Inc. tells the NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters the property management company collected rent monies from the student tenants and did small things including changing light bulbs and door locks.

Mayor Luke Bronin adds the city is ready to partner with the college in any way needed to make sure the students are well taken care of.

'I can tell you the deck was put in place a long time before i took office, and there were some record keeping issues from those days and conversions to electronic records and, but we want to do whatever we can to make sure we get our arms around that too. But the most important thing is to make sure everyone in the city knows there are a lot of older properties in the city, and you have to take precautions if you have an older deck. you’ve got to take a look at it to make sure it’s not sagging, rotting and pulling away from the building and everyone should be taking those precautions, and obviously don’t put too many people on it. Obviously, good to know when it was put in place, whether put in place illegally and when put in place and whether that person took out permits, maybe other people looking into it as well," Bronin said.

The NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters have repeatedly requested on camera interviews with Trinity College officials, but have been denied.

At least one parent of an injured student tells NBC Connecticut they’ve heard nothing from the school in terms of what their investigation has revealed, but they expect to reach out shortly.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Bar Owner on Bombing Suspect


It was just another day of work for one New Jersey bar owner — until he encountered the most wanted man in the tri-state sleeping outside his tavern.

As a massive manhunt was underway for New York City bombing suspect Ahmad Rahami, business owner Harry Bains noticed a man sleeping in the doorway of his Linden bar, Merdie’s Tavern.

Bains said the man had been asleep there for hours Monday morning and thought that he may have been a drunk who passed out. He said the man looked “tired and exhausted” as rain poured down around him.

The news of a terror suspect on the loose had been on in Merdie’s Tavern all morning. He said he had a gut feeling about the sleeping man, as the story ran over and over on television and Rahami’s image replayed in his mind.

“I was watching the news since this morning and I said, 'This guy looks so like this guy.' And I kept looping the same story three or four times,” Bains said.

Bains finally decided to follow his instincts about the man. He said he made a call to Linden police.

When officers arrived, things escalated quickly.

The officers woke Rahami. When he lifted his head they recognized him as the man in the FBI wanted poster released just hours earlier. They told him to show his hands and he pulled out a gun and fired, hitting one of them, according to police.

Rahami then allegedly walked down the street firing at random passing vehicles. Eventually police were able to take him down. He was hauled away in an ambulance, wounded by police bullets, but still alive.

Bains was nearly hit by bullets during the gunfight, but he says in the end he’s glad he followed that uneasy feeling he had.

“I'm just happy that I did it and it came to be that guy, you know?” Bains said.

But the totality of the whole situation was still settling in for Bains later on Monday.

“Why in the world? Of all the places in front of my bar? The guy is lodging in front of my bar.”

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Fact Check: Trump Surrogates Spin ‘Birther’ Narrative


New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie falsely claimed that Donald Trump did not question President Barack Obama’s birthplace “on a regular basis” after the president produced his long-form birth certificate in April 2011.

In fact, Trump continued for years to traffic in baseless rumors that Obama was not born in the U.S.

Trump tweeted in 2012 that an “extremely credible source” told him the president’s birth certificate “is a fraud,” and suggested in 2014 that Obama’s college records would show his real “place of birth.” He even cast conspiratorial doubts on the sudden death of the Hawaii health director in 2013, two years after she approved the release of Obama’s long-form birth certificate.

Trump’s history of questioning Obama’s birth certificate dates to at least 2011, when the businessman was contemplating a run for president.

Obama in 2008 produced his official “Certification of Live Birth” — which FactCheck.org staffers touched, examined and photographed, as we wrote in our “Born in the U.S.A.” article. In 2011, Trump insisted — falsely — that Obama’s “Certification of Live Birth” was “not a birth certificate,” when in fact it satisfies the legal requirements for proving citizenship and obtaining a passport. We covered that and other false claims Trump was making at the time in our story “Donald, You’re Fired!

After Trump revived the so-called birther movement in 2011, Obama received an exemption from the Hawaii Department of Health to release his long-form birth certificate. Obama produced the form on April 27, 2011, as reported in our story “Indeed, Born in the U.S.A.

Christie insisted on CNN’s “State of the Union” that Trump in 2011 accepted that Obama was born in Hawaii, when in fact Trump for years continued to question the authenticity of the long-form birth certificate.

CNN’s Jake Tapper, Sept. 18: I want to ask you about this birther thing, because you, as governor, as a politician, you have stood up to some of the darker impulses in American politics. You have been clear for a long time that Barack Obama was born in the United States. Donald Trump, by contrast, he clung to the birther lie for years. He still isn’t apologetic about it. Do you understand why so many people, including African Americans, are upset with him over the issue?

Christie: Oh, listen, I made my position on it really clear a long time ago. And Donald has now made his position on it clear, which is that, after the president presented his birth certificate, Donald has said he was born in the United States, and that’s the end of the issue.

It was a contentious issue and, by the way, an issue that Patti Solis Doyle of the Clinton campaign in 2008 has recently admitted was an issue that Mrs. Clinton also injected into her campaign in 2008 in a very quiet, but direct way, against then Senator Obama.

And so, you know, the birther issue is a done issue. I have said it’s a done issue for a long time. And Donald Trump has said it’s a done issue now. And so we need to move on to the issues that are really important to the American people.

And, Jake, I got to tell you the truth. If you think that anyone is going to vote for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton or against either one of them based upon this issue, then I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding of the concerns of the American people. Let’s move on to the real issues.

Tapper: Well, just as a point of fact, again, Donald Trump did not accept when Barack Obama released his birth certificate in 2011. He kept up this whole birther thing until Friday. That’s five years. But we only have a little time left. So, I want to ask you …

Christie: No, but, Jake, that’s just not true. It’s not true that he kept it up for five years.

Tapper: Sure, he did.

Christie: It’s simply not true.

Tapper: It is true.

Christie: It wasn’t like he was talking — no, Jake, it wasn’t like — it wasn’t like he was talking about it on a regular basis until then.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus made a similar claim on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” Priebus said that Trump at his Sept. 16 campaign event “came out and said, listen, I was involved in trying to figure this out as well, and I have determined that the president was born in Hawaii, just like I have said for years.”

Christie and Priebus are both wrong. Trump perpetuated the false narrative for years after Obama presented his long-form birth certificate on April 27, 2011.

ABC News tallied up 67 instances in which Trump tweeted or retweeted comments that questioned the legitimacy of Obama’s birth certificate. In some cases, Trump also promoted discredited conspiracies advanced by some of the most ardent believers in the “birther” falsehood.

On Aug. 6, 2012, Trump tweeted that an “extremely credible source” told him the president’s birth certificate “is a fraud.”

On Dec. 12, 2013, Trump tweeted about the death of Loretta Fuddy, the Hawaii health director who approved the release of Obama’s long-form birth certificate in 2011. Trump used quotes around “birth certificate” and implied that Fuddy’s death was part of the birther conspiracy.

The autopsy revealed that the 65-year-old woman died of an irregular heartbeat from the stress of the crash, as the Associated Press reported.

On Sept. 6, 2014, Trump was on Twitter again, urging hackers to “hack Obama’s college records (destroyed?) and check ‘place of birth.’”

In this tweet, Trump advanced a long-discredited claim that Obama applied for and received a college scholarship for foreign students. It was, in fact, an April Fools’ Day hoax.

As we wrote more than seven years ago, a viral email circulated a fake Associated Press story dated April 1, 2009, that said Obama’s college transcripts from Occidental College showed he applied for and obtained a Fulbright scholarship for foreign students. The email called it the “smoking gun.” But the AP at the time gave us a statement calling the story a fake. The story also claimed that the United States Justice Foundation investigated Obama’s campaign spending and found evidence the campaign misused funds to “block disclosure of any of [Obama’s] personal records.” But the executive director of that group told us in an email, “It’s all a hoax.”

During the presidential campaign, Trump refused to answer questions about Obama’s birthplace — until Sept. 16. A year ago, for example, comedian Stephen Colbert on “The Late Show” asked Trump: “I’m going to throw you a big, fat meatball. This is the last time you ever have to address this question if you hit the ball. Barack Obama, born in the United States?” Trump replied, “I don’t talk about it anymore.”

More recently, Trump refused to answer the question in an interview with the Washington Post on Sept. 15, a day before he finally acknowledged that Obama was born in the U.S.

It’s simply preposterous for Priebus to claim that Trump has been saying “for years” that Obama was born in the U.S., and for Christie to claim it is “not true” that Trump kept the conspiracy theory alive for years after the president produced his long-form birth certificate.

Christie is also off base when he says that Clinton’s 2008 campaign manager, Patti Solis Doyle, “has recently admitted [it] was an issue that Mrs. Clinton also injected into her campaign in 2008 in a very quiet, but direct way, against then Senator Obama.” That’s not what she said.

In a Sept. 16 interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, Solis Doyle said that a “rogue volunteer coordinator” in Iowa was fired when the campaign found out that the aide forwarded an email promoting the birthplace conspiracy. Solis Doyle called the incident “beyond the pale,” saying she called Obama campaign manager David Plouffe and apologized for it. “This was not the kind of campaign we wanted to run,” she said she told Plouffe.

Photo Credit: AP

'Hate-Filled' Banana Incidents


Students at American University protested Monday night over racial incidents on campus earlier in September.

Protesters said they are fed up with “hate-filled incidents” against African-American students at AU. They were frustrated that two Sept. 8 incidents, one where an African-American woman said a banana was thrown at her and another African-American woman found a rotten banana and obscene drawings on her dorm room door, are not being investigated as hate crimes.

The AU students were joined by students from George Washington University, Howard University and the University of the District of Columbia.

Alaina Mastrippolito, a junior at American University, thought the events reported on campus were hard to believe. She came to the protest, because she wanted to hear the thoughts of the black community on campus.

"AU promotes being such an inclusive community, and it's hard to see that some students are just on the complete opposite spectrum," she said. "It's obviously different to see what has been reported and what the students are actually thinking.”

With the number of people at the event, Mastrippolito is hopeful that there will be a change.

"But once again, the change starts with us," she said. "So it takes the effort of everyone not just a certain group."

Sydnee Martin, a freshman at George Washington University, saw only a part of the protest but said seeing so many people standing up for a certain reason is something that many people should know about.

"Not many people knew about this [protest] that happened today, and I just think it needs to get out there so people become more aware of it," she said.

She said she believes the events on campus were racially charged.

Student protesters met with university officials over the weekend at a town hall meeting. They said they were unsatisfied by the response of the school administration and called for the suspension of the students responsible.

American University said the students responsible for the incidents have been disciplined. American University President Neil Kerwin has called for campus events to address racial problems and create a more inclusive culture.

Kerwin issued a statement on Monday: “We will confront racist expressions with forceful condemnation and respond to discrimination with every tool at our disposal. It is incumbent on the university to respond clearly and to educate those who cause harm with their insensitivity and ignorance.”

Photo Credit: NBC4 Washington

Hints of Normalcy Return to Chelsea Ahead of NYC Mayor's Visit


Mayor de Blasio will meet with residents of Chelsea on Tuesday after saying Monday that there is “every reason to believe” bombings in the Manhattan neighborhood and in New Jersey over the weekend were “an act of terror.”

Crime scene tape came down on West 23rd Street on Monday, just two days after a blast erupted along the stretch between Seventh and Sixth avenues, injuring 29 people and setting off a massive hunt for the person responsible.

As the barricades and blockades disappeared along Chelsea streets Monday night, something else moved in: a spirit of reflection.

Edmund Ebrani normally eats dinner across the street from the blast site every Saturday, but this weekend he stayed home.

“We’re Jewish, now we go and say special prayers that we were not there at that time,” Ebrani said.

On Monday night, Reggie Jackson was also on 23rd Street. He was dealing with his windshield, which was smashed by shrapnel during the blast. Jackson and his wife were upstairs Saturday night when an explosive device went off in what authorities now call a terror attack. Another bomb nearby never detonated.

Jackson said he and his wife normally sit in their SUV for a while before they go up to their apartment.

“We decided not to be in the car that night and it was a good thing,” Jackson said.

Ahmad Khan Rahami, the 28-year-old man authorities believe planted the two Chelsea bombs and three pipe bombs in Seaside Park, New Jersey, was apprehended by police shortly after 10:30 a.m. Monday.

Claire Richter stood under a shredded overhang on West 23rd Street Monday night. The thirty-year Chelsea resident said the bombing “was just too close” and that the damaged street represents the state of security for an entire country these days, which has faced a new threat in soft target attacks. 

Former NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton called the bombing in Chelsea “probably the first significant successful terror attack [in New York City] since 9/11.”

“This is individual, little people with a lot of hate and a lot of resentment and they’re blowing up whatever they can,” Richter said.

As the Tuesday morning rush begins and the city continues on with its ceaseless grind, a few cops and a number of boarded-up windows will be the main indication that an act of terror was committed here just days ago. 

But some Chelsea residents were still out of their homes and neighbors here and elsewhere will undoubtedly be talking about the shock of this weekend for quite some time.

Photo Credit: AP

Who Is Ahmad Khan Rahami? What We Know


Ahmad Khan Rahami, a suspect in the bombings in New York City and a shore town in New Jersey, immigrated to the United States from Afghanistan and lives in New Jersey, where his father owns a fried chicken restaurant.

Rahami was wounded during a shootout with police in Linden, New Jersey, Monday morning after he was found sleeping in the doorway of a bar, according to authorities. Two police officers were also wounded, but are expected to survive. Rahami was taken into custody and, Monday evening, charged with five counts of attempted murder of a law-enforcment official. 

"We have every reason to believe this was an act of terror," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

Rahami, 28, is a U.S. citizen whose family opened First American Fried Chicken in 2002 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The restaurant was searched by authorities Monday morning. The family came to the United States in 1995 as asylum seekers. 

Rahami lives with his family above the restaurant, according to The Associated Press.

"He's a very friendly guy, that's what's so scary," Ryan McCann of Elizabeth told the AP.

His father, Mohammed, said little to an NBC News reporter outside their home Monday, telling him only "I'm not sure what's going on" and "It's very hard right now to talk." 

Travel to Pakistan, Middle East
Rahami, who was born on Jan. 23, 1988, in Afghanistan, was arrested in connection with the bombings Saturday and Sunday in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood and Seaside Park, New Jersey. Five pipe bombs were found in Elizabeth, one of which exploded as authorities investigated.

A law enforcement source told NBC that a fingerprint on an unexploded device linked the bombings to Rahami; cellphone information also helped.

He was not on either a U.S. terrorist watch list nor on one maintained by the New York Police Department, senior officials told NBC News.

A senior U.S. intelligence official told NBC News on Monday that Rahami made several trips to Pakistan and visited Afghanistan in 2013.

Friends and former classmates told NBC News that Rahami was a "cool dude" in high school with the nickname Bo. He liked to have fun and served as a father figure to his younger siblings. By 2014, Rahami was married to a Pakistani woman and had a "nasty" disposition and a license to carry a firearm.

"I played lacrosse with him until he was kicked off the team for being late all the time," said one former classmate, who didn't want his name made public. "He definitely didn't seem like the kind of guy you would think would do something like this."

Rahami was a criminal justice major at Middlesex Community College from 2010 to 2012 but did not graduate, a college spokesman said. The school said there was nothing concerning in his file.

He was involved in a domestic incident but the allegations were recanted, FBI Assistant Director in Charge William Sweeney Jr. said in a news briefing on Monday. He did not describe the incident further.

Rahami family's lawsuit
Five years ago, Mohammed and two relatives claimed in a lawsuit filed in federal court that they were harassed by city officials over the restaurant's hours of operation. Neighbors had complained that the restaurant was a late-night nuisance.

They accused the city of targeting them because they were Muslim, according to the the civil rights complaint.

The restaurant had an exemption to stay open past 10 p.m., but police repeatedly tried to close it early, according to the lawsuit. During one confrontation with police, one of Ahmad Rahami's older brothers was arrested after a fight with an officer, and later fled to Afghanistan, The New York Times reported.

One man, James Dean McDermott, told the family, "Muslims make too much trouble in this country," according to the complaint.

McDermott, a freelance television cameraman, denied the accusation, telling NBC News, "it never happened." He said his dispute with the Rahamis was over the restaurant's hours and not their religion.

Elizabeth Mayor Christian Bollwage told The AP that Rahami's father and two brothers sued after the city passed an ordinance requiring it to close early. 

The owner of a neighboring business described the family as "very secluded" and said the children usually worked behind the counter.

Rahami's father, Mohammad, told NBC News in a brief interview Monday that he had no idea his son was plotting an attack.

For more coverage of the New Jersey and New York bombings, click here.

Photo Credit: New Jersey State Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

State Police Investigate Burglary in Oxford


Police in Oxford are asking for the public’s help in identifying a pair of suspects in a residential burglary.

Connecticut State police say that officers responded to a report of a burglary on Pines Bridge Road at around 11:40 a.m. on Monday. Investigators determined that two male suspects had entered the residence and stole a Sony laptop computer.

Police released surveillance images of the two suspects, who were last seen operating a Hyundai SUV according to police.

Anyone who may know the identity of the suspects or has any information about this burglary is being asked to reach out to Officer Gugliotti at the Oxford Resident Troopers Office at 203-888-4353, or to text police at TIP711 with any information to 274637.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Twice-Convicted Killer Charged in 2 More Hartford Homicides


A serial sex offender who was already convicted of killing two women in Hartford was charged on Monday for the homicides of two more women from over the last 19 years, the state's division of criminal justice said. 

Robert White, 56, was charged after an investigation by the Cold Case Unit found that he had allegedly murdered two women: one in 1997 and one in 2012. 

White faces one count of capital felony murder and murder for the 1997 slaying of Shiraleen Crawford and one count of murder with special circumstances, felony murder and murder in the death of Sonia Rivera in 2012, the state said. 

He is currently serving a 50-year prison sentence for the murder of his ex-girlfriend and his bond was set at $1 million for each case. 

In 2013, White confessed to suffocating and stabbing his 59-year-old girlfriend Sawarie Krichindath, who was found inside her Hartford apartment. 

In 1998, he was convicted of sexual assault, spent almost 14 years in prison and was forced to register as a sex offender. White was charged with first-degree sexual assault in 1998 and third-degree sexual assault in 1993. 

In the 1980s, White was convicted of manslaughter.

Hartford Apartment Building Evacuated Due to Kitchen Fire


An apartment building on Sisson Avenue in Hartford was evacuated early on Tuesday morning following a small kitchen fire, according to firefighters.

Hartford firefighters told NBC Connecticut the fire broke out on the first floor of 7 Sisson Avenue, filling it with smoke.

Residents were evacuated from the building, but no injuries were reported.

Firefighters quickly  knocked down the flames and aired out the building before letting residents back inside.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Route 10 in Southington Closed Due to Crash


Route 10 (Main Street) in Southington is closed after a car struck a utility pole Tuesday morning.

Southington police said only minor injuries were reported. Route 10 is closed between Bristol Street and Chestnut Street while crews repair the pole.

Northbound traffic is being detoured left onto Bristol Street, right onto Chestnut Street, then back onto Route 10. Southbound traffic is being detoured right onto Chestnut Street, left onto Bristol Street, then back onto Route 10.

According to police, around 6:40 a.m. a 17-year-old girl was driving south in the area of 466 Main Street when she veered off the right side of the road and struck a pole. The vehicle continued through the pole and also hit a fire hydrant. The force of the impact caused two poles to fall, blocking the road.

The teen was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

No charges have been file.

Police said utility crews are on scene making repairs. It is unclear how long the road will be closed.

[[394109911, C]]

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Bombing Suspect's Dad Had 'No Idea' of Son's Alleged Plans


The father of Ahmad Rahami, the suspected bomber in a series of explosions in New York City and New Jersey Saturday, says he had "no idea" his son was involved in any alleged terror plan. 

Mohammad Rahami, who owns the fried chicken restaurant in Elizabeth, New Jersey, that was raided by FBI and other officials as law enforcement escalated their manhunt for the suspect, had little else to say about his son's arrest. 

Asked by NBC News if he knew his son was allegedly involved in bomb-making, Mohammad Rahami said, "No. No idea." 

Authorities are looking to question Ahmad Rahami's wife, who was out of the country when the bombings were carried out last weekend. A senior law enforcement official says investigators do not consider her travel suspicious.

Ahmad Rahami, a 28-year-old native of Afghanistan, was taken into custody Monday after a shootout on the street with police officers in Linden, New Jersey. Two officers were shot in the chaos, but are expected to make full recoveries. One left the hospital Monday night; the other was expected out Tuesday. Rahami, who was also wounded and remains hospitalized, has been charged with five counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer. 

No charges have been filed yet in connection with the Saturday bombings in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood that left 29 injured and the explosion at a Marine 5K race in Seaside Park, New Jersey. Federal charges were still pending, and the U.S. attorneys in New York and New Jersey will likely charge him with terrorism in the coming days, FBI officials said in Linden Monday.

In addition to the counts of attempted murder, Rahami is charged with second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon and second-degree possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, Union County Prosecutor Grace H. Park announced Monday evening. Bail for Rahami in the Linden shootout was set at $5.2 million. It wasn't clear if he'd retained an attorney as of Monday night.

Authorities had been looking for Rahami in connection with bombings that rocked a crowded Manhattan neighborhood and a Jersey shore town over the weekend. A senior law enforcement official says a fingerprint collected from an unexploded device led investigators to Rahami as a suspect in the bombings at the Marine 5K race and the blast in Chelsea. 

It wasn't clear if the suspect was linked to five pipe bombs — one of which was inadvertently detonated by a robot — found at a train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey, late Sunday, not far from where Rahami was later captured. 

The blast in Chelsea injured 29 people, though all have since been released from the hospital. The explosion left twisted metal and shrapnel scattered across 23rd Street. An unexploded pressure cooker with a cellphone attached and wires protruding was found four blocks away; it was taken to a firing range, where it was safely detonated. Mayor de Blasio was set to visit the scene Tuesday as the neighborhood worked to return to normal. 

The discovery of the Manhattan devices came hours after a pipe bomb exploded in a trash bin at the Marine 5K in Seaside Park. Authorities had said they believed the device had been timed to go off as participants were running by, but the race had been late. It was canceled and no one was hurt. 

Old-fashioned flip phones were found on the devices in Manhattan and in Seaside Park, law enforcement officials close to the investigation told NBC 4 New York. All of the phones were purchased at the same New Jersey discount store — and were made with commonly available materials that can be bought without raising law-enforcement suspicions, authorities say.

After hedging on any potential terror angle over the weekend, Mayor de Blasio said at a news briefing Monday that there is "every reason to believe" the bombings in the city and in New Jersey were "an act of terror." 

Authorities said, though, that there was no indication of a terror cell in the area, and officials believe the suspect acted alone.

Photo Credit: AP
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Crews Battle 2-Alarm Fire in Hartford


An early morning fire in Harford seriously damaged a building on Babcock Street Tuesday.

Fire officials said they received a call at 1:17 a.m. for a fire in a vacant building located at 159/161 Babcock Street, in the city’s Frog Hollow neighborhood. When firefighters arrived on scene they found heavy fire coming from the second and third floor porches and windows.

Firefighters struck a second alarm and went to work. No one reported any injuries, but the building sustained serious damage.

“The structural integrity has been compromised so we’re not putting any bodies in there, any firefighters, or taking any unnecessary risks,” said Hartford Fire Captain Raul Ortiz.

The building inspector has been called to evaluate the building and see if it needs to be torn down.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Woman Hospitalized After Being Hit by Truck in Manchester


A 28-year-old Manchester woman sustained serious injuries when she was struck by a pickup truck Tuesday morning.

Manchester Police Captain Chris Davis said a pickup truck traveling west hit the woman, identified as Emily Hernandez, near the intersection of Hartford Road and Elm Street around 6 a.m.

Hernandez was taken to Hartford Hospital for treatment of her injuries and is in stable condition, police said.

The driver, identified as Michael Swift, 56, of Manchester stopped and is cooperating with the police.

Hartford Road was closed from Pine Street to South Main Street for several hours while police investigated but has since reopened.

The Manchester Police Department Traffic Unit and Metro Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team is investigating the details of the crash.

“Whether it be lighting conditions, whether she was wearing dark clothing, whether she was visible to the operator, whether the operator was under any type of impairment. All the typical things that we would try to determine why this accident happened,” said Davis.

Anyone who may have seen the accident is aske to contact Officer Jason Moss at (860) 645-5560.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live