NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

El Cajon Shooting Video's Release


The El Cajon Police Department (ECPD) released two video clips Friday showing the controversial deadly police shooting of an unarmed black man that has fueled days of protests in the community in San Diego's East County.

ECPD Chief Jeff Davis said the decision to release the video of the Tuesday shooting of Alfred Olango, 38, was due in part to a concern for public safety.

One video was captured by a witness's cellphone as she worked her shift at a nearby taco shop, while the other comes from one of the shop's surveillance cameras. They show two ECPD officers, Richard Gonsalves and Josh McDaniel, approaching Olango. Olango's sister, wearing nurse's scrubs, can also be seen near the officers in one of the clips.

Olango appears to move in the moment before the shooting takes place. Gunshots are audible in the cellphone video, followed by a woman's piercing scream.

Police have said Olango pulled a 4-inch-long vaping device out of his pocket and held it in a "shooting stance." McDaniel deployed a Taser while Gonsalves fired multiple rounds from his gun at the man, critically striking him.

"For the sake of the wellbeing of the community, the decision was made to show you this video," Davis said, calling the event tragic. "It is that vital, we felt, to present it today to show what we have at this point."

Olango was shot and killed by the officers on Tuesday in the parking lot of a shopping center in the 800 block of Broadway in El Cajon.

According to the ECPD, Olango was reported to be “acting erratically,” walking in and out of traffic, and did not follow orders to remove his hands from the pockets of his pants when approached by two officers.

Earlier this week, Chief Davis promised a complete and transparent investigation into Olango's shooting. He was joined Mayor Bill Wells and San Diego District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis as they released the footage for the first time at an afternoon news conference.

The high-profile case has prompted uproar in the community and several days of protests, some of them peaceful, some violent.

Davis discussed the timeline of those protests and their impact on those who live and work in El Cajon.

He said the protests began peacefully Tuesday hours after the shooting and continued Wednesday morning. That day, the crowd grew to about 400 demonstrators who later blocked intersections and shut down traffic on Broadway.

Davis said some protesters threw bottles at officers and deputies. At one point, a civilian was assaulted in the crowd, and a freelance news photographer had his camera stolen amid the protest.

"These events marked a change in the protesters from peaceful to more aggressive behavior," Davis said.

He said a demonstration Thursday evening grew even more heated, with protesters blocking traffic again. This time, some protesters stopped cars and broke windows. Davis said his department was flooded with 911 calls reporting the disturbances stemming from those Thursday night protests.

Since the shooting of Olango, civil rights leaders, including Rev. Shane Harris of the San Diego chapter of the National Action Network, have pushed for police and the District Attorney's office to release the full video of the incident, saying the single still image of Olango initially released by the ECPD does not tell the full story and, in Harris' words, serves to "shape the narrative" of the police department.

Recently, Dumanis issued new protocols for the disclosure of officer-involved shooting video evidence in San Diego. The new practice states agencies will release video "as soon as it’s appropriate to do so."

Photo Credit: El Cajon Police Department
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Woman Charged With DUI After Driving to Wallingford Police Dept.


A drunk Wallingford woman drove to the police station with her four year old child in the car to report that she was being followed, police said. 

Marisa Lemme, 34, was arrested on Thursday and charged with driving under the influence and risk of injury to a minor. 

Lemme called the police department at 6 p.m. on Thursday to report that she was being followed and was told to come to the station on Main Street., police said. 

Police stopped the car Lemme said was following her and the driver said he was following the woman because she was driving erratically, according to Wallingford Police. 

At the station, Lemme was asked to perform field sobriety tests and failed.

Her bond was set at $2,500 and she is expected to appear in court on Oct. 11. 

Photo Credit: Wallingford Police

Rainbows Shine Before, After Arnold Palmer's Funeral


Arnold Palmer’s family spread his ashes at his country club in Pennsylvania on Thursday and locals took solace in several rainbows, which they said reminded them of the golf great. 

Palmer died on Sept. 25 due to heart complications. His former assistant Doc Giffin said that a rainbow appeared at 9:55 a.m. at Latrobe Country Club, one hour before his intimate funeral.  

Steelers Radio Network host Gerry Dulac tweeted a photo snapped by a friend to commemorate the moment.

“When Arnold Palmer wants to play through, you let him,” Dulac said in the caption. 

That wasn't the only rainbow connection on that day. At 3:50 p.m., Duane Stein captured another image of a rainbow, this time framing Palmer’s statue where he works at Laurel Valley Golf Club, in Ligonier, about 11 miles southeast of Latrobe.

The photo he shared on social media was unfiltered and unedited, as Stein isn’t especially tech-savvy, he said.

"It’s a moment you’ll never forget," Stein said. "Kind of like he was looking down on us."

He was one of many to pull out a phone and flash a pic there.

Chris Mcknight, head golf professional at Laurel Valley, took a nearly identical image to Stein's that was shared on Twitter by the Tri-State PGA as an homage to Palmer. 

Photo Credit: Duane Stein

Officer Slams Suspect's Head Into Windshield, Cracking Glass


A man suing a northeast Ohio police department alleges his rights were violated by an officer who slammed his head into a cruiser's windshield with enough force to crack the glass.

Dashcam video of the September 2014 arrest, obtained by NBC affiliate WKYC, shows 32-year-old Pele Smith, being escorted to the patrol car by four Loraine police officers while handcuffed. Smith's head then violently hits the windshield. The glass cracks from the impact.

"Why are you doing this to me?" Smith is heard saying as he is held on the car’s hood.

He was treated at Mercy Regional Medical Center for facial injuries, WKYC reported.

Smith was later charged with "tampering with evidence, obstructing official business and resisting arrest. In a plea deal with prosecutors, Smith pleaded guilty and received probation," according to court records WKYC reviewed.

Last month, Smith filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city and several officers.

In his lawsuit, Smith says that Lorain Officer Zachary Ferenec, who was walking Smith to the cruiser and pushed him into the windshield, used excessive force during a 2014 arrest that he claims was warrantless.

"It’s unbelievable. It’s sad. It’s frightening that an individual while in handcuffs has something like that happen to them,” Mark Petroff, an attorney representing Smith, told WKYC.

Smith also alleges that three other Lorain officers at the scene did not intervene and that one of the officers, identified in the lawsuit as Michael Gidich, got in the back of Ferenec’s cruiser and “began to taunt and insult the bleeding [Smith]” while being transported in the patrol car for treatment.

The video does not show the beginning of the traffic stop.

Lorain police Capt. Roger Watkins said Smith swallowed suspected drugs and struggled with officers during the arrest, The Associated Press reported. He says the slamming of Smith's head into the windshield was unintentional.

In a statement, Lorain Police Chief Cel Rivera said "During the arrest and Mr. Smith’s active resistance, he was placed on the hood of the police unit to gain control and conduct a search, as per policy." Rivera called Smith a "violent drug trafficker" and said the cautioned "observers to not rush to judgment relative to the actions of the police on scene."

But according to the Lorain County Clerk of Courts website, Smith has no felony convictions for violent crimes. He has prior convictions for drug offenses and possessing a firearm.

WKYC says it has requested all records associated with Smith’s arrest and any subsequent internal investigations. Lorain police have not provided any records related to the incident, the station says.

Photo Credit: WKYC

Man Dies in Police Confrontation


A large crowd of demonstrators shut down the streets of Pasadena on Friday, as police release the 911 calls and surveillance video in the incident of a man who died after a confrontation with officers.

The protesters, many carrying signs, marched on streets, bringing traffic to a halt at some intersections in Old Town Pasadena.

They came out after the girlfriend of the man who died demanded answers, claiming officers used excessive force when they restrained him.

The man's girlfriend, Shanie Lindsey, identified him as 36-year-old Reginald "J.R." Thomas. 

"I'm hurt, disgusted, disappointed and just upset," Lindsey said.

Pasadena police received a call reporting a family disturbance around 2 a.m. Friday, said Capt. Steven Katz of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau. 

Then they received a second call around 2:35 a.m., and were told that a man had a knife and a fire extinguisher. Authorities said the caller identified the man, and that they heard a struggle during the call.

Although investigators do not know who made the calls, they believe both were made by the same person. Katz noted detectives were working to identify who that caller was.

Police were able to trace the second call to an apartment, and responded to the 200 block of East Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena, according to authorities.

When Pasadena police officers arrived, they attempted to detain Thomas to take him into custody, and "he struggled with the officers," Katz said. Police used a Taser and non-lethal force, and restrained him with handcuffs and ankle restraints.

Surveillance video from the complex shows officers rushing across the courtyard of the apartment where Thomas was visiting his family.

Officers noticed Thomas was no longer breathing and removed all of his restraints and started performing CPR, according to authorities. Pasadena Fire paramedics "took over life saving efforts," before Thomas eventually died, Katz said.

Lindsey believes officers used excessive force on her boyfriend, who she says was mentally ill.

"They knew he was disabled, they knew he was bipolar, they knew he was on social security, and they still killed him," she said.

Lindsey said Thomas called police claiming someone was in their apartment, and said he was holding a knife in one hand and a fire extinguisher in the other when police arrived.

Officers told him to drop both items and used a Taser twice when he did not, according to Lindsey. Then, Thomas got up and slammed the door on the officers.

"They busted through the door and they wrestled him down to the ground, they started kicking him and beating him with the stick, and then they start tying him up," Lindsey said. "And that was it, and they told us to get out."

Los Angeles County Sheriff investigators are investigating the circumstances of his death, and Katz noted that there were six detectives at the scene Friday around 11 a.m., adding that the investigation was in its "infancy."

Two officers were also injured during the confrontation, Katz said.

Police had not identified the man as of 12:30 p.m. Friday.

Anyone with information about this investigation was encouraged to call the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department's Information Bureau at 213-229-1700.

Photo Credit: Shanie Lindsey

Phila. Orchestra Goes on Strike


Musicians of the Philadelphia Orchestra went on strike Friday evening, minutes after they were scheduled to perform for an Opening Night gala at the Kimmel Center.

The vote took place inside the performance center shortly before the event's 7 p.m. start time. Carrying signs and, for some, instruments, the musicians loudly made their way through the the center to Broad Street where they began to picket.

A few of the musicians played their instruments as concert attendees filed out of the the hall.

In a statement, the Philadelphia Orchestra Musicians said the strike is not a "greedy search for ever more money," but rather a stand for fair compensation.

"Over the past nine years, we have endured multiple cuts to our wages, pension, and working conditions in the hopes that our sacrifices would give the Association time to rebuild and restore us to our proper status," the statement read in part.

The Philadelphia Orchestra filed for bankruptcy protection in 2011 and emerged a year later. The 116-year-old institution is one of America's oldest and most acclaimed orchestras.

Musicians were working on a one-year contract that recently expired. They continued to work as negotiations continued, but those talks broke down Friday.

Under the orchestra's offer, musician's annual base salary would have been $127,608 a year with two percent increases for three years. A profit sharing fund would also have been created, officials said.

The musicians union said they are compensated much less than players in comparable ensembles like the Boston Symphony Orchestra and San Francisco Symphony.

"If a talented musician has to decide between auditioning for Philadelphia or Boston or San Francisco, which orchestra will they choose?" the group wrote. "We can no longer remain silent while we continue in a downward spiral."

Earlier Friday, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra went on strike after rejecting a proposed 15 percent pay cut and pension and staffing reductions.

The Philadelphia Orchestra's weekend performances have been canceled. Contract negotiations are expected to resume on Monday.

Photo Credit: Philadelphia Orchestra Musicians
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Groton Woman Accused of Sexually Assaulting 14-Year-Old


A Groton woman is accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old, police said. 

Dawn Kerr was arrested on Friday following a month-long investigation. 

The 34-year-old was known to the victim and the assault took place over the summer at her residence, Groton Police said. 

Kerr was charged with second-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor. 

Her bond was set at $50,000. 

The investigation is ongoing. 

Photo Credit: Groton Police

New State Laws Taking Effect October 1


Dozens of bills passed during this year’s legislative session take effect Saturday.

Phony school threats were one issue addressed by legislators this year.

“This is becoming such a big problem. You’ve seen school systems shut their entire school systems down for days,” said Deputy Police Chief Brian Foley.

Now those found guilty of making a threat intended to cause a school evacuation during school hours could go to prison for up to ten years. Pardons can be granted to those under 18, but police said these threats often come from overseas and are intended to cause fear in the school system.

State Senator Tony Hwang was a champion for tougher punishments.

“This is not a practical joke. It is not funny. The implications and traumas that you cause in these kinds of threats are so devastating.”

Minors suffering from certain illnesses will also have access to prescription medical marijuana. The president of the Connecticut Epilepsy Advocate says the cannabis oil is often the final option for some young patients.

Patients under 18 can register if they have conditions including Cerebral Palsy, Cystic Fibrosis, irreversible spinal cord injury with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity, severe epilepsy, a terminal illness requiring end-of-life care or uncontrolled intractable seizure disorder.

The Connecticut Humane Society hopes a pair of laws focused on our four-legged friends will make it easier to prosecute animal abusers.

“We’ve looked at the success rate of prosecution in the state of CT and it is not very good,” said Gordon Willard, the Executive Director of the Connecticut Humane Society.

Law students will serve as animal advocates in court cases and the penalty for repeat offenders will be bumped up to ten years in prison.

Other new laws that take effect on Saturday are tougher penalties for ATV drivers operating illegally and more access to experimental drugs for terminally ill patients.

For a full list of the new laws and details on each of them, visit the Connecticut General Assembly website.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Manchester Police Seek Armed Robbery Suspects


Manchester police are looking for two suspects that robbed a gas station at gunpoint Saturday morning.

According to police, two masked males reportedly entered the Sunoco Gas Station at 330 Tolland Turnpike around 4:30 a.m. Saturday. The showed handguns and robbed the store clerk of an undisclosed among of money then took off, police said.

No injuries were reported.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact Manchester police at (860) 645-5510.

Photo Credit: Manchester Police Department

Suspect Tried to Break Into Shop by Backing Into Door: PD


Connecticut State police said a suspect driving pickup tried to break into a motorcycle shop in Andover by backing into the garage door.

According to police, a red Dodge pickup backed up into the garage door at X Pro Motorcycles at 5 Bunker Hill Road early Saturday morning. Police said the truck has rear end damage and a broken left tail light from the incident.

The shop was also significantly damaged.

Anyone with information or who spots the suspect vehicle is asked to contact Troop K at (860) 465-5400.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

East Windsor Gas Station Closed Due to Fuel Spill


The Sunoco Gas Station on Route 5 in East Windsor is closed while crews work to clean up a fuel spill.

Police said the Warehouse Point Fire Department is on scene waiting for environmental services to assist. 

The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection confirmed they were aware of the spill and that it was a small amount of gasoline. They were not responding.

It is unclear what caused the spill or how long it will take to clean up. Traffic on Route 5 is not affected, police said.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: East Windsor Police Department

22-Year-Old Killed in Old Saybrook Accident Friday Night


A 22-year-old woman was killed in a car accident in Old Saybrook Friday night.

Police said they responded around 10:40 p.m. to an accident at the intersection of the Middlesex Turnpike and Bokum Road. When officers arrived on scene they tried to pull the driver from the vehicle, which was on fire, but despite their efforts the driver was pronounced dead.

The victim has not been identified pending notification of her family.

Two officers were taken to Middlesex Medical Center Shoreline for treatment of injuries they got trying to free the driver. They were treated and released.

Police said it appears the vehicle was traveling north on Middlesex Turnpike and struck a tree at the intersection of Bokum Road. The cause of the accident is under investigation.

No other vehicles were involved and the driver had no passengers, police said.

The road was closed for about five hours while the accident reconstruction team investigated. Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to contact police at (860) 395-3142.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Hartford Firefighters Rescue Woman From Burning Home


Hartford firefighters pulled a woman from a burning home on Sherbrooke Avenue early Saturday morning.

Fire official said they responded around 1:45 a.m. to 58 Sherbrooke Ave. Officials said when they arrived they had to rescue a 47-year-old woman from the building. The victim was taken to the Bridgeport Hospital Burn Unit for treatment.

Officials said she was unresponsive at the time of the rescue and her current condition is unknown. She has not been identified.

According to fire officials, a total of eight people – four adults and four children – live in the multi-family home and were relocated as a result of the fire.

The cause of the fire is under investigation but it appears to have started in the kitchen on the first floor.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Va. Teen Accused of Stealing Milk Carton at School to Stand Trial


A Prince William County, Virginia, teen is headed to court after being charged in a dispute over a carton of milk, according to the Washington Post.

Ryan Turk, 14, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and petit larceny after being accused of stealing a 65-cent carton of milk and pushing a school resource officer. The incident occurred at Graham Park Middle School on May 10.

Turk said he forgot to get his milk the first time through the lunch line and just went back to grab it, the Post reports. He said as a recipient of free lunches at the school, he felt he was just doing what he did every day.

Authorities told the Post that a school resource officer saw Turk take the milk and accused him of stealing it. When the student did not cooperate with a trip to see the principal, he was arrested and charged.

"No one needs to be punished for stealing a 65-cent carton of milk," Emmett Robinson, the family's attorney told the Post. "This officer treats kids like they’re criminals, and guess what happens — they’re going to become criminals."

Shamise Turk, Ryan’s mother, alleges Ryan was discriminated against and targeted because he is a black teenager who didn’t want to go with the officer, who she said was being unfair, according to the Post. The officer and principal involved are also black.

Phil Kavits, a Prince William County schools spokesman, said that he could not comment on the specifics of the incident but that it is not a race-related issue, noting "all the key parties involved, including the principal and the police officer, are African-American.”

"The staff members are well known in our highly diverse community for their dedication and caring approach to all students,” Kavits added.

The Washington Post generally does not identify minors charged with misdemeanor crimes, but Ryan Turk and his family opted to speak publicly to bring attention to the matter.

Photo Credit: AP

Philly Officers Fired 109 Shots at Stabbing Spree Suspect


Philadelphia police officers fired 109 shots at a Cobbs Creek father who went on a stabbing spree in his neighborhood Wednesday night.

The sheer number of rounds that whizzed down a residential street concerns the department's top brass, Commissioner Richard Ross said Friday.

A number of bullets sprayed two homes at the intersection of Cobbs Creek Parkway and Webster Street. They also took down 32-year-old Christopher Sowell.

Police said Sowell snapped Wednesday evening, choked his daughter, stabbed his young son and a friend and then assaulted a woman and slit the throat of a elderly neighbor after barging into her home. All victims remain hospitalized, Ross said. The three stabbing victims remain in critical condition.

Nine officers opened fire on Sowell, whose daughter believed he under the influence of drugs, after he walked out of the neighbor's home and failed to listen to their commands, according to investigators. The medical examiner has not yet said how many times Sowell was hit.

The standard service weapon for Philadelphia officers is a Glock handgun. Depending on the caliber of the bullet, the gun can fire up to 17 rounds before needing a new magazine.

Investigators said police thought Sowell was pulling a gun from his pocket when they opened fire. The initial dispatch information they received reported that the children had been shot, not stabbed, Ross said.

"They had every reason to believe that he was armed with a gun because even the officers who broadcasted that they were headed to the hospital with the victims, they believed the children were shot," Ross said.

A weapon was not found on or around Sowell's body, but a cell phone was.

Danny Sowell, a man alleging to be Christopher Sowell's brother in a Facebook post, admonished police for killing him and the media for describing the man in a negative light.

"My brother is not no killer, he not no menace...he a teddy bear. He'd do anything for you," Danny Sowell wrote in a post. "He just got on some bad s--t, man."

No one else on the block was injured by gunfire, but another resident being hurt by friendly fire is central to Ross' worry.

He said officers could have fallen victim to "contagious shooting" -- where they followed each other in discharging their weapons.

"Other officers hear that gun fire and they believe they are under fire. And they return fire. And in this case firing multiple times," Ross said.

Ross said there may be a training issue that needs to be addressed.

The officers who opened fire have not yet spoken to Internal Affairs investigators about what transpired. The department carries out an investigation every time an officer uses their service weapon.

The officers involved were identified as: Anthony Britton, a 17 year veteran; Jeremy Olesik, a 9 year veteran; Michael Kane, Jr., a 9 year veteran; Thomas Thompson, a 1 year veteran; Walton Scott, a 2 year veteran; Ronald Green, a 19 year veteran; Adrian Hustler, a 9 year veteran; Richard Edwards, a 8 year veteran; and Timothy Moebius, a 3 year veteran.

The department is currently undertaking reality-based training where officers are put in a number of real-world scenarios to see how they react. Ross said 1,000 officers have gone through the program and it specifically focuses on "contagious shooting."

"They have to maintain their ability to hold their gunfire while the officer next to them is firing simultaneously," Ross said.

A dual investigation into the stabbing and the police-involved shooting are ongoing.

Photo Credit: NBC10
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Aleppo Hospital Hit by Barrel Bombs, Nurse Say


Bombs knocked out one of besieged Aleppo's last remaining hospitals Saturday, a nurse inside the facility told NBC News.

Abo Rajab said two crudely made barrel bombs hit M10 — one in front of the hospital and other behind — at 11 a.m. (4 a.m. ET). Within two hours at least one cluster bomb struck the facility, he said.

While there were no casualties, all the patients had to be evacuated, Rajab said by telephone.

A worker with the Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) reported a similar attack. NBC News was not able to independently confirm the separate accounts but they appeared consistent.

Russian-made cluster bombs — weapons that kill indiscriminately and inflict long-lasting damage — were used in an attack on the same hospital earlier this week, a video obtained by NBC News appeared to show.

Photo Credit: NBC News

19-Year-Old Reported Missing from Ellington Found Safe


Connecticut State police said they have located the 19-year old woman who was the subject of a Silver Alert Saturday. 

Sara Magnanini had been missing since September 28 and police were concerned because she was in need of medication.  On Saturday afternoon police said she had been found and that she was safe.

More information was not available.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Hartford Hosts 6th Annual Community Health and Wellness Fair


Over a thousand people attended the 6th Annual Community Health and Wellness Fair in Hartford Saturday.

The fair, located at the Simpson-Waverly Classical Magnet School, offered free health screenings and services from physicians, pharmacists and nutritionists from Hartford Hospital, Saint Francis Hospital, UConn Hospitals, and several Hartford city agencies.

It is the city’s largest community health fair. The event also boasted beauty treatments, Zumba classes, massages from licensed massage therapists, and arts and crafts for children.

The free event is meant to promote healthy living and is open to the public every year.

Photo Credit: Andrea Austin-Thompson

Woman Arrested with 45 Cloned Credit Cards: Police


Clinton police have arrested a woman accused of making illegal copies of credit cards.

Kumarie Patel, 27, of Far Rockaway, New York, faces 45 counts of unlawful reproduction of a credit card, 11 counts of illegal use of a credit card, third-degree larceny and second-degree forgery.

According to police, Patel was shopping at the Clinton Crossings on Friday using multiple fake credit cards. Workers reported that if a card was declined, Patel just pulled another from a stack of cards, which they found suspicious.

Police said when they caught up with Patel as she left the Clinton Crossings, she had 45 cloned credit cards on her and a fake New Jersey license. According to police, the fake license matched the name on the fake credit cards, but the number on the cards did not match the information stored in their magnetic strips.

Police said Patel had merchandise and receipts in her car from various malls in the Tri-state area as well as $2,800 worth in merchandise and gift cards from Clinton Crossing.

Patel was released on a $20,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Middletown Superior Court on October 10.

Photo Credit: Clinton Police Department

Matthew Threatens Haiti, Jamaica


Hurricane Matthew remains a powerful Category 4 storm as it moves away from the Colombian coast and churns north through the Caribbean Sea. A 5 a.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center said Matthew was moving north-northwest at 5 mph with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph. The storm will continue in this direction Sunday and reach Jamaica, Haiti and parts of Cuba by Monday, forecasters say.

Areas of southwestern Haiti and Jamaica will feel the effects of Matthew as early as late Sunday evening. A Hurricane Warning is in effect for Jamaica and portions of Haiti, from its southern border with the Dominican Republic to Le Mole St. Nicholas. Overnight, the government of Cuba also issued a Hurricane Warning for the provinces of Guantanamo, Santiago de Cuba, Holguin, Granma, and Las Tunas.

The government of the Bahamas, meanwhile, issued a Hurricane Watch for the Turks and Caicos Islands and the southeastern Bahamas, including the Inaguas, Mayaguana, Acklins, Crooked Island, and Long Cay.

Areas of Haiti can expect 15 to 25 inches of rain with isolated spots up to 40 inches. Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Cuba can expect 10 to 20 inches of rain with isolated spots 25 inches. This means life-threatening flash flooding and mud slides are possible. 

[[395508581, C]]

The situation must continue to be monitored for areas of South Florida and elsewhere along the Eastern Seaboard as high amount of uncertainty remain in the forecast beyond day 3. The positive for South Florida comes in the shifting of the cone, although it is not completely in the clear. Hurricane force wind chances for Miami and Fort Lauderdale have been reduced to 2 percent and 3 percent, respectively. 

The NHC says some fluctuations in intensity are possible this weekend, but Matthew is expected to remain a powerful hurricane through Monday. It's the strongest hurricane in the Atlantic since Felix in 2007.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live