Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Child Crashes Into FedEx Building While Mom Gets Massage


A 10-year-old child ran a car into a building in Orange while his mother was getting a massage, police said.

Last Saturday, Rise Burrow and her child had visited a massage center in the same plaza the FedEx building on 400 Boston Post Road is located.

While Burrows was still inside the massage center, the child asked to wait in the car and the 36-year-old mother gave them the keys, police said.

The 10-year-old got into the mother's car, started it and put it in reverse. The child jumped out of the car when it began to move, Orange Police said.

The car jumped onto the curb and backed into the FedEx building leaving the structure with slight damage, according to police. 

Burrow, of Guilford, was charged with risk of injury and leaving a child under the age of 12 in a motor vehicle. Her bond was set at $5,000 and she is expected to appear in court on Oct. 17. 

No injuries were reported. 

US Blames Russia for Political Hacks to Influence Election


U.S. homeland security officials said Friday they are confident Russia's government is behind recent hacks of American political organizations' email systems.

"These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the US election process. Such activity is not new to Moscow," said the statement from the Department of Homeland Security and the office of the Director of National Intelligence on Election Security.

The statement says that "only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized" hacks that resulted in documents posted on sites like WikiLeaks and DCLeaks.com, given "the scope and sensitivity of these efforts." But it stopped short of saying the Russian Government was responsible for the recent scanning and probing of American states' election systems.

Thousands of hacked Democratic National Committee emails were posted online this summer, upending the party's primary and convention, as the emails appeared to show some officials throwing their support behind Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders. Party Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz eventually resigned over the uproar.

The intelligence officials said in their statement Friday that Moscow has used similar tactics to influence public opinion in Europe and Asia.

The White House had asked a special intelligence task force to examine the implications of recent hacks, NBC News reported in August.

Congressman Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committe, applauded the Obama administration's statement.

"All of us should be gravely concerned when a foreign power like Russia seeks to undermine our democratic institutions, and we must do everything in our power to guard against it," he said in a statement Friday.

A spokesman for Russian president Vladimir Putin called the hacking allegations nonsense.

Photo Credit: Fairfax Media via Getty Images

12-Year-Old Issued Summons Over New Britain Clown Threat


A 12-year-old was issued a juvenile summons for his connection to clown threats targeting the New Britain school district. 

The boy was charged with breach of peace and two counts of harassment.

Several other middle school students, plus the boy charged, created clown posts on social media that were harassing and threatening to harm at least three New Britain schools this week, New Britain police said. 

Additional arrests are expected, Capt. Thomas Steck said. 

The boy was released to his parents and is expected to appear in court.

On Thursday, school officials in New Britain are in contact with police over creepy clown social media posts and said there will be an extra police presence in all neighborhoods to ensure students feel safe walking to and from school.

“Our staff is responding quickly to all possible threats that are brought forward,” Supt. Nancy Sarra said in a statement.

Sarra urged that students intending to bring weapons to school to protect themselves need to understand that it is a violation of the school district’s rules to bringing weapons to school.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Trump in '05: A Star 'Can Do Anything' to Women


Donald Trump has come under fire after a decade-old recording of the Republican nominee bragging that he can do anything he wants to women because he is famous surfaced Friday, NBC News reported.

In the 2005 recording obtained by NBC News from "Access Hollywood," Trump, then newly married to Melania Trump, discusses wooing a married woman and says he needs mints in case he kisses a woman he sees.

"I'm automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them, it's like a magnet," Trump tell then "Access Hollywood" anchor Billy Bush.

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything… Grab 'em by the p-," Trump continued.

Access Hollywood is owned and distributed by NBCUniversal, the parent company of NBC News and MSNBC.

Trump, who has criticized Hillary Clinton's husband for his infidelity, offered an apology in a statement released after the story was published, adding, "This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago."

Bush released a statement after the tape was released: “Obviously I’m embarrassed and ashamed. It's no excuse, but this happened eleven years ago - I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry."

Photo Credit: Getty Images, File
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

State Cites Norwalk Home Day Care Under Investigation for Baby's Death


The State’s Office of Early Childhood has taken emergency action and suspended the child care provider license for the Norwalk home family day care under investigation following the death of a 4-month-old baby girl.

Christine Limone, the daughter of Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling, has not been charged with a crime. State Police Western District Major Crime detectives are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the infant’s death on Wednesday afternoon.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said the autopsy of the baby girl is pending further study, meaning it could take up to eight more weeks until the cause and manner of death are determined.

NBC Connecticut obtained several past inspection reports from the Office of Early Childhood that reveal the state cited the day care for several violations this year.

The reports indicate Limone moved her home family day care to 9 Hunters Lane in August 2015.

On March 22 of this year, the Division of Licensing issued a notice of over-capacity after an unannounced inspection.

Limone’s license only allows her to care for six children total; two under the age of two. But the inspector found seven children at the home and three were under the age of two, according to the reports.

The notice Limone received said “You failed to demonstrate good judgment about the supervision and safety for children when you failed to maintain your licensed capacity."

In the corrective action plan for her license, Limone wrote, “My assistant had an emergency which left me with 3 under 2, this was corrected when called a parent to pick up a child.”

The inspector who visited the day care in March also noted that the “provider slammed doors and used obscenities during walk through of upstairs of her home.”

A follow-up inspection in May found several hazardous violations, such as uncovered electrical outlets, a stairway with no gate and the water was hotter than the state considers acceptable.

On Wednesday afternoon at 1:31 pm, police and EMS personnel responded to the home day care because a 4-month-old baby girl was not breathing. She was rushed to Norwalk Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

State Police investigators are handing the investigation into the baby’s death at the request of Norwalk Police. The baby’s name has not been released.

On Thursday, Limone’s child care license was suspended and an administrative hearing is scheduled for Oct. 13 in Hartford.

NBC Connecticut has also reached out to Mayor Rilling multiple times, but he has not responded.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

82-Year-Old Manchester Man Missing


A Silver Alert has been issued for an elderly man in Manchester.

Melvin Berman, 82, was last seen earlier on Friday.

His son told NBC Connecticut that Berman had an appointment at 9:30 in the morning at Libery Tax on Friday.

At 3 p.m., when he didn't come home, his wife called their son. Berman's son said Liberty Tax was closed when he went to check it out.

The 82-year-old man had an appointment at the doctors for his heart at 3:30 p.m., but the office told the Berman family that the man never made it in. 

Berman is described as being a white man at 5'7" with brown eyes and shoulder length white hair, weighing 140 pounds.

He was last seen wearing a striped blue and red buttondown, jeans and New Balance sneakers.  He also has a noticable scar on forehead by eyebrow.

Berman is on medication that he did not take on Friday. 

Anyone with information is asked to call Manchester Police at (860) 645-5500.

Photo Credit: Berman Family

NSA Leak Mystery Not Solved With Arrest of Hal Martin


U.S. intelligence officials are investigating the possibility that recent leaks of sensitive National Security Agency hacking tools did not stem from the alleged theft of classified materials by a Pentagon contractor whose arrest was made public this week.

Current and former U.S. officials briefed on the matter told NBC News that investigators so far have found no evidence that Harold T. Martin III, a Maryland resident who was charged with taking home reams of documents from his top secret job inside the NSA, sold or distributed the material. They haven't ruled it out, however, and they are looking into whether his home computers could have been hacked.

Still, officials say they are examining other possibilities to explain the recent leaks, which seem to have originated well after Edward Snowden began his forced exile in Russia three years ago. A defense attorney told The Associated Press Martin did not intend to betray his country.

Photo Credit: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Image

Police Identify Victim Killed in New Hartford Crash


State police have identified the man killed in a three-car accident on Route 202 in New Hartford Friday. Police have also identified a woman who was seriously injured in the crash.

The accident occurred on the Litchfield Turnpike at 6:35 p.m.

Police have identified the deceased driver of one vehicle as Bruce Anderson, 70, of Glastonbury.

Another driver, identified as Janelle Sara Mattson, 20, of Winsted was transported to Hartford Hospital via LifeStar for serious injuries.

The driver and passengers of a third vehicle were sent to the hospital via ambulance for minor injuries.

The road was closed for almost five hours while police investigated the crash but is now open.

Police say the accident remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Email Leak Appears to Reveal Clinton's Wall Street Speeches


Hillary Clinton apparently told a group of Latin American bankers in 2013 that she envisions a "hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders," according to purportedly hacked emails from Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta released Friday by WikiLeaks.

The Clinton campaign said Friday they "are not going to confirm the authenticity of stolen documents," though Podesta acknowledged on Twitter that he had been hacked. However, he suggested some emails may be "faked," echoing a claim Democrats made about previous disclosures of hacked emails by WikiLeaks, the transparency organization.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Radar Shows Birds in Hurricane Eye


Meteorologists say radars are showing birds flying inside the eye of Hurricane Matthew, apparently taking refuge from the storm's winds. 

The center of the swirling hurricane was showing "biological returns, probably birds," according to meteorologist Jeff Last.

One Atlanta meteorologist said on air: "Those are seagulls and birds that are flying inside the eye of the storm, trying to escpae the strongest part of the storm which is in the north and northeastern center of it." 

Winds are calm in the eye of the hurricane, USA Today reports.  

The newspaper cites bird expert Kenn Kaufman, who explains: "The birds get into the end of the hurricane's spiral and they move toward the eye of the hurricane. They may not necessarily do that in any organized way; more likely they’re out there in all this wild wind and when they chance into the calm of the eye they may make an effort to stay there and travel with it rather than fighting the winds again."

A slightly weakened Hurricane Matthew was continuing to pound northern Florida and crawl up the Atlantic coast Friday

Photo Credit: NOAA
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Watertown High School Teacher Arrested for Touching Students


A Watertown High School teacher has been arrested for allegedly inappropriately touching two students, police said.

Sixty-one-year-old Stanley Mikrut, of Southbury, was arrested on Friday for two counts of fourth-degree sexual assault and two counts of disorderly conduct.

Police said the touching happened between November 2015 and June 2016 and occurred during school.

Investigators say the teens, who are under the age of 18, reported it to the school at the end of last week and the district immediately reported it to police and Department of Children and Families.

Watertown Public Schools said in a statement that Mikrut was put on administrative leave immediately.

The school said they are cooperating with the Department of Children and Families and Watertown law enforcement.

Mikrut has been a teacher in Watertown for 15 years.

The teacher was released on a $25,000 bond and is expected to appear in court on Oct. 18.

The investigation is ongoing.

Photo Credit: Watertown Police

Groton Man Arrested on Drug, Gun Charges


The Regional Community Task Force and Groton police have arrested a man on drug and gun charges after executing a search warrant Friday.

Anthony Smith, 33, of Groton, faces multiple charges including possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of crack cocaine with intent to sell, criminal possession of a firearm and risk of injury to a minor.

Groton police said officers executed a search warrant at Smith’s home located at 1213 Gold Star Highway in Groton. According to police, the task force discovered fentanyl and crack cocaine packaged for sale, two handguns, and other items for packaging and the sale of drugs.

The firearms and drugs were found in an area that could have been accessed by a 5-year-old child and an infant who live in the home.

Groton police encourage anyone with information about illegal drug sales in the region to contact local law enforcement, The Regional Community Enforcement Task Force, or the Statewide Narcotics Task Force.

Photo Credit: Groton Police Department

New Haven Police Investigate Fatal Motorcycle Accident


New Haven police are investigating a fatal motorcycle accident on Whalley Avenue overnight.

Police confirmed a male motorcyclist died of injuries sustained in the crash.

More information was not immediately available. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Marathon Runner Shares Story of Survival


Saturday’s Eversource Hartford Marathon drew 17,000 runners from all 50 states.

Among them was a Madison woman who, by her own account, defied death and beat the odds to be at the starting line.

“Five years ago today I got up for work,” Colleen Alexander recalled.

It was a Saturday, but Alexander was called in unexpectedly for a meeting. She always rode her bike to work at PeaceJam in Guilford, and this day was no different. Halfway through her 12 mile trip back home tragedy struck.

“A truck blew a stop sign and ran over me,” said Alexander.

Alexander spent five-and-a-half weeks in a coma and had 30 reconstructive surgeries. During her recovery the former triathlete picked up a new passion: running.

“I really always hated running, cause running’s just not easy. When I learned that I might never walk again, let alone run, that’s all I wanted to do,” laughed Alexander.

She entered her first marathon with a hand crank bike. Then, she finished several half marathons with the help of a walker. Saturday’s race in Hartford was her first attempt to run the entire half marathon distance. It came on the five-year anniversary of her accident.

“She’s an inspiration to me for her perseverance and strength, for going through everything that she’s been through. She’s just such a light to everybody,” said husband Sean.

Alexander carried the American Red Cross flag during the race, one of 21 charities designated to benefit from this year’s Hartford Marathon. A former CPR instructor, Alexander’s involvement with American Red Cross goes back decades.

“To learn that those same things that I used to teach, the same skill sets are literally what saved my life, you know those hands on my sternum giving me those compressions,” said Alexander.

“That’s what this is about. Spend money in the community, help the community, and then run for a cause much bigger than yourself,” said Hartford Marathon Foundation Director Beth Shluger.

Her journey to the finish line has been long and painful, but Alexander hopes her story helps others find a reason to run, the courage to fight, and the inspiration to give back.

“Life changes in a heartbeat and so moments like these are just ones that we want to embrace and cherish,” she said.

“She fought for her life to be here and I’m so grateful that we’re here to celebrate,” her husband added.

Sean said the pair crossed the finish line in just under three hours.

The Hartford Marathon draws thousands of participants, volunteers and spectators to the Greater Hartford area and brings millions of dollars to the local economy. For more information on the race and other Hartford Marathon Foundation events, visit their website.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Body Found Inside Burning Car in Milford: Fire Officials


Authorities are investigating after a body was found inside a burning car in Milford Friday night, according to the fire department.

Fire officials said firefighters responded to a reported car fire at 1 Milford Point Road around 10:30 p.m. When crews arrived on scene they found a passenger car fully involved in fire near the Connecticut Audubon Society Building.

When crews put out the flames they found a body in the passenger seat of the car, fire officials said.

Milford Police, the Milford Fire Marshal, Connecticut State Police Fire & Explosion Unit and the State Medical Examiner’s office are all investigating.

The victim has yet to be identified. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/File
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Groton Police Make 2nd Arrest in Shooting Outside Restaurant


Groton police have arrested a second 17-year-old suspect in connection with the shooting of another teen outside a restaurant Sunday, October 2.

The suspect, who has not been identified because of his age, is charged with conspiracy to commit robbery, accessory to robbery, accessory to assault, and robbery.

Police said that on Sunday around 4:30 p.m. they received a reports of a shooting from employees at the 99 Restaurant at 117 Long Hill Road. When officers arrived at the scene they found a 17-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Earlier this week Groton police arrested another 17-year-old accused in this case.

The victim was taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital, then transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital for emergency surgery.

Police said this was not a random act of violence and those involved were not connected to the restaurant.

More arrests are expected in this case, police said.

Anyone with information on this crime is encouraged to call the Groton Police Department at (860) 441-6712.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Mom Killed, Young Daughter Injured in Meriden Hit and Run


A mother was killed and her 7-year-old daughter injured when they were struck by a car in Meriden on Friday night. 

At 10:34 p.m., Meriden Police were called to the intersection of Springdale Avenue and Lewis Avenue for reports of a serious motor vehicle accident. 

Responding officers found one 40-year-old woman suffering from life-threatening injuries and her daughter who also had some injuries, police said. The woman was transported to Midstate Hospital for treatment.

On Saturday, police confirmed the woman had died of her injuries. She has not been identified at this time.

Witnesses on scene described a red car -possibly a Nissan- with tinted windows having fled from the scene, according to police.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at (203) 630-6215.

Woman Dies of Gunshot Wound in Danbury Home: Police


A 31-year-old woman died after being found suffering from a gunshot wound in a Danbury home, police said.

Danbury police said they responded to a home at 26 South Street around 1:30 p.m. Saturday for reports of shots fired. When officers arrived they found the female victim suffering from a gunshot wound.

The victim was pronounced dead on scene. She has not been publicly identified at this time.

More details of the incident were not immediately available.

Danbury police are investigating. Anyone with information is asked to contact the TIPS line at (203) 790-8477.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Commuter Train Derails in NY


A Long Island Rail Road train derailed in New Hyde Park Saturday night, injuring 33 people.

Of the 33 injured, seven were employees and the rest were commuters, MTA Chairman Thomas F. Prendergast said in a news conference Sunday morning. Four were seriously injured, with one person sent to have surgery yesterday and another with broken bones.  

Gov. Andrew Cuomo had earlier said there were 600 people on the train and that the worst of the injuries were broken bones.

"The train is seriously off the tracks," he said at the press conference. "It's in a dangerous, precarious position."

An eastbound commuter train sideswiped a work train traveling in the same direction at about 9:10 p.m., causing the commuter train to derail and the work train to catch fire, according to Nassau County police and the MTA.

Cuomo said the main priority will be to clear the trains from the tracks and to get at least one track running as soon as possible. 

"If we have to work all day and all night long, we will," he said. "We want to make sure tomorrow's commute is as easy and normal as possible."

Photos on social media showed trains tipped at an angle next to the tracks and smashed glass inside at least one car. Emergency crews were using ladders to get passengers off the derailed train. 

[[396432141, C]]

"So the train was going normally, it was going at its normal speed, and then it started to shake, but that’s sort of normal, and then everyone started to sort of scream – so I realized something was wrong," Lindsay Javitz, who was on the derailed train, told NBC 4 New York. 

"And the train was really (going) back and forth and shaking … and then I look out the window and I saw a spark or a fire type thing … and then the train abruptly stopped and the car in front of mine was tilted, as if it wasn’t fully on the track."

The LIRR said three cars derailed and were damaged. According to the MTA, the tracks are generally wide enough for trains to travel side-by-side. The agency is investigating why the collision occurred.

Service was suspended on three branches of the railroad and there was no estimate on when trains would start running again.

Limited alternate service is available to and from the Hicksville, Ronkonkoma and Port Jefferson Stations. A diesel shuttle train will operate between Hicksville and Babylon. Transfers can be made at Hicksville for trains to other destinations.

Limited bus service will be provided between Jamaica and the New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury stations. Bus service will also replace some trains on the Oyster Bay Branch line.

For more information, commuters are advise to check the MTA website for service updates.

The LIRR is the busiest commuter rail in North America, carrying an average of 300,000 people each weekday. 

[[396429631, C]]

The accident comes three days after a CSX derailment in the Bronx caused widespread Amtrak delays, and about 10 days after a deadly New Jersey Transit crash in Hoboken that continues to snarl service. 

Photo Credit: @sarahaqamar / Twitter
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

All Saved From Capsized Boat in SF


Every passenger is accounted for after a boat carrying 30 people capsized near San Francisco's Pier 45 Saturday afternoon, according to public safety officials.

A total of eight people, ranging from five adults to three children, were transported to local hospitals with varying degrees of injury.

A 5-year-old child, who was previously listed in serious condition, was pulled from the water and found to be unconscious, but a good Samaritan and public safety crews were able to initiate CPR before sending the child to a local hospital, Giselle Talkoff from the San Francisco Police Department said.

A second child was also listed in critical condition, Bob Postel from the San Francisco Fire Department said. The rest of the transported passengers reported to be suffering from hypothermia-related injuries after floating in the cold water.

The injured passengers are expected to survive, according to public safety officials.

[[396438261, C]]

Rescue crews and helpful bystanders spent roughly 30 minutes plucking the boaters from the water after the vessel, which has been identified as 34-foot-long boat named "Khaleesi," began to take on water. Some of those passengers onboard were reportedly trapped underneath the boat's hull, according to witnesses.

Fellow boaters jumped into action and provided any aid they could while rescue crews arrived on scene.

"There was just a ton of people in the water," witness David Griffiths said. "We just started throwing life rings."

Another good Samaritan reportedly dove in the water and freed a father and his child who were both trapped inside the vessel's cabin.

Despite the serious injuries and frantic ordeal, Postel said the capsizing could have resulted in a much worse outcome.

"This could have been really, really catastrophic," he said. "For this to have the outcome that it did, is really a lot of good fortune and good luck."

Postel credits the U.S. Coast Guard, local police and fire agencies, and good Samaritans for assisting in the rescue. Public safety officials also noted that several emergency crews were in close proximity to the boat because of the ongoing San Francisco Fleet Week festivities.

The boat did submerge completely and authorities are conducting an investigation into what caused the vessel to sink.

This is the second time in five weeks that a boat has capsized in the Bay. Back in September, a catamaran took on water and sent all 16 passengers into the water. No one was injured during that accident.

Photo Credit: Gary Matthews
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live