Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Colorado Marijuana Grower Looking to Move to CT


A Colorado marijuana grower is hoping to move his operation to an old factory in Watertown.
Ethan Ruby, owner of the medical marijuana production plant Theraplant, has proposed plans to move into the former Keeler & Long paint factory in Watertown’s business park.
Theraplant is currently located in Colorado. The company grows and processes traditional buds for smoking but is looking to expand to distribute pills and vaporizers.
The proposed Connecticut plant would produce the drug and distribute it to dispensaries in the state. No actual sales of marijuana would take place in Watertown.
Ruby presented his plans at the city’s Economic Development Commission meeting last week. The state legalized marijuana last year.

Thousands of Volunteers Help Out at Travelers Championship


There are plenty of stars on the practice tee and on the green, but you probably don’t know the names of the real stars at the Travelers Championship in Cromwell.


They are the men and women who love golf, and are taking time out of their schedules to make a difference

“Everyone that volunteers knows that all the hard work is going towards the charities,” said volunteer Mary Beth Russell.
Russell is one of 4,200 volunteers. She has been helping out at the championship for more than a decade because of her love for the sport and the fans, and her support of the overall mission.
“There are so many volunteers that have been here all week,” said Russell. “And they want to help out and know that their good work is going to be helping out the community.”
“Look at how beautiful it is. What a beautiful day. It’s usually raining!” said Sharon Garrison from Farmington.
The weather hasn’t cooperated for the championship in the past few years as well as it did Saturday.
And John Gould is appreciating its beauty. He’s continuing his family’s tradition by bringing his daughter just like his dad would bring him when he was young.
“Everything’s always for charity, so that’s why we support it,” said Gould.
Tournament Director Nathan Grupe says giving back is at the heart of the championship. Last year they raised close to 1.2 million dollars and supported more than 100 charities across Connecticut and New England.
“The more people volunteer, the more we can do that, the more sponsors will come out. The more money we can raise,” said Grupe. “So, we try to be very open about what we’re doing”
They’re raising green on the green and making a difference right in our backyard.


Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Body Found in Farmington River


A body has been recovered from the Farmington River in Canton.

A woman walking her dog spotted the body around 9:30 this morning.

Canton Police and Fire responded along with two EnCon officers who were searching in the nearby area for missing rafter Rachel Greene of New Hartford.

Greene was reported missing last Saturday after going rafting with friends in the early morning hours. A man in the raft with her and two other men in a second raft made it to shore safely.

The body found this morning was found about three miles from where Greene was reported missing.

Authorities were unable to identify the body at the scene and it was transported to the chief medical examiner's office for a positive identification.


Photo Credit: Kelly

"Supermoon" Lights Up Social Media


If you didn't look up in the sky early Sunday morning, you missed your chance to witness the largest, brightest full moon of the year.

At 7:32 a.m. EDT Sunday, the moon was at its closest point to Earth for the month, approximately 221,824 miles away. According to Live Science, the moon was expected to be 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than normal.

The occurrence, referred to by astronomers as the "perigee full moon” or the “supermoon" by casual observers, lasted about 12 hours. A moon of similar size and brightness isn’t expected to occur again until 2014, but thankfully many people documented the lunar event in photos.

Take a look at some of the images and messages people shared about the "supermoon" on social media.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

California Waits for Same-Sex Marriage Decision


A long-awaited ruling on the legality of California's Prop 8 is expected to be handed down this coming  week.

It will be the U.S. Supreme Court's first decision on the issue of same-sex marriage.  

People on both side of the debate have been anxiously waiting for the justices to rule on the voter approved initiative. 

The ruling has been expected to come down sometime in June and the justices typically issue decisions on Monday or Thursday.

Since there is only one Monday and one Thursday left in the month, anticipation for the ruling is at a fever pitch. 

Full Coverage: Prop 8 Reality Check  | How the Supreme Court Might Rule | Timeline of Key Events  | Supreme Court Blog

The Justices considered arguments from attorneys representing Prop 8 supporters and opponents in

March. The hearing came after the Supreme Court granted in December the review of Prop 8 — approved by California voters in November 2008 — and the Federal Defense of Marriage Act, also argued before the court in March.

The Court has several options regarding Prop 8, including a decision to issue no ruling at all. Decisions on Prop 8 and DOMA are expected later this month after the Court did not issue a ruling during its Monday session.

The ban could be upheld or struck down in a ruling that applies to California or a broader decision that applies to all states. The court also could determine that state ballot sponsors had no legal right or standing to defend Prop 8 in federal court.

How that decision would impact the status of same-sex marriages in California is unclear. After the hearings in March, several Justices expressed doubt that the case should be before the court and suggested the case could be dismissed with no ruling, according to the Associated Press.

Nine states — Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and Washington — and Washington D.C. allow same-sex marriages.

Minnesota, Rhode Island and Delaware have approved same-sex marriage legislation, but laws in those states have yet to go into effect. 

The Justices considered arguments regarding a ruling by a San Francisco-based appeals court that struck down the voter-approved ban. The court ruled the state could not take away the same-sex marriage right granted by the state Supreme Court before the 2008 election.

But the debate stretches back years through court cases and elections, including the March 2000 approval of Prop 22, which defined marriage in California as between a man and a woman. That law was ruled unconstitutional by the state Supreme Court in May 2008, and an estimated 18,000 same-sex couples were married during a brief window before Prop 8's approval in the November election that year.

California's same-sex marriage ban was left in effect during the lengthy appeals process that followed. The legal battle included a landmark 2010 same-sex marriage trial in which Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker ruled the ban unconstitutional. Walker said the law "both unconstitutionally burdens the exercise of the fundamental right to marry and creates an irrational classification on the basis of sexual orientation."

After appeals by Prop 8 supporters who said voters should not be invalidated "based on just one judge's opinion," a San Francisco court ruled in a 2-1 decision in November 2012 that the Walker's ruling properly interpreted the U.S. Constitution. The court ruled that the ban's "only effect was to take away that important and legally significant designation."

As attorneys argued over the issue in court, public attitudes toward same-sex marriage shifted. In 2001, 57 percent of Americans opposed same-sex marriage, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. In a poll conducted in March 2013, 49 percent of Americans said they support same-sex marriage.

A second case before the high court challenges the Defense of Marriage Act — also known as DOMA. The act blocks federal recognition of same-sex couples in states where they are allowed to marry.

President Barack Obama called the law enacted in 1996 unconstitutional. Arguments in the DOMA case are scheduled for Wednesday.


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Dallas Auction House Sells KFC Founder's Suit


The president and chief executive of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan purchased the trademark white suit worn by company founder "Colonel" Harland Sanders at auction Saturday for $21,510 -- then promptly tried it on.

Masao "Charlie" Watanabe grinned while putting on the suit jacket and black string tie at the Heritage Auctions event, standing beneath a photograph of Sanders. He had already planned to attend a company marketing meeting in Dallas, but arrived early after he found out about the auction, he said.

Watanabe was one of hundreds of in-person, telephone and online bidders vying for various items, including a gun belt owned by legendary outlaw Jesse James and leg irons that restrained abolitionist John Brown.

Watanabe also bought a mini-collection of Sanders' memorabilia -- including his 1973 Kentucky driver's license -- for $1,912.

Sanders is a popular figure in Japan, and most KFC restaurants there have statues of him in front, Watanabe said. He plans to display the suit at a restaurant in Tokyo.

"Every child in Japan knows Colonel Sanders' face and his uniform," Watanabe told The Associated Press through a translator.

Sanders was named a "Kentucky colonel" by the state's governor in 1935, five years after he began cooking meals for travelers who stopped at his gas station, according to his biography on the KFC website.

Earlier Saturday, the leg irons used on Brown after his failed 1859 raid on a federal arsenal in Harpers Ferry, W. Va., sold for $13,145. The winning bidder declined to be identified.

Many scholars believe Brown and his raid hastened the start of the Civil War as he tried to end slavery. The Connecticut native and some followers seized the arsenal, hoping to provide 100,000 weapons to slaves who never joined them. Brown later was hanged for treason, murder and inciting a rebellion.

James' gun belt, one of two that he owned at the time of his death, sold for $16,730. The buyer was not immediately known.

Photo Credit: Heritage Auctions - ha.com

Craigslist Ad Leads to Man's Murder


A South Jersey man was shot and killed in Philadelphia as he attempted to answer a sale ad on Craigslist.

Daniel Cook, 27 of Williamstown, N.J., his girlfriend and another friend drove to Hollis Street and Walnut Lane in the West Oak Lane section of Philadelphia around 11 p.m. Friday to look at an all-terrain vehicle advertised on Craigstlist, according to Philadelphia Police.

Investigators said an unidentified man, believed to be selling the ATV, walked Cook around the corner to look at the four-wheeler and then shot him in the left side of his face.

Cook was dead when officers and emergency responders arrived on the scene, police say. He was pronounced dead at 11:23 p.m. Friday.

The man's family confirmed he was killed as he tried to answer the online advertisement, but were too distraught to speak further.

Witnesses described hearing two gunshots before hearing screaming and seeing people run from the scene.

"I saw a couple of young people running down the street and one yelled out, 'Oh, they shot Danny,'" said neighbor Geraldine Jones.

Law enforcement sources close to the investigation tell NBC10 the victim was robbed. They don't believe the shooter is from the West Oak Lane neighborhood.

Philadelphia Police homicide detectives' investigation led them to a home along the 1900 block of Lukens Road in Willow Grove, Pa.

There detectives took a man they're calling a person of interest into questioning. A neon blue Buick with large chrome rims was also towed away for evidence.

NBC10 tried to speak with a woman who lived in the home, but she yelled profanities and drove away.

Mary Trauger lives across the street from the person-of-interest's home. She says she knows the man who police are questioning in the case.

“He’s has been in trouble many times…arrested for stealing. I am shaking like a leaf to be honest, it’s scary.”

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

State Offers $5 million to Weather-Damaged Farms


Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has announced $5 million in emergency help to Connecticut farmers for losses due to this year's severe snow and rain storms.

Malloy announced on Sunday that farmers have until July 15 to apply for financial help. The governor said that in the past two years, the state's farms have endured severe weather-related blows that have put them in jeopardy.

Agriculture Commissioner Steven K. Reviczky says the massive snow storm that pounded the Northeast in February and excessive rain in the spring are beyond expectations for farmers.

Assistance may be used to repair damaged property and equipment, replant lost crops, purchase feed and other other work.

Associated Press/NBC Connecticut

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Enfield Stabbing Suspect Arrested


Four children were asleep inside their Enfield home in the Thompsonville section early Sunday morning. They were unaware of an altercation between their mother and father that turned violent.

Police responded to 49 Laurel Park at 12:55 a.m. for a domestic disturbance. There they found Andino's "on-again, off-again" boyfriend suffering from a stab wound to the chest.

The man who was taken to Bay State Hospital in Springfield and is in stable condition, police said.

Police arrested Andino and charged her with assault, assault with a dangerous weapon and breach of peace. She’s currently being held on $100,000 bond.

Neighbors who know Gwendolyn Andino say she’s friendly and never causes any problems in the community.

“Over the time I’ve been staying here I haven’t heard anything. I don’t know,” said Mohammed Haroun, who lives in the neighborhood. He says he’s never seen any police activity in the area.

Officials spent most of the day waiting for a search warrant to go inside the home. They say the couple’s four children are safe and with family members.

Pilot Killed in Ultralight Plane Crash in Ellington


The pilot of an ultralight aircraft that crashed at Ellington Airport Sunday morning has died, according to State Police.

The crash was reported shortly after 10 a.m.

Emergency officials responded to the Somers Road airport. Life Star was called to the scene.

Connecticut State Police and Federal Aviation Administration are investigating.

The name of the pilot has been withheld pending family notification.

Photo Credit: Sherry Watson

Motorcycle Driver Seriously Injured


A 19-year-old motorcycle driver was seriously injured after being struck by a car in Moosup Sunday afternoon, police said.

According to Plainfield police, Jeremy Mack, of 8 Mortimer Road in Moosup, was riding his motorcycle around 4:30 p.m. when he was hit by a car pulling out of a driveway at 115 Goshen Road.

Mack sustained life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to Rhode Island Hospital. Police said he was wearing a helmet, but it came off during the crash.

The car's driver, 17-year-old Nathan St. Jean, of 57 Black Hill Road in Central Village, was not injured, police said.

Police are investigating.

Two Condos Destroyed in New Haven Blaze


A fast-moving fire destroyed two condos in New Haven early this morning.

The blaze broke out at 1010 Quinnipiac Avenue around 2 a.m. Monday. The flames started in one unit and spread to another.

Both condos are destroyed, but firefighters managed to hold the flames at bay and prevent them from engulfing two more neighboring units, fire officials said.

Eight adults and one child escaped from the burning condos and are now homeless. They're being assisted by the Red Cross. No residents were injured, but three firefighters were sent to the hospital for exhaustion, according to the New Haven Fire Department.

Firefighters said they were able to extinguish the blaze around 3 a.m.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Police Investigate Woodbridge Shooting


Police are investigating an early-morning shooting in Woodbridge in the area of Morris Road.

Police said the incident occurred around 1:20 a.m. Two men and two women were in a car driving down Morris Road when the two female passengers started to argue. The car pulled over near the woods, at which point one of the male passengers became involved in the argument. He shot one of the women two times and took off, according to police.

The victim, in her 20s, was taken to New Haven Hospital and is in stable conditon, police said.

Police say the shooter is on the loose. They are searching for him and say they will release his identity soon.

The State Police Major Crimes Unit is at the scene. Police have blocked off the road.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Man Accused of Trying Bribe Judge: Cops


The trial of a Sherman man accused of trying to bribe a judge to influence a grand jury probe into the death of his ex-wife begins today in Bridgeport.

According to state police, Dominic Badaracco, 76, offered a Superior Court judge $100,000 for his "help" in November 2010.

Badaracco's ex-wife, Mary Badaracco, was married to Dominic Badaracco at the time of her disappearance in 1984.

In August 2010, an investigatory grand jury was appointed to investigate the homicide of Mary Badaracco. Dominic Badaracco was considered a suspect and possible target of the grand jury, according to the affidavit.

The judge occasionally played golf with Badaracco and his business partner, according to court documents. And Badaracco called him in November 2010, asked for "help" and said, "I'm only gonna say this one time ... it's worth a hundred Gs."

The judge hung up the phone and reported the conversation.

"I understood it was about the Badaracco murder and he was asking me to have some influence over the outcome of the grand jury ... like sweep it under the rug," the judge told police, according to the affidavit.

Dominic Badaracco has maintained his innocence.

Mary Badaracco's daughter has mixed emotions about the arrest.

"If he is still innocent, why would he need to bribe a judge to make it go away," Mary's daughter said. "Through this, anyone who has tried to hinder the investigation should be held accountable."

Badaracco's daughters reported her missing on Aug. 31, 1984 because they had not heard from their mother for several days.

Dominic told Mary's daughters he'd last seen their mother on Aug. 20 and she had packed up all her belongings and left the house, according to the arrest warrant application.

Mary's car was still in the driveway and the windshield was smashed, according to court records.

Dominic divorced Mary in August 1985, a year after she disappeared.

In 1991, Mary was declared legally dead and the case remains open. 

Badaracco has been charged with offering an illegal gift, was released on $150,000 bond. 

No one answered the door at Dominic Badaracco's house when NBC Connecticut attempted to speak with him.

State police executed search warrants at the house in February and used heavy equipment to dig up parts of the yard. Nothing was found.

Photo Credit: Martin Poole /Getty Images

Silver Alert Issued for Missing 18-Year-old


State police have issued a silver alert for a missing 18-year-old and will resume the search this morning.

Authorities said Heather R. Smith was last seen in Ellington Sunday. She was last seen wearing a pink Aeropostale shirt with blue and green lettering and black Capri style leggings with the word pink on the rear.

According to officials, Heather wandered away from an accident scene after her car crashed into a tree near Tree Top Road at around 10:30 a.m.

Police said there is concern that she may have been injured.

Heather is described as a white female, about 5'2'' tall and 90 pounds with brown hair and hazel eyes.

Responders from several area towns and K-9 dogs are being used in the immediate area. The State Police helicopter is also being called in to assist in the search.

Anyone with information regarding her whereabouts is urged to contact Connecticut State Police, Troop C at 860-896-3200.


Marine Gets Surprise Homecoming Caravan


A marine returning home from Afghanistan knew his father was picking him from the airport as he returned home, but he wasn't aware that he would be trailed by a caravan of well-wishers welcoming his return.

Show Goes On for Coney Island Mermaid Parade


Storm-ravaged Coney Island celebrated its survival with the annual Mermaid Parade.

Heat Celebrate With Victory Parade, Rally


For the second year in a row, Heat fans thronged to downtown Miami Monday to celebrate the team's 2013 NBA Championship with a victory parade and rally.

Players rode double-decker buses down the confetti-strewn streets that were packed with fans, many of whom had arrived before the sun was up to grab a front row seat.

LeBron James kept a cigar in his mouth as he waved to fans from atop one bus as the team made their way to AmericanAirlines Arena.

PHOTOS: Miami Heat Victory Parade

"All the fans that we're seeing here who supported us throughout the whole season, this is the least we could do is ride through the city and show our appreciation," James said. "It hasn't hit me yet, this is unbelievable to be a part of such a great franchise and to be able to go back-to-back champions, it's unbelievable.

"It's the ultimate, this is why I came down here, to be able to have a parade at the end of the year, I'm extremely blessed man, it don't get no better than this."

LeBron Cam at the Heat Parade

Chris Bosh carried the Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy on another bus. Dwyane Wade rode another with his children at his side. Other players used water guns to keep the crowd cool.

The parade, which was scheduled to begin at 11 a.m., was delayed about a half an hour due to a brief shower. By 8 a.m., fans had begun filling in along the parade route and traffic backups were reported in surrounding areas.

Complete Miami Heat Championship Coverage

Fan Vernon Martin grabbed a chair just before 5 a.m. to get in position for the parade.

"We're major Heat fans, we knew the crowd would be out here, I want to be out to support our Miami Heat," Martin said. "It's special to see them win, especially for a second time."

South Florida Businesses Profit From Miami Heat Win

Team president Pat Riley, who said it was his ninth parade, said it was a great day for the team and city.

"It never gets old, the parade really is about history and you chronicle it and 20 years from now you'll be able to look back on it and really enjoy it," Riley said. "They're all good, but just because I'm a year older it makes it special, so I appreciate it more than ever."

One man from Kendall said he had to wait in traffic for two hours to get to the parade.

“It took me about two hours to get here but it was well worth it. I’m here to support the Miami Heat. Go Heat!” he said.

With temperatures expected to be in the upper 80s, it was a hot day to be outside, but Martin said he didn't expect the weather would keep the fans away.

How to Get to The Miami Heat Parade

"It's about the Miami Heat, it's gonna be hot, we can take the heat," he said.

The parade route began at Southwest 8th Street and 2nd Avenue heading west on 8th Street to Brickell Avenue. It'll head north on Brickell then left on Biscayne Boulevard to the AmericanAirlines Arena.

Miami Heat's DJ Irie Talks Parade, Irie Weekend

Southwest 8th Street was closed to cars at 9 a.m. and will reopen as soon as the tail of the parade passes.

An estimated 400,000 fans attended last year's victory parade and similar numbers were expected this year. Security was tight for the parade and Miami Police said no backpacks would be allowed during the celebration this year as a safety measure.

A fan named Renee and her family came from Cutler Bay and booked a hotel room Sunday night to ensure a good spot along the parade route.

VIDEO: Pat Riley Talks About Heat's Back-to-Back Title
"We booked our hotel at the Hyatt, we came up last night so we could enjoy the parade this morning," she said. "We've had so much fun witnessing the victory, we are proud now to be Miami citizens."

While there were no major incidents, police officers were preoccupied with fans who brought backpacks despite authorities' requests to leave them at home.

Fan Diamond Giddarie said she brought a clear backpack so she could carry her things, but still comply with safety measures.

"True Heat fans watch the news and know what to do," she said.

Officials said it was impossible to check each bag, but undercover officers were on scene to monitor suspicious situations.

"We did our best. However, we had droves of people here so we couldn't check each backpack on an individual basis," Miami Police spokesman Freddie Cruz said. "Rest assured our undercover officers were monitoring each and every situation."

There was damage to at least one police vehicle by fans who got carried away trying to catch a glimpse of the NBA champions, but no one was arrested.

PHOTOS: Fans Celebrate at Heat Parade

Police also asked fans climbing a railroad crossing to get down, but plenty were still climbing up even after the parade was over.

The parade wound up around 1 p.m. and was followed by a private, ticketed rally inside the arena with the team. Only season ticket holders were allowed inside.

Inside the arena, Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado and city commissioners honored the team.

"We want to thank the Miami Heat, because not only have you brought Miami another championship, you have united this community and for that we thank you," Regalado told Riley. "Next year, repeat, repeat!"

"We'd like to think about doing that sir," Riley replied.


Miami-Dade commissioners also declared Monday as "Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions Day."

"Miami parties better than any city in the world," Head coach Erik Spoelstra said, as he praised his team and the fans for stricking by them as they battled the Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs in their final two series.

"We could not have done those two Game 7s without your support here at home," Spoelstra said.

"This is a blessing just to share this moment with some of the greatest guys, greatest teammates and more importantly my brothers I'm honored to be in this position right now," Juwan Howard said. "Miami we couldn't have did it without you, thank you Miami."

PHOTOS: The Heat Rally Inside the AmericanAirlines Arena

"This is the hardest working team in sports, not just basketball in every sport," James Jones said. we're gonna come back next year better than we were this year, we're going for three in a row."

Chris "Birdman" Andersen was also thinking about taking things to the next level.

"Let's try to get a three-peat next year!" Andersen said.

"To be here celebrating my third championship, who woulda thought it?" Wade told the crowd inside the arena." This one is special obviously because I know the category that it puts me in, I know how hard it was to get to this point. We had a lot of ups and downs as a franchise since I been here so to now be here celebrating our third championship with you guys, it's just phenomenal."

Last to speak at the rally was LeBron, who talked about playing Game 6 against the Spurs without a headband.

"It was an out of body experience for me," he said.

He also talked about his famous comments after winning his second NBA title.

"Like I said, I ain't got no worries, we ain't got no worries," LeBron said, before he had the crowd say it along with him.

More Miami Heat Content:


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Sandy Victims Charged for Water in Vacant Homes


Staten Island residents whose homes were damaged by superstorm Sandy say the city is charging them hundreds of dollars for water they haven't used since the storm.

Some of the bills in the hard-hit New York City borough have been as high as $500, which Rep. Michael Grimm (R-NY) calls ridiculous.

"That's $500 these people could use to replace a washer or dryer or refrigerator swept out to sea during Sandy," Grimm said at a press conference Saturday.

The Department of Environmental Protection sent a letter to residents saying they were subject to a minimum charge of $1.19 a day even if they weren't using water in their homes.

Stephanie Argento received a bill for her South Beach house, where she hasn't even been living.

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing, $320 for water," she said. "That's money I could put to my rent."

Grimm said he has contacted the DEP and asked the agency to waive the charges but has yet to hear back.

A DEP spokesman told NBC 4 New York that the agency suspended billing and interest last November for more than 9,000 homes that were damaged by Sandy, and insisted each account has since been reviewed, with more than half a million dollars in leak forgiveness granted.

The DEP told NBC 4 New York that billing hasn't resumed if a home is uninhabitable. 

Church Plans Basement Pet Shrine


In a newly discovered grotto beneath the shrine’s front steps, a priest envisions building a columbarium to house the ashes of the dearly departed of the pet world. Joe Rosato Jr. reports.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live