Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Police Investigating Robbery of ATM Employee in Branford


Police are investigating the robbery of an ATM employee in Branford and they have released a photo of a car they are looking for.

Police said an ATM employee at 150 West Main St. was robbed and police are looking for a four-door white sedan.

Photo Credit: Branford Police

Assisted Living Facility Employee Accused of Stealing Medication from Patient


An employee of an assisted living facility in South Windsor is accused of stealing medication from a patient. 

Police said they received a complaint from an assisted living facility on Ellington Road in March because a supervisor believed an employee, 50-year-old Paige Tersavich, of Windsor Locks, had stolen medication from a patient. 

Police obtained an arrest warrant charging Tersavich with false statement in the second degree, larceny in the sixth degree and possession of narcotics. 

Officers arrested her Monday and Tersavich was released on $2,000 non-surety bond. 

She is scheduled to appear at Manchester Superior Court on April 13. 

Photo Credit: South Windsor Police

Car Hits Tree in Colchester

Trump Blames Obama Administration for Syrian Chemical Attack


President Donald Trump said Tuesday that former President Barack Obama's administration is to blame for the suspected chemical attack in Syria that appears to have killed at least 58 people, NBC News reports.

"These heinous actions by the Bashar al-Assad regime are a consequence of the past administration's weakness and irresolution. President Obama said in 2012 that he would establish a 'red line' against the use of chemical weapons and then did nothing," the president said in a statement.

The Syrian government is suspected of carrying out the attack in a rebel-held area of the country. 

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., one of the strongest proponents of arming the Syrian rebels, said President Donald Trump's administration will be just as complicit as Obama if the U.S. does not act.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

First Alert: Another Rain Storm Will Bring More Flooding Thursday


Parts of the state saw between 1 to 2 inches of rain Tuesday morning which led to flooding issues throughout the state. More rain is on the way for Thursday.

NBC Connecticut Meteorologists are forecasting an even stronger rain storm to move into the state Thursday. Another 1 to 2 inches of rain is expected with this storm. 

Even some isolated thunderstorms are possible by Thursday afternoon and evening. 

A flood watch has been issued for all of Connecticut through Friday morning. 

We're forecasting the Housatonic and Connecticut River's to be near or even exceed flood stage by the end of the week.

Parts of southeastern Connecticut are already experiencing some minor river flooding. A flood warning is in effect for the Pawcatuck River at Westerly until further notice. Some minor lowland flooding is occurring in parts of Stonington and North Stonington. 

Looking further down the road we're expecting some warm weather to enter the state early next week. Inland high temperatures are forecasted to reach 70 degrees on Monday and into the middle 70s by Tuesday. Temperatures along the shoreline will run around 10 degrees cooler as a result of the cold Long Island Sound water temperature.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Police Identify Body of Man Found Along Quinebaug River in Preston

3 Teens Suspected in Attack on Food Delivery Woman


Police have arrested three teens in connection with the brutal attack of a food delivery woman last month.

A 13-year-old New Britain boy was arrested Monday and police arrested a 14-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl today.

Police found the 45-year-old woman on the ground near 160 Long Swamp Road in New Britain around 10:30 p.m. March 14. At first, they thought she’d fallen, but police learned that the woman's money and person items were missing and medical staff realized the woman had been assaulted.

She suffered from serious head injuries and broken bones in her face, police said at the time. This morning, they said the victim has permanent, life-altering injuries.

Police believe the 16-year-old girl made the call to order the food and the 13- and 14-year-old boys attacked the delivery driver.   

All three teens attend New Britain schools and a school administrator learned information that helped lead police to make the arrests.  Police also used social media and knocked on doors to interview people to identify suspects.

The three suspects have been charged with first-degree robbery, conspiracy to robbery in the first degree, first-degree assault, conspiracy to assault in the first degree, sixth-degree larceny and conspiracy to larceny in the sixth degree and they are at a juvenile detention facility.

New Britain police are continuing to investigate and said the New Britain State’s Attorney’s Office has assisted.

Anyone with information should call the New Britain police department at 860-826-3000.

You can make anonymous tips on the community tip line at (860) 826-3199 or online at newbritainpolice.org.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

1 Injured in Trooper-Involved Shooting at Columbia Motel


One person has been injured after a state trooper-involved shooting in Columbia, police said.

State police responded to a disturbance at the Hop River Motel located at 152 Route 66 at 2:57 p.m.

The investigation is access, however, Connecticut State Police said one trooper discharged at least one round from their duty weapon and hit the suspect.

The suspect was taken into custody and transported to Hartford Hospital. 

No troopers were shot or injured.

An investigation is underway. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Hamden Meeting to Discuss Controversial Proposed Apartments


Hamden residents concerned about a developer's plan to build nearly 300 apartments on the narrow and winding Rocky Top Road will have the chance to hear the latest developments on the project at an Inland Wetlands Commission meeting Wednesday night.

Hamden's Inland Wetland Commission recently ordered a Geo-hydrology study to be conducted on the 18-acre proposed work site located between Shepard and Sherman Avenues. A developer is attempting to build a 288-unit luxury housing complex just off of Rocky Top Road.

Last month NBC Connecticut spoke to residents in the area, who said they were concerned the narrow, winding road is too small to accommodate the trucks and equipment that would need to come in for studies and the construction, and wouldn’t be able to handle the traffic caused by hundreds of new residents.

Defending against the development has residents focused on the Inland Wetlands Commission, which will analyze the results of the Geo-hydrology testing before deciding to push the project forward any further. The next commission meeting is set for Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Hamden Town Hall, where officials are set to discuss the results of the Geo-hydrology study.

In a statement last month, an attorney for the developer said the proposal doesn't "reasonably" pollute or impair the wetlands in the area.

Pedestrian Struck by Pickup in Colchester


One person was taken to the hospital after being hit by a pickup in Colchester Wednesday morning, according to the Colchester Fire Department.

The accident happened in a parking lot at 327 South Main Street. State police said there were some injuries, but the extent of those injuries was not immediately clear.

More details were not available.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Contributed Photo

Main Street in Newington Closed After Crash Takes Down Pole


Part of Main Street in Newington is shut down after a crash took down a utility pole.

The accident happened on Main Street near Robbins Avenue. An NBC Connecticut crew on scene reported that at least one person was taken away by ambulance but it’s unclear how serious the injuries are.

At one point Eversource reported about 900 power outages in the area, but power has been restored.

Police said traffic can get by on Robbins or East Robbins. Main Street is open southbound from that intersection.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Car Fire Sends Smoke Billowing onto I-91 in Wallingford


Drivers on Interstate 91 in Wallingford may have spotted smoke from a car fire under a bridge near exit 14 Wednesday morning.

Wallingford police confirmed crews responded to a car fire on Woodhouse Avenue under the I-91 overpass.

Police said as of 8:40 a.m. the fire was out and the road was open, but crews remained on scene.

More information was not immediately available.

Photo Credit: Chrisy Fletcher

Resident Says Man Tried to Break in and Kill Him: Police


State police arrested a Bethlehem man after responding to reports that a man was trying to break into a home and kill a resident.

State police said they received a 911 call at 9:12 p.m. Tuesday from a man who said Joseph Fortunato was breaking into the victim’s home and trying to kill him with a gun.

Police said the two men know each other and they have had arguments in the past.

Fortunato was not at the scene when police arrived and state police took him into custody at his home.

Fortunato has been charged with threatening, criminal attempted home invasion, second-degree criminal mischief and breach of peace.

He is being held on $100,000 bond and he is due in court on April 12.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

'Suspicious' Man in Suffield Turns Out to be Delivery Man


Suffield police have identified a man residents were concerned was acting suspiciously around children as a newspaper deliveryman.

Police said on March 20 they received a report from a parent that a man driving a blue or green Kia sport utility vehicle pulled up near a middle school age girl in the Birch Road area to talk with her. A few days later they received another report that a blue or green Kia sport utility vehicle was parked on Birch Road in front of a home where a 5-year-old child was playing in the yard.

Police said the man works as a delivery man for a local newspaper and had just started his new route on March 20, which was why residents did not recognize him. According to police, after speaking with witnesses, the initial complainants, and the man himself it was determined that nothing criminal took place, and that “perception and circumstance” may have led to the misunderstanding.

The delivery man, who was not named, drives a blue Hyundai Tucson SUV with a white front quarter panel and Massachusetts plates.

Police thanked everyone who reached out to them with information during this investigation. Residents are always encouraged to report any suspicious activity to authorities.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

New York Man Dead After Crash in Woodbury


A 49-year-old New York man is dead after his car veered across the road in Woodbury on Tuesday afternoon.

State police said James J. Hilnican, 49, of Grahamsville, New York, was going east on Good Hill Road, near Whittlesey Road, at 2:20 p.m., crossed over to the westbound side of the road, and hit another car head-on.

Hilnican was pronounced dead at the scene, according to state police.

The other driver suffered minor injuries.

Police are investigating and ask anyone with information to call police at 203-263-3400.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Torrington Police Arrest 5 During Motel Drug Bust


Four people were arrested on drug charges and a fifth on theft charges when police executed a search warrant at a Torrington motel Monday.

The search warrant was the result of an investigation into criminal activity at the Lakeside Motel at 3570 Winsted Road. Police said that when they searched a room near the main office of the hotel, they found seven people, heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, and drug paraphernalia. Officers also recovered items stolen from a local store, police said.

Police arrested five people during the incident.

Wendell McKinney, 45, of the Lakeside Motel, was charged with possession of Heroin, possession of crack cocaine with intent to sell, possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia. His bond was set at $5,000.

Timothy Spencer, 40, of Winchester, Carrie Grenier, 51, of Torrington and Katrina Spriggs, 23, of Colebrook were each charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and issued a $500 bond.

Chaslene Judson, 34, of Torrington, was charged with sixth-degree larceny and issued a $500 bond.

Photo Credit: Torrington Police Department

Pilot Ejects Safely Before F-16 Crashes Near DC


A fighter jet crashed Wednesday morning in a wooded area near Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, after he had mechanical trouble and steered the aircraft away from a neighborhood, officials say. 

A witness said the pilot's first concern was residents' safety. 

"I asked him if he was OK and he didn't even respond to that. He asked if everyone in the neighborhood was OK," Patrick Dodson said. 

The D.C. Air National Guard F-16C fighter jet crashed about 9:15 a.m. in Clinton, Maryland, about 6 miles southwest of the base that is home to Air Force One, base officials said. Homes are about 200 yards from the crash site. 

The pilot, who was on a routine training mission, was able to eject from the jet assigned to the 113th Wing. He parachuted to the ground and was picked up by a military helicopter. Video captured by a witness shows the pilot drift toward the ground.

The pilot was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries. No one else was reported to have been hurt, according to the chief of the Prince George's County fire department, Ben Barksdale.

"For the pilot to be able to eject and not be injured and the plane to go down in a wooded area without affecting the homes, [we are] absolutely very fortunate that we didn't have any lives lost today." 

Military officials have the area, which is about 15 miles southeast of Washington, D.C., locked down as they work to learn more about what went wrong. 

Residents said they saw the plane flying low, the pilot eject via parachute and then heard at least one huge boom. Then, they saw a plume of black smoke and smelled a fire. 

Dodson, who lives nearby, said he was on his porch talking on his cellphone when he heard a loud noise and then saw the plane nosedive toward the ground.

"I screamed into the house, 'Get out of the house!' I thought the plane was coming here. Luckily, it landed in the woods," he said.

Then, Dodson said he ran into the woods to help. He said he saw the pilot standing. That's when the pilot asked if everyone else was OK. 

"He said he tried to direct the plane away from the neighborhood," Dodson said.

Then, the pilot was taken away in a helicopter.

Clinton Grove Elementary School was on lockdown, and residents who were directed away from their homes were sent there. Residents were allowed to return home once officials secured the perimeter of the crash scene. 

The fire department is asking anyone who sees debris that could be a part of the plane to not touch it or move it. Debris has been found miles away in National Harbor, officials said. To report debris, officials asked residents to call 240-612-4428 or 240-612-4430.

What Witnesses Saw and Heard

People in the area said the impact was terrifying. 

"I heard a really loud boom, wasn't sure what that was; it sounded like maybe construction work. And then I heard a second boom, but it was so loud," one resident said. "My house shook, like an earthquake. But it almost sounded like a bomb."

Resident Nick Bobotis said he was inside his home when he felt a boom.

"I thought maybe a tree fell. So I went outside and started looking around, and then I started to smell this funny smell of something burning. It smelled like when you light a match, that first sulfur smell, and I'm like, 'That's strange.' And then I started seeing all kinds of emergency vehicles."

Kent Roberson was driving through a residential area nearby when the plane crashed. 

"...I just heard a loud boom, I guess... like how a large tree falls and shakes the ground," he said. "That's what it felt like and what I heard."

Roberson said he saw flames and smoke rising from the ground.

An Air Force veteran who had to evacuate from her home said the crash scared her.

"I was in the Air Force for like 26 years, so I'm used to seeing things like that, but not that close," she said.

What Went Wrong?

As the pilot trained, he realized something was wrong with his jet, military officials said at a news conference.

"The pilot experienced a mechanical issue and immediately took actions," said Brig. Gen. George Degnon, acting adjutant general of the D.C. Air National Guard. "Once he realized he would not be able to safely land the aircraft, he made a decision to maneuver to a wooded area to avoid the risk to local community and ensure public safety."

The pilot, who officials did not name, dumped the fuel he was carrying, looked for somewhere to crash and ejected.

"We're talking seconds, not minutes," his commanding officer, Lt. Col. Michael Croker said about the pilot's decision-making process.

The Air Force told Congress the pilot is a 31-year-old lieutenant and that an engine malfunction caused the crash, sources told News4's Scott MacFarlane.

The jet was carrying training inert training bullets that were no threat to the public, officials said.

No prior mechanical issues with the jet, which is worth about $20 million, had been reported, officials said.

"It's quite a blessing that everything turned out like it did and nothing worse occurred," Croker said.

The pilot had been released from a hospital by mid-afternoon Wednesday.

"Word is he's in good spirits," his commanding officer said.

The investigation continues.

Local Impact

The plane crashed between the Woodelves Way and Maui Street cul-de-sacs in Clinton, Maryland. The pilot landed about a mile away, on Steed Road. 

The crash sparked fires in the woods, which firefighters extinguished using water and foam. 

Some roads in the area are closed. 

Homes near the scene of the crash were evacuated as a precaution because of the possibility that the crash released hazardous materials, Brady said. Authorities knocked on doors and alerting residents. Residents were allowed back into their homes about 11 a.m. 

Hyde Field/Washington Executive Airpark, located nearby, is closed until further notice during the investigation.

More on the F-16 and Its Unit

The 113th Wing guards Washington's airspace. They are one of the busiest wings in the country, with as many as 3,000 flights per year. 

The single-engine F-16 that crashed was designed to fly fast and be agile but not to glide, aerospace expert Todd Harrison of the Center for Strategic & International Studies said on News4. 

"If you have a problem at a low altitude, you're in trouble," he said. "There's very little time to recover, especially if it's something catastrophic." 

The jets date back to the 1980s. In some cases, they are older than the pilots operating them. National Guard officials testified before a Senate committee in 2010 about their concerns with the fleet.

In 2011, the Guard suggested that much of the F-16 fleet could reach the end of its service life expectancy by 2018.

Prior Military Jet Crashes in the Area

An Air National Guard pilot crashed an F-16 from the 113th Wing near Chincoteague, Virginia, in 2013. The jet and another jet from the same unit clipped wings. One pilot was injured after being rescued at sea.

An F-18 Navy jet on a training mission crashed into an apartment complex in Virginia Beach in 2012, injuring seven people and destroying 27 apartments. The Navy said a rare dual-engine malfunction caused the crash.

Photo Credit: NBC Washington
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Sikorsky to Build 200 Helicopters for U.S. Marine Corps


Sikorsky will be producing 200 CH-53K King Stallion helicopters in Connecticut that will go to the U.S. Marine Corps. 

Gov. Dannel Malloy said Tuesday that the Stratford-based company has approval from the U.S. Department of Defense. 

“The headline is that these state-of-the-art helicopters will be made in Connecticut. This is an exciting milestone for Sikorsky and for our state. Competition in today’s worldwide economic climate is fierce, and Connecticut has shown we remain a valued leader where businesses can access one of the most well educated, productive workforces and maintain a competitive edge well into the future,” Malloy said in a statement. 

A statement from Sikorsky said the first six helicopters are under contract and will be delivered next year.

"We have just successfully launched the production of the most powerful helicopter our nation has ever designed. This incredible positive step function in capability is going to revolutionize the way our nation conducts business in the battlespace by ensuring a substantial increase in logistical throughput into that battlespace. I could not be prouder of our government-contractor team for making this happen," Col Hank Vanderborght, U.S. Marine Corps program manager for the Naval Air Systems Command's Heavy Lift Helicopters program, PMA-261, said in a statement.

“This isn’t only about Sikorsky – it’s also about the supply chain companies and the thousands of employees in every corner of our state who will benefit. That’s why we worked so hard to ensure the CH-53K King Stallion would be built right here in Connecticut,” Malloy said.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Panera Sells for $7.5B to the Coffee Giant That Owns Keurig


Panera Bread has been sold to JAB, the owner of Caribou Coffee and Peet's Coffee and Tea, for $7.5 billion, CNBC reported.

The Luxembourg-based company has bought several U.S. breakfast and coffee companies in recent years, including Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and Keurig Green Mountain. One consumer researcher called Panera the "crown jewel" for JAB, and said the move "makes a lot of sense."

Panera has 2,000 cafes throughout the U.S. Through the last six quarters, they have reported better-than-expected earnings per share. 

Under the deal, JAB will assume Panera's $340 million debt. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Expect Extra Crowds at Bradley Because of School Vacations


If you are heading to Bradley Airport this week, expect crowds because it's school vacation week and the Connecticut Airport Authorities recommends leaving early to ensure you get to your gate on time.

Because spring break has begun, the number of passengers traveling through Bradley International Airport is up 30 percent from today through Sunday.

“The key during this busy travel week is to give yourself extra time and to be prepared,” Kevin Dillon, executive director of the Connecticut Airport Authority, said in a statement. “Our team will do everything we can to make your travel through the airport as carefree as possible.”

If you are traveling domestically, leave at least 90 minutes for check in with your airline and to get through TSA security screening.

People traveling internationally should give themselves three hours.

“TSA is fully prepared for the busy travel week,” William Csontos, TSA’s federal security director for Connecticut, said in a statement. “Our Officers are extremely dedicated, efficient and focused on the security of each passenger traveling though our system.”

The Connecticut Airport Authority recommends that you confirm the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.

Flight information is available on Bradley Airport’s website www.flybdl.org. Twitter users can also tweet their flight number @BDLFlightInfo to receive real-time flight information.

If you are unsure if an item is allowed through security get live assistance by tweeting your questions and comments to @AskTSA or through Facebook Messenger, weekdays, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and weekends/holidays, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. You can also reach the Contact Center at 866-289-9673.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live