Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

3 Juveniles Accused of Stealing Danbury Car


Three juveniles have been charged with attempting to steal a car in Danbury, police said. 

A call for a stolen car at a residence on Austin Street came into Danbury Police at 9:53 p.m. on Friday. 

Police said the wife of the Nissan Altima turned on the car before running inside to get an item, police said.

At that time, three juveniles jumped into the car. When the owner of the car confronted the suspects, the young man took out a knife, Danbury Police said.

The officers spotted the car heading northbound on Tamarack Avenue, but when they activated their emergency lights, the suspects didn't stop driving. 

After losing sight of the Nissan Altima, police located the unoccupied car on Hawley Road. The three suspects were picked up by Conncecticut STate Police who saw them running within the area, Danbury Police said.

The male juvenile and one of the juvenile female suspect were charged with larceny, conspiracy to commit larceny, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery.

The second female suspect was charged the same, in addition to reckless driving, disobeying signal of an officer and operating a car without a license. 

Southwest Plane Struck By Lightning While Flying from Chicago to Bradley


A Southwest plane flying from Chicago to Bradley Airport was struck by lightning during storms on Thursday night and was diverted to Manchester, New Hampshire because of storms and wind, according to Southwest Airlines.

Airline officials said flight 873 was affected and flights occasionally sustain lightning strikes during severe weather but passengers were never in jeopardy. 

The plane required an inspection after the strike but airline officials said that was not the reason for the diversion. 

Photo Credit: AP

Renovations To New Haven’s Animal Shelter Begin Next Week


Construction is set to begin Monday that will redesign the front entrance to the New Haven Animal Shelter on Fournier Street.

“We haven’t had a remodel since the mid-1980s,” New Haven Municipal Animal Control Officer Joseph Manganiello said.

Each year the shelter takes in about 800 cats and dogs with the hope of finding them forever homes.

“While they’re here, it’s our job to kind of take care of them,” said Debby Wan, the president of the Friends of the New Haven Animal Shelter.

The organization made up of 35 to 40 volunteers successfully applied for a $95 thousand grant from John T. and Jane A. Weiderhold Foundation to fund improvements to the second largest municipal animal shelter in the state.

“We have done all the design work, all the prep work is done so it’s just a question of getting everything actually finished,” Wan told NBC Connecticut.

As of Friday, noise absorbing panels have already been installed above the dog kennels.

“When the dogs are barking its actually bouncing off the concrete causing an echo,” Manganiello said.

One of the major changes will be moving the cats to a more spacious area.

“You can see as they’re opening the cages they’re actually, there’s only a couple feet for them to visit and its very confined, almost like a closet type of an area,” Manganiello said.

The current reception area will become the new home for the cats with the addition of a new welcome desk for prospective pet owners right where you walk in the front door.

“Our whole reception area, and our whole front lobby will just be more inviting and better for the animals, and better for the guests and also better for the staff,” Manganiello said.

This round of upgrades is expected to be finished by the end of May.

“Only the beginning,” Manganiello said, “because the rest of the building is still very old and needs a lot of work.”

Anyone looking to support renovations at the New Haven’s Animal Shelter, visit the Friends of the New Haven Animal Shelter website

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

When Temperatures Could Approach 80 Degrees


The weekend will start out on a cool note. We're forecasting high temperatures Saturday to be around 50 degrees with partly sunny skies.

The weather will improve by Sunday. Skies will be mostly sunny with temperatures rising into the middle 60s inland and upper 50s along the shoreline.

The warmest weather doesn't arrive until Monday and Tuesday. Temperatures Monday will rise into the 70s and will be near record breaking by Tuesday.

Here's a look at high temperatures for Tuesday. The current high temperature record in the Hartford area is 79 degrees.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

'The Shooting Range': NFA Student Posts Threatening Message


A Norwich Free Academy senior is accused posting a threatening message on his social media account Friday morning, police said. 

James Noel, of Lisbon, allegedly posted a video of a room at the Norwich Free Academy school on Snapchat with the caption, "At the shooting range", Norwich Police Sergeant Michael J. McKinney said. 

A student at Woodstock Academy saw the video and reported it to safety officers at that school, who informed Norwich Free Academy before contacting police, McKinney said. 

The 18-year-old told Norwich Police that he did not mean any harm.

"We take it seriously when anybody makes that sort of threat with the history of things that have gone on in schools," McKinney said.

The school posted a message about the incident on its website. 

Noel was released on a $1,000 non-surety bond. He faces one charge of second-degree breach of peace. 

Photo Credit: Norwich Police

NRA Employee Accidentally Shoots Himself at HQ: Police


A National Rifle Association employee accidentally shot himself while doing firearms training at the organization's headquarters, according to police.

The 46-year-old man's pistol accidentally discharged Thursday afternoon as he holstered the gun in Fairfax County, Virginia, police said.

The accidental shooting happened at the NRA's National Firearms Museum at 11250 Waples Mill Road in Fairfax.

The employee suffered a minor wound to his lower body and was taken to a hospital for treatment, police said.

Officers worked with the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office and no charges are expected, according to police.

News4 has reached out to the NRA for comment, but has not received an immediate response.

Photo Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images

Injured Bald Eagle Found in Suffield


An injured bald eagle found last week is doing well and expected to be released soon, the Suffield CT Police Department said. 

Construction workers in Suffield noticed the obviously injured bald eagle and notified police. 

Suffield Police reported it to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Connecticut State Environmental Conservation Police who came to assess the bird. 

Officials found out she had a number of wounds on her back which likely occurred from another eagle, police said. 

She was taken in for treatment and rehabilitation and is doing well. The bald eagle is expected to be released next week. 

Photo Credit: Suffield CT Police Department

Trump’s Options for N. Korea Include Nukes in S. Korea


The National Security Council has presented President Trump with options to respond to North Korea's nuclear program — including putting American nukes in South Korea or killing dictator Kim Jong-un, multiple top-ranking intelligence and military officials told NBC News.

Both scenarios are part of an accelerated review of North Korea policy prepared in advance of President Donald Trump's meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping this week.

The White House hopes the Chinese will do more to influence Pyongyang through diplomacy and enhanced sanctions. But if that fails, and North Korea continues developing nuclear weapons, there are other options on the table that would significantly alter U.S. policy.

Photo Credit: AP

Group Home Workers Assault Patient With Disabilities: PD


Two group home workers in Hamden are accused of hitting a patient with disabilities with a mop handle, police said. 

The director of resident services for ARC of Meriden and Wallingford reported suspicious injuries on a 19-year-old patient that may have been inflicted by two staff members on Jan. 12, according to Hamden Police. 

Video footage from the group home shows two "direct support staff members", Victoria Dancy, 50, and Melissa Smith, 41, attempting to restrain the victim. The video then shows Dancy and Smith hitting the victim with a broom and mop handle, the police investigation revealed.

Later, the video shows the victim lying on her back while Dancy chokes her. After, Dancy is seen striking the victim with the mop handle again, while the victim lays on the floor, Hamden Police said. 

When the victim's mother noticed the bruises, she contacted the Department of Developmental Services. 

Dancy and Smith were arrested on April 6 and 7, respectively. 

Dancy, of New Haven, was charged with cruelty to persons, assault of a disabled person, strangulation in the second degree, reckless endangerment in the second degree and disorderly conduct. Dancy, who was released after posting bond, is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on April 20.

Smith, of Stratford, was charged with cruelty to persons, assault of a disabled person, reckless endangerment in the second degree and disorderly sonduct. Smith, who was detained on a $25,000.00 bond, is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on April 20.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police

Hartford Marriott Ballroom Closed After 60 Fall Ill


The ballroom of the Marriott Hotel in downtown Hartford has been ordered to shut down, cleaned and sanitized by the city after reports of around 60 people who used the facility fell ill with Norovirus-like symptoms between March 30 and April 4. 

Dr. Gary Rhule, director of the city of Hartford's Health and Human Services Department, released a statement saying they are investigating reports of patrons at the Hartford Marriott and Connecticut Convention Center getting sick with Norovirus-like symptoms, including vomiting, after attending events at the hotel late last week and early this week. 

“On Monday, we received reports of approximately 20 students and several adults becoming ill while attending a three-day event at the Connecticut Convention Center and the Hartford Marriott sponsored by the Connecticut Music Educators Association. Since then, we have learned of similar illnesses involving two other groups that stayed and attended events at the Hartford Marriott last weekend and early this week,” Rhule said in a statement. 

He said the city’s department of Health is working with the state department of public health to speak with people who attended each of the events, as well as staff at the Convention Center and Marriott. 

“We have been informed by the City of Hartford Department of Health and Human Services that some of our recent guests have reported illness consistent with Norovirus. We are working closely with the local Department of Health and Human Services and are following their guidance to address the matter.  We take hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously, and the well-being of our guests remains one of our highest priorities. If you have further questions, please contact the City of Hartford Department of Health and Human Services,” Marriott said in a statement.

The state laboratory is conducting tests on samples from attendees and staff to help determine what the illness is. 

“The City of Hartford has ordered the Marriott to close its ballroom and surrounding areas in order to conduct a thorough cleaning and sanitization of the area. We have also advised the Marriott to take additional steps to ensure potentially affected areas of the hotel facility are properly cleaned and sanitized. The Marriott is cooperating fully in this process. The Connecticut Convention Center is not subject to the order the City imposed on the Marriott,” the statement says. 

Anyone who attended events at the Marriott or Connecticut Convention Center or who stayed at the Marriott over the weekend or early this week and is feeling ill should contact their physician, the department of health urges.

EDITOR'S NOTE: NBC Connecticut was told the Centers for Disease Control was also investigating, but have found that this information is incorrect. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Ohio Man Accused of Chasing Family Member With Hatchet


An Ohio man was arrested after he allegedly chased a family member with a hatchet.

Noel E. Dawson, 63, of Toledo, was charged Tuesday with domestic violence, assault, criminal damaging, and failure to disclose personal information.

The Toledo Blade reports that Dawson allegedly chased a relative Sunday with a hatchet, swinging the small ax at the man. Dawson tried to hit the man but missed, striking his car instead — leaving a large dent in the hood, according to the Blade.

Dawson refused to give the arresting officer his information and shouted obscenities, court records show.

Dawson has pleaded not guilty. A Toledo County judge ordered him held Tuesday on $50,000 bond.

Attorney information was not immediately available.

Photo Credit: Toledo Police Department

Jupiter Is Shining Super-Bright Friday Night, and Here’s Why


Jupiter will rise in the East around sunset and will be visible all night, weather permitting, NBC News reported.

On April 7, Jupiter makes its closest approach to Earth this year, coming to within about 414 million miles of our home planet and appearing extraordinarily bright in the night sky.

No special equipment is needed to enjoy this Jovian close-up, a phenomenon astronomers call Jupiter "at opposition" because the planet and the sun are on opposite sides of Earth.

If you're stuck indoors — or if clouds obscure the sky — you can enjoy a live stream featuring telescopic views of Jupiter and its moons in the video player above.

Photo Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble SM4 ERO Team via Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Middletown Dog Stranded on Island Reunited With Owner


A Middletown dog was reunited with its owner after going missing and then being found stranded on an island.

Sophie is blind, diabetic and has a thyroid problem, but on Friday, she and her owner didn't have a care in the world.

"I already was having a mental funeral for my dog because she was gone, and I was never getting her back," Sophie's owner Marcus Keilch said.

Keilch said Sophie disappeared Wednesday night when he let her out in his backyard.

"I came out to get her, and she's not there," Keilch said. 

Keilch posted photos of his dog on Facebook, asking anyone if they'd seen her.

Almost a day later, firefighters said she was found on an island. 

"There was a dog sitting on an island," said Middletown South Fire District firefighter Jason Hurlbot.

Hurlbot was part of the crew that rescued the lost and lonely pup from an island in a nearby stream.

"I thought she would jump into the water, because when I was calling the dog's name, it was excited someone was there," said Hurlbot.

"It's just one of those calls that makes people's days, because dogs are basically somebody's family," said Hurlbot.

For Keilch, Sophie has been a family member for nine years.

"I didn't think I was ever going to see her again. We all thought that," said Keilch.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

CT Business Owner From Syria Reacts to U.S. Missile Attack


The United States is warning there could be another military strike on Syria less than 24 hours after President Donald Trump authorized the launch of nearly 60 tomahawk missiles at a Syrian airfield.

It is the same site where intelligence officials said Syrian government fighters initiated a chemical attack earlier in the week that killed at least 100 civilians.

“It was wrong action hitting Syria without going back to the American people and Congress," said Eddie Jabbour, owner of the 9th Square Market in New Haven.

It has been 27 years since Jabbour moved to the United States, but his mother, sister and brothers still live in Syria, near the Mediterranean coast.

“They definitely far away from all the problems,” he said. “I definitely worry, it's my country, I mean-- I love Syria as much as I love here."

Jabbour said the U.S. military response is a rushed retaliation against Bash al-Assad’s government.

“We can't point the finger unless we are 100 percent sure he did it,” Jabbour said of Assad. “If he did it, I'm 100 percent against him."

Trump said Thursday night it is vital to the national security of the United States to stop the spread of chemical weapons.

“No child of God should ever suffer such horror," Trump said.

Late Friday afternoon outside New Haven’s City Hall, a group of demonstrators affiliated with the U.S. Peace Council rallied against what it calls the “unilateral bombing” of Syria.

"The slightest misstep can lead to a catastrophe unlike anything we've ever had,” U.S. Peace Council President Alfred Marder said. “This is the time for diplomacy."

Despite the ongoing civil war in his homeland, Jabbour is planning to take a trip there soon.

“I'm going in June back in Syria to see my mother-- she is 85 years old,” he said

Jabbour said he would like to see an international coalition surgically take out Islamic extremist terrorists in Syria. Ultimately, he said, it is up to the Syrian people, not the U.S. or Russia, to decide who will govern their country.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Fire Rips Through Park Street Building in Hartford


A raging second-alarm fire destroyed one of Hartford's so-called "perfect six" buildings on Friday night. 

The building was nicknamed for its symmetrical design, but NBC Connecticut learned this was the second fire at the location this year. 

“There was a fire in this building a few months ago. So because of that no one was living in the building at the time," Hartford Fire Captain Raul Ortiz said.

The fire on Park Street happened around 5:30 p.m. before firefighters got the flames under control within the hour. 

"Companies went defensive to protect exposures on a working fire," Ortiz tweeted during the fire. 

The building was undergoing renovations after the previous fire. 

A neighbor captured on cellphone video as flames tore through the next door building in Hartford. Before being rushed out, the neighbor recorded as fire shot out of the windows on the second and third floor.

No injuries were reported.

Photo Credit: Hartford Fire Department

Vandalism Spree Reported in Burlington and Harwinton


Connecticut State Police are investigating a vandalism spree that occurred in Burlington and Harwinton overnight.

Police said around 1:45 a.m. Saturday calls started coming in reporting vandalism in the area of the George Washington Turnpike in Burlington. The callers reported vehicles and homes egged and shot with paint balls. There were also complaints of mailboxes and lamp posts missing or damaged.

There were around 40 reports of vandalism, police said.

Police are actively investigating. Anyone with information should contact Troop L at 860-626-7900.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Girl Safe, Woman Dead and Suspect at Large After Amber Alert


A 2-year-old New Britain girl who was the subject of an Amber Alert was found safe in New York early Saturday morning, and now the focus of the investigation has shifted to finding the man who took her, who is a possible suspect in an untimely death investigation tied to the case.

Connecticut State Police issued an Amber Alert for Paisley Miles after she was taken by her father Patrick Miles Friday night from a condominium at 48 North Mountain Road, according to police.

New Britain police said that a woman was at that home suffering from an apparent gunshot wound to the head. She was pronounced dead on scene. At this time police are calling this an untimely death, and the medical examiner will determine the exact cause and nature of death.

Police said the victim had a domestic relationship with Miles, but did not release her identity or other details.

Officers initially responded to the condo around 10 p.m. after a neighbor called 911 reporting the sounds of fighting in the unit. When no one answered the door, police forced entry to the home and found the victim unresponsive in a bedroom.

Police said based on what they found in the home they determined that that two children may have lived there. One child was located with a family member in Connecticut. When the second, Paisley, could not be located, the Amber Alert was issued.

Paisley Miles was found with family members in Brooklyn, New York around 4 a.m. Saturday. Authorities believe that Patrick Miles took Paisley and dropped her off with a relative in New York. That relative is cooperating with the police investigation.

Paisley was taken to the hospital as a precaution and found to be unharmed. She is currently with family members in Connecticut, according to New Britain police.

Police said Patrick Miles is a person of interest and possible suspect in the investigation. He is described as a 36-year old male, 5’9” tall. He was last seen driving a mid-90’s silver and grey Chevy Malibu.

According to New Britain police, Miles does have a criminal history in Connecticut.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact New Britain police at 860 826-3000 or the anonymous TIPS line at 860-826-3299. Tips can also be made online at newbritainpolice.org.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

US Strikes in Syria Trigger Protests in San Francisco, NYC


The night after the U.S. military launched missiles into a Syrian air base, protests brewed across the country. From San Francisco to New York, people spoke out against President Donald Trump’s show of power.

The Syrian military said the strike killed at least seven people and wounded nine others, according to The Associated Press. The U.S., at Trump's command, launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at a Syrian airfield in response to a deadly chemical attack in Idlib on Tuesday.

"I'm vehemently opposed to bombing of Syria," said David Welsh of Berkeley, California. "We need to pull back from the brink. This is a terrible development."

Trump said he ordered the action after seeing proof that Syrian President Bashar Assad was responsible for the chemical attack, which killed more than 80 people.

Protesters said they aren't convinced Assad is responsible.

The president may view the attack as a success if the use of chemical weapons stops. But political experts say with the show of force is risky, with Russia backing Assad.

"This plunges us into an arena that puts us in a position of danger," said Karthika Sasikumar, a political science professor at San Jose State University. "Risking escalation with Russia – we might regret doing this."

Russia called the bombing a significant blow to U.S.-Russian relations.

“The U.S. needs to come home, take care of business here, and stop interfering in other countries in the world,” Welsh said.

Protesters are urging people to rally together and show the Trump administration that they don't support military involvement in the Middle East.

In Manhattan, New York, hundreds of demonstrators took to the streets of Midtown and Union Square to voice their opposition to the U.S. strikes on Syria on Friday night.

"It's only going to escalate the violence," protester Martin Jennings said. "I'm really concerned about the future of the Syrian people."

Thursday's attack was the first direct American assault on the Syrian government and Trump's most dramatic military order since becoming president just over two months ago. The strikes also risk thrusting the U.S. deeper into an intractable conflict that his predecessor spent years trying to avoid.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

US Soldier Killed in Anti-ISIS Operations: Military


A U.S. soldier was killed while conducting operations against ISIS in Afghanistan late on Saturday, a U.S. military spokesman said in a message posted on Twitter.

"The soldier was mortally wounded late Saturday during an operation in Nangarhar Province" in eastern Afghanistan, U.S. Navy Captain Bill Salvin said in a message on the official Twitter account of the NATO-led Resolute Support mission.

He was the first U.S. soldier casualty in Afghanistan in 2017 for the Resolute Support mission, a NATO spokesman confirmed to NBC News. The circumstances of his death were unclear.

As Reuters reports, in 2016, nine American service members were killed in action in Afghanistan as part of the mission.

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Brennan Linsley, File

Hacking Caused Late-Night Sirens


The late night sounding of emergency warning sirens in the city of Dallas, Texas, was due to a hacker being able to access and repeatedly activate the system, Dallas city officials say.

Outdoor warning sirens sounded in Dallas overnight Friday, causing alarm despite no severe weather or other active emergency in the area.

The sirens were first heard at about 11:45 p.m., and sounded on and off intermittently across the city.

"All 156 sirens in the city were activated last night," Dallas public information officer Sana Syed said. "It does appear at this time that it was a hack. We do believe that it was from the Dallas area."

Someone was able to gain access to the system and activate the sirens, city officials said.

“I was concerned because it was dark, and we didn’t know if it was something we were driving into or walking into,” Dart bus driver Billy Summers said. He was driving his route 466 through Oak Cliff and south Dallas when the sirens began to sound.

“Most of the people on the bus were concerned about what it was. I was too. I knew the weather wasn’t bad, and it couldn’t have been a test because it was going on for so long. I told my passengers not to panic,” Summers said.

Within the first 15 minutes of the sirens going off, emergency dispatchers received around 800 calls, and the longest wait time was six minutes, according to the city’s public information officer.

"From 11:30 [p.m.] to 3 a.m. we had around 4,400 calls come into the 911 call center. Just to give you a frame of reference, from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. we normally get about half of that,” Syed said.

The system was finally shut down around 1:20 a.m.

"First, we apologize to all of the citizens," Director of the City of Dallas Office of Emergency Management Rocky Vaz said. "We did our very best. We shut down the system as quickly as possible, and now we have pinpointed one area where they were able to get into our system and activate the sirens."

Officials originally said they expected to have the emergency sirens operational by Sunday or Monday. A tweet from Syed's official public Twitter account late Saturday said that the "outdoor warning system is now operational" and that "[m]ore safeguards [were] being put in place" this weekend. Her tweet indicated that more information would be available Sunday.

Photo Credit: NBCDFW.com
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live