Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

First Alert: Minor Flooding Possible Tuesday Night


NBC Connecticut Meteorologists have issued a 'First Alert' for minor flooding possible tomorrow night. 

[[420277803, C]]

Light rain will overspread the state late tonight and tomorrow morning. Occasional periods of rain will continue though the afternoon hours.

Heavier rain moves in Tuesday evening and into the early morning hours on Wednesday. This is when we believe minor flooding could occur. Here's a look at future radar which shows heavy rain falling throughout the state late Tuesday night. 

[[420277883, C]]

Scattered rain showers will linger into the first part of Wednesday. Partial clearing will take place by the afternoon with a few peeks of sunshine.

Here's a look at one of our computer models which shows rainfall totals of 1 to 2 inches by Wednesday afternoon.

[[420277663, C]]

Warmer air moves into the state for the end of the workweek and weekend. High temperatures are forecasted to reach the low 70s Thursday, upper 70s Friday, and low 80s by Saturday.

Make sure to download the NBC Connecticut App for the latest forecast and intercative radar.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

College Graduate Has a Message for Stepdad Who Said He'd Fail


One college graduate's tweet that recalls the chiling words his stepdad told him years ago has resulted in a viral wave of praise across social media. 

Daivon Reeder, 22, took to Twitter last week to tweet a photo of himself smiling in his cap and gown with an ode to his stepdad's previously negative comments. 

The tweet read: "My step dad told me it was pointless to go to orientation, I wasn't going to graduate.....4 years later he in jail & I'm well.... "

By Monday, the Detroit native's tweet garnered more than 602,000 likes and 148,000 retweets. 

"The last few days I've been thinking about all the trials and tribulations I've been going through," Reeder said before he graduated from Eastern Michigan University on Saturday. 

Reeder said his stepdad told him there was "no point" of going to college because he would not graduate. 

“Stuff happens to you. You can run left or right,” Reeder said. “I ran right in a positive way.”

Reeder told Jermont Terry, a reporter at NBC affiliate WDIV-TV, that he did not publish the tweet to bash his stepdad but rather to motivate others who may be faced with challenges. Reeder perservered through school even after losing his academic scholarship. 

Terry reports that Reeder will graduate with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and a minor in military science. 

Photo Credit: WDIV-TV
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Superintendent of Connecticut Technical High School Resigns


The superintendent of the Connecticut Technical High School system has resigned, the Connecticut State Department of Education announced Monday. 

Dr. Nivea Torres resignation was accepted by Commissioner Dianna Wentzell and Chairman Robert Trefry.

"Dr. Torres’ effective advocacy for the System and her understanding of its importance to the community enabled the System to be more responsive to regional workforce needs and increased industry partnerships. During Dr. Torres’ tenure, programs in manufacturing, digital media, health technology and media expanded and graduation rates improved," the state's education department said. 

Torres will step down from her position effective May 1, 2017.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Technical High School

85-Year-Old Reported Missing From New Hartford Located


A Silver Alert for an 85-year-old man missing from New Hartford has been canceled.

Connecticut State Police canceled the Silver Alert for Armand Gorneault, who had been missing since Sunday, Monday morning, stating he had been located.

No other details were provided.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

SEE IT SHARE IT: Plane Crashes in Meriden


Photo Credit: Frank Ricci/@NHFDRicci

New London On Edge After Coyote Attacks


Many New London residents are taking extra precautions to protect their pets after multiple reported coyote sightings and a few attacks.

People have noticed coyotes in the streets, following them on walks, and some have reportedly attacked dogs. While coyotes aren’t new to New London neighborhoods, people said they seem to be too comfortable lately.

“Seeing them during the day is a little shocking,” said Jonathan Burdick, who lives on Parkway South in New London.

Burdick took a picture of a coyote on Glenwood Avenue, which borders his home. He’s concerned because he has two outdoor cats and three kids, one of which is a toddler.

“I was getting the kids ready to put in the car and bring them to school and was shocked to see the coyote out by the back of the car,” he said, comparing the size of the animal to a German Shepard.

One resident, Corina, said coyotes had mauled her puppy just a couple of weeks ago.

“He had a gash on him, his muzzle was bloodied, his eye – just now he doesn’t have a black eye,” Corina said.

Jon Colburn works on Glenwood Avenue and said the coyote he’s seen don’t scare easily and walk right in the middle of the street or on people’s lawns.

Colburn said a woman who lives near his place of work had her dog killed by one.

“Said she watched the dog, her little dog, get taken by the coyote right through the backyard and through everybody’s yard. She said she chased it, and it wouldn’t drop it,” Colburn said.

Acting New London Police Chief Peter Reichard said he’s hearing complaints about coyotes mostly from the southern end of the city. While officers and animal control are investigating claims, animal control is not able to handle wildlife.

Mayor Michael Passero said the city could hire a licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Officer by submitting a permit application through the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), but the city doesn’t meet the requirements.

Neighborhoods around Ocean Beach have been posting their sightings and concerns on on-line neighborhood groups.

Phyllis Teeson, who also lives on Glenwood Avenue, said because of the several coyote sightings, she’s extra cautious when she takes walks.

“(The coyote) came out between houses and I frightened him, maybe, because we just sort of stared each other down. Now I carry a stick with me when I go out walking,” Teeson said.

A Wildlife Biologist from DEEP addressed the community concerns Monday night at Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School.

“What going to happen when a child corners this coyote and it rips its face off?," asked New London resident Lisa Darling. She was among a large crowd who was raising concerns to police, the mayor and DEEP officials on Monday night. Several residents are worried about coyotes coming closer, being bolder and even going after family pets.

“This thing is clearly not afraid of people. It’s not afraid of dogs," said Darling.

Many of the people who attended the community forum at Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School said they wanted to be able to better protect their pets and themselves.

“I have her on a leash. My garbage is covered. I don’t feed coyotes," said Mamie Bauduccio-Rock, a New London resident. She said she and her small dog had a run-in with a coyote a few days ago.

"I looked behind me, in broad daylight, and one of the coyotes was running after us," said Bauduccio-Rock.

Wildlife officials said much of the coyotes' behavior is based on human behavior. They advised residents not to give coyotes access to any food source - which could include a family pet. Pets should be secured and supervised at all times, a DEEP official said.

City officials urged residents to document the whereabouts and actions of coyotes to give experts a better idea of the locations in which coyotes may have built dens.

“It’s when through human interaction that they start to change their behavior that they become a problem," said New London Mayor Michael Passero.

Members of the police department present at the community forum said they would respond - with force, if necessary - if someone is threatened by an aggressive or sick coyote.

Dennis Schain, the spokesperson for DEEP, told NBC Connecticut in an email that coyotes are often out during the day and while, it’s a little unusual to spot them in urban areas, it does happen.

They’re also not known to attack humans. But to scare one off, act 'big', stomp, yell and bang something until it goes away.

Photo Credit: Adina Alexandru

Hartford Special Election Could See Left Turn


Hartford's North End is a historic Democratic stronghold, but that could take an even more liberal turn after Tuesday's Special House Election.

Rick Pinckney, a Democrat, is going up against Joshua Hall, a Working Families Party Candidate.

The Working Families Party has a small foothold in the General Assembly, with many members of the Democratic Caucus seeing cross-endorsements as the party has viewed their progressive credentials as acceptable.

Sen. Ed Gomes in Bridgeport even won a General Election race as a Working Families Party candidate, even though he had previously and continues to be a Democrat.

Hall, who works for the Hartford Federation of Teachers, says when it comes to budget issues, he's a hawk for making sure the wealthy take care of the poor.

“Connecticut has given them a good life, a very good life, and we need to make sure that extends to other people as well.”

Hall, too, has pledged to caucus with Democrats.

Pinckney, who's known in Hartford Democratioc circles, describes himself as being familiar to voters in the historically deep blue district.

He's so familiar in fact, and is banking hard on traditional Democratic support, that he put former President Barack Obama on campaign mailers.

“The majority of our community are Democrats and they want to see the Democratic member, the endorsed Democratic member go out and vote for us every time.”

The seat Hall and Pinckney are vying for was previously held by Douglas McCrory, who vacated his seat when he won a Special Election for the State Senate district that includes the 7th State House District.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Religious Leaders Stand Together Against Hate Crimes in New Haven


Following a wave of bomb threats that shook the Jewish community, 17 local religious organizations took part in active shooter awareness training Monday with FBI and police at a New Haven synagogue.

Rabbi Jon-Jay Tilsen from Congregation Beth-El Kesser Israel quoted a Jewish psalm as leaders from different communities stood in unity against hate crimes at his synagogue.

"How wonderful it is when people – diverse people – can live together as brothers and sisters," Tilsen said.

The NAACP, Bethel AME Church of New Haven and the Sikh Community of Connecticut were some of the groups represented at a joint press conference.

"Threat on any place of worship I consider as a threat on their identity," said Swaranjit Singh Khalsa of the Sikh Community of Connecticut said.

From early January into March, 220 calls threatening bombs or violence were made to Jewish institutions in 43 stages, including the JCCs in Woodbridge and West Hartford, FBI Special Agent in Charge Patricia Ferrick said.

The arrest of 18-year-old dual American-Israeli citizen Michael Kadar in connection to the hoax threats of violence is a relief for local the Jewish community. He is now facing federal charges out of Florida and Georgia.

"We were really living in a state of high alert and anticipating when the next email would come, the next phone call," said Judy Alperin, CEO of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven.

The message from Connecticut's U.S. Attorney Deirdre Daly is to remain vigilant against threats to any religious community.

"As members of the public out there, I urge you to speak up when you see an incident of violence or an incident of hate, speak up, and if you think that it may actually be a crime, report it," Daly said.

The JCC of Greater New Haven has tightened security procedures and was one of the organizations represented at the active shooter training.

"So that we can be better prepared for what is really the unimaginable," Alperin said.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Dad Dead, Son Injured After Plane Crashes in Wallingford


One person is dead and another seriously injured after a small plane crashed near the Meriden Markham Municipal Airport in Wallingford. 

The person killed in the crash has been identified as Joseph Tomanelli, 56, of Cheshire.

Tomanelli's son, 21-year-old David, was transported to the Yale-New Haven Hospital for serious but non-life threatening injuries. 

The father and son were attempting to land, according to Wallingford Police. 

Wallingford Police and Meriden Police said they both responded to the scene east of the airport on Hanover Avenue just after 6:28 p.m. The airport is located near the Meriden-Wallingford town line. 

The small plane went through a chain-linked fence before crashing on a berm on Hanover Avenue. The plane was engulfed in flames, Wallingford Police said in a press conference on Monday night. 

Evansville Avenue on the north side at Baker Avenue is closed. 

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will be the primary agenices investigating the crash.

No other information was immediately available. 

Please follow NBC Connecticut as this story develops. 

Photo Credit: Frank Ricci/@NHFDRicci
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Water Main Break Causes Basement Flooding in Middletown


A water main break forced crews to shut off water service to about a dozen homes on Miner Street in Middletown Tuesday, and at least one homeowner in the area reported flooding in her basement.

Police said crews were called to Miner Street near Smith Street around 2 a.m. for a water main break and crews found water flooding the ground, about a foot high.

Crews had some trouble shutting off the water because the gates were underwater and they are working to make repairs. About a dozen homes were affected by the shutoff.

Shortly after 3 p.m., all repairs were done and the roads were reopened, Middletown Police reported. 

The water main is about 50 years old. Middletown Field Maintenance Manager Tom Tetrault said they are not yet sure what caused the break, but weather usually plays a role.

“You’ve got the cold weather, so you got the heaving and everything and we’re currently doing a flushing system also. That could have some impact on this,” Tetrault said.

Tetrault added that because of the mild winter, Middletown hasn’t suffered many water main breaks this year.

One homeowner told NBC Connecticut she had two inches of standing water in her basement Tuesday morning.

Heather Iaderosa said a police officer came to her door around 2:15 a.m. and warned her to move her family’s cars to higher ground.

“The water was coming in from the street, from down the road, it came right in to our front yard, down our driveway,” Iaderosa said.

The family tried to make a dam to keep the water at bay, but it flooded into the basement. Area firefighters came in and pumped the water out.

For some, the morning’s events were just an inconvenience.

“We’re packing our toothbrush with us to go to the breakfast place,” said Barbara Erlendson, who woke up without water.

“We need to not take water and power and the things that we enjoy every day for granted. We need to be more prepared,” she added.

As of 10 a.m. officials anticipated that the water would be turned back on around noon.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Investigation Continues Into 'Issues' in Hernandez's Death


Even though Aaron Hernandez is gone, many questions about his life remain - especially about his last words, left in notes written before he committed suicide in his cell last week.

Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Massachusetts, remains on lockdown as the investigation continues into "issues" surrounding Hernandez, according to a sidebar comment from the state’s public safety secretary, Daniel Bennett. 

That sidebar took place during a court hearing Monday to have three letters written by Hernandez turned over to this family, which has since happened. Bennett reportedly said that the prison remains locked down "because of issues with Mr. Hernandez. And things that have happened with Mr. Hernandez." The subject of the investigation was not disclosed.

According to the state Department of Correction, a search of the prison is being conducted and it will remain locked down for the duration of the search. "This type of search is done from time to time at the request of the Superintendent based upon the operational needs of the facility," the agency said.

Hernandez, 27, was serving a life sentence for murder and was acquitted in two other killings just days before he hanged himself with a bed sheet attached to his cell window in the early morning hours of April 19.

Authorities said investigators found three handwritten notes next to a Bible in Hernandez's cell. Two of the notes were to his 4-year-old daughter and fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins Hernandez. A third note was to fellow inmate Kyle Kennedy. 

Kennedy's lawyer released a statement Monday saying his client "...is deeply saddened by the loss of his friend." 

The contents of the suicide notes have not been made public, but Bennett said in court Monday that Hernandez essentially told people "don't cry for him, he's going to be happy in the afterlife."

Monday's developments happened as Hernandez's funeral was taking place in his hometown of Bristol, Connecticut. Hernandez's family plans to have his remains cremated.

The family's attorneys have pledged to get to the bottom of Hernandez's life in prison. Jenkins Hernandez has also filed court papers indicating that she may sue over the supervision Hernandez received while in prison. The filing argues that authorities had a legal duty to provide safety and protection from personal injury to inmates in state custody.

Hernandez was locked in his cell around 8 p.m. on March 18 and no one entered until a correction officer observed him around 3 a.m. the following day and forced his way in, according to investigators.

SUICIDE PREVENTION HELP: The National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Text HOME to 741741 for a Crisis Text Line.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Texas-Bound United Plane Makes 'Terrifying' Emergency Landing


A Texas-bound United Airlines plane was forced to make an emergency landing after one of its engines overheated while flying over the Pacific Ocean, passengers say.

Flight 1516 departed Liberia, Costa Rica, to Houston, Texas, Monday before the 737 experienced "a maintenance issue," according to United Airlines spokesperson Erin Benson.

The pilot returned to Liberia's Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport for an emergency landing.

Jody Genessy, a passenger on the flight, told NBC News it was one of the most terrifying things he has ever experienced.

"We circled for about an hour dumping fuel and when we went in for a landing, the plane tipped quickly to one side," Genessy said.

"My friends on the other side of the plane said they saw the wings almost touched the tarmac and then went too far back to the other side...and he [the pilot] pulled up. It was about a split second. Then we circled around again and it was wobbly and we were all freaking out."

"It was a pretty horrifying way to end an amazing weekend," Genessy said.

Genessy told NBC News United provided him and his wife meal vouchers and a room at a nearby hotel ahead of their rescheduled flight Tuesday.

"United is getting a lot of grief right now, and I’m a Delta guy, but my hat’s off to the pilot," Genessy added. "As far as I’m concerned, he saved our lives."

A new aircraft was dispatched to take passengers to Houston Tuesday.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Police Investigating Threat Found at Torrington High School


Police are investigating after a threatening statement was found on the wall of a girls’ bathroom at Torrington High School Monday and extra police officers were placed at the school as a precaution.

School officials and police investigated Monday, spoke with several students and determined there was no credible evidence of an imminent threat, police said.

Investigators are not sure how long the statement was on the wall or what the circumstances were for it being written.

Authorities are continuing to investigate and said any talk of violence in a school will result in an arrest.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Fire Station to Be Dedicated in Honor of Kevin Bell


The city of Hartford will rededicate the Blue Hills Avenue fire station in honor of a firefighter who died in the line of duty in 2014. 

Firefighters will rededicate Engine 16 as the Kevin L. Bell Fire Station on Sunday, which is Kevin Bell’s birthday. 

Bell, a 48-year-old Hartford native who joined the Hartford Fire Department in 2008, was killed while fighting a house fire in the North End of Hartford in October 2014

A federal report found 10 factors led to Bell's death, including that his tank ran out of air. That report led to improvements across the Hartford Fire Department. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Investigating Bank Robbery in Greenwich


Police are investigating a bank robbery in Greenwich.

The robbery happened at the Chase Bank on Lockwood Lane and several police officers are at the scene, according to police.

The robber indicated he had a gun and demanded cash, according to police.

An ambulance was called to respond, but no injuries are reported.

The man police are looking for looks like he is in his 30s. He is stocky, around 5-feet-7 and tried to cover his face with clothing.

Police said they believe this robbery is connected to one at a Citgo gas station in Cos Cob Monday.

Photo Credit: Greenwich Police

Crash Caused Delays on I-91 North

One Dead After Crash on Route 5/15 in Wethersfield


A Hartford man is dead after a crash on Route 15/5 in Wethersfield Tuesday morning, according to state police.

The deceased victim has been identified as 48-year-old Jose Guzman, of Hartford.

A second person, identified as a 36-year-old from Waterbury, was taken to Hartford Hospital for evaluation. Police said it was unclear who was driving.

Connecticut State Police said Guzman and the other man were traveling in a Buick Lacrosse in the right lane of Route 5/15 North near the Wethersfield-Hartford line.

For some reason the vehicle swerved into the shoulder and hit a guardrail before breaking loose and striking the guardrail off the left shoulder. The car then went airborne before hitting a tree and rolling over, landing on its roof.

Guzman was thrown from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The crash remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Navy SEAL Extradited to Virginia for Alleged Child Pornography


The Navy SEAL accused of recording himself molesting a young girl while she slept and possessing dozens of images of child pornography has been extradited to Virginia, the District Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia confirmed.

SEAL Team One Petty Officer 1st Class Gregory Kyle Seerden, 31, of San Diego, was arrested by federal marshals April 3 in California after a three-month investigation. He is a member of SEAL Team One, based in Coronado, California.

Seerden remained in the custody of U.S. Marshals until he was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia, Monday where federal charges have been filed, according to the district attorney's office. It was not immediately known when Seerden would face a judge in Virginia. 

Naval Criminal Investigative Service agents began investigating Seerden in January after a woman reported he had sexually assaulted her at his hotel on the Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek in Virginia while she intoxicated.

As part of the investigation into the alleged sexual assault, NCIS investigators got permission to seize Seerden’s iPhone 7. Investigators reportedly found 78 images of child pornography, including an image involving a dog, and videos Seerden made of himself a sleeping girl, according to the court documents.

The Top Trump Controversies of The First 100 Days


The first 100 days of President Donald Trump's time in office have been marked by near-daily controversies, from surprise allegations to early morning tweet storms, NBC News reports.

They started right out of the gate, as White House press secretary Sean Spicer used his first press briefing to chide the media for "shameful" reporting about the size of the crowd at Trump's inauguration the day before, despite photos showing a much smaller turnout than President Barack Obama got in 2009.

The next day, senior Trump adviser Kellyanne told NBC News' Chuck Todd that Spicer's statement wasn't false, he just gave "alternative facts," a phrase that quickly went viral.

Then there were controversial policies, like the travel ban that federal judges have blocked, the Russia-election investigation — plus Trump's allegation that "Obama had my 'wires tapped' in Trump Tower" — and more.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Cellphone Catches Fire in Yale-New Haven Hospital


A person suffered minor injuries when his cellphone caught fire in his pocket in the emergency department at Yale-New Haven Hospital Tuesday morning. 

Officials said the man was in part of the emergency department when the phone caught fire and he suffered some minor burns to his thigh. 

Medical personnel treated the man and he is fine, officials said. 

The hospital relocated a few patients from a small portion of the department for a few moments, then moved them back afterward and everything is back to normal now, hospital officials said.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live