Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Route 9 in Chester Shut Down Following Car, Motorcycle Accident

New Program Connects Overdose Victims With 'Recovery Coaches'


With a significant uptick in opioid overdoses in the southeastern part of Connecticut, the state is creating a way to connect people battling addiction with others who can "coach" them. 

The Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) teamed up with the Connecticut Community for Addiction and Recovery (CCAP) to create the program that provides support to overdose victims in the emergency department by connecting them to "recovery coaches".

These coaches, who have battled addiction first-hand, help connect these patients to treatment and services.

The program launched last month at Manchester Memorial Hospital. Lawrence and Memorial (L+M), Windham and William Backus Hospitals are now part of it, too.

So far, coaches have been able to connect more than 40 people to recovery, according the emergency department recovery coach manager for CCAP.

“I have nine years clean off of heroin,” said Katie Siekiera, one of the recovery coaches.

Siekiera said that success came after nine to 14 detoxes or inpatient treatments. It was when she became pregnant with her first child that she made a permanent life change.

As a recovery coach, she’s shared her experiences with overdose patients.

“You could see hope in her eyes from sharing my story and letting her know that I didn’t get it on the first time, either,” Siekiera said. 

Over the last three years, doctors at L+M have seen heroin overdoses more than double: rising from 74 in 2014, to 98 in 2015, to 164 last year.

In 2016, more than 900 people died statewide from accidental overdoses. Most involved opioids, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

“It’s work to be done. Recovery is a process,” said David Santiago, another recovery coach.

For 27 years, Santiago has worked to recover from his heroin and cocaine addictions, battling relapses along the way. He's now been clean for close to two years and wants to help others do the same.

“Here I am, just trying to help others help themselves,” Santiago said. “It helps me every day.”

Photo Credit: Getty Images

New Britain Man Arraigned as Victim’s Mom Speaks Out


The man accused of killing his wife and then fleeing the state with their 2-year-old daughter faced a judge on Wednesday. 

Patrick Miles, 36, was arraigned on charges of murder, criminal possession of a firearm and criminal use of a weapon at New Britain Superior Court.

Miles is being held on a $2.5 million bond.

New Britain Police found his wife, Yasheeka Miles, dead with a gunshot wound to the head at their New Britain apartment on April 8.

Police quickly realized the couple’s 2-year-old daughter Paisley was missing. An Amber Alert was issued and the search began, as police believed she was with her father Patrick.

The child was found hours later unharmed at the home of relatives in Brooklyn, New York.

Miles was found five days later in West Springfield, Massachusetts.

After he was arraigned in court and ordered to be held on a $2.5 million dollar bond, Adriene Lauray, the victim’s mother, spoke with NBC Connecticut about her daughter.

“Yasheeka had changed her life. And he just didn’t understand it. Yasheeka was in college, she was working. She was taking care of her kids,” Said Lauray. “When she changed. He didn’t want to change. And I know he’s responsible for her death there’s no question in my mind about that.”

Yasheeka was 33 years old at the time of her death. She was also a student at Capital Community College and a mother of two.

Lauray describes her daughter as sweet, charming and always smiling.

“That’s her nickname, ‘Mouda.’ We called her ‘Mouda.’ We called her Ti-Ti. She was doing a good job—a fantastic job. I was very proud of Yasheeka and what she was doing.”

Instead of being by her daughter’s side today, she has her daughter only in spirit.

“My daughter is gone and all I can wait for is justice. That’s it,” said Lauray.

Now the victim’s mother said she will be the caretaker of her daughter’s two children.

Miles’ affidavit was not available after his arraignment today.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Well-Known Names Among 100 ESPN Layoffs


ESPN is laying off around 100 employees, including anchors, reporters and writers who have covered everything from the NFL and NHL, as well as college football and basketball.

Among the employees who announced on Twitter that they are no longer working for ESPN are Jayson Stark, Trent Dilfer and Ed Werder.

ESPN president John Skipper released a statement to employees today

“A necessary component of managing change involves constantly evaluating how we best utilize all of our resources, and that sometimes involves difficult decisions,” Skipper wrote and said there will be changes in the talent lineup

Officials from Bristol, Connecticut-based ESPN said the majority of the nearly 100 layoffs are not based in Connecticut. 

A tweet from ESPN PR said, "Managing change involves difficult decisions ..."

Jayson Stark Tweeted that today is his last day covering baseball for ESPN after 17 years.

Veteran ESPN reporter Ed Werder tweeted that he was informed that he was being laid off, effective immediately.

Trent Dilfer was also let go and announced that he was laid off on Twitter.

“Our content strategy – primarily illustrated in recent months by melding distinct, personality-driven SportsCenter TV editions and digital-only efforts with our biggest sub-brand – still needs to go further, faster…and as always, must be efficient and nimble," Skipper wrote.

He added that "dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent—anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play—necessary to meet those demands."  

The statement went on to say that beyond changes to the company's talent lineup this week, a handful of new jobs would be posted "to fill various needs."

“These decisions impact talented people who have done great work for our company. I would like to thank all of them for their efforts and their many contributions to ESPN,” Skipper wrote.

Sports and entertainment industry watchers say reductions are ESPN were inevitable since they've been responsible for the economics of the the industry changing for decades.

ESPN's media and broadcasting rights agreements with the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, and NCAA are all expensive enterprises and the company needs to figure out ways to monetize all of them so they make sense for the bottom line.

Rich Hanley, an Associate Professor of Journalism at Quinnipiac University, says the layoffs announced Wednesday, and the significant reduction in October 2015 are indications that the company has struggled to keep the money flowing in.

“ESPN has to adjust, adapt to not only the coverage of the game but what it has on before the games, during the games, and after the games," he said.

In addition, with more people "cord-cutting," the practice of cancelling cable television subscriptions and relying solely on the internet, has been another hit to ESPN's cable-heavy business model.

It's estimated that ESPN lost more than nine million subscribers in 2016.

Hanley said, "In any business that has that drop off in paying customers has to react to it and ESPN is reacting to it by shrinking its workforce or recalibrating it around the new digital model or anything it can figure out to get those eyeballs back on ESPN whether its on a smartphone or some other device.”

The State of Connecticut also has a stake in ESPN's success. ESPN is part of the state's "First Five," economic incentive program.

ESPN had to invest $150 million in its Bristol campus, and hire 150 new employees in Bristol by June 15, 2015 in order to receive $10 million in total tax incentives that they could spread out over multiple years.

The company quickly complied by investing $200 million in its Bristol headquarters, and it hired more than 150 people.

Catherine Smith is the Commissioner of the Department of Economic and Community Development, the agency that administers the First Five program.

She says the layoffs at ESPN are part of the corporate ebb and flow, and she's not concerned about the company defaulting on its commitments.

“We think companies like ESPN that are household names that are run by great people will figure it out. They will go through the ups and downs until they find a strategy that works for them.”

According to DECD, 20 of the 100 layoffs affect Connecticut employees with the rest being located outside the state.

Here is the full statement ESPN released:

“Tied to the news ESPN President John Skipper shared with ESPN employees this morning, we first wanted to thank our colleagues for their collective contributions.

“It is important to us to provide some additional context on how our content is evolving. In short, given how fans’ habits are changing, our focus continues to be providing high-quality, distinctive content at any minute of the day on any screen. For instance:

“Perhaps the most noted example of this strategy is our recent approach to our flagship program, SportsCenter. SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt, the launch of SC6 with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill, and the debut of more digital-only content socially and on our App means SportsCenter in its many forms is easily accessible, informative and primed with personality.

“Our evolving ESPN App is the best mobile destination for sports fans and has been bolstered by the recent launch of home screen video and increased personalization. On the horizon is more live news video and enhanced video and audio streaming.

“There are numerous examples this year of ESPN’s multi-screen approach around big events, ranging from the College Football Playoff Championship Megacast, the NBA Sidecast, the Tournament Challenge and Fantasy Football Marathons, and the Women’s Final Four. And at the start of NFL free agency, ESPN3’s show featured “Schefter Cam” while ESPN.com and the App were providing extensive clips featuring our NFL reporters and analysts, and ESPN2 wrapped it up with a comprehensive show.

“And on the immediate horizon, three days of NFL Draft TV coverage will be complemented with even more online (which can be personalized to match a fan’s favorite team), the cover package of ESPN The Magazine, Mike & Mike and First Take on location, behind-the-scenes coverage on Instagram Stories and more. In May, two of our biggest journalism brands — Outside the Lines and E:60— will relaunch with an emphasis on increased collaboration and a larger presence digitally, socially and across all our screens.

“All this in addition to the extensive coverage this spring of NBA Playoffs, Major League Baseball, Indy 500, the men’s and women’s College World Series, and more.

“Our goal continues to be to maximize our unparalleled scale in every medium with storytelling that stands out and makes a difference. We are well-equipped to thrive going forward by embracing these themes.”

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

2 Members of US Military Die in Afghanistan ISIS Operation


Two members of the U.S. military were killed in an operation on an ISIS target in Afghanistan, NBC News reported. Another was wounded.

More information on the soldiers, including what service they were in, wasn't immediately available, pending notification of their next of kin, Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said in a statement Thursday.

The operation took place in the Achin area, where the military dropped a massive, non-nuclear bomb called the "mother of all bombs" on an ISIS target in Afghanistan two weeks ago, the weapon's first-ever use in combat.

Another American soldier died this month during an operation against ISIS in Afghanistan, where the Taliban and ISIS are fighting over territory, and with government and American coalition forces.

Photo Credit: AFP/Getty Images, File

Groups Fear Hartford Budget Cuts Will Have Devastating Consequences


The City of Hartford's budget crisis means deep cuts, but many groups say the cuts would have devastating consequences. 

"What I'm putting forward is not the budget we want to put forward, but it's the budget we have to put forward," Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said. 

Many groups facing proposed cuts for the 2018 fiscal year spoke during a public hearing at Bulkeley High School Wednesday night. 

Dial-A-Ride and senior centers see reduced funding in the proposed budget, which Hartford activist Hyacinth Yennie and others said would hurt services that cater to some of the city's most vulnerable population. 

"Dial-A-Ride is critical for seniors. They can't get out of the house if they don't have a ride," Yennie said. "We can stay at the level right now, but please do not cut seniors." 

Other organizations find themselves facing a total cutoff in funds. 

Hartford Public Access TV broadcasts public meetings, including Wednesday night's hearing, and the executive director said they're facing a nearly $50,000 slash, which is about 20 percent of their total budget, and that would greatly affect their ability to provide services for the city and its constituents. 

The proposed budget would also do away with city funding of Journey Home, an organization that works to end chronic homelessness. 

Journey Home would lose $85,000 and executive director Matthew Morgan said all the progress they've made would be in jeopardy. 

"It is an achievable goal to end chronic homelessness and we are closer than any other state, so these cuts could reverse that and put us on a road back toward increasing chronic homelessness in our region," Morgan said. 

Mayor Bronin said he values the work Journey Home does and pointed out that the organization serves a large region but that Hartford is the only city that gives a significant amount of money to them. 

"I hope you go with the same passion and same energy and same forcefulness to the West Hartford town council, East Hartford town council, Windsor, Wethersfield, Simsbury and Avon and say the same. And if everyone gives you five grand, we'll get you that $5,000 and make you whole," Bronin said. "The City of Hartford cannot continue to bear regional responsibility on our own. We need partnership." 

The mayor said a big reason the city is in a fiscal pit is because so much of their property is non-taxable. 

"Not only is half the property non-taxable, but the property that is taxable is much less than our peer cities like New Haven, Bridgeport. It's even less than West Hartford. We have less taxable property than a suburb that's half our size," Bronin said. 

"We have made tough choices. We know how tough those are, and this budget has some more. But remember, at the end of the day, even with all of that, we cannot do this alone. That's why we have to show the state we have done everything we can because acting alone, there is no path to solvency for our city,” Bronin said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Milwaukee Man Removed From Delta Flight After Bathroom Break


A Milwaukee man was removed from a Delta Airlines flight in Atlanta last week after going to the bathroom during a delay on the flight, according to footage and witness accounts. 

Video of the incident was posted to social media Friday, showing what appeared to be a flight attendant and a second employee asking the passenger to leave Flight 2035 from Atlanta to Milwaukee just moments after he returned from what he said was an emergency bathroom run. 

“I need more information sir. I haven’t done anything and I paid for this ticket and I actually have– I have to get home,” Kima Hamilton said to the first employee who asked him to leave the plane to discuss the matter.

But when Hamilton asked the man if the plane was going to depart when he exited, the attendant replied with “I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Multiple passengers are seen recording the conversation as it unfolds, some even asking the attendant if Hamilton would be able to return to the plane.

In a second conversation with what appeared to be another employee, Hamilton was told that his bathroom break had forced the plane to return to the gate. 

“Because we had to come back, that’s why we want to talk to you about that,” the employee is heard saying before telling Hamilton their conversation was “inconveniencing everyone.”

Hamilton explained that he had tried to use the bathroom earlier but was told he needed to wait, otherwise the plane would lose its place in line for takeoff. After 30 more minutes, he said he could no longer hold it and it was an emergency. 

Witnesses noted the plane did not move while Hamilton was in the bathroom. 

Hamilton, who told Milwaukee NBC affiliate TMJ4 that he is an art teacher, continued to plea with officials, telling them he had a field trip with 94 students the next morning and needed to return home.

Soon there was an announcement telling everyone they would need to leave the plane, passengers told TMJ4.

"The whole thing was uncalled for,” Michael Rosalino, who was sitting across the aisle from Hamilton, told the station.

One passenger who filmed the incident wrote in a blog post that she witnessed “the most outrageous treatment of a paying customer.”

“Not only did your staff truly harm and humiliate one person who was forced to pay hundreds of dollars for a new same-day flight, but you forced the rest of us passengers to endure a 2 hour saga of watching a man being targeted for having a bathroom emergency,” Krista Rosolin wrote. “I am disappointed and horrified at how Delta Airlines staff treated their customers/passengers.”

Rosolin told NBC News she felt the urge to record the incident "to have video of whatever transpired." 

“What I couldn’t understand was, 'Okay, why is this being pursued against him when we didn’t move?'” she said. 

Hamilton told TMJ4 that the rest of the passengers were able to re-board the flight and he was forced to stay back. Delta did refund him for part of his ticket, but his luggage remained on the plane and he ultimately purchased a flight home for three times the original price via another airline.

"It all escalated so fast," he said.

In a statement to NBC, Delta said its “flight crews are extensively trained to ensure the safety and security of all customers.”

“It is imperative that passengers comply with crew instructions during all phases of flight, especially at critical points of takeoff and landing,” the statement read.

The incident comes as airlines face heightened scrutiny following incidents on United Express and American Airlines flights in recent weeks. 

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, File
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

State Capitol Briefly Evacuated After Fire Alarm Goes Off

Army Veteran Accused of Tying Up, Shooting Service Dog


An Army veteran is accused of fatally shooting her service dog while her boyfriend, who's also a soldier, filmed it, a North Carolina prosecutor said.

Cumberland County District Attorney Clark Reaves said 23-year-old Marinna Rollins and 25-year-old Jarren Heng tied the dog, Cumboui, to a tree and shot it multiple times with a rifle. In a video posted on Rollins' Facebook page, the two can be heard giggling and laughing as the gray and white male pit bull is being killed, The Associated Press reported.

Both are charged with cruelty to animals. It wasn't immediately clear whether they have lawyers.

Court documents show Rollins, who is originally from Portland, Maine, medically retired from the Army in January, according to the AP. Authorities said Rollins is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and Cumboui was her emotional support dog.

Prior to the shooting, Rollins posted a photo of Cumboui on her Facebook page, writing she was "sad that her dog had to go to a happier place," according to court documents, NBC affiliate WCSH reported.

A county animal control officer contacted Rollins after seeing the video on social media. The officer told the sheriff's office that Rollins gave "several excuses" as to why the dog was killed, according to WCSH.

Heng was arrested Monday evening and Rollins was arrested Tuesday afternoon.

Heng is an active-duty soldier from Nebraska assigned to a unit that reports to the Army Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, Lt. Col. Robert Bockholt said. Bockholt declined to give the exact unit. 

Photo Credit: Cumberland County Sheriff's Office

Utah Rep. Chaffetz Gives Transparent Reason for Leave


Republican lawmaker Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz revealed medical fixtures that had been holding his foot together for the last 12 years on his Instagram account.

Recently Chaffetz announced he would be taking a leave of absence and may not run for reelection in 2018. According to his Instagram post which reveals an x-ray of his foot, he said he would have the medical screws and plates removed from his foot after doctors advised him that the hardware could lead to a serious infection.

In the post, Chaffetz wrote, "Yes, I wish I could say I was cliff diving in Mexico but the truth is I fell off a ladder while repairing something in my garage." 

Chaffetz is chairman of the House Oversight Reform Committee and best known for his investigations of Hillary Clinton and alleged missteps by the Obama administration over the 2012 Benghazi attacks.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Fatal Motorcycle Crash in West Haven

Teen Charged in Robbery at Milford Hotel


An 18-year-old Milford woman is accused of being somehow involved in restraining a person at a Motel 6 in Milford and robbing the victim.

Police have arrested 18-year-old Jacqueline Steck, of Milford, after investigating what happened in a hotel room at Motel 6 at 111 Schoolhouse Road on April 12.

The victim reported being attacked by four people, including one who had a handgun. The victim’s mouth was covered in duct tape and he or she was restrained with zip-ties, police said.

Then a large sum of cash and clothing was taken.

Steck was charged with home invasion, first-degree burglary, first-degree robbery, first-degree kidnapping with a firearm, criminal use of a firearm and first-degree larceny.

She was held on a $250,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Milford Police

Hernandez's Estate Currently Worthless; House to Be Sold


Someone could soon be moving into the home of former New England Patriot star Aaron Hernandez.

The $1.2 million property in North Attleboro, Massachusetts, has a potential buyer, and attorneys for the Hernandez family moved quickly to secure it Thursday.

During a hearing at Superior Court in New Bedford, a judge agreed to allow the home to be transferred from Hernandez's name to an estate that is controlled by his fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins Hernandez. The legal maneuvering enables Jenkins Hernandez to accept an offer on the house, which expires Friday. Details of the offer, however, were not made public at the request of attorneys.

"I think that any speculation about the nature of the sale, who the buyers might be, is injurious," said George Leontire, an attorney for the Hernandez family.

The move had support from attorneys who represent Hernandez's murder victim, Odin Lloyd. They currently have a pending wrongful death lawsuit, filed on behalf of Lloyd's mother, and hope to gain access to money from the sale.

Hernandez lived in the home with his fiancee and their daughter until he was arrested for Lloyd's murder in 2013.

According to court records, the property has federal and municipal liens and is currently uninsured.

"This asset is in danger of being lost if it is not sold," the records state.

The potential sale comes amidst other potential legal action by the Hernandez family against the Massachusetts Department of Corrections DOC in connection with Hernandez's suicide.

Thursday, attorneys slammed investigators with the DOC and the Worcester County District Attorney's Office for apparent leaks to the media about the case.

"Individuals within the government who are leaking such information are in violation of the policies and procedures of their respective agencies and should be immediately terminated," wrote Leontire in a letter addressed to both agencies.

Leontire also stated that investigators had obtained copies of letters written by Hernandez to his legal team, which he argued is a violation of attorney-client privilege.

"We hereby demand that the originals of such communications be provided to the defense team, and any and all copies of such writings within your custody or control be accounted for and destroyed."

See the full letter below:

Photo Credit: AP

Man Accused of Threatening Victim at New Britain Court


A Bristol man is accused of violating a protective order and threatening a victim at New Britain Superior Court Wednesday.

Police responded to the courthouse just after 11:30 a.m. and took 28-year-old Jeremy Sykes into custody.

He was charged with first-degree harassment and violation of protective order.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Va. Mom Says She Was Led Out of Church for Breastfeeding


A Virginia woman who was trying to comfort her baby during a church service says she was escorted out of the sanctuary for breastfeeding.

Annie Peguero, of Dumfries, says in a Facebook Live video that she was questioned twice as she breastfed Sunday in Summit Church in Springfield: first as she sat near the church's "baby room" without a nursing cover over her breast and a second time as she nursed openly in the sanctuary during the sermon.

Peguero, a military wife and mother of two, said a church official told her it went against church policy to nurse openly.

"We don't want to make a man uncomfortable in church, and we also don't want to make a new churchgoer feel uncomfortable," Peguero said she was told.

Church officials did not immediately respond to inquiries. Peguero declined an interview Wednesday evening, after a wave of negative comments were posted online.

Since 2015, Virginia law has given mothers the right to breastfeed anywhere they are legally allowed to be. There is no exemption for religious institutions.

Peguero is a personal trainer whose tagline is "finding sunshine and strength in struggle." She said she breastfeeds openly because it fulfills her daughter's basic needs. She advised other mothers to ignore stares. 

"Don't change your behavior because you're worried about what someone else thinks or does," she said. "Breastfeeding is normal." 

Peguero said she had been enjoying the service at the nondenominational church, where she had attended services several times.

"I'll never set foot in that church again, and it makes me really sad," she said, starting to cry.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Annie Peguero
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Warrant Sheds More Light on What Police Found Before Charging New Britain Man in Wife's Murder


A New Britain man charged in the murder of his 33-year-old wife had made prior threats, deleted text messages indicating that he planned the murder and told a friend he “snapped” and didn’t know what happened after that, according to court documents.

Patrick Miles, 36, of New Britain has been charged with the murder of 33-year-old Yasheeka Miles. Police arrested him days after they say he shot and killed her and fled with their 2-year-old daughter, sparking an Amber Alert.

The investigation began with a 911 just before 10 p.m. Friday, April 7 from someone who said it sounded like someone being thrown around at a neighbor’s apartment.

When police responded to 48 North Mountain Road, they found Yasheeka Miles bleeding profusely. She’d been shot in the head and police found two shell casings on the floor next to her.

They then realized that Patrick Miles and the couple’s 2-year-old daughter were gone.

Police later found the little girl in Brooklyn, New York with one of Patrick Miles’ family members, but there was still no sign of her father until authorities located him days later in West Springfield, Massachusetts, police said.

As police investigated the death, the medical examiner ruled Yasheeka’s death a homicide.

During the course of the investigation, police spoke with people who knew the victim and learned that she was no longer living with Patrick Miles but planned to go to a club that night and had gone to his home to retrieve some items. Then, court documents say, they got into a fight and Patrick Miles is accused of shooting his wife.

One of Yasheeka’s family members would tell investigators that Patrick Miles had had been abusive and threatened to kill his wife the month before, but it was not reported to police, according to court records .

Court documents also state that police found a conversation on Yasheeka Miles’ cellphone in which she was talking about ending the relationship with Patrick and he had deleted text messages indicated that he planned the killing several days before it happened.

Before the located Patrick Miles, police spoke with one of his “known associates,” who told them he had a conversation with Miles about the fact that he was considered a potential suspect and he asked Miles what happened.

“I don’t want to tell you. I don’t know. I snapped. I don’t know what happened after that. I took the sucka (sic) way out,” he said, according to court documents, then added that he was probably never going to see his daughter again.

When police located Patrick Miles, they found him with two cell phones and said he was removing the battery and swapping the SIM card from one to another to avoid being located.

His bond was set at $2.5 million and he is due back in court on May 30.

Photo Credit: New Britain Police

Students Report Minor Injuries After School Bus Stops Short


Students reported minor injuries after a school bus suddenly stopped in West Haven to avoid a collision. 

West Haven police and firefighters responded to the scene on Medford and Jaffrey Streets around 3 p.m.

Approximately 10 to 12 students had minor complaints of injury after the bus stopped abruptly, West Haven Police said.

No other information was available on the incident. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Body of Man Who Jumped off Middletown Bridge Found


Police believe they have found the body of a man who jumped off a bridge in Middletown. 

On April 11, police said they were looking for the body after a man reportedly jumped off the Arrigoni Bridge. 

The body found on Thursday in the Connecticut River is believed to be the body of the person who jumped off the bridge.

Police said they are waiting for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to confirm the identity of the person found. 

A man jumped off the Arrigoni Bridge on Tuesday and has not been found. 

Photo Credit: Submitted

Newlywed Grieves After Wife Killed in Dallas Office Shooting


A North Texas man is planning his wife's funeral, just 39 days after they were married.

Lana Canada was shot and killed Monday morning by a co-worker at a North Dallas office building.

"I'm having a hard time with it. They pulled the love of my life away from me in just an instant," Dennis Canada told NBC 5 from the Sulphur Springs home he shared with his wife.

Everything in the backyard of their home reminds Canada of Lana, including a rose garden they worked on together just two days before she was killed.

"That's hard for me to look at," Canada said.

Lana was a mother of eight – seven daughters and one son – and a grandmother of seven. Together they had a blended family and were the picture of wedded bliss.

"The greatest marriage. The greatest relationship I'd ever been in," Canada said.

He recalled kissing his wife goodbye Monday morning before she left for work. Lana was a supervisor at Dignity Team Health, a Texas-based provider of in-home Hospice Care.

Hours later, she was killed in a conference room by a disgruntled employee who Canada says was "pretty mad" about Lana recently being named a co-partner. The shooter, 60-year-old Matthew Kempf, then turned the gun on himself.

Canada said he received a text about the shooting from one of his wife's co-workers.

He rushed to the north Dallas office building with Lana's 16-year-old daughter.

"When the detectives came out and they told me that Lana did not make it," Canada said through tears. "My world had been taken from me." 

Lana's funeral will be held Friday afternoon in Alba, Texas.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Warmer Weather Brings Showers & Thunderstorms


Warmer air is working into the state and some areas could hit 80 degrees tomorrow as well as Saturday.

High temperatures tomorrow are expected to reach the upper 70s to near 80 degrees. Here's a look at tomorrow's town by town high temperatures 

The warmer weather also brings with it the chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms. Showers are possible tomorrow morning and again on Saturday.

Here's a look at 'Future Radar' Saturday morning which shows a line of thunderstorms moving through the state. Sunshine and warm air will return by the afternoon hours. 

Unfortunately for the warm weather fans the temperatures become much more seasonable by Sunday. High temperatures on Sunday are expected to reach the middle to upper 60s. The average high temperature for this time of year is 65 degrees. 

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live