NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

WWE Investigating Cybersecurity 'Vulnerability'


WWE said Thursday it is investigating a "vulnerability of database" after a security firm announced earlier this week it had uncovered an unprotected database that was open to anyone.

Bob Dyachenko, from the security firm Kromtech, told Forbes he’d uncovered a huge, unprotected WWE database containing information on more than 3 million users. Dyachenko also claimed that it was open to anyone who knew which web address to search, according to Forbes.com.

The breach in the WWE Network database, included users home and email addresses, birthdates, earnings, ethnicity, children’s age ranges, genders and more. The database was stored on an Amazon Web Services S3 server without username or password protection. Dyachenko said it was not clear which branch of the WWE Corporation the database came from.

WWE said in a statement posted on the company's website that it is working with Amazon Web Services, the cybersecurity firms Smartronix and Praetorian Cybersecurity Solutions to investigate the breach.

"Although no credit card or password information was included, and therefore not at risk, WWE is investigating a vulnerability of a database housed on Amazon Web Services (AWS)," the statement said.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Hamden Police to Put Out Town Survey


One Connecticut police department wants to know what residents think of the work they do.

The Hamden Police Department released its first ever town survey on social media.

A summer fellow from Quinnipiac University put together the new survey for residents as he interns at the police department.

"If you have anything you want to say about the department, bad or good, we want to know about it," Tymothee Anderson, who majors in criminal justice, said.

The survey seeks feedback on how Hamden police are currently allocating their resources. 

"We want to know whether the public is interested in community service officers, whether they are more interested in traffic enforcement whether they are more interested in our school resource officer program," Anderson said.

The "How Are You Doing, Citizens?" survey can be found here.

"Surveys are something that have become more and more popular in American policing, they are actually recommended by professional organizations," Police Chief Thomas Wydra said.

Qualcomm Seeks to Ban iPhone Imports, Sales


Chipmaker Qualcomm is asking U.S. trade regulators to ban iPhone imports, according to a new lawsuit.

Apple has allegedly infringed on six of Qualcomm's patents that improve iPhone battery life, according to Qualcomm. Now San Diego-based Qualcomm wants Apple to pay damages, CNBC reported.

"Apple continues to use Qualcomm's technology while refusing to pay for it," Don Rosenberg, executive vice president and general counsel of Qualcomm, said in a statement.

Qualcomm ultimately wants regulators to investigate which phones use cellular processors from Qualcomm's competitors, and halt sales of iPhones that violate the patents.

CNBC was seeking a response from Apple. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Dillon Stadium Developer Convicted of Fraud, Laundering


One of two the developers accused of pocketing hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars meant to redevelop a soccer stadium in Hartford found guilty of fraud and money laundering. 

James C. Duckett, Jr., who pitched the idea to build the site on Hartford's Dillon Stadium, was convicted Thursday for one count of conspiracy, three counts of wire fraud, eight counts of conducting illegal monetary transactions.

The City of Hartford and Mitchell Anderson’s company, Premier Sports Management Group, reached a deal in September 2014 to secure a professional soccer team and develop a new 9,000-seat facility at Dillon Stadium. 

The agreement with the city included $775,000 to PSMG for serving as the project manager of the $12 million plan, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. 

Federal officials said Dukett's partner, Anderson, 52, of Avon, never paid subcontractors and used city money for personal and other purposes. 

They were accused of pocketing $1 million mean for the project rather than paying subcontractors and also obtaining invoices from subcontractors who did not perform the work and submitting them to the city as if the work had been done. 

Anderson was then accused of using the proceeds to pay people and companies for expenses that were not connected to the stadium deal, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. 

Federal officials began looking into the project in 2015.

Anderson was arrested on June 23 and was released on a $100,000 bond. 

He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and wire fraud and one count of conducting illegal monetary transactions. Anderson agreed to pay more than $1.1 million back to the City of Hartford and two subcontractors of the Dillon Stadium project. 

Hartford ultimately cancelled their contract and filed civil suit. The proposed indoor team affiliated with PSMG, Hartford City FC, was dropped by the Major Arena Soccer League before a game was played.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Blumenthal Calls Out TSA for Posting Giant Lobster Picture


A photo of a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screener holding a more than 15 pound lobster is pinching the federal agency with some public scrutiny.

"Before (the TSA) shares photographs of packaged contents with the world, it ought to ask permission from the owner," Sen. Richard Blumenthal said at a press conference at Atlantic Seafood Market in Old Saybrook, where the giant lobster was sold.

Blumenthal said the TSA violated personal privacy after an agent posed in a picture with the lobster that was in a checked bag at Boston’s Logan Airport.

The picture was posted on the agency’s Twitter and Instagram before being shared thousands of times. 

According to the TSA's website, a live lobster is allowed through security if it is packaged correctly. That's why the owner of the nearly 20-pounder has some questions. 

"What other things (of ours) are you handling that you don’t have any reason to be handling?" asked Atlantic Seafood owner Lisa Feinman.

The screener didn’t handle the lobster properly, either, Feinman added. She said a lobster is supposed to be held by its body, underneath the arms, to support the weight — especially a 20-pound lobster that holds most of its weight in its arms.

TSA explained on Instagram that they needed to remove the giant lobster from its container to resolve a checked baggage alarm.

"I wrote to (the TSA). They wrote back saying they never release passenger identifying information," Blumenthal said. "That’s not good enough!"

NBC Connecticut asked TSA spokesman Michael McCarthy via email if agents are allowed to take pictures with people’s property.

"TSA is in direct communication with Senator Blumenthal’s staff and also reached out to the individual directly to discuss her concerns. TSA shares images through social media to better inform the traveling public about TSA's mission with behind the scenes look at operations around the country, but our posts never reveal passengers identities or include inappropriate content," McCarthy responded. 

TSA could easily make a rule about handling and photographing items, according to Blumenthal, who added, "But if they fail to do the right thing, I would certainly consider legislation."

Did Instagram Delete Your Account?


Instagram said it is working on a glitch that is causing some users to think their accounts have been deleted. 

The company Tweeted that they were aware of the issue that users are being logged out and are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Users on Twitter and Facebook expressed concern that their Instagram accounts had been deleted on Thursday. 

Some businesses, public figures and aspiring social media stars rely heavily on their Instagram accounts and said the issue could hurt their presence online. 

It's not clear how long accounts have been experiencing issues, but some users started sending complaints to Instagram via other social media platforms in the early hours of Thursday morning. 

Earlier on Thursday, Instagram announced that they've added a new feature to the app that allows users to reply to "stories" with a photo or video.  

Instagram users with a technical problem can follow steps to report a problem here.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

LifeStar Responds to Bicycle-Involved Crash in Mansfield


LifeStar responded to a crash involving a bicycle in Mansfield on Thursday. 

Tolland County dispatch said Mansfield firefighters responded to the area of Storrs Road (Route 195) and Ledgewood Drive for a motor vehicle accident involving a bicyclist over the guardrail.

No other infromation was immedaitely available. Please check back for updates on this developing story. 

'Welcome to Hell': Protests Erupt Day Before G-20 Summit


Baton-wielding police faced off against protestors armed with bottles and fireworks just as G-20 leaders arrived in Hamburg.

Photo Credit: Alexander Koerner/Getty Images

79-Year-Old Guilford Man With Dementia Reported Missing


A 79-year-old man from Guilford has been reported missing, police said. 

Domenic Mancuso was last seen leaving his residents at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday. 

Mancuso suffers from early onset dementia and is relies on medication. 

He is described as being approximately 5'8" tall, weighing about 180 pounds and has gray, balding hair. The elderly man does not wear corrective lenses or glasses.

Mancuso indicated to his family that he would leave his vehicle at Union Station in New Haven. His destination after that was not indicated.

His car was later located by Amtrak Police at the New Haven location and it was determined that he did purchase a train ticket, possibly to Grand Central Terminal in New York City, police said.

Anyone with information regarding Domenic Mancuso's whereabouts is urged to contact the Guilford Police Department at (203) 453-8061.

NovoPen Insulin Cartridges Recalled


Novo Nordisk, a Danish pharmaceutical company, is recalling insulin cartridge holders because they may crack or break if exposed to certain chemicals, including some cleaning agents.

The affected cartridges were sold under the brand NovoPen Echo, which is used for insulin treatment by people with diabetes.

The manufacturer says using a device with a cracked or broken cartridge holder may result in the device delivering a reduced dose of insulin.

Novo Nordisk says it has received numerous complaints of damaged cartridge holders and some reports of adverse events to date.

The devices were distributed between 8/1/2016 to 6/22/2017. Novo Nordisk is notifying distributors, pharmacies, healthcare professionals and patients of the recall by mail.

Cartridge holders from the following batch numbers are affected:







Patients using a NovoPen Echo from one of the recalled batches should call (855) 419-8827 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. EDT to get a replacement cartridge holder.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

West Hartford Fence Company Closes Without Warning


The once-reputable West Hartford Fence Company suddenly closed its doors for good, leaving some of its customers with unfinished projects and out thousands of dollars.

Elithea Mas was one of those customers.

In March, Mas got several quotes for a six-food cedar barrier for her property and she went with West Hartford Fence Company.

“I was looking for companies that were well-reviewed, and preferably local,” Mas said.

At the time, West Hartford Fence Company checked those boxes and, and $11,000, it cost significantly less than the competition. Still, not cheap.

“It’s not nothing,” Mas said. “This is money I’ve put aside knowing the puppy was coming.”

Mas put 40 percent, or $4,500, down in late March. The check cleared early April, but then May came around, then June, then July.

“In that time I sent more emails (saying), ‘You were supposed to get back to me with a time frame, you know, a status',” Mas said. “At one point I was desperate, (saying), ‘I’m just looking for where I am in the queue.’”

At first, she says, West Hartford Fence Company’s owner Stephen Gifford said he was having issues with materials. Then, he stopped answering her calls and emails altogether.

That’s when Mas decide to post her problem on a neighborhood Facebook group, where she learned she wasn’t alone.

Turns out, within the past two years, Gifford bought West Hartford Fence Company and another nearby business, Hartford Wire Works.

In May, NBC Connecticut Responds spoke with a Hartford Wire Works customer who was also out money when it shut down unexpectedly, after more than 100 years in business.

NBC Responds spoke with Gifford on Wednesday. He said he miscalculated, and that he had to close West Hartford Fence Company last week. He added:

“When we accepted their deposits, we did so in good faith, and thought we’d have the materials and personnel to fill their orders. We will be contacting customers to make them whole in the next few days.”

“I really just want my money back,” Mas said. “So I can use it towards another fence.”

Mas has spoken with several other nearby fence companies and a few have offered to do the job at a discount.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

New Haven Moves Forward With Youth Summer Jobs Program


The lack of a state budget has left some teens in Connecticut without a summer job, but the City of New Haven is making sure hundreds of youth can still gain valuable work experience this summer.

As part of the Youth@Work Program, the city hires about 600 New Haven youth between 14 and 21-years-old. Some work at the Department of Parks and Recreation, while others take on positions with non-profits and local camps.

This is the second summer Gateway Community College student Courtney Caple has a summer job tough New Haven’s Youth@Work.

“I had to come back because it was too fun and we’re helping New Haven ‘go green’ so why not,” Caple said.

Caple and Shequerra Hobby are supervisors for the city’s Youth Conservation Corps, which works with United Illuminating to promote energy efficiency.

“They’re trying to make New Haven ‘go green’ so we partner with them and share information with residents so that they can lower their energy bills, save money,” Hobby said.

The 11 high school student they are supervising packed bags with relevant information Thursday afternoon to pass out to residents.

“We’re about to go to Edgewood today to start canvassing,” Caple said.

“Giving young people work and employment and jobs is something that is good for your city,” Director of Youth Services Jason Bartlett said. “There’s less violence in your city, kids are engaged and it has been shown that crime drops when kids are working.”

For those reasons, Bartlett said Mayor Toni Harp and the Board of Alders decided to move forward with the Youth@Work summer program even if it means running a deficit for now.

“It’s going to be a burden on our taxpayers and a burden on our budget,” Bartlett said. “But it’s the right thing to do.”

Both Caple and Hobby said they are grateful city leaders gave the green light to the summer jobs program, despite the uncertainty at the state capitol.

“I would tell them thank you because this helps a lot of people,” Caple said.

Bartlett said he has been in contact with New Haven’s delegation of lawmakers in Hartford. He said he is hopeful once a budget is in place that the city will be reimbursed about $450,000 to fund the summer jobs program.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Burglar Caught on Camera Trying to Steal Tires in Branford


A burglar caught on camera stealing tires in Branford wasn't stopped when police arrived at the scene.

"I can't believe the guy who did this is that blatant. He just doesn't care. He's right in front of the cameras," Wayne Maculaitis, one of the owners of Al Mac Motors II, said. 

Cameras show a Jeep pull into Al Mac Motors in Branford on Wednesday morning. The driver parks next to another Jeep already there before quickly getting out to start stealing the other vehicle's tires. 

For several minutes, the man is seen struggling to get the tire off, but the wheel lock slows him down. Maculaitis said an employee at the Mobil gas station across the street hears the burglar working to remove the tire and calls police.

When the first Branford police cruiser arrives, the suspect drops what he's doing, leaves his equipment on the ground and casually gets inside his own vehicle.

"The suspect that was stealing tires disregarded all the officer's commands," Branford Police Captain Geoffrey Morgan said.

Another cruiser pulls up to block the suspect's way, but the burglar smashes into the cruiser and another vehicle before taking off for the highway. Police end their pursuit because the suspect begins traveling recklessly, making it too dangerous to follow.

"It's kind of scary," Maculaitis said. "He's not afraid of anything."

Maculaitis said the incident was the ninth for Al Mac Motors II in about a year. He believes it's the same person every time.

"Every three weeks to four weeks he's been coming back," Maculaitis said.

Despite increasing their security in several ways, they've had dozens of tires and rims stolen, equaling about $10,000, and they're not alone.

"It's been happening to other places in town also," Maculaitis said. "I'm sure he's the one that's been around other dealers in town getting hit. I'm sure it's him because same motive, got his blocks of woods, jacks, tools laying around everybody's lots the same way."

"These crimes continue to be committed not only in our community but throughout Connecticut," Morgan said.

The police chief said over the last few years they've seen an increase in the crime.

After putting out a BOLO on the vehicle the suspect drove in the video, on Thursday night, Branford Police said an East Haven police officer located what they believe to be the vehicle.

Branford police now have a suspect who they tell us has been arrested on unrelated charges. The investigation is still ongoing but that with a suspect now identified, police expect to make an arrest very soon.

Minor Injuries in Box Truck Rollover on I-691 in Meriden


An I-691 exit ramp to Interstate 91 has reopened Friday after a box truck rollover, according to Connecticut State Police.

Police said minor injuries were reported when a box truck carrying herbs crashed near the I-691 east exit 10 off-ramp in Meriden. The ramp was closed for several hours while crews worked to clear the crash.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Air National Guard Members Welcomed Home


Dozens of members of the Air National Guard’s 103rd Airlift Wing touched down in Connecticut Thursday.

A big welcoming crew waited as the Air National Guard members came in for their landing at the Air National Guard base in East Granby.

Thirty airmen from the 103rd Airlift Wing Unit returned home Thursday after deploying to southwest Asia last year.

"I'm happy to see my dad home because I've been waiting for my dad to come and I missed him so much," said Jeslyn Ramos, whose father returned Thursday, said with a smile.

Master Sgt. Jonathan Favreau is happy to be home after his third deployment.

"It's great to be home. It's great to be home so close to July 4th too," he said.

His wife Noreen had been waiting for this moment.

"I'm glad I have someone to cook for, instead of just me and the dogs," she said.

And Senior Airman Roy Walton was looking forward to his first meal back in the US.

“Good America hamburgers. That’s what I want,” he said.

While overseas, these airmen were focused on tactical airlift, transporting supplies and people through the region.

"We went and did the mission and we did it really well but being home is everything I hoped it would be and more," Walton said.

"It's great. There's nothing like coming home," Favreau said.

Of the nearly 300 airmen that deployed late in 2016, 200 have returned safely so far. The rest will be heading home later this summer.

Motorcyclist Seriously Injured in Manchester Crash


A Manchester motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash Thursday night, according to Manchester police.

Police said the motorcycle and a car collided in front of 255 Highland Street around 9:11 p.m. The motorcyclist, identified as 33-year-old Kyle Malloy, was not wearing a helmet and suffered serious injuries. He was taken to Hartford Hospital in serious condition, police said.

The occupants of the car were not injured.

The circumstances of the crash remain under investigation. Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact Manchester police at 860 533-8651.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

The Otherworldly Landscape of California's Salton Sea in Photos


Once-bustling marinas in California's largest lake are now bone-dry. See the other worldly landscape of the Salton Sea in southeastern California.

Photo Credit: Getty

4-Alarm Oakland Construction Site Fire Displaces 100 People


A four-alarm fire early Friday gutted a partially constructed 7-story Oakland building, displacing nearly 100 people who live nearby. 

A caller reported seeing smoke from the structure on the 2400 block of Valdez Street around 4:30 a.m., according to Interim Fire Chief Darin White. 

The now-destroyed building, which had been under construction for about six months, is the Alta Waverly on the corner of 23rd and Valdez streets. Upon completion next spring, the mixed-use development by Wood Partners was expected to feature 196 homes and up to 31,500 square feet of retail space.

Instead, flames have reduced the Alta Waverly to a charred skeleton that is unstable and missing chunks of scaffolding. Plumes of smoke not only blanketed the area, but were also visible from as far as the South Bay. The National Weather Service of the Bay Area said a satellite detected temperatures as high as 1,145 degrees Fahrenheit from the Oakland fire.

The first fire engine was on scene within five minutes of the initial call and crews were forced to go on the defense immediately. In all, more than 80 firefighters battled the blistering flames with the assistance of more than two dozen fire apparatus, White said. 

"We had zero injuries," he said with a smile. 

But the danger has not passed.

The task of extinguishing the fire, which was at 85 percent containment by 8:20 a.m., was made riskier as parts of the building collapsed around fire crews, while the heat made a scorched construction crane swing, White said.

Radiant heat was felt for several blocks around the fire. That, combined with the threat of the careening crane prompted road closures and roughly 100 evacuations, according to White. Those who have been uprooted have been given shelter at the Cathedral of Christ the Light at 2121 Harrison Street.

White was unable to specify when people will be allowed to return to their homes, citing ongoing concerns about the integrity of the crane. The evacuation order cannot be lifted until the crane, which could collapse, has been deconstructed and removed, he said. The Alameda County Sheriff's Office plans to send a drone into the scorched building to help the crane operator and Cal/OSHA determine the best way to dismantle it.

"I was scared," Mout Khamphou told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Khamphou said she was sitting in her car getting ready to go to work when she saw smoke coming from the building next door.

She drove away, thinking the fire wasn't bad, but called her husband who was still at home to warn him.

"I called my husband and I said, 'I saw the fire start. You have to be careful and get ready to get out.' He called me and said, 'Oh honey, the fire started getting worse and he asked where my passport and papers are. Our apartment won't be safe anymore.' I was crying a lot, I worried.''

She said she turned around and drove back to her neighborhood and found flames shooting from the building. Other evacuees told NBC Bay Area that when they went to close windows to prevent smoke from entering their homes, the glass was hot. 

According to White, it is too early to know what caused the fire because firefighters are still monitoring hot spots. It is only after structural engineers and Cal/OSHA have deemed the building safe that arson investigators can comb through the wreckage.

A construction worker was of the opinion that someone may not have wanted more buildings along Auto Row, which is a hub for new developments. But that theory has not been confirmed by officials. 

City councilwoman Lynette Gibson McElhaney said Oakland leaders will not take Friday's fire lightly.

"We are concerned," she said. "We will look at what the investigation will reveal in terms of whether this was human error or foul play. But I think we all have to be concerned when several hundred units of housing are taken off the market in the middle of an unprecedent housing crisis."

The developer reportedly had a roving security patrol at Alta Waverly, but White was not sure if there was any security footage from the scene. 

Wood Partners issued a statement Friday, in which the company's CEO Joe Keough said, "Our deepest concern goes out to those impacted by this unfortunate event. We are grateful that no injuries were sustained and we are working closely with local fire officials and investigators to identify the cause of the fire."

Fire officials told NBC Bay Area that their efforts to contain the blaze ensured that it didn't reach four homes to the east of the construction site.

The Alameda County Fire Department sent mutual aid to man Oakland's fire stations, while the city's fire department focused on the fire that quickly escalated from two to three and then four alarms.

Fires have plagued Oakland in recent months. 

Last October, a five-alarm fire erupted at an apartment site under construction near Lake Merritt, which is under two miles from Friday's fire.

A three-alarm fire then claimed 36 lives during a December 2016 concert at the Ghost Ship warehouse, and a four-alarm fire in a West Oakland residential building killed four people in March.

NBC Bay Area's Bob Redell and Pete Suratos and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

The Many Handshakes of President Donald Trump


President Donald Trump's sometimes unconventional way of shaking hands has often made the news. Here's a look at some of the most noteworthy of the president's embraces.

New Haven Man Found in Stolen Car: Hamden Police


Hamden police have arrested a man on larceny charges after he was spotted in a stolen vehicle in New Haven, according to police.

Tavon Jones, 22, was arrested Wednesday.

According to police, the vehicle, which was reported stolen out of North Haven, was seen traveling through New Haven around 11:30 p.m. near Newhall and Marlboro Streets. Later Hamden Police Officer Timothy Brown saw the vehicle near Shelton Avenue and Goodrich Street. He stopped the vehicle, at which two occupants attempted to flee on foot.  Brown stopped Jones, and also found a revolver close by to Jones.

Jones was arrested and charged with first-degree larceny, carrying a pistol without a permit, and having a weapon in a motor vehicle.

Jones will appear in court in Meriden on July 19.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police Department
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live