Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner to Resign


San Diego Mayor Bob Filner has agreed to resign as part of a deal reached this week with city officials, NBC 7 News has learned.

Filner, spotted leaving City Hall with packing boxes Wednesday night, will formally vacate the office following a closed session of City Council Friday, according to several sources.

Filner's attorney has a letter of resignation drafted for his signature upon approval of the tentative settlement by councilmembers.

The mayor said goodbye to his staff Wednesday before he left his office at City Hall in his security detail’s SUV. Sources say the packing boxes in the backseat contained Filner's office effects.

City officials announced just before 7 p.m. Wednesday a proposed solution had been reached in the scandal that has consumed the city of San Diego since it first broke July 10.

The firm Payne & Fears issued a statement on behalf of Filner Thursday afternoon: "Due to the confidential nature of mediation and settlement discussions, we are unable to comment or make statements about any of the terms."  Read the full statement here

A public announcement will occur following the closed session according to Filner's attorneys but they don't identify who will make the statement.

“I would encourage people to refer back to the City Attorney’s comments yesterday that much of the speculation cannot be confirmed until the Council is able to meet,” said City Council President Todd Gloria.

“This is a legal settlement we’re considering,” Gloria said.

In the last six weeks, more than a dozen women have come forward with tales of alleged sexual harassment and unwanted sexual advances.

Filner has admitted to disrespecting and at times intimidating women, saying that he needed help. He announced he would enter a treatment program for an undisclosed disorder or illness.

Under investigation for alleged “pay to play” schemes with developers, Filner disappeared from public view for three weeks and surfaced Monday in time for a mediation session with city officials.

Over three days of negotiations in the downtown San Diego high-rise located just blocks from City Hall, officials reached a deal.

U.S. Rep. Scott Peters speculated the agreement involves picking up Filner's legal fees. “The hard thing for the City Council is going to be, he’s not going to leave for free,” Peters said Thursday.

Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents the mayor's former communication director Irene McCormack Jackson, described an agreement that would exchange payment of legal fees for Filner's resignation as “callous and unholy.”

“There should be no payoff for Mayor Filner,” Allred said.

"If the deal required that the city council pays him one dollar, then I for one think they should vote against it."

Councilmember Scott Sherman said he'll need to see the details of the deal before making a decision.

On the one hand, he'd like to see the voters voices be heard through the recall process but it's not guaranteed the recall effort will be successful, he said.

“If we’re looking at a small bit of attorney’s fees and maybe a payout to a couple of these victims and we’re absolved of everything else then yeah, I’d much rather have the mayor out that way,” Sherman told NBC 7 News.

As with any negotiations, until the agreement is approved and signed, it’s still tentative.

At several times during his time as mayor, Filner has come to terms with an opponent only to change his mind.

For example, Filner agreed to a deal with the Tourism Marketing District then refused to adhere to the terms.

He also pulled permits for a remodeling project by Jack-in-the-Box in North Park and meddled in the development of a multi-unit complex called CentrePointe.

Once the agreement is approved by Council and Filner resigns, San Diego city government will enter a period of interim leadership.

Council President Todd Gloria will take on the role of acting mayor under the city charter. According to the charter, Gloria would not give up his position on the Council during this time.

Read the city charter here

There could be at least one primary special election within 60 to 90 days.

Filner, a Democrat, was asked by his own party chairperson to resign amid allegations of inappropriate behavior with women. Earlier this week, The Democratic National Convention leadership announced its members would vote on a resolution regarding Filner Friday at their meeting in Scottsdale, Ariz.

On Friday evening San Diego Councilmember Kevin Faulconer released the following statement regarding Friday's closed meeting:

“Protecting taxpayers has always been my top priority. This case is no different. I joined these mediation discussions to ensure the City gets the best deal possible for taxpayers. We must put this civic dysfunction behind us and return to providing City services to San Diegans.”

Read Related Stories:


Photo Credit: NBC 7 News/Getty Images

Hartford Emergency Services Director Fired After High-Profile Mistakes


Andrew T. Jaffee, the director of emergency services for the city of Hartford, has been fired, Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra announced on Thursday.

Jaffee was in charge of Emergency Services and Telecommunications, which includes the dispatchers, and there have been several high-profile mistakes involving 911 over the last two years.

Segarra cited several problems as contributing to the personnel decision.

The most recent happened last week when callers reported a shooting on Linnmoore Street.

911 calls released show that a dispatcher sent police to the wrong address, located almost a mile away from the correct location, even though the correct address was audible on the 911 call. 
Officers eventually showed up and found nothing, but neighbors discovered a body in a yard the next morning. 

There is an investigation into police, as well as the dispatcher in that incident.  

One of the 911 calls, includes a dispatcher hanging up on a woman who called for help because the caller wouldn’t give her name.
In July, another civilian dispatcher made a racial slur over a police radio.

In May 2011, Hartford Police missed a body in a home on Goodrich Street. She was not found until two months later.

A postal carrier called police in May to report that mail was piling up at a house. Police went to investigate, but a dispatcher made a mistake and turned them away. 

In July, a landscaper who voluntarily cut the grass called 911 and police found the body of Debbie Jurasus, 48, who died of natural causes in May.

Neighbors said they knew something was wrong because of the smell coming from the home after people broke into the residence and stole Jurasus’ car.

Segarra said on Wednesday that the city launched an investigation into the city's emergency dispatch center.

On Thursday, the mayor said callers should be treated with courtesy and he is concerned about services dispatched to wrong places.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fire Captain Pulled Gun on Co-Worker in Fire House: Cops


A New Haven fire captain is under arrest, accused of pulling a gun on another fire captain.

Captain Richard Rife, 47, of North Haven, turned himself in to police Thursday morning.

According to police, Rife was involved in a argument with Acting Fire Captain, Lt. Frank Ricci, at the Lombard Street Fire House on Monday. Lt. Ricci called police to report that during the argument, Rife pulled a handgun from a holster and displayed it to him and to other firefighters at the fire house, police said.

Both Captain Rife and Lt. Ricci were on duty at the time of the incident.

Rife is facing reckless endangerment charges. He was released on a written promise to appear in court on Aug. 30.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Arrest West Hartford Carjacking Suspect


Hartford police have arrested the suspect accused of stealing a car and crashing into two police cruisers Wednesday afternoon.

Alexander "Ace" Diaz, 22, was arrested this morning after leading police on a foot chase on Park Street in Hartford.

"Our detectives worked nonstop throughout the entire day and into the night trying to develop any information that we could," said Sgt. Michael Perruccio of the West Hartford police.

Perruccio said an anonymous tip led them to Park Street.

"This is a perfect example of when the community comes together to help us get somebody off the street who is dangerous," Perruccio said.

Diaz is accused of stealing g a 2003 white Toyota Camry from a man at the Elmwood Community Center in West Hartford on Wednesday.

Police spotted the car on Park and Putnam streets in Hartford around 3:50 p.m. As officers approached the car, Diaz reportedly drove off and led them on chase, hitting two police cruisers, authorities said.

The car crashed into a fence at the corner of Broad and Lincoln streets, a short distance away. Police said Diaz jumped out of the car and fled on foot .

Police said three adults and two children were inside the car before it crashed. They are still investigating to determine who those people were. Authorities said they don't believe the passengers were related to the victim.

Diaz was arrested around 10 a.m. Friday and transferred to West Hartford police custody.

He is charged with third-degree assault on a victim over age 60, second-degree strangulation, second-degree threatening, second-degree larceny, second-degree ciminal trover, two counts of risk of injury to a minor, three counts of assault on a police officer and third-degree robbery.

Diaz is being held on a $500,000  bond.

Woman Accused of Biting Off Another Woman's Nose


A woman from Chicago's south side bit the nose off of another woman during a heated argument earlier this month, Cook County prosecutors said Thursday.

Damika Robinson, 39, bit the victim’s face several times on Aug. 4 at the victim’s home on the 7000 block of South Rockwell Street, authorities said.

One of the bites took off the woman’s nose, authorities said in a report. The 38-year-old victim suffered "several bite marks to her face including her nose being bit off," the police report said.

Robinson, of the 1500 block of East 61st, was arrested Tuesday. She was ordered held on a $225,000 bond after being charged with aggravated battery.

Police Warn of Motorcycle, ATV Thefts in Waterford


Waterford police plan to add patrol units during late-evening shifts because of a series of thefts and attempted.

The most recent case happened around 2:30 a.m. on Thursday in the area of Boston Post and Ellen Ward roads when a homeowner noticed four people in his backyard and chased them away, according to police.

The warning comes days after police arrested several people suspected of trying to steal motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles in the Devonshire Drive/Giovanni Drive/Fog Plain/Robin Street area.

The thieves have been striking at night, targeting residences with open sheds and unlocked garages, according to law enforcement.

Residents of Devonshire Drive called police around 1:30 a.m. on Monday to report hearing people in their backyards.

Officers responded and determined that the culprits ran into the woods, so they went in after them.

As police were searching for the burglars, a motorcycle in the woods started up and came at the officers.

The passenger kicked a female officer in the chest, injuring her and causing the bike to crash, police said.

After a brief foot chase, police arrested a 17-year-old and Yojang Torres, 19, of New London.
Torres was charged with criminal trespass in the second degree, assault in the third degree and assault on safety or emergency personnel.

At 2:15 a.m. on Tuesday, police received a call from residents of Robin Street, who heard noises in their back yard and found males in their shed, police said.

After confronting them and attempting to detain them, one of the males struck a woman and they fled.

An off-duty Waterford police officer who heard the commotion came to their aid and detained one of the males, police said.

A Waterford police officer saw a car fleeing the area on Fog Plain Road, and stopped it in the area of the New London High School.

The driver, who police said goes by the street name “Yo Yo,” fled.

The other three males in the car were detained and arrested.

Police arrested Manuel Ortiz, 18, Emanuel Rivera, 19, and Steven Colon, 19, all of New London, and a 17-year-old.

All four were charged with conspiracy to commit crime, criminal trespass in the second degree, burglary in the third degree and criminal mischief in the second degree.

Colon was also charged with assault in the third degree.

Police are asking residents to lock their sheds and trailers and be aware of suspicious activity, but to call police instead of taking matters into your own hands.

Chasing after intruders puts residents at risk and also allows people committing crimes the opportunity to elude law enforcement, police warn.

Waterford Police are trying to identify the man known as “Yo Yo,” including his real name and address.

If you have any information about his name, or where stolen motorcycles or ATVs are located, please contact the Waterford Police on Facebook via direct message, by phone at 860-442-9451, or to the investigating Officer, Officer Surdo at nsurdo@waterfordct.org. All contact will be kept confidential.

Police are also trying to find the owner of a red motorcycle that was stolen on Monday.

If you know who this motorcycle belongs to and ownership can be proven, it will be returned to them.


Police said the car below is the one that "Yo Yo" was driving in.

Photo Credit: Waterford police

Car Down Embankment on Wilbur Cross


One lane of the Wilbur Cross Highway northbound is blocked at Miller Avenue on the Wallingford/Meriden line after a car went down an embankment. 

Expect delays if you are traveling along this route.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

K-Cup Caper at Dunkin’ Donuts in Manchester


Dunkin’ Donuts' motto is "America Runs on Dunkin," but police will come looking for you if you run off with Dunkin'.

Police are looking for the burglar who struck at the Dunkin’ Donuts at 445 Hartford Road between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. on Wednesday and stole a whole lot of single-cup serving containers of coffee grounds.

How many K-cups were stolen is not known, but police said it was a significant amount.

Police released a surveillance photo and ask anyone who can identify the man to call the detective division at 860-645-5510.

Photo Credit: Manchester police

Window Washer in Stable After 7-Floor Fall From High-Rise


A window washer has survived a seven-floor fall from a Rittenhouse Square high-rise.

One day after the fall, he's recovering at Hahnemann University Hospital in stable condition.

Witnesses tell NBC10 three men were washing windows at the Rittenhouse Claridge apartment building at 201 S. 18th Street when one fell from the face of the building around 2 p.m. Thursday.

Philadelphia Police at the scene said the man was hanging from a suspension cable when he fell from outside the building's eighth floor.

"I looked up and saw something coming down and I thought it was a big bag of trash or something and it hit the thing, hit the bottom," said Tracey Downey, witness. "I ran over there and the guy said call 911, it was a human."

The window washer landed on a second floor roof, which is over the apartment building's lobby.

Firefighters could be seen putting the man onto a stretcher as they took him into the building through a window.

Police said the man was awake and talking as paramedics loaded him into an ambulance.

Philadelphia Fire Department officials said the city's Department of Licenses & Inspections were dispatched to inspect the window washing equipment.

The Rittenhouse Claridge is across the street from Philadelphia's swanky Rittenhouse Square. The building stands 26 stories tall and has a TD Bank branch and the popular restaurant Rouge taking up residence on street level.

Photo Credit: NBC10- George Spencer

Police: Knife-Point Robber Might Be Repeat Offender


Police are searching for the man who they say robbed a Simsbury convenience store and a Windsor Locks hotel, both at knife point.

The Sunrise Convenience Store at 1225 Hopmeadow Street in Simsbury was robbed around 11:10 p.m. on Thursday. Police said the robber presented a knife and took an unidentified amount of cash. He left in an unknown vehicle.

They think it's the same person who robbed a Days Inn on Ella Grasso Boulevard in Windsor Locks this morning.

According to police, the robber walked into the Days Inn Hotel on Ella Grasso Turnpike around 6:30 a.m. and demanded money from the clerk at the front desk.

He lifted his shirt to reveal a knife in his waistband, police said. The clerk reportedly handed over $200 cash, and the man fled south on Ella Grasso Turnpike.

Police tried to track him with a K-9 unit but lost his trail.

The robber is described as a white or light-skinned Hispanic man in his 30s, standing 5-feet-4 to 5-feet-6-inches tall, with a dark-colored mustache. Police said he has tattoos on both forearms and on the right side of his neck.

Police said they believe the same person is responsible for both robberies.

He is likely armed with a knife.

Simsbury and Windsor Locks police are working together to track him down. Police from both departments said they hope to release surveillance video this afternoon.

Anyone with information should contact Windsor Locks police at 860-627-1461 or Det. Sgt. Tom Sheehan of the Simsbury police at 860-658-3140.

Photo Credit: Simsbury police

Broken Water Main Causes Road Closures in New Britain


Water has been pouring out of a ruptured main in New Britain for hours, and crews say the road will be closed overnight as they work to make repairs.

The main has been gushing water at the intersection of Corbin Avenue and Wilma Street since before 11:30 this morning.

Corbin Avenue is flooded out at the intersection, causing the pavement to buckle in the southbound lane, according to water department officials at the scene.

Workers said they need special equipment to turn off the valve. They're hoping to have it done by 4:30 p.m. but warn that it will likely take longer.

Authorities said the road will be closed overnight between Hooker Street and Somerset Drive.

No homes have been affected, but the Stop & Shop at 1309 Corbin Avenue may lose water for a period of time, according to officials at the scene.

Repairs will continue throughout the day and night.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Car Hits House in Monroe


A 70-year-old Monroe woman has been taken to the hospital after crashing into a house in Monroe.
Police said the woman was driving a 2008 Kia Sportage, when it went off the road and hit the house in 363 Moose Hill Road this morning.

The injuries she suffered are not life-threatening, police said.

The woman was extricated from the car, but the car remains in building until the building inspector can evaluate the property.

No one inside the residence was hurt.

"I’ve been advised by the investigators on the scene that nobody was injured. Nobody was in any danger, so we’re very fortunate," Lt. Brian McCauley said.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Convenience Store Robbed at Gunpoint


Southington police are searching for the man who robbed a convenience store at gunpoint last night.

According to police, a man entered Sam's Quick Mart at 2211 Meriden-Waterbury Road around 9 p.m. Thursday and walked behind the counter. He pointed a handgun at the clerk and demanded cash.

Police said the suspect took an unidentified amount of money and ordered the clerk to lie on the floor while he escaped in red sedan with a Conn. license plate.

The suspect is described as a black man in his mid-20s to early 30s standing 5'9" tall. He was wearing a long-sleeve white button down, baggy jeans and white Yankees baseball cap, police said.

Anyone with information should contact Southington Police Detective Kyle Dobratz at 860-378-1654.

Photo Credit: NBC Philadelphia

Man Threatens Neighbors, Fights Cops: Police


A Bristol man is accused of threatening neighbors with a gun, then barricading himself and two family members in his Farmington Avenue home and fighting with officers who tried to arrest him.

Damase Caron, 56, of 956 Farmington Avenue in Bristol, was arrested Friday morning after he reportedly showed up with a rifle at his neighbors’ house on Britton Road. It happened around 7:35 a.m., according to police.

Police said Caron had returned home by the time officers arrived on scene. They found him barricaded inside the house, along with his estranged wife and 7-year-old granddaughter.

Police surrounded the property and began negotiations with Caron in an attempt to get him to come out. Caron finally agreed and walked outside, but became argumentative and belligerent, authorities said.

Caron was taken into police custody and charged with resisting arrest, three counts of second-degree threatening, second-degree breach of peace, risk of injury to a minor, criminal use of a firearm and first-degree reckless endangerment.

He is being held on a $100,000 bond and is due in court Aug. 26.

"School" Spelled Wrong on Enfield Road


A back to school blunder is getting people's attention in Enfield, Conn.

Town workers spelled "school" wrong while painting the word on Pearl Street and Hathaway Avenue near the St. Bernard School.

Viewer Derek Felker sent us the photo and Enfield Police said the Department of Public Works is responsible for fixing it.

It appears that it has since been fixed.

If you see news or weather where you are, share It! Email your photos or video to shareit@nbcconnecticut.com.


Photo Credit: Derek Felker

Rim Firestorm Burns in Yosemite, Soars Past 105,000 Acres


The raging Rim Fire that's been burning out of control since Saturday leapt into Yosemite National Park on Friday, with the total acreage count so far put at 105,620 acres, nearly doubling in size for the second night in a row.

On Friday, officials issued new voluntary evacuation orders to the towns of Tuolumne City and Ponderosa Hills. Both are about five miles from the fire line, Forest Service spokesman Jerry Snyder said.
A mandatory evacuation order remained in effect for part of Pine Mountain Lake, a summer gated community a few miles from the fire.

"It feels a little bit like a war zone, with helicopters flying overhead, bombers dropping retardant and 10 engine companies stationed on our street,'' said Ken Codeglia, a Pine Mountain Lake resident who defied evacuation orders of his community. "But if the fire gets very hot and firefighters evacuate, I will run with them.''

Although Pine Mountain Lake and other communities are threatened by the fire, within Yosemite the blaze is burning in a remote area and is not threatening the famed Yosemite Valley.

While Yosemite remains open, the wildfire caused the closure of a 4-mile stretch of State Route 120, one of three entrances into Yosemite on the west side, devastating areas that rely on tourism. Only one campground, Hodgdon Meadow, was closed, according to the National Park Service website.

"Usually during summer, it's swamped with tourists, you can't find parking downtown,'' said Christina Wilkinson, who runs Groveland's social media pages and lives in Pine Mountain Lake. "Now, the streets are empty. All we see is firefighters, emergency personnel and fire trucks.''

So far, no one has been hurt and only 16 structures -- four of them homes -- have burned despite the massive size. The fire now covers 165 square miles, more than three times the size of San Francisco.

Still, the rugged terrain and hot weather conditions have proved to be terribly difficult for nearly 2,000 firefighters trying to contain the blaze located on the mountain rims of the Stanislaus National Forest. Until Friday, the fire had stayed on the outskirts of Yosemite National Park.

But as of Friday morning, with the fire only 2 percent contained, the flames were continuing east, with San Jose Family Camp and Camp Tawonga still in the path of the fire as it moves of the middle fork of the Tuoloumne River Canyon, according to the U.S. Forest Service and CalFire.

 More than 4,500 residences are threatened.

"The biggest challenge is the fire itself,"  Lee Bentley of the U.S. Forest Service told NBC Bay Area on Thursday. "It's just too doggone dangerous."

The size and scope of the wildfire prompted California Gov. Jerry Brown to issue an emergency proclamation Thursday afternoon.

And several communities had been asked to voluntarily leave their homes.

"I'm a little shook up," said Groveland, Calif. resident Fred Faiella who had to find a safe place to sleep. "But it's in God's hands. I just gotta let what happens, happen."

In addition to the state plea for help, the city of San Francisco on Thursday also officially declared a state of emergency. 

Mayor Ed Lee said the fire damaged some of the city's power and  communications equipment owned by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission as part of the Hetch Hetchy Water and Power System.

San Francisco Public Utilities Commission spokesman Tyrone Jue said two of three hydroelectric powerhouses have been "offline" since Monday as a precaution. "We didn't want the lines energized...through a fire zone," Jue said.

Because of the proximity of the fire, power crews are unable to determine how much of the equipment, including large turbines, has been damaged. Jue said some transmission lines have been burned, but most towers and lines are still intact.

The Hetch Hetchy Reservoir in Yosemite National Park, which provides water to 2.6 million Bay Area residents and businesses, is east of the fire area, and has not been affected.There are no impacts to water quality or the water delivery and  supply system because of the fire, officials said.

For the last week, camps frequented by Bay Area residents such as Camp Tawonga, San Jose Family Camp, Berkeley Tuolumne Camp and San Francisco’s Mather Camp were also asked to evacuate and shut down their programs. On Friday, the fire was still actively burning east along the Mather Road and southeast along Pilot Ridge.

NBC Bay Area's Jodi Hernandez and Bay City News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

 More Bay Area Stories:



Woman, City Settle $105K Parking Ticket Tab


A Chicago woman whose car collected more than 670 tickets isn't being held to the more than $105,000 in fines those tickets carried.

Jennifer Fitzgerald and the city on Thursday announced a settlement that requires Fitzgerald to pay a reduced bill of $4,470.

The bill -- the largest parking ticket tab in city history -- was amassed in the three years a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo registered in her name sat in a parking garage at O'Hare International Airport.

Fitzgerald claimed the tickets weren't hers, alleging that her ex-boyfriend registered the car in her name without her permission before abandoning the car in an employee airport lot. She later sued, arguing that she didn't have access to the car, but a judge in April dismissed the case and urged the two parties to work it out.

Her attorney said the car should have been removed far earlier than it was, thereby reducing the number of tickets it collected.

With the settlement, Fitzgerald's ex-boyfriend will pay a portion of the sum and she'll continue paying about $80 per month until the tab is cleared.

She's been unable to get a driver's license because of the massive bill but will be able to do so once the fine is paid.

Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Man With Uranium in Shoes Arrested at JFK: Officials


A 33-year-old man carrying uranium inside the soles of shoes in his luggage was arrested at Kennedy Airport and accused of planning to sell yellowcake uranium to be shipped to Iran, prosecutors said.

Federal prosecutors in Florida say the man, from Sierra Leone, was arrested at JFK Wednesday after a flight from Paris. The raw uranium he is accused of carrying is not believed to pose immediate harm.

During an investigation over several months, prosecutors say the man had communicated with an undercover Homeland Security agent, promising he had connections to a firm that mined uranium in Sierra Leone.

Prosecutors say an agent first posted an ad on the website alibaba.com seeking to purchase processed uranium, also known as yellowcake uranium. Yellowcake can be used in nuclear weapons, when processed further.

The suspect responded to the ad, and began communicating with the agent.

Prosecutors say the agent told the suspect that he wanted to obtain the uranium to send to a Middle Eastern country "to be disguised with other types of ore and which would yield 1,000 tons of the purified element," the criminal complaint said.

The negotiations continued over several months, and the suspect flew to New York City on Wednesday, intending to board a connecting flight to Miami to meet the agent.

When he was arrested, prosecutors say he had raw uranium in two pairs of shoes and a thumb drive with a contract for the sale and supply of the uranium to Iran.

He is charged with violating the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and Iranian Transaction Regulations.

He faces up to 20 years in prison and possible $1 million fine. 

--Shimon Prokupecz contributed to this story

Hamden Stop & Shop to Close This Fall


A Stop & Shop in Hamden is on its last legs—the supermarket chain announced plans to shut down its store at 1245 Dixwell Avenue.

The grocery store will close its doors for the last time on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m.

“After a thorough review of the operating performance of our stores, we made a business decision to close one of our two Hamden store locations,” said Stop & Shop New York Metro Division President, Don Sussman, in a release. “We regret any inconvenience this will cause and encourage our customers to shop at our other Hamden store located at 2335 Dixwell Avenue.”

Supermarket representatives say employees at the ill-fated location will have the chance to transfer to the other store in town or elsewhere in New Haven County.

But the Hamden mayor says otherwise. Mayor Scott D. Jackson released the following statement on Friday:

“The Town of Hamden is saddened to hear about the announced closing of the southern Hamden Stop and Shop. This is a great loss, not only for the over 200 workers, but also for the southern Hamden community... While this is a sudden loss, we plan on doing everything possible to not only alleviate the loss of jobs, but also to take immediate steps to work on replacing the store with another use that will provide employment, shopping and services. We will work with our staff and CT Works to counsel the workers regarding their job search options. In addition, I have assigned our Economic Development Director Dale Kroop to work with the owner of the shopping center and brokers from throughout the region to help find a replacement store.”

According to a post on the mayor's Facebook page, Jackson has asked to meet with Stop & Shop representatives in an effort to change their mind and convince them to keep the store open.

The store will send its prescription records to the nearby Stop & Shop at 2335 Dixwell Avenue, supermarket representatives said.

Nearby Stop & Shop stores are located at:

  • 79 Washington Ave., North Haven
  • 112 Amity Road, New Haven
  • 150 Whalley Ave., New Haven
  • 460 Elm Street, West Haven
  • 370 Hemingway Ave., Trolley Square, East Haven
  • 104-106 N. Main Street, Branford
  • 275 Highland Ave., Cheshire

The chain employs about 60,000 people and runs 400 stores in the Northeast.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Police Make Arrest in Hair Salon Robbery


A 21-year-old North Branford man is accused of stealing from a hair salon in Guilford.

Christopher Carboni, of 16 Meadowbrook Lane, was arrested shortly after midnight Friday in connection to a burglary at the Urbane A Hair Salon at 2489 Boston Post Road in Guilford.

Police said they identified Carboni as the suspect after watching surveillance video from salon security cameras.

Carboni was arrested at the Branford Motel. He was charged with third-degree burglary, first-degree criminal mischief, sixth-degree larceny, possession of burglar tools and third-degree criminal attempt at burglary.

He was held on a $10,000 bond and was due in court today.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live