NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Man Accused of Sexting Teen


South Windsor police have arrested a Manchester man accused of sending sexually explicit text messages to a 16-year-old.

A complaint was filed in May and police arrested James McCaffrey, 20, on Tuesday.

He was charged with breach of peace and harassment in the second degree and released on a $5,000 surety bond.

McCaffrey is scheduled to appear at Manchester Superior Court on August 29.

Photo Credit: South Windsor Police

Police Surround West Hartford Home, Guns Drawn


Police surrounded a West Hartford home Friday afternoon after a burglar smashed through the back door while the homeowner was at work.

The homeowner at 395 Ridgewood Road, Brenda Murray, said she returned home from work to find lights on upstairs and the back door smashed in.

She grabbed her dog, ran outside and called police.

"It was horrifying," Murray said. "I was shaken knowing that somebody could have been in there, what could have happened, and I was really scared. Never had a feelign like that in my life."

West Hartford arrived at the scene around 4 p.m. and surrounded the home, guns and shields drawn. State police brought in a K-9 unit.

Police said they initially believed the burglar was still in the house, but two searches proved the home to be empty.

No one was home at the time of the break-in and no injuries were reported.

Murray said she's shaken up and hasn't been able to identify what was stolen yet.

The home is near the Interstate 84 off-ramp at exit 40 and is next door to the NBC Connecticut newsroom.

NBC Connecticut was on lock down for a period of time while police were at the scene.

The investigation is ongoing.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Officer Saves Man from Fire


A Norwich cop is being hailed a hero after saving a man from a burning building on Friday morning.
Officer Sean Sullivan was patrolling N. Main Street around 3 a.m. when he smelled smoke and tracked it to 56 N. Main Street.

Flames were tearing through the second floor of the two-story building, where Antoine Damas was trapped.

Officer Sullivan called for back-up and made his way into the structure.  

“I needed to get him out of the house. I didn’t know how bad the fire was. My main concern was to get him out,” Officer Sullivan said.  “I went up the front stairway. I started yelling for him. … He happened to see me and my flashlight first. He came walking through the smoke. I grabbed him by the hand and I just led him down the stairs.”

Both men escaped before the flames destroyed the house.

“There was a lot of smoke [in]…the living room and the kitchen,” said Damas.

Even though Damas lost his home, he said he’s grateful to have the one thing money can’t buy.
“I can’t buy another life,” said Damas.

Meantime, Damas is calling Officer Sullivan a hero, but the officer said he was just doing his job.

“I don’t say I’m a hero, but I’m just glad I was there when I was,” Damas said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Record-Setting Year Starting Up at UConn


Freshmen and their families carried boxes, bags and mixed emotions across the University of Connecticut campus today as they hurried to settle in before the first day of classes.

The Class of 2017 has already made quite the impression. The university is calling its freshman class the most diverse it's ever had.

The class comprises more than 3,700 students.

"It's really great with all this diversity," said UConn freshman Umbreen Majid. "Everyone around me is basically on the same level as me, and that makes me feel great."

But that's not the only record the students are breaking.

The incoming class has the highest average SAT scores UConn has ever seen, the most valedictorians and the largest number of Honors students enrolling in a single year.

"I think it's an honor to be a part of this," said freshman Keyanna Lawrence.

For now, most first-year students are just trying to acclimate to their surroundings. To make the transition easier, volunteers offered to help them move in.

The school also staggered move-in dates in an effort to cut back on congestion. School officials are asking everyone to take extra care on the roads and to keep a close eye on crosswalks.

UConn is also welcoming its largest-ever group of incoming professors.

The university hired 165 professors, increasing its total number of educators to more than 1600.

"It tells the students they're very lucky to be admitted to our university at this particular time in our history," said Sally Reis, UConn Vice Provost of Academic Affairs.

Reis says some new hires replace faculty who left at the end of last year, but, thanks to a recent tuition increase, the school has been able to hire with the goal of more than just filling vacated spots.

"We're one of the top public universities in the country, but we want to be better. We want to have more grants. We want to do more research," said Reis.

For incoming professors, jumping into UConn now is an opportunity to help make a difference.

Professor Lewis Gordon described UConn as "part of a global environment where it has impact all across the world."

"There's a lot of dynamism here, a lot of excitement, a lot of enthusiasm about what can be achieved. I very much want to be a part of that," said UConn Professor Mitchell Green.

Professor Marina Astitha said she felt the possibilities for growth at UConn were so great that she and her family moved from Greece so she could take the job.

"We're very excited to be here and part of the community, especially science and research," said Astitha.

The university hopes that, with its new students and faculty joining together, the possibilities will be endless.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Waterbury Mayor to Collect Pension if Reelected


Waterbury Mayor Neil O'Leary is once again in the public eye, but not just because of his campaign for reelection.

O'Leary has announced that, if reelected, he'll retract a 2011 campaign promise and collect the $90,000 police pension that he vowed to stop during his first term.

“I'm very comfortable with the fact that I've elected to take the pension now because I've got to take care of my family,” O'Leary said.

O'Leary tried to go back on the promise once before. He started collecting his pension last April, citing unexpected financial burdens stemming from family medical problems.

Days later, O'Leary changed his mind again. He stopped the payments and took out a loan.

“There was a time when I was struggling when I was going to break the promise," O'Leary said. "And I heard clearly from the public that they didn't approve of that."

O'Leary earns close to $120,000 in salary, but said he took a hit when his aunt suffered a stroke last year.

He's also supporting multiple households: O'Leary has a home in Watertown with his current wife, but lives by himself in Waterbury. He also has a daughter, who lives in yet a third home with his ex-wife.

O’Leary said the pension pledge came from an accusation by his opponent, who claimed O'Leary was in it for the money.

In hindsight, he admits that making the pledge may not have been the best idea.

“Quite frankly, I don't think it was the wisest decision. I really don't,” he said.

O'Leary said he failed to account for the income slash that would come along with leaving his job as Wolcott police chief, where collecting his pension wasn’t an issue. He spent 30 years with the department.

But he said the pledge to forgo his pension wasn't meant to be a permanent promise.

“I always said it would be for the first term. I never said it would be subsequent terms,” O’Leary said. “I made the promise and I fulfilled the promise."

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Bicyclist Hit by Trailer in Enfield


A man was run over by a trailer while riding his bike on Route 190 in Enfield this afternoon, according to police.

Police said it happened near Park Street when a tobacco tractor pulling a trailer accidently struck the bicyclist.

The victim is being treated for non-life threatening injuries, according to police.

No additional information was

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Panda Gives Birth to Cub at National Zoo


The National Zoo's panda Mei Xiang gave birth Friday afternoon after approximately two hours of labor, and zookeepers say another cub may be on the way.

The first cub was born at approximately 5:30 p.m., and officials say there is about a 50 percent chance another cub may be on its way within five or six hours. However, late Friday evening, Mei had not given birth to another cub, decreasing chances of two cubs.

Zoo officials in Washington, D.C. report Mei immediately picked the cub up and started cradling it. The sex of the cub will be determined in about two or three weeks, and the cub will stay unnamed for about 100 days. Zookeepers say they will keep their eyes on the cub at all times during the next few months to ensure it's thriving.

"We're going to be tense for the next two or three months," director of the National Zoo Dennis Kelly said Friday during a news conference.

Mei Xiang had been on a 24-hour pregnancy watch since Aug. 7 when she began cradling her toys, licking her body and "nesting." She was artificially inseminated twice March 30 after failing to breed naturally with the zoo's male panda Tian Tian. Officials say Mei and the cub will be in isolation for the next few months.

It's not clear who will be the proud father: Mei was inseminated with previously frozen semen from both Tian Tian and Gao Gao, a panda at the San Diego Zoo.

Mei Xiang has given birth to two cubs in the past. A female cub, born last September, lived only six days. Her birth was a surprise; she had not shown up on any ultrasounds. An autopsy determined she may have been born prematurely. Mei Xiang's only surviving cub, Tai Shan, was born in 2005 and now lives in China.

According to an agreement with the Chinese government, the cub will stay at the National Zoo for four years and will then be sent to China. 



Newtown Action Alliance Publishes Open Letter to Starbucks


Two weeks after gun rights supporters brought weapons into a Newtown Starbucks, community members published an open letter to the coffee company asking Starbucks to ban guns in all its stores.

The letter was published by the Newtown Coalition For Corporate Responsibility and backed by the Newtown Action Alliance, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the National Gun Victims Action Council.

Its dozens of signatures include those of Gov. Dannel Malloy, Senators Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy, State Rep. Elizabeth Esty, Newtown First Selectwoman Patricia Llodra, Starbucks employees, family members of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims, religious leaders and Newtown residents.

The letter reads:

“…your core customers are people like us who have come to understand how guns jeopardize the stability of any environment. They are people who have come to understand that to prevent another Sandy Hook, we as a society must prioritize the sanctity of human life over the individual’s ‘right to carry.’”

It goes on to thank Starbucks for closing early in Newtown when gun rights advocates hosted “Starbucks Appreciation Day” and brought guns into the store at 34 Church Hill Road.

Starbucks has said that the company does not endorse gun appreciation events but that its long-standing policies remain unchanged.

The letter asks Starbucks to take action.

“While we thank you for preventing gun carriers from senselessly inflicting further emotional trauma on our town by closing your Newtown location early last Friday, August 9th, we ask you this question: what about tomorrow and the day after that? What do you say to your customers in Wyoming, Texas, and Florida; where guns have injured three innocent people at Starbucks in the past two years?”

The letter requests that Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz venture to Newtown to discuss the potential for policy change... over a cup of coffee, of course.

Anti-violence advocacy groups are also encouraging community members to sign a petition posted by Moms Demand Action.

According to the site, representatives from Moms Demand Action will hand-deliver the petition to Starbucks headquarters in Seattle, Wa.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

North Texan Remembers King Speech


Peter Johnson is returning to Washington, D.C., 50 years after he marched on the nation's capital and heard Dr. Martin Luther King's famous "I Have a Dream" speech.

Share Your Dream With NBC News


In recognition of the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s iconic "I Have a Dream" speech, NBC News is asking Americans to share their dreams.

Simply complete the statement "I have a dream that…" with text, photo or video and submit it to NBC News on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Vine with the hashtag #DreamDay through the anniversary Wednesday.

Your dream could be shared on "TODAY," "NBC Nightly News" or NBC's Dream Day website alongside the dreams of notable figures including the Dalai Lama, Martin Luther King III, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and NBA star Carmelo Anthony, as well as familiar NBC personalities like Matt Lauer, Lester Holt, David Gregory, Al Roker, Natalie Morales, Chuck Todd, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb.

Telemundo also will participate, using the hashtag #misueñoes.

Chainsaw Victim: "I Was Ducking For My Life"


A Chicago man who was attacked by his chainsaw-wielding friend and neighbor Wednesday was released from the hospital Friday morning.

Police say Preston Smith, 55, and his neighbor, Anthony Metcalf, were hanging out late into the night in their Washington Heights neighborhood when they got into some sort of altercation, according to police. Metcalf is accused of pulling out a chainsaw and wound up slicing Smith's neck and hands, nearly slicing off some of the man's fingers.

"I was sitting in the car finna (sic) leave, he came out of nowhere with the chainsaw saying, 'What have you got to say now?' I couldn't say anything, I was ducking for my life," Smith said Friday at a news conference at Advocate Christ Medical Center.

The attack cut through the bone in Smith's left hand and severed tendons. Doctors say he'll undergo a long period of recovery, including one more surgery and several month of rehab.

"I feel like I'm very blessed. I'm very blessed that I didn't lose my hand, that he didn't hit me in the face or anywhere else," Smith said.

Metcalf (pictured, below) was charged with one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and was due in court Friday, police said.

Smith said the two have been friends for more than 30 years -- he even served as a pallbearer at Metcalf's father's funeral -- but he now says that friendship is over.

"I can't be friends with someone who tried to kill me," Smith said.

Smith says he had just got off work when the two had "words" over $30 Metcalf owed him. He also claims Metcalf was drunk at the time.

Teen Says Teacher Sent Him Sexual Facebook Messages


A South Florida high school teacher was arrested after she used Facebook to solicit sex from at least four students aged 15 to 17, the Broward Sheriff's Office said Friday.

Stevie Glasspool, 31, from Boca Raton, was arrested on Thursday by the Palm Beach Sheriff's office on a Broward warrant. She was in jail on $25,000 bond and was charged with soliciting a child for unlawful sexual conduct using computer services or devices. It wasn't immediately known if she had an attorney.

Glasspool was a teacher at Mavericks Charter High School in Pompano Beach but was fired in May, authorities said. She then worked at Hollywood Academy of Arts & Sciences for the first four days of the school year, the sheriff's office said.

The four students attended Mavericks Charter High School. The sheriff's office said she invited the students for a sleepover at her home in Boca Raton, and as an incentive, she offered them marijuana.

The sheriff's office said one message read: “I don’t want you to fall in love with me, but I also don’t want you to hit it and quit it either.”

Authorities said the messages were sent in April and May, while she worked at Mavericks.

Chris O'Neill was a junior at Mavericks when he says his English teacher, Glasspool, took their Facebook friendship to the next level. Sometimes, she would send him dozens of messages until he responded, he said.

"She didn't necessarily go all out the first day, but after 30 minutes of me talking to her that night, she got more blatant with me," said O'Neill, who is now a senior.

Some of the messages ended up on his Facebook wall for all to see. That's when he says that Glasspool deleted her Facebook account, but not before he saved a message allegedly from her.

"I'm here all night, but this sounds like a sleep over all night because if you give it like you say I may want more. I think I love this not being your teacher anymore," the message said.

Shortly thereafter he told another teacher and Glasspool was fired, he said.

"This lady is just a whack job. Whatever happens to her, happens to her and I have no remorse for anything," he said.

She was put on leave without pay. Meanwhile, authorities expect more charges to be filed and more victims to come forward. They  are asking anyone with information to contact them at 954-321-4689 or Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or www.browardcrimestoppers.org.

More stories from NBC 6 South Florida:


Photo Credit: Broward Sheriff's Office

Raw Video: Massive Fire Rages in Yosemite


A Northern California wildfire near Yosemite National Park grew overnight to more than three times the size of San Francisco and spread inside the border of the park. Watch scenes near Yosemites.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Mayor Filner Resigns: "I Never Sexually Harassed Anyone"


Blaming a lynch mob fueled by the media and political opponents, Mayor Bob Filner said goodbye to San Diego after its City Council accepted the terms for his resignation amid allegations of sexual harassment.

“It certainly was never my intention to be a mayor who went out like this,” Filner said Friday as he read from handwritten notes on a yellow legal pad.

Video: Filner Resigns Part I

Calling it the toughest decision of his life, Filner said he agreed to resign even though he knows he would be vindicated if given due process in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee.

The city's first Democratic mayor voted into office in 20 years is also facing a criminal investigation by the California State Attorney General's Office, our media partner the Voice of San Diego reports.

At first, Filner blamed his own personal failures for his downfall. Then he turned defiant, describing the atmosphere around City Hall in the last six weeks as the hysteria of a lynch mob.

“Not one allegation, members of the council, has been independently verified or proven in court. I’ve never sexually harassed anyone," the mayor said of the numerous allegations from more than a dozen women. Filner has been accused of grabbing, groping, kissing and making crude comments to women when he was mayor and a U.S. Congressman.

He said he takes responsibility for putting the city through "a very bad time" and then moments later warned city officials of how unsubstantiated rumors quickly grew into demands for his resignation.

"I am responsible for providing the ammunition," he said. "But there are well-organized interests who have run this city for 50 years who pointed the gun; the media and their political agents pulled the trigger."

Video: Filner Resigns Part II

After several days of negotiations with city officials, Filner agreed to resign effective Aug. 30 at 5 p.m.

Councilmembers David Alvarez, Mark Kersey, Lorie Zapf, Marti Emerald, Kevin Faulconer and Council Pro Tem Sherri Lightner and Council President Todd Gloria approved the settlement after listening to an hour of public comment.

Councilmembers Myrtle Cole and Scott Sherman were not in attendance.

City Attorney Jan Goldsmith presented the motion that was passed 7-0 in closed session. Read the agreement here

Here are the basic details: 

  • In possible claims against the city/Filner involving current and former employees, volunteers or contractors, the city will provide a joint legal defense for the city and Filner through the City Attorney’s Office.
  • Under the agreement, the city will dismiss its cross-complaint filed against Filner in the sexual harassment lawsuit filed by Irene McCormack Jackson.
  • The City of San Diego also agreed to pay no more than $98,000 total cap for any outside counsel Filner retains for advice.
  • The City can also seek reimbursement from Filner for any damages it is forced to pay arising out of the mayor's alleged sexual harassment conduct.
  • The agreement does not include criminal charges, if any.
  • Filner is not excused from repayment of unauthorized expenditures owed to the City.
  • The agreement does not include claims made against Filner based on conduct that may have occurred outside his capacity as mayor.

Filner's voice grew shakey and he appeared visibly emotional when he addressed his former fiancee Bronwyn Ingram. "I love you very much," he said. "I personally apologize for the hurt that I have caused you Bronwyn." Ingram broke off their engagement just days before the allegations of improper behavior were launched by longtime supporters Donna Frye, Cory Briggs and Marco Gonzalez.

Filner apologized to citizens for the scandal that has consumed the city for two months and had something to say to his accusers who included a retired Navy admiral, a City Hall volunteer, a Marine wounded in combat, a Veterans affairs nurse and a university dean.

“To all the women that I’ve offended. I had no intention to be offensive, to violate any physical or emotional space. I was trying to establish personal relationships. But the combination of akwardness and hubris led to behavior that many found offensive,” he said.

Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents former mayor's communication director Irene McCormack Jackson, commended her client for being the first of more than a dozen women to come forward. 

In a written statement, Allred said Filner "continues to live in his own reality."

She also shared this reaction from McCormack Jackson: 

“I'm relieved the City has rid itself of Bob Filner so that he will not be in a position to prey on any more women. My thoughts are with the courageous women, who because they spoke out, galvanized the residents of this great city and its elected leaders to rise up against a serial sexual harasser and a gross abuser of power. Bye bye, Bob. You will not be missed”

Video: Filner Resigns Part III

Throughout his speech, some of Filner’s supporters would interrupt him with comments or applause. He turned to the audience in council chambers, apologized to those who still backed him and asked them to carry on with his progressive vision for the city.

Filner offered the warning, "the fight for control of this city has become vicious and bloody."

Supporters stood and applauded Filner as he concluded.

“It's a sad day for San Diego but like the Mayor said the fight goes on. We have hope,” supporter Philip Liburd said after the council session.

Councilmembers offered their thoughts on the scandal and the agreement and shared a common theme - it's time for the city to move forward.

"This is not the time to be trumpeting a partisan victory, or dancing on Bob Filner’s political grave," Briggs, Frye and Gonzales said in a written statement Friday "We have not “won” anything, as our entire community has suffered dearly, and in a way that transcends politics."

Video: Filner Resigns Part IV

Approximately 40 people spoke in the council chambers on the 12th floor of City Hall, 202 C Street downtown. 

One of the mayor's accusers, Laura Fink, spoke in favor of an immediate resignation. Watch Video

“I hope that you will weigh carefully the offer that is before you and ask yourselves not only what the cost of resignation will be but the cost to each of us of enabling Mayor Filner to remain in office indefinitely," Fink said.

Rachel Laing with the Recall Bob Filner effort told the council that more than 1,200 volunteers have collected more than 20,000 signatures in just five days. Watch Video

“As citizens we have the right to vote and we have the right to recall,” said Mike McCormack, brother of the former mayor's office employee who has filed the sexual harassment suit. “Please be confident that the people of San Diego will successfully recall Bob Filner.”

“You have failed us. This media circus behind us is because of you. When you did the strong mayor charter and you didn’t figure out how you would be able to impeach a mayor,” recall organizer Stampp Corbin told the council. Watch Video

"I trust that you have brought forward a recommendation that you think is in the community’s best interest," said Lani Lutar, former president of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association. "There is no option in which the taxpayers will not have to pay."

Community activist Enrique Morones called the process a lynching, an execution and a kangaroo court then recalled the words of his late father, “ We will always remember those who stood with us, we will always remember those who stood against us but we will especially remember those that stood by and said nothing.”

“Bob Filner is a very good person,” said Sherman Heights resident Maria Ochoa through a translator. “Where is the justice? Who is behind all of this?”

Special Section: Mayor Under Fire

As for the councilmembers who were absent Friday, a spokesperson said Councilmember Scott Sherman "had a long standing family obligation that couldn't be rescheduled." A spokesperson for Councilmember Myrtle Cole said Cole is attending an educational conference in Washington D.C. that has been scheduled for several months.


Ex-Animal Control Officer Charged With Animal Cruelty


Police have arrested former Wolcott Municipal Animal Control Officer Joseph Ouimet on animal cruelty charges after hidden camera video revealed dogs being slammed and sprayed with chemicals, police said.

Police arrested Ouimet, 41, of Wolcott on an arrest warrant at 11:15 a.m. today and said it stems from incidents that occurred at the town’s dog pound. He was charged with four counts of animal cruelty.

Police started investigating in May after receiving complaints about conditions, including violations dealing with cleaning and sanitizing floors, grates, beds and bowls.

Hidden camera were set up inside the kennel area from May 5 until July 10 and the video revealed Ouimet slamming a dog between a kennel door several times and spraying two dogs with a hose, according to police.

The footage also showed a dog being sprayed in the face with a cleaning substance, police said.

Police said Ouimet was placed on administrative leave and given the opportunity to resign, police said. If he was found guilty, that could have resulted in termination.

Ouimet resigned from his animal control position on July 16.

He was released on a $1,500 non-surety bond and is due in court on Sept. 6.

Photo Credit: Wolcott Police

Restaurant Owner Accused of Sexually Assaulting Employees


The owner of a well- known shoreline restaurant is under arrest Friday night, accused of  sexually abusing workers.

Old Saybrook restaurant owner Michael Fowler, 55, of Kitterridge Hill Road, owns Mike's Deli and Restaurant on Boston Post Road.

According to a police source, Fowler sexually assaulted three of his employees. He is charged with seven counts of sexual assault in the fourth degree and one count of disorderly conduct, said police.

Fowler was released after posting $20,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Middletown Superior Court on September 3rd.

Top News Photos of the Week


View weekly updates on the very best photos in domestic and foreign news.

Panda Gives Birth to Cub at National Zoo


News4's Mark Segraves has the latest details in the birth of a cub at the National Zoo and the possibility of another on the way.

Cases Prompt City Car Crackdown


The City of Hartford could crack down on take home cars after a high profile problem, and this could save taxpayers thousands of dollars
“I do think it's out of hand,” said City Councilman Ken Kennedy.  That’s why he just wrote legislation to get rid of at least a half dozen take home cars for most department heads, who don’t consistently get called in for emergencies after hours. “That costs taxpayers thousands of dollars,” he explained.
Kennedy said these cars should only be limited to city leaders including the Mayor, Police and Fire Chiefs, and Director of Public Works.
This idea comes after big problems in June, when the Mayor’s former Chief of Staff was arrested when he took his city car without permission following his resignation. “I can’t justify the Chief of Staff having a vehicle…not in my mind,” Kennedy said. 
Kennedy also told NBC Connecticut he couldn’t justify why the Health Director, the head of Children and Family Services, and Economic Development had these take home cars, to name a few. “I don’t think there's justification for people taking city cars back and forth where we pay gas, insurance, and the maintenance on the vehicle,” Kennedy explained.
These workers have been driving on the public’s dime.  Ken Kennedy told NBC Connecticut, Andrew Jaffe, who was just fired as the head of Hartford’s Emergency Dispatch Center might have consistently driven his car to an address in Suffield, almost 30 miles away from the office. He said others have taken these cars significant distances almost daily, and it might be allowed under the current rules. “Taxpayers shouldn’t have to go and pay for them to get to work,” said Norman Ransom of Hartford.
It’s a practice the Hartford City Council could change in a matter of weeks.  For now this is just an idea, it will be discussed and possibly voted on at the next City Council meeting.

Family Remembers Christina and Ethan Anderson at Memorial


Kidnap survivor Hannah Anderson and her family mourned Christina Anderson, 44, and Ethan Anderson, 8, at a memorial service on Saturday at a church in San Diego’s Santee community.

“This was a national tragedy. It has been very painful. It has been un-ending pain and sorrow. I can say that it has been and still is the very worst tragedy to befall our entire heritage as a family,” said Christina's uncle, David Braun, while delivering the eulogy.

Approximately 450 people attended the 11 a.m. memorial service, which was open to the public, at the Guardian Angels Roman Catholic Church.

Neither Hannah nor her father, Brett Anderson, spoke at the service. The family has repeatedly asked for privacy during this difficult time.

The memorial program included a Biblical reading of “Letter to the Romans” (7: 3-9), the singing of hymns and prayers. Read the full program here.

Prior to the ceremony, Hannah greeted and hugged friends and relatives.

During the service, Hannah and her father sat at the front of the church, surrounded by family. They were both visibly emotional during certain moments. At one point, Hannah wiped tears from her face while her grandmother comforted her.

Anderson family member Braun -- Christina's uncle and Hannah's great uncle -- delivered a touching eulogy. He was the only member of the family to speak on Saturday about the lives of Christina and Ethan.

Braun said "Little Man Ethan" was a handsome boy “full of spirit.”

“He loved football. What a kid to have as a son, brother and member of our family. You just wanted to be his buddy,” said Braun.

When referring to Christina – or “Tiny Tina” as nicknamed by her family – Braun called her a devoted mother and wonderful person.

“She was very devoted to her children, full of life and always ready to help out if you needed a friend or a favor,” said Braun.

“We will miss them forever. We will always remember [Christina and Ethan] and ask: ‘What could’ve been?’” he continued.

Braun said their family will forever be impacted by the tragic events that have transpired.

Braun went on to thank friends, neighbors, the public and law enforcement for their “tremendous support” of their family. He also said the family's prayers were answered with the safe return of Hannah, and thanked the media and Amber Alert system for playing an important role in her rescue.

“For the media, and the Amber Alerts for Ethan and Hannah nationwide, to the four ranchers in Idaho on their horses, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you have all helped save our Hannah’s life, and we sincerely thank you from our hearts.”

Following the service, Braun spoke with NBC 7 and said he hopes the FBI and other law enforcement officials continue to investigate the deaths of Christina and Ethan.

Earlier this week, an obituary for both Christina and Ethan Anderson appeared in a San Diego newspaper.

The obituary gave personal insight into the lives of the Lakeside mother and son, whose charred bodies were discovered by officials on Aug. 4 at the burned out property of kidnap and murder suspect James Lee DiMaggio in the community of Boulevard, near San Diego.

According to the obituary, Christina – known as “Tina” – was originally from Georgia but moved to San Diego’s La Mesa community with her family at the age of 8. She went on to graduate from Santana High School and then Merric College San Diego as a holistic health practitioner.

Tina loved dance, fitness and NASCAR, and was a big fan of professional driver Jimmie Johnson.

She’s survived by her husband, Brett Anderson and her daughter Hannah, along with her mother Sara Britt, stepfather Ralph Britt and many other loved ones.

As for Ethan – known simply as “E” – the obituary described him as a caring “buddy to all his family and friends.”

Ethan was born on October 8, 2004, in La Mesa to Christina and Brett Anderson.

He was a 4th grade student at Lindo Lake Elementary School where he earned awards for good citizenship.

He also enjoyed sports, playing baseball and Pee-Wee football for the Lakeside Longhorns football team. His jersey was No. 27. Ethan also loved fishing and was a NASCAR fan, like his mother.

The memorial service for Christina and Ethan came exactly two weeks to the day when 16-year-old kidnap survivor Hannah Anderson was rescued by authorities in Idaho backcountry.

According to search warrants, investigators believe DiMaggio – a longtime friend of the Anderson family – “tortured and killed” Christina and Ethan on Aug. 4 before allegedly kidnapping Hannah.

DiMaggio then fled San Diego with Hannah, sparking an Amber Alert that spanned across six states.

TIMELINE: The Search for Hannah Anderson

The pair ended up in the rugged Idaho backcountry near Cascade and Morehead Lake, where they were spotted by a group of horseback riders on Aug. 7.

After seeing the Amber Alert, the riders reported the sighting to authorities, leading more than 200 federal, state and local law enforcement officials to the rural community in Idaho in search of Hannah and DiMaggio.

The pair was ultimately found by an FBI tactical team near Morehead Lake on Aug. 10.

Hannah was rescued safely by officials. DiMaggio was shot at least five times and killed at the scene.

Since then, authorities have declined to discuss a possible motive for the double-murder and abduction, and haven't addressed other details of the case, including how Hannah was treated by DiMaggio during the ordeal.

Hannah has since reunited with her family, including father Brett Anderson, and returned home to San Diego.

Days after her rescue, the teen was fielding questions about her kidnapping on social media. On Aug. 15, she made her first public appearance since her rescue at a fundraiser held for her family at a restaurant in her hometown of Lakeside, Calif.

There, Hannah's father briefly spoke to the media saying his daughter was "doing good, day by day."

On Aug. 24, Hannah and her father attended another local fundraiser. There, Hannah briefly spoke on camera for the first time, thanking the public for their support.

Earlier this week Hannah spoke exclusively to NBC's "Today" about her mother and brother. The teenager teared up when remembering her little brother and called herself a "survivor."

Photo Credit: AP
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live