Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Milford Man Accused of Stalking Stripper


Police have arrested a Milford man accused of stalking a stripper and trying to follow her home from her place of work early Sunday morning.

According to police, 40-year-old Angel Rivera of Ridge Street in Milford exposed himself to a female employee at Keepers Gentlemen’s Club at 354 Woodmont Road and was asked to leave.

He later followed the employee while she was driving home from Keepers at the end of the night, police said.

Rivera is charged with third-degree stalking, public indecency and disorderly conduct.

He was released on a promise to appear.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Groton Sailor Facing Child Pornography Charges


A state police child pornography investigation led troopers to the sub base in Groton.

On January 7, police arrested Adam Simpson, 27, of Groton, and charged him with possession of child pornography.

State police began an investigation into Simpson in January 2013 after detectives noticed files suspected of being child pornography were being shared from his computer on the sub base.

Because Simpson is a member of the U.S. Navy, state police notified Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and then executed a search and seizure warrant at Simpson's room on the base.

Investigators seized a laptop computer. Detectives found several child porn videos saved on it, according to court documents.

Simpson admitted to downloading child pornography, court documents revealed. He allegedly told police he was interested in girls 10-16 years of age. Simpson also said he used Skype and other video chat services to record young girls he had enticed into performing sex acts on camera, according to court documents.

He was arraigned on Jan. 8 and held on $150,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Dept. of Correction

Brain Dead DFW Woman's Family Sues


The family of a pregnant, brain dead Tarrant County woman has filed a lawsuit against a Fort Worth hospital to pull her off life support.

In legal paperwork filed Tuesday morning, the family of Marlise Munoz asserts that she is legally dead and that John Peter Smith Hospital has kept the pregnant woman on "'life sustaining' treatment, thus mutilating, disturbing and damaging Marlise’s deceased body, and further refusing to release it to Erick [her husband] for proper preservation and burial."

Munoz has been on life support since being found unconscious in the early morning hours of Nov. 26 by her husband Erick. The family said it doesn't know why she lost consciousness, though a blood clot is a possibility. Both Marlise and Erick are paramedics who agreed they did not want life support should a situation such as this arise. Marlise Munoz's parents agree.

When she was found, Marlise was 14 weeks pregnant. The family has said they do not know the condition of the fetus. Marlise Munoz is believed to have been without oxygen for some time before her husband found her. Doctors have told Erick Munoz that they are monitoring the fetus, but Munoz has said he's uncertain about how healthy the fetus will be given his wife's condition.

"You know what kind of damage my wife sustained, and what kind of possible damage the baby inside her sustained," he said during a recent interview.

A 2010 article in the journal BMC Medicine found 30 cases of brain-dead pregnant women over about 30 years. Of 19 reported results, the journal found 12 in which a viable child was born and had post-birth data for two years on only six of them -- all of whom developed normally, according to the journal.

John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth said Texas law prevents them from withdrawing life-sustaining treatment and following a family directive when a pregnancy is involved.

Specifically, the Texas Health and Safety Code Section 166.049 states that "a person may not withdraw or withhold life-sustaining treatment under this sub-chapter from a pregnant patient."

In the lawsuit, the Munoz family asserts that an earlier part of the same code defines Marlise Munoz's condition as legally dead. 

Experts familiar with the Texas law say the hospital is incorrectly applying the statute because Munoz would be considered legally and medically dead.

"Marlise Munoz is dead, and she gave clear instructions to her husband and family -- Marlise was not to remain on any type of artificial `life sustaining treatment', ventilators or the like," the lawsuit said. "There is no reason JPS should be allowed to continue treatment on Marlise Munoz's dead body, and this Court should order JPS to immediately discontinue such."

The suit argues that the hospital's interpretation of Section 166.049 is "in complete conflict with other portions of the statute, makes no sense, and amounts to nothing more than the cruel and obscene mutilation of a deceased body against the expressed will of the deceased and her family."

Additionally, the suit argues that Section 166.049 is unconstitutional and an "infringement on Plaintiff’s right to privacy pursuant to the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution."

Erick Munoz's lawyers, Heather King and Jessica Hall Janicek, also asked for an expedited answer from the court. No hearing was immediately scheduled.

Hospital spokeswoman J.R. Labbe directed questions about the lawsuit to the Tarrant County District Attorney's office, where spokeswoman Melody McDonald Lanier said attorneys were reviewing the case and declined to comment further.

That office serves as the hospital's legal counsel in many civil areas, including informed consent and state statute issues.

Labbe previously has said hospital officials stand by their position: "This is not a difficult decision for us. We are following the law."

Erick Munoz's lawsuit argues that his directives -- and the hospital's decision to not follow them -- no longer matter because Marlise Munoz is dead under Texas law.

The documents can be read here:

A date has not yet been set for the court case.

On Sunday, protesters took a stand alongside the family outside of the hospital as a show of support for the family.

NBC 5's Greg Janda and Associated Press' Nomaan Merchant contributed to this report.

New Britain Man to Prison for Stabbing Wife, Police


The New Britain main charged with attempted murder after stabbing his wife and two police officers in 2012 has been sentenced to 20 years in prison, according to the state Division of Criminal Justice.

Christopher Denigris, 53, was arrested in June 2012 after stabbing his common-law wife and two New Britain police officers who responded to the scene, then stealing one of the officers’ cars and crashing it into a fence down the road, police said after the incident.

Denigris was arrested and charged with several offenses, including criminal attempt to commit murder, first-degree assault, assault on police, kidnapping, first-degree larceny and criminal violation of a protective order.

Court records show this was not the first domestic incident involving Denigris and his wife. Information presented in court revealed Denigris told the victim he was not going back to jail and would take “as many people as he could” down with him.

He was held on a $2 million bond and was sentenced to 20 years in prison on Tuesday.

Photo Credit: New Britain Police Department

Scammers Pose as Utility Workers to Enter Homes


Bridgeport police are warning residents of a scam in which men posing as utility workers attempt to get inside residents’ homes.

According to police, men claiming to work for the gas company have targeted several city homes, many of which are occupied by elderly residents. Recent incidents occurred on Fairview Avenue and Summit Street.

Police said one suspect approached a Summit Street home and told the resident a gas line break had affected the home’s water supply. The resident brought the suspect inside and took him into the basement, at which point a second suspect entered and asked the resident’s wife about sinks on the first floor.

The two suspects spoke to each other in Spanish via hand-held radios, according to police.

They immediately left when one suspect noticed a Bridgeport police uniform hanging in the home’s sunroom, according to police. The uniform belonged to the couple’s son.

“Scams come in all forms and we ask people to be careful when allowing people into their homes,” said Bridgeport Police Chief Joseph L. Gaudett, Jr., in a release. “Ask for work ID, and scrutinize it. If in doubt, call the company where they say to work to verify. If they are legitimate, the workers won’t mind waiting a few minutes.”

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Trooper Justified in Fatal Shooting of Armed Robber: Officials


A state's attorney's report investigating the police-involved fatal shooting of an armed robbery suspect in Milford concludes that the trooper was within his means in using deadly force and acted appropriately in doing so.

The investigation stems from an October incident in which 29-year-old Matthew Lofaro entered the Patriots Fuel gas station convenience store at 719 Boston Post Road in Milford, brandished a Japanese-style sword and threatened an employee in an attempted robbery. It happened just after 3 a.m. Oct. 23.

State Police Trooper First Class James Scott, a 15-year veteran of the department, was patrolling the Milford area on Oct. 23, stopped at the gas station while on patrol, used the restroom and interrupted the armed robbery, according to a report by State’s Attorney Kevin Lawlor.

Scott exited the bathroom and confronted Lofaro, who was approaching the clerk in a threatening way. Police said Scott ordered Lofaro to drop the sword. When Lofaro refused, Scott fired his gun and shot him in the chest, fatally wounding him, according to the state's attorney.

Lofaro was pronounced dead at the scene. A store clerk inside the building was unharmed during the incident and Scott was transported to a local hospital for minor injuries.

Following department policy, Scott was placed on departmental administrative duty. The state’s attorney’s report, released Tuesday, concludes that Scott was legally justified in using deadly force against Lofaro.

The state's attorney said Scott will not be prosecuted.

The report shows Lofaro's blood alcohol content to be nearly three times the legal limit. Synthetic opiate derivatives were also found in Lofaro's system.

In November, state police arrested 29-year-old Jonathan D. Cenat, of West Haven, an alleged co-conspirator who was found asleep in the driver's seat of Lofaro's Lexus outside a nearby motel.

Police said Cenat changed his story several times when confronted by investigators and that cellphone records revealed he and Lofaro had spoken just prior to the robbery attempt.

Cenat was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery in the first degree, false statement in the second degree and interfering with a police officer. He was held on a $150,000 bond and appeared in court Nov. 22.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Burglars Target Indian, Pakistani Families in Norwich


Just days after East Haven and Norwalk police warned residents of burglars targeting Indian and Pakistani residents, Norwich police have released a similar advisory and these burglaries have been reported around New London county, shoreline communities and other states in the northeast.

Norwich police said several burglaries have been reported since July and that the suspects break in through sliding glass doors or other back doors to the homes. Gold jewelry and “valuable cultural artifacts” have been stolen.

Police said the perpetrators may be driving cars with out-of-state license plates, particularly those from New York and New Jersey. Residents who notice suspicious cars or people in the area should contact police right away.

Authorities are encouraging residents to lock their doors and activate their alarms.

Last week, Norwalk police warned of burglars who “appear to be well organized and have an understanding of the Indian and Pakistani cultures.”

East Haven police also warned of thieves targeting residents of ethnic Indian descent and said at least five burglaries had taken place within a period of 10 days.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

New Britain Man Hides in Stranger's Cabinet to Avoid Arrest: Cops


A New Britain man is facing charges after running from officers who tried to arrest him for weapons violations, then barging into an unknown apartment on North Street in New Britain and hiding in a cabinet there, police said.

According to police, officers arrived at an apartment at 238 North Street in New Britain around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday to arrest 21-year-old Jose Maldonado, of High Street in New Britain. Maldonado was wanted for criminal possession of a firearm stemming from a search executed Friday.

On Friday, officers saw Maldonado running from a neighboring apartment, which turned out to contain body armor, three handguns, more than 42 grams of crack cocaine, 76 packets of what appeared to be heroin, drug paraphernalia and ammunition.

Police returned to the apartment complex today to serve an arrest warrant and said Maldonado ran to avoid being caught. Police locked down the area and called in a SWAT team. North and Oak streets were blocked off during the incident.

Maldonado was later found hiding in a cabinet in a fourth-floor apartment at 238 North Street. Police said Maldonado had barged into the apartment, where children were present, and that the residents fled.

He’s charged with second-degree burglary, interfering with police and two counts of risk of injury to a minor in connection with the events of this morning.

Maldonado is also charged with three counts of criminal possession of a firearm and several narcotics violations stemming from the arrest warrant issued Friday.

He’s being held on a $650,000 bond and is due in court Wednesday.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Crews Battle Structure Fire in Killingworth


Crews are fighting a structure fire near the intersection of Burr Hill Road and Route 148 in Killingworth, according to fire officials.

The Killingworth Fire Department is receiving mutual aid from Durham, which sent a pumper and tanker to the scene.

According to the Durham assistant fire chief, the entire second floor appears to be engulfed by flames.

It's not clear how many people live at the home or whether anyone was inside when the fire broke out.

Check back for updates. 

View Larger Map

School Cancels Dance, Meetings After 100 Call in Sick


A school in Bolton has canceled meetings, as well as a school dance, after more than 100 students and teachers have called out sick with the bug that is going around. 

School administrators at Bolton Center  School said they are doing their best to keep the germs from spreading by wiping down all of the classrooms, providing disinfectant wipes to every teacher and taking the usual precautions.

“I think it’s a mixture of like a stomach bug and like a flu-like symptom thing,” Esther Jeffrey, a parent, said.

Monday night’s PTA meeting and a school dance were also been canceled because of the high number of illnesses.

Parents received an e-mail from the district alerting them to the outbreak. It said there were 120 sick calls on Friday. 

“Forty kids were also sick during the day, so they had to go home also,” Jeff Roth, a parent, said.

Skylar Jeffrey, a student, said students who are going to school are trying to avoid getting sick.

“I’ve just been trying to keep my distance and not get sick at all,” he said.   

School officials said there were fewer sick calls today than yesterday but there is still a high amount.

They sent a letter home to  parents, offering tips including practicing good hygiene; covering your mouth and nose when you sneeze; avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth; and cleaning and disinfecting objects.

They also advise staying home for at least 24hours if you have flu-like symptoms and remain home for at least 24 hours after your fever subsides.

They also advise talking to your health care providers about whether you should be vaccinated for seasonal flu.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Milford Bank Robber Indicated He Had Bomb: Cops


Police are investigating a bank robbery and bomb threat at Milford Bank in Milford this morning.

Police said a man wearing an AT&T hard hat and safety glasses walked up to a teller at the bank at 205 Bridgeport Avenue at 8:35 a.m., put a paper bag on the counter, indicating it contained a bomb and handed the teller a note. 

The teller complied with the demand and gave the man money, police said.

The man fled then toward Lenox Avenue in a car and left the paper bag behind, police said. 

Authorities surrounded the building, evacuated the bank as a precaution and diverted traffic from the area.

The state police bomb squad responded to the scene. Around 10:30 a.m., they determined there were no explosives in the packege and allowed investigators back into the bank.

Part of Route 1 in Milford was closed as police investigated and it has since reopened. 

Police said the man is around 6-feet tall and has a medium build. He was also wearing work gloves, a red flannel shirt, a jacket and dark pants.

Police released the following surveillance footage.

Town Ponders Separation of Church and Beer


The owner of a convenience store in Old Lyme is calling on the town to grant him permission to sell beer despite its close proximity to a church, and residents are divided on the issue.

Asif Chaudhry, owner of the Best Way Convenience Store at 281 Shore Road in Old Lyme, is asking the Planning and Zoning Commission to revisit the rule that prohibits the sale of liquor at establishments located within 200 feet of a school or place of worship.

The convenience store is right across the street from Shoreline Church. Chaudhry, however, doesn’t want to sell all types of alcohol – just beer – and is asking the town to reconsider its zoning regulations if the state Liquor Control Commission approves his request.

Some residents said they’d prefer to stay in keeping with tradition.

“I would not want something like that around my church or near it,” said Old Lyme resident James Witkins.

But others suggested the law is behind the times.

“I think that Old Lyme has strict rules about everything and that they ought to get on the page with bigger towns,” said Laura Weaver. “It’s a very old-school tradition that needs to be changed.”

Chaudhry’s proposal was discussed at a public hearing yesterday. The commission will hold another meeting next month.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

LAPD Car Carrying Mayor Hits Woman


The mayor of Los Angeles was a passenger in a police car that struck a pedestrian Tuesday in downtown Los Angeles, according to his office.

Mayor Eric Garcetti was traveling in an LAPD vehicle when it hit a woman about 12:20 p.m. near Second and Spring streets. Garcetti’s office said the mayor was on the phone and did not witness the crash, and has been interviewed by investigators.

PHOTOS: Brush Fire Burns Above PCH

"Our team of investigators have sat down with the mayor and interviewed him just as they would any other citizen or person in this type of collision," LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said. "He's been fully cooperative."

An unmarked LAPD sport-utility vehicle was driving the mayor eastbound on Second Street when, according to police, a woman walked into the roadway against a red light and between two vehicles, causing the crash.

The pedestrian, identified as a 59-year-old woman, was recovering in the hospital Tuesday night, Neiman said. Police first said the woman was 37 years old but later changed her age.

Homes Destroyed in Jurupa Valley Fire

"I'm very concerned about her and wish her a speedy recovery. I look forward to speaking with her soon," Garcetti said in a statement.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Climber Killed With Claw Hammer


Authorities had thought the death of a Virginia rock climber last month was a terrible accident. But now, they say a fellow rock climber killed the man, striking him with a claw hammer, after an argument near a popular rock-climbing park.

David DiPaolo, 31, of Bristow, Va., has been charged with manslaughter in the death of Geoffrey Farrar, 69, of Arlington.

Farrar was found with massive head injuries at the bottom of a cliff at Carderock Park, just south of Potomac, Md., Dec. 28. He was airlifted to a Bethesda hospital, where he died later that day.

DiPaolo has now told investigators that he and Farrar got into an argument in Carderock's parking lot, and that when he later encountered Farrar at the bottom of a cliff, Farrar began choking him.

DiPaolo said the two fell to the ground, and that he reached for a claw hammer, striking Farrar in the head until he let go of his neck, according to a police document.

Witnesses reported seeing DiPaolo running up a trail and leaving in a minivan shortly before they found Farrar's body.

Police say DiPaolo drove to upstate New York, where he made a phone call at a gas station to his father's nearby home.

The following day, an autopsy showed that Farrar's injuries were inconsistent with a fall. He had "numerous open fractures to the skull," according to a police document.

DiPaolo was arrested in Glen Falls, N.Y., last week and charged with manslaughter.

Acquaintances say the two men knew each other for years.

"They were different generations, but one common place that they loved, which was Carderock," said Dave Giacomin, a rock climbing club official.

After his arrest, DiPaolo told police, "I'm sorry this happened. I didn't want this to happen."

Court Fight Over Six Flags Death


The family of the Dallas woman who fell to her death from a Six Flags roller coaster says the theme park is dragging its feet in court and wants it sanctioned amid a legal battle in the case over photographs of the woman's body.

In new court documents, the family of Rosa Esparza asked the court to sanction Six Flags Over Texas, arguing it is intentionally slowing depositions and delaying the discovery process in the case.

Esparza, 52, was killed when she was cut in half after falling from the New Texas Giant during the coaster's first steep descent on July 19, 2013. According to the Tarrant County medical examiner, Esparza was ejected from her seat and fell about 75 feet to the ground below. The autopsy revealed she died from multiple traumatic injuries from the fall.

The family is seeking at least $1 million in a lawsuit filed last fall that alleges the park ignored dangers. Six Flags has denied liability in the case and said it did not design or manufacture the ride.

According to the motion filed this week, lawyers for the theme park halted depositions and moved for a protective order to keep the family's lawyers from showing photographs of Esparza's remains to teenage park employees.

Bryan Pope, a lawyer representing the park, contended the photos were "upsetting" and weren't necessary to obtain testimony from the teenagers. He argued that the photos were shown as a ploy to unnerve the witness and to try to break his focus. Pope told opposing counsel that if the graphic photos were to be shown, he would seek a protective order to keep them from being shown to the teens.

Chip Brooker, a lawyer with the Branson law firm that represents the Esparza family, said the photos were "reasonable and necessary" in the deposition because the person being deposed was one of the employees who discovered Esparza's remains. Lawyer Frank Branson added that the protective order Six Flags was seeking was baseless and was "an effort to unreasonably delay these depositions," which they had been seeking for months.

Included in the motion filed Monday was the Dec. 12 deposition with the ride attendant, who said he was confident he had secured Esparza's lap restraint. The ride's operator is mentioned in the deposition as saying that she believed the restraint bar was not properly in place but that she let the ride proceed anyway — a violation of the company's "If-In-Doubt" policy.

After several rounds of questioning, the deposition with the ride attendant turned contentious when Branson asked the teen to comment on photos of Esparza's remains. Pope objected.

"I am going to object because these photos are so horrific that we are not contending that there's any dispute about her death or where she was located, and these are very graphic, and I would request, Counsel, please not dwell on these," Pope said. "We are not going to certainly argue that that was where she was found or the condition she was in. There's really nothing to be gained by this."

"These are what you did to Ms. Esparza," Branson replied, according to the deposition. Branson added that he wanted to know what the teen had seen when he was sent to look for a body.

The deposition, which can be read here along with the motion to compel, ended a short time later.

In an email sent to the Branson firm on Jan. 6, Pope said he would not produce employees for a deposition unless opposing counsel agreed to not display the photos of Esparza's remains. From there, more emails were exchanged between the lawyers.

That exchange led to a Motion for Protective Order being filed on behalf of Six Flags and a Motion to Compel being filed on behalf of the Esparza family.

A date for the hearing on the motion and sanctions could be set for later this month.

Girl Told Not to Talk About Bible


A week after advocates for religious freedom said a teacher refused to let a allow a student to bring candy canes with a religious message to his school, a second Southern California school is under fire for refusing to allow a first grader to share her family’s Christmas tradition because “she's not allowed to talk about the Bible in school," a lawyer for the girl's family said.

First grader Brynn Williams wanted to present her family's Christmas tradition of a star of Bethlehem at her school in the Temecula Valley Unified School District in Riverside County on Dec. 19 but was told she could not present it, according to lawyers for the Advocates for Faith & Freedom, which works to preserve religious liberty in the legal system.

LA Mayor Was Passenger in Police Car That Hit Woman

"The disapproval and hostility that Christian students have come to experience in our nation's public schools has become epidemic,” Robert Tyler, the general counsel for Advocates for Faith & Freedom said. ”I hope that (the school district ) will take the lead role in adopting a model policy to prohibit this abuse that has become all too common place for religious-minded students."

"The Temecula Valley Unified School District respects all students' rights under the Constitution and takes very seriously any allegation of discrimination. Due to the fact that District officials are currently investigating the allegations, it would be inappropriate to provide further comment at this time," the district said in a statement.

PHOTOS: Brush Fire Burns Above PCH

Brynn's father, Shane, said he didn't think his daughter bringing the star to school "would be an issue of any kind."

"When this took place she was hurt," he said. "She felt that she had done something wrong and she was going to be punished."

Brynn's case comes on the heels of a case involving a first grader at a school in the West Covina Unified School District who was told, "Jesus is not allowed in school” when he brought a candy cane to school with a religious message.

Teen With Rapid Aging Disease Dies

The school assignment was for each student to bring to class something that represents a family Christmas tradition and do a 1-minute presentation on it.

Instead, Taylor said, Brynn's teacher interrupted her when she was going to recite a Bible verse and told her to, ”Go take your seat!"

She was the only student who was not allowed to finish her presentation, Taylor said.

Yale Fraternity Members Sued Over Fatal 2011 Tailgating Crash


Eighty-six former members of a Yale fraternity have been served with a multi-million-dollar lawsuit after a chapter member driving a U-Haul truck struck three people, killing one, at a football tailgate in 2011.

Brendan Ross, 23, a former student and member of Sigma Phi Epsilon, was driving that truck, which was carrying beer kegs when it slammed into a group of tailgaters in Nov. 2011. He's charged with negligent homicide, reckless endangerment and reckless driving.

The family of 30-year-old Nancy Barry, of Salem, Mass., who died after being struck, has filed a lawsuit against Yale, the national fraternity, the events security company, U-Haul and the individuals who rented the truck and got behind the wheel.

But the national fraternity is absolving itself and the suit now falls on the shoulders of 86 former members of the Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter at Yale.

Paul Edwards, the attorney who represents Barry’s family, said the national organization has all but abandoned its Yale chapter, arguing that it’s not legally responsible since the local chapter had not been incorporated and was a voluntary association.

Under state law, the local members are now liable.

“They did everything the fraternity asked of them and God forbid something unfortunate happens and the national just runs away from them,” Edwards said. “It’s ugly, and it’s unusual.”

Edwards said he believes the national organization will ultimately be held responsible for the tragedy. He doubts a trial will be held but says a settlement could still be in the distant future.

The attorneys for the national and local fraternities had not returned a request for comment at the time of publication.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

No Charges for Officers in Manhunt


The Los Angeles District Attorney announced that no criminal charges will be filed against the Torrance police officers who shot at a man during a weeklong Southern California manhunt for an ex-LAPD officer, lawyers for the man said on Tuesday.

David Perdue is the surfer who was on his way to catch some morning waves last Feb. 7 when he was stopped by Torrance police on the lookout for Christopher Dorner.

Read: Teacher Tells Student Not to Talk About Bible in School: Lawyer

After he was cleared by the first set of officers, a second set of officers drove up the street, rammed Perdue's vehicle and began shooting at his head. He was not hit.

"It was only the poor marksmanship of Torrance officer Brian McGee that led to Mr. Perdue being alive today," said Perdue's attorney Robert Sheahen.

In the report, the district attorney found that because McGee and his partner, Erin Sooper, were "anxious" and in a state of "panic," their attempt to kill Mr. Perdue was justified, Sheahen said, adding that investigators never contacted Perdue nor his wife for their accounts about what happened.

"The accounts of McGee and Sooper, while riddled with factual fantasy, were accepted at face value," Sheahen said. "Panic and anxiety have no place in a police force. This report piles prosecutorial gibberish on top of police lawlessness."

The report does not affect the Perdue family lawsuit which is pending in federal court in Los Angeles. Trial is set for Aug. 12.

Perdue, who is white, was driving his black Honda pickup on his way to pick up a friend to go surfing when he was stopped by officers looking for Dorner, a black ex-Los Angeles police officer who had promised to bring "warfare" to his former department's officers and their families.

The Perdue shooting was not the only case of mistaken identity that morning.

Two women delivering newspapers in Torrance were also shot at by Los Angeles police officers; the city reached a $4.2 million settlement with the women in April in addition to the $40,000 settlement for the loss of their pickup truck.

Authorities say Dorner killed four people, including two law enforcement officers, during a weeklong rampage that involved a massive manhunt and ended with his apparent suicide in a mountain cabin following a gunbattle with police.

At the time officers stopped Perdue, Dorner had already killed two people, and officers throughout the area were protecting people he named as targets. Authorities believed he was driving a pickup, although it was a different make and color than Perdue's truck.

The news comes a day after another high-profile case involving a Southern California police department ended with a bombshell verdict that stunned a community in Orange County. Two ex-Fullerton police officers were acquitted in the beating death of Kelly Thomas, a 37-year-old homeless man they confronted during a patrol call at a transit station.

Commuter Rail Council Meets on Metro-North Tonight


When the CT Commuter Rail Council meets tonight, they will be look into specific ways to keep rail commuters safe after a difficult year for Metro-North and commuters.

The rail has been plagued with a train derailment in Bridgeport last May, delays, the fatal crash in the Bronx and an employee being struck and killed by a train in West Haven.

Tonight, council members will be focused on the state Department of Transportation and Metro-North’s operational and safety updates, including the proposal to put
cameras on commuter trains that will monitor a crew's performance and detect problematic behaviors.

The meeting starts at 7 p.m. It will be held at the South Western Regional Planning offices in the Stamford Government Center at 888 Washington Boulevard in Stamford.

Members of the CT Commuter Rail Council represent commuters who regularly use the New Haven Line, the Waterbury, Danbury, and New Canaan branch lines, as well as Shoreline East, and the proposed New Haven-Hartford-Springfield line.

The public is invited to participate.

Man Critically Injured During Bridgeport Home Invasion


A 33-year-old Bridgeport man is in critical condition after a home invasion at his Pond Street home in Bridgeport late Monday night.

Police responded Pond Street near Woodrow Avenue shortly before midnight and found Geraldo Costa, suffering from a gunshot wound. He had been shot in the head during an apparent struggle with intruders, police said.

Cash was taken and police believe that the house was targeted and this was not a random crime.

Costa was taken to Saint Vincent Medical Center, where he was in critical but stable condition.

Police responding to the scene saw several people running from the area and went after them.

Officers lost sight of the people fleeing when they jumped into a brook.

Police and firefighters conducted an extensive search, using thermal imaging devices, but did not find anyone.

Police said they are pursuing leads.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Latest Images