Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Police Arrest Man Accused of Kidnapping Ex-Girlfriend


Bridgeport police have arrested a man who is accused of kidnapping his former girlfriend on Sunday night.

Police were called to the Food Bazaar on Sunday night and said the victim was trying to end a seven-year abusive relationship. 

The victim and her four friends were forced to get out of a car, police said.

Police have identified the suspect as Joshua Vega, 23, of Bridgeport, and said he threatened everyone with a gun, forced his ex-girlfriend into his car and fled on Interstate 95 South. 

Police determined that Vega's destination was the Bronx in New York and that he has domestic violence tendencies, police said.

An all-points-bulletin was issued and Stamford police spotted the car on I-95 around exit 5 and pulled it over, police said.

Bridgeport Police also responded to the location and recovered an illegal firearm.

The victim was treated for injuries.

Vega was arrested and charged with third-degree sssault, five counts of second-degree threatening, breach of peace, kidnapping with a firearm and possession of a pistol without a permit.

Bond was set at $100,000.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

One Killed, 3 Injured in Fiery Newington Crash


One person was killed and two people were injured in a fiery two-car crash in Newington.  

The crash happened around 10:30 p.m. and shut down Willard Avenue, in front of Newington High School.

Police said one person died at the scene, an ambulance transported two people to Hartford Hospital and Lifestar transported one person to St. Francis Hospital.

One of the vehicles involved was an SUV.

Police have not released the names of the people involved because they are notifying police.

Anyone who witnessed the crash is urged to call the Newington Police Department at 860-666-8445.

Photo Credit: Submitted by Matt Cox

Crash Blocked Three Lanes on Bulkeley Bridge


A three-car crash on the Bulkeley Bridge in Hartford was causing a backup, but the scene appears to be clear now.

Minor injuries are reported.

Connecticut Department of Transportation cameras in the area of exit 51 showed at least two emergency vehicles at the scene and a backup.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Find Drugs, Bomb-Making Material in Milford Home


Authorities in Milford discovered bomb making materials inside a man's home on Sunday morning while responding to a report of an intruder.

Police responded to 76 Pond Street at 4:37 a.m. after a resident reported hearing voices inside and outside his house, according to police.

When police arrived, they found the resident, 28-year-old Derek Meyers, and he was holding a gun, police said, and no else in the house.

During the security check of the home, police saw what appeared to be drugs and possible explosives. They said there was a grenade-style canister in the living room and a white bucket filled with materials "consistent with explosive making materials,"

Police said they also found a clear plastic bag holding a white powdery substance, which turned out to be cocaine, a hypodermic needle, a glass pipe.

Officers left the house, secured it and evacuated nearby residents.

The State Police Bomb Squad was called to determine the potential hazards and determined that there were several hazardous materials and a homemade device that appeared to have an electronic receiver attached to remotely detonate the contents.

Police said they also found several powders and electrical components that could be used to make homemade explosives.

Investigators obtained a search warrant and found smoke bombs and smoke grenades.

One smoke grenade had been altered with a remote receiver switch and flash powder, police said.

Investigators also found potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, flash powder) and nitric acid.

Neighbors were allowed to return to their homes in the early afternoon.

After a medical evaluation, police took Meyers into custody.

He was charged with illegal manufacture of bombs, illegal possession of fireworks, illegal possession of explosives, possession of narcotics and possession of drug paraphernalia and is being held on $250,000.

The Connecticut Emergency Services Bomb Unit and the FBI assisted Milford Police.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Governor Plans to Reintroduce Bill to Create Office of Early Childhood


Gov. Dannel Malloy plans to reintroduce a bill this session to formally establish the Office of Early Childhood to deliver improved programs and services to children from birth to 5 years old and their parents, the governor announced at a scholarship breakfast with members of the Delta Sigma Theta sorority in Hartford.

“I signed an Executive Order last year establishing the Office of Early Childhood because this fundamental priority was too vital to put on hold," Malloy said in a statement. "With another legislative session on the horizon, I believe it’s critical that the office be statutorily created to ensure future continuity of services. A smart, coordinated system that makes sure we are providing quality services to the children who need them is an important part of our effort to give everyone in our state the chance to succeed throughout their lives."

You can read the executive order here.

It recommending consolidating several programs previously housed in five separate state agencies.

A news release from Malloy’s office is necessary to detail the transfer of authority of the other state agencies to the OEC.

“Over the past seven months, we have made significant strides in early childhood in our state,” Dr. Myra Jones-Taylor, executive director of the OEC, said in a statement. “We have developed and validated our Early Learning and Development Standards, worked towards improving our child care licensing system, and invested in professional development and support to increase quality among our providers. We look forward to continuing to improve the early childhood experience for young children in our state. We hope that this legislation will be passed soon so that we may move forward with our important work.”


Argument, Burglary & Chicken Theft Led to Stabbing: Cops


New Haven police arrested a 23-year-old New Haven man accused of stealing a DVR, cash, frozen chicken, then stabbing a man who confronted him about the thefts, police said. 

Police responded to reports of a stabbing at Columbus Avenue and Ella T. Grasso Boulevard at 12:41 p.m. on Saturday and found the victim, Manuel Martinez, 21, shirtless, with an 18-inch long cut from one armpit to the other.

Martinez told police that he and a friend had been at a female friend’s apartment when her ex-boyfriend, Jeremie Jenkins, 23. of Adeline Street in New Haven, showed up.

Jenkins and the woman had broken up a month earlier after a three-day relationship and she told him to leave, but Jenkins got mad and threw a cup and plate outside through the back door, then went through the house, took the DVR, the woman’s wallet, her cash and a bag of frozen chicken, police said.

Martinez and his friend eventually went out looking for Jenkins.

When they confronted him and demanded that he return the stolen items, Jenkins pulled a knife and swung at Martinez, police said.

Police broadcast a description of Jenkins and saw him Jenkins running behind a nearby diner, with blood on him.

Police apprehended Jenkins and handcuffed him.

The wallet, DVR and frozen chicken were recovered from a nearby trash bin, police said.

Jenkins was charged with assault in the first degree, burglary in the first degree and larceny in the sixth degree. 

A doctor evaluated Martinez, who is recovering from his wound.

Photo Credit: New Haven Police

Police Find Suspected Explosives in Seymour Home: Police


Seymour police have made an arrest after finding suspected explosive materials in a unit at the Balance Rock Condominium complex on Sunday afternoon.

Police responded to 75 Balance Rock Road shortly after 3 p.m. on Sunday after receiving information about a possible pipe bomb and evacuated the building for around two hours as a precaution.

Police said on Monday that they have arrested Matthew Rolewicz, 33, of a resident of the complex, and charged him with one count of reckless endangerment. Bond was set at $5,000, but he was unable to post it and is being held.

When police searched Rolewicz’s apartment, they found a device resembling a pipe bomb, so state police bomb technicians were called in and the device was sent to the State Police Forensic Laboratory.

Police said they found additional items used to make an explosive device and seized them. 

Rolewicz will be arraigned at the Derby Superior Court on Tuesday morning.

Police said he could face additional criminal charges after police receive results from the State Police Forensic Laboratory. 

While other residents were evacuated, a temporary shelter was opened up at the Seymour Middle School on Mountain Road.

Photo Credit: NBC

Man Robs 91-Year-Old Liquor Store Clerk


Police are looking for the man who robbed a 91-year-old clerk at Central Package Store in Windsor with a knife on Saturday afternoon.

Police responded to 1709 1/2 Poquonock Ave. at 4:11 p.m. on Saturday for a report of an armed robbery and the clerk told police that the robber came in as she was stocking a cooler.

He was a holding what looked like a plastic gray knife, told her he wanted the money and directed her to the back of the counter, police said.

The man then opened the “old style register,” took the money that was inside it, grabbed several bottles of Jack Daniels Whiskey and ran out of the store, police said.

The clerk said the man went toward the back of the building and Welch Park, but she lost sight of him there.

A K9 track was brought in, but did not find anyone. 

The robber was slim and around 5-feet-10. He was wearing blue jeans, a dark grayish hooded
sweatshirt and what appeared to be a black and white stripped mask, police said.

His knife had ridges that had no shine to it, police said.

Police believe the man ran to a dark vehicle that was waiting.

Photo Credit: Windsor Police

20-Year-Old Man Killed in New Haven


A 20-year-old man is dead after being shot in the chest in the parking lot of the Fairview Apartments Monday afternoon.

Detectives from the New Haven Police Department’s major crimes unit responded to Eastern Street in New Haven before 2 p.m.

The victim was identified as Durrell Patrick Law of Daggett Street in New Haven.

Police said it appears that Law was shot in the chest over a robbery, but they continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Detectives are investigating and are eager to speak with anyone who has information about this crime. 203-946-6304.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woman Found Dead in Manchester Fire Was Homicide Victim


The woman who died in a house fire in Manchester on Saturday was the victim of a homicide, according to Manchester police.

Investigators identified the victim as 56-year-old Sarah Jaqueline Kelloway.

Firefighters responded to the fire at 52 Park Street after receiving a 911 call from the home's owner around 5 a.m. on Saturday. The owner, and a second-floor tenant were able to make it out of the house safely.

The fire was contained to a third-floor apartment, where crews found Kelloway dead in a bedroom, according to police. Kelloway lived in the apartment.

An autopsy conducted on Monday determined Kelloway was the victim of a homicide, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Manchester police and the Connecticut State Police Western District Major Crimes Squad are investigating Kelloway's death while fire investigators try to determine the origin of the fire.

Arrest Warrant Issued for Suspect in Assault on Officer


Police issued an arrest warrant on Monday for the man wanted in connection with a serious assault on a New Britain Police officer.

The warrant for Jaheem Snype, 19, is in relation to a stolen car that was used to run over the officer and drag him down the street on Sunday night.

The officer was sent to the area of North and Willow streets at 8:02 p.m. to investigate a report of a stolen vehicle. 

Less than half an hour later, he found the car in the rear of 56 Wilcox Street and approached, officials said.

That's when the driver ran over the officer, dragged him up the driveway and left him badly injured, in the street and sped off, police said.

The officer was found in the middle of the street, according to police.  He was in stable condition Monday night after undergoing a 9-hour surgery.

A news conference held around 8 a.m. ended abruptly when officers rushed out to a location related to the investigation.

Soon after, police found the vehicle involved -- a blue 2011 Hyundai Sonata with tinted windows and Connecticut plates:491ZUO -- on Sandy Brook Drive in New Britain.

The vehicle has been seized as evidence and will be searched once police obtain a search warrant.

Police have not released the officer's name and said his family asked that it not be immediately released.  Doctors say they believe the officer will make a full recovery.

Police said they found the car on Sandy Brook Drive. It was unoccupied and will be searched. 

Officers, meanwhile went door-to-door as they investigate and Mayor Erin Stewart visited the officer's family in the hospital.

"We are currently working with all hands on deck here at the New Britain Police Department to become a few steps closer to finding the culprit of this incident," Stewart said. "It's very unfortunate, but keep your prayers coming because we need them."

The investigation continues and anyone with information on Snype's whereabouts should call police immediately at 860-826-3000.

Winter Storm Warnings Posted for Tuesday


A significant winter storm will develop off the Eastern Seaboard Tuesday, bringing several inches of snow to most of Connecticut.

There will be some major changes in our weather over the next 48 hours, bringing very cold weather for several days and snow on Tuesday.

The forecast is for 5-to-8 inches of snow for much of the state on Tuesday, with chance for highest amounts in the south and east, according to NBC Connecticut Chief Meteorologist Brad Field.

An arctic cold front is moving through the state Monday, bringing very cold air.

The wind will combine to create wind-chill temperatures below zero Monday evening and overnight, and the cold weather will stick around for several days.

The second change will bring snow statewide later Tuesday and into Wednesday.

A winter storm warning is in effect from noon on Tuesday to 6 a.m. on Wednesday.

Because of the cold, Gov. Dannel Malloy has activated the state’s Severe Cold Weather Protocol.

When snow falls, send your photos to shareit@nbcconnecticut.com.

“Throughout the winter season, we continue to take the necessary steps to make sure that we can take care of those in need of shelter, especially our state’s most vulnerable populations,” Malloy said in a statement. “I urge anyone in need of shelter to call 2-1-1 and encourage local communities to consider opening warming centers or other facilities to help people in need.”

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

911 Calls Out in Children's Deaths


Police were called to a Germantown, Md. home just hours before the bodies of two young children were found in what officials are calling an attempted exorcism

A 911 caller alerted police to a situation at a Germantown home late Thursday evening. He said he spotted a baby inside of a blue Honda left alone for approximately 45 minutes. 

"The mother came out and said she had something going on that she didn't want her baby to be in danger in the house," the caller said.

During the call, the man says he was approached by two women from the home who chased him down, while one of the women talked to herself.

Police have not released what happened during their response to the home that night.

Another neighbor contacted 911 just after 9 a.m. Friday when she saw a bloody knife next to a blue Honda, with its passenger side door open.

"The windows of the house are open and I heard a lot of noises in the night, I heard a lot of jumping," the caller said.

When police arrived, they found the bodies of 1-year-old Norell N. Harris and 2-year-old Zyana Z. Harris. Two other children, Taniya Harris, 5, and Martello Harris, 8, were found injured and have been hospitalized. 

Within hours, their mother, 28-year-old Zakieya Latrice Avery, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder. The following day, 21-year-old Monifa Denise Sanford was arrested on the same charges. 

Police tell News4 the two women believed they were performing an exorcism and described the scene as "very bloody."

Avery and Sanford are due in court Tuesday.

OfficeMax "Deeply Sorry" for Letter


OfficeMax has apologized to a suburban Chicago man, several days after the company sent him a letter referencing the death of his daughter.

The envelope received Thursday was addressed to Mike Seay, but the second line read "Daughter Killed in Car Crash." The couple lost their teenage daughter in a car crash last year.

Seay's niece, Dana, confirmed to NBC 5 that OfficeMax called him at 9:30 p.m. Sunday to apologize for the mailing. Dana Seay said an executive spoke to her uncle and said he wanted to personally apologize.

Seay's 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, was one of two teens killed in a crash last April when their SUV veered off the road and slammed into a tree in Antioch.

Seay says he thinks about his daughter "10,000 times a day" and was shocked to see the letter.

"Why would they have that type of information? Why would they need that?" Seay told NBC 5. "What purpose does it serve anybody to know that? And how much other types of other information do they have if they have that on me, or anyone else? And how do they use that, what do they use that for?"

Seay asked his Facebook friends how he should handle it, and he eventually decided to contact the OfficeMax call center.

"The manager told her that it was impossible, that this can't be happening," Seay said.

NBC 5 reached out to Naperville-based OfficeMax, who blamed it on a third-party mailing list provider. The corporate affairs office released the following statement:

"We are deeply sorry that Mr. Seay and his family received this mailing from us, and we are reaching out to Mr. Seay to convey our sincerest apologies on this unfortunate matter. This mailing is a result of a mailing list rented through a third-party provider. We have reached out to the third-party mailing list provider to research what happened. Based on a preliminary investigation today we believe this to be an inadvertent error; and we are continuing the investigation. -- " -- Nicole Miller


Suffield, Canton Police Investigating Prescription Fraud


Suffield police are investigating a case of prescription fraud and said Canton police are looking for the same woman in connection with a case there.

The woman obtained prescription drugs with a fake prescription at CVS in Suffield at 3:25 p.m. on Nov. 16, according to police and they have released the surveillance images. 

Suffield police are asking anyone with information about this woman to call Detective Justin Fuller at (860) 668-3870.

Photo Credit: Suffield Police

Police Investigate Car Vandalism in West Haven


West Haven Police are issuing a warning about a recent car vandalism spree in the area of Marydale and Honey Pot roads and Bailey and Hilltop drives.

Police said someone has been spray painting vehicles and they have not identified the culprit or culprits. 

Anyone with any information is asked to call 203-937-3900 or text an anonymous tip TO 847-411.

Olympian Lolo Jones: Bobsled Gave Me a Fresh Start


Olympic athlete Lolo Jones appeared on a segment of the "Today" show Tuesday, days after the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation announced that she made it to the U.S. team for the Sochi Games.

Jones is no stranger to the Olympics. She represented the U.S. in track and field in the 2008 Beijing Games and again in London in 2012 before trading in her track cleats for a bobsled. The pressure, however, doesn't diminish just because Sochi is her third time at the Olympics, she said.

"Anytime you get to represent Team USA, it's the biggest honor that I'll have in my life" said Jones, who spoke via satellite from Germany where she is training. "You feel the weight and pressure of a country behind you."

Jones and another Summer Olympic veteran Lauryn Williams were among the 15 people named on Sunday to join the U.S. bobsled team, who Jones affectionately dubbed "The Wolfpack." Both Jones and Williams are the ninth and 10th Olympians to compete in both the Summer and Winter Games, according to ESPN. Williams won gold at the London games for the 4x100 relay and silver in Athens for the 100 meter sprint.

Jones nearly won gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and finished fourth in London in 2012 in the 100 meter hurdles. She turned to bobsled after London, saying the team "embraced me at one of my lowest points in my life."

"They lifted me up and day by day they encouraged me not to give up on this Olympic dream," she said on "Today." "So they really did give me a fresh start."

Jones said she had to gain 30 pounds of muscle for her new sport. While there are some similarities between track and bobsledding, Jones said there is "actually a lot that [she] had to learn."

"You just have to be really strong and powerful for bobsled," Jones said. "It's definitely more challenging than track and field."

She won silver her first race at the World Cup, according to ESPN, and took home the gold at the mixed team event at the 2013 World Championships. Jones said she would not trade her loss in London for anything.

"Knowing I hit a hurdle, got fourth place, I wouldn't change it for the fact that I know that it led me to be here," she said. "It led me to meet a great group of female athletes."

A few hours the federation announced that she made the bobsled team, she posted on Facebook her reaction to making it to another Olympics.

"Had I not hit a hurdle in Beijing I would not have tried to go to London to redeem myself," she wrote. "Had I not got fourth in London I would not have tried to find another way to accomplish the dream. Bobsled was my fresh start. Bobsled humbled me. Bobsled made me stronger. Bobsled made me hungry. Bobsled made me rely on faith. Bobsled gave me hope. I push a bobsled but bobsled pushed me to never give up on my dreams."



Photo Credit: AP

Man Charged in Fatal Connecticut Accident Is Missing


Old Saybrook police said a 43-year-old local man charged with driving under the influence in an accident that killed his girlfriend is missing.

Police told The Day of New London that they're looking for John Shepard and believe he has left the state.  http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Police-Make-DUI-Arrest-in-Fatal-Crash-216450001.html

Shepard was charged with DUI after the July 2013 accident that killed Leah Coleman, 49, of Old Saybrook, and police are now trying to serve a warrant charging him with manslaughter.

Shepard's lawyer, former Chief State's Attorney Christopher Morano, declined to comment on his client's whereabouts or the manslaughter charge.

Police said Shepard was driving a Jeep off-road and Coleman was a passenger when it rolled over near his home. Authorities said Coleman, a mother of two, wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Photo Credit: NBC

Documents Detail Priest Abuse


UPDATE: Chicago Archdiocesan Files Reveal Extent of Sex Abuse Cover-Up

The attorneys representing the sex abuse victims of 30 Chicago priests have released the internal files showing years of cover-up and the transfer of abusive priests to new parishes.

The documents include letters from Cardinals Joseph Bernardin and Francis George to abusing priests as well as internal memos from those bishops in charge. The 6,000 documents made public Tuesday morning are part of an eight year long negotiated settlement between the Archdiocese and the attorneys for the victims.

While NBC Chicago first broke the abuse story in 1990 and has followed it closely, these reports will reveal for the first time what the Archdiocese knew, when they knew it and how the information was concealed from parishioners.

The documents, released by AndersonAdvocates.com, will also be found at BishopAccountability.org.

"Publishing for all to read the actual records of these crimes raises transparency to a new level," George wrote in a letter distributed to parishes earlier this month. "It will be helpful, we pray, for some, but painful for many."

(Editor's Note: Many of the details included in the previously-secret documents are graphic in nature. Readers should consider whether they want to review such material.)

The files focus on the victims represented by attorneys Jeff Anderson and Mark Pearlman. Of the 30 priests referenced, 14 are dead. The Archdiocese said it is beginning to discuss how to release the files of all of the priests. However the files of any priests or brothers accused of abuse from religious orders must come through their specific order.


Photo Credit: Mary Ann Ahern

LIVE: Snow Falls on NYC's Times Sq.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live