Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Man Fires Shots During Argument in Hartford: Cops


Hartford police have arrested a local man accused of  shooting at people who were in a car this morning.

Police said Alfonzo Johnson, 34, of Hartford, and the two victims got into an argument near 181 Benton Street just before noon and Johnson fired two rounds from a revolver toward the victims.

Then, he got into a gray Honda that a woman was driving.

The victims chased Johnson until they got to 100 Retreat Avenue, where the victims
approached a Hartford police officer who was working a private duty road construction detail and told the officer about the shots fired.

The victims pointed out the alleged shooter and he led police on a foot chase that ended in the parking lot of 53 Maple Avenue.

Police said Johnson had narcotics on him.

No one was shot during the incidents and the female driver fled the scene.

Johnson will be arrested on drug-related charges and Major Crimes Division Detectives are still interviewing him.

Police said there is an outstanding warrant for Johnson for probation violation.

Police said the car involved in an older model gray Honda Civic with extensive rear end damage.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

"Uprising" Over Grammar Rule Change


Which is correct: Over 10 bananas, or more than 10 bananas? Either is OK now, as far as the Associated Press is concerned.

The AP incited fury among copy editors and style sticklers Thursday when it upended its decades-old style rule to let wordsmiths write either "more than" or "over" when assigning numerical values.

But as one journalist in Tacoma, Wash. put it, there could be an "uprising."

The AP Stylebook, the Bible for many journalists, had long warned writers not to use "over" when describing anything that had to do with numbers. (Did you eat 11 bananas? Then you ate more than 10 bananas — not over 10, at least before Thursday.)

"Over," under old AP rules, meant "higher than," such as jumping over a bench. And "more than" had meant "greater than."

But apparently seeing that people weren't obeying the old rule anyway, the AP announced the shocking switch and said either term was acceptable — much to the chagrin of many journalists who wanted to cling to tradition. Andrew Beaujon from the respected Poynter Institute predicted copy editors would be rocked to their cores.

The jokes and the indignation abounded.

Not everyone was stuck in their old ways, though.

Merriam-Webster lexicographer Peter Sokolowski, who attended the AP session where the decision was made, said via Twitter that there was "overwhelming evidence" that writers were using the two interchangeably, anyway.

"It’s futile to fight the tide," he tweeted, noting that there were audible gasps at the news.
He also knew the decision would not be taken lightly. "More than my dead body," he said one copy editor told him.

The old aversion to "over" appears to go back more than a century. According to the "Grammar Girl" website, poet and one-time New York Evening Post editor William Cullen Bryant decided in 1877 that he disapproved of using "over" instead of "more than" before a number.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Police Round Up Non-Compliant Sex Offenders in New Haven


New Haven Police, State Police, and U.S. Marshals conducted an operation to round up non-compliant sex offenders in the city on Thursday.

Authorities set out early on Thursday looking for 38 convicted sex offenders who have warrants out for their arrests.

"Every six months or so we do roundups, so these are all the most recent sex offenders who have failed to register," said New Haven Police Sgt. Elisa Tuozzoli.

The convicted sex offenders may also have violated probation or failed to verify their addresses, which is mandated under the sex offender registry.

Teams of officers went to each of the offenders’ last known addresses to take them into custody. Sometimes, police have to visit several houses to find the suspect they are looking for.

"A lot of times the addresses that people may use are relatives', and they may or may not have information on the actual whereabouts of that person. In this case, it actually worked out. The information that was given to us was correct and we were able to make the arrest," said New Haven Police Detective Jessie Agosto.

According to Agosto, finding two of the five people who were on her team’s list is pretty typical for this type of round-up.

"Especially when you’re dealing with failure to verify warrants because the reason that they’re not verifying is they’re probably not living at the addresses we have for them," said Agosto.

In all, police made 20 arrests on Thursday.

Police call this type of action an important step to keep the city safe.

"It just maintains compliance. They’re on the registry for ten years, or a lifetime, so you really need to keep an eyeball on people," said Sgt. Tuozzoli.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Oil Spill Closes Route 202 in Litchfield


Route 202 in Litchfield has reopened after an oil spill.

The road was shut down between Route 209 and North Shore Road, but reopened around 7 p.m.

Crews from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection responded to the scene as well.

According to the DEEP, the nozzle fell off a Bantam Fuel oil delivery truck allowing oil to spill onto the roadway around 3:15 p.m..  In all about 20 gallons spilled, DEEP said.

The oil caused a slippery condition, which led to an accident, according to DEEP.

Man Tried to Burn Baby With Lighter: Witnesses


Bridgeport police have a father in custody after an incident of reported child abuse on a city street. Police say, thankfully, good Samaritan Maribel Lopez was there to stop him.

“I hear the baby crying so I don't pay attention because a lot of babies pass with their mother crying,” Lopez said, adding she did think something of the crying a short time later when she heard the baby continuing to weep.

“When I look he’s got the baby in the hands, he's hitting the face of the baby, he's hitting his head with the truck,” said Lopez who ran downstairs and confronted the man while calling police. Investigators say as she tried to grab the baby, “He threw [him] on the floor, he took a lighter and he tried burning the baby.”

Officers were called to the scene in the area of Lexington Avenue and Calhoun Avenue  around 2:45 p.m. on Thursday. Before they could arrive,  Lopez took the 13-month-old boy away from his father, Marvin Williams, of Bridgeport.

The child did not suffer serious injuries, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out, police said.

Even police say this incident could’ve been crazier had Lopez not stepped in. They’re calling her a hero.  Lopez, a mother of four herself, just wanted to help.

“I don't know if I'm a hero or not but it's a baby. I see people passing and doing nothing.”
Police said it appeared Williams was under the influence of some substance. He was taken to the hospital as well.

Williams faces a number of charges including risk of injury to a minor and third-degree assault.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Huge Solar Storm Just Missed Earth


What apocalypse?

The planet Earth dodged a bullet almost two years ago, scientists have found — a massive, magnetic bullet, that is, in the form of a barrage of solar blasts that could have cooked our technological infrastructure.

On July 23, 2012, a rapid-fire series of those blasts sent an enormous pulse of magnetized plasma through space, and through Earth's orbit, in what turns out to have been a very close call for the planet, according to a study out this week.

If the eruption had come nine days earlier, when the ignition spot on the sun was aimed at Earth, it would have hit our planet, researchers from University of California at Berkeley and their Chinese colleagues found.

If it had, it could have taken out much of our technological infrastructure as we know it, including our electrical grid, our satellites and GPS and more, they found.

Their findings, published Tuesday in the journal Nature Communications, were based on a study of NASA's own data on the magnetic storm collected from its STEREO A spacecraft.

  • WATCH video of the storm from STEREO A in the video player above, or here.

Earth is awfully lucky the storm didn't hit nine days earlier, but such catastrophes aren't unprecedented.

The so-called Carrington Event of 1859 knocked out the telegraph system across the United States and made the Northern Lights visible even in tropical latitudes. That magnetic storm was about as strong as the one that could have hit in 2012 — but the 2012 one would have been much worse.

"Had it hit Earth, it probably would have been like the big one in 1859, but the effect today, with our modern technologies, would have been tremendous," said Berkeley research physicist Janet Luhmann.

A study last year found that if a storm like the Carrington Event hit today, it could cause $2.6 trillion worth of damage globally.

Photo Credit: AP

Man Shoots Himself in NJ Hospital


A man has died after shooting himself in the lobby of a Gloucester County hospital emergency room.

The unidentified 26-year-old man walked into the lobby of Inspira Medical Center Woodbury at 509 N. Broad Street in Woodbury, N.J. around 11:40 a.m. on Thursday, pulled out a handgun and fired on himself, a spokesperson for the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office said.

Sources tell NBC10 Philadelphia the man planned to commit suicide in front of his girlfriend, who works at the medical center, which was formerly known as Underwood Memorial Hospital.

The man was given treatment and was eventually flown by medical helicopter to the trauma unit at Cooper Medical Center in Camden, N.J. He died at 5:15 p.m., officials said.

A detective with the district attorney's office tells NBC10 Philadelphia there were 10 people in the ER at the time of the shooting and that the suspect did not make a threat towards any person.

Police were able to recover the gun and no evacuations were necessary, contrary to initial reports.

In a statement, hospital officials commended its staff for their reaction to the shooting, saying they regularly conduct drills for such incidents.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Two Wounded in Hartford Shooting


Police in Hartford were investigating a double shooting in the city’s north end that happened just before 9:00 p.m. on Thursday. 

Yellow crime tape roped off the driveway to an apartment building at 53 Martin Street.  Police said two men were shot in the leg. 

Officers found them in the parking lot of the complex.  Police said the victims’ injuries were non-life threatening.  Several cars in the parking lot also had bullet holes. 

The suspect in the shooting ran off.  Anyone with any information in regard to the shooting is asked to contact Hartford Police.

Case of Shelton Teen's Death Classified a Homicide: Police


A Shelton teen who was shot over the weekend has died, according to police.

Kristjan Ndoj, 15, was shot twice in a driveway on Agawam Trail on Saturday after riding his bike to a friend’s house.

Ndoj was taken to Bridgeport Hospital, where he was on life support. Police said this morning he has died.

"Today, the Ndoj family suffered the horribly tragic loss of the passing of their beloved son Kristjan, a bright boy, a naturally gifted athlete, who seemed wise beyond his years, will be remembered by all who knew him for the sparkle in his bright green eyes," attorney Michael Boynton, spokesperson for the Ndoj family, said. 

Lt. Bob Kozlowsky, of Shelton Police, said the case has been deemed a homicide investigation and authorities from several departments have been brought in to help with the case.

"We brought on other agencies. Our detectives and investigators have been working around the clock. This is not something we deal with on a routine basis, so we brought in the expertise of other law enforcement agencies,"  Kozlowsky said.

"Obviously, this is a very somber time for Shelton High School, the Shelton Public Schools and the entire Shelton community," Supt. Freeman Burr said.

Dr. Beth Smith, headmaster of Shelton High School, said she learned from police of Kristjan's death and informed the school community this afternoon. The school will continue to provide counseling.

"We send our thoughts of comfort  and sympathy to the Ndoj family, to my school community and to all those affected by this tragedy," she said. 

Smith said through Twitter that all after-school activities are canceled for the day and the school will postpone the Mr. Student Body show.  

Police said the person who shot Kristjan might have opened fire from the woods across the street to be concealed, according to investigators.

Police are investigating several theories about the incident, one of which includes a possible death threat that was made against Ndoj a few days earlier.

Authorities had said a girl’s boyfriend could be behind it.

Today, police did not comment on specific details of the investigation, but the reports of threats are one of many angles they are investigating.

No arrests have been made, and police have not say if they're any closer to finding the person responsible. On Thursday they wound not comment on any potential suspects.

Boynton said the Ndoj family is confident that police will find the person responsible for the "senseless act of violence."

Click here for a link to a fund set up by the community.

Huskies Eke Out OT Win, 89-81


The seventh-seeded Huskies led by two points in the opening minutes and then spent the rest of regulation fighting, clawing and scratching their way back into the game. They managed to even the score late, and take No. 10 St. Joseph's to overtime where UConn was finally able to string together some baskets before staving off a late St. Joseph's rally.

When it was over, some 2.5 hours after tip-off, the Huskies had won, 89-81. And now they'll face the winner of No. 2 Villanova and No. 15 Milwaukee.

UConn returned to the NCAA Tournament after sanctions kept them out of the postseason a year ago and, truth be told, they looked rusty and out of sorts for most of the night. Coach Kevin Ollie, who was making his NCAA Tournament debut, had talked all week about the confidence he had in his team, starting with senior point guard Shabazz Napier, who won just about every individual award imaginable in recent days.

But even Ollie had to be doubting his players' mindset through much of regulation. The Huskies trailed by 10 points in the first half before climbing back into it late in the second half. In fact, when UConn went up 73-70 with 3:45 to go in overtime, it was their biggest lead of the game. Then they were able to extend that lead down the stretch, converting 16 of 17 free throws.

Napier had 24 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists, but junior forward DeAndre Daniels was our player of the game. He started slow, but caught fire in the second half and overtime, making huge threes and crucial free throws, and finished with 18 points. Freshman Amida Brimah also came up big, scoring nine points -- including an improbable three-pint play late in the game -- and six rebounds.

Despite the gritty win, UConn has plenty to work on before taking the court again Saturday. They had no answer for St. Joseph's forward Halil Kanacevic, who had 12 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 assists before fouling out late. And Ollie's bunch was outrebounded 30-29 while allowing the Hawks to shoot 50 percent from the floor.

So, no, it wasn't perfect -- in fact it was hard to watch at times -- but the Huskies eked out a win and that's all that counts this time of year. It will take more than luck to make a deep run in the tourney, and you can bet Ollie will be stressing this point before their Round of 32 matchup.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Zoo's Sloth Bear Eats Two Cubs


Zookeepers removed a sole surviving sloth bear cub from its mother after the mother ate her other two cubs, the National Zoo announced Thursday.

The surviving cub was one of three born to a sloth bear named Khali on Dec. 29, but she ate her first cub about 20 minutes after birth.

"It is not uncommon for carnivores, including sloth bears, to ingest stillborn cubs, or even live cubs if they or the mother are compromised in some way," the zoo said on its website.

The zoo decided to leave the other two cubs with Khali because she appeared to be attentive, but she ate a second cub about a week later and began to ignore the remaining cub.

At that point, keepers removed the last baby, rushing her to a vet clinic to treat her for a low body temperature and give her antibiotics, vitamins and fluids.

Keepers have been acting as surrogate mothers since then, bottle-feeding her several times a day, carrying her in a baby sling and playing with her to encourage behaviors like climbing.

"Carrying the cub around for hours at a time gave us a unique opportunity to bond with her," said keeper Stacey Tabellario. "We quickly became in-tune with her vocalizations, movements and sleep patterns. With past cubs at this stage, we mostly only viewed them via closed-circuit television, so this has been a great chance to learn more about cub development."

Keepers said the cub will soon begin exploring the indoor dens of the zoo's adult sloth bears while they're outside, and hope to introduce her to the adults, including Khali, over the next few months.

Photo Credit: National Zoo

Crews Responding to Spill in Colchester: Official


Emergency crews are responding to the Westchester Hills complex on Westchester Hills Road in Colchester to deal with a fluid spill in from a garbage truck tank, according to a Tweet from First Selectman Gregg Schuster.

The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has also been notified, according to Schuster.

State police said there were no emergencies in Colchester and NBC Connecticut has reached out to DEEP.

No additional information was immediately available.



Dam in Need of Seismic Renovations


The clock is ticking for the Santa Clara Valley Water District to get the Anderson Reservoir dam seismically safe.

Experts say the dam in Morgan Hill is not seismically safe, and it would only take a 6.6-magnitude earthquake to make the dam crumble.

The reservoir holds 29 billion gallons of water -- more water than all the other reservoirs in the district combined. Morgan HIll and parts of San Jose could potentially end up underwater if the reservoir's aging dam falters in a strong earthquake.

"It could be devastating, a huge catastrophe," Santa Clara Valley Water District spokesman Marty Grimes said.

Federal and state regulators have set a deadline to get the dam seismically safe by 2018. The Santa Clara Valley Water District has until the end of this year to get the $123 million project underway.

In order to get the project started, the agency will have to empty the reservoir

"The timing is difficult," Grimes said. "We're obviously in a drought right now and we don't have to make that decision today."

Morgan Hill resident Cecilia Logan lives in the shadow of the Anderson Reservoir dam. She said it's counter-intuitive to empty the reservoir in the middle of a drought.

"We're asked to conserve water, I conserve water," Logan said. "But then water's just disappearing."

Experts said the chances of the dam failing are slim.

Officials also are keeping the water level at the reservoir low in case of an earthquake.

A decision on when to start draining the reservoir is expected to be made in the coming months.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

"Big Bang" Professor Speaks Out


It’s been two weeks since Stanford physics professor Andrei Linde found out that his Big Bang theory was true, but he’s still reeling from the repercussions.

Since the announcement  was made public Monday, 2.4 million people on YouTube have watched Linde react to news that evidence from the BICEP2 experiment in the South Pole supports his cosmic inflation theory of how the universe began.

For many, the two-minute video felt more real than any glammed-up episode of reality television could ever be. Hundreds tweeted, Facebooked and GIF'd it, leaving no doubt that the news had sparked the beginning of many discussions on life, evolution and the universe.

Lawrence Krauss, director of the Origins Project at Arizona State University, perhaps summed it up best in the New Yorker, explaining that the discovery could “allow us to peer back to the very beginning of time—a million billion billion billion billion billion times closer to the Big Bang than any previous direct observation.”

Linde called the media attention "a pleasant bump on the road."

“We are not exposed to this kind of attention, but that has changed,” Linde said Thursday. “We developed these ideas almost 30 years ago, nobody cared at that time, and only now they are being discussed seriously.”

So what exactly is inflation?

“Inflation is a brief stage of exponential expansion of the universe, which made the universe large and uniform, and produced the seeds for the large-scale structure of the universe,” Linde said.

He added that he is not entirely sure yet that his theory is true.

“I’m 95 percent convinced it’s true, but extraordinary statements need extraordinary proof. If these results are correct, they are among the most spectacular results in observational cosmology obtained in the 21st century. We should wait a little before they are analyzed and confirmed by other observers.”

As for his now-famous reaction on camera, Linde said that it was all real.

In the video released by Stanford University, assistant professor of physics Chao-Lin Kuo gets ready to deliver the good news to Linde.

“He has no idea I’m coming.”Kuo says into the lens, walking toward Linde's house.

“So I have a surprise for you,” Kuo tells Linde and his wife when they open their door. “It’s five sigma at point two.”

Linde’s wife, Standford professor of physics Renata Kallosh, says something that sounds like, “Discovered it?”

Then Linde asks Kuo to repeat himself again, and again, and then stops him mid-sentence, exclaiming: “Point two?”

Later, while celebrating over some champagne, Linde tells Kuo that the couple hadn't been expecting anybody and Renata had asked him whether he had ordered delivery from Amazon.

“Yeah,” he says in the video, “I ordered it 30 years ago. Finally it arrived.”

“My head is turning on my shoulders [since I found out],” Linde told NBC Bay Area Thursday. “There are some miracles about our world which do not allow us to sleep well … any results that support inflation, indirectly support the idea of the multiverse as well."

When asked where the discovery and subsequent validation of his theory falls in the pantheon of great scientific discoveries (Linde counts Einstein, Newton and Niels Bohr among his heroes), Linde said that although he wouldn’t compare it with quantum mechanics or the theory of relativity, it's really important to him.

“It’s changed our vision of life, the universe and our place in the world,” he said.

Photo Credit: via YouTube

Truck in Amber Alert Found in Md.


The man police believe is with a missing 8-year-old girl is wanted on murder charges after his wife was found dead Thursday. 

The body of 51-year-old Andrea Denise Tatum was discovered at an Oxon Hill Red Roof Inn as Prince George's County Police searched door to door for a missing D.C. girl.

Friday evening, Prince George's County Police announced they have an arrest warrant out for 51-year-old Kahlil Malik Tatum in his wife's murder.

The desparate search for 8-year-old Relisha Tenau Rudd of D.C. began Thursday with an Amber Alert, saying she was believed to be in the company of Kahlil Tatum. The search led officers to the Red Roof Inn, where Andrea Tatum was found shot to death.

Police say Relisha was last seen Feb. 26 at the D.C. Shelter for Families on the grounds of the old D.C. General Hospital in Southeast. Kahlil Tatum works as a janitor at the shelter.  

Relisha's mother, Shamika Young, said she has known Kahlil for years, and trusted him with her daughter.

"I didn’t see anything wrong with him. He’s a good guy," Young told News4 Friday. "When [Relisha] did go out with him, he brought her back. He would take her shopping, took her to see Disney on Ice, he bought her a tablet for Christmas, took her out to eat with his granddaughter."

The Amber Alert included a lookout for a white 1976 GMC truck police believed Kahlil Tatum and the young girl were traveling in. The car was found Friday morning in Hyattsville, Md., without a sign of the missing girl.

"Bring my daughter back to me right now, please," Young said, with tears streaming down her face. "It’s crazy. I want to know what’s going on."

Richmond Police spokesman Gene Lepley says police in the area were notified Thursday by D.C. Police to be on the lookout for Relisha. Local media outlets were also given her picture to distribute.

The GMC truck was the third vehicle in all that police had said could be associated with Rudd; the other two have also been removed from the alert.

Relisha was reported missing Wednesday by administrators at her elementary school. Sources tell News4 that her mother continues to refuse to file a missing persons report. Instead, the report was signed by D.C. Child and Family Services Agency.

Relisha is 4-feet tall and weighs 70 to 80 pounds. She has black hair, brown eyes and a medium complexion. Police said she may be in need of medication. 

There have been sporadic reported sightings of Relisha. Sources tell News4 that a witness told police Relisha may have been spotted in D.C. Thursday morning with an unidentified woman, while a neighbor said he spotted Relisha about three weeks ago with Tatum. 

A source close to the internal investigation into district agencies interaction with Relisha Rudd and her family told News4 school officials have determined the girl was in class on March 5 and was seen by a teacher March 7. That teacher, according to the source, said Relisha said she had been ill and staying with her grandmother. Rudd was not in class on March 7, but was on school grounds, sources told News4.

If you've seen Relisha Rudd, call police at 202-727-9099 or 911.

Man Scales SUV, Strips, Taunts Cops


A Delaware man was arrested on suspicion of drug use after he climbed on top of an SUV, stripped naked and taunted police.

Wilmington police told NBC10 Philadelphia they believe Darren Staats, 28, was high on the drug PCP, also known as "wet," when he scaled the occupied truck at 4th and Monroe Streets in Wilmington, Del. at 4:15 p.m. on Monday.

Cpl. Mark Ivey said the driver of the black SUV said she was stopped at a red light when Staats suddenly jumped onto the hood of her vehicle and climbed onto the roof. The woman’s 6-year-old daughter was also in the car.

A video obtained by NBC10.com shows the man beating the vehicle's roof and screaming. The driver tries to speed away but is unable because her car is blocked. At one point, the woman gets out of the car and tries hitting the man with what appears to be an ice scraper. However, he continues to stand his ground.

When police arrived, they ordered Staats to come down from the roof, but he refused, Ivey said. The man eventually began stripping off his clothes -- standing nude on top of the car. In the video, the man can be seen taunting police with hand gestures and his tongue from the roof.

Police were able to eventually pull Staats down and arrest him. Ivey says the man has been charged with disorderly conduct, criminal mischief and endangering the welfare of a child.

Staats is being held in a Delaware prison.

Contact Vince Lattanzio at 610.668.5532, vince.lattanzio@nbcuni.com or follow @VinceLattanzio on Twitter.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

K-9 Dog Recovering After Shooting


An Anaheim police dog underwent surgery Thursday night and remained heavily sedated in "a lot of pain" after being struck by a bullet in the face during a confrontation with a gunman who was later shot and killed by officers.

The incident began when probation officers were conducting a search in the 1120 block of Mayfair Avenue about 2 p.m., according to the Anaheim Police Department.

The probationer and two other men ran into an alley when they saw police, officials said. One of the men fired shots at an officer who followed them into the alley, but the officer was not hit.

The gunmen ran away, and police called a SWAT team and K-9 unit for help. During a neighborhood search, a police dog named Bruno found one of the men hiding in a trash bin, police said. 

The man then shot 7-year-old Bruno in the face, prompting officers to return fire, police said. The bullet shattered his lower jaw bone and re-entered the dog in his chest.

The gunman -- identified by the coroner's office as 21-year-old Robert Moreno Jr. (pictured, below) -- died at the scene. Police took one man into custody but were still searching for the third.

Bruno had emergency surgery at a veterinary hospital Thursday evening.

"He probably saved three officers' lives," Anaheim Police Lt. Tim Schmidt said of Bruno, one of six dogs in the K-9 unit.

The gunshot wound forced doctors to remove part of Bruno's lung. The dog slept "off and on" during the night and remained heavily sedated early Friday, Schmidt said.

"We should know in the next 12 hours whether the dog will make it or not," Schmidt said early Friday. "He's like a child for us."

Early Friday afternoon, the Anaheim Police Department tweeted that Bruno was "doing well" after visits from his human partner.

Photos on the Friends of the Anaheim Police K9 Association Facebook page show Bruno sitting happily in an Anaheim police cruiser (shown at right), and dressed in a shirt and tie with his handler.

"Great dog, loves kids, loves to be petted," Schmidt said. "We were very thankful to have him."

Support flooded in for the pup as he underwent surgery.

"Speedy recovery for Bruno!!! I know he's going to get lots of love!" an NBC4 viewer tweeted.

"Get better soon, Bruno! We all wish you a speedy recovery!" another viewer said.

 "All the best thoughts go out to this brave officer and his human partners!" another tweet read.

The Anaheim Police Department tweeted photos of Bruno sleeping after his surgery was complete (shown at left).

His handler, Anaheim police officer RJ Young, stayed by Bruno's operating room for his entire near-four-hour surgery.

The sable German shepherd has spent six years on the force and is the most senior of the Anaheim police dogs.

He is expected to remain at the veterinarian for six weeks, with medical bills in the thousands. Anyone who wants to donate to Bruno's medical care can visit the Friends of the Anaheim Police K9 Association Facebook donation page.

I-84 East Reopens in Newtown


Interstate 84 East has reopened in Newtown after a crash just before exit 10.

Two cars and a tractor-trailer were involved, according to state police, and the road was closed.

No injuries are reported, state police said. 

Twitter Celebrates 8th Birthday


San Francisco-based Twitter is celebrating its 8th birthday with a #flashbackfriday trick that lets tweeps see their first post on the microblogging site.

Twitter set up a website, First-Tweets.com, to allow its estimated 214 million users to look back at their first 140 characters.

The move has users around the world reminiscing about their foray on Twitter. Since its start as a quirky messaging tool, the platform has taken off as a promotional outlet for news agencies, police, politicians and celebrities.

In a blog post, Twitter shared what former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Twitter founder founder Jack Dorsey tweeted as novice users. Dorsey wrote: "just setting up my twttr." One of the more popular first tweets comes from Russian President Vladmir Putin, who congratulated president-elect Barack Obama on Nov. 7, 2012.

Check out your first post and have a look a few notable #firsttweets:

Photo Credit: AFP/Getty Images

Car Hits House in Milford


Milford police are investigating after a car hit the house at 280 North Street in Milford this morning.

The crash happened at 10:59 a.m., according to police.

The one person who was in the car is being evaluated for injuries.

The Milford building inspector and Milford Fire Department are also assisting at the crash scene.

A photo from the scene shows cracks in the foundation from the crash.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live