NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

8,730 Pounds of Chicken Recalled


AdvancePierre Foods is recalling approximately 8,730 pounds of frozen chicken breast products due to misprinting and undeclared allergens, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The products recalled were "Our Down Home Style Chicken Breast Fritters for Chicken Frying" with lot code 5440730403 or 5440800403, produced March 14 and 21, 2014. Only these lot codes and dates are affected.

Oklahoma-based firm said these products were distributed to food service establishments in Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and Virginia.
AdvancePierre Foods discovered the issue during an internal label review. The USDA said the problem occurred when AdvancePierre Foods used labels with an incorrect ingredient statement.
There have been no reports of allergic reactions.

Photo Credit: USDA

Lawsuit Filed in Wake of Hartford Dispatch Error


A lawsuit has been filed against two Hartford police officers, the police chief and a dispatcher, among others, in connection with an erroneous dispatch that led officers to overlook a body at a crime scene in August.

Hartford police launched an internal investigation following the incident. Two officers, including William Smith, were sent to the wrong address and failed to discover a shooting victim on the 300 block of Linnmore Street, police sources said.

The Hartford Courant names that victim as Valentin Santos, Jr., who was found dead the next morning.

According to The Courant, the suit has been filed against Smith, Officer Kory A. Ouellette, dispatcher Jennifer Martinez, Police Chief James Rovella, the city of Hartford and former emergency services director Andrew Jaffee, who lost his job following the incident.

Police confirmed that a lawsuit had been filed but said they could not release any information about the details of the suit.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hearing on Cadet Sex Abuse Allegations Begins


The Coast Guard Academy is conducting a hearing on Wednesday to determine how to handle the case of a cadet who is accused of sexually abusing another cadet at the academy in New London.

The cadet is accused of breaking into a female cadet's dorm room at the Chase Hall barracks in mid-September and touching her thigh when she was asleep.

The victim said during the hearing that she woke to find a hand on her upper left thight, kicked it away and saw the silhouette of the man who was running away.  She was able to identify him later, she said.

The hearing, underway in Hamilton Hall at the Academy, will determine whether the case should proceed, including whether there is enough evidence to warrant a court martial. It is open to the public.

When the defense team asked the victim what should happen to the accused cadet, she said he should be kicked out of the Coast Guard, have to register as a sex offender and be put in jail.

The hearing planned is similar to a civilian grand jury and no verdict or sentencing will be handed down during it. 

“These charges are accusations against the cadet, who is presumed innocent unless and until found guilty by a court martial. The Coast Guard is committed to providing all needed support to the victim, and to ensuring a full and fair proceeding in compliance with the Uniform Code of Military Justice,” Academy Assistant Superintendent, Capt. Eric C. Jones said in a statement.


Photo Credit: U.S. Coast Guard Academy Facebook page

Flooding Closes Route 17A in Portland


Route 17A in Portland is closed at the driveway to the Portland Fairgrounds because of flooding.

An alert from the state Department of Transportation said it was reported at 3:13 a.m. on Wednesday.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Connecticut Firefighters Travel to Boston Firefighter’s Funeral


Thousands of firefighters, including several from Connecticut, are paying respects to a fallen brother from the Boston Fire Department.

A group of firefighters from Connecticut made the trip to Massachusetts this morning to attend the funeral of Lt. Ed Walsh, who was killed in a nine-alarm fire in Boston’s Back Bay last week.

Last week, Chip Atzbach, of the Manchester Fire Department, listened to the scanners.

“And you knew something was wrong when you could hear the screaming,” he said. “And finally the word came out that two firefighters had perished and you know it’s a tough day because it could have been any of us.”

Before the sun came up, local firefighters got onto buses to make the two-hour trip to the church in Watertown, Mass. for Walsh’s funeral, a brother firefighter.

“I lost my brother in Boston and I’m going to see him off today,” Ron Trinks, a retired Manchester firefighter, said. “It’s hard. It really is hard.”

Walsh and Firefighter Michael Kennedy were both killed in the fire. Kennedy’s wake will be held today in West Roxbury, Mass. and his funeral will be held tomorrow.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Razor Blades on Pa. Playground


Parents in a Pennsylvania community are on edge after police say a vandal attached razor blades to playground equipment.

"I can't believe anyone would do that, that's disgusting," said one woman from the Delaware County community.

The razor blades were found duct-taped on playground equipment at Eaton Park at West Maple and Mount Vernon Avenues in Brookhaven on Tuesday.

"It's just absurd," said Joe Lombardo, the father of a 3-year-old boy. "I can't believe someone could do something like that. I'd definitely kill somebody over that. If my son got hurt, it would be a great thing for the cops to find them, let's put it that way."

No children were hurt.

Brookhaven Police removed the blades and checked other parks in the town. While nothing else was found, police say officers will continue to check the parks during each shift.

"I do see a group of kids who are up here all the time," said Bob Kilman, who lives near the playground. "I know they're up to no good and I always tell them to get out of here."

This incident came just a week after a toddler was hurt by razor blades taped to playground equipment in Illinois.

If you have any information on the vandalism, please call Detective Tim Habich or Officer Robert Barth at 610-876-6142.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

West Hartford Students Protest Decision Not to Rehire Teacher


Hall High School students rallied outside West Hartford Town Hall Tuesday to protest the school's decision not to rehire a popular teacher and coach.

Teens held signs before a Board of Education meeting to show their support for Nick Colagiovanni.

"I just want him to know we all have his back, and we don't know why this is happening," said Hall High School junior Max Aronow.

Students say staff members told them that Colagiovanni, who coaches three sports at the school and teaches physical education, would not be rehired next year, with no reason given.

But Colagiovanni said he believes his contract was not renewed was that he was twenty minutes late to proctor the PSAT at the school.

"In October, I was late to proctor PSATs at my school," he told NBC Connecticut in a text message. "It was a mistake on my part and I didn't think I needed to be in the building until 9 a.m. I was late for my assignment that day and didn't fulfill my professional responsibilities. West Hartford is one of the most prestigious districts in all of Connecticut and they want the best out of their staff every day."

On Tuesday, students and parents filled the Board of Education meeting and spoke on his behalf.

"I just don't think that Hall can afford to lose this person from our school," said junior Neil Kelley.

Kelley started a petition, which more than 1,200 students – nearly 90 percent of the school – signed in a single day.

He also got students to wear black on Colagiovanni's birthday.

Parents echoed their students' concerns.

"I am concerned that the administration has not adequately considered the positives that Mr. C. contributes to the school," said parent Jeanette Becker as she addressed the board.

As per policy, BOE members do not respond directly to comments, but the chair did say the schools have a non-tenure review process that he fully trusts.

"It takes a great cause to bring together a group of teenagers in this way," said  school senior Reid Silverhart, to the board. "Shouldn't that make you realize just how important Mr. C. is to Hall High School?"

Colagiovanni said he's grateful and overwhelmed by the support community members have shown.

"These kids and Hall High School mean the world to me. I'm so thankful to be a part of their lives," he said.

Students and parents hope their actions and words can keep Colagiovanni at the school for years to come.

"We just want closure for why this is happening, and if there is no reason, then we want him back," said Kelley.

The superintendent told NBC Connecticut it is not policy to comment on personnel.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Arrest Made in Guilford Home Invasion


Guilford police have arrested a suspect in a home invasion and said the victims were targeted.

The home invasion happened on Hart Landing early on the morning of Saturday, March 29 and a man and woman were injured, police said. One of the victims was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital to be treated.

Joseph Lachat, 36, of New Haven, turned himself in to police on Wednesday morning.

Police said the home invasion stemmed from a domestic violence incident.

The victims and home were targeted, according to police, and there was no threat to the general public.

Lachat was charged with home invasion, two counts of second-degree assault, first-degree burglary and two counts of second-degree criminal mischief.

Bond was set at $500,000 and he was due in court today.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Man Threatened Hamden TGI Fridays Employee: Police


Hamden police are looking for the man who they said threatened to kill an employee of the TGI Fridays at 2335 Dixwell Avenue.

Hamden Police received a report of an assault and threatening at the restaurant on Sunday and determined that a man confronted an employee around 2:30 p.m., made “gun gestures with his hand,” and said he was going to kill the employee

The restaurant manager intervened.

When the manager tried to contact police, the other man assaulted him, punching him in the face, then fled in a blue minivan toward Skiff Street, police said.

Anyone with information on the person in the photo police released should call Officer Joseph Liguori at (203) 230-4030.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police

Woman Mauled by Son's Dogs


The body of an 85-year-old Kaufman, Texas, woman found deceased in her home Monday had been mauled by dogs, police say.

Officers were called to a home in the 1400 block of E. First Street at about 4:45 p.m. after the woman, identified as Dorothy Hamilton, had been found deceased by her son.

Police said two dogs broke through a bedroom door to get to the woman but they have not been able to confirm if the dogs killed her or if they mauled her after she died. Investigators are classifying the incident as an unexplained cause of death pending the autopsy results from the medical examiner.

The woman's son, identified by family members as Michael Hamilton, told police he had seen his mother alive earlier in the day.

Eight dogs were found on the property and all of them were seized by authorities.  Police said all of the dogs, described as pit bulls, are very aggressive and will be euthanized.

Hamilton lived at the residence with her son Michael, who police said owned the dogs and had been keeping two of the animals inside the home.

Willie Thompson said he knew his cousin Michael had a couple of dogs but didn't know there were so many on the property.  Thompson said the dogs he saw weren't aggressive and were "more of a pet."

"Any time you lose a loved one in a tragic incident like this ... a sudden death, that's a hard thing to go through, so we working through it right now," said Thompson.

Carl Garmon, the victim's oldest son, said he was aware that the dogs were in the house and that his mother wanted them out.

"I was talking to her on the telephone, she was telling the dogs, 'Go on, Go on, Go on.' And, she said, 'I'm going to tell your brother to get the dogs out of the house,'" said Garmon. "She was a good woman, a very good woman. She loved everybody. Everybody in Dallas that knew her loved her.'

Police said no charges have been filed in the case at this time.

NBC 5's Greg Janda and Frank Heinz contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Woman Flown to Hospital After Fire in Scotland


One woman is hospitalized after fire broke out at a home in Scotland on Tuesday night.

Fire broke out around 11:30 p.m. at 572 Brooklyn Turnpike.

Officials said the woman was taken to Windham Hospital and Lifestar transported her to Bridgeport Hospital.

No additional information is available on her condition.

One firefighter was injured and has been released from the hospital, officials said.

Mutual aid responded from several towns because there are no hydrants in the area.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.


Photo Credit: Submitted

Evacuation Over at John Daniels School in New Haven


The John Daniels School in New Haven was evacuated this morning after a bomb threat was called in.

Police checked the building and students have been allowed back inside.


Lockdown Over at Woodstock Academy


Woodstock Academy and Pomfret Community School in Pomfret were locked down this morning after a bullet casing was found on a school bus.

As police were searching Pomfret Community School, a knife was found in a locker, school officials said. State police were notified and a student was removed from the school.

The bus company, M&J Bus, called both schools this morning to inform administrators that a bullet casing was found on a bus around 9 a.m., officials from the schools said.

Woodstock Academy sent out an alert saying they were alerted this morning that the ammunition “had been found on a sending town school bus that carried both WA and sending town students.”

The lockdown was issued as a precaution and the school said they did not believe there was any imminent danger. 

The investigation is complete and the school said no academy students were involved. The lockdown has been lifted.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

"Husky Weekend" to Honor UConn Basketball


The UConn men’s and women’s basketball teams are gearing up for their Final Four face-offs and Gov. Dannel Malloy has declared “Husky Weekend” in their honor.

The men’s team will face the Florida Gators on Saturday and the women will take on Stanford on Sunday.

“Husky Weekend” will kick off Friday, April 4 and last through Sunday, April 6, according to a release from Malloy’s office. It will be extended through Tuesday if either team makes it to the championship game.

“UConn again is the only school in the nation to have both our men’s and women’s basketball teams reach the NCAA Final Four, and for that we are incredibly proud,” Malloy said in a statement.

He’s asking Connecticut residents to wear blue and white this weekend in support of the teams.

“The success of our student athletes is a credit not only to their hard work, but also to the dedication of their coaches and the state’s unwavering support of its flagship university,” said UConn President Susan Herbst, in a statement.

Gampel Pavilion will open its doors to UConn students at 5 p.m. April 5 so students can watch the game. The women's game will be shown live at the Student Union Theater. Door will open at 8 p.m., according to UConn media relations.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Reporter Challenges NCAA Policy, Gets His Cat Mug Confiscated


A reporter covering the Elite Eight showdown on Sunday found that even his cute cat mug would not escape NCAA's strict branding rules.

Wall Street Journal reporter Jason Gay brought a mug featuring illustrations of cats in various poses to Sunday's game between Connecticut and Michigan State at Madison Square Garden in New York City, violating NCAA's ban on all unofficial cups at tournament games.

"I was not innocently wandering into the Garden with a cat mug," Gay wrote in an article documenting the absurd incident. "I felt the NCAA cup rule was pretty funny, and a bit ridiculous, so I wanted to wage a tiny protest against the NCAA by bringing my kitty cat beverage holder to the game.”

Gay knew the mug, although adorable, violated NCAA regulations and that his credentials to cover the tournament required him to obey those rules. Powerade is the exclusive and official beverage of the NCAA, and blue and black paper Powerade cups are the only ones permitted at facilities during the games.

Gay was upfront with his 31,000 Twitter followers about his plans to sneak the cat mug into MSG. He first tweeted a photo of the mug in front of a sign at MSG that read “Only NCAA Cups Allowed Beyond This Point.” Another shot showed the mug on a table next to the official NCAA paper cup.


With only a few minutes left to go in the UConn-Michigan State game, a staffer approached Gay at courtside and asked for the mug.

“I was asked if the Journal intended to cover the Final Four next weekend, and I said that, yes, I believed the Journal intended to cover the Final Four,” Gay wrote. “I still was hanging onto the idea that this whole thing was a joke. Then the cat mug was requested. As in, they wanted the cat mug.”

Gay considered putting up a fight "because this cat mug is a protest of what I see as the hypocrisy of big-time college athletics in this country, where an urge to reap every possible dollar has undermined a beautiful endeavor." He surrendered it instead.

The mug was returned after the game.

The NCAA, which makes billions of dollars from corporate deals and from using players' names and likenesses on merchandise, has come under fire for their refusal to pay college athletes.

A recent lawsuit by Northwestern University football players has challenged the NCAA's rules, and the National Labor Relations Board ruled last week that college athletes must be considered employees, in a decision that moves Northwestern players a step closer to organizing the nation's first college athletes' union.

The NCAA has not yet responded to a request for comment. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images/DeAgostini

Connecticut Water Bills Drop by 4 Percent


Connecticut Water customers will see a 4 percent reduction in their water bills starting today, according to a release from the company.

The reduction applies to residential, municipal, business and industrial customers and comes as a result of a proposal made last summer.

It’s expected to save customers a total of $12.4 million over the next two years as the company returns federal tax refunds to its customers in the form of fee reductions, the release says.

A residential customer who uses 15,000 gallons of water each quarter will see a decrease of about $5.97 in quarterly bills, according to the release.

The release says these new rates are expected to remain in effect until at least April 2016.

Additional changes that took effect April 1 are described online at www.ctwater.com, by clicking “Customers,” then “Bill Inserts and Fact Sheets” and are also enclosed in the water bill envelopes.

Vernon Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting Two Girls


A 45-year-old Rockville man is facing a total of 16 counts in connection with the sexual assaults of two girls, Vernon police said.

Daniel Wine was arrested for the first time March 5, accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl who was at his house. Police said Wine allegedly put his finger in her mouth and exposed himself while she was sleeping.

The incident occurred in 2012 and was reported to authorities in May of 2013.

Wine was arrested again April 2 in connection with a second incident.

Police said an underage girl came forward following the March 5 arrest and told police Wine had had sexual intercourse with her, touched her inappropriately and taken nude photographs of her over a period of several years while she was under the age of 12.

He was charged with risk of injury to a minor following the first arrest.

Wine faces the following charges in relation to Wednesday’s arrest:

Four counts of first-degree sex assault
Five counts of risk of injury to a minor
One count of fourth-degree sex assault
One count of conspiracy to commit fourth-degree sex assault
One count of conspiracy to commit first-degree sex assault
One count of criminal attempt at first-degree sex assault
One count of conspiracy to commit risk of injury to a minor
One count of criminal attempt at risk of injury to a minor
One count of employing a minor in an obscene performance

He’s held on a total of $235,000 bond and was presented in court today.

The investigations are ongoing.

Anyone with information about the incidents is asked to contact Vernon Police Det. John Divenere at 860-872-9126 ext. 216.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police Department

Was Ortiz Selfie With Obama Staged?


That selfie that Red Sox slugger David Ortiz took with President Barack Obama on Tuesday may have been part of a marketing stunt.

Now, Ortiz is taking some heat, NECN reports, after it emerged that Samsung coached him on how to snap his widely-tweeted White House photo.

Samsung acknowledged Wednesday that it had a relationship with Ortiz and the Red Sox and that it had helped him take his photo, and Sports Business Journal reported Monday that Ortiz just signed a new endorsement deal with the mobile provider.

"It was an honor to help him capture such an incredible and genuine moment of joy and excitement," Samsung said, comparing his selfie to the star-studded one that Ellen DeGeneres took at the Oscars.

The White House said Wednesday that Obama wasn't aware of the marketing stunt.

Ortiz snapped the photo with the president Tuesday as his team, last year's World Series champs, was being honored at the White House. Ortiz presented Obama with a personalized Red Sox jersey, which they're holding in the photo. 

Within moments, the photo was retweeted thousands of times.

Obama, a Chicago White Sox fan, told the team that several members of his administration are Red Sox fans and praised the team for its win and for bringing the city of Boston together in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings.

"Obviously, all the wins were sweet for Red Sox fans, but I think for the nation as a whole, there was something particular about this squad that was special and will go down in history," the president said.

He said the team represented the grit and resilience of one of America's iconic cities during one of its most difficult moments.

Photo Credit: @davidortiz

Waterbury Students Accused of Bringing Weapons to School


The Waterbury school system has dealt with a string of weapons-related incidents over the past couple weeks involving students as young as first graders, police said.

According to police, five students in first grade through high school have been involved in the incidents.

The most recent occurred on March 28, when a second-grader at Walsh Elementary School threatened two classmates with a box cutter, police said.

The previous day, on March 27, a seventh-grade student at West Side Middle School was arrested after being found with a knife.

A student at Crosby High School was also arrested March 27 after reportedly threatening another boy with a 3.5-inch long blade in a social worker’s office, and a first-grader at Bucks Hill Elementary School was suspended after pointing a toy gun at students on a bus, according to police.

The seventh-grader and high school student were each suspended for 10 days. The parents of the high school student were informed of a possible expulsion hearing, police said.

On March 21, a third-grader at Walsh Elementary was suspended for 10 days after bringing a knife to school, according to police. An expulsion hearing was scheduled.

Vacant Pfizer Buildings to Become Bioscience Business Incubator


An agreement has been reached for two vacant buildings on Pfizer’s Groton campus to become a bioscience innovation center and the state’s new IT data center, according to a statement from Gov. Dannel Malloy’s office.

Pfizer will donate Building 286 to Connecticut United for Research Excellence to develop a technology incubator that will serve as a hub for entrepreneurs, scientists and start-up and growing businesses.

During its February 28 meeting, the State Bond Commission approved a $4.2 million grant for CURE Innovations, LLC, a subsidiary of CURE, to fund renovations and initial costs associated with CURE Innovation Commons.

Pfizer will also lease Building 230 to the State of Connecticut for the state’s new data center, which will be rented for $1 per year.

“This agreement is great news for Groton and the surrounding region, and the culmination of months of negotiations between Pfizer, CURE and (Department of Administrative Services) that, in the end, will provide an economic boost in southeastern Connecticut,” Malloy said in a statement. 

CURE Innovation Commons will be around 24,000 square feet and house up to seven laboratories, several offices, conference rooms and meeting space. 

It could accommodate six to nine separate companies and there will be some space to accommodate startup projects.

State officials said they have been looking for a data center for some time, and this facility will be above hurricane level surge and have all the necessary safety measures needed.

Renovations are expected to be completed by Sept. 1 and the facility will be fully operational by July 1, 2015.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live