Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Man Jumps From Second Story to Escape Fire


A Southington man was injured after leaping from the second story of his condo while flames ripped through the complex.

Fire crews responded to the Summer Ridge Condominiums at 250 Summer Street in Southington just after 2 a.m. When they arrived, heavy flames were tearing through the building.

All the residents made it out safely, fire officials said.

The resident who jumped to escape the flames has been taken to the Bridgeport Hospital Burn Unit with burns over 30 percent of his body, according to family members at the scene. Fire Captain Alan Zygmunt said his injuries are minor.

"The occupant of the original apartment unit, No. 28, woke up and started coming downstairs. [He] discovered the fire, went back upstairs and then he actually leapt from the second-floor window on to the rear deck," said Zygmunt.

The resident was taken to the hospital for treatment of his burns and injuries sustained during the fall, fire officials said.

Firefighters said the flames broke out in unit 28 and spread to three other condos. No other residents and no first responders were injured.

Six people won't be able to come back to their condos today due to the damage, fire officials said. Four units are badly burned.

The Cheshire and Plainville fire departments provided mutual aid.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

4 Dead, 24 Injured in Chicago


At least 28 people have been shot in Chicago, four of them fatally, since Friday afternoon, police said.

The weekend’s latest homicide took place around 11:35 a.m. Sunday when police said a man was shot in the back in the 9200 block of South Emerald Avenue. The man, whose age was not immediately known, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, police said.

Area South detectives are investigating the shooting, but further details were not immediately available, police said.

About 15 minutes earlier, two men were shot in the 7300 block of South Oglesby Avenue. An 18-year-old man suffered a wound to the leg and was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition. A 28-year-old man was shot in the back and transported to South Shore Hospital in serious condition, officials said.

Around 7:15 a.m. Sunday, a man was shot in the 900 block of East 81st Street. Police said a 29-year-old man suffered a fatal gunshot wound to head and was pronounced dead at the scene.

About three hours earlier, a 23-year-old man was fatally shot in the 400 block of North Leclaire Avenue, police said.

The man was arguing with another man on the sidewalk when the man produced a gun and fired at the victim, striking him multiple times in the abdomen and arm.

He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where he was later pronounced, police said.

Around the same time, four people were shot in the city’s River North neighborhood. The victims were on the street in the 500 block of West Erie when people in a dark-colored sedan drove by flashing gang signs and opened fire, police said.

A 20-year-old man suffered a fatal wound to the head and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to authorities.

A 21-year-old man was shot in the left torso and left arm, a 20-year-old man was shot in the right foot, and a 19-year-old man was shot in the left shoulder. All three were taken to area hospitals in stable condition.

Also Sunday, a 25-year-old man was shot in the 3900 block of West Ohio Street.

The man told police he was standing on the sidewalk just before 2 a.m. when he heard shots and felt pain.

He suffered wounds to his right hand and buttocks and was transported to an area hospital in stable condition.

Earlier, a 17-year-old man was walking on the sidewalk near 87th Street and Greenwood Avenue when he heard shots and felt pain.

The teen was shot in the chest and abdomen and taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.

At least 11 people were shot Saturday afternoon and evening.

  • Three men were shot around 9:25 p.m. in the 7900 block of South Merrill Avenue. The trio told police they were walking along Merrill when two men dressed in dark clothing approached them and opened fire. A 17-year-old man was shot in the left foot and was taken to South Shore Hospital in stable condition. Another 17-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the head and a 21-year-old man was shot in the right arm. Both were taken to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County where the teen was in stable condition and the 21-year-old man was treated and released.
  • About an hour earlier a 17-year-old man was shot in the buttocks while walking in the 5200 block of South Ashland Avenue in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, police said. The teen was taken to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.
  • Just before 7 p.m., a 23-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 8700 block of South Escanaba Avenue. The man was standing on the block when someone fired shots from an SUV, striking the victim, police said. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition.
  • Around 3:40 p.m., a 38-year-old man was shot in the face in the 72—block of South Vincennes Avenue, police said. The man was a passenger in the front seat of a vehicle driving northbound on Vincennes when a bullet pierced through the windshield and struck him, according to authorities. The man was driven to the 6900 block of South Harvard for safety where he was then transported by ambulance to Advocate Christ Medical Center in good condition.
  • Just after 2 p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot while standing on a sidewalk in the 8200 block of South Kedzie Avenue. The man told police he was approached by an armed offender who fired several shots him, striking his right leg. The victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition. Police said the shooting may have been gang-related.
  • Twenty minutes earlier, a 16-year-old boy was shot in the left arm and both legs by unknown man in the 2200 block of South Christiana Avenue. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, police said.
  • Around 12:40 p.m., two men were shot in the 2000 block of West 79th Street. The two men were standing in an alley when three offenders approached on foot and opened fire. A 31-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was listed in critical condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center. A 25-year-old man was shot several times in the arm and leg and was listed in serious condition at the same hospital.
  • Around 11 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in an apparent drive-by shooting in the 5500 block of South Hoyne Avenue. The man was standing on the sidewalk when someone drove by in a dark-colored car and fired at him. The man was not cooperating with investigators following the shooting and was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition.

At least six others have been shot since Friday afternoon.

Plane Crash Cancels Calif. Air Show


A Stearman biplane crashed during the Thunder Over Solano Air Show at the Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, California, Sunday afternoon, killing the 77-year-old pilot, the FAA said.

Local emergency responders were at the scene of the crash. The thousands of people attending the show were told to leave.

The official Facebook page of Travis Air Force Base posted a message around 2:40 p.m. which said the air show had been canceled due to the crash:

"The Travis Air Expo has been canceled due to the aircraft crash of an aerial performer. Guests of the base should comply with Security Forces instruction to exit the installation. Security Forces requests for individuals to provide photo and video footage of the crash to assist in the investigation. Call 424-2000 for more information about photo and video collection."

The pilot, well-known in the local flying community, was identified as 77-year-old Eddie Andreini of Half Moon Bay. NBC Bay Area has learned he was performing an "acrobatic aerial maneuver" around 2 p.m. when he crashed, according to Col. David Mott of Travis Air Force Base.

Andreini was a decorated and experienced pilot and was inducted into the International Council of Air Shows Hall of Fame just last year. According to Andreini's web site, he had been flying since he was 16 years old and had been an air show stunt pilot for 25 years.

"It’s a really tragic way to end the show," said Ashleigh Carter, a family friend of Andreini. "He was doing great up until that point, and I know he’s been doing it for years. It’s a big shock.”

Andreini was in the middle of what is called cutting the ribbon, something he had done many times before. But something terrible happened in Sunday's low-flying acrobatic maneuver.

“I saw the performer perform an inverted, and he was flying approximately 40-50 feet from the runway," witness Brian Stokes said. "And then, his plane kind of stair-stepped, then impacted the runway in an inverted formation, upside down.”

“Several minutes had passed before the flames happened and then started in the rear section forward," another family friend Matthew Carter said. "And that was that.”

Eyewitness pictures and video on Twitter and Instagram caught the smoky aftermath of the fatal plane crash, showing thick black smoke and fire engines rushing to the scene. It was an abrupt end to the popular air show, a two-day event that hasn't been held for three years.

Berkeley resident Urso Chappell tweeted out a picture from the parking lot.

"This is not what you want to see at an air show. A bi-plane crashed here at Travis Air Force Base." Chappell tweeted.

Chappell told NBC Bay Area that "he did not see the accident happen, just the horrible aftermath."

"I had already left the air show and was in the parking lot. I just saw fire trucks heading toward the tarmac," he said.

A KCRA 3 employee who was at the air show said the biplane flew into the ground while flying upside down, the station reported.

No spectators were injured, and the NTSB is now investigating the cause of the crash.

Some wondered how much of a role the gusty winds played.

“If we look at yesterday, winds were much greater, stronger," Mott said. "Gusts coming down the runway. What I can tell you is winds were approximately 10-15 knots [15-20 miles per hour].” 

Wind in the area has been known to pick up in the afternoon.

The Stearman biplane is a World War II-era aircraft built in 1944.


Photo Credit: Via Twitter @UrsoChappell. Urso Chappell

Off-Duty NYPD Cop Arrested for Firing Gun: Police


An off-duty NYPD officer was arrested after allegedly shooting several rounds from a handgun into the air in New Rochelle early Saturday, the fourth time in the past two weeks that an off-duty NYPD officer has been arrested for crimes that involved firing their guns.

Jamarie Flowers, 25, was charged with reckless endangerment after allegedly shooting his gun following an argument with several people outside his home at 33 Lincoln Ave., New Rochelle police said.

Police said Flowers did not appear to be aiming the shots at anyone in particular.

The NYPD said Sunday that Flowers has been suspended.

It's the fourth time in recent weeks that an NYPD officer has been accused of firing guns. Last week an officer was arrested in New Jersey for allegedly firing her gun during an altercation with another woman. Also last week, an officer was arrested for randomly opening fire at a passing car in Pelham, shooting a passenger six times. And the week before, an NYPD detective was arrested on a drunk driving charge when he allegedly shot his partner in the wrist accidentally.

Attorney information for Flowers was not immediately available.

6 Hurt After Philly Flight Hits Severe Turbulence


An Orlando-bound US Airways jet hit severe turbulence climbing into the skies over the Philadelphia region on Sunday, injuring six people and forcing the pilot to abort the flight.

US Airways Flight 735, filled with 265 passengers and 10 crew, took off from Philadelphia International Airport around 4 p.m. on Sunday and had reached 17,000 feet when it hit the volatile air, airline spokesman Bill McGlashen told NBC10.com.

"It felt like we hit a speed bump in mid-air," said passenger Paul LaBruna. "Everyone around me was buckled and I could still see them get about 2 to 3 feet up in their seats while buckled."

The 28-year-old South Philadelphian, who was traveling to Orlando to take part in his sister's wedding at Walt Disney World, said one woman came fully out of her seat and slammed into the bulkhead above.

"A lady sitting a few rows from me near the window went so high her head cracked the plastic ceiling," LaBruna said. Further up he said a flight attendant standing in the aisle flew into the air -- hitting her head and feet on the ceiling.

"A minute or two after, the pilot came over [the PA system] and asked if there was a doctor on board. Eventually he just turned around," LaBruna said.

The pilot decided to abort the trip and return to Philadelphia International Airport where the plane landed normally, according to McGlashen, the airline spokesman.

In all, six people were hurt when the Airbus A330 was tossed violently -- four passengers and two flight attendants, the spokesman said. The fasten seat belt sign was illuminated at the time.

Three of the injured passengers and the two flight attendants were taken to local hospitals for treatment, according to McGlashen. He said the flight attendants had since been released.

LaBruna said he worked for Southwest Airlines in the past and has flown many times, but had never experienced such violent turbulence.

"It was pretty scary," he said.

Other passengers on the flight tweeted about the incident: 

McGlashen said most of the flight's passengers decided to continue on their trip to Orlando. The new flight took off from Philadelphia around 9 p.m. on Sunday and arrived in Florida at 11:15 p.m. without incident.

Photo Credit: Paul LaBruna

Major Road Construction Begins on I-95 in New Haven


A $129 million Department of Transportation project began on Interstate 95 in the New Haven area today and the work will continue for four years.

This project will extend from the Howard Avenue overpass at the east end to the I-95 bridge over Metro-North at the west end.

DOT crews will realign the I-95 travel lanes in New Haven and West Haven. Work will include narrowing the lanes, as well as major lane switches on the north and south sides of the highway for the entire length of the project.

First, DOT crews will install advance warning signs; then restripe traffic lanes, reducing lanes from 12 feet to 11 feet; and install precast concrete barriers on each side of the median.

Eventually, exit 45 will be reconfigured and exit 44 will be removed.

Officials from DOT said all of this work will happen overnight to minimize any disruption to the morning and evening commutes.

The project is scheduled to be completed by Nov. 30, 2018.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Arrest Made in 2012 Hartford Homicide


Hartford police have arrested a suspect in a 2012 brutal homicide.

On Sept. 27, 2012, Hartford police found Sonia Rivera, a 48-year-old mother, on the ground behind 216 Washington Street after receiving a report that a woman was bleeding.

Police said she was partially naked, bleeding severely and had suffered head trauma.

Investigators found a brick nearby and suspected she had been hit with it,

Rivera was taken to Hartford Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on September 29. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled her death a homicide caused by blunt force trauma to the head.

Rivera’s kidneys, liver, lungs, small intestine and pancreas were donated to benefit four people. Her family said.

Police located DNA evidence at the scene and consulted with Dr. Henry Lee, the Forensic Science Department, Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Science, University of New Haven and the State Forensic Lab.

Detectives identified Denzil Nurse, 43, as a suspect.

He was wanted on unrelated burglary charges and arrested in connection with burglaries in May 2013, according to police and bond was set at $75,000. Nurse is still serving time in the Osborne Correctional Institution, police said.

Over the months to follow, detectives continued to work with the forensic labs.

On May 2, Hartford Police Major Crimes Homicide Detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Nurse, charging him with the murder of Rivera.

Bond was set at $2 million.

Police said Nurse is a convicted felon with 29 previous arrested in Hartford.

Nurse will be served with the Murder warrant on his next court appearance.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police

55-Year-Old Man Killed in Groton Train Crash


A person has died after being struck by an Acela train in Groton, according to officials from the fire department and Amtrak.

Amtrak released a statement saying a trespasser was struck around 9 a.m. in Groton, near Mystic, and was killed by the oncoming train.

Police said the victim was walking northbound along the tracks just north of the School Street crossing when he was struck. He has been identified as a 55-year-old man, but his name is being withheld while authorities work to notify family members.

Police said he was struck by the train and thrown into the Mystic River. The victim was pulled from the water and taken to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Amtrak 2190 train that struck him was traveling from New York to Boston and carrying 207 passengers.

A relief crew headed to the scene and the train was delayed by an hour and 21 minutes.

The 171, 190 and 2150 trains were also delayed.

The investigation is ongoing.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

1st U.S. MERS Patient Improves


A patient battling the first confirmed U.S. case of a deadly new respiratory illness was said to be improving rapidly, and initial testing has revealed no additional infections, officials said Monday.

"He has been improving every day," said Dr. Alan Kumar, the chief medical information officer for Community Hospital in Munster, Indiana. "He no longer has any oxygen requirements. He's in good spirits. He's eating well, and we have begun the discharge planning process at this point. We expect him to be going home soon."

The hospital and state confirmed Friday that the patient, who lives in Saudi Arabia and came to the United States on a planned trip to visit family, was the first confirmed case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus in the United States.

The first tests on those who came in close contact with the patient, including his family members and about 50 hospital employees, have yielded no new cases. Indiana Health Commissioner William VanNess attributed that fact to the swift response by hospital staff and the cooperation of local, state and federal authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"At this point, it appears that MERS picked the wrong hospital, the wrong state and the wrong country to try to get a foothold," VanNess said at a Monday morning press briefing.

Still, the hospital staffers who had direct contact with the patient have been ordered to stay home for two weeks. Health officials said the incubation period -- the time from exposure to exhibited symptoms -- has been as few as two days and as many as 14 days. Most cases are confirmed within five days.

The patient checked himself into Community Hospital on April 28 after feeling ill. Dr. Daniel Feikin, an epidemiologist with the CDC, said the patient works in a hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Ariabia. He flew from Riyadh through London to Chicago on April 24 before boarding a bus to Indiana.

The man's symptoms appeared after he was in the United States, Feikin said.

"Although we didn't know where it would happen, we're not surprised that MERS-CoV has come to the United States," said Feikin. "We know that infectious diseases do not respect international boundaries. In this day and age of global travel and trade, infectious diseases can spread almost anywhere."

Feikin said CDC officials were using the flight manifest to contact about 100 other passengers who were on the plane with the patient. About 75 of them had been reached by Monday morning and none were exhibiting symptoms, he said. Additionally, none of the "about 10" people who were on the bus were symptomic.

MERS belongs to the coronavirus family that includes the common cold and SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which caused some 800 deaths globally in 2003. Saudi Arabia has been at the center of a Middle East outbreak of MERS that began two years ago. The virus has spread among health care workers, most notably at four facilities in that county last spring.

Officials said Monday the patient did not recall working directly with a MERS patient in Riyadh but said the hospital where he worked did have some MERS cases.

Overall, at least 400 people have had the respiratory illness, and more than 100 people have died. All had ties to the Middle East region or to people who traveled there.

Officials said the disease isn't highly contagious, but there is no cure.

The MERS virus has been found in camels, but officials don't know how it is spreading to humans. It can spread from person to person, but officials believe that happens only after close contact. Not all those exposed to the virus become ill.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: AP

Teen Shot in New Haven


New Haven Police are investigating the shooting of a 17-year-old on Sunday night. The teen was shot in the lower back and is in critical condition, according to a news release from police.

New Haven police responded to Read and Goodyear streets at 9:44 p.m. after receiving a 911 call reporting that someone had been shot.

An ambulance took the victim to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he went through surgery.

As of 1 a.m., he was listed in critical but stable condition, police said.

Witnesses told detectives the victim had been riding his bicycle with a group of friends on Goodyear Street when they crossed paths with several men who were walking from the opposite direction.

The two groups had words and one of the men who had been walking pulled out a gun and fired at the group on bicycles, police said.

Detectives are investigating several leads and want to speak with anyone who has knowledge of the crime.

Police do not have any description of the shooter.

Several teens have been shot in New Haven in recent weeks and city officials have taken steps to try and stop the violence.

Several schools stayed open during April vacation and to give students somewhere safe to be. 

The New Haven Police Department has an anonymous toll-free TIPS Hotline, 1-866-888-TIPS.

Danbury Police Investigating Homicide


Danbury police are investigating a homicide early Saturday morning.

Police responded to a large fight at Elm and Main streets around 2 a.m.,

Soon after, officers called in to report that shots were fired in the area of 301 Main St. At the scene, police found a man by the parking lot of that address, on White Street.

The victim was taken to Danbury Hospital, where he later died.

Police said they have tentatively identified the man and reaching out to family. 

Danbury police ask anyone who heard or saw anything relating to this shooting should call 203-797-4662.

All calls will be kept confidential.

Man Charged in Police Pursuit, Crash in East Hampton


State police have charged a 50-year-old East Haddam man accused of causing a crash after a police pursuit on Route 16 in East Hampton on Jan. 9.

Police received several 911 calls about an Eagle Talon driving recklessly between Portland and East Hampton for more than an hour that day and began pursuing the vehicle.

Authorities said the driver, James Millett, hit an animal control officer's vehicle and two other cars before his car slammed into a guardrail around 3 p.m., according to the East Hampton police chief.

Two Lifestar helicopters were called to fly Millett and his female passenger, Theresa Goss, of East Haddam, to the hospital to be treated for serious injuries. Both were inside the vehicle that crashed.

Millett was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, operation of a motor vehicle without a permit or a license, evading responsibility, operation of a motor vehicle when a license is suspended and disobeying the signal of an officer, as well as additional charges. 

The car had out-of-state plates, according to police.

He was also charged with improper use of marking, license or registration.

The road was shut down between Flat Brook Road and Route 149 in East Hampton, near the Colchester line.


View Larger Map

--- Article Removed ---

*** RSSing Note: Article removed by member request. ***

False Report of Shots Fired Near Vernon School


Police responded to a Vernon elementary school Monday afternoon to investigate what turned out to be a false report of shots fired in Manchester less than a mile down the road, according to police and the school superintendent.

Lake Street School at 201 Lake Street in Vernon is being dismissed as schedule but police arrived at the school as a precaution after receiving the report of shots fired just over the town line, the superintendent said.

Manchester police said they received the 911 call just after 2 p.m. Monday. The caller said he heard 10 shots fired inside a home on Deer Run Trail and someone screaming, according to police.

Officers arrived to find the resident home alone and determined the report had been a hoax, a tactic known as "swatting," when people falsely report an incident to bring first responders to a non-existent scene.

Police said there was neverany danger to the public. Authorities responded to Deer Run Trail and could not find evidence of a shooting or a suspect. No one was injured and police are investigating the false report.

There was never a threat to students and police stayed at the elementary school to help with the dismissal process.

Bridgeport Man Stabbed During Family Dispute


Police are investigating after a 33-year-old man was stabbed during a family dispute in Bridgeport Sunday night.

Authorities responded to 17 Florence Street just after 8 p.m. Sunday and arrived on scene to find the victim and other family members involved in the fight, police said.

According to police, the victim was stabbed by someone he knew and that pepper spray was used during the dispute.

The victim’s injuries are not life threatening. Police said the suspect left the scene before officers arrived.

Authorities are investigating.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Traffic Getting By After Crash on Route 8 in Bridgeport


Traffic is congested on Route 8 in Bridgeport following a crash, according to state police.

One lane is open in both directions in the area of exit 5, police said.

There's no word on how many cars were involved or whether anyone has been injured.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Bridgeport Resident Punches Strangers on Street: Police


A Bridgeport man is facing assault charges after allegedly punching a man and woman on the street early Sunday morning, police said.

The two victims, both 22 years old, told police that a man was yelling derogatory comments at them from a van near East Main and Jane streets. It happened around 2 a.m. Sunday, according to police.

The driver, identified as 26-year-old Robert Gonzalez, reportedly got out of the van when the woman asked why he was yelling and punched the male victim, police said.

The woman tried to intervene, at which point Gonzalez allegedly told her his “fists [were] bisexual” and punched her too, according to police.

Gonzalez was charged with two counts of third-degree assault. He’s being held on a $5,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

Oldest Man on Earth Lives in NYC


A 111-year-old New Yorker on the Upper West Side has been certified as the oldest man in the world.

Alexander Imich attained the rank when Arturo Licata of Italy died April 24 at age 111, just a week shy of his 112th birthday, according to Gerontology Research Group of Torrance, Calif.

Imich shrugged off the title in an interview with NBC 4 New York Monday when asked for his secret to living long.

"I don't know, I simply didn't die earlier," he quipped. "I have no idea how this happened."

Imich was born Feb. 4, 1903 -- more than a year before the New York City subway system opened, and the same year the Yankees played their first season in New York.

It was just five years after the five boroughs consolidated to form New York City. The Brooklyn Bridge was just 20 years old. The annual dropping of the Times Square ball wouldn't begin for another four years.

Imich was born in Poland, and fled the country with his wife after the Nazis invaded in 1939. They eventually came to the U.S. in the 1950s. She died in 1986.

He attributes some of his health to a clean diet -- chicken, fish, no alcohol -- and participating in gymnastics and swimming in his younger days.

He may be the world's oldest man, but he isn't the oldest person -- 66 women outrank him, according to Gerontology Research.

A 116-year-old Japanese woman, Misao Okawa, is recognized as the world's oldest living person.


Stratford Woman Charged in Bridgeport Stabbing


A 27-year-old Stratford woman has been arrested after reportedly assaulting two people with a knife.

Police responded to 455 Trumbull Avenue in Bridgeport around 2:30 p.m. Saturday and found a woman with a stab wound to the shoulder. She knew the suspect, and was able to describe her to officers, police said.

Investigators on scene learned that the suspect, Shayla Holland, 27, of Bridgeport, was at a business on Reservoir Avenue, police said.

Police found her there, recovered a knife and located a second victim, who had tracked down Holland to find out why she had stabbed the first victim. The second victim suffered a minor knife injury, police said.

Holland faces two counts of second-degree assault. The motive remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

Man, 73, Feared Stuck in Grain Bin


Emergency crews pulled a body from a grain bin on an Illinois farm Monday afternoon following a frantic rescue effort.

Around 1 p.m., authorities frantically began emptying the grain bin at Madey Farms in Genoa after reports that a 73-year-old man may be stuck inside.

But several hours later, crews removed a body from the grain bin and placed it in a waiting ambulance. The ambulance did not leave the scene and a report on the individual's condition was not made available.

DeKalb County Police said a family member found the man's truck next to the full, 10,000- to 12,000-bushel bin but couldn't locate him.

He had been working on the bin because it was reportedly clogged, police said.

The 73-year-old man reportedly worked on the Genoa-Kingston Fire Department for several years.

Photo Credit: NBCChicago.com
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Latest Images