Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Crews Responded for Report of Possible Rough Landing at Brainard


Crews from the Hartford Fire Department responded to Brainard Airport in Hartford for what was expected to be a “rough landing,” but the plane landed with no issues.

An issue with a rough-running engine prompted the emergency response. No injuries are reported.

Now maintenance crews are checking the twin engine Navajo.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

9/11 Victim Remains to Return to Ground Zero


Thousands of pieces of unidentified human remains from 9/11 victims will be moved from the medical examiner's office to a repository at ground zero this weekend, according to a letter sent to families.
The repository at ground zero is in the same building as the 9/11 museum that opens to families on May 15 and to the public on May 21.
The 7,930 unidentified remains will get an escort of NYPD, FDNY and Port Authority Police vehicles when they are taken to the site Saturday morning, according to a group of victims' relatives. 
The group, Voices of September 11th, said Tuesday that there would be a "solemn, respectful" procession from the medical examiner's office on the East Side of Manhattan, but no ceremony is planned.
The remains are not under the museum's jurisdiction and will still be considered under the care of the medical examiner. Families will be able to visit the remains through a private room at the repository on May 15, according to the letter from the city to families.
Forty-one percent of the 2,753 people killed in the World Trade Center attack, or 1,115 victims, have had some remains identified.
Some relatives told The New York Times they are relieved the remains are being returned to hallowed ground.
"That is where they died, that is where there is a proper memorial for them, and to me it is a good, safe and holy place," said Eileen Fagan, 66, of Toms River, N.J., who lost her sister, Patricia.
Monika Iken, 44, told the Times she would be at the site Saturday when the procession arrives.
No remains have been recovered of her husband, Michael.
"I have been waiting for this day for almost 13 years," she said. "He needs to have me there as well. It has been a long time, and I am very happy."
A number of victims' relatives said they were unhappy with the timing of the letter, which came from Lilliam Barrios-Paoli, deputy mayor for health and human services. 
Sally Regenhard, whose son died in the attack, said the moving of the remains was announced at "the last minute" and painfully close to Mother's Day. She is part of a group of relatives who have been seeking to stop the remains from being moved, since the plan was announced years ago.


Photo Credit: AP

Former NFL Star Deion Sanders to Visit Hartford's Capital Prep


An National Football League (NFL)  Hall of Famer will make an appearance at Capital Prep Magnet School in Hartford on Tuesday evening.

Deion Sanders plans to talk at a press conference about the NFL draft and the necessity of scholarship fundraising for students at the school.

Sanders has played for the Atlanta Falcons, San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins and Baltimore Ravens, according to his personal website. The 49ers and Cowboys won the Super Bowl during his career with both teams.

Before he joined the NFL, he was a Major League Baseball player. The Kansas City Royals drafted him in 1985, but he didn't end up signing with the team. He signed with the New York Yankees in 1988 and later played with the Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds

In 1989, when his NFL and Major League careers overlapped, he became the only athlete in professional sports history to hit a home run and score a touchdown in the same week, according to his website. Sanders also holds a record as the only male athlete to participate in the Super Bowl and World Series, his website states.

Aside from his athletic prowess, Sanders is known for co-founding the Prime Prep Academy in Texas, where he also coaches football. A father of five, Sanders decided to visit Capital Prep because he "loves" what Capital Prep Principal Dr. Steve Perry is accomplishing there and wants to "help children fulfill their dreams of becoming college graduates," according to a news release.

Sanders also stars in "Deion's Family Playbook," which features his work at Prime Prep, on Oprah's OWN TV.

New Jersey Woman Films Own Abortion


A counselor at a New Jersey women's clinic says she filmed her own abortion to show that the procedure is "safe" and to help support other women through the process.

Emily Letts, a 25-year-old former professional actress, had been working at the Cherry Hill Women's Center for about a year when she learned in November that she was pregnant. In a column for Cosmopolitan posted this week, Letts writes that it was her first pregnancy -- an unplanned one -- and she had no long-term partner.

"I knew I wasn't ready to take care of a child," Letts wrote. 

Letts said she decided to have an abortion at her own clinic. It was early in the pregnancy, about two to three weeks, she said. Having searched online herself and been unable to find a video of what the procedure actually looks like, she decided to film it -- in part to educate other women who feared it.

"A first trimester abortion takes three to five minutes. It is safer than giving birth. There is no cutting, and risk of infertility is less than 1 percent," Letts wrote. "Yet women come into the clinic all the time terrified that they are going to be cut open, convinced that they won’t be able to have kids after the abortion. The misinformation is amazing."

The anti-abortion group New Jersey Right to Life said Tuesday "it's truly sad that an aspiring actress would use this venue" to achieve notoriety.

"Ending a pregnancy through the violence of abortion is not compassionate and is never safe for the defenseless baby who is torn to bits in his or her mother's womb," said executive director Marie Tasy.

Letts said she opted for a surgical abortion with local anesthesia and no IV sedation because she wanted to experience the type of procedure women considering abortions most feared and to be able to better relate to the women who visited the Cherry Hill clinic seeking her help and advice.

The video, which she posted on Facebook, is not graphic and shows Letts humming throughout the quick procedure. She says she received some hateful feedback, but also some that was positive. 

She says she hoped to inspire other women to not feel guilty about making the decision to have an abortion. 

"Our society breeds this guilt. We inhale it from all directions. Even women who come to the clinic completely solid in their decision to have an abortion say they feel guilty for not feeling guilty," Letts wrote. "I didn't feel bad ... and I am grateful that I can share my story and inspire other women to stop the guilt."


Hartford Students to Welcome Nick Cannon as Principal for a Day


Nick Cannon is principal of the Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts.

On a normal day, that statement would seem like a joke. But on Wednesday, that will be nothing but the truth.

Students at the Capitol Region Education Council (CREC) school won a Hot 93.7 contest to have Cannon be their principal for a day after rallying the most votes.

“This is a unique experience, where a celebrated artist will meet aspiring young artists,” Jeffrey Ostroff, the academy's actual principal, said in a news release. “We are honored and proud to have him at our school to meet our amazing students.”

Cannon, host of NBC's "America's Got Talent," is an actor, comedian and musician also well known for his previous role as chairman of TeenNick and star of Nickelodeon's "All That" and "The Nick Cannon Show."

What will Cannon do as principal? His itinerary includes student shoutouts, playing music and taking photos with students. But he'll also take a break from the spotlight to watch a special performance the students have prepared for him. He'll appear at both the Colt Campus on Huyshope Avenue and the Learning Corridor Campus on Washington Street.

The event is not open to the public. Check back with NBC Connecticut on Wednesday to see video of Cannon's visit.

Photo Credit: FilmMagic

Route 22 Reopens After Crash in North Branford


Route 22 has reopened in North Branford following a crash Tuesday afternoon.

The road was closed for several hours between Augur Road and Mill Road, according to police

An alert from the state Department of Transportation said the crash involves a vehicle and a dump truck.

No information was available on injuries.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Sentenced to 125 Years in New Haven Double Murder


A man who was found guilty in a 2000 double murder case in New Haven has been sentenced to 125 years in prison.

Craig "Mousy" Hines, 35, was arrested on April 6, 2011 and found guilty on Feb. 25, 2014 for killing Lakeia Vaughn, a 21-year-old mother of one, and Lamont Brockenberry, 26, on June 1, 2000, outside a Winthrop Avenue apartment. He was sentenced on Tuesday,

Officials said Hines, a gang member, was in a dispute with a member of a rival gang and fired shots from a car.

Vaughn and Brockenberry were not the intended targets.

Vaughn's mother, Phyllis McNeil Vaughn, said she had known Hines since he was in grammar school and that he attended Lakeia's birthday parties and had walked with Lakeia to school.

The victims’ families attended a news conference about the arrests in 2011.

This arrest was part of an initiative between the New Haven Police Department and the FBI to re-investigate 101 cold case drug and gang-related killings in New Haven neighborhoods.

Officer Mike Mastropetre, who is a member of the task force, reviewed the case file and reached out to an informant who provided crucial information that led to the arrest, the Independent reports.

Then-police Chief Frank Limon said this initiative is about bringing closure to the families affected.

Part of the plan for New Haven Police and the FBI is to re-interview people and witnesses who came forward with information when the homicides occurred.

Himes was in federal custody in Indiana on unrelated gun charges at the time of his arrest.

He has a violent criminal history, including drug trafficking in support of gang-related activity, police said.

Photo Credit: New Haven Police

Police Arrest Teens Suspected of Eight Car Burglaries


Police arrested two teenagers Tuesday suspected of stealing a car and burglarizing at least eight vehicles in a West Hartford neighborhood.

Officers discovered the series of car break-ins on Walkley, Farnham and Dorset roads while they were patrolling the area, according to an incident report.

After finding a pile of glass on one of the Farnham Road driveways, police determined that a gray 2013 Nissan Sentra was stolen from the address. The car keys had been left in a purse on the front seat, the owner told police.

The suspects broke windows on four of the cars to get inside.

The two teens face charges of second-degree larceny, criminal mischief and possession of an imitation gun. Police found the car on Garden Street in Hartford. They recovered some stolen items inside and found a non-operative weapon.  

Police have not released the names of the two teens arrested because they are under 17.

Police Search for Watertown Kmart Thieves


Police are searching for the men who stole from a Kmart store in Watertown late last month.

According to police, the suspects targeted the store on Straits Turnpike on April 29. One of the thieves brought a pair of scissors and used them to cut video came controllers from their security packs.

Police said both men took the controllers from the store.

Security footage shows the perpetrators to be two white men, one with a shaved head and the other wearing a dark-colored baseball cap.

The suspect with the shaved head is wearing a red sweatshirt with the word “Reebok” written across the front in white letters, dark sweatpants and sneakers.

Surveillance video shows the second suspect wearing a gray sweatshirt with an eagle on the front and dark-colored pants.

Anyone with information on the incident is urged to call Watertown police at 860-945-5216.

Photo Credit: Watertown Police Department

Clippers President Taking Leave


Los Angeles Clippers President Andy Roeser will take an indefinite leave of absence, the NBA confirmed Tuesday, days after a scandal exploded over team owner Donald Sterling's recorded racist comments.

The recordings prompted the NBA to ban Sterling for life and try to force him to sell the team he's owned for more than three decades.

"This will provide an opportunity for a new CEO to begin on a clean slate and for the team to stabilize under difficult circumstances," said Mike Bass, executive vice president of NBA communications.

The league said May 3 that it planned to appoint a chief executive officer to supervise the Los Angeles Clippers' operations after Sterling's life ban.

Roeser's leave of absence is effective immediately, the league said. He is not the first figure embroiled in the scandal to step down since it broke.

Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP, resigned May 1, days after the civil rights group withdrew a lifetime achievement award it had been slated to present to Sterling.

"In order to separate the Los Angeles NAACP and the NAACP from the negative exposure I have caused the NAACP, I respectfully resign my position as President of the Los Angeles NAACP," Jenkins said.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver banned Sterling for life and fined him $2.5 million April 29 for making racist comments. Sterling, the NBA's longest-tenured owner, can have no association with the league or the team.


Bar Cars Being Phased Out of Metro-North New Haven Line


After Friday, sitting in a bar car will no longer be an option for those riding Metro-North’s New Haven line.

The rail company says the four bar cars that have been operating for decades are being phased out like other old rail cars.

“Right now, we'll soon be without bar car service, but that doesn't mean a permanent end,” said Gov. Dannel Malloy.

According to Malloy, the state is negotiating with the company that makes the new M8 rail cars for Connecticut to see how much it would cost to either make new bar cars for the M8 trains or retrofit some of the existing M8 cars with bars. Right now, the older bar cars don't match up with the new M8 cars.

“I'm going to do them whatever way is the cheapest, so it's still an open question. I will honestly tell you the price is coming down, as we have expressed a willingness to have someone else do the retrofitting,” said Malloy.

There’s no time table for when those negotiations will be complete and when passengers could see new bar cars on the New Haven line.

Some passengers aren’t concerned, however. They say they don't normally take advantage of the bar cars anyway.

“When I'm on the train, I just put my music in and relax. I don't really drink a lot,” said Donell Shaw.

For those who do like the bar car options, they can still have alcoholic beverages on board the trains, but they'll have to purchase them elsewhere.

DOT Hits Milestone in Metro-North Power Line Project


The state Department of Transportation has completed nearly 80 percent of a years-long project to replace overhead power lines on the Metro-North New Haven Line, Gov. Dannel Malloy and DOT Commissioner James Redeker announced Tuesday.

Work on the power line project began in 2007 and should be completely finished by the spring of 2017, according to a release from Malloy’s office.

The milestone announced today will allow Metro-North to run trains on all four tracks between Southport and Bridgeport during peak travel times for the first time since 2010, the release says.

Malloy said the project will result in more reliable train service and problems that arise in the area will have “little to no impact on trains” running through the seven-mile stretch.

Since the $386.5 million project began, two tracks have been out of service for construction. One of those tracks went back into service April 26 and the second will return to service later this month, according to the release.

It comes just in time for Metro-North scheduling changes that will shorten the morning commute and is scheduled to take effect May 11.

“The New Haven Line is the single busiest commuter rail in the country, yet much of the power source and equipment that is critical to providing residents with the safe and reliable service we expect is deteriorating and needs to be replaced,” Malloy said in a statement Tuesday. “We are making excellent progress to update and upgrade all aspects of our commuter rail infrastructure and, in particular, replacing the aging catenary wires will give us greater operating flexibility and the ability to get around potential service disruptions during emergencies.”

The construction project is designed to replace the original catenary, installed in 1907. Four open-deck railroad bridges in Bridgeport and Fairfield were also replaced, according to the release.

The next phase of the project will take place from East Norwalk to Green’s Farms and from Bridgeport to Devon and will upgrade about 10.5 miles of power lines. New wires incorporate a “constant tension system” that performs better in extreme temperature conditions, according to the release.

Initially, the project included construction on some New Haven Line bridges, but work on the catenary has taken precedence. Once it’s completed in 2017, bridge work will begin, the release says.

“The process for replacing the remaining, and final segment of catenary wire has been completely reworked to expedite the completion of this important infrastructure,” said Redeker, in a statement Tuesday. “The new work will focus on replacing the wire but not repairing railroad bridges right away. This will save substantial time and only require a single track to be out of service for the duration of the project, resulting in minimal impacts on Metro-North operations in the area.”

The final stage of the power line project will kick off at the end of August, according to the release.

Sonic to Open Fourth Connecticut Location


Carhops delivering fast food on roller skates to your car are a thing of 1950s except at Sonic.

Soon you can get cherry limeades, cheesy tater tots, Texas toast sandwiches and burgers served car-side by roller skating waiters in Bristol.

Sonic is opening in the former Arby’s building on Route 6 in Bristol on Wednesday, May 7. The Bristol franchise of “America’s Drive-In” will bring about 100 jobs to the area, according to a news release from Sonic.

“We’re excited to open our fourth Sonic Drive-In in the state of Connecticut,” Robert Mesite, managing partner of the four-restaurant Connecticut franchise, said.

Many Sonic locations do not have an indoor dining area but the Bristol location will seat 64 people. Outdoor dining is also available.

Sonic will hold a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony at 10 a.m. on Wednesday. Mayor Ken Cockayne and Bristol’s Chamber of Commerce representatives are expected to be in attendance.

The first Sonic opened in Wallingford in 2010, according to The Hartford Courant. Remember that viral YouTube video from two years ago of a guitar-playing patron singing his drive-thru order? That was at the Wallingford Sonic.

Connecticut's franchise is also in Manchester and Milford.

While Sonic may seem like a contemporary throwback to the 1950s era of drive-in restaurants, Sonic was established 60 years ago, around 1954.

For the next week, the Bristol Sonic, located at 1379 Farmington Ave., will operate from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. On May 12, the drive-in will be open from 7 a.m. until midnight every day.

More information about Connecticut’s Sonic drive-in restaurants is available at sonicofct.com.

Photo Credit: myspace.com

Man Killed Over Parking Spot: NYPD


Police say a 24-year-old Queens man was shot and killed in a dispute over a parking spot Monday evening. 

The victim, Darrell Lynch of Jamaica, got into a fight with another man over a parking spot in front of 150-25 113th Ave. at about 7:30 p.m., according to police. The gunman shot Lynch in the leg and ran away.

The victim was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. 

The Daily News reports Lynch's 55-year-old mother was with him during the altercation, and Lynch pulled out his own gun during the fight but dropped it. His mother picked it up and started shooting at the suspect. 

No one was hit when she opened fire. 

The two got back into their SUV and tried to drive away, but Lynch lost consciousness and crashed into two parked cars. 

Police are searching for the gunman. 

WATCH: Police Escort Geese on Hwy.


An Indiana State Police cruiser is giving a family of Canadian geese a special escort along I-80/94 in Tuesday.

Seven geese -- two adults and five babies -- are walking along the side of the interstate followed by two police cruisers and a tow truck.

A couple of good Samaritans in vehicles initially provided an escort for the family of geese until police showed up.

The birds were headed west and crossed the Illinois state line into Lansing, approaching the Wentworth Bridge.

The baby geese, which cannot fly, were occasionally ducking into traffic in the left lane.

Police closed the interstate temporarily and guided the geese into the right lane.

Police blocked the geese just past Wentworth Avenue at a turnaround in the shoulder, blocking the travel of the birds.

Traffic was already slow in the area due to rush hour and pothole repairs and the situation is causing more backups, according to Sky 5's Mike Lorber.

Photo Credit: NBCChicago.com

Nursing Home Employee Accused of Stealing from Patients


East Hartford police have arrested a woman accused of stealing driver's licenses, checks and credit cards from residents of the South Windsor nursing home she works at.

Police said Jessica Solomon, 36, was caught shoplifting at a Walgreens in East Hartford over the weekend. As officers searched her handbag, they found two driver's licenses, two personal checks and three credit cards from residents of Villages of Buckland Court, a senior living community in South Windsor.

Solomon was also found with $2500 cash and a check for nearly $2500 endorsed to her landlord, police said.

Authorities suspect there may be more vicitms. A notebook found among Solomon's possessions contains names, social security numbers, dates of birth and bank information for several nursing home residents, including the four victims who have been identified.

The nursing supervisor confirmed that Solomon is an employee and sent the following statement Monday afternoon:

"The employee has been placed on suspension pending the outcome of the investigation. The Village at Buckland Court conducts criminal background checks for all employees prior to employment. At this time, our priority remains on the wellbeing and safety of our residents, their families and our employees."

It's unclear what Solomon's duties are at the nursing home.

She was charged with multiple counts of larceny, credit card theft and forgery and was held on $50,000 bond at the York Correctional Institution in Niantic.

Solomon is represented by a public defender. She did not enter a plea and the case was continued.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Investigating 2013 Missing Person Case in Bridgeport


Bridgeport police are investigating at a home at 1803 Noble Avenue in connection with a 2013 missing person.

Investigators developed a new lead in a missing person case from September 2013 and executed a search warrant on Monday night in the area of a multi-bay garage at the back of the property. 

They have been going in and out of the home and detached garage.

Family members of the residents said they do not know anything about the investigation and have never seen anything strange at the house.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner assisted police. Authorities said no body was recovered.

“This remains an active missing person case, and detectives are following up on all new information,” Lt. Chris Lamaine said. “The investigation is ongoing.”


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Stalled Ship May Have Hit Whale


A dead 30-foot whale found on the Brooklyn side of New York Harbor Monday morning is believed to have been struck by a cruise ship that was later disabled for several hours as it approached its Manhattan dock.

AnneMarie Mathews, a spokeswoman for Norwegian Cruise Line, said Wednesday the cruise ship's delay on Sunday was not related to the whale strike. 

"We take every precaution to avoid marine life and were saddened by the recent discovery," she said.

The 45-year-old whale was found near Pier 4 on Monday, and towed to the New Jersey side of the harbor. It was found during a necropsy Tuesday to have blunt force trauma and broken ribs.

The NOAA Fisheries Service said it's not known if the whale was killed by the ship or if it was already dead when it was hit. The ship then stalled for several hours in the Hudson River as it was preparing to dock in Manhattan.

The Coast Guard had to help tug the ship, which was returning from a seven-day Caribbean cruise, to Pier 88 on West 48th Street. The cause of the delay was a mechanical problem, Mathews said.

The 144,000-ton ship, called the Breakaway, accommodates more than 4,000 passengers, according to the cruise line.




911 Calls in Kaepernick Incident


Police released 911 calls Tuesday from an incident last month at a Miami luxury hotel, weeks after they said they were investigating San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Miami police said last month that they were investigating Kaepernick, 26, over an alleged incident the night of April 1 involving a woman who said she passed out in a room at the Viceroy Hotel.

The woman, who said she was Kaepernick's former lover, told police she had partied with him and two other NFL players, passed out and later woke up at a hospital with no idea how she had gotten there.

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, 27, and 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton, 23, are both also mentioned in the police report.
Lockette reportedly called 911 just after midnight that night. Police released his 911 call Tuesday, as well as one made by a caller who identified himself as a security guard. The recordings were released in response to public records requests filed by NBC6  and NBC Bay Area, as well as other media outlets.

While the audio doesn’t shed much light on what happened the night of the alleged incident, it does depict both callers speaking with a calm voice as they alert dispatchers of the woman’s presence at the hotel.

“I was going to report that there’s a young lady in my friend's bed,” the 911 caller, apparently Lockette, tells the dispatcher on one call.

“He’s not here. She just wants to lay in his bed, and she’s not leaving. We asked her to leave, and told her he won’t be here tonight, and she said she’s not leaving till she sees him," the caller continues.
The other 911 caller that night tells the dispatcher that the woman was screaming and crying at Apartment 4710, where police later found marijuana and alcohol. On the call, the dispatcher tried to get more details.
Dispatcher: "What is her name?"
Caller: "Um, I'm not sure of her name."
Dispatcher: "What is she wearing?"
Caller: "She actually took her clothes off, and laid in the bed."
Dispatcher: "So she's fully naked in the bed?"
Caller: "Yes."
Dispatcher: "OK, so she's waiting for her boyfriend? Is that it?"
Caller: "No, no, no, he's not her boyfriend. He's just someone she wants to sleep with."

The woman went to Miami police's central station April 3 and gave a report of the incident.

Kaepernick took to Twitter just after reports of the incident first surfaced, slamming a TMZ report that he was being investigated for sexual assault.

"The charges made in the TMZ story and other stories I’ve seen are completely wrong," he tweeted.

"I take great pride in who I am and what I do, but I guess sometimes you have to deal with someone who makes things up. I want to thank all of the people who have shared their encouraging sentiments. I assure you that your faith is not misplaced."

TMZ first broke the news about Kaepernick, saying in its headline that he was being investigated for a sexual assault.

Later, Miami police released the police report the woman filed April 3.

According to that report, she said she went to visit Lockette at the Viceroy on April 1 about 9 p.m. Patton and Kaepernick were also there.

The woman said she mixed drinks for the men and gave them shots, according to the report. She said the men told her that if she wanted to drink she had to "hit the bong, which contained marijuana," the report states.

They chatted for a while and watched basketball. Before midnight, she started to feel "light-headed," she told police, and she went to lie down in the bedroom.

She told police that Kaepernick came into the bedroom behind her and started kissing her. He also started to undress her, and she ended up naked, she told police, according to the report. Kaepernick left the bedroom, and the couple didn’t have sex. He left the room, saying he would be right back, she told police.

When the woman called out that she was in bed naked, Patton and Lockette opened the door and "peeked" inside, she told police. She said she yelled, "What are you doing? Where is Colin? Get out!" according to the police report. The men closed the door and left, according to the report.

The woman could not remember anything else after that. She woke up in a hospital, unable to remember how she arrived there.
She also told police that she had previously had a sexual relationship with Kaepernick.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

Surveillance Video of Stowaway Teen


The California teen stowaway who survived a 5 1/2-hour flight from San Jose to Hawaii can be seen in just-released surveillance video stumbling from the plane's wheel well minutes after it touched down.

The 15-year-old was found walking on the tarmac at Kahului Airport just before 11:30 a.m. April 20, shortly after crossing the Pacific tucked away in the plane's landing gear. The new video is from that day, airport officials said.

"The teen appeared disoriented and was questioned by a worker near the plane who alerted security," airport officials said in a statement released last month.

"TSA and the FBI were also contacted. Surveillance video at Kahului Airport showed what appeared to be the boy exiting from the wheel well of a plane from San Jose, California, that had landed in Kahului, Maui, at about 10:30 a.m. The boy was treated by airport and county medics and then transported to a Maui hospital," they said.

San Jose Police say they still want to interview the teen, who survived sub-freezing temperatures in the wheel well of a jetliner as it crossed the Pacific Ocean.

Police spokesman Albert Morales says the 15-year-old Somali immigrant flew back to California over the weekend and was being cared for by Santa Clara County Child Protective Services.

San Jose police say they are investigating a possible trespassing charge against the teen. But they need to talk to the teen before they pursue the misdemeanor charge.
“We want to find out his thought processes and what was his intent,” SJPD spokesperson Albert Morales said. “At the minimum, he is looking at criminal trespassing, which is a misdemeanor in the state of California.”

Police also want to ask the teen exactly where he scaled a fence at the airport, which allowed him to then hide in the wheel well of a Boeing 767.

Airport surveillance cameras did not capture the boy going over the fence, so where he climbed it remains a mystery.

Police say they hope to get specific details from the boy  that can help them beef up security at the airport.

The teen's father, Abdilahi Yusuf, who drives a taxi in San Jose, flew to Hawaii last week to bring his son home, but child welfare officials there turned the boy over to their California counterparts.

The teen's mother Ubah Mohammed Abdule lives in a refugee camp in eastern Ethiopia and told The Associated Press that she learned of her son's discharge from the hospital through the media.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live