Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Formerly Conjoined Twins to Go Home


The formerly-conjoined Ezell twins are sharing an exciting milestone -- they'll soon be headed home for good.

Mom Jenni Ezell said Emmett and Owen are going home on Wednesday.

The babies were once conjoined breast bone to belly button, but a Dallas doctor was able to surgically separate them at Medical City Children's Hospital last August.

The boys are currently at Our Children's House at Baylor for rehab, but mom said the twins are strong and even breathing on their own.

The twins left Medical City in April for the inpatient rehabilitation center.

Photo Credit: Ezell Family/Medical City Children's Hospital

Video Shows Florida Store Shooting


Newly released surveillance video shows the moment when a man was shot inside a Hialeah mini-mart by the store's owner.

Police said Jorge Mesa, the 30-year-old store owner, shot 34-year-old customer Antoine Perry inside the La Gloria mini-mart near the Tri-Rail station at 1120 East 25 Street on May 13 following an altercation.

At some point, Mesa told Perry to leave the store, Hialeah Police said. In-store surveillance video shows the two continuing to argue. Mesa points the gun at Perry, but Perry doesn't appear to back away. Eventually Perry starts to leave, but pushes down a food stand on his way out. Mesa then allegedly shoots the customer twice, once in the thigh and once in the knee, according to police.

The new video also shows the moments following the gunfire, as Perry struggles to walk after being shot.

Police charged Mesa with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and he has since been released on bond. Florida's "stand your ground" law doesn't apply to property. Officials have said it did not appear that Mesa's life was in danger and that it's possible the customer had psychological problems.

While Mesa did not want to speak on camera, he said the surveillance video doesn't capture the full story.

Sergio Olmer, an employee who witnessed the incident, said Perry had been a nuisance at the store multiple times.

A customer told NBC 6 he'd personally heard Perry make threatening statements in the past.

"I was here that first time, he said he was going to come back and get him," said the customer, who did not want to be identified.

Mesa's wife, who was behind the register at the time of the shooting, said in Spanish that her husband isn't a violent man and that she and her family felt threatened.

"He wasn't a welcome person," Carifel Suarez Mesa said in Spanish. "This wasn't a one-day thing, but the police didn't do anything about it."

Meanwhile, police are trying to figure out what exactly happened.

"We're trying to find out why he shot them," said Hialeah Police spokesman Carl Zogby. "Was it self defense? Or was it just a heated argument? Apparently there's some sort of history between the two."

Perry was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital following the shooting and treated for his injuries.

It is unclear if Mesa has an attorney.

Photo Credit: Hialeah Police

2 Dead in Separate Fatal Crashes Two Miles Apart


Two separate fatal accidents just two miles apart kept traffic investigators busy Sunday morning.

First police responded to a crash near the 300 block of Oakland Road, which is also Route 30, in South Windsor around 2 a.m.

According to police, a late model Camero left the road, hit a parked car, flipped over and struck a utility pole. The driver of the car, a 56-year-old South Windsor man, was later pronounced dead at Manchester Hospital.

Oakland Road was closed for several hours after the crash.

South Windsor police Lt. Scott Custer described the collision as a “very tenuous situation."

“CL&P is here, the wires that we're working under are actually live; however, we're told they're intact, but for that reason the fire department is also here to offer support because of safety hazards,” Custer added.

Just 30 minutes later, police responded to another crash on Buckland Hills Road in Manchester in front of the La-Z-Boy furniture store across from Sears at the Shoppes at Buckland Hills.

Police say a Subaru WRX was traveling eastbound at a high rate of speed when the car crossed over the westbound lanes and collided with a light pole in front of 233 Buckland Hills Drive.

The driver of that car was pronounced dead at the scene. The passenger received minor injuries and was able to walk away from the accident, police said. He was taken to the hospital for an evaluation.

The Metro Traffic investigators, who investigate accidents in eight towns in the area, are on the scene of both crashes.

The passengers have not been identified.

Photo Credit: Todd Hebert

25-Year-Old Man Hurt in Enfield Crash


A 25-year-old man was taken to the hospital after the car he was driving struck a tree in Enfield.

According to police, a car being driven by Robert Allen, 25 of Enfield, left the road and hit a tree on Route 5 near the intersection of Post Office Road just after midnight Sunday.

Allen was transported to Saint Francis Hospital for treatment.

The accident remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Officer J. Peterson at 860-763-6400, ext. 1362. 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

East Lyme Store Robbed at Knifepoint


State police are requesting the public’s help in finding a man that robbed an East Lyme shop at knifepoint.

Police say they were called The Whimsical Consignment Shop on Pennsylvania Avenue around 6 p.m. Saturday.

When they arrived, they learned that a man entered the store wielding a knife and demanded money from the store clerk, according to police. He stole an undisclosed amount of cash and walked out.

Police said he was later seen leaving the area on a motorcycle.

The suspect is described as a white man wearing a bright blue hooded sweatshirt, shorts and a dark bandanna over his face.

Police are asking anyone with information to call state police at 860-848-6532.

Police Investigate Bridgeport Shooting


Police are investigating after a man was shot in the leg at the intersection of Beach and Jane streets in Bridgeport just before 2 a.m. Sunday.

The victim has not yet been identified. Police said he was "uncooperative and highly intoxicated" at the scene.

Authorities have identified a possible suspect described as a man wearing a white T-shirt and blue shorts and may have fled the scene in a small, white or light-colored vehicle on Beach Street.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Jimmy Mack, Killed in Crash, Remembered as Friend and Mentor


The crash that critically injured Tracy Morgan also killed a comedian who some are remembering as a friend and mentor to the "30 Rock" star.

James McNair, known on the comedy circuit as "Jimmy Mack," died in the six-vehicle crash Saturday along the New Jersey Turnpike that sent Morgan and two others to the hospital in critical condition.

Morgan's ex-wife, Sabina Morgan, told the Daily News that the two had a long history together.

"He was one of the first comedians that took Tracy under his wing," she said of the 62-year-old Westchester resident. "They were very close."

Even after Morgan's career exploded, the two would sometimes work together, The Journal News reported.

"Him and Tracy stayed really close," McNair's friend Glenn Cook told the newspaper. "When Tracy calls, (McNair) drops everything and goes."

McNair was known in his hometown of Peekskill as a frequent volunteer who was very involved with his church. 

"I know how he loved comedy, how he loved community, how much he did for the community," Cook said. "He helped just about everybody."

He also helped care for his sister, who has cancer, Donna Besterio, head of the Caring for the Homeless of Peekskill, told The Journal News. 

Photo Credit: WireImage

Employee Held Responsible for Access Health Breach on Leave


The employee believed to be responsible for a backpack full of confidential Access Health CT documents found lying in the street in Hartford has been placed on administrative leave, Access Health officials said Sunday.

According to the organization, the person held responsible is an employee of a company called Maximus, the call vendor for the health care exchange. A release from Access Health said the employee came forward after seeing a news report on the backpack Friday night.

The backpack, found outside the Access Health office on Trumbull Street in Hartford on Friday, contained four notepads with handwritten names and birthdates of about 400 people, along with the Social Security numbers for “fewer than 200” individuals, according to Access Health CT Chief Marketing Officer Jason Madrak.

Such notes can be used to help customers navigate the enrollment process, Madrak explained in the news release.

Hartford police said Friday they were investigating to determine whether a security breach had occurred.

Access Health officials are contacting the individuals whose personal information may have been compromised.

The owner of the backpack is on administrative leave and “has had all system access privileges revoked,” according to Madrak.

“While we are still working to understand exactly why this person took the information out of the building, based on what we have learned so far it does not appear there was malfeasance on the part of this person,” Madrak said in the release.

Representatives from the health care exchange said individuals whose names were on the notepads will be offered free credit monitoring, fraud resolution, identity theft insurance and credit report security freezes.

“We are sorry this happened, and we are working to rectify as quickly as possible, as well as doing whatever is necessary to prevent it from happening again,” Madrak said in a statement.

Brush Fire Out Near Route 8 in Beacon Falls


Emergency crews have put out a large brush fire burning near Route 8 in Beacon Falls, according to the fire department.

The right lane on the northbound side of Route 8 was closed between exits 24 and 25 due to smoke conditions caused by the fire's proximity to the highway.

The lane was blocked off around 3:30 p.m. and was shut down until just after 5 p.m., when the fire was completely snuffed out, police said.

Beacon Hills fire officials said the company called in mutual aid.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Tracy Morgan "More Responsive"


Former "Saturday Night Live" castmember Tracy Morgan remained in critical condition Sunday, but has been "more responsive" following Saturday's deadly six-car crash on the New Jersey Turnpike that left two others critically injured and another man dead.

The 45-year-old actor and comedian was "more responsive" Sunday after having surgery for a broken leg, spokesman Lewis Kay said in a statement.

"While Tracy remains in critical condition, he has been more responsive today, which is an incredibly encouraging sign," Kay said.

Kay said that Morgan, who was airlifted to a hospital, also sustained a broken femur, broken nose and several broken ribs and is expected to remain hospitalized for "several weeks." He said that the comedian's family is "tremendously overwhelmed and appreciative of the outpouring of love and support from his fans."

Morgan was traveling with six other people -- two limo bus employees and four friends -- after a stand-up show in Delaware earlier that evening.

Limo driver Tyrone Gail said it was a "great day turned tragic in seconds. I was face down on the asphalt. It was unreal. I didn't know what happened. Shattered glass and things like that. It all happened so fast." 

Kevin Roper, 35, was driving a Walmart big rig on the turnpike when he failed to notice traffic slowing down in front of him. Roper smashed into the back of the the limo that Morgan was riding in, killing comedian James "Jimmy Mack" McNair, authorities said.

Walmart President and CEO Bill Simon expressed his sympathies to the victims of the crash.

"The facts are continuing to unfold. If it's determined that our truck caused the accident, Walmart will take full responsibility," Simon said.

Roper, of Jonesboro, Georgia, was charged with one count of death by auto and four counts of assault by auto, Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office said in a news release. Roper, accompanied by his attorney, turned himself in to state police. He was released on $50,000 bail Saturday night. 

The accident happened about 15 miles north of Trenton near Exit 7A of the Turnpike in Cranbury, N.J.

Fans and celebrities took to social media and posted messages using the hashtag #PrayersForTracyMorgan to offer their support to Morgan.

Fellow travelers Jeffrey Millea, of Shelton, Connecticut, and comedian Ardie Fuqua Jr. were listed in critical condition along with Morgan at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, hospital spokeswoman Zenaida Mendez said Sunday, The Associated Press reported. Another comedian, Harris Stanton, was treated and released from the hospital Saturday.

Roper is expected to appear in court Monday but nothing has been scheduled, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.


Pictured: Kevin Roper is the tractor-trailer driver who was charged in the fatal accident involving comedian Tracy Morgan. 

Photo Credit: Greg Allen/Invision/AP

30 Shot, 4 Fatally, in Chicago


At least 30 people have been shot across Chicago this weekend, four of them fatally, officials said.

The weekend’s first fatal shooting took place around 1:45 p.m. Friday in the 1900 block of West Howard Street in the city’s Rogers Park neighborhood when an 18-year-old man was found with gunshot wounds to his torso and back, police said.

Police responded to the scene after receiving reports of shots fired in the area and found the teen unresponsive.

He was transported to Presence St. Francis Hospital in Evanston where he was pronounced dead, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. He was later identified as 18-year-old Alante Vallejo, officials said.

A second person was also injured in the shooting, police said.

A 20-year-old man suffered a wound to his foot and took himself to Evanston Hospital in good condition, police said.

Officials believe the shooting may have been gang-related.

Also Friday, a woman was shot to death in the city’s West Garfield Park neighborhood.

Police said a 22-year-old woman was shot around 10:45 p.m. in the 100 block of North Keeler Avenue in what may have been a domestic incident.

Carnesha Fort was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and was pronounced dead just before 11:30 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said.

Early Saturday, two people were shot in the city’s Washington Park neighborhood.

Police said officers found an 18-year-old man and a 20-year-old man in an alley in the 5600 block of South Wabash while responding to reports of shots fired.

The 18-year-old man was unresponsive at the scene and pronounced dead and the 20-year-old man was taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.

The medical examiner’s office later identified the 18-year-old victim as Brian Weekly.

The latest fatal shooting took place just before 9:30 p.m. Saturday.

A 35-year-old man was found with multiple gunshot wounds in the 4600 block of West Jackson Boulevard. The man, who was unresponsive at the scene, was taken to Loretto Hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.

At least six people were wounded during the overnight hours into Sunday and 18 others hurt this weekend.

  • Around 1:10 p.m., police said a 27-year-old man was shot in the 400 block of North Leamington Avenue. The man suffered two wounds to the right hand and was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in stable condition.
  • Just before 1 a.m. Sunday, a 21-year-old man was shot in the leg while walking in the 9000 block of South Harvard Avenue. The man was taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital in good condition.
  • Just before midnight Saturday, a 27-year-old man was shot in the 5100 block of South Wood Street. The man was walking on the block when a black vehicle pulled alongside him and someone in the vehicle opened fire, police said. The man was shot in the leg and suffered a graze wound to the neck. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition.
  • Around 11 p.m. Saturday, two 19-year-old men were shot in the 5100 block of West Gladys Avenue. The two were standing on the street when two men approached them and one opened fire. One teen suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and was taken to Stroger Hospital in stable condition. The other teen was shot in the left leg and taken in stable condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. The offenders fled the scene on foot and no one was in custody as of Sunday morning.
  • Around 4:40 p.m. two men were seriously wounded in a shooting in the 500 block of North Avers Avenue. The two were sitting in a vehicle at a stoplight when they heard shots and felt pain, police said. A 33-year-old man was shot in the back and taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition and a 21-year-old man was shot in the thigh and taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai hospital.
  • Just before 4:30 p.m., a 28-year-old man was shot in the chest and arm in an apparent drive-by in the 400 block of South Homan Avenue. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment. Police did not have a vehicle description following the shooting.


Photo Credit: Brad Bartley/NBC Chicago

Oldest Man on Earth Dies at 111


An 111-year-old New Yorker who lived on the Upper West Side and had been certified as the oldest man in the world died Sunday morning, according to friends who had been taking care of him.

Alexander Imich died peacefully at 9:03 a.m., according to his friends Michael Mannion and Trish Corbett. He had attained the rank of oldest man on the planet this April as determined by the  Gerontology Research Group of Torrance, Calif.

Imich shrugged off the title in an interview with NBC 4 New York last month when asked for his secret to longevity.

"I don't know, I simply didn't die earlier," he quipped. "I have no idea how this happened."

Imich was born Feb. 4, 1903 -- more than a year before the New York City subway system opened, and the same year the Yankees played their first season in New York.

Imich was born in Poland, and fled the country with his wife after the Nazis invaded in 1939. They eventually came to the U.S. in the 1950s. She died in 1986.

He attributed some of his health to a clean diet -- chicken, fish, no alcohol -- and participating in gymnastics and swimming in his younger days.

He was the world's oldest man, but he wasn't the oldest person -- 66 women outranked him, according to Gerontology Research.

An 116-year-old Japanese woman, Misao Okawa, is recognized as the world's oldest living person.

The rank of world's oldest man will now go to Sakari Momoi of Japan, also 111 and born just a day after Imich in 1903, according to Gerontology Research.

Medical Pot Bill Inspired by Girl


On good days when her epileptic seizures aren't severe, RayAnn Moseley laughs, sings, dances, swims and practices with the children's choir at her church. She easily brings smiles to the people around her.

On bad days, the 11-year-old wakes up in bloody sheets or lies down on the school floor and says nothing all day. When her seizures become particularly intense, she is rushed to the hospital.

The images of those extremes collected in a collage helped persuade Florida lawmakers to support a bill that will soon allow parents to treat their epileptic children with marijuana that has a low amount of THC, the chemical that causes intoxication. What seemed improbable a few months ago is now about to become a law with the help of a severely epileptic girl whose story melted hearts.

"When we first started this, people were like, 'Are you crazy? It's never going to pass,'" said RayAnn's father, Peyton Moseley, who along with his wife, Holley, met with dozens of lawmakers showing them the photos of RayAnn. "They could see the difference when she's having good days as opposed to when she's having bad days. It helped to really put a face on it."

Even Gov. Rick Scott, who has firmly opposed medical marijuana, welcomed RayAnn into his office, hugged her and assured her parents he would sign the bill.

Once Scott signs the bill, which passed the Legislature overwhelmingly on the last day of this year's legislative session, strains of marijuana with low amounts of THC and high amounts of cannabidiol, or CBD, which is used to treat seizures, will be legal in Florida for certain medical conditions.

Still, a handful of House members raised concerns, including a lack of U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for the drug's use and the possibility that the bill will open the door for wider spread use of marijuana.

"This could be the rifle shot that starts a massive avalanche," Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, said after the vote. "When I look at that I simply can't pull the trigger."

The journey to passage began late last year when the Moseleys traveled from the Pensacola area to Colorado and talked to parents of epileptic children whose seizures have been reduced or eliminated after treating them with oil from a marijuana strain known as "Charlotte's Web," named for the epileptic girl it originally helped in 2012. They also talked to the Stanley brothers, marijuana growers who developed the strain, which is legal in Colorado.

That's when they decided to seek the treatment's legalization in Florida, teaming up with two lobbyists and a publicist who donated their time. Simultaneously, conservative Panhandle Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz was being pressured by a Democratic colleague to support the idea of legalizing Charlotte's Web. He was skeptical, but willing to listen. He set up a phone call with the Stanley brothers, who told him about the Moseleys.

"I was not on fire for the issue until I got to meet the Moseleys," Gaetz said. "Sharing the Moseleys' story lit a fire in me that I couldn't find a way to put out until passing this bill."

Part of that story is how RayAnn came into the Moseleys' lives. RayAnn's birth mother was a prostitute and drug user. She often didn't get the medication doctors prescribed to treat the seizures that have tormented her since birth. The state took custody of RayAnn when she was 2, but it's not easy finding foster parents for a child with cerebral palsy and intractable epilepsy. They placed her at a hospital where Holly Moseley, a pediatric nurse, saw her in a crib covered with netting.

"We just connected. You just can't help but fall in love with those blue eyes," Moseley said. "You could just see inside of her that need for love."

Three days later, Moseley was off but couldn't help thinking about RayAnn stuck in a crib that looked like a cage. Christmas was approaching and she got permission to have RayAnn join her family for the holidays.

"She laughed the whole night - there was just a big smile on her face," Moseley said. Right after Christmas, the Moseleys hired a lawyer and started a three-year fight to adopt RayAnn, whose birth mother resisted giving her up. The same month Moseley gave birth to her first of two biological children, RayAnn became the couple's adoptive daughter.

"On the good days, it's fabulous," said her teacher, Angela Pettus. "She is just so much fun, she is such a joy. She keeps us laughing, she keeps us entertained."

But on the bad days she can be angry and frustrated either by the side effects of her medications or when her seizures increase in intensity.

"She will go through spurts of extreme growth where she's getting things, things are starting to click. She's doing great, she's reading, she's comprehending, she's doing math," Pettus said. "Then she'll go through a period of seizures and she'll lose a lot of it and we're back to square one again. It's hard to watch that in a child."

"There's just a lot of intelligence in there, that if they could get her seizures under control and they could get her leveled out, her doors could be wide open," Pettus said.

RayAnn's cerebral palsy affects her ability to speak and, while her parents understand her, most people have a difficult time communicating with her. The Moseleys hope that could change with help from Charlotte's Web.

"In the state of Colorado we do know that 85 percent of children who are using non-euphoric marijuana to control seizures and spasms have seen a 50 to 100 percent reduction in those seizures," Gaetz said.

"I imagine that there's this whole other inner being in RayAnn that hasn't come out yet that wants to come out, that just hasn't physically been able to come out. I just look really look forward to meeting her for the first time pharmaceutical free," Peyton Moseley said. "I don't think God has brought us this far for it not to work."

Photo Credit: AP

@HiddenCash Back in San Francisco


@HiddenCash was at the beach Sunday making at least 14 cash drops.

After tweeting out a few vague clues that included ice cream cones, bubbles, blue people and a palace, he finally gave away the specific location: Crissy Field.

A report by NBC Bay Area's Investigative Unit last week detailed the past of the man behind @HiddenCash. He is San Francisco real investor Jason Buzi.

Buzi's recent antics of hiding cash in major U.S. cities has sparked a media frenzy, launched international headlines and gained him nearly half a million Twitter followers. It has also raised questions about his past, which includes a history of cash-giveaways, online money-making-attempts and controversial real-estate deals.

But throughout the Hidden Cash craze that has swept the nation over the past few weeks, Buzi has maintained that his scavenger hunt for cash is "a fun way to give."

On Sunday, Hidden Cash was having plenty of fun, keeping beachgoers at Crissy Field busy by hiding wads of bills in colorful bubble blowers.

By 11 a.m., eight people had found cash, tweeting out pictures of their find and promising to "pay it forward."

@HiddenCash later tweeted that it is expanding and a new schedule will be announced Monday.

Photo Credit: Michelle Cheung: @michelleeec Via Twitter

Audra McDonald, Bryan Cranston, NPH Win Tonys


The lethal romp "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" got a lot of love at Sunday night's Tony Awards, nabbing the best new musical trophy on a night that also saw Audra McDonald make Broadway history, Bryan Cranston win as a rookie and four-time host Neil Patrick Harris get his own award.

"A Gentlemen's Guide," in which a poor man comically eliminates the eight heirs ahead of him for a title, opened rather quietly and has had a steady increase in interest, peaking with its huge win over Disney's "Aladdin" and the built-in love of Carole King songs from "Beautiful — The Carole King Musical."

"The little engine that could, did," said an ecstatic lead producer Joey Parnes. The show nabbed a total of four wins, including best book of a musical. It was tied for the most decorated show of the night with "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," an unlikely Broadway hit about obsession, glam rock and a botched sex-change operation.

McDonald, at 43, won her sixth Tony for portraying Billie Holiday in "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill," putting her ahead of five-time winners Angela Lansbury and the late Julie Harris for the most competitive wins by an actress. (Harris has six if her special lifetime achievement award is included.) McDonald got a prolonged standing ovation and among those she thanked were her parents for not medicating their hyperactive child.

The latest win — for best lead actress in a play — also makes McDonald the only woman to win a Tony in all four acting categories. She previously won as best featured actress in a play ("A Raisin in the Sun" and "Master Class"), best lead actress in a musical ("The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess") and best featured actress in a musical ("Ragtime" and "Carousel").

"Hedwig" was led by Neil Patrick Harris, and the former Tony host got his first award — best actor in a musical — after performing a song from the show, looking unrecognizable in a miniskirt and blond feathered wig. He gave audience member Sting a lap dance and took Samuel L. Jackson's glasses away and licked them.

"A year ago I was hosting the Tonys. This is crazy pants," he said after donning pants. His co-star Lena Hall won best featured actress in a musical and the show also won for best musical revival and lighting.

Cranston — in a role far from TV's chemistry teacher-turned-meth kingpin Walter White in "Breaking Bad" — won the best lead actor in a play Tony for playing former President Lyndon B. Johnson in Robert Schenkkan's "All the Way," which also was crowned best play. It was Cranston's first time on Broadway.

Jessie Mueller beat some strong Broadway veterans in Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel and Kelli O'Hara to take home the best actress in a musical Tony for playing the title character in "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical." She thanked the iconic singer-songwriter and all her competitors. One of the show's highlights was King singing with the cast of the show.

Host Hugh Jackman kicked off the Tonys with a bounce, hopping up and down like a kangaroo during his opening number Sunday. Big, high-kicking musical numbers from "After Midnight," ''Aladdin" and "Rocky" kept the energy up.

The bearded Australian, back as host after a nine-year absence, greeted many of the night's featured performers as he cheerfully bounded past them backstage. He then joined the cast of the musical "After Midnight" for a rousing rendition of "It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got that Swing)." He later rapped with LL Cool J and T.I. to a reworked song from "The Music Man" and danced with all the leading ladies nominated for a musical.

Mark Rylance won his third Tony for playing the countess Olivia in "Twelfth Night." Rylance, who previously won for "Jerusalem" and "Boeing-Boeing," kept the drag theme going this season by winning for playing a woman.

Darko Tresnjak won for directing the musical "A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder" and thanked his mother, who was too frail to be there. The musical also won for best book of a musical and costumes for a musical.

Kenny Leon won his first Tony for directing the revival of "A Raisin in the Sun." He thanked, among other, his star Denzel Washington, who was not nominated, and the women in his life. He even managed to plug his next work, "Holler If Ya Hear Me."

One of his "Raisin" stars, Sophie Okonedo, won for best featured actress in a play. "I am loving it on Broadway," she said. She thanked producer Scott Rudin for believing that a "Jewish, Nigerian Brit" could play the iconic role of Ruth Younger. The show also won best play revival.

The evening's disappointments included just one win — best featured actor in a musical to James Monroe Iglehart — for Disney's "Aladdin," which had gone in with five nominations, and only one each for "After Midnight" (choreography) and "Rocky" (scenic design). "Bullets Over Broadway" won nothing, nor did "If/Then" or the "Les Miz" revival.

Sunday night's show ran more than 15 minutes over its allotted three-hour time slot, forcing the producers to make a painful cut — the memorial segment where notable theater deaths of the past year were to be acknowledged.


Photo Credit: Getty Images for Tony Awards Pro

Teenage Boy Shot While Riding Bike


A teenage boy was shot multiple times outside a home in New Haven on Sunday night.  The shooting was reported around 7:30 p.m. on Winthrop Avenue.  

Police said the victim was riding his bike when another teenage male rode up on a bike and shot him multiple times in the leg and back and then fled. 

New Haven police cruisers were seen pursuing a suspect on a mountain bike.  The pursuit ended at the corner of North Frontage Road and Orchard Street and the male on the bike was taken into custody by officers.

Police officers remained at both scenes collecting evidence.  A portion of Winthrop Avenue was blocked off to traffic between Maple Street and Elm Street.  There is no word on the condition of the victim.

This is the latest in a string of shootings reported on Winthrop Avenue.  Police said a 41-year-old man was shot in the leg on Friday during an apparent street robbery.  In May, Otis Powell, 44, was shot and killed outside of the "This Custom Design" shop at 465 Winthrop Avenue.

Photo Credit: Jamie Ratliff/NBC Connecticut News

Teacher Pulled Knife on Teens: Cops


A Southern California high school teacher is facing kidnapping charges after pulling a knife on a trio of students and demanding they drive him to a fast-food restaurant while he was apparently intoxicated, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.

The students were driving at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday when they stopped to greet one of their teachers, 34-year-old John Edward Maust, whom they saw standing near Ganesha Avenue and East Mariposa Street in Altadena, sheriff's officials said in a news release.

Maust asked for a ride, and the 17-year-olds agreed. But during the trip, the driver became worried by their conversation with the teacher and pulled the car over, officials said.

"They immediately noticed that he was intoxicated," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Tony Moore. "They didn't feel safe. They got out of the car and he ordered them back into the car."

The teacher at Arroyo Pacific Academy in Arcadia demanded the students drive to a Jack in the Box restaurant, according to the sheriff's department. Maust pulled out a knife on the teens after they reluctantly re-entered the car, officials said.

One of the teens was able to call 911 during the drive. When Maust saw a sheriff’s department helicopter flying overhead, he bailed from the car and fled on foot, officials said.

On Sunday, Maust surrendered at the Altadena Sheriff’s Station, where he was arrested without incident, officials said. He faces charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment, and criminal threats. He was being held on $100,000 bail. It was not immediately clear whether he had obtained an attorney.

The teacher was placed on indefinite administrative leave, according to school officials.

"We are immensely saddened," said Philip Clarke, president of Arroyo Pacific Academy. "We are very concerned about the well being of a long-term, well-respected faculty member who is involved. Our hearts and our prayers go out to him at this moment of this situation in his life.

"Our primary concern is for the well being and welfare of our students."



Car Fire Slowed Commute on I-91S in Windsor


A car fire slowed the commute on Interstate 91 South in Windsor on Monday morning.

The car fire was by exit 34, and the right lane and off-ramp were closed. but the scene is clearing.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Department of Transportation

Wheelchair Stolen in Vernon Found


Police have found a custom-made wheelchair reported stolen from outside a Vernon bowling alley on Sunday night.

The victim told police that the wheelchair was outside a main entrance of Spare Time Bowling, at 350 Talcottville Road, and was taken between 10 p.m. on Sunday and midnight. 

The orange “Quickie” wheelchair, which is worth around $3,000, was located down the street.

Police believe someone took it for a ride.


Photo Credit: Vernon Police

Morgan Crash Driver Sleep-Deprived?


The driver of the tractor-trailer that struck a limo bus carrying Tracy Morgan and six others on the New Jersey Turnpike Saturday, killing one person and leaving the comedian and two others critically injured, had not slept in more than 24 hours, according to a criminal complaint. 

Kevin Roper, 35, was driving a Walmart truck on the turnpike when he apparently failed to notice traffic slowing down in front of him. Roper smashed into the back of the the limo, causing it to flip and slid into several other vehicles.

Comedian James "Jimmy Mack" McNair was killed, and Morgan suffered a broken leg, broken nose and several broken ribs and is expected to remain hospitalized for "several weeks," according to his spokesman Lewis Kay.

The 45-year-old "Saturday Night Live" and "30 Rock" actor remained in critical but stable condition Monday, Kay said. He had surgery on Sunday.

Also critically injured were Morgan's assistant, Jeffrey Millea, 36, and comedian Ardie Fuqua Jr., 43. They were in critical condition Sunday evening, said officials at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick. Another passenger, comic Harris Stanton, was treated and released.

A criminal complaint charging Roper with vehicular homicide and assault by auto alleges he had not slept in more than 24 hours. It did not elaborate on that part of the investigation.

Walmart said in a statement: "It is our belief that Mr. Roper was operating within the federal hours of service regulations," which require drivers to work no more than 14 hours for any shift and 11 hours of driving .

Morgan was coming back from a standup show in Delaware when the limo was struck about 15 miles north of Trenton near exit 8A. 

Roper was released on bail Saturday night and is set to be arraigned Wednesday. Attorney information was not immediately available.



Pictured: Kevin Roper is the tractor-trailer driver who was charged in the fatal accident involving comedian Tracy Morgan. 


Photo Credit: AP
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live