Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Chicago Readies Its Own Bull Run


Thousands of Chicago-area people will get a taste of Spain Saturday at the first local staging of The Great Bull Run.

The Americanized and tamer version of Pamplona's famous Running of the Bulls takes place at Hawthorne Race Course in south suburban Stickney.

"It's a legendary event. Everyone knows about it; it's a bucket list item. But it's the danger that draws people to it. People want to test themselves. They want to see, 'Do I have what it takes to go out there with these massive animals and run alongside of them?'" organizer Rob Dickens said.

Dickens says he came up with the idea after he tried to go to the Pamplona event in 2012 but found traveling to Spain prohibitive.

"You have to book everything about a year in advance, and it costs about $4,000 a person for your flights and all that. So that's when I decided, why not bring something similar here to the U.S. to make it more accessible?" Dickens said.
Event organizers say they won't be using the kind of hyper-aggressive bulls that run in the Pamplona version. The Hawthorne bull run will also incorporate a safety fence that participants can climb, and riders on horses will follow the bulls and lasso the animals in case one gets too aggressive.

Last year, officials from the Humane Society of the United States requested an investigation into what they called an "unlicensed event," and complained the event posed a danger to the animals.

But Dickens says that worry is unfounded.

"The federal government did look into what we were doing and said there's nothing to see here. Basically, we don't hit the bulls to make them run, or shock them, or do anything else. It's their natural stampede instinct to run when they see one of their fellows running," Dickens said.

The Hawthorne event falls days after a Chicago author was injured during the Pamplona event.

Photo Credit: TheGreatbullrun.com

Gunshot Victim Critically Wounded


A man is in critical condition after being shot in the head in New Haven early Friday morning. 

Police responded to investigate a shooting on George Street near the Waverly Street intersection at 2:34 a.m. and found Jerry Boucicault, 37, with a gunshot wound to the head. He was rushed to Yale-New Haven hospital for treatment. 

A man approached Boucicault from behind when he came to pick someone up at 590 George Street, shot him once in the back of the head and ran east on the road, police said. 

The shooter is described as a "black man wearing a white T-shirt" and escaped in a car parked near Waverly Street, according to police. 

Police have not released information on whether the shooter knew the victim, but said that robbery was not likely the motive. 


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Danbury Man Arrested on Child Pornography Charges


A 43-year-old Danbury man is facing charges after investigators found child pornography files on his computer, according to police.

John W. Lefflbine, of Mountainville Road in Danbury, was arrested Friday following a months-long search during which police combed through his computer files and identified photos and videos depicting child pornography, state police said.

The investigation was launched in December 2013 when law enforcement traced suspected child pornography files back to Lefflbine and said he was sharing them on the Internet.

Police searched his home in February and confiscated computer equipment, on which they found child pornography.

Lefflbine has been charged with promoting a minor in an obscene performance and first-degree possession of child pornography. Bond was set at $2,500 and he’s due in court July 21.

Manslaughter Charges Filed in Death of Putnam 2-Year-Old


The two people arrested in connection with the choking death of a 2-year-old boy in Putnam this spring have been additionally charged with manslaughter, according to Danielson Superior Court.

David Mahan, 30, the boy’s father, and Renee Peterson, 32, Mahan’s girlfriend, were initially arrested in April. Mahan was charged in Massachusetts as a fugitive from justice and Peterson was charged with risk of injury to a minor, reckless endangerment and cruelty to persons. Today, they were additionally charged with second-degree manslaughter.

According to the warrant for her arrest, Peterson left Mahan’s two sons, ages 2 and 1, alone in a locked bedroom while she went to a methadone clinic in Willimantic the morning of March 26.

While she was gone, the toddler choked to death on a piece of food and was later found unresponsive at the home on Mechanic Drive, the warrant says.

Police initially said the boy’s death appeared accidental.

Mahan will appear in court again Aug. 15 and Peterson is due back Sept. 12.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

State Officials Issue Second IRS Scam Warning


The Department of Consumer Protection and Attorney General's Office has issued a second warning to Connecticut residents about a scam in which a caller pretends to be an Internal Revenue Service official seeking tax payments.

“Consumers can rest easy knowing that while these calls are an annoyance, there is no truth to them. It’s important to share this message with all members of your household who may answer the phone to one of these troubling or threatening calls,” Consumer Protection Commissioner William M. Rubenstein said Friday. “Government agencies – including the FBI and the IRS – do not call people on the phone or send emails to demand money or threaten arrest."

In the bogus calls, the scammer impersonates an IRS official and tells the taxpayer they owe money to the IRS and face being arrested if they don't pay their debt.

“Recently we’ve been told that in some cases, the callers have identifying information about their potential victim, such as the last four digits of a Social Security number, or part of a bank account number, but don’t let this convince you the call is real,” Rubenstein said. “Identity thieves gather partial information and try to use it to their advantage. Even if their information is convincing, do not give in to any request for immediate payment.”

State officials sent out a warning about the scam in April and the IRS and police warned residents of a similar scam in March that they believed had a connection to a swatting call in Watertown about a fake home invasion.

“This is a pervasive scam that has been described as particularly aggressive," Attorney General George Jepsen said. “No matter what the caller may threaten or say, never send them money. The IRS will always send taxpayers a written notification of any tax due through the U.S. mail, not through an unsolicited phone call. If you or a family member get this call, hang up, and then report it to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration."

The IRS scam has been happening nationwide, so the IRS created a website where people can report the scam calls.

The IRS advises people who receive the scam calls to call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to inquire about any outstanding tax payments. If you don't owe any taxes, you can report the call to the Treasure Inspector General for Tax Administration or file a consumer complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov.

You can contact the Attorney General's Consumer Assistance Unit if you have any questions at 860-808-5420 or the Department of Consumer Protection at 1-800-842-2649.

Teen Airlifted to Hospital After Motorcycle Crash


A motorcycle driver was airlifted to the hospital with serious injuries after his motorcycle collided with an SUV in Torrington Friday evening, according to police.

Police said Nicholas Lorenzo, 19, of Torrington, was driving fast on Torringford Street/Route 183 and weaving in and out of traffic when he struck a Chevy Blazer turning onto East Pearl Road.

Lorenzo was airlifted to the hospital for treatment of serious but non-life threatening injuries, according to police.

Neither the SUV driver nor the three passengers were injured. Police said the Blazer sustained moderate damage to the passenger's side.

Torringford Road was closed between West Pearl Road and Country Club Road while LifeStar landed and authorities arrived on scene.

Police are still investigating but said it appears as though Lorenzo is at fault. Authorities learned that he was driving with a suspended license and expect to charge him with motor vehicle violations after he's out fo the hospital.

He was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, according to police.

Tiki Torch Embers May Have Sparked Suffield Fire


Firefighters worked through the night and well into the morning beating down massive flames that destroyed a Suffield home and displaced four residents Thursday into Friday.

The blaze broke out at 3A Poole Road around 11:30 p.m. Thursday while four people were inside. Flames moved rapidly through the home and left behind only charred remains.

All four residents made it out safely, but one woman was taken to the hospital for an evaluation and has since been released.

"They got out but I could hear some crying, I could hear some yelling," said Suffield resident Sara Rock, whose son, a volunteer firefighter, was first on scene.

The fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire but said he has ruled out arson. According to the chief, the fire may have started after embers from tiki torches fell into the mulch.

Fire Chief Chuck Flynn said it appears that flames spread from the mulch to small trees surrounding the home, then jumped to the siding and engulfed the house.

Neighbors at the scene said they awoke to what sounded like fireworks as flames got underway.

"All I could see was this fireball that went a good hundred, 150 feet in the air. All you could see was the frame of teh house, period," said Paul Podosek, who watched the house burn with his son. "Then with the vinyl siding, it just added fuel to the fire and it kept going."

Three dogs were rescued but a fourth still hadn't been found as of Friday afternoon. Family members said they tried desperately to get back inside to rescue the bulldog, Jack, but the fire was fast-moving and the smoke overwhelming.

Fire quickly consumed the home. The heat of it flattened a family car, and all that's left among charred remains is a stone fireplace barely standing.

Since there are no fire hydrants in the area, firefighters called in mutual aid from nine surrounding towns and used 1,800 feet of hose to access water from a nearby creek.

"The house was halfway burned down before anyone even got there," Rock explained.

Smoke was still rising from the home after 2:30 a.m. Firefighters had contained the blaze by morning but stayed to snuff out hot spots.

The fire marshal was still on scene early Friday afternoon to make sure the flames wouldn't rekindle.

Flynn said not much could have been done differently to salvage the home, and added that working smoke detectors likely saved the residents' lives.

Torrington Baseball Players Help Save Epileptic Teen


The Torrington mayor made a special appearance at Friday night’s baseball game to honor the four college players credited with saving the life of a 14-year-old boy.

The players are staying with local families for the summer while they play for the Torrington Titans, a college summer team, and became fast friends with 14-year-old Daniel Kolukisa. Daniel is epileptic and suffered a seizure while out in the backyard for some family time Sunday night.

The players sprang into action. They work with Daniel’s parents to help monitor his condition, timing the seizure and retrieving his medication.

“That was definitely very frightening for me,” said Chris Scura, one of the players. “It’s the first time I’ve ever seen anything like that.”

To raise awareness of epilepsy, fans wore purple to tonight’s game at Fuessenich Park, which kicked off at 7 p.m.

Mayor Elinor Carbone arrived to present them with a certificate of appreciation just prior to the start.

Atlantic City's Trump Plaza Closing


The Trump Plaza Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City will close this fall, according to multiple sources.

New Jersey State Sen. Jim Whelan (D-Atlantic) told NBC10 he expects WARN notices to go out to the casino's 900 employees Monday. 

Employers in New Jersey are required to provide at least 60 days notice to their workers when planning mass layoffs.

The timing indicates the Trump Plaza will shut its doors in September -- the same month Harry Hurley of WPG Talk Radio 1450 AM reported the casino will close.

Roger Gros, the publisher of Global Gaming Business, also tells NBC10 the casino will be ending its operations after more than 20 years in the resort town.

The once thriving gambling industry in Atlantic City began to tumble several years ago as visitors opted to roll the dice at other casinos throughout the Northeast.

Caesars Entertainment announced in June that its Showboat Casino and Hotel will close Aug. 31. More than 1,500 workers lost their jobs when The Atlantic Club shut down in January.

An attorney for Revel Casino and Hotel told a bankruptcy court judge that if a buyer did not take over the struggling casino soon, it would also close.

Stay with NBC10 for more on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Getty

Busy Weekend Brings Traffic, Crowds to Hartford


From fireworks to concerts to costumes, thousands are expected to pour in for some summer fun in Hartford this weekend.

Over at the Xfinity Theatre Dave Matthews Band fans spent part of their Friday night enjoying some sun, food, and drinks.

"It's a great time. The crowd is good. Everybody seems to be behaving themselves which isn't always the case with Dave Matthews Band," said Jennifer Strong from Thompson.

To keep it that way Hartford Police are out in force, keeping traffic running smoothly and patrolling the parking lots. A big focus for them was underage drinking.

"They really have controlled it. I saw a lot of people getting arrested for drugs and underage drinking and stuff like that. I think they're doing a great job," said Dennis Dobronte from Watertown.

"If you're not 21, just don't drink. Have a good time anyway. It's Dave Matthews!" said Catie Karlskind from East Longmeadow, Massachusetts.

The excitement continues on Saturday with Connecticon at the Convention Center. Organizers say it brings in more than 10,000 comic enthusiasts, many dressed like their favorite characters.

Riverfest will be unfolding on Saturday at the same time as the second DMB concert.

I-84 and I-91 in the Hartford area are expected to see heavy traffic, and during the fireworks show the right lane on the eastbound side of Founders Bridge will be closed.

Last year Riverfest had to be rescheduled due to the rising river, which led to a scaled back event, but that won't be the case this year.

"As a vendor we're happy to be there," said Conor Geary, manager of Ted's Montana Grill. "It'll be the first time we're doing it, and we're excited to have a good turnout this year with good weather."

The packed Hartford weekend means a busy but good time to be at the capital city.

"It's amazing," said Strong. "It's good for Hartford. We need this kind of energy."

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Citizens on Border Kids: I Did That


As he raised his right hand to be sworn in as an American citizen, Will Garcia remembered that he was once one of the children fleeing across the border.

Garcia was 3 years old when his mother sought political asylum in the U.S. from Guatemala. He said she is upset seeing how thousands of Central American children looking for the same thing have found themselves at the center of a national controversy on immigration.

"She cries every night when she sees the news," Garcia said. "She puts herself in that position and says, 'You know what, that was me. I did that.'"

Garcia joined more than 4,300 people who became naturalized citizens in a Los Angeles ceremony on Friday. The ongoing border crisis drew mixed emotions from those who pursued the legal immigration process.

Melissa Arce drove to LA from her home in Murrieta to become a citizen. She said she understands why so many of her neighbors were unhappy with the immigrants who were bused into in their town earlier in July, but she is also sympathetic to the immigrants fleeing violence in their home countries.

"They're seeking asylum. They're seeking a safer environment, so it's a life-or-death situation," Arce said.

For Liz Molina, who is also from Guatemala, the situation is tricky. Molina came to the U.S. with her husband 20 years ago, with her two children joining them later.

"It's really hard because I have kids, you know," she said. "When I came here I left my kids with my mom for a year."

Garcia said with the immigration crisis, things aren't clear-cut.

"Some people, when they are in dire situations, they make difficult decisions," he said.

Emaciated Horses Seized From Redding Home


A 75-year-old Redding resident will face animal abuse charges after two “severely emaciated” horses were seized from her home Thursday, according to the state Department of Agriculture.

Authorities found the two mustangs living in filthy stalls at Lisa Lind-Larsen’s home at 6 Packer Brook in Redding and said the animals were so underweight their bones were protruding, according to a release from the Department of Agriculture.

The department launched an investigation into the horses’ conditions after receiving tips and photographs that the horses were “dangerously underweight and locked in unsanitary stalls for long periods of time with little food and unclean water,” the release says.

It’s not the first time Lind-Larsen has come under fire for possible animal neglect. A complaint was filed in 2011 over concerns about the horses’ weight but was resolved after they bulked up, according to the release.

Lind-Larsen was charged with importing a dog without a health permit and failing to license a dog in April after officers learned that her Airedale puppy had been exposed to a rabid raccoon, the release says. Lind-Larsen pleaded not guilty and the case is currently pending.

The horses, named Chinook and Cheyenne, were taken to the Department of Agriculture’s Large Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation Facility in Niantic on Thursday, where they will remain for the time being.

She adopted two horses from the federal Bureau of Land Management in 2005, and a complaint was filed in 2011 when authorities found the horses to be underweight. The issue was resolved after the animals gained weight, according to the release.

Redding police and Animal Control assisted both investigations.

Lind-Larsen can appeal the seizure of the horses in court. She has not been charged but the Department of Agriculture says officers plan to charge her with animal neglect.

Photo Credit: State Department of Animal Control

Mom Left Young Kids Home Alone While Shopping: Police


A West Haven mother accused of leaving her toddler and infant alone in the family's apartment is facing criminal charges, according to police. 

Anlleila Melendez, 29, left her 2-year-old and 3-month-old children at home while she went grocery shopping and was gone for 40 minutes, police said. 

Police responded to her home on Coleman Street to investigate a report of a child "calling for his mom from a window" for about 20 minutes and found the young children inside unsupervised, police said.

Melendez was gone for 40 minutes and police said she was remorseful when she came home and found her chlidren upset.

West Haven police charged Melendez with two counts of risk of injury to a minor.  

Police are warning parents of the dangers of leaving young children unattended.

In March, a 2-year-old left alone at a home in Putnam choked to death on a piece of food and died, according to police. That child's father and his girlfriend are charged with manslaughter.

Photo Credit: West Haven Police Department

Man Arrested in Death of Mom Found in Woods


A teenager has been arrested in the death of a 21-year-old Long Island mother who was killed and then found in the woods last month, police said Saturday. The news of the charges came hours before hundreds of the Sarah Goode's friends and family gathered to remember her in a memorial on a beach.

Suffolk County police said Dante Taylor, 19, was charged with second-degree murder early Saturday in the death of Goode, a medical technician who was found on June 12 less than a mile from her Medford home.

Taylor, of Mastic, was arrested Thursday in Florida by Suffolk County police homicide detectives and United States Marshals. He was then brought back to Long Island. It wasn't immediately clear whether he had a lawyer.   

Taylor was initially arrested on an unrelated rape charge from 2011 that was developed during the investigation into Goode's murder, officials said, and then charged with the murder of Goode on Saturday.

At Goode's funeral last month, her 4-year-old daughter clung to her mother's photo and rested in her grandmother's arms as the casket bearing Goode's body was escorted by mourners from St. Sylvester’s Church.

More than 200 of Sarah Goode’s loved ones gathered on a Long Island beach to remember her Saturday evening, wearing t-shirts printed with Goode’s face and leaving flowers in the water.

As the family and friends remembered her, some said Taylor had ruined the life of both Goode and her daughter.

“He not only murdered Sarah, but he also destroyed the hopes, the dreams, the laughter, of a little girl and life with her mother," said Patricia Urizzo, Goode’s aunt.

Arrest in Flight Attendant's Death


A United Airlines flight attendant found dead in the trunk of a car in Gary, Indiana, on Monday was allegedly killed by her 17-year-old daughter's boyfriend, according to court documents. 

Damarius Wren, 18, is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of 54-year-old DeCarol Deloney-Cain of Crown Point.

Deloney-Cain's body was discovered in a burgundy 2008 Toyota Solara in a remote wooded area in the 2000 block of East 22nd Place.

According to court documents, the killing took place at the victim's Crown Point home on July 3. Authorities say the daughter was present in the home when Wren attacked her mother.

Wren allegedly lost control, placed a pillow case over Deloney-Cain's head and began repeatedly smashing her head against a staircase in the basement before stabbing her to death. Wren is accused of calling two friends who came over and helped wrap the woman in plastic garbage bags, placed it in the trunk of her car and abandoned it in Gary.
Authorities say police were able to piece the crime together after a friend of the victim was over at the house and noticed blood stains in the basement.

"I do commend the Gary Police Department for coming up with charges as quick as they did," the victim's brother, Todd Deloney said.

More charges could be filed in the case. Wren is being held without bond.

Deloney-Cain worked for United for around 25 years.

21 Shot in Chicago


Following a particularly violent Fourth of July weekend, violence in Chicago continued Saturday with 21 people shot overnight, including three people wounded outside a Northwest Side pizza restaurant.

The shooting took place around 10 p.m. Friday in the 6000 block of West Fullerton Avenue when someone opened fire on three people outside Marco’s Pizza in the Belmont-Cragin neighborhood, according to authorities.

Police were combing through evidence during the evening hours and inspecting a delivery vehicle at the scene.

A 24-year-old man, believed to be a delivery driver, was shot in the back and a 54-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the head. Both were taken to Loyola University Medical Center for treatment. A 15-year-old boy was also wounded in the shooting and was taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital with a gunshot wound to the arm, police said.

At least two people were killed during the overnight shootings.

Just after 8 p.m., four people were shot, one of them fatally in the 5200 block of West Quincy Street. Police said a group of people were standing on the block when a dark-colored sedan drove by and someone inside opened fire.

A 32-year-old man was shot in the head and was pronounced dead at the scene. Another man, whose age was not immediately known, was shot in the arm and refused medical treatment. Police said the man was being uncooperative at the scene.

A 30-year-old woman injured in the shooting walked into Loretto Hospital with multiple gunshots wounds to the body. She was later transferred to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in stable condition, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer.

A fourth victim walked into West Suburban Medical Center with a wound to the hand and was listed in good condition.

The shooting took place just steps away from a parking lot for the Friendship Baptist Church, where churchgoers were celebrating the 117th Church Anniversary, according to the church’s website.

In the weekend’s second homicide, a man was killed and his mother seriously wounded in a shooting in the city’s Chicago Lawn neighborhood.

Police said the shooting appeared to be a domestic incident.
The two were involved in an argument with a man in the home in the 6200 block of South Rockwell Street, according to authorities. Police said the man left the residence after the argument and returned with a handgun, striking both victims in the chest.

A 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene and his 50-year-old mother was in serious condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.

At least 12 other people were wounded in shootings since 6 p.m. Friday.

  • Just before 10 a.m., police said a man believed to be in his 20s was shot in the city's Lawndale neighborhood. The man was shot in the torso in the 3800 block of West Fillmore Street and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, officials said. His condition was not immediately known, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala.
  • Around 4:30am, a 38-year-old man was walked into Norwegian American Hospital with a gunshot wound to the left leg. The man told police he was walking in the 3300 block of West Le Moyne Street when someone fired shots from a passing light-colored, four-door vehicle.
  • Just before 4 a.m., a 22-year-old man was shot in the 9800 block of South Hoxie Avenue. The man suffered multiple gunshot wounds while standing outside in a gangway, police said. He was taken by a relative to Trinity Hospital where he was then transferred to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition.
  • Around 11:45 p.m., a 31-year-old man was shot near Division and Rockwell streets when a vehicle exited an alley and someone fired shots at the man. He was taken to Stroger Hospital with a wound to the upper right back and was listed in stable condition.
  • Minutes later, a 38-year-old man was shot near Rockwell and Evergreen streets. The man told police he was standing in the front yard of a home in the 2600 block of West Evergreen Street when he heard shots and felt pain. He was taken to Stroger Hospital with wounds to both legs and was listed in stable condition.
  • Around 10:40 p.m., two people were shot in the 100 block of West 104th Place. A 21-year-old man was shot in the arm and a 26-year-old man was shot in the upper back. Both were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition, Greer said. The two told officers they were standing on the sidewalk when they “heard shots and felt pain.”
  • At about 7:45 p.m., a 15-year-old boy was shot in the ankle in the 7000 block of South Damen Avenue when someone fired shots at him from an alley. The teen was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition.
  • A 22-year-old man was critically wounded in a shooting around 7 p.m. in the 900 block of South Springfield Avenue. The man was discovered on the street with multiple gunshot wounds to the body and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition.
  • Just before 7 p.m., two men were shot in 2800 block of West Pershing Road in the Brighton Park neighborhood, police said. A 28-year-old man and a 23-year-old man both suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital. Police said the two were standing on the street when someone inside a black vehicle driving eastbound on Pershing Road fired at them.
  • Around 6 p.m., a 23-year-old man was shot in the foot in the 11500 block of South Prairie Avenue. The man transported himself to Trinity Hospital in good condition. He told police he was walking on the block when two men approached him, yelled gang slogans and fired at him.

Daredevils Race in Chicago-Area Bull Run


Chicago-area daredevils tested out their speed Saturday in the first local staging of The Great Bull Run.

The Americanized and tamer version of Pamplona's famous Running of the Bulls took place at Hawthorne Race Course in south suburban Stickney.

Equipped with red handkerchieves that read "The Great Bull Run" the many enthusiasts gathered at the course for their taste of Spain.

"Here we are the courageous few," the group chanted before the event. "To test ourselves in honor of the bulls. We hope to run and survive the day. Yell with us now and say Ole."

The event drew a large crowd of spectators and runners, some in costumes, on the soggy Saturday.

According to spokeswoman Bonni Pear, 4,000 runners and 2,000 spectators pre-registered for the event. Pear also said a large number of "walk-ups" also attended the event Saturday.

"It's a legendary event. Everyone knows about it; it's a bucket list item. But it's the danger that draws people to it. People want to test themselves. They want to see, 'Do I have what it takes to go out there with these massive animals and run alongside of them?'" organizer Rob Dickens said.

Dickens says he came up with the idea after he tried to go to the Pamplona event in 2012 but found traveling to Spain prohibitive.

"You have to book everything about a year in advance, and it costs about $4,000 a person for your flights and all that. So that's when I decided, why not bring something similar here to the U.S. to make it more accessible?" Dickens said.

Event organizers say they wouldn't be using the kind of hyper-aggressive bulls that run in the Pamplona version. The Hawthorne bull run also incorporated a safety fence that participants can climb, and riders on horses will follow the bulls and lasso the animals in case one gets too aggressive.

Last year, officials from the Humane Society of the United States requested an investigation into what they called an "unlicensed event," and complained the event posed a danger to the animals.

But Dickens says that worry is unfounded.

"The federal government did look into what we were doing and said there's nothing to see here. Basically, we don't hit the bulls to make them run, or shock them, or do anything else. It's their natural stampede instinct to run when they see one of their fellows running," Dickens said.

The Hawthorne event falls days after a Chicago author was injured during the Pamplona event.

Aircraft Caught in Tree in East Windsor


An ultralight aircraft got caught in a tree near an East Windsor airport on Saturday afternoon.

The aircraft is stuck upside-down in the area of 52 Wells Road, near Skylark Airpark, East Windsor fire officials said.

The pilot doesn't appear to have injuries, according to the fire department.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.


Man Dies in Hartford Shooting


Police are investigating a shooting that killed a man in Hartford Saturday morning.

The incident happened on Auburn Street near the Westland Street intersection in the north end of the capital city.

People in the area called police at about 5:30 a.m. to report hearing gunshots. Hartford Police Department's ShotSpotter, a system used to detect shots fired in the city, confirmed gunshots in the neighborhood.

A neighbor heard about a half dozen gunshots but didn't see what transpired, the person told NBC Connecticut. Neighbors said that there is a lot of fighting in the area.

Police said that the man killed was in his 20s and that he was shot at least once in his torso. His identity has not been released at this time pending next of kin notification.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Amistad Arrives at New London's Sailfest


The Freedom Schooner Amistad arrived Saturday in New London for Sailfest after the event went on Friday without the replica of the famous slave ship.

The schooner sailed  from New Haven's Amistad Pier to New London along the Thames River, bringing excitement and history to City Pier.

“We are excited to be here. So much work went into making this happen, we’re grateful for the hard work of our crew and everyone that pitched in to make this happen.” Hanifa Washington, executive director of Amistad America Inc. “We look forward to a fantastic weekend at Sailfest."

Free deck tours will run at the top of every hour through 6 p.m., giving visitors information on the history of the Amistad. Hours will be extended if needed, according to a news release.

After threatening to cut funding to the Amistad if the ship did not make it to Sailfest, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said he was pleased the schooner arrived.

"I'm very pleased that the Amistad is making the trip to New London to take part in Sailfest," Malloy said in a statement. "This event draws a hundred thousand residents to the city, and by being there, the Amistad reminds everyone of an important chapter of our state's history."

The fireworks at Sailfest are scheduled to start at 9 p.m. on Saturday and the event continues through Sunday. More information is available on the Sailfest website.




Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live