Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

3 Kids Shocked in Philly Pool


A Friday afternoon swim in a Philadelphia city-owned pool ended with a trip to the hospital for three kids after they were shocked by an electrical current.

Witnesses say about 20 people were splashing around in the O'Connor Pool at 26th and South Streets in the Graduate Hospital section of the city around 1:15 p.m. when the children were hit by the electricity.

A mother, who saw the shocking take place, said a boy was using a metal ladder to climb out of the water when the current went through him. A girl was hurt moments later, she said.

The lifeguard on-duty screamed for everyone to rush out of the water after realizing the danger, witnesses said. They added that the whole ordeal was disturbing.

Firefighters were called to the scene and quickly cut electricity to the pool's lights, pumps and surrounding structures, Philadelphia Fire officials tell NBC10.com.

Philadelphia Fire Executive Chief Peter Crespo said three children, who are all under the age of 13, were taken by ambulance to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. They are all listed in stable condition.

Officials from the Departments of Parks & Recreation and Licenses & Inspections and PECO Energy were called to the scene to find the source of the electricity. PECO crews could be seen testing the water with the pool's filtration system turned on.

Susan Slawson, First Deputy Commissioner of Parks & Recreation, said work was also being done to a motor nearby, but that the cause remains unknown.

"The pool will be closed until we figure out exactly what has happened here," Slawson said.

Crews were draining the pool to try and find the source.

The incident remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

6-Year-Old With Heart Condition Granted Trip to Disney


Six-year-old Amanda Esposito has battled her way through not one, but two open-heart surgeries.

“She was born with five congenital heart defects,” explained her mother, Renee Esposito, adding that Amanda underwent her first operation at just 7 months old.

But today, exactly four months since her second open-heart surgery, Amanda and her family are headed to Disney World, thanks to the Hearts and Courage Foundation, a charitable organization that works to grant wishes for children living with heart conditions.

Amanda’s one wish was to “see the princesses.”

The Espositos will be staying at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge during their five-day, fully funded trip.

It’s a moving experience for the Meriden family.

“I wish I could do it for somebody else. It makes me want to cry,” said Amanda’s father, Tony Esposito.

Renee Esposito said the experience is bittersweet but she’s looking forward to their adventure.

“It’s emotional because of the reason why we’ve been granted this trip, but it’s very exciting,” she explained.

The family is scheduled to return Tuesday night.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fairfield Little League Journeys to World Series


No one will have to ask the boys of the Fairfield American Little League what they did on vacation. TV cameras have been rolling as the 12-year-old All-Stars advance their way to the Little League World Series.

The local boys, led by manager Michael Steed, have a 4-1 record in the New England Regional Tournament and had a 9-0 win against Massachusetts on Thursday.

“We've come a long way. It's been great,” shortstop Brian Howell told the Connecticut Post.

Fairfield American will take on the team from Cumberland, Rhode Island on Saturday night and the winner advances to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

“It feels amazing,” second baseman Jack Steed told the New haven Registerhttp://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140807/fairfield-american-advances-to-new-england-regional-final. “Rhode Island is going to be a tough game; we got to take it one game at a time, one out at a time.”

The Rhode Island team also has a 4-1 record, but Connecticut defeated Rhode Island, 5-3, when they last battled it out on the ball field on Tuesday.

Fairfield American has won twice in the last four years. They won in 2010 and 2012, the  Post reports.

You can follow the team on Twitter.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Car Fire Causes Delays on Route 15 South in Orange


The southbound lanes of Route 15 have reopened following a car fire that shut down the highway near exit 58 in Orange, but state police warn drivers to expect delays in the area.

It's not clear if anyone was injured. No additional information was immediately available.

Group Seeks Donations for Poodle With Leg Amputation


An animal rescue group based in Naugatuck has helped save a toy poodle who was abandoned and needed a leg amputation, but the nonprofit is struggling to cover the cost of the little dog’s medical expenses and is asking for donations to help foot the bill.

The poodle, who’s being called Merlin, was found wandering in the Dayville section of Killingly on July 5, according to the Northeastern Connecticut Council of Governments (NECCOG) Animal Control department.

Animal Control officers advertised the poodle in an effort to find his owner, but when no one came forward, they contacted Poodle Rescue CT, a nonprofit organization based in Naugatuck.

Poodle Rescue CT picked up the dog Wednesday and started nursing him back to health. They were forced to amputate a back leg, which lost circulation when it became entangled in his badly matted hair, neutered him and treated his rotting teeth, according Daryl Masone, a spokesperson for the rescue group.

Merlin, who weighs just over 5 pounds and is 6-8 years old, is recovering, and Masone said she hopes to ultimately put him up for adoption. Poodle Rescue CT is looking for donations to help cover the cost of Merlin’s medical expenses. Masone said the group has already received about $1,400 in donations but is still in need.

You can donate to help Merlin by logging onto www.poodlerescuect.org. Donations can also be sent to the following places:

Poodle Rescue CT
P.O. Box 188
Naugatuck, CT 06770

Dr. Cheryl Sackler
C/O Beacon Falls Animal Hospital
45 Pine Ridge Road
Beacon Falls, CT 06403

Photo Credit: Poodle Rescue CT

James Brady's Death Ruled Homicide


The death of James Brady -- President Ronald Reagan's press secretary who was wounded in the attempt on Reagan's life in March 1981 -- was a homicide, a medical examiner ruled Friday.

Brady died as a result of the grievous injuries he suffered 33 years ago, the Office of the Medical Examiner for the Northern District of Virginia said. That means gunman John Hinckley Jr. could be charged with Brady's murder.

Brady was 73 when he died at his home earlier this week. He had been partially paralyzed and in a wheelchair since the assassination attempt, and his speech was slurred. Brady used his own experience to launch a campaign against gun violence that led to groundbreaking gun control legislation signed into law in 1993.

The medical examiner's office conducted an autopsy and found the cause of death to be the gunshot wound and its consequences, according to a statement late Friday from police detectives in D.C.

Hinckley had been found not guilty by reason of insanity of attempted assassination of President Reagan and of related charges. Brady, Reagan, police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service Agent Timothy McCarthy were shot on March 30, 1981, as they left the Washington Hilton Hotel. Shot in the head, Brady suffered the longest lasting injuries.

Now, the medical examiner's ruling has the potential to open the door to federal murder charges against Hinckley, who is a mental patient at St. Elizabeth's hospital in Washington, said NBC News Justice Correspondent Pete Williams on News4.

"There is no statute of limitations on murder in either the federal or state system," Williams said.

But, he added, "We are a long way from knowing what the federal authorities are going to do with this, or whether they are going to do anything with it."

Williams said prosecutors will have to weigh the likelihood of getting a different verdict on murder charges than they did decades ago on the 13 charges that Hinckley faced after the assassination attempt.

While double jeopardy does not apply in this case, noted defense attorney Ted Williams explained to News4's Jackie Bensen why he believes prosecutors would have an uphill battle.

"So all of the evidence that the government would be able to bring forth, would be the evidence that they had in 1981," he said.

Any charges also could complicate the effort of Hinckley's family, who are trying to get him a permanent leave from St. Elizabeth's, Williams said. In December, Hinckley was granted visits to his mother's home in Williamsburg, Virginia, for up to 17 days at a time. Previously they had been capped at 10 days.

At a hearing in January 2012, a Secret Service agent testified Hinckley went into a bookstore on multiple occasions and paused intently before bookshelves bearing titles on presidential assassinations and Reagan's presidency.

“When an attempted assassin looks at a book with the cover of a person he tried to kill, it's of great concern,” the agent said.

D.C.'s Metropolitan Police and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia both issued statements Friday afternoon, saying they are reviewing the ruling.

D.C. police pointed out that Brady's death increases the number of criminal homicides in the District this year to 71.

Brady's wife, Sarah, said the family had not yet been officially notified of the ruling, but had seen the reports. "This isn't a surprise to anybody or to her, given that his health was impacted and he suffered such consequences over the years," a family spokeswoman said. "If that is the case it is in the prosecutors' hands, and it is up to them."

Sarah Brady is comforted by the outpouring of love for her husband since his death Monday, the family spokeswoman added. "She is feeling great about the sendoff that Jim is getting. She is holding up."

Photo Credit: Getty Images

New Haven Police Make Homicide Arrest


New Haven police have arrest a teen suspected in a shooting that killed one man and injured another.

Police arrested Errol Godfrey-Hill, 19, of New Haven, at his home on Aug. 2.

Police found the victims when they responded to Kensington and Chapel streets at 9:47 p.m. on August 1 after receiving 911 calls.

Police identified them as Tyrese Jones, 26,  and Troy Mitchell, 26.

Mitchell had been shot at least twice and was taken by ambulance to Yale-New Haven Hospital. He remains in stable condition, police said.

Jones, who suffered more serious injuries, died at Yale-New Haven Hospital around midnight.

Godfrey-Hill was arrested and charged with carrying a pistol/ revolver without a permit. After police served a search warrant, they found evidence of the crime and he was charged with assault in the first degree and murder.

Photo Credit: New Haven Police

18-Year-Olds Accused of Shooting at Minor in Hamden


Two 18-year-olds are facing charges after allegedly firing shots at a teen in Hamden, one of which grazed the victim’s clothing, according to police.

Police said the 17-year-old victim had returned to the 900 block of Dixwell Avenue with a friend after attending a party in New Haven the night of Aug. 3 when three people opened fire. The boy was not injured, but police said one of the bullets struck his clothing.

Robert Moye and Brandon Shealy, both 18, were identified a suspects in the shooting. Police obtained arrest warrants for the teens and took Shealy into custody at his home on Shelton Avenue in New Haven. Officers arrested Moye after he was found hiding in a basement on Shepard Street, according to police.

Officers searched Shealy’s home and found a loaded .380-caliber handgun and other evidence linked to the shooting, police said.

Moye and Shealy were each charged with criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault, unlawful discharge of a firearm and carrying a pistol without a permit. They were held on $100,000 bonds and are due in court Aug. 21.

It’s not clear if police are still searching for a third suspect.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police Department

Fairfield Police Bust Suspected Steroid Ring


Police have busted a suspected steroid ring and arrested two people in Connecticut as well as one in New York.

In April, a Fairfield police detective got a lead about illegal sales of painkillers. When they investigated, they found steroids as well and brought in federal agents.

On Wednesday, police in Westchester County arrested Sean Jackson, of Bridgeport, on his way to Connecticut, and searched his home, as well as the homes of Chris Puzzio in Trumbull and Jerry Mazzuoccolo in Derby. 

Police seized raw chemicals in powder form that they said came from China and Russia, large amounts of steroids, HGH, paraphernalia and pill presses. They said they also found cash and weapons.  

Puzzio and Mazzuoccolo were  charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell and with operating a drug factory. 

They posted bond and are due in court Aug 19. 

Puzzio denied being the suspect, then said it was all a misunderstanding and he would be exonerated. 

Police are continuing to investigate. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Youth Football President Stole $7K From League: Police


The former president of Cromwell Youth Football has been charged with larceny after allegedly embezzling more than $7,000 from the league over a period of two years, according to Cromwell police.

Peter Stergos, 45, of Main Street in Cromwell, was arrested today and charged with third-degree larceny. He’s accused of stealing $7,467.01 from the league’s player registration account between May 2012 and July of this year.

Board members reported the alleged embezzlement to police the morning of Aug. 1. Stergos later admitted to using league money to pay his bills and make personal purchases, according to police.

He was held on bond and turned over to court marshals for arraignment, according to police.

"The matter is extremely disappointing, however the program will learn from the issue and take steps to insure [sic] an incident like this never happens again," said Cromwell Youth Football and Cheerleading in a statement Friday. "Cromwell Youth Football and Cheerleading will continue to focus on the development of Cromwell youth and not let the matter interfere with the upcoming season."

Parents watching their kids practice at Pierson Park on Friday said they were taken aback by the allegations.

"He's a good guy, so that's why it's very surprising, very shocking," said Diedra Mention, who has three sons in the program and learned of Stergos' arrest just before practice got underway.

"One side of us is puzzled, confused," she explained. "The other side is very angry, but we're definitely going to look for answers."

Stergos could not be reached for comment Friday.

Photo Credit: Cromwell Police Department

NYC Subways Fumigated For Bedbugs


Another subway was fumigated Thursday after bedbugs were found, making it the fourth time this week a train had to be pulled out of service because of the creepy critters, the MTA said. 

All of the bugs were found on N trains, including in the most recent case. The MTA fumigated the fourth train Thursday; it had fumigated two on Sunday and another Monday.

MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz wouldn't say where on the trains the bugs were found, nor would he say at which point in the line they were discovered.

The Daily News reported some bugs were spotted in seat cushions in train cabs used by conductors and motormen. The paper also reports one conductor's home was infested. 

Ortiz says this isn't the first time the MTA has had to deal with bedbugs, though he said there have been no recent cases. The spike in sightings has some calling for the MTA to fumigate every car on the N line.

The MTA said there are no plans to fumigate the entire N line, but that it has solicited the help of bedbug-sniffing dogs to check out spots where they have been reported.

San Diego Mayor Nixes Wage Hike


Mayor Kevin Faulconer vetoed the City of San Diego’s minimum wage ordinance, saying the measure would make it harder to hire and employ San Diegans who need work.

Faulconer appeared with a group of small business owners and employees and said the city needs to work to create more job opportunities instead of increasing the minimum wage.

"We need to build more ladders, not pull them out of reach," Faulconer said.

"That's what I want... to have San Diego moving forward and not put us at a disadvantage compared to other cities around the county and other municipalities,” he said.

The minimum wage ordinance, approved by a 6-to-3 super-majority last month, would make some 200,000 minimum wage earners in San Diego eligible for an increase over the state's new benchmark of $9 an hour to $9.75 on Jan. 1.

Further wage hikes would be phased in to $11.50 an hour by 2017, followed by automatic inflation escalators.

Friday was the 10th and final day Faulconer could veto the measure.

City Council President Todd Gloria called the mayor’s decision “disappointing” and told NBC 7 that councilmembers will consider overriding the mayor’s veto.

Six votes are needed to override the veto. A vote could be scheduled in the next 30 days.

Faulconer said if the council does override his veto, there will likely be a referendum effort.

Critics say one in six businesses in San Diego would be inclined to move elsewhere if the minimum wage increases occur.

Photo Credit: NBC 7

Bagger, 94, Gets Hours Slashed


Arthur St. John, 94, has worked at Market Basket for 22 years as a part-time employee — but his future is uncertain after his hours were cut by corporate amid the still-unfurling drama between the supermarket chain's employees and management.

"I'm out for a while until they've settled the strike," St. John said.

St. John worked at the Stratham, New Hampshire, location but has been home since his hours were chopped.

Barbara South, another Market Basket employee, calls St. John amazing.

"He gave many hugs, and many customers would see him walking his two dogs," she said.

St. John works three four-hour shifts each week to supplement his Social Security checks.

"I get $125 a week, and everything is taken out. What can you do?" he said.

Although he's out of work, St. John says he's thinking beyond himself and worrying about his coworkers who have to support their families.

"They've got kids, and wife and kids, and out of work. How are they going to support their family? I don't feel right for that," he said.

St. John's attitude about this being more than just a paycheck is the reason behind his coworkers' respect for him.

"This is a man who comes in here — this is his social life, you know, we are his family," South said.

And while it is family drama within the Demoulas clan that sparked the protests, the push for ousted Arthur T. to return to his post as CEO has remained.

"I want him back, because everything was running good then," St. John said.

Workers all say Demoulas was a great boss who helped make Market Basket a great place to work, offering employees profit sharing, good wages and benefits.

They feel he's an irreplaceable leader and refuse to work for anyone else. Demoulas was pushed out of the company by his cousin's allies in June.

Until then, St. John says he'll "sweat it out." 

A GoFundMe page was created Thursday to raise $5,000 for St. John.

Photo Credit: NECN

15-Year-Old Killed in New Haven Triple Shooting: Sources


A 15-year-old boy is dead and two others have been injured in a triple shooting at Congress Avenue and Vernon Street in New Haven, according to a city official with knowledge of the investigation.

Sources familiar with the investigation said all three shooting victims are related and were riding in a Volkswagen Jetta when someone approached the car and fired shots into the vehicle.

The driver managed to get to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where the victims are being treated. It's not clear if the driver is one of the people who was shot.

Authorities have not released any information on the conditions of the surviving victims, who sources say are also boys.

Vernon Street is closed between Congress Avenue and Davenport Avenue while authorities investigate the shooting. Avoid the area.

It's not clear if any arrests have been made in connection with the case.

Check back for updates.

Friends Remember Greenwich Teen


Friends are having trouble accepting the sudden loss of a teenager killed in a tubing accident in Greenwich.

Sixteen-year-old Emily Fedorko died Wednesday. On Friday night her friends and gymnastics coaches reflected on her life.

"I haven't moved on yet. I know a lot of the other gymnasts here haven't," said Sam Aparicio, who's stuck thinking about her friend. "Usually at a gymnastics meet you're focused, you're nervous but Emily was totally different.

She says Emily's radiant smile made her different. While at Darien High School Aparicio competed against Fedorko while she was at Greenwich High School.

"Her energy that she just gave was incredible. You couldn't find someone that was that uplifting," Aparicio said

That uplifting spirit was so sadly taken away from her family and fellow gymnasts this Wednesday when Emily was killed in a tubing accident on Long Island Sound in Greenwich

"She was dedicated. She was disciplined. She was an overachiever," said John Schwartz, executive director of the Darien YMCA. He's known Emily for five years. "If you told Emily she can't do this, she'll do it."

Schwartz says Fedorko started participating in the YMCA Gymnastics program in 2010.

"The whole team is affected by this and we're really trying to rally around Kelsey now and the family," Schwartz added.

Kelsey, Emily's younger sister, is on the Darien team at the YMCA. On Kelsey's instagram she wrote, "Emily Catherine Fedorko...The best sister on the planet. Rest in peace Emily. Love You."

"It's just something that none of us can comprehend happening," Schwartz said.

The cartwheels and somersaults are all done now to rally these athletes and remember their teammate.

"You just gotta think she's in a better place now," Aparicio added.

We're told the Fedorkos are looking to set up a foundation in Emily's name that will hover around gymnastics. Her wake is Sunday and funeral is on Monday.

Photo Credit: Jessica Freiheit

Norwich Man Accused of Punching, Dragging Toddler


Police have arrested the Norwich man accused of seriously injuring a 2-year-old child under his care, sending the toddler to the hospital with a broken femur and carpet burns.

Authorities began investigating after the child was taken to William W. Backus Hospital for treatment on Friday. Police said 29-year-old Anyello Frayind, an acquaintance of the child’s family, was charged with taking care of the 2-year-old boy.

Frayind is accused of dragging the toddler across the carpet, injuring his face, neck and chest, and punching him repeatedly in the leg until it broke, police said.

The boy was transferred to Hartford Children’s Hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, according to police.

Frayind was arrested Friday and charged with second-degree assault and risk of injury to a minor. He was held on a $100,000 bond and is due in court Aug. 21.

Photo Credit: Norwich Police Department

Blind Man Attacked and Robbed, Guide Dog Knocked Out


Hartford police are searching for the three young men they say attacked and robbed a blind man and knocked his guide dog unconscious last weekend.

Francis Shannon, of Sigourney Street in Hartford, was walking his guide dog, Lady, near his home around midnight Aug. 2 when three men attacked and robbed him, according to police.

Shannon suffered minor injuries, and the attackers threatened to hurt him further if he reported the incident to police. He was afraid for his safety and didn’t contact authorities right away.

"They said, 'If you call the cops, we'll kill you,'" Shannon explained. "And they took my money – which I had my rent money, cards my ID – everything was in my wallet."

The attackers also knocked Lady unconscious.

"They hit the dog, knocked her out. I thought she was dead," Shannon said. "She's my everything. I can't go anywhere without her," he added.

The robbers took his cash and ran off. Shannon identified their voices as those of three young men and said he has heard them near Sigourney Street Park and the Williams Grocery Store at 247 Sigourney Street. He told police he suspects they may have been watching and following him.

Shannon was frightened and said he didn't leave the house for days after the attack. He finally decided to call police, who have been helping him get back on his feet and are working to find the people responsible.

"We are pretty effective at making arrests, but in this case, we don't have too much to go on, so we're really asking for any help possible," said Hartford police Det. Patrick O'Gorman.

Officers in the area are being extra vigilant in light of the attack. Anyone with information about the robbery and assault is urged to call Hartford police Sgt. O'Brien at 860-757-4089.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Pedestrian Dies After Car Crashes Into Him


A pedestrian died in the hospital after a car struck him on Wolcott Street on Friday night moments after he parked his car on the road.

Police identified the pedestrian as Ronald S. Perille Jr., 27, of Bristol.

Police responded to the area of 611 Wolcott Road on Friday at 9:24 p.m. to investigate a serious crash involving a pedestrian. Perille Jr. parked his 2009 Cadillac CTS along the western portion of Wolcott Street (Route 69) and was walking east on the road when a Sara Hubeny, 31, of Terryville, ran into him in her 2010 Mercedes Benz in the northbound lane before Tunxis Road, police said in a news release.

Bristol police and paramedics provided medical care to Perille Jr. and brought him to Bristol Hospital, where he died of his injuries from the crash shortly after his arrival police said.

Hubeny was not injured in the crash and Perille Jr.'s Cadillac was not damaged, police said.

Police have not made an arrest at this time.

Bristol Police Department's Serious Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team (START) is investigating the crash. Police ask anyone with information on the crash to contact the department's traffic division at 860-584-3030.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Police Search for Driver Who Struck Pedestrian and Fled


Police are searching for the driver who ran into a 22-year-old pedestrian in Bridgeport and fled the scene early Saturday morning, according to police.

The pedestrian is in the hospital fighting potentially life-threatening injuries after the hit-and-run, according to police.

Police described the vehicle that hit the pedestrian as a "white or light colored Acura Integra with dark tinted windows" and said that it may have a damaged sun roof due to the crash.

A vehicle headed northbound struck the male victim near the Park Avenue and Vine Street intersection when he was crossing the road and the driver didn't stop, police said. The crash was reported to police at about 4:39 a.m.

Witnesses told police that the car accelerated into the intersection while the traffic light was changing and hit the pedestrian, braking briefly after the collision and then fleeing the scene.

The pedestrian is in critical condition, police said.

Police have not made any arrests at this time.

Bridgeport Police Department's serious accident investigation team responded to the site of the crash and the hit-and-run remains under investigation.

Police ask anyone with information on the hit-and-run vehicle or crash to call police at 203-767-4142.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Litchfield Jazz Festival Features Music Legends


After a successful opening night, the Litchfield Jazz Festival continues throughout the weekend with more performances from acclaimed and up-and-coming jazz artists.

Cecile McLorin Salvant and Cyrus Chestnut had people dancing on Friday night under clear skies on the main stage at the Goshen Fairgrounds and jazz aficionados flocked to the Friends Gala.

The fairgrounds opened Saturday at 11 a.m. for more jazzy fun, which will include performances by the Carmen Staaf Sextet at noon, Grammy-nominated trumpet and flugelhorn player Claudio Roditi, a Litchfield Jazz Camp faculty member, and his Brazilian Jazz Sextet at 1:45 p.m., trombonist Curtis Fuller and Friends at 3:30 p.m. and  Anthony Strong at 6 p.m., making his United States debut.

Fuller, who grew up in a Detroit orphanage after his parents died, rose to success after getting a start in music when the U.S. Army "provided his ticket to ride with his membership in a band" also featuring "future jazz stars" trumpet player Donald Byrd and bassist Paul Chambers, according to the jazz festival's website. He moved to New York when he was 23 and recorded his first album, later performing with jazz legends Miles Davis and John Coltrane in the late 1950s, the website stated. You can hear him on Coltrane's famous "Blue Train" album.

Strong studied music at London's Guildhall School of Music, paying for his education through "gigs and sessions with artists like Michael Bolton, Marti Pellow and Beverley Knight," according to the jazz festival website.

Eleven-time Grammy-nominated saxophonist Kirk Whalum, who won Best Gospel Song at the Grammy Awards for his original song "It's What I Do," closes Saturday's lineup with a 7:45 p.m. main stage performance, according to the website. He is also scheduled to do a talk on Saturday from 4:45 to 5:30 p.m.

The music doesn't stop there. Concertgoers are invited to intend an after party and open jam after the last performance.

Litchfield Jazz Orchestra Django Reinhardt Project opens the festival on Sunday at noon in its debut performance, according to the festival's website. Doug Munro, twice nominated for a Grammy and founder of SUNY Purchase College's Jazz program, started the resident orchestra for the festival. The orchestra will play the music of Django Reinhardt, the "Belgian-born French guitarist" known for co-creating Gypsy Jazz, a fusion of "Romani folk music and American swing," according to the website.

Litchfield Jazz Festival and jazz camp board member and bassist/composer Mario Pavone's Street Songs: The Accordion Project is next in the Sunday lineup at 1:45 p.m., featuring the sound of "front stoop" Italian, Portuguese and Polish accordions he remembered from "postwar Waterbury" and cornet, flugelhorn, trombone, tuba, piano, bass, French horn, tuba and drums,  according to the event website.

Sunday's 3:45 p.m. act, Hartford saxophonist and composer Jimmy Greene, named a DownBeat's Critics Poll "Rising Star," is featured on more than 70 albums and has toured or recorded with renowned artists like Horace Silver, Tom Harrell, Freddie Hubbard, Harry Connick Jr., Avishai Cohen and Kenny Barron, Lewis Nash, Steve Turre, according to the festival's website. Now you can hear him close to home performing with his quartet right at the Litchfield Jazz Festival.

Mutli-Grammy nominee and guitarist Mike Stern is scheduled to play for the first time at the festival at 5:30 p.m. with bassist Janek Gwizdala, saxophonist Bob Franceschini and drummer Lionel Cordew.

Soprano saxophonist and flutist Jane Bunnett, who has been nominated for Grammy awards twice and who is known for her "Cuban music and jazz" style, will close the festival with her 7:15 p.m. performance. Earlier in the evening, she is scheduled to do a talk from 4:50 to 5:35 p.m.

Kids from the Litchfield Jazz Camp will also perform at the festival. Other family-friendly events include Kids Zone, artist talks, food, art and crafts displays. Beer and wine will also be sold at the event for the adults.

The festival runs into the evening on Saturday and will reopen on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Tickets cost $79 for a single ticket in the tent and $40 for the lawn. Students 25 and under can get buy lawn tickets for $20. More information on ticket packages and the festival is available on the Litchfield Jazz Festival website.

The Goshen Fairgrounds is located at 116 Old Middle Street in Goshen.

Photo Credit: Anthony Cecena
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live