Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Shell Fishing Ban Lifted After Bridgeport Factory Fire


The shell fishing ban in the Bridgeport area has been lifted following last month's factory fire.

After a raging fire in September at a 2102 Seaview Avenue factory that houses JWC Roofing and Siding, environmental officials were worried that chemical runoff from the factory fire would cause environmental issues.

State Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) officials tested samples of the Yellow Mill river and the harbor in Bridgeport and said that the water had small levels of material from the warehouse where the drums were stored. As a precaution, environmental officials banned fishing along the Bridgeport shoreline from the Fairfield border to Pleasure Beach in Bridgeport and shell fishing from Fairfield to the Housatonic River.

The shell fishing ban has now been lifted.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Keene Cleans Up After Riots


Keene State College students are trying to clean up their campus, and their reputations, after the annual pumpkin festival in the New Hampshire city turned into mayhem Saturday.

Several students who were outside the school Sunday morning told NECN they feel terrible about the distrubances at the Keene Pumpkin Festival.

"We're out here trying to fix the Keene State name," said senior Lauren Faulkner.

"I think it's gone a little too far, and a lot of people are really upset with us this year," said junior Tyler Bissaillon.

The clash between crowds and law enforcement flared up twice Saturday. At least 30 people were injured and around 12 people were arrested in the afternoon, when a party near the college got out of control.

Just before 10 p.m., the riots rekindled when fires were lit and police unloaded tear gas into another crowd that gathered.

Witnesses described the scene as a war zone, saying people flipped cars, tore down lamp posts, lit fires, threw bottles and cans, smashed windows, ripped traffic signs out of the ground and clashed with police in full riot gear.

Those police used tear gas, K-9's and tasers to try and control the crowds.

The Keene Pumpkin Festival is said to draw more than 60,000 people annually. Participants in the event try to set a world record for the largest number of carved and lighted jack-o-lanterns in one place.

Bud Windsor, the head of the grounds crew at Keene State College, says he is disappointed to see the longstanding tradition turn into such mayhem.

"This does not represent what Keene State is all about," said Windsor.

Keene City Manager John MacLean said that 42 people were arrested at the festival Friday night, but he was not sure how many arrests were made Saturday. In past years, MacLean said, approximately 100-125 people were arrested.

MacLean added that bottles and rocks were thrown within the crowd, but not at police. He did not believe anyone had to stay in a hospital overnight.

One person was burned by a firecracker, according to MacLean. That person's condition was unknown.

Windsor, who says he has never seen anything like this in 21 years, explained that it could take up to a week to clean up. He added that his priority is the blue emergency poles on campus that kids ripped out of the ground.

"People were getting, just, absolutely beaten down on the ground, dragged apart," said visitor Jeremiah Wilton. "Everybody was just out of control on both ends. Everyone was furious, and then it just kept escalating and escalating and escalating."

MacLean tells NECN that police showed "tremendous restraint" and never became a part of the problem.

Nashua Police was called in to assist Keene Police Saturday night. Their Special Response Team has been activated.

Most of the injuries during the day were caused by people getting hit by objects, including bottles.

The president of Keene State College says any students involved in the Pumpkin Festival riots on Saturday will be held accountable.

In a statement issued Saturday night, Keene State President Anne Huot said she is "saddened and disheartened" at what happened Saturday.

"We are mindful that Keene State students played a part in this behavior and we intend to hold those individuals accountable for their actions," Huot said in the statement. "We deplore the actions of those whose only purpose was to cause mayhem. And we are grateful for the swift response of law enforcement and first responders who worked to minimize injuries and damage."

Huot also said the outcome of the event "was predetermined a year ago," and she expects that promotion of Keene and the Pumpkin Festival as a destination for "raucous behavior" will only increase unless meaningful changes are made.

“It’s just like a rush," 18-year-old Steven French told the Keene Sentinel on Saturday night. "You’re revolting from the cops. It’s a blast to do things that you’re not supposed to do.”

The city, which already had four times the ordinary number of first responders on for the event, had to call in even more reinforcements.

"We have several resources here, but yes, it was well beyond a normal response," said Keene Fire Chief Mark Howard.

Bystanders describe the chaos as police tried to control the unruly crowd.

"They just started walking on the street, with, like, mace, tear gas and these rubber bullets," said one witness.

"I think this year, it was not as bad as last year, but I think the police are being much more aggressive," said another. "I think the pepper spray was a little much - rubber bullets were a little much.

Howard says officials are looking out for the safety of the community and will remain in the area all night.

"I was in Keene this afternoon and met with our public safety officials and visited the medical tent and other volunteers," wrote Gov. Maggie Hassan in a statement. "We will continue to monitor the situation and provide any assistance necessary to Keene."

According to the school, the large number of visitors to the Pumpkin Festival contributed to the incident.

"One large assembly on Winchester Street drew multiple responses from Keene Police on Saturday afternoon. The college is not able to report on injuries or arrests," said Keene State College in a statement. "These incidents do involve Keene State students, and also visitors to Keene."

The school added that it is communicating with current students and their parents.

Lillian Savage brought her kids to the Pumpkin Festival on Saturday.

"All you could see was smoke, lots of screaming, lots of drunken rage really," she said. "I have been coming here since I was a kid and I loved it and now this. I will never come back - ever."

At this point, there are no official reports of any serious injuries in Saturday's riots.

Photo Credit: @metroincidents

Police Investigate Willimantic Store Robbery


Police are investigating a convenience store robbery that happened Saturday night in Willimantic.

A man entered the Sun Mart convenience store at 1242 Main Street, implied that he had a gun and stole money from the cash register, police said. Officers responded to the scene at about 9:20 p.m. after receiving a 911 call from the store.

The robber didn't display a weapon and ran from the scene with an undetermined about of cash.

The store clerk was not injured in the incident.

Police said the robber is described as being about 5-foot-11 and he was wearing a dark ski mask and black shirt during the robbery.

The robbery happened just a day after an armed robbery at a Cumberland Farms convenience store on Main Street Friday. It is unknown whether the two robberies are connected, but police are still looking for the person responsible for the other robbery.

Willimantic Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division is investigating the store robbery and asks anyone with information to contact the department at 860-465-3135. Calls will be kept confidential, police said.

Man Shot in Car in Hartford: Cops


A man was shot inside his car on his driveway in Hartford early Sunday morning, according to police.

Someone shot him in the arm while he was in his car at his Hamilton Street home at 3:25 a.m., police said. He sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

The man drove himself to Hartford Hospital. There were bullet holes in the car and back window.

Police were on scene at the original shooting site outside a Hamilton Street home and the hospital on Sunday morning. There was crime scene tape up around the victim's car parked outside the emergency room and police were guarding it Sunday morning. It will be examined in the investigation.

No one has been arrested at this time.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woman Rescued From Chimney


A woman allegedly attempting to burglarize a two-story home in Thousand Oaks, California, had to be rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a chimney Sunday morning.

Firefighters responded around 6 a.m. to the 1900 block of Woodside Drive to a report of a person stuck in a chimney, according to the Twitter account of Ventura County Fire Department spokesman Mike Lindbery.

The woman was about eight feet down the chimney, and rescuers had to dismantle the brick structure to get to her, officials said.

The woman was removed from the chimney around 8:15 a.m. and was conscious. She was taken to a hospital for evaluation.

According to the Ventura County Sheriff's Office, the homeowner knows the woman in the chimney. She was expected to be arrested on suspicion of burglary after being evaluated at the hospital.

Photo Credit: Ventura County Fire Department/Mike Lindbery

Police Investigate Fatal Crash


Police are investigating a fatal motor vehicle crash in Stamford that happened Saturday morning.

Angela Lopez, 34, was killed when a car hit her while she was standing next to her husband Rafael Escobar, 27, of Stamford, on the "travel side of the northbound lane" on Hope Street as he filled up the gas tank.

Escobar's 1986 Chevrolet food vending truck had become partially disabled in the lane near Hyde Street, so he stopped to put gas in the tank. Lopez was standing next to him when Victor Medina-Fajardo, 32, of Stamford, crossed the double yellow line from the opposite direction in his 2003 Ford Explorer and hit both of them, police said.

An ambulance transported Lopez to trauma room in Stamford Hospital, but she died Saturday morning due to her injuries.

It's unclear if Escobar was injured.

Charges have not been filed against Medina-Fajardo at this time.

The Stamford Police Department's Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Squad is investigating the crash and will submit the findings to the Stamford State's Attorney's Office "with the request for charges at the conclusion of the investigation," police said.

Police ask anyone with information to contact the department at 203-977-4712.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Investigate Bridgeport Homicide


A man was killed during an altercation in Bridgeport on Saturday night.

Police responded 83 Seeley Street just before 9:30 p.m. on Saturday after receiving a call reporting that someone was injured. Officers found Ivan Rodriguez Mendez, 51, lying in a pool of blood in the road and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police ruled the death a homicide and said it's the 10th one in Bridgeport this year.

Witnesses told police that Rodriguez Mendez was involved in an altercation with one or more other people and that one of them had a knife. Multiple shots were fired during the dispute, witnesses told police.

Investigators are working to determine if the victim was shot or stabbed to death.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Farmington is scheduled to perform an autopsy on his body on Monday to determine the cause of death.

No one has been arrested at this time.

Police ask anyone with information to contact Det. Heitor Teixeira at 203-581-5256.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Freeze Warnings, Frost Advisories Issued in Connecticut


Freeze warnings will be in effect overnight in inland portions of the state and there will be frost advisories along the shoreline as the coldest air of the season moves in, according to NBC Connecticut First Alert Meteorologist Darren Sweeney.

The National Weather Service issued a freeze warning  from midnight until 9 a.m. on Monday in Hartford, Tolland and Windham counties.

Frost advisories have been issued for southern Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex and New London counties from midnight until 9 a.m. Monday.


Tune in and check nbcconnecticut.com and the NBC Connecticut weather app for updates.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Police Investigate Cumberland Farms Robbery


Willimantic police are investigating an overnight armed robbery that happened at the Cumberland Farms convenience store on Friday.

Police responded to the store at 1132 Main Street after receiving a notification that a silent alarm was triggered at 1:57 a.m.

A man with a black handgun demanded cash from a store clerk and stole money from the cash register, the clerk told police. The robber fled on foot.

The store clerk wasn't injured during the robbery.

Police described the robber as short and said he was wearing jeans and a black hooded jacket, police said. He concealed his face with a white bandanna.

Willimantic Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division and K-9 units responded.

Police ask anyone with information to contact the Willimantic Police Department. Calls will remain confidential.

UConn Police Alert Students About Dorm Burglary


UConn police are investigating a burglary that happened overnight into Sunday at a campus dorm in Storrs.

Towers Residential Hall Complex was broken into just after midnight on Oct. 19, according to a campus-wide email UConn police Chief Barbara O'Connor sent on Sunday. The "unknown person(s)" forced entry into a dorm room through a window on the first floor, the crime alert said. The person(s) left without stealing anything and did not come in contact with the dorm residents, according to UConn police.

UConn police have not identified any suspects at this time.

The crime alert asks anyone with information to contact UConn police at 860-486-4800 or to email the anonymous tip line at crimealerts@uconn.edu.

As a precaution, UConn police advise students to lock doors and windows, report suspicious individuals in the dorms or unusual activity to campus police, close building doors behind them and to report any lost dorm keys to the campus locksmith at 860-486-2921. More information on what students can do if they lose their dorm keys is available on the university's website.

Crews Put Out Fire in Woodbridge


Crews responded to a fire on Acorn Hill Road in Woodbridge Sunday afternoon, police said.

The road is closed while firefighters investigate.

No information was immediately available on the fire and the extent of the damage.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

"You Can't Be Afraid": Dallas Takes Ebola in Stride


Nearly three weeks after Thomas Eric Duncan was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital with Ebola, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings was standing at the hospital’s entrance taping a promotion video for the city’s convention and visitors bureau.

"I want to tell you this – Dallas is open for business like never before," he assured would-be visitors. "Now look, you've got to make some decisions but make them based on fact." 

Dallas is safe, he said.

As the city of about 1.3 million people goes about its business, with thousands pouring into the Texas State Fair for its final weekend and fans looking forward to the Dallas Cowboys Sunday football game against the New York Giants, the mayor has his supporters. Ebola is a deadly disease, but the threat of infection for the majority of people is small, residents and visitors said. Still, fears emerge even as they're fast tamped down.

Edward Nash, 40, a cook serving Vietnamese specialties at the Nammi Food Truck parked in downtown Dallas, agreed that the city was ill-prepared for its first Ebola patient. But he thought that since the crisis has unfolded residents have been kept well-informed. Most people never really believed the disease would come to this city – despite the epidemic raging in West Africa, he said. If anywhere, he thought the first case would be recorded in New York City or Los Angeles, a larger metropolis along one of the coasts where more people are entering the country.

"You don’t expect it," he said. "When it happened, it was like, 'Oh, this is not a drill. This is happening for real.' And that's with anything you do, any line of work."

But now that the disease has arrived, he expects health officials to keep it well in hand. Too many things would have to go wrong for a widespread epidemic to take hold as it has in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, he said.

"To happen here in Dallas someone truly has to drop the ball," he said.

Duncan, a Liberian man who traveled to Dallas to see his fiancee, died on Oct. 8. He first went to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept. 25 — and was sent home despite a fever — then returned in an ambulance three days later and was admitted with Ebola.

Two of the nurses treating him have also been diagnosed with the virus: Nina Pham and Amber Joy Vinson. Both have been transferred to one of the country’s centers specializing in treating contagious diseases, Pham to the National Institutes of Health Clincial Center in Bethesda, Maryland, and Vinson to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

Before Vinson was diagnosed, she flew to Cleveland, Ohio, to plan her wedding and back to Dallas.

A second hospital worker who may have handled Duncan’s fluid samples also traveled, boarding a cruise on Carnival ship.  Mexican authorities turned the ship away in Cozumel and the worker went into voluntary isolation. A helicopter was sent to get a blood sample from her on Saturday. Authorities have stressed she has shown no symptoms. 

Health officials have been monitoring 145 people for symptoms of Ebola as a result of direct or indirect contact with Duncan or the nurses. As of Saturday, 14 had completed their surveillance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Nash was not surprised that the workers had left Dallas. He blames a lack of knowledge about Ebola.

"If they honestly thought that they were a carrier, that they weren’t safe, I believe they wouldn't have traveled," he said. "They wouldn't have put themselves around people. They would have quarantined themselves at the hospital."

Nearby, Faye Hooper was eating ice cream from another of the food trucks at Klyde Warren Park. The 57-year-old geometry teacher from Tennessee was visiting her daughter in Dallas and though Ebola had crossed her mind, she said she did not feel unsafe in Dallas. She had read up on the disease, partly to calm her ninth- and tenth-grade students, and knew that passengers not showing symptoms were not contagious, she said.

"I guess I was concerned about it enough to read about it a little bit," she said.

Dallas had the means to protect people properly, she said. More worrisome would be flying with passengers from West Africa, where countries have not been able to control the spread of the virus, she said.

“That would concern me, but no, not just coming to Dallas,” she said.

Even as other communities have closed schools and quarantined teachers, the Dallas schools have remained open. Five students who had contact with Duncan were quarantined quickly. Based on information from the Dallas County Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the district determined there was no need to close any schools, said Andre Riley, the director of news and information for the Dallas Independent School District.

The day after Duncan's diagnosis became public there was about a 10 percent drop-off at the schools the five students' schools, he said. Attendance was back to normal by the beginning of the following week.

"It's a great thing that folks are being monitored," he said. "It shows that there's a heightened level of awareness and our community is taking this seriously."

Two musicians in downtown Dallas, Adontis Barber, 25, and 24-year-old Che Sealy, said journalists were exaggerating the danger.

“They’re blowing it way out of proportion without dispensing the proper knowledge of it,” Barber said. “Why do you have to push it so hard, so fast, so quick all the time?”

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital will have to work hard to repair its reputation after turning Duncan away, he said. Now people are asking whether that occurred because he was a black man, he said.

“That’s the question that’s been itching on everyone’s ears,” he said.

The hospital has denied discriminating against Duncan because of his nationality or lack of health care, and it has undertaken a public relations campaign to restore the city's confidence in the care it provides. It has begun a social media effort using the hashtag #presbyproud, and as the weekend started, nurses and others held a brief rally in support of the hospital. Barclay Berdan, the CEO of the hospital's parent company, Texas Health Resources, has written an open letter to the community acknowledging mistakes and the hospital's lack of preparation an describing changes.

"We have acted aggressively to improve our response and protect the health and safety of our workers and community," the letter reads.

Nonetheless there are signs the city is on edge. Dr. Daniel Varga, the chief clinical officer for Texas Health Resources, acknowledged to The Dallas Morning News that some patients have cancelled appointments. Then on Saturday, a woman fell ill on a Dallas DART train and a station was closed for a time. 

At the State Fair, where cowboy burritos were on sale this year and steers and lambs and goats were on display, some among the throngs admitted to being worried. 

Alana Etheridge, a Dallas resident who works on health-care contracts, said she had given some thought to whether she should attend.

"Should we go, should we not go?" she said.

"Basically you can't be afraid," she said. "I think the best thing is just to be knowledgeable and educate yourself on how it's actually spread. But we have to go to work and we have to go to other public places."

Brenda Willis, there with her husband and two children, said she thought that Dallas had done its best.

"The best they can with what they have, yes," said Willis, 39, an Austin resident works in pharmaceutical research. "Are they equipped with what they need? No."

Few hospitals in the United States are outfitted to treat Ebola successfully, she said. 

Taking a break in the shade, Jacque and Kayla Talley, Arlington residents and mother and daughter who work with mental-health counselors, said they were not afraid. 

Kayla Talley, 19, said she did not think officials were handling the Ebola scare as well as they could. 

"People worry about it because now it's here," she said. "It's affecting us."

Her mother praised the nurses who took care of Duncan, even at their own risk. She refused to stay away from the State Fair, just as she hadn't stayed away after the September 11th terrorist attacks when people were warned against mingling in large crowds, she said.

"I wasn't going to let someone ruin our family tradition," she said. "So no, it doesn't scare me."

Photo Credit: AP
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Police Investigate Plymouth Untimely Death


Plymouth police are investigating an untimely death.

Police received a report of an unresponsive girl under 18 at 211 Main Street in the Terryville section of Plymouth at 9:05 a.m. on Sunday.

The address corresponds to a multi-use building that houses Terryville Pizza, True Value Hardware and some apartments, according to loopnet.com.

Officers responded and an ambulance transported the juvenile to Bristol Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, according to police.

Police have not said whether they believe there is foul play involved or released information on the possible cause.

Plymouth police and the State Police Western District Major Crimes Squad responded to the scene.

More information was not immediately available.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

One Person Shot in Hamden: Police


Police are investigating a shooting on a residential street in Hamden involving one victim.

There is an active crime scene on Circular Avenue.

One person was shot there, police said. There is no word on the person's condition.

Hamden police have the area in front of a couple homes on the street and the road cordoned off with police tape.

The crime scene was still active just before 2 p.m.

Check back for updates.

Talcott Mountain State Park At Capacity


Sunday has been a beautiful day for leaf peeping, so much so that Talcott Mountain State Park was full in the afternoon as droves of people took to the trails on the brisk, sunny autumn day.

The park, home to the Heublein Tower in Simsbury at the peak of hiking trails, stretches through Bloomfield, Simsbury and part of Avon. Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) officials tweeted at 1:30 p.m. that the park was at capacity.

It's not unusual for the park to reach full capacity during fall foliage season, according to DEEP officials. The mountain overlooks the Farmington Valley and is a favorite spot in for locals and tourists to take in gorgeous views of the brightly colored trees.

Did you take any fall foliage photos today? Please share them with us at shareit@nbcconnecticut.com or on Facebook or Twitter (@NBCConnecticut).

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Motorcyclist Skids on Wet Roads, Deflects Off Car: Fire Department


A motorcyclist was injured after slipping on slick roads Saturday afternoon and crashing in Haddam, fire officials said.

The motorcyclist lost control near a busy intersection in the Tylerville section in town, skidded on its side, and bounced upright into a passing car, the Haddam Volunteer Fire Company posted its Facebook page. The motorcycle "glanced" off the car and crashed, fire officials said.

Fire department medical personnel examined the motorcyclist at the scene and Haddam Ambulance transported him to Middlesex Hospital in Middletown to be treated for minor injuries, according to the fire department.

Fire officials caution motorists to be careful when driving on wet roads.

"There are times when it’s dangerous to drive a car on a wet road, but it’s even more dangerous for a motorcycle," the fire department posted on Facebook. "Motorcycles are much more susceptible to hydroplaning than cars because their tires have less tread and tread depth, therefore less opportunity to channel water away."

The name of the motorcyclist injured has not been released.

Photo Credit: Haddam Volunteer Fire Company

Festival Head Takes Reporter's Mic


While confrontations between police and crowds were taking place during the Keene Pumpkin Festival in New Hampshire, a reporter and the festival's organizer had a tense moment captured on television.

Coordinator Ruth Sterling ripped a microphone from Cheshire TV reporter Jared Goodell during a liveshot.

"She's not letting me do my job and to report to you, she would not like me to tell you what's going on at Keene State College," Goodell said.

"This is a family-friendly event. The footprint of Keene Pumpkin Festival is 100 percent safe. We have a bigger crowd than we've ever had. I want them to have a wonderful evening and not be disturbed by people who aren't even at the pumpkin festival," said Sterling after reaching for the microphone. "So if you think that inciting these people is a good idea, I am going to pull the plug on you. Because you are here as a guest of Keene Pumpkin Festival and I assigned you this spot."

Sterling posted the following statement on the Pumpkin Festival's website:

"Yesterday gave us many lessons; sorting them out and learning will take time. There is some thing each of us can to do help. And there is some comfort in remembering Mr. Rogers' wisdom, 'look for the helpers.' In the helpers, there is hope."

Photo Credit: Cheshire TV

Ebola Nurse "In No Way Careless"


The family of Ebola patient Amber Joy Vinson released a statement Sunday, indicating the Dallas nurse had not been careless in the days preceding her diagnosis.

The 29-year-old nurse had cared for Ebola victim Thomas Eric Dunan at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas in late September. According to previous reports, Vinson had worn protective gear while handling Duncan's bodily fluids before his death.

Vinson flew from Dallas to Cleveland Oct. 10, two days after Duncan died, to visit her mother and fiancé and to plan her upcoming wedding, a health official said.

According to her family, she had been in contact with Dallas County Health Department officials, who asked her to report her temperature twice a day after fellow nurse Nina Pham was diagnosed with Ebola. Vinson's family said she asked officials if she could fly back to Dallas a day early and place herself in a 21-day quarantine at the hospital.

"She was told that this was the first request of its kind, but that the agency would consider the option," her family said in a statement. "Once again, Amber was assured that she should not be alarmed and prompted to continue self-monitoring."

She flew back to Dallas Monday, Oct. 13, reported a 100.3 degree fever the following morning and checked herself into Presbyterian Hospital, according to the family. Vinson was flown to Atlanta's Emory Hospital to receive more specialized care following her Ebola diagnosis on Oct. 15.

"Suggestions that she ignored any of the physician and government-provided protocols recommended to her are patently untrue and hurtful," the family statement reads. "Although the majority of the correspondences we have received since her diagnosis have been positive, we are troubled by some of the negative public comments and media coverage that mischaracterize Amber and her actions. To be clear, in no way was Amber careless before or after her exposure to Mr. Thomas Eric Duncan. She has not and would not knowingly expose herself or anyone else."

Vinson's family also said they have retained a lawyer from Washington, D.C., and have asked for privacy.

"The past several days have been the most trying our family has collectively ever faced," they wrote. "We remain intensely prayerful and optimistic about Amber’s condition and of the treatment she is currently receiving. Our prayers and thoughts also go out to Amber’s colleague, Nina Pham, and the Dallas and Ohio communities impacted by this tragedy."

Photo Credit: Twitter

Man Tried to Dig Into Verizon: PD


An attempted burglary suspect is in custody after leading police on a chase through two Broward cities early Sunday morning.

Police say 41-year-old Juan Carlos Cardoso tried to dig a hole into a Verizon store from an adjacent Enterprice Rental Car store at 2222 University Drive in Coral Springs.

"It appears the suspect was most likely trying to make entrance into Verizon, most likely to steal cell phones or commit some type of theft while inside," Coral Springs Police Lt. Brad McKeone said.

The store's alarm went off, prompting Cardoso to flee in a silver SUV. Police arrived as Cardoso was leaving the parking lot and chased him nearly five miles. The chase ended in a residential community near Southgate Blvd. and Sanibel Drive in Tamarac.

Cardoso was arrested after crashing into a police cruiser and two parked cars. Gavin Gordon is one of the owners of the damaged cars, and said it was a shock to see this happen so close to home.

"Something like this doesn't usually happen in this neighborhood," Gordon said. "It's very secluded."

Area resident Kayla Weiss said she witnessed the arrest.

"The cops took him out of the car and he was resisting, he was trying to fight the cops," Weiss said. "So they tazed him. It was insane."

McKeone said one officer injured his leg while arresting Cardoso, and was taken to Coral Springs Medical Center. He is expected to be okay.

Cardoso was transported to Broward Health Medical Center for minor injuries. He was then booked into the Broward County Main Jail.

Cardoso faces seven charges, including aggravated battery on an officer, leaving the scene of a crash, and aggravated fleeing and eluding. Police say he may face more charges from prosecutors. He is being held on more than $21,000 bond. It is unclear if Cardoso has an attorney.

Police believe there may have been other people involved in the attempted burglary. They are asking anyone with information to call the Coral Springs Police at (954) 344-1800.

Photo Credit: Broward Sheriff's Office

2 Arrested in SoCal Student's Death


Two people have been arrested in connection with the death of a Cal State Northridge student whose remains were found alongside a freeway in Riverside County one month after he went missing, police said Sunday.

No further information was released. The Los Angeles Police Department planned on holding a press conference Monday.

Abdullah Abdullatif Alkadi, a 23-year-old international student from Saudi Arabia, was last seen on Sept. 17 at his home in Northridge. His remains were found about 11:50 p.m. Thursday alongside the 10 Freeway near the Cook Street overpass in Palm Desert, police said.

Alkadi sold his Audi to a man he met through Craigslist when we went missing, but police said they contacted the buyer and cleared that person from any involvement in the disappearance.

Cellphone records traced him to Beaumont, a city in which he has no contacts, shortly after he disappeared, Alkadi's cousin Allison Alomair told NBC4 last month.

Refresh this page for updates on this developing story

Christina Cocca contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Los Angeles Police Department
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live