NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Man Arrested in Connection With Bridgeport Shooting


Members of the U.S. Marshal’s fugitive task force have arrested a suspect in connection with a September 2014 Bridgeport shooting and police said the suspect and victim were acquaintances.

On Tuesday, Bridgeport detectives arrested Maurice Earley, 21, of Seymour, on Somers Street in Bridgeport. He was wanted in connection with the Sept. 23, 2014 shooting of Marlon Smith, 23, of Bridgeport, on Iranistan Avenue, police said.

Detective Todd Toth determined that Earley confronted Smith with a gun in the 600 block of Iranistan, police said. The two struggled over the gun and one shot was fired, hitting Smith in the chest.

Smith managed to get the gun away from Earley, who ran and left behind his bicycle and iPad, police said.

Detectives confirmed that the bullet removed from Smith was fired from the handgun police recovered at the scene, police said.

“This was textbook police work. Detectives followed the evidence and our forensics investigator linked the handgun not to just this shooting but to a second shooting in 2014,” Police Chief Joseph L. Gaudett Jr. said in a statement. “

Earley was charged with first-degree assault and carrying a pistol without a permit.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police

Anthem Begins Offering Free Credit Monitoring After Hack


Anthem is now offering current and former policy holders, dating back to 2004, free credit monitoring identity repair assistance after the massive cyber attack.

The company is offering free credit monitoring through AnthemFacts.com, as of 2 p.m. on Friday.

Affected members can start accessing the services before receiving notification through the mail from Anthem, which will be sent in the coming weeks.

The free identity protection services provided by Anthem include:

  • Identity Theft Repair Assistance: Should you experience fraud, an investigator will do the work to recover financial losses and restore your credit. This assistance will cover any fraud that has occurred since the incident first began.
  • Credit Monitoring: At no cost, members can also enroll in credit monitoring, which alerts consumers when banks and creditors use their identity to open new credit accounts.
  • Child Identity Protection: Child-specific identity protection services will also be offered to any members with children insured through their Anthem plan.

Identity theft repair services are available to Anthem members who believe they might have experienced fraud. For members who have been impacted by the cyber-attack, the services are automatically available and do not require enrollment. Visit AnthemFacts.com to learn how to access these services or access identity theft repair services by calling 877-263-7995.

Additional protection is available through credit monitoring services, but a member must actively enroll because you must provide your personal information and consent to have your credit monitored. Enroll at any time during the 24-month coverage period and earn how to sign up at AnthemFacts.com.

Members who do not have access to the Internet or who prefer telephone service may call 877-263-7995 for assistance.

Spanish-speaking members may access information at AnthemInforma.com, or receive assistance in Spanish at 877-263-7995.

Phone lines will be open from 2 to 9 p.m. on Friday, and regular hours are Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

From Monday, Feb. 16 to Friday, Feb. 20, the call center will be open extended hours from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Members who have provided e-mails to Anthem and have opted in to receiving communications may receive an e-mail directing them to visit AnthemFacts.com to sign up for services. This e-mail is scheduled to be distributed the week of Feb. 16 and will not ask for personal information or link to any websites other than AnthemFacts.com.

Anthem said the initial investigation indicates that the member data accessed through the hack includes names, member ID numbers, dates of birth, Social Security Numbers or Health Care Identification Numbers, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and employment information.

The company is in the process of conducting an extensive IT Forensic Investigation to determine which members are impacted and said they are not aware of any fraud that has occurred as a result of this incident.

Policy holders will not need a new member ID card or number, according to Anthem.

Anthem will also offer identity theft insurance. For individuals who enroll, the company has arranged for $1,000,000 in identity theft insurance, where allowed by law.

Photo Credit: AP

Woman Stabbed Boyfriend, Refused to Call 911: Cops


Police have arrested a Hamden woman accused of stabbing her boyfriend twice in the back and refusing to call 911 when he asked for emergency help.

According to police, Anjileik Otey, 30, got into a dispute with her 43-year-old boyfriend at a home on Broadway Street in Hamden on Feb. 12. The argument turned physical and Otey stabbed her boyfriend twice in the lower back.

Police said Otey's 6-year-old child witnessed part of the incident.

According to police, Otey's boyfriend asked her to call 911 and she refused, so he left and drove to a family member's home. He was then taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment of serious injuries.

Police arrested Otey and charged her with first-degree assault, disorderly conduct and risk of injury to a minor. She was held on $150,000 bond and was due in court Friday.

The investigation is ongoing.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police Department

Young Woman Robbed at Gunpoint in Hamden


Police are investigating after an 18-year-old woman was robbed at gunpoint while walking in the area of Goodrich and Newhall streets in Hamden on Thursday night.

According to police, a group of four men confronted the teen around 9 p.m. One of the men pointed a gun at her chest and demanded her personal belongings. He stole her cellphone and credit card before running off toward Winchester Avenue with the rest of the group.

Police said the robber was wearing a gray sweatshirt.

Anyone with information on the crime is urged to call Det. Jomo Crawford of the Hamden Police Department Major Crimes Division at 203-230-4040.

Thieves Steal Elderly Woman’s Wallet, Use Credit Card


Norwalk police are trying to identify the two women who stole an elderly woman’s wallet and used her credit card to buy several things at Best Buy in the city as well as at a Target store in Trumbull.

The wallet was stolen from the victim’s purse when she was at Walmart on Connecticut Avenue in Norwalk on Feb. 7, police said.

Police have released surveillance photos and ask anyone with any information about the theft to call Detective Fitzmaurice at 203-854-3180.

Photo Credit: Norwalk Police

Wethersfield Bank Robbery May be Linked to Vernon Holdup


A $1,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest of the woman who robbed a Liberty Bank in Wethersfield on Friday, and police said she may also be responsible for holding up a Vernon bank earlier this week.

According to police, a woman wearing sunglasses and a winter hat entered the Liberty Bank at 1190 Silas Deane Highway around 11:30 a.m. and handed the teller a note demanding money. She got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.

The suspect stands between 5 feet 6 and 5 feet 8 inches tall and was wearing dark clothing and black gloves at the time of the robbery.

The Connecticut Bankers Reward Association is offering a $1,000 reward in exchange for information leading to an arrest.

Wethersfield police said they're working alongside Vernon police to determine whether Friday's robbery is connected to a similar incident in Vernon on Tuesday.

Anyone with information is urged to call Wethersfield police Det. Morris at 860-721-2869.

Photo Credit: Wethersfield Police Department

Vernon Man Pleads Not Guilty to Sexually Assault


A 25-year-old man accused of sexually assaulting a female acquaintance at a home on High Street in Vernon has pleaded not guilty and is due back in court in April.

Police said Eric Allen, 25, of Vernon, "forcibly sexually assaulted" the woman around 10:20 a.m. on Jan. 15.

The woman was taken to Rockville General Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries sustained during the alleged attack.

Authorities have not elaborated on the relationship between Allen and the victim, but said they have charged Allen under domestic violence laws.

Allen was arrested at his home on Village Street and charged with first-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault, second-degree strangulation, interfering with a 911 call, unlawful restraint and breach of peace.

Police also served an outstanding warrant charging Allen with second-degree failure to appear.

He is due back in court on April 10.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police Department

Plainville Mom Pleads Not Guilty to Assault of Infant


A Plainville mom arrested after her 2-month-old son was found unconscious and airlifted to the hospital in critical condition in December has pleaded not guilty and is due back in court next month.

Caitlin Knight, 27, was arrested Wednesday on charges of first-degree assault and risk of injury to a minor. She pleaded not guilty in court Friday.

Her baby son remains in critical condition at Connecticut Children's Medical Center with serious head injuries, according to police.

The infant was airlifted to the hospital Dec. 17 after he was found unconscious at Knight's home on Stillwell Drive in Plainville. Police said the baby did not have a pulse when medics arrived, but emergency responders were able to revive him.

Medical personnel took the baby to the Hospital of Central Connecticut in New Britain. From there, LifeStar airlifted him to Connecticut Children's Medical Center, according to police.

"My heart sank. It made me sick to my stomach. I mean, it's a baby," said neighbor Lexi Cheatham.

Investigators were initially told the infant was injured in an accidental fall, but police said Wednesday the "injuries were not consistent with such an accident."

"I can't imagine something that serious being an accident," Cheatham said. "There's nothing in this world a baby can do that would cause anybody to logically want to do that sort of damage to anybody, let alone an infant."

Knight was originally hold on $250,000 bond, but the bond amount was increased to $1.8 million.

No one answered the door at her home in Plainville on Wednesday evening.

She is due back in court on March 18.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Plainville Police Department

Man Who Robbed Target Suspected in Other Robberies: Cops


Police have arrested two men accused of stealing from a Target store in Newington at gunpoint on Thursday and said one of them is suspected in more than three other recent robberies in the area.

Michael Kozak, 59, of Newington, and Steve Ford, 60, of Plainville, have been arrested on robbery charges and related offenses, according to police.

Police said Kozak entered the Target at 3265 Berlin Turnpike around 1 p.m. Thursday, took out a handgun and demanded money from the customer service desk.

He and Ford got away in a Nissan Maxima, which was later found parked at a nearby motel on the Berlin Turnpike, according to police.

Kozak is suspected in three additional armed robberies that happened in Newington over the past three weeks, according to police. He has also been linked to holdups in surrounding towns.

Kozak has been charged with first-degree robbery, fourth-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit the above and interfering with police. He waas held on $250,000 and was due in court Friday.

Ford was charged with fourth-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery and fourth-degree larceny and possession of a hallucinogenic substance. He was held on $50,000 bond and was presented in court Friday.

Anyone with information is urged to call Newington police Det. Shannon Gonzalez at 860-594-6217 and reference case number I20150442.

Photo Credit: Newington Police Department

Bridgeport Declares Snow Emergency Ahead of Storm


The city of Bridgeport has declared a snow emergency starting at midnight Friday into Saturday ahead of a weekend storm that could bring several more inches of snow to the state.

Bridgeport's fleet of 30-35 snow plows and other equipment will be on hand to begin clearing roads as soon as the snow beings to fall. Private contractors have also been placed on standby, according to the mayor's office.

Parking is prohibited on snow emergency routes throughout the snow emergency, and cars are required to park on even-numbered sides of other city streets.

Residents in need of a place to park can take advantage of the following locations:

  • All school parking lots during off hours through Monday night
  • Parking lots across the street from the Ballpark at Harbor Yard
  • The North End Library at 3455 Madison Avenue
  • The Veteran's Memorial Park entrance off Madison Avenue
  • The municipal parking lot at the corner of Fairfield Avenue and Jetland Street
  • The Bridgeport Health Department at 752 East Main Street
  • The parking lot adjacent to the former Waltersville School at 95 Gilmore Street

The city has been in contact with United Illuminating to prepare for the possibility of downed wires and power outages due to anticipated winds of up to 50 mph, according to a spokesperson for the mayor's office.

Those in need of emergency shelter are urged to call 211. More information is available online or by calling the Bridgeport Emergency Operations Center hotline at 203-579-3829 or 203-576-1311.

Crews Respond to 2-Alarm Fire in Danbury


Some 20 fire units battled a two-alarm blaze at 20 White Street in Danbury late Friday afternooon, according to the fire department.

Fire officials said the fire broke out around 3:45 p.m. Friday and was quickly extinguished. No one was hurt.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Monica Garske

Thieves Smash Car Windows in North Haven


Police in North Haven are warning residents after thieves smashed the windows of cars parked in a commuter lot on Devine Street and stole tools from contractor trucks on Universal Drive and Washington Avenue.

North Haven police said the break-ins have occurred over the past couple days. Authorities are working to identify and track down a suspect.

Police are reminding contractors to lock their cars and park overnight in well-lit, commercial areas whenever possible. Avoid leading valuables in plain sight and report any suspicious activity to police right away.

Man Sentenced in Murder of Student From New Milford


A former Boston man has been sentenced to 18 to 20 years in prison for the 2008 murder of a Northeastern University student from Connecticut who wasn't his intended target.

Cornell Smith, 33, was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in Superior Court in Boston to reduced charges of voluntary manslaughter and unlawful firearm possession in the killing of Rebecca Payne, 22, of New Milford.

Prosecutors said Smith invaded Payne's Boston apartment after climbing onto a second-floor balcony at 3:30 a.m. and opened fire at her. Authorities said Smith mistook Payne for another woman with whom he had fought days earlier in the same building.

Payne's parents talked during the hearing about the pain of losing their daughter.

Smith said his pleading guilty was best for everyone.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Vaccine Offered After Yale Student Tests Positive for Meningitis


Yale Health is offering vaccines to all members of the university community after an undergraduate student tested positive for serogroup B meningococcal disease, a form of bacterial meningitis.

The student was hospitalized after developing symptoms last week, according to Yale Health. Laboratory tests have since confirmed the diagnosis.

Although federal law requires all incoming students to receive meningitis vaccines, the required vaccination does not protect against serogroup B, Yale Health said.

The health center is now offering a new vaccine that will do just that.

“With a single case on campus, federal, state, and local health officials do not recommend mass vaccinations, but we are prepared to offer the new vaccine to anyone in the Yale community who wishes to be vaccinated,” Yale Health said in an advisory Friday.

The new vaccine will be available starting Feb. 17 and includes two inoculations to be received a month apart, according to Yale Health.

UConn students and employees insured by Yale Health can receive the vaccine for free, while those with other health care providers that do not cover the cost will pay $256 for both rounds.

Serogroup B occurs sporadically and one case is not indicative of an outbreak, according to Yale Health. Although contagious, the disease is spread only through prolonged close contact with a patient.

To schedule an appointment to receive the new vaccine, call 203-432-0076.

More information on meningitis is available by calling the meningitis hotline at 866-924-9253 or visiting the Centers for Disease Control website.

Massive Snow Fort Attracts Admirers in Canton


A giant snow fort is attracting admirers to a home in Canton.

The colossal structure now spans several properties on Gildersleeve Avenue, and if there were a king of the snow forts, Brian Demski might be the winner.

“Once you’re out here, you get used to the cold and I get building with the blocks, it just brings me back to being a little kid, and I think we’ve all forgotten how to be a little kid. We’re tied up with social media, work and bills,” said Demski.

He explained that the grand fort started with humble beginnings as a practical way to keep snow on the property from falling back into the street.

But now his motivation is the admiration from adults to kids who stop by to get a look.

“If you could have had a picture of that kid’s eyes and the smile on his face, that was worth doing it right there,” said Demski.

Demski said the fort has taken four days, about 35 hours, and countless blocks of snow to build.
He might be one of the few Connecticut residents in favor of more winter weather.

“As long as people showing up and giving me thumbs up, liking it on the computer, I’m just going to keep building it down the street,” said Demski.

He said the wind has not been good for building, as it dries out the snow and makes it hard to pack and stack blocks.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Inmate Shot in DFW Airport Restroom


A Tulsa County, Okla., sheriff's deputy shot a prison inmate inside a men's restroom at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport on Friday evening, authorities say.

The deputy was accompanying the prisoner during an extradition from Utah to Oklahoma when the two got into an altercation in a restroom in Terminal C while waiting for their connecting flight at about 5 p.m.

The prisoner, identified as 34-year-old Brent James Taff, emerged from a bathroom stall and began assaulting the deputy, striking him numerous times in the face and head, according to a statement from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office.

The deputy shot Taff in the hand and the thigh, and Taff then ran from the restroom toward the C10 security checkpoint.

***WARNING SOME MAY FIND THIS IMAGE GRAPHIC - Click Here for Witness Photo of Prisoner Shot at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport***

A second deputy who was stationed outside the restroom tackled Taff, and DFW airport police along with TSA officials helped her get the prisoner under control.

"There was a lot of blood. The guy collapsed, then they came and rushed him and told everyone to move and step back," said David Villegas, who witnessed some of the scene.

The prisoner and injured deputy were transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment of their injuries, according to a statement from the airport.

The deputy was released from the hostpital Saturday at 2 a.m. and is in fair condition, according to Major Clark, the Public Information Officer for Tulsa County. Three deputies were sent Friday night, and they will all be returning to Oklahoma Saturday afternoon.

Fort Worth Police took over gaurding the prisoner. Dallas County will take over gaurding the prisoner on Saturday afternoon. Oklahoma deputies will not be guarding the prisoner.

Major Clark says that Taff's injuries are non-life threatening, but he is expected to be in the hospital for a long period of time due to the severe damage to his hand.

No one else was injured.

No one else was injured.

DFW Airport police closed the area near the C10 security checkpoint as part of the investigation.

American Airlines, the only carrier with flights operating in Terminal C, said a few flights were delayed by no more than 15 minutes, and by 6:30 p.m. all operations were back to normal.

Authorities said Taff has a lengthy criminal history dating back to May 1996, including numerous arrests for violation of a protective order. Most recently, Taff was arrested in October 2014 for violation of a protective order, stalking, kidnapping and threatening violent acts.

And in January he was accused of threatening to kill a judge, an assistant district attorney and his soon to be ex-wife, according to court documents.

Taff will be facing charges in Texas before heading back to Oklahoma because the shooting happened in Texas. Along with state charges, Taff could face federal charges as well since the shooting happened at the airport. All of the charges are still pending.

Other deputies arrived in Dallas Friday evening from Tulsa to guard the suspect in the hospital and transport him back when he is released.

NBC 5's Scott Gordon, Bianca Castro, Ray Villeda and Ben Russell contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

UConn Lab Manager Convicted of Sex Assaulting Disabled Person


A 51-year-old lab manager at the University of Connecticut has been convicted on charges of sexually assaulting a disabled person, according to the district attorney in Middlesex, Massachsuetts.

Marcus Giotto, of Marlborough, Massachusetts, began working at UConn in 2006 as a postdoctoral student and was brought on as lab manager in 2008, according to a spokesperson for the university.

He's listed on the UConn Institute of Material Science website as manager of the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance facility in Storrs.

The Middlesex district attorney said Giotto was arrested in 2013 and was convicted last week on two counts of indecent assault and battery on a person with an intellectual disability.

He was placed on house arrest and GPS monitoring pending his sentencing March 2, according to the Middlesex district attorney.

Stephanie Reitz, a spokesperson for UConn, said Giotto is on administrative leave and declined to comment further citing a personnel matter.

Photo Credit: University of Connecticut

Teen Struck by Car While Crossing Street in Torrington


A 14-year-old was rushed to the hospital Friday night after being struck by a car while crossing East Elm Street in Torrington, according to police.

Police said the teen, who suffered non-life threatening injuries, was not using a crosswalk at the time of the crash around 4:30 p.m. The incident happened near the Walgreens at 28 East Elm Street, according to police.

The teen was taken to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital for treatment.

No additional information was immediately available.

NYC Marks 1st Homicide-Free 11 Days


New York City has hit a record for the longest homicide-free stretch since the NYPD began tracking that data in 1994.

The NYPD says it’s been 11 days since the city has seen a murder.

Police say 10-day, homicide-free stretches have happened before, including one period in 2014, but this is the first recorded 11-day stretch.

The last recorded murder in the city happened at a Hamilton Heights deli on Super Bowl Sunday, according to the New York Post.

A 28-year-old man was shot in the head and four others were injured.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Connecticut Subcontractors Help Boston Dig Out


A team of three dozen subcontractors working for a Windsor-based company headed to Boston on Thursday to help the city dig out from under record snow totals.

According the Butler Company, located on Marshall Phelps Road in Windsor, the crews brought up several Bobcats and loaders and expect to stay the weekend.

Workers will return to Connecticut on Monday to help with cleanup efforts at home after this weekend's storm and will then return to Boston mid-week.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live