Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

WATCH: Bobcats Brawl in Restaurant Parking Lot


Have you ever seen anything like this? These two bobcats went back and forth in a restaurant parking lot Wednesday afternoon, seemingly oblivious to the onlookers who gathered to watch.

The camera was rolling when the cats went head to head outside the Olive Garden restaurant near Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester. Evan Shaw-Mumford captured the encounter around 4 p.m.

According to the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, bobcats have been spotted in all eight Connecticut counties, but are most common in the northwest corner of the state.

Bobcats are usually stealthy and most active at dawn and dusk. They tend to stay hidden, so spotting them out in the open like in Manchester today is unusual.

DEEP spokesman Dennis Schain said heavy snow accumulations may have prompted the cats to leave their comfort zone in search of food.

Photo Credit: Evan Shaw-Mumford

Coyotes Hiding Under Decks, Attacking Dogs in Stamford


Police in Stamford are warning homeowners about coyotes that are lurking into backyards, hiding under decks and attacking dogs as they're let out.

According to Stamford police, the coyotes are driven by a lack of food and shelter.

A spokesperson for the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said wild animals may be wandering into residential and commercial areas as heavy snow forces them from their usual habitats.

Stamford police said they have received several calls from homeowners whose pets were attacked.

"Please be aware of your surroundings before letting your pet outside!" police urged in a Facebook post Thursday.

Amtrak Passengers Stranded More Than 2 Hours


Power problems stranded nearly 300 commuters aboard an Acela train bound for Boston, which ground to a halt in Stonington on Thursday evening, according to a spokesperson for Amtrak.

Amtrak officials said train No. 2164 lost power in Stonington around 6:25 p.m. Although the cause is still under investigation, a railroad spokesperson said ice and snow coating overhead power lines is likely to blame.

The train was heading from Washington, D.C. to Boston and was scheduled to arrive at 6:34 p.m., according to the Amtrak website.

Passengers said they saw sparks out the window as the power fizzled out. They were food, toilets and overhead lights for more than two hours as they waited to transfer trains.

A spokesperson for Amtrak said a rescue train arriving on the adjacent track also lost power. A second relief train, No. 176 on the Northeast Regional line, arrived around 9:45 p.m.

Passengers were expected to arrive in Boston at 11:02 p.m., according to a status report on the Amtrak website. The relief train was originally scheduled to arrive in South Station at 8:12 p.m.

Photo Credit: Yonatan Grad

Harrison Ford Hurt in Plane Crash


Harrison Ford's family says the actor is "battered, but OK" after crash landing a single-engine vintage plane onto a Venice golf course shortly after takeoff Thursday.

Ford,  an experienced pilot, was hospitalized and expected to undergo surgery for some injuries. His family said he is in stable condition.

"He is every bit the man you would think he is. He is an incredibly strong man. Thank you for all your thoughts and good vibes for my dad," Ben Ford, the actor's son, posted on his Twitter page.

Ford reported engine trouble shortly after takeoff and tried to return to the airport, according to the NTSB. His publicist said he was flying a World War II vintage plane at the time.

"He had no other choice but to make an emergency landing, which he did safely," his publicist said in a statement. "He was banged up and is in the hospital receiving medical care. The injuries sustained are not life threatening, and he is expected to make a full recovery."

Dr. Sanjay Khurana, a spinal surgeon on the course, braved a potentially explosive situation to help the actor.

"I did a brief exam and I smelled the fuel and I didn't want it to ignite," he told NBC4.

As he was examining the pilot, the doctor realized he was looking at a familiar face.

"I watched 'Star Wars' as a kid. I think we all did, right? 'Raiders of the Lost Arc' ... iconic films.

"I wanted to do my best. I tried my best to help someone in distress."

Aerial footage of the minutes after the crash showed the small single-engine vintage World War II trainer plane crashed on the ground at Penmar Golf Club. One person could be seen being treated by paramedics.

Fire and NTSB officials said the emergency landing was handled skillfully, and no one else was injured.

Firefighters described his injuries as "moderate."

In a 2008 interview with National Geographic, Ford talked about his love of flying.

"I fly myself everywhere. I like all kinds of flying, including practical flying for search and rescue. And I also like to fly into the backcountry, usually the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho," the "Indiana Jones" actor told the magazine. "I go with a group of friends, and we set up camp for about five days and explore little dirt strips and canyons."

He also recalled helming a helicopter when it was forced to crash.

"Well, there was a mechanical failure while we were practicing power recovery autorotations. It was more or less a hard landing," he recalled. "Luckily, I was with another aviation professional and neither of us was hurt — and both of us are still flying."

The cause of Thursday's plane crash is not yet known.

Witnesses saw the plane clip a tree before coming down.

"We saw this beautiful plane. It looks like a plane I see often, leaving from Santa Monica Airport," said Howard Teba, who was at the golf course when the plane crashed. "Must have hit the top of a tree."

Teba said it appeared that the pilot was the only person on board the plane. Two men who are apparently doctors were golfing at the time and came to the actor's aid, Teba said.

The plane crashed on the golf course just west of the airport shortly after takeoff from the Santa Monica Airport, according to Ian Gregor of the Federal Aviation Administration.

Ford's career in Hollywood took off after he starred as Han Solo in "Star Wars" in 1977, but it was his role as the adventurous protagonist in the "Indiana Jones" movies that became his most iconic.

After six decades of acting, the actor still stars in blockbuster hits like the baseball sports drama "42" and has signed on for another film reprising his futuristic thriller "Blade Runner."

Crash Closed Lanes of I-95 in New Haven


An early-morning crash on Interstate 95 North in New Haven caused lanes closures for several hours.

According to police, a tractor-trailer and a car crashed between exits 46 and 47 around 1:45 a.m.

The three right lanes were closed for hours as police investigated but have since reopened.

There are injuries to report.

Details are minimal at this time. We will bring you more details as they become available.

Officer Slain at GameStop Wanted to Reward Son for Good Grades


Slain police officer Robert Wilson III was getting a gift to reward his young son when he was gunned down trying to protect people inside a North Philadelphia video game store, authorities said Friday. 

"He was making a security check and he was also picking up a gift for his 8-year-old son who had done exceptionally well at school," said Philadelphia Police Homicide Capt. Darrell Clark.

Wilson, an 8-year veteran from the 22nd District, died from his injuries after he was shot several times at close range late Thursday afternoon during an attempted robbery inside the GameStop store at Hope Plaza Shopping Center at 2101 W. Lehigh Avenue. The 30-year-old father left behind two young children, ages 8 and 1, as well as a grandmother. The older boy turns 9 on Monday.

The officer was standing in full uniform by the store's counter when two men — identified by police as brothers Carlton Hipps, 30, and 26-year-old Ramone Williams — entered the store around 4:30 p.m.

Wilson and the brothers "engaged in a fierce and violent gun battle" that resulted in the officer being shot multiple times, Clark said. He was killed by one shot to the head.

"The officer was a hero and a warrior — he fought until the very, very end — firing at both of them," Clark said.

Police charged both suspects with first-degree murder in Wilson's' death and attempted murder for attacking his partner, Officer Damien Stephenson.

Stephenson exchanged gunfire with Hipps as the suspects left the store, striking Hipps once in the leg. In total, more than 50 shots were fired in about 30 seconds.

Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey, who watched video of the deadly exchange, said the officer "redefined what being a hero is all about."

"He stepped away from the counter, there were civilians there ... he stepped away so that the shots weren't going directly at them," said Ramsey. "He was actually being hit during the exchange of gunfire but he continued to fight, continued to shoot."

Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams also hailed both Wilson and Stephenson, as heroes, saying Wilson "was trying to protect all the citizens that were inside of that GameStop."

After the shooting, Ramone Williams re-entered the store and attempted to change — telling customers and employees to not identify him — in hopes to blend in with the crowd, according to investigators.

Witnesses pointed him out to police which led to his arrest. He later confessed to the robbery and shooting saying he and his brother chose the store thinking it would be an easy target, said Clark.

Both suspects are no strangers to law enforcement. Hipps, who has six previous arrests, and is on parole after being released from prison in 2009, while Williams has two previous arrests.

Police recovered the suspects' weapons at the scene of the shooting, a .40-caliber and a 9mm. One of the weapons had an extended clip, allowing the suspect to fire more rounds than usual, officials said. Investigators said they were illegally sold on the street.

Police also recovered an AK-47 rifle from the Brewerytown home the brothers shared.

"Those two cowards that took his life were pure evil," said the district attorney.

Ramone Williams was arraigned Friday afternoon and is being held without bail. His brother, Hipps, has yet to be arraigned since he's still hospitalized.

Wilson along with his partner were part of the group of 22nd District Officers who volunteered to participate in the trial run of the Philadelphia Police body camera program. During a December interview, Wilson told NBC10 he wanted to work to rebuild trust between police and the community.

"It's less negative reaction from the community," Wilson said. "They're recording us and we're recording them also."

Police said Wilson wasn't wearing a body camera when he was gunned down.

Investigators remained at the store Friday trying to melt snow outside in hopes of uncovering more clues.

Wilson's partner and fellow 22nd District officers were given leave so they could grieve, said Ramsey.

Funeral plans are pending. A memorial mass is being held 10 a.m. Sunday at Saint Martin de Porres Church along Lehigh Avenue in North Philadelphia.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Footprints in Snow Led Police to Domestic Assault Suspect


Footprints in the freshly fallen snow led police to find a man who they said is accused of choking and assaulting his fiancée in Plainfield.

Police responded to Main Street in the Moosup section of Plainfield just after 8:30 a.m. on Thursday to investigate a domestic disturbance and the victim told them that her fiance, Andrew Olson, 28, choked and assaulted her.

The victim was able to escape from the home during the attack and went next door to a neighbor’s home for help, leaving her 1-year-old, 4-year-old and 6-year-old children inside the house with Olson, police said.

Before police arrived, Olson had run from the home, south on Main Street, police said.

The fresh covering of snow yesterday provided police with a trail, half-a-mile away and into the woods, where they found Olson and apprehended him.

Olsen was arrested and charged with three counts of risk of injury to a minor, disorderly conduct, third-degree assault, violation of a protective order, third-degree strangulation, unlawful restraint and interfering/ resisting arrest.

He was held on a $50,000 bond and will be arraigned at the Danielson Superior Court on March 6.

Harford Water Main Break Affected Bushnell


Repairs to a broken water main on Capitol Avenue in Hartford were completed just before 9:30 a.m. , according to MDC.

There was a 6-inch water service line leak at 166 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, according to MDC, and the Bushnell Performing Arts Center was affected.

The 8-inch main, installed in 1929, was shut down from 10:10 p.m. on Thursday to 9:25 a.m. on Friday. 

The road is expected to reopen around 11 a.m.

More Testimony in Hernandez Trial


A crime lab expert testified Friday that a marijuana blunt found at the scene where Odin Lloyd was killed had DNA from both Lloyd and Aaron Hernandez.

The blunt, found near Lloyd's body, places Hernandez at the crime scene, prosecutors say.

Massachusetts State Police crime lab scientist Diane Biagiotti confirmed that both men's DNA were found on the blunt.

"The DNA profile from Aaron J. Hernandez is consistent with this DNA profile," said

Hernandez's DNA was also found on a spent shell casing retrieved from an Enterprise Rent-A-Car dumpster, according to Biagiotti. Prosecutors say it was thrown away by an employee cleaning Hernandez's rental Altima after Lloyd's murder.

But the defense is aggressively fighting back.

Defense Attorney James Sultan argued that five other casings at the crime scene didn't have enough DNA to profile, and that the only one that did had Hernandez's chewing gum stuck to it.

"Would you agree with me, Ms. Biagiotti, that it's a high likelihood that the DNA contained in the saliva in the chewed blue chewing gum would be transferred to that shell casing attached to it?" asked Sultan.

"Yes," said Biagiotti. "I'd agree with that."

On top of that, the crime lab expert testified that, to her knowledge, her lab never tested the blue bubble gum.

However, in another link big for the prosecution, Biagiotti also confirmed both Hernandez's DNA and Lloyd's DNA were found on this blunt - - found at the crime scene.

Photo Credit: NECN

Record Cold, But Warmer Next Week


Temperatures on Friday morning tied the record cold of 10 degrees in Bridgeport for this date, but more seasonable weather is on the way. We just have to be patient for a little while longer.

The average temperature for this time of year is around 44 degrees, and we’re moving in the right direction, with the high temperature of 42 expected on Tuesday and an increasing warmup on Wednesday and Thursday.

While we have a couple more days of 20- and 30-degree weather, one bright note is the lack of snow in the weekend forecast for the first time in several weeks.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Metro North Service Back to Normal


Trains on the New Haven Line, Hudson and Harlem lines on Metro-North were late on Friday morning, but are now running close to schedule.

They were running 30- to 60-minutes late in and out of Grand Central Terminal because of disabled trains at Harlem 125th Street and in the Park Avenue Tunnel.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Manchester Dad Gets Sons, Neighbor to Safety After Smelling Smoke


Everyone is OK after a father smelled smoke at his Manchester home on Friday morning, got his two sons out of the house and alerted the neighbor in the duplex. according to fire officials.

The fire 41 Bissell St. in Manchester started around 8 a.m., according to fire officials.

There were no working smoke detectors in the house, but the father woke to find light smoke in his bedroom, which is located on the second floor, according to a news release from the fire department.

The fire was primarily contained to the back bedroom, but the family will not be able to return to their home because of heavy damage and the American Red Cross is assisting four adults and three children from the two families.

Firefighters were quickly able to get the fire under control and noted that all residential propertes need working smoke detectors on all levels of the home.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Reality Star on LaGuardia Flight: I Was Terrified When Jet Slid


A reality TV star sitting in the first row of the Delta plane that skidded off the runway at New York's LaGuardia Airport during landing on Thursday said she knew something was wrong as soon as the plane made contact with the runway and she couldn’t feel the brakes take hold.

“It started to really shake and bump and oxygen masks were falling and it’s at that moment your mind starts going, ‘this is really not the way it’s supposed to happen,’” Jaime Primak Sullivan, star of the Bravo reality show "Jersey Belle,” told NBC’s “Today” show on Friday.

The jet with 127 passengers on board crashed into a fence during snowy conditions, resting on an embankment just a few feet from the icy waters of Flushing Bay. About two dozen people reported minor injuries and three were taken to the hospital, officials said.

Primak Sullivan, who is a frequent flyer and says she feels safe on planes, said as the jet "was sliding for thousands of feet" she was terrified it might slam into another jet or the airport. Once it stopped she saw the rocks and the water.

“It’s at that moment that you think what happens if the plane goes into the water? Do planes sink? Do they float?” Primak Sullivan said, her voice breaking. “Will I ever see my kids again?”

The plane smashed through the fence and passengers had to climb out onto a wing to exit the plane to safety.

“The pilots did everything they could but it’s not different than a car losing control on ice, except we were going hundreds of miles an hour,” Primak Sullivan said.

Primak Sullivan said she held her emotions together until she saw the pilot walk out of the cockpit.

“I looked right at him, and he looked right at me and I sort of came unglued at that moment,” she said. “His only concern was for his passengers. He walked right up to me and put his arm around me and said I’m going to get you off this plane. And he did."

Giants tight end Larry Donnell was also on the flight; he posted images and video to Instagram and shared the media with NBC 4 New York. 

The plane was moved to a hangar, where the investigation into the skid continues. Photos obtained exclusively by NBC 4 New York show heavy damage to one of the plane's wings, and the front of the fuselage appears to be crumpled from the impact.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending an investigator to retrieve the plane's flight data and cockpit voice recorders and to document damage to the plane. The Federal Aviation Administration is also investigating.

In a statement Friday, Delta Airlines said it worked through the night to return passengers' belongings and was fully cooperating with the NTSB. The airline said it could not comment further. 

"In the meantime, Delta has refunded each customer the full price of their airfare and remains in touch to assist customers with any other immediate needs," the statement said.

An earlier version of this story misspelled Jaime Primak Sullivan's last name. It has been corrected.

WATCH: Giant Octopus Tries to Climb Out of Tank


A video shows Seattle Aquarium's giant octopus "Ink" trying to crawl out of his tank, prompting online speculation as to whether he was attempting an escape or simply exploring his new surroundings.

Ink didn't get too far. An aquarium staffer helped the animal back into its enclosure. LiveLeak posted the footage Wednesday, which immediately became fodder for online blogs and sites. The Huffington Post and Gawker wondered whether there was a "worldwide octopus uprising" going on.

Just a few days ago, another octopus grabbed a camera from a researcher and turned it on him, and the post went viral on Reddit. 

There were also reports about an octopus that jumped out of the water to snatch a crab.

As for the Seattle octopus, Reddit commenters wondered what could have prompted it to scale the tank. 

Seattle Aquarium officials told the local Seattle Fox affiliate the "video has been blown out of proportion." “It’s a new octopus 'Ink' in a new exhibit exploring his boundaries,” officials said. “In the video that’s been shared by the public it’s one of our staff members helping Ink bank into his exhibit after exploring the edge.”

The aquarium holds daily octopus feedings, where visitors can watch the giant Pacific octopus consume crabs, clams and even other species of octopus. 

Photo Credit: Seattle Aquarium
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

I-395 South Reopens in Killingly


Interstate 395 South was closed near exit 93 in Killingly because of a bus fire, according to police, but it is reopening.

No injuries are reported and no additional information was immediately available.

It's not clear how much damage there was to the bus, which was described as commercial.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

The Salvation Army Uses "The Dress" in Anti-Violence Campaign


The dress that sparked the Internet debate last week on whether it was blue and black or white and gold is now being used to draw attention to violence against women.

The Southern African branch of the Salvation Army tweeted out an image of a woman covered in dark bruises, posing in a white and gold version of the viral dress, as part of a social media campaign to help stop abuse against women.

“Why is it so hard to see black and blue?” the text reads. “The only illusion is if you think it was her choice. One in 6 women are victims of abuse. Stop abuse against women.”

The campaign uses the hash tag #stopabuseagainstwomen and comes ahead of the International Women's Day on March 8.

Carin A. Holmes, a spokeswoman for the Salvation Army, told NBC News on Friday the hope is to “raise awareness against the atrocity of women abuse” and bring attention to the Salvation Army's work with CareHaven, a South African residential shelter for women and children who have been abused or trafficked.

Last week #The Dress rocked the Internet, with 11 million mentions on Twitter within the first day of the story.

The image shared by The Salvation Army didn't drew quick response from social media users on Friday, with many calling it "powerful."

Photo Credit: The Salvation Army
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Sandy Hook Commission Releases Final Report


The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is meeting today for the last time to present the governor with its 277-page final report, highlighting school safety, gun violence and mental health recommendations.

The commission released a 256-page draft report last month and made some some revisions ahead of Friday's meeting. The final report is now posted on the Sandy Hook Commission website.

The report includes the following recommendations:

School Safety

  • Classrooms and safe haven areas should have doors that lock from the inside.
  • All exterior doors in K-12 schools should be equipped with hardware capable of implementing a full perimeter lockdown.
  • A feasibility study should be conducted to develop additional safety standards about giving classroom keys to substitute teachers.
  • Schools are urged to adopt a safety plan and put together a safety committee including police, first responders, teachers, administrators and custodians.
  • The state should amend the gun violence prevention and children's' safety act to include an architect licensed in the state among the members of the School Safety Infrastructure Council.
  • Each school should maintain an accurate list of faculty, staff and students, complete with emergency contact information, including parents and guardians of students.
  • Provide safety and security training for faculty, staff and students
  • When designing schools, classrooms should be located away from the points of entry to the building entry.

Law Enforcement

  • Any shell casing for ammunition sold or possessed in the state should have a serial number etched on it for tracing purposes.
  • Anyone seeking a license to sell, buy or carry any type of firearm should be required to pass a suitability screening process.
  • Establish statewide and/or regional Incident Management Teams for public safety personnel.
  • Integrate Public Safety Dispatch centers, with minimum staffing levels, into all major event response plans.
  • Require that lead agencies that respond to major events conduct a review and provide formal after-action reports, which should be maintained on file with the appropriate public agencies.
  • Expand incident training at Police and Fire Academies in Connecticut.
  • Create a statewide working group to address first responder mental health issues.
  • Create and publish a Statewide Donations Management Plan for incidents of statewide consequence. This could be done through Connecticut Care, which was established by P.A. 13-275.
  • Programs should be developed that focus on violence reduction through the educational process or other entities.
  • Alcohol awareness programs should be included at appropriate points in the K-12 curriculum.

Mental Health

  • Build a mental health system that targets detection and treatment while building stronger, resilient communities of care.
  • Schools playing a critical role in fostering healthy child development and healthy communities.
  • Social-emotional learning in schools should help childen identify and name feelings, including frustration, anger and loneliness, that can contribute to disruptive and self-destructive behavior.
  • Social development curriculum should include anti-bullying strategies.
  • Schools should form multidisciplinary risk-assessment teams that gather information on and respond supportively to children who may pose a risk to others or face a risk to themselves due to toxic stress, trauma, social isolation or other factors.
  • Develop state and federal Department of Education programs to supplement the state Department of Children and Families.  
  • Each board of education must ensure that children with disabilities be identified and evaluated in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Commissioners voted on the modifications at the panel's final working meeting Feb. 13.

Malloy commissioned the panel to make recommendations in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre that left 20 children and six educators dead in December 2012.

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File

2 Charged With Animal Cruelty After Starving Horses Euthanized


Stamford police have arrested two people after two starving horses had to be euthanized and other horses were found in deplorable conditions, police said.

The Stamford police department started investigating after receiving a complaint on January 25 about the possible neglect of horses at Rock Spring Farms, located at 405-421 Old Long Ridge Road.

New England Equine reached out to police after caring the day before for Muppet, a 3-year-old Appaloosa mare that was dehydrated and malnourished, police said.

When officers arrived at Rock Spring Farms, they found the barn in a deplorable state. The barn walls had holes, wires were exposed, doors were unsecured and stalls were filled with a large amount of manure left for the animals to lie on, police said. There was little food for the horses and any water left out was frozen.

Five horses were there, including Lacey, a 4-year-old Appaloosa mare, that was on the ground and gasping for air, police said.

At that point, more police, including the animal control unit, were called in.

Police said Muppet and Lacey had open sores, matted and wet fur and showed signs of malnutrition.

A veterinarian was also called in and determined that Lacey and Muppet were extremely emaciated, dehydrated and would have to be euthanized, police said. Necropsies later showed that both horses suffered from emaciation and severe dehydration.

The owner of the barn, identified as Eileen Lenihan, 57, said she owned several of the horses and believed Jose Dejesus Rodriquez, 37, who owned others, was caring for the stable and all the horses on the property.

When Rodriquez arrived, he told investigators he believed the horses might have been poisoned and said he notified Lenihan the day before.

According to police, Lenihan nor Rodriguez had a reasonable explanation for why the stable was in such a deplorable state or why there was a lack of food and water for the horses.

Police noted that animal control had investigated past neglect complaints at the farm and the remaining horses have been placed with an equine rescue after being examined by veterinarians.

Lenihan and Rodriquez have been charged with cruelty to animals.

Rodriquez was arrested on Thursday and he posted a $10,000 bond. Lenihan turned herself in on Friday and was released after posting a $10,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Stamford Police

NJ Animal Hospital Evacuated After MRI Machine Explodes


Several construction workers were injured when an MRI machine they were disassembling in a New Jersey animal hospital exploded Friday morning, authorities say.

None of the 60 or so animals in the Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus at the time of the explosion were hurt.

The workers were dismantling the machine to put in a new one, officials said. One of the workers was taken to the hospital in critical condition with lacerations and crushing-related injuries to his body; the two others had respiratory complaints and other, mostly minor injuries, police said.

It's not clear why the machine exploded. There was no fire after the initial explosion, but there was a small leak of helium, which is used as a cooling agent inside of the MRI machine. Hazardous materials crews responded to the scene as a precaution and assisted firefighters in stopping the leak.

Dr. Tony Palminteri, owner of the hospital, said that his workers got all of the animals out safely, but several were in critical condition because of earlier medical concerns and were going to be taken to other area animal hospitals for continued treatment as soon as possible.

The animals were taken to a store across the street, where more than two dozen animal hospital employees were working to give them shelter and treat any explosion-related or pre-existing injuries.

The part of the hospital had extensive damage but was deemed structurally safe, authorities said. It will remain closed, though, for an as yet undetermined length of time, authorities said.

In a statement posted to its Facebook page, Oradell Animal Hospital thanked its employees and partners.

"Each and every one of our employees worked together during the situation and they all get a great big thank you," the statement said "A huge thank you goes out to our partners: Bergen police and emergency units, Animal Control, HoHoKus Animal Hospital, Park Ridge Animal Hospital, Franklin Lakes Animal Hospital, Ashley Pochick from Merial and Mangiamo's Pizza on Route 17. We thank every one very, very much."

Photo Credit: NBC 4 New York

911 Calls Released in Home Invasion-Bank Bomb Case


Emergency calls released Friday provide insight into the case of a Bristol home invasion, bomb scare and attempt to steal money from a New Britain bank late last month.

Early on the morning of Monday, Feb. 23, two men wearing dark clothing, ski masks and ski goggles, forced their way into the Bristol home Achieve Financial Credit Union vice president Matthew Yussman, 46, shares with his 70-year-old mother and bound the mother and son, according to police.

The men that strapped an apparent explosive device to Yussman's torso and sent him to the bank branch in New Britain to empty the vault, police said.

Yussman called the bank CEO while sitting his car just after 8 a.m. and warned him of what was about to happen, urging him to evacuate the bank branch, according to the 911 transcripts.

"I just received a call a few minutes ago from one of our VPs who states that he’s a victim of a home invasion over overnight," the CEO said in a 911 call placed to police in Berlin, where the bank is headquartered. "That his mom who resides with him is strapped to a bomb as well as him, and he’s instructing me to vacate our branch in New Britain because one of the perpetrators is going to be accompanying him to clear out cash."

The CEO said he had "no reason not to believe" what Yussman told him, adding that Yussman had asked him not to contact authorities.

“I don’t know who to talk to. This isn’t a normal circumstance,” the CEO said.

The call was then transferred to Bristol police dispatchers.

"He states that’s he strapped to – he has a bomb. He’s sitting in his car in the garage. That the perpetrators also put a bomb under the mother’s bed and he’s instructing me to vacate our New Britain branch because they are going to come and rob it with cash and that the employees are to leave," he repeated on the line with Bristol police.

Police said they're searching for two suspects in the case. According to the affidavit, the men asked Yussman for $4 million, while Yussman said he could only give them $1 million.

No one answered the door at Yussman's home in Bristol on Friday.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live