Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Woman Stabbed to Death Inside Hospital Room


A woman was stabbed to death Sunday morning inside a hospital room in the Chicago suburb of Elk Grove Village in an alleged domestic incident.

Elk Grove Police received a call at about 11:30 a.m. for a report of battery at Alexian Brothers Medical Center, located at 800 Biesterfield Road. Police were told someone had attacked a family member while visiting the patient's room.

The victim was identified as 42-year-old Francisca Quintero of Burlington, Wisc., according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

A 44-year-old man identified as a family member of the victim has been taken into custody and is being questioned by Elk Grove police. The weapon was also recovered at the scene.

"Police are reporting that this was an isolated domestic incident and no patients or employees were in danger or harmed. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim," officials at Alexian Brothers Medical Center said in a statement.

No other patients were harmed in the incident, police said.

Car Crashes Through Taco Bell


A Taco Bell in Hamden is closed during the clean-up after a car crashed through the building Sunday morning.

The car drove all the way through the Dixwell Avenue building just after 4 a.m., stopping before the wall on the other side and leaving a large hole in the corner of the structure.

The driver was transported to the hospital for operation and there were no passengers in the car.

The restaurant was closed at the time of the crash and doesn't normally open until 7 a.m., so no one was hurt inside.

"...So, thank God it happened in the middle of the night, and no one was in there," Ed Kingston, of Hamden, said.

But there is a lot of damage to the restaurant. Inside, tables and chairs were pushed to one wall and debris are scattered in the wreckage.

“It looks like a bomb went off," Kingston Jr. said. "I mean, how do you go through the exit. It’s kind of a weird spot to hit.”

People came to see the damage for themselves as news spread fast and snapped pictures.

“They’re gonna have some problems. It’s gonna take a while to rehab the thing," Hamden resident Hugh Sutherland said.

The restaurant will remain closed as company officials survey the damage. Workers got to work quickly to clean up and repair the wall. The head of the operations team for Taco Bell said it's too early to say when the restaurant will reopen, but that since this restaurant is locally owned, they plan to employ their workers at other area restaurants until it can reopen.

The crash remains under investigation.

There is no word on whether the driver will face any charges.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Son Charged With Killing Father


Police have arrested a 32-year-old man accused of killing his 59-year-old father in his New Britain apartment Saturday.

Antoine Greene, who lives in the first-floor 50 Short Street apartment where his father, William Greene's body was found, is facing a murder charge. The chief medical examiner ruled the suspicious death a homicide and the cause of death as "sharp force injury of neck."

Police and medics responded to the apartment at about 8:13 a.m. Saturday morning and found William Greene's body, pronouncing him dead at the scene. 

Antoine Green is being held in police custody on a $1,000,000 court-set bond and he is scheduled to appear in New Britain Superior Court on Monday, March 23.

Family members are struggling to understand what happened.

"He would do whatever it took to make sure his kids did the right thing and they were safe. So that's what's hard for us right now," said Rex Greene, William's cousin.

Rex remembers his cousin as someone that was always happy and always smiling, a man who loved music and CB radio. 

New Britain residents and neighbors to the Greenes were also surprised by the news.

“The minute I heard about this I went to shock," Joshua Gonzalez, of New Britain, said.

Eileen Sanchez, of New Britain, was shocked to Antoine Greene was arrested because she met him before and said he didn't seem aggressive.

“That is shocking because the time that I met his son, we know him, the little times that we talked to him he didn’t look like the person that he was aggressive," she said. "He didn’t look like that. He was very calm. He played with my kids.”

Friends of the family are remembering the victim who they knew as Mr. Greene.

“He had a good heart. He was always happy," Sanchez said of William Greene. "He always had his music and even if he was sad or anything you never see a sad face on his face. He was very nice.”

Nearly 24 hours later, a police officer stood guarding the outside of the building Sunday morning and the home was cordoned off with police tape until about 3:30 a.m.

New Britain police, the state medical examiner's office, state police and the New Britain state's attorney's office are investigating the homicide.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Jet Stuck in Mud at Del. Airport


An off-roading passenger jet carrying families bound for Walt Disney World got stuck in the mud at a Delaware airport late Sunday.

Frontier Airlines flight 1435, carrying 105 passengers bound for Orlando, Florida, was taxiing at New Castle County Airport at 9:30 p.m. when the pilot veered off the concrete taxiway and onto a grassy area filled with mud, airport officials tell NBC10.

The Airbus A319 jet couldn't propel itself out of the mess and was left slightly tilted with its front and right-rear landing gear stuck. The passengers were led off the plane and the flight canceled, officials said. No one was hurt, but one passenger said his daughter was bummed that the hiccup delayed their trip to Disney World.

Service members from the Delaware Air National Guard were brought in on Monday morning to help pull the plane from the mud.

Just like you would do with a car, the guardsmen dug around the tires and placed plywood underneath the 70 ton jet's wheels. They then towed it back to solid ground, officials said.

The passengers were eventually flown to Orlando using a different jet.

Photo Credit: NBC10

Minor Injuries Reported in Crash on I-95 in Old Lyme


Interstate 95 South was closed for hours after two commercial trucks collided in Old Lyme on Monday morning and both drivers were taken to the hospital as a precaution. 

Police responded to the scene of the crash, between exits 70 and 71, at 5:16 a.m.after receiving reports of the rollover and said Aden Ibrahim Aden, 21, of Enfield, Connecticut, struck the truck that was passing him and both vehicles overturned.

The other driver, Robert Stanley, 57, of Hope Valley, Rhode Island, went off the road and his vehicle overturned, police said. Aden's vehicle also overturned on the highway, blocking the southbound lanes and prompting the road closure. 

Both drivers were transported to the hospital as a precaution and treated for minor injuries. 

Police said Aden was found to be at fault for failing to drive within the lane while being passed and was issued a ticket.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Department of Transportation

Protest Planned Over Police Use of Force Against Teen


A group of people plan to protest outside the New Haven Police Department on Tuesday night to demand answers on the force police used while detaining a 15-year-old girl during the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.

Family members identified the teen as Teandrea Cornelius and video surfaced last week, showing a police officer holding the teen up against an SUV, then pushing her to the ground and holding her hands behind her back.

It has raised concerns about police using excessive force.

At 4:30 p.m., Cornelius’ family members and community supporters will march to the New Haven Police Department, where they plan to hold a news conference at 5:30 p.m.

The teen's family said this started with an altercation at Buffalo Wild Wings and they are demanding to know why officers used such force during her arrest.

New Haven officials have said the police department is investigating.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Homeowner Detains Burglar: Cops


 A Hamden homeowner came home to find his home burglarized and detained the burglar until police arrived, police said.

Police responded to a home on Mill Rock Road around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday to investigate the report of a burglary in progress and the homeowner said he was returning home and was “approached” by the person who had burglarized his home, so he detained him before police could arrive.

Police identified the suspected burglar as Prudent Bute, 45, of New Haven, and found several stolen items, including power tools and coins, when they searched his car.

Bute was arrested and transported to police headquarters, where he was charged with third-degree

He was charged with third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny, detained on a $5,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on April 3.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police

"Serial" Podcast Subject Makes Case


The convicted killer at the center of the popular podcast "Serial'' is making his case that an appeals court should toss his conviction because his lawyer failed to interview an alibi witness and never inquired about the possibility of a plea deal.

An attorney for Adnan Syed, now 34, filed a brief Monday with the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, which has agreed to take up Syed's case.

Syed was at the center of the wildly popular podcast that raised questions about the integrity of the case, the fairness of the trial and his guilt.

Prosecutors maintain that Syed strangled his former high school sweetheart Hae Min Lee in 1999 after the two broke up and she began dating someone else. Syed, who was 17 at the time of Lee's death, has been in prison since 2000, serving a life sentence.

The Court of Special Appeals agreed to hear Syed's appeal in February after two unsuccessful attempts.

The basis of Syed's appeal is that his former lawyer, Christina Gutierrez, failed to interview Asia McClain, a student at Syed's school who said she was with him in the library at the approximate time of Lee's death. McClain had written to Syed after his arrest offering to speak with investigators and his attorney. In her letters, McClain also mentioned two other witnesses who said they saw Syed at the library. But Gutierrez, who was later disbarred by consent after questions arose about her handling of client funds, never interviewed McClain nor called her as a witness.

"It is hard to imagine that Gutierrez could have done anything worse than failing to pick up the phone and call Syed's witness,'' Syed's appeals attorney, Justin Brown, wrote in the filing.

Additionally, Brown argues that Gutierrez told Syed that prosecutors would not offer him a plea deal when in fact she never inquired as to whether one was on the table.

Brown characterized Syed's former lawyer's failure to inquire about a possible plea deal and interview a potentially crucial alibi witness as running "deeper than the typical error or omission that is considered under the umbrella of `effective assistance of counsel.'''

"It not only violates something fundamental to the trial process,'' Brown wrote, "but it violates the duty of loyalty that is at the heart of attorney-client relationship ... his lawyer effectively stopped representing him.''

The attorney general's office, which is prosecuting the case, declined to comment Monday.

Oral arguments are expected to be scheduled for June.

CTfastrak Service Free for First 9 Days


Service on the new CTfastrak busway begins on Saturday and rides will be free for the first nine days. 

State officials have touted the bus-only system as a traffic-free commute between Hartford and New Britain, with 10 stations along the way.

Michael Sanders, transit administrator for the Connecticut Department of Transportation, said service will be free on any green CTfastrak bus, as well as express buses from Waterbury, Cheshire and Southington and Bristol for the first nine days.  

After that, regular fare will be charged.

A mobile phone app is also in the works.

Fare information is available on the CTfastrak website. You can also check the schedule online.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Stratford Police Warn of IRS Scams


Stratford police are warning residents about three types of tax fraud scams as you're filing your taxes.

Are you a tax preparer? Be wary of clicking any strange emails. One phishing scam sends tax professionals a bogus email asking them to update the information in their IRS e-services portal and their electronic filing numbers, according to police. The emails do not come from the IRS and the links are part of a scam, so police said to ignore such emails.

Then there's a phone scam targeting taxpayers, police said. Scammers impersonating IRS employees call under fake names and false IRS identification badge numbers and tell victims they owe money that must be paid through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer, police said. The calls may look like they're coming from the IRS on caller ID, but that's because the caller ID has been tampered with to make it look like a legitimate call, police said. Victims who refuse to comply are threatened and told they'll be arrested, deported or that their business or driver's license will be suspended. The callers sometimes become "hostile and insulting," police said.

Other victims are told they "have a refund due to try to trick them into sharing private information" and if they don't answer, the callers leave urgent messages, police said.

Police said the IRS never calls demanding payment right away or without time to question it or appeal it and that the agency would have mailed the information first, police said. The IRS also doesn't require a specific manner of payment for taxes, call for credit or debit card numbers or make threats to involve law enforcement.

Finally, scammers are also using the IRS name or logo in a phishing scheme to steal identities, whether it be over the phone or through email or fax. The IRS doesn't communicate with taxpayers through email unsolicited, police said. You can report suspected phishing incidents to phishing@irs.gov. Avoid clicking on links in these types of emails.

You can also report suspected IRS scams to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1-800-366-4484.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Meriden Plans to Fire Health & Human Services Director


The city of Meriden plans to begin the process of firing a city official charged with falsely reporting an incident to police if she does not resign, according to the city manager.

Meriden Department of Health & Human Services Director Lisa Pippa was arrested in a criminal investigation into a falsified police report, Meriden Mayor Manuel A. Santos told NBC Connecticut in an email on Saturday, but declined to comment further.

The Record Journal reports that hidden camera footage might have revealed that Pippa staged a burglary.

Pippa joined the City of Meriden in the fall of 2011 as acting director for the Department of Health and Human services, and scored at the top in recruitment for the full-time position a few months later. 

Personnel Director Caroline Beitman said Pippa has been on leave since requesting personal leave time on Thursday, March 13.

Over the weekend, Pippa's attorney, James R. Miron, of Zeisler & Zeisler, said she is suffering from a mental illness

"Over 43 million Americans have some type of mental illness. This represents over 18.6 percent of all U.S. adults," Miron said. "Lisa Pippa is one of these Americans. For much of her adult life Lisa has been under the care and treatment of a mental health professional and takes medication."

Pippa took time off from work earlier this year through the Family and Medical Leave Act after a neck surgery, Miron said in a written statement. She returned to work after getting the OK from her physician this month "with the restriction that she work limited hours and as tolerated," Miron said.

Pippa was hospitalized last week and has since been released, Miron said.

"Unfortunately, it appears that changes in Lisa’s medications combined with her post-surgical recovery and workload as the Health and Human Services Director made her return to work premature," Miron said.

Miron said he is working with the city of Meriden to "forge a resolution that is in the best interest of all the parties."

"We trust that the City Meriden and its residents understand that people with mental health issues should not be discriminated against or stigmatized," Miron said.

Miron declined to comment further on Pippa's arrest.

"As for the criminal charge of falsely reporting an incident, our only public comment at this time is that Lisa is presumed innocent under our law and this charge will be addressed in a court of law," Miron said. "Lisa and her family have been directed by me not to comment on these issues."

NBC Connecticut reached out to Meriden police over the weekend for more information, but Police Sgt. D. McKay replied on Monday that City Manager Lawrence J. Kendzior will handle releasing any further  information in the case and deferred questions to him.

Police declined to release surveillance footage requested related to Pippa's arrest pending the completion of the ongoing investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com and City of Meriden

Sister of Accused Bank Robber Charged in Holdup


Police have arrested the sister of a man accused of robbing a Woodbridge bank in March 2014, making her the fourth person to face charges in the case.

Mary Brooks, 45, of New Haven, was arrested Monday and charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery and conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny in connection with the robbery of the TD Bank on Amity Road in Woodbridge on March 9, 2014.

Brooks' brother, Jermaine Brooks, and sister-in-law, Zakea Brooks, were arrested in South Carolina last October. Jermaine Brooks and another man, Jermaine Cowan, are accused of robbing the bank, while Zakea Brooks drove the getaway car, according to police.

Cowan was arrested in December 2014.

Mary Brooks is being held on $150,000 bond and is due in court Tuesday.

Photo Credit: Woodbridge Police Department

Student Loans Delay, Deter Dreams of Becoming a Nun


Toni Garrett’s criteria for choosing the University of Dallas was simple: she wanted a college that was small and filled with nice people.

She was surprised to find, upon arriving, that she had picked a Catholic university steeped in religious tradition. But the Baptist-raised Texan discovered both the school and faith to be a good fit as she studied politics and business — even traveling to Rome to see Pope John Paul II speak.

After graduation, she landed a job as a bank teller. 

“I was really excited about my career,” Garrett, now 34, said. “I thought my future was going to be me in my spacious condo with my glass of wine.”

As her career grew, so did the love for the Catholic Church that began in college. A pull to become “closer to God, more authentic” led her to a spiritual director and, eventually, the realization that her true calling might not be in the bank, where she would advance to become a vice president managing 200 people, but in the convent. 

But when she turned to Google to learn more about becoming a nun, she realized she had a $60,000 problem: her student loans.

“I saw that I had to be debt-free and for me this was going to be impossible,” Garrett said. “With what I made with my salary, I would have been an old lady.”

Garrett’s dilemma reflects a growing challenge facing the United States’ nun population, which has declined significantly over the past 50 years. Young adults called to the church, like graduates pursuing many professions, are finding themselves saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt that can take decades to repay. But unlike in other fields, long-standing requirements that nuns are debt-free by the time they take their vows can delay — and sometimes deter — those interested in joining religious life. 

Eighty-five percent of applicants to congregations affiliated with one leading association of women religious reported carrying educational debt at the time of inquiry, a major 2012 study commissioned by the National Religious Vocation Conference found. The average amount owed by those applicants, the study found, was $31,000. Both figures track with nationwide figures for student loan debt.

While some religious institutions have the resources to take on debt for some applicants, many cannot. Two-thirds of religious institutions that received inquiries from individuals with educational debt had to turn people away for that reason over the past 10 years, the NRVC study, conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University, found. 

“This is a really sad statistic,” said Kathleen Sprows Cummings, director of the Cushwa Center for the Study of American Catholicism at the University of Notre Dame.

"They don’t want educational debt to be the primary factor in whether to accept a woman or not, but where does it fall, how do you deal with that?” she added.

Historically, Cummings says, women pursued higher education after pursuing religious life, often at a women's college affiliated with their organization. Now, the opposite is largely true — 61 percent of women who took their vows in 2014 had already obtained a bachelor's degree, according to one survey. More than half the institutes responding to the NRVC study said they had seen an uptick in inquiries from people with student loans. 

While the trend toward heading to college before the convent can equip congregations with sisters who have skills and experience to enhance their service missions, especially in fields like teaching and health, the high costs of the debt that comes with degrees is creating lasting financial strain. Pay earned by sisters who join active, or apostolic, communities can vary greatly, depending on the type of ministry work and level of experience. The salary goes to the community, though sisters can receive a stipend to cover personal needs.

“The challenge now is how to deal with this thorny problem in a way that’s going to be best not just for the immediate term, but to sustain these congregations over time," Cummings said.

At Daughters of Mary of Nazareth in Boston, created in 2011, three of the community's seven sisters have struggled with student loans, according to the congregation’s Mother Olga of the Sacred Heart. One woman, who had $60,000 in loans from undergraduate and graduate degrees, worked full-time for five years in an attempt to clear her debt. She still had about $15,000 to pay at the end of that period.

“It’s a blessing that in our country we have so many resources for education, but at the same time is breaks my heart,” said Mother Olga, who previously worked in campus ministry.

She encourages women exploring religious life to set and stick to a strict budget — and take steps like selling their cars, discontinuing cellphones and moving back home with their parents in order to save money — and ask family and friends to consider donating to their cause in lieu of birthday or other holiday gifts. One woman has even created an online fundraising campaign to help her finish paying off the $20,000 that remains from her bachelor degrees in theater and English. She’s raised about $2,500 so far. Often they work toward the goal during the yearslong process of becoming a nun, called formation. 

A number of Catholic organizations, from small nonprofits to major associations, have also stepped up to help women and men gain the financial freedom to pursue a religious life. The National Religious Vocation Conference created a new fund after reviewing its survey results and hearing for years that its member vocation directors are seeing “more and more” strong candidates with educational debt that their communities cannot afford to take on, Executive Director Paul Bednarczyk said.

“We don’t grow sisters on trees, so naturally they’re coming with educational debt,” Bednarczyk, a Holy Cross brother, said. “Those (institutions) that can afford it, they will assume the debt as long as they are in formation. Other communities don’t necessarily have the resources to do that, so we’re losing people.”

The National Fund for Catholic Religious Vocations, seeded with $2.5 million from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, will cover educational debt for accepted candidates as they go through formation, assuming the balance of the loan once they take their vows. Bednarczyk said they plan to issue the first grants to religious communities in June of this year, timed to capitalize on interest and inspiration related to Pope Francis’ September visit to the United States. Individual donors, institute endowments and groups like the Knights of Columbus Fund for Vocations also assist with debt relief. 

Garrett turned to one such organization, The Laboure Society, to help pay down her loans before entering religious life.

The concept behind Laboure was born almost two decades ago, when Cy D. Laurent, then a businessman, met an aspiring nun held back by student loans. With the help of friends, he raised enough to pay off the roughly $12,000 she owed. The organization, which he launched years later, now teaches aspirants leadership and communication skills while they work as a group to raise money to pay their loans as they go through formation. One hope is that the process, which emphasizes the sharing of personal stories, will encourage more people to explore religious life. 

“One of the things that affects religious vocations today is that there are less sisters out there ministering in the parishes and the schools and so we have girls that may not have that interaction, that may not question whether they are called," said Cialinett Colon, a Bronx Family Court legal program coordinator who is working with Laboure to help pay off $100,000 in undergraduate and law school loans so she can join Sisters of Christian Charity. 

Laurent said the need for aid has grown as both the cost of education and the age at which young people are ready to make significant life commitments — in both religious and secular life — rises. Because of that, he's planning to significantly expand his effort, which he says has helped 260 women and men pursuing religious life.

Garrett was able to meet her goals in 2012 by following the program’s structure of asking family, friends or acquaintances for a “contribution of prayer, a contribution or money or a contribution of referrals.” She said she easily sent more than 100 letters and scheduled at least 25 in-person meetings over the course of the year.

Now Garrett, whose religious name is Sister Josephine, is undergoing a two-year period of praying, studying and reflecting in Chicago with the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth.

“Being in religious life for me, I’m starting to become the best version of myself,” she said. “And so it’s really neat to discover who God made me to be.”

She’s hoping to take her vows in the early fall, around the time Pope Francis arrives in Philadelphia for the 2015 World Meeting of Families.

“I’m sending the Pope an invitation, actually,” she said with a laugh.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Bullet Holes Found in Ridgefield Cars


Police in Ridgefield are investigating after a homeowner found bullet holes in two cars parked outside his or her house Monday morning.

Investigators were called to the home on Bennetts Farm Road in Ridgefield around 7:30 a.m. Monday, where they found that two of the resident's cars had been struck by a single bullet overnight, according to police.

Police said they believe the shot was fired around 2 a.m. near the intersection of Bennetts Farm Road and Old Stagecoach Road.

Anyone with information on the incident is urged to call Ridgefield police at 203-438-6531.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Man Accused of Killing Dad Held on $1 Million Bond


A 32-year-old man accused of murdering his 59-year-old father in New Britain over the weekend is being held on $1 million bond and his family sobbed in the courtroom as he was arraigned on Monday. 

Antoine Greene was arrested after the suspicious death of his father, William Greene, whose body was found on Saturday morning in a first-floor apartment at 50 Short Street in New Britain, where the father and son both lived.

Police said William Greene was pronounced dead at the scene and the chief medical examiner ruled his death a homicide. The cause of death was determined to be a "sharp force injury of neck."


Antoine Greene was held on a $1 million court-set bond and he stood silently during his court appearance on Monday, where the judge ordered that he continue to be held.

"We love you. We love you," Antoine Greene's family members shouted in court.

"Antoine. Your mom. I love you. I love you," he mother yelled to him.  

Police have not released any information on a motive in the killing.

Antoine Greene is due back in court on April 6.

His family members did not comment as they left court.   

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Wallingford Student Finds Worm in School Lunch


A student at Sheehan High School in Wallingford found a worm in a fruit cup served for lunch earlier this month, according to school administrators.

Wallingford Supt. Salvatore Menzo said the student raised concerns to school staff after discovering the insect March 16.

School officials then brought it to the attention of the food distributor, which looked into the issue immediately, according to Menzo.

He explained that the limited use of pesticides in orchards makes it difficult to completely eradicate pests from food products.

Menzo said officials believe the incident to be isolated. The school system serves more than 3,000 meals per day and 500,000 per year.

It's the first time in 22 years the school system has been confronted with an incident of this sort, Menzo said, citing town food service director Sherlene Wong.

School officials are proactively working to enforce quality control, according to Menzo.

Photo Credit: Wallingford Public Schools

Bill Aims to Recoup Money From "Mystery Goo" Seabird Rescue


Two months after hundreds of seabirds coated in mysterious goo turned up in the East Bay, lawmakers are trying to recover some of the cost.

On Monday, California senators Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) and Loni Hancock (D-Oakland) introduced legislation in an effort to close a loophole that freezes state funding for the crisis.

According to the Leno office, the jointly-authorized Senate Bill 718 will “authorize the Office of Spill Prevention and Response to borrow up to $500,000 from the state’s oil spill prevention fund for the rehabilitation and rescue of wildlife in spill events where the substance is non-petroleum based.”

While the California Department of Fish and Wildlife investigated the incident, no significant state resources were available to support non-governmental agencies in their cleanup, rescue and rehabilitation efforts, Leno's office said. The International Bird Rescue center, a publicly supported non-profit group, spent about $150,000 on animal care.

Under current law, money is only available when fuel or oil is spilled.

Lab analysis concluded the goo is not petroleum based, meaning wildlife rescue organizers can’t recoup the money spent collecting, cleaning, and caring for the injured birds.

A total of 170 birds were found in January along the Alameda, San Leandro and Hayward shorelines covered in the substance. The substance impaired their ability to regulate their own body temperature.

The bill will be heard in policy committees this spring.

Emily Bockian contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: AP

Girl, 12, Allegedly Tries to Kill Mom for Taking Away Her iPhone


A 12-year-old Boulder County, Colorado, girl is accused of trying to kill her mother on two separate occasions with bleach, after she took away her iPhone.

The girl first tried to kill her mother on March 2 by pouring bleach into her smoothie, police told NBC affiliate KUSA. The mother told police she smelled bleach in the drink, but thought her daughter had cleaned the glass and didn't rinse it thoroughly.

Later that week, police said, the girl put bleach into a water carafe her mother kept in her bedroom. That's when the mother confronted her daughter.

During the confrontation, the daughter told the mother she planned to kill her because the mother took away her iPhone, police said.

"Most kids don't try to kill their parents," a police official said, according to KUSA. "We're not sure where she came up with the idea to do it the way she did."

The mother was taken to hospital, where police were notified. She was not injured.

The girl was arrested on March 20 on two counts of attempted first-degree murder and is in a juvenile detention center. Charges haven't been filed, according to KUSA.

Man Threatens to Kill Officer After Attacking Ex-Wife: Cops


A New Haven man accused of assaulting his ex-wife struggled with officers who tried to handcuff him, kicking one in the groin, then threatened to kill another and spit in his face, according to police.

Police said they were called to 105 Scranton Street just prior to 6 p.m. Sunday after a woman reported a domestic dispute with her ex-husband. She told police that Irving LeClaire, 43, slammed her head against the bed, punched her in the face and bit her on the hand after she accused him of stealing her cigarettes.

Officers confronted LeClaire on Sherman Avenue and asked him to stop. He ignored them, then fought them off when they tried to handcuff him. Police said LeClaire ripped one officer’s jacket and kicked him in the groin.

After they put him in a cruiser, LeClaire started head-butting the car window, according to police. Officers transferred him to a prisoner conveyance wagon but his “behavior didn’t improve,” police said.

An ambulance brought LeClaire to Yale-New Haven Hospital for a medical evaluation, where he threatened the same officers who arrested him, according to police.

“I’m going to kill you. I’m going to murder you. When I see you on [the street] I’m going to get a gun and shoot you. I don’t care if I do 10 years in jail, when I get out I’m going to kill you,” LeClaire allegedly told one of the officers before spitting at him three times.

LeClaire was charged with assault on a police officer, second-degree breach of peace, third-degree assault, interfering with an officer and first-degree threatening.

Photo Credit: New Haven Police Department

Reward Offered in Case of Orange Bank Robbery


The Connecticut Bankers Reward Association is offering a $2,000 reward in exchange for information leading to the arrest of the man who robbed a bank in Orange on Monday evening.

According to police, the robber entered the Webster Bank at 247 Boston Post Road just after 4:45 p.m. and handed the teller a note demanding money.

The man got away with an undisclosed amount of cash. He was last seen on foot heading northbound on Racebrook Road. A police K-9 tracked him to Racebrook Road near Neenan Road, where the trail ended, according to police.

Police believe the suspect may have gotten into a black Nissan Altima with front bumper damage.

Anyone with information or who may have seen something is urged to call Orange police Det. Brian Petrucelli at 203-891-2138.

Photo Credit: Orange Police Department
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live