Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

88-Year-Old Man Missing From Ridgefield


Police have issued a Silver Alert for 88-year-old Sidney Kelley, who was reported missing from Ridgefield on Monday.

Kelley is 6-foot-1 and weighs 170 pounds. Police said he has gray hair, hazel eyes and was last seen wearing a blue sweater and tan pants.

Authorities believe he may be driving a black 2009 Honda CRV with Connecticut license plates SM4-991.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to call Ridgefield police at 203-438-6531.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Boy Found Wandering Alone in Street


A 2-year-old Delaware boy is back home safe after he was found wandering alone in the streets as his family slept, according to police.

Brittney Jones, who works for a roofing company, told NBC10 she spotted the boy walking in the middle of Colony Drive Monday morning in Dover.

“I said, ‘buddy, where you going?’” Jones said. “I leaned down to him and pointed to both directions. He was holding our hands. He was talking to us. He walked right into the house without crying or hesitation.”

Jones and her co-worker knocked on neighbors’ doors to figure out where the child came from but no one knew. They then called Dover police.

Police officers then posted a photo of the child on the Department's Facebook page asking anyone who knew who he was to come forward. The boy’s parents then contacted police an hour after the Facebook post went up.

Investigators learned the child woke up as his family slept, got dressed, unlocked the door and then wandered the streets by himself. Fortunately the child was not hurt, thanks in large part to Jones and her co-worker.

“He could’ve been hit, somebody could’ve taken him,” Jones said. “I wanted to help. I’m out here and nobody else was.”

Police say they don’t plan on filing any charges.

2 Men Shot in Norwalk


Police are investigating after two men were shot in Norwalk on Monday evening.

Norwalk police were called to 16 School Street shortly after 8 p.m., where they found a man with a gunshot wound. An ambulance brought him to Norwalk Hospital for treatment, according to police.

Shortly thereafter, a second gunshot victim walked into the hospital. Police said both are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Authorities have not released any details on the circumstances of the shooting.

Anyone with information is asked to call Norwalk police detectives at 203-854-3113 or the anonymous tip line at 203-854-3111. You can also submit tips online or text "NPD" to CRIMES (274637).

Windsor Says No to Casinos


Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun are lobbying for more casinos in Connecticut to keep the state from losing gambling revenue to new competitors in New York and Massachusetts, but already some towns are opting out.

The Windsor Town Council voted unanimously Monday night to pass a resolution that prohibits casinos within the town lines. Councilman Alan Simon introduced the measure, saying a casino wouldn’t fit the character of the town.

“There’s also, I think, sort of an ‘ick’ factor, concern that casinos really prey on desperate people and it’s really not the sort of thing we’d want to have around,” he explained.

It comes as a bill is in the works at the state level to allow new casinos in Connecticut.

Earlier Monday in Hartford, Professor Clyde Barrow, hired by the tribes that own the state’s two existing casinos, released a report revealing the economic impact of planned facilities in New York and Massachusetts. According to Barrow’s report, those competitors could siphon more than 9,000 jobs and $700 million in revenue.

“With a $703 million revenue decline, the two casinos will have to eliminate 5,800 jobs by 2019,” Barrow said.

As many municipalities north of Hartford are being considered as potential sites, Windsor officials made it clear there’s no room for casinos in their town.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Steals Truck With 2 Kids Inside, Drives to Hospital: Cops


A man who had been shot stole a pickup truck with two children inside and drove it to Hartford Hospital, where he's listed in critical condition, according to police.

Hartford police said the suspect went inside the the hospital for treatment Monday evening and the children were reunited with their family members.

A second gunshot victim showed up at Hartford Hospital, and a third is being treated at St. Francis Hospital. Police said they believe all three people were involved in the shooting.

The carjacking suspect is listed in critical condition and the second person is stable, according to police. The condition of the patient at St. Francis has not been released.

Authorities have not identified any of the people involved or disclosed details of the incident.

The Hartford Police Department Major Crimes Division is investigating.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Father, 7 Kids Die Md. Home


Seven children and one adult have been killed in Princess Anne, Maryland, in what may be an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Late Monday, Princess Anne police identified the victims as Rodney Todd, Sr., and his seven children, who ranged in age from 6 to 16 years old.

The website Delmarva Now reported that carbon monoxide is suspected to be the cause of the deaths. Late Monday, police said a generator in the home had been running and apparently ran out of gas.

However, police did not release an official cause of death, pending a coroner's report.

The deaths were discovered when police heard from a concerned citizen that a co-worker seemed to be missing. When police came to the home, they found it secure and undisturbed, according to a police press release.

Princess Anne is a town in Somerset County, near Salisbury, Maryland.

Photo Credit: E. Ochoa

900-Pound Black Bear Makes Mischief in Wolcott


A massive black bear affectionately known as "Captain Jack" has been getting into bird feeders and bee hives in Wolcott, according to animal control.

"Captain Jack" weighs somewhere around 900 pounds and has been spotted several times in the area of Spindle Hill Road in Wolcott.

Animal control posted pictures of Captain Jack on Facebook Monday night, the result of cameras set up outside a bee keeper's hives.

Officials have been in touch with the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and are reminding residents not to feed or approach the bear.

"They are awake and hungry after a long winter so please just respect the bear's space and remember we all need to co-exist," the Wolcott Dog Pound wrote on Facebook. "Admire from afar!"

More information on black bears is available on the DEEP website. Wolcott residents can report bear sightings to the Wolcott Dog Pound at 203-879-7620 or Wolcott Police Department at 203-879-1414.

Send your wildlife photos to shareit@nbcconnecticut.com.

Photo Credit: Wolcott Dog Pound

New Haven Gas Station Clerk Shot and Killed


Police are investigating after a New Haven gas station clerk was shot and killed Monday night in the city's third homicide of the year.

Gunfire broke out around 7:30 p.m. during an apparent robbery at the Citgo station on Forbes Avenue, according to New Haven police.

The clerk, identified as 39-year-old Sanjay Patel, was shot three times in the chest and once in the hand. Patel was taken to Yale-New Haven hospital, where he died an hour later, police said.

Witnesses saw two masked men running from the scene southbound on Fulton Terrace.

"We're looking for two people that may be involved," said New Haven police spokesman Officer David Hartman. "We don't necessarily believe that two were firing guns. We know at least one was."

Police said they don't believe there were any customers inside the gas station store – a Pay Rite food mart – when the robbers walked in. They'll check surveillance video as part of the investigation.

Fulton Terrace and Forbes Avenue are closed off in the area.

Police are asking anyone with information to come forward and call police at 203-946-6304.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

2 Found Dead in Probe Into Woman's Disappearance


Hours after authorities searching for a missing Bridgeport woman found human remains in Stratford, a person of interest in her disappearance shot himself to death, according to police.

Marcus Jackson, 36, of Stratford, was found dead in his house Monday evening. Police said a shot rang out when detectives knocked on his door.

Jackson was wanted for questioning in connection with the disappearance of 57-year-old Minnie Lincoln, a Bridgeport resident who was last seen leaving a bar with Jackson the night of March 27. Detectives interviewed him once but said he failed to show up for a second interview.

According to a Bridgeport official, Jackson worked at the city's public safety dispatch center. He also owned the building Lincoln was last seen leaving.

Investigators had hoped to talk to him Monday night after uncovering remains near a Stratford industrial site. Police said surveillance footage and witness interviews led them to the marshy area off Watson Boulevard.

Although the Connecticut Post reports the remains belong to Lincoln, Bridgeport police spokesman Bill Kaempffer said investigators are still waiting for a medical examiner to identify them.

"We are concerned," said Kaempffer. "We came to this location looking for her and we found human remains."

But Lincoln's family is holding out hope.

"We want her to come home. I mean, things are looking bleak, but we're staying positive and hoping for the best," said her niece, Michelle Blakey. "We're praying, trying to keep it together and be strong."

Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch said investigators are determined to piece together what happened.

"This is a horrible episode and our thoughts go out to the communities in Bridgeport and Stratford," Finch said in a statement Monday evening. "Police have worked tirelessly trying to find and bring Minnie home. But, there is information we do not yet know. Detectives are continuing to search for those answers."

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

Cha-Ching: Coins Left at Bradley Airport Add Up for TSA


If you’ve ever removed change from your pocket while going through security at the airport and left it behind, you helped add hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Transportation Safety Administration’s coffers last year without even realizing it.

In 2005, U.S. Congress gave the TSA the authority to spend unclaimed money for security operations, TSA said in a statement to NBC, and a new report says TSA collected nearly $675,000 in the 2014 fiscal year.

Of that, $1,762.47 was at Bradley International Airport.

“TSA makes every effort to reunite passengers with items left at the checkpoint, however there are instances where loose change or other items are left behind and unclaimed,” TSA said in a statement to NBC.

The unclaimed money is typically loose coins passengers remove from their pockets, according to the officials. After it is documented, it’s turned in to the TSA financial office.

Photo Credit: WVIT
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

New Britain Golf Course to Hold Grand Opening


Now that we're teed up for some spring weather, a New Britain golf course is getting ready for its start of the season grand opening.

Stanley Golf Course will have a grand opening event on Thursday, April 9 at 9 a.m. Slots on the course will be on a first come, first serve basis.

“We are enjoying a fabulous March and April at our Stanley Golf Course driving range”, Bill DeMaio, director of New Britain Parks and Recreation, said in a statement. “We have concentrated on providing each golfer with the highest quality service this year. I hope the golfers come and experience this upscale feeling at Stanley."

Golfers will have the chance to win giveaways. Whinstone Tavern will provide free coffee and Parks and Recreation will bring cookies.

Stanley Golf Course has a 19-station, covered, enclosed, lit and heated driving range, according to the press release from the city of New Britain.

The course will be open Mondays to Fridays at 7 a.m., 6 a.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

More information is available by calling the golf shop at 860-827-8570, going online at www.stanleygolf.com or calling the parks and recreation hotline at 860-826-3360.

Westport's Longshore Golf Course is also slated to open weather-permitting on Friday, April 10 at 8 a.m. You can sign up in advance for tee times on Friday, Saturday and Sunday online starting Wednesday, April 8 at noon.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Watertown Police Investigate Report of Attempted Sex Assault


Watertown police are investigating a report of an assault at a local apartment complex early Tuesday morning after a man forced a woman to go into her apartment and tried to tear off her undergarments, police said.

Police responded to the Greenbrier Apartment Complex on Falls Terrace at 1:47 a.m. to investigate and a woman, described as around 30 years old, said she was walking home on Buckingham Street when a man grabbed her from behind as she turned onto Falls Terrace.

She said she didn’t know the man and he held something to her back as he forced her to open her apartment door.

Once they were inside the apartment, the man tore a shirt off the woman and tried to tear off her undergarment, police said.

The woman fought the man off until lights from someone’s headlights shone into the dark apartment, scaring the man off.

The woman told police she believed the attacker came from the area of the dumpsters and the Watertown Police Department Detective Divisions is investigating.

Police ask anyone with information to call the Watertown Police Department at 860-945-5200 or Crimestoppers at 860-945-9940.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Carmen Anthony Closes Waterbury, New Haven Locations


The Carmen Anthony Restaurant Group is closing its Waterbury and New Haven locations, according to Waterbury Mayor Neil O'Leary's office. 

The mayor received a call from the owner, Carmen Anthony Vacalebre to let him know, the mayor's office confirmed. Carmen Anthony Restaurant in Waterbury was the first location Vacalebre opened in 1996, according to the Carmen Anthony website.

That means the Carmen Anthony Fishhouse at 757 South Main Street in Woodbury is the only remaining location the restaurant group operates, according to the Carmen Anthony website. The restaurant opened in 1998. The New Haven and Waterbury locations have been removed from the website entirely.

The Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven restaurant was the restaurant group's newest location and opened in 2004.

It's unclear how many employees were affected by the closings, the mayor's office said, and it's unknown whether the restaurant group will offer any of them jobs at its Woodbury location.

NBC Connecticut reached out to the restaurant group for comment and we did not hear back by the time of publication.

In 2012, the restaurant group closed the doors to its Avon Carmen Antony Fishhouse location, which opened at the 51 East shops in 1999, selling its assets to The Grist Mill, Avon Patch reported.

Vacalebre is a Waterbury native and resident, who started off in fast food at McDonald's 1966, graduating from the McDonald's Hamburger University, according to the Carmen Anthony's website. He opened an independent fast food restaurant in Wolcott in 1969 and a second Me-Ma's location in Waterbury in 1972 before transitioning to fine dining and opening the Carmen Anthony restaurants in the late 1990s, the website said.

Driver Faces DUI, Motor Vehicle Assault Charges


A driver under the influence was arrested and a passenger was airlifted to the hospital after a car crashed into a tree on Windsorville Road in Ellingon, state police said.

Robert C. Turner, 40, of South Windsor, is facing motor vehicle assault charges after losing control of a 1982 Chevrolet Camaro on the state road and crashing into a large tree 75 feet west of Crescent Circle on the right shoulder, state police said.

His passenger, Kelly Ann Kenary, 23, who owns the car, was injured in the leg. A LifeStar helicopter transported her to Hartford Hospital to be treated for a non-life-threatening injury. Turner declined medical attention, according to state police.

State police have not released information on what caused the car to lose control and have not said whether they expect any charges. The relationship between the two individuals is unknown.

The front end and passenger side of the car were damaged, so RT 83 Auto towed the vehicle from the scene.

There is no word on Kenary's condition.

Turner was charged with operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol, second-degree assault with a motor vehicle and making an improper turn.

State police ask witnesses and anyone with further information to contact state police Troop C barracks in Tolland at 860-896-3200 .

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Driver Tries to "Hug It Out"


Moments after a car crashed into a home in San Diego's Serra Mesa community, the driver began apologizing and kept trying to hug the homeowner and other people at the scene.

“I just heard this huge noise and the house just started shaking," said homeowner Ian Jones.

Jones was awake and approximately 25 feet from where the car jumped the curb and smashed into the side of the home on Greyling Drive around midnight on Monday.

"I just heard this screech, and obviously it was cars I could hear them going really fast, and then all of a sudden, just bang,” Jones said.

His two children, ages 4 and 6, slept through the crash.

Jones said he told the driver to get out of the car because he was worried about some gas lines near where the car hit.

Jones said the driver smelled like alcohol and kept apologizing, and trying to hug people at the scene.

When police arrived, they arrested the 20-year-old driver on suspicion of DUI.

The driver did give Jones some sort of an explanation as to what happened.

"All he kept saying was that his friend should have told him he was going to turn right,” Jones said. “Well, there's a stop sign there. So, you know you could have stopped and turned right."

No one was in the room where the car hit, and nobody was hurt.

Police: Drunk Driver Crashes Into Fence


Vermont State Police have arrested a woman accused of crashing into a wooden fence while under the influence of alcohol Monday.

Police reported to the town of Dummerston for a report of a single-vehicle crash at 10:31 p.m.

Investigation showed that Linda MacDonald, 55, of Shelburne, Massachusetts, was traveling on U.S. Route 5 when she left the roadway and struck the fence.

MacDonald told police she was lost and was writing down directions she was receiving on the phone on a notepad, which caused her to leave the roadway.

MacDonald did not sustain any injuries and the vehicle was towed.

Police say MacDonald failed field sobriety tests and was arrested for DUI. She was released on a citation to appear in the Vermont Superior Court on April 28.

Photo Credit: Vermont State Police

Heart-Rending Photo Gets Pup a Home


An incredibly sweet 8-year-old pit bull mix named Chester who has spent the last five years in shelters was adopted after a Long Island animal group posted a picture of him holding a sign that read, "Why doesn't anyone want me?"

The heart-rending photo shows Chester looking down at the sign with his big brown eyes, one white-tipped paw resting over the cardboard.

"Everyone at the shelter tells me what a good boy I am. So why has no one adopted me?" the sign reads. "I promise to be good and love my new family. Please maybe you are my new family. I sit and wait for you to come."

Hundreds of calls from around the world came in from people inquiring about adopting Chester. Last week, a family from Ronkonkoma came to take him home. According to the North Fork Animal Welfare League/Riverhead Animal Shelter Facebook page, Chester went home with his new family Friday. They bought him a new bed and said he loved it.

Virtual Facebook hearts swelled over Chester's adoption. Between "likes" and likes of those likes, some users posted that they were moved to tears by his story.

Chester was plucked off the streets of New York -- a stray -- five years ago and sent to the Riverhead Animal Shelter. He lived there for quite some time before moving to the North Fork Animal Welfare League's Southold location, where he spent the last few months, reports the website Southold Local.

The manager of the North Fork organization, Gabby Stroup, launched a Facebook page dedicated to finding Chester a home Wednesday -- with that heart-wrenching photo -- and calls and emails came in from as far away as Australia and Nova Scotia, the website said. Stroup got a call from a woman named Dana Dor, who said a friend of hers in Michigan had shared Chester's photo on her Facebook page, and Dor, her husband and two sons went to visit the pup at the shelter the next day.

Chester met the family with kisses and went home with them that day, according to Southold Local.

The Dor family lost two Yorkies five years ago -- the same length of time Chester has been in shelters.

"We think he was waiting for us," Dor told Southold Local. She said her husband, Adi Dor, had tears in his eyes the first time he met the pup.

"We saw him and we felt connected," Adi Dor told Southold Local. "It was meant to be."

Photo Credit: North Fork Animal Welfare League/Riverhead Animal Shelter Facebook page
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

String of Asian Businesses Burglarized in Wallingford


Police are searching for the man suspected of breaking into at least four Asian businesses in Wallingford and stealing cash from the registers last month.

According to police, the suspect shattered glass front doors and windows at the businesses between the hours of 4 a.m. and 5:45 a.m. on March 17. Surveillance footage shows him going directly to the cash registers and stealing money.

Police said the man targeted New Beauty Nail & Spa at 970 North Colony Road, Vogue Nail Salon at 20 Ives Road, Pho Ethan Restaurant at 1145 North Colony Road and China King Restaurant at 159 North Colony Road.

The suspect is described as a thin man wearing latex-dipped gloves, a hooded sweatshirt and a white v-neck T-shirt.

Anyone with information is asked to call Wallingford police Det. Sean Houlihan at 203-294-2844 or email shoulihan@wallingfordpd.org.

Photo Credit: Wallingford Police Department

Officials Investigating Arson in Hartford


Officials are investigating a suspicious fire at a vacant home in the South End of Hartford overnight and said it is arson.

Fire was reported at 20 Glendale Ave., a vacant two-story house, at 12:20 a.m., Captain Helene Lynch, of the Hartford Fire Department, said.

No one was injured.

No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Superstorm Sandy Survivors Win Six-Figure Lottery Prize


They lost everything to Superstorm Sandy, but three years later they're buying the house of their dreams, thanks to a six-figure prize from the CT Lottery.

Dennis Klaus and Maryann Daino left behind the rubble of their homes in New York after the storm swept through in 2013 and moved to the Gaylordsville section of New Milford to start over.

They bought a lotto ticket at the Hess station on Danbury Road – that ticket is now buying them a home. The couple arrived Monday at CT Lottery headquarters in Rocky Hill to claim their $255,555 winnings.

"This is the beginning of a new story for us... We're leaving here and going straight to the bank to put an offer on a house. It's the house of our dreams," Daino told the CT Lottery. "It's important that people know... you have to keep the faith, because there is life afterwards, and there's a wonderful life waiting."

The Hess station will also receive $2,500 for selling the winning ticket.

Photo Credit: CT Lottery
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live