NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

School CEO Leaves Amid Fed. Probe


Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett is taking a leave of absence amid a federal investigation into a no-bid contract awarded to one of her former employers, and Board of Education Vice President Jesse Ruiz has been named interim CEO, President David Vitale announced Friday.

Ruiz said he was "ready and eager to take on the responsibility" of the position. 

Both men at an afternoon press conference defended the district and the process by which the 2013 contract to a Wilmette-based professional development agency was handed out. 

Vitale acknowledged he knew Byrd-Bennett was a former employee of the firm and said that fact gave him no pause.

"Many of us have prior lives in which we've engaged with organizations .. that still might provide quality service to CPS," he said. 

Asked of his own affirmative vote on the contract, Vitale said SUPES offered a "unique" program for principal training and that discussions were "extensive and well thought-out." And he pressed that he'd done nothing wrong.

"I have no intention of stepping down," he said. 

In a statement, Mayor Rahm Emanuel spokeswoman Kelley Quinn said that while there have been no formal allegations, the mayor "has zero tolerance for any type of misconduct from public officials."

Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis told NBC Chicago that Byrd-Bennett's leave of absence could be a good move for her. 

"I think, if she were out trying to do work, there's this cloud," Lewis said. "It's a distraction. This is a good opportunity for her."

Byrd-Bennett's contract with CPS matures in June. She has the option to extend it for another year but Vitale said she so far has not exercised that option. 

Byrd-Bennett's longevity with the district was questioned this week when it was confirmed that federal authorities were looking into whether she received any kickbacks from the SUPES agreement. 

The principal of a North Side school on Thursday described the training SUPES provided as a "colossal waste of time." 

The Board of Education’s Inspector General has been looking into the SUPES agreement for months. While nothing official has been released, there was a cryptic reference in the IG’s year-end report which spoke of an investigation which may have been the inquiry into the controversial deal.

Byrd-Bennett, hand-picked by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, came on board and within six months helped to shutter dozens of public schools in an effort to address the district's financial problems. She said at the time that closing the schools was an urgent matter, and that delaying the decision would be "criminal."

She had previously served as the Chief Education Advisor for CPS before stepping into the top spot of the nation's third largest school system in 2012 following the resignation of Jean-Claude Brizard.

She came to Chicago from Cleveland, where she spent seven years as CEO of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. Prior to that, she was the Chief Academic and Accountability manager for Detroit Public Schools and had jobs jobs as a teacher, principal and superintendent in her native New York City. 

Waterbury Police Investigate Armed Robbery at Sunoco


Waterbury police are investigating an armed robbery at a Sunoco Gas in Waterbury on Tuesday.

The robbery happened at 245 Chase Ave. and police are looking for a dark gray Ford F250 pickup with rooftop running lights and side steps.

The robber was described as a 40- to 50-year-old man who was wearing a black baseball hat and gray sweater. He had a silver rifle, according to police.

If you have information about the robbery, call Waterbury police at 203-574-6941, Crimestoppers at 203-755-1234 or email wpdmedia@wtbypd.org with any information.

Photo Credit: Waterbury Police

Groton Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect


Groton Police have arrested a man suspected of robbing the People's United Bank at a Groton supermarket on Wednesday afternoon.

According to police, a man in his late 20s or early 30s entered the Super Stop and Shop on Route 12 just before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, robbed the bank branch there and got away with an undisclosed amount of money.

The getaway car was described as a gray 2003-2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a chrome grill on the front.

Police have arrested  Vincent Nicastro, 32, of Westerly, Rhode Island, and charged him with robbery in the third degree and larceny in the sixth degree.

Rhode Island immediately took Nicastro into custody as a fugitive from justice after Groton police obtained a warrant for him. 

Nicastro was held in Rhode Island but has since been extradited back to Connecticut.

The robbery was the second at the bank in a week.

Photo Credit: Groton Town Police

Man Robbed Banks to Bail Girlfriend Out of Jail: Cops


A South Windsor man is suspected of robbing banks in Middletown and East Hartford to get money to bail his girlfriend out of jail, police said.

Middletown police arrested Martin Silvestro, 31, on Friday in connection to a robbery March 26 at Wells Fargo Bank in town.

In a joint investigation with East Hartford police, Middletown officers identified Silvestro as the suspected bank robber. He is also suspected of robbing a bank in East Hartford.

Police said he did so in order to obtain money to post bond to get his girlfriend out of prison.

Police arrested him on a warrant and writ of habeas corpus because he was incarcerated on separate charges at the time, police said.

Middletown police charged him with first-degree larceny, first-degree robbery and first-degree threatening. His bond was set at $200,000 and he was scheduled to appear in court on April 17.

White House Fence Jumper: Guilty


A Maryland man pleaded guilty after climbing the White House fence in October, 2014 and running through the North Lawn.

Dominic Adesanya, 23, formerly of Bel Air, Maryland, was taken down by Secret Service officers and K-9 units after he got over the fence on Oct. 24. He was briefly hospitalized after suffering dog bites to his arms, back, chest and knee.

His guilty plea to entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds carries a statutory maximum of a year in prison and a potential fine. Sentencing is scheduled for July 2, 2015.

Adesanya could have been released on person recognizance, but he is being held in two other cases, including one that charged him with jumping a security barrier at the White House in July, 2014.

President Barack Obama was at the White House during the October incident.

Photo Credit: Art Lien/Background AFP/Getty Images

Motorcyclist Hospitalized After Norwich Crash


A motorcyclist was hospitalized after a collision with a car on Washington Street near Route 2 in Norwich Friday night.

The road is closed, but is expected to reopen to traffic in an hour.

The motorcyclist's injuries don't appear to be life-threatening, police said. The call about the crash came in at 5:24 p.m.

The motorcyclist was transported to Backus Hospital and the patient's condition is unknown. Police have not released the individual's identity or the name of the driver of the car.

An accident reconstruction team is on scene.

High School Student Hit By Car in Southington


A Southington High School student was hit by a car on Pleasant Street in town Friday afternoon.

The car hit the female  student at about 2:40 p.m. near 500 Pleasant Street in Southington. The student was taken to the hospital. Her name and identity hasn't been released.

Southington Superintendent Timothy Connellan said that the student sufferered from some lacerations and that the injuries don't appear to be serious, based on the information he received. Police have not confirmed the nature of her injuries or her condition.

The accident happened in a residential area and a man who lives nearby said he heard the impact and ran outside.

Mohan Subramanam said that the girl was hit in the forehead and was saying her leg hurt.

"But, yeah, it was a bit scary, actually, because normally people go at high-speed play in this place," Subramanam said.

The circumstances of the accident are unknown. The car that hit the girl may have been driven by another Southington High School student, but that is unclear at this time.

The road is closed in the area.

Further information wasn't immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Motorcyclist, 24, Killed in Plainfield Crash


A 24-year-old motorcyclist was killed in a crash in Plainfield that happened overnight into Friday.

John R. Duerr, of Plainfield, crashed his 2013 Suzuki GSX-R 600L motorcycle and was found in the woods 30 feet from the eastbound side of Canterbury Road, police said. He was pronounced dead on scene.

Plainfield police and firefighters responded to the area of 274 Canterbury Road at 12:57 p.m. on Friday after receiving reports of a motorcycle accident. They believe the crash happened between Thursday night and the early hours of Friday morning.

Police ask anyone with information to call the Plainfield Police Department at 860-564-0804.

No further information was immediately available. The crash remains under investigation.

Suspected Mobster Arrested on Federal Charges


A suspected mobster from Manchester with links to one of the most famous art heists in United States history was arrested again on Friday, almost exactly a year since his release from prison in a separate case.

Robert Gentile was arrested on federal weapons charges Friday and appeared in court before a judge.

Gentile, also known as "Bobby the Cook" and "Bobby the Chef," is suspected of illegally obtaining a firearm and selling it to a convicted murderer, who helped the FBI set up a sting, according to the arrest warrant.

He was arrested Friday morning when he met with his probation officer and remained in custody. Gentile is accused of violating the terms of his supervised release, illegal sale of a firearm to a convicted felon and possession of a firearm.

Previously, Gentile was sentenced in 2013 in a weapons and prescription drugs case that officials said revealed the FBI's belief that he has information about the largest art heist in history at Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

While federal prosecutors said that his most recent arrest is solely connected to violation of his supervised release and not the heist, his attorney, Ryan McGuigan said outside of the courthouse that "if this isn't about the Gardner heist, I'll eat my hat."

Gentile was released from prison on April 16, 2014 and is a year into a three-year term of federal supervised release, the warrant stated.

Not long after he was released, he got in touch with an associate of his who he committed crimes with in the past, telling him he had several firearms hidden that the FBI didn't find, according to the warrant. His contact, a convicted felon, told Gentile he needed a gun because someone owed him drug money and was refusing to pay, according to the warrant. Gentile said he'd arrange to get one to him and arranged meetings and coded phone conversations to go over the plans, the warrant stated.

But Gentile's associate turned out to be an FBI informant and had been feeding the bureau information for at least a year. Federal agents outfitted the informant with recording equipment and $1,000 in government money to purchase the firearm from Gentile in a sting operation, according to the warrant. The transaction was arranged for March 2 at Gentile's Manchester home and Gentile unzipped a couch cushion to retrieve a handgun in a blue bag to sell to his associate, the FBI said.

The FBI kept the informant under surveilance after he left Gentile's house until he met with agents to hand off the weapon and equipment, according to the warrant. The gun was a .38 Colt Cobra revolver loaded with five rounds. Since Smith & Wesson ammunition is made outside of Connecticut, Gentile's transaction was considered interstate commerce, the FBI said.

FBI investigators obtained a warrant for Gentile's arrest on grounds that he violated his supervised release when he, a convicted felon, sold a firearm to another convicted felon, according to the FBI.

During a hearing in the prior case, a federal prosecutor disclosed that the FBI believes Gentile had some involvement with stolen property related to the 1990 heist at the Boston art museum. Thieves made off with 13 masterworks by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Degas and Manet worth more than a half-billion dollars.

As federal prosecutors were detailing the arrest to the judge, they brought up his gun charges and suspected connection to the heist. They referenced a recorded conversation during which Gentile conveyed some kind of knowledge of the sale of paintings from the heist.

He is being held in federal custody until after his detention hearing, which is scheduled for Monday morning at 10 a.m.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Brawl Breaks Out in Zara


Several women got into an all out brawl in the middle of a popular clothing store in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square neighborhood Friday afternoon.

At least five women slapped, threw punches and pulled hair while toppling over store displays and sending clothes flying around 3:20 p.m. inside Zara at 1715 Walnut Street. One woman climbed on top of a display table and jumped onto another woman during the fight.

Some shoppers stood and watched in disbelief while others recorded the scene and posted videos to social media sites.

A store security guard worked to break up the battle as employees called 911. 

A Zara employee confirmed the fight happened, but would not comment further. It's unclear what spurred the brawl.

The women were gone by the time police arrived. No arrests have been made and the incident remains under investigation, police said.

WARNING: Videos contain explicit language. Viewer discretion is advised.

Photo Credit: @jubyrr/Twitter
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Multiple Car Burglaries in Unlocked Cars in Vernon


Vernon police are warning residents to lock their cars and to avoid leaving valuables in vehicles after multiple car burglaries.

Thieves stole loose change, small electronics, sunglasses and other items from unlocked cars April 14 to 17 on Reed Street, Liberty Street, South Street, Kevin Drive and Fox Hill Drive, police said Friday on Twitter.

The burglaries happened during overnight hours.

Vernon police said to contact the department at 860-872-9126 if you notice anything suspicious.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police

West Haven Exit Ramp to Close for Construction


If you’re getting off of the southbound side of I-95 in West Haven at exit 44, you’ve probably experienced the quick change over of lanes. Drivers trying to get on the highway are shifting lanes while drivers getting off the highway are trying to do the same.

It’s a problem the Department of Transportation plans to fix.

Clive Watson has done it.

“When you’re coming on the highway, it’s just a short distance before it ends for you to get on, so it’s a problem,” Said Watson.

The southbound exit ramp will close on April 21. They plan to tear it down to improve safety, efficiency and have less traffic congestion.

The current exit makes a loop and goes into Kimberly Avenue.

Mayor Ed O’Brien said the change will re-direct traffic onto Ella T. Grasso Boulevard.

“Then there will be two left turns and they’ll come down to Kimberly Avenue. And then into West Haven,” Said O’Brien.

Demolishing the exit also means there will not be a southbound exit into West Haven off of I-95.

“The exit 45, that’s currently New Haven exit… it’s going to be exchanged to exit 44,” Said O’Brien, who isn’t happy with the removal of the exit because it does not take drivers directly into downtown West Haven. However, when it comes to safety, O’Brien said that’s more important.

Drivers NBC Connecticut spoke with agree.

“Yeah, it’s a good idea,” Said Watson.

City leaders say the closure is all part of a larger project: construction of a new mall.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Loved Ones Mourn Stabbing Death of Girl, 19


A 19-year-old woman is dead after being stabbed several times in Torrington this morning and police have identified a suspect, but have not filed charges.

Police have identified the victim as Holly Aeschlimann, 19, of Torrington, and they identified the suspect as Heather Birden, 20, also of Torrington.

Police received a disturbance call at 1:12 a.m. on Friday in the area of Prospect and Hungerford streets, responded and learned from a passerby that Aeschlimann had been injured and that a passerby took her to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital.

Authorities later learned she has died from her injuries, police said.

Multiple people who spoke with NBC Connecticut indicated that there was bad blood between the victim and the suspect and police said there's been an ongoing history between them. Friends told NBC Connecticut that Aeschlimann was riding her bike in the area when she was attacked by another young woman with an axe to grind and a knife in her possession.

"They were out here yelling there was quite a commotion out here," Robert Chatfield, of Torrington, said.

Family and friends gathered Friday afternoon to share fond memories.

"My heart's broken. For her family...and Holly," Linda Kijonka, a family friend said.

Thomas Farr is friends with Aeschlimann and took a selfie with her just hours before she was stabbed to death at the corner of Prospect and Hungerford Streets in her home town of Torrington.

"She was very close to me. She was like my baby sister, we did everything together," Farr said.

Birden is not being charged as of yet, police said, but is being arraigned today in Bantam Superior Court for an active arrest warrant issued by the Winchester Police Department for an unrelated case from Aug. 7. She was charged with assault in the second degree, reckless endangerment and breach of peace in that case. Friends said that the other case also involved a stabbing, but that is not confirmed with police.

Birden is also being charged with violation of probation.

While friends aren't sure how or when the feud between the victim and suspect started, they said the two had scuffled about a year ago.

"I guess she was trying to get back at her for something that happened, that she started," Farr said.

Their latest dispute was apparently about a man.

"I know that Heather liked the guy, but I know that Holly was just hanging out with him," Maddie Brown, another friend of Aeschlimann's said.

Three friends were with Aeschlimann at the hospital, Brown said.

The investigation in the stabbing is ongoing and the Connecticut State Police Major Crime Squad is assisting.

No additional information has been released.

There was an impromptu gathering on Friday night in Aeschlimann's memory and there will be an organized vigil on Sunday.

Photo Credit: Facebook and NBC Connecticut

Murder Charges in Panama Killing


A retired marine accused of killing his girlfriend in Panama, dismembering her body and dumping her remains in the jungle before undergoing an elaborate scheme to cover it up, pleaded not guilty to federal charges. 

A federal grand jury in San Diego indicted Brian Karl Brimager, 37, on first degree murder charges Friday for the killed Los Angeles woman Yvonne Baldelli, the U.S. Attorney's Souther District of California's Office said. 

Brimager pleaded not guilty to one count of foreign murder of a U.S. national, obstruction of justice and false statement to a federal officer. 

Assistant U.S. Attorney W. Mark Conover wrote earlier in April that his office would pursue charges against Brian Brimager for foreign murder of a U.S. national, according to a status report filed.

Brimager is suspected of killing Baldelli, 42, who went missing while they were on a 2011 vacation in Central America.

The U.S. Assistant Attorney General in Washington D.C. recently gave the local office written approval to prosecute Brimager. Conover said they plan to seek an indictment against him before April 17 and arraign him on that day.

According to the court document, prosecutors are still waiting on the results of a DNA test and tool mark comparison examination in the case, which they should have next month.

In September 2011, Brimager, a former Camp Pendleton Marine, and Baldelli traveled to Panama to stay on Isla Carenera, an island off the coast accessible only by boat. Baldelli was last seen with Brimager at a Panamanian restaurant on Nov. 26, 2011.

Prosecutors say Brimager killed Baldelli and later disposed of a bloody mattress at their hostel. According to another indictment, Brimager had used Baldelli’s laptop to search how to get blood stains out of a mattress.

The suspect is accused of then packing up Baldelli’s belongings into garbage bags and leaving them on the dock outside their hostel.

Throughout this time, prosecutors allege Brimager posed as Baldelli and sent emails to her friends and family to make it seem as though she was alive. The emails said she met another man and was going to Costa Rica with him. Brimager then allegedly used her ATM card in Costa Rica and San Jose.

When investigators questioned the suspect about Baldelli’s disappearance, they said Brimager lied to them and claimed she took her laptop to travel. That same laptop was found in his possession in 2012, at which point he changed his story and said the device never went to Panama and he never sent emails from it.

Nearly two years after she vanished, Baldelli’s body was found on a small island off the Isla Carenero coastline. Scientists used DNA analysis on her skull and bones to identify her.

Brimager is back in the U.S., though charges are pending against him in Panama.

NBC 7 is attempting to reach out to Brimager’s defense attorney for a comment on this story.

Love Triangle Leads to Severed Leg


Beatrice Spence's life changed forever Friday afternoon after a romantic rival ran her down, severing her leg, moments before her house caught fire and was destroyed, her family and police tell NBC10.

The intentional hit-and-run took place at 2:19 p.m. outside Spence's home along the 4400 block of N. 17th Street in the Nicetown section of the city, police said.

The violent act left the 24-year-old, nicknamed De-De, with at least one leg tore off, according to police. She was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition.

"I heard a car rev up, and then I heard a bunch of people screaming," said neighbor Jayson Massey. "Honestly, I thought she was dead. She was not responsive."

After striking Spence, surveillance video shows the white Dodge Durango fled eastbound on Wingohocking Street, police said.

The driver of the Durango, who lives a few blocks away, knew the victim, investigators said.

The victim's family told NBC10 that the driver and victim were in an ongoing fight over a man — recently throwing bricks at each other's windows.

"She came back — the driver came back and she ran her over. She ran her over," exclaimed relative Ruby Fields.

Immediately after the crash, the victim's mother rushed to the hospital leaving something cooking on the stove. The house then caught fire, said the family.

No one was injured in blaze, but the home was left unliveable.

Investigators tell NBC10 they know the woman they're looking for, but have not made an arrest in the case.

Photo Credit: NBC10
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Coach Arrested in Sex Assault Case


A volunteer high school football coach is being held on $450,000 bail on suspicion of sexually assaulting current and former students.

At least one of 46-year-old Jaime Jimenez's alleged victims is under the age of 14, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman said. It has not been confirmed if the victims are boys or girls.

Jimenez has been a volunteer coach at Franklin High School since 1998, and investigators believe there may be victims that are former students who are now adults.

Students and parents were shocked to discover the trusted coach had been arrested.

"I think it's pretty frightening because this is a place where im supposed to feel safe, and to think that something like that could occur kind of scares me," student Cesar Velazquez said.

"I'm hoping the schools going to reach out to the parents as soon as they know more," parent Axel Velazquez said.

Guillermo Cuordova had received coaching from Jimenez in the past, and he said the school football team were shaken by the arrest.

"They're shocked, they're really shocked because he's a good guy," Cuordova said. "He helped me get my skills better and just be a better player and was always there for me."

Jimenez  was arrested about 11:30 p.m. Thursday. He has since been removed from his position on the school's coaching team. It is unclear if he has any legal representation at this time.

"It's really unfortunate when someone who's in that kind of position as a role model becomes close with the students to gain their trust and then victimizes them," LAPD Officer Jane Kim said.

A Los Angeles Unified School District spokesman said the organization is cooperating with the police investigation. 

Anyone with information about the case is urged to contact detectives on (323) 344-5742.

15 Hospitalized During Concert at UConn


Fifteen people were transported to area hospitals from Gampel Pavillion at UConn during a Schoolboy Q concert due to suspected alcohol intoxication, according to a UConn spokesperson.

Tolland County dispatch said they transported at least a dozen people from the concert at UConn to the hospital due to likely alcohol poisoning. The call came in about 8 p.m.

The individuals are all believed to be students because tickets were only available to students, according to UConn spokeperson Stephanie Reitz. She said they were transported due to intoxication "believed to be alcohol" and that they're waiting for the hospitals to officially confirm the cause.

The concert was organized by a student group and no alcohol was sold at Gampel Pavillion during the event. People are screened as they enter, so they likely consumed the alcohol before they got in, according to Reitz.

The people transported aren't believed to be in life-threatening danger, Reitz said.

About 4,000 people attended the concert.

Pope Francis Mourns Cardinal George


Pope Francis expressed his condolences on the passing of Cardinal Francis George in a telegram to Chicago Archbishop Blase Cupich sent Saturday morning.

"Saddened to learn of the death of Cardinal Francis E. George, Archbishop Emeritus of Chicago, I offer heartfelt condolences to you and to the clergy, religious and lay faithful of the Archdiocese," the pope wrote.

"With gratitude for Cardinal George's witness of consecrated life as an Oblate of Mary Immaculate, his service to the Church's educational apostolate and his years of episcopal ministry in the Churches of Yakima, Portland and Chicago, I join you in commending the soul of this wise and gentle pastor to the merciful love of God our heavenly Father. To all who mourn the late Cardinal in the sure hope of the Resurrection, I cordially impart my Apostolic Blessing as a pledge of consolation and peace in the Lord."

Cardinal George passed away Friday at 78 years old following a long battle with cancer. The pope received word of the cardinal's death in Rome in the late evening.

Pope Francis said he had "great esteem" for Cardinal George and was very close to him during his suffering.

The pope appointed Archbishop Cupich to succeed Cardinal George after his retirement in 2012. Following the cardinal's death, Archbishop Cupich called the cardinal "a man of peace, tenacity and courage."

Three days of services have been planned for Cardinal George, beginning April 21 at Holy Name Cathedral.

Photo Credit: AP

Food Truck Festival Comes to Meriden This Weekend


Thousands of people are expected to spend the day outside at Meriden's Hubbard Park where dozens of vendors took part in a food truck festival.

Bobby B’s was among the 25 food trucks that are participating in the weekend event. They started the morning serving breakfast sandwiches and switched over to hush puppies for the lunch crowd.

"We got bacon, onion, cheddar or black bean, corn, cilantro with pepper jack cheese,” said Renee Brenckman of Bobby B’s.

And at Dee's Flavors, you'll find something cooking up for everyone.

"We have fried dough for the kids. We have fried Oreos for the kids. We have apple fritters. We also have the Spanish rice with beans, the Spanish pork," said Mike McCollough of Dee’s Flavors.

This is the first time the park has hosted a food truck festival on the weekend before its huge Daffodil Festival.

Organizers hope this helps build appetites for the main event next weekend.

"We looked at what's new and different and the food truck thing is taking off around the country and we said let's try it here at the Daffodil Festival so we did it," said Mark Zebora, the chairman of the Daffodil Festival.

You'll also find all sorts of hot dogs, corned beef and Reuben's, grilled cheese and just about anything else you might be craving at the family friendly festival.

The festival runs until 7 p.m. Saturday night and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday.

More information can be found on the event’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1563478880575261/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&feed_story_type=17)

Here are the food trucks expected to be at the festival:

State Police Investigate CTFastrak Bus Crash in New Britain


A CTfastrak bus and vehicle crashed near Smalley Street in New Britain by the high-speed bus route Friday night.

William Henry Wilson, 58, of Windsor, was driving the state-owned bus eastbound on the CTFastrak route into the Stanley Street intersection in New Britain when Alexander S. Hernandez, 24, of New Britain traveling the opposite way, ran a red light and hit the bus with his vehicle. The call came in about 10:41 p.m. There were non-life-threatening injuries.

The driver of that vehicle ran from the scene, but New Britain and state police located the person and the person was transported to St. Francis Hospital. A passenger in one of the vehicles was taken to Hartford Hospital. The injured parties had lacerations on both arms and forehead and index finger pain.

The airbag was deployed in Hernandez's car.

CT Transit personnel took the CTfastrak bus from the scene through West Hill Automotive. John's Automotive towed the other vehicle.

New Britain police were first to respond, but state police are taking over the investigation because it involves a state CTfastrak bus.

Photo Credit: Josh
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live