Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Local Bikers Rally in Texas


Among the thousands of bikers who attended a rally in Waco on Sunday were several dozen from North Texas who gathered in Arlington for the drive down.

They arrived in groups and on their own, with American flags and specially made signs for the event.

Skee Dodson, out of Texoma, duct taped a sign to his windshield that read "I am not a gang member."

"We're doctors, lawyers and brokers, but we're not gang members and I just want to make sure nobody mistakes me for a gang member," Dodson said.

Many of in the group belonged to biker clubs, but the majority felt they've been mischaracterized in the wake of a Waco shootout that involved at least five different motorcycle clubs.

Mel Robins, vice president of the Sons of Liberty Riders and a McKinney resident, helped organize the Arlington meeting spot. He said a vast majority of those in motorcycle clubs are in them to do good, not cause problems and are certainly not gang members.

"Our club, we're about to do our 3rd annual 9/11 Memorial ride," Robins said. "We enjoy to ride, we're in a club because we like to get involved in political things."

Robins says they are particularly involved with motorcycle safety and other groups do charity work year round. On Sunday, the motorcycle enthusiasts exercised their First Amendment rights as they spoke out for those still in jail in Waco following the shootout.

"It is our intent to do a peaceful, silent protest," Robins said. Riders were asked to bring signs and some made theirs before departing.

"I think we're here in solidarity to support innocent people who have gone to jail who were in the wrong spot at the wrong time," Dodson said.

More than 100 of the more than 170 arrested were charged with organized crime and remain in jail on a $1 million bond. It's a bond figure the riders feel is excessive and illegal.

Those assembled in Arlington on Sunday do recognize some of those in jail are indeed bad actors.

"But the other people who were there innocently, they're the ones that need to get out, they should have been out yesterday," Dodson said.

Their efforts led the group on a ride of over 100 miles from Arlington to Waco where they felt their voices could be heard. The group felt it was a chance for the Sons of Liberty to live up to their mission.

"For the safe keeping of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights," said Robins.

Arlington Police were present at the gathering but only served to escort the large group of riders safely through high-traffic areas between Six Flags Mall and Interstate 20.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Baby's Remains Found, Mom Arrested


A woman suspected of killing her infant child and hiding the remains in a storage shed, where they were found Thursday, was arrested this weekend in the Inland Empire, authorities said.

Maria Esthela Torres, 31, was booked into jail on suspicion of murder on Saturday, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said in a news release. The Bloomington resident allegedly hid the body of her 8-month-old boy in the storage shed more than a year ago and didn't reveal its location to her family.

Deputies haven't released the infant's cause of death. The boy's body was discovered Thursday afternoon in a storage shed at a business in the 10100 block of Linden Avenue in Bloomington, deputies said.

Torres was arrested two days later, and is being investigated for allegedly accepting donations from members of a local church and the community for burial fees for the death of the child that were not apparently used for that purpose, deputies said.

Homicide detectives determined that the infant was killed more than a year before his remains were discovered. Family and friends did not know that the infant's remains were in the shed.

"She's where were she needs to be, because nobody does that to a kid," said neighbor Andrea Magana, adding that Torres has three children and is pregnant.

Neighbors said Torres turned to a community group at Saint George Catholic Church to care for the infant they called "Baby Joel" after she lost her home.

Caretakers at the church said Torres claimed the baby had "thin blood." They said she appeared "fine" and "looked like nothing was going on" after her son had died.

Torres is being held without bail at the West Valley Detention Center. Deputies ask anyone with information about the case to call 909-387-3589 or anonymously at 1-800-782-7463.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of family

Hartford Police Investigate Stabbing


Hartford police are investigating after a stabbing left one person in critical condition Sunday night.

Hartford Police Lt. Brandon O’Brien says police were called to 59 Madison Street at 8:16 p.m. Upon arrival, they found a male victim near the intersection of Madison Street and Washington Street, which is nearby Hartford Hopsital. The man was suffering from multiple stab wounds to the torso and was transported to the hospital in critical condition.

O’Brien says at this point there is no suspect in custody, but they have good information to work with and believe the suspect and victim were known to each other. Sunday night they were waiting for an opportunity to interview the victim.

“We believe there was some sort of personal dispute but that’s not yet fully evidenced,” said Lt. O’Brien.

There were several crime scenes on Madison Street Sunday night as police investigated. Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident or have information to contact them at 860 527 6300.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

"Stop Snitching:" Woman Warned


San Diego Police will investigate online threats received from an East County woman who says she’s being retaliated after posting surveillance video of a man stealing items from inside her car.

The Lemon Grove woman, who asked to be identified only as Shariny, said the response from her post was overwhelmingly positive but for a few very concerning comments.

“It’s scary to know that he's out there,” she told NBC 7 Saturday.

She’s referring to the man captured on surveillance video getting into Shariny’s unlocked car, stealing a stroller and several other small items and walking off camera.

“It's a violation to hardworking people,” she said.

So Shariny posted the video to an East County group page on Facebook and got a huge response. She says several people turned over valuable information to investigating officers.

But among the posts were some disturbing comments including a picture demanding she “stop snitching.”

“It's scary because you never know when you're in danger,” Shariny said.

Cameras are still up and running around Shariny's home with added motion sensor lights.

She has also spent time away from home and gotten rid of the car.

She said she’s been told by San Diego Police that they will pick up their investigation on Monday.

Those comments posted have since been deleted from the East County group’s Facebook page.

Berlin Turnpike Northbound Closed in Newington


The Berlin Turnpike (Route 5/15) northbound is currently closed at Kitts Lane due to a car versus pole accident.

More information wasn’t immediately available. Check back for updates.

Police in Riot Gear at Summer Jam


Police were wearing riot gear at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Sunday night after authorities say New Jersey State Police blocking gates outside the Summer Jam 2015 concert had bottles thrown at them by people who were trying to get inside.

State police said crowds of people tried to "illegally" force their way into the sold out concert and became upset when the gates were closed and blocked off. Police said crowds began climbing over fences and forcing their way through security personnel. The gates to the stadium were shut and troopers were called in to help maintain order, police said.

An armored state police vehicle began blasting a piercing loud noise to try to disperse the crowd and police later deployed tear gas.

A state police spokesman said some arrests were made, but the number of arrests wasn't immediately known.

Photos and video on Twitter and Instagram showed large crowds, trash-strewn streets and barricades overturned in the stadium's parking lot. Officers donned riot gear and held tear gas as they stood in groups near the stadium's entrance. Police helicopters flew overhead and at least one armored riot vehicle was spotted.

"Major disturbance at Summer Jam -- fans vs State Police," @ChrisFHJordan tweeted.

Concertgoers told NBC 4 New York that people who legally bought tickets that cost hundreds of dollars were still turned away and told to leave. Hot 97, a radio station, said they'll refund tickets for those people.

"When fans realized tickets were not available at the box office, a small number of people created an unsafe environment, and for the safety of all guests, the New Jersey State Police were on scene to disperse the crowd. The gates were closed at that time. No further entry was permitted into the event," the radio station said in a statement.

Artists Kendrick Lamar, Chris Brown, Trey Songz and Big Sean were all scheduled to play at the event, billed as "the hottest hip hop event of the year."

Photo Credit: @nimihendrix/Twitter
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Bridgeport


Firefighters battled a house fire on East Main Street in Bridgeport.

The house is near the Evers Street intersection.

No additional information is available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Motorcyclist Suffered Life-Threatening Injuries in Stamford Crash


A 35-year-old Stamford man has life-threatening injuries after his motorcycle and a Honda Accord collided in Stamford, according to police.

The other driver fled the scene and police have arrested a suspect.

The 35-year-old Stamford man driving a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 750 motorcycle, heading north on West Avenue and crossing over the Baxter Avenue intersection, when the crash happened at 9:28 p.m., police said.

The driver of the 2001 Honda Accord was heading southbound when he tried to turn left in front of the motorcycle, police said. After the crash, he fled the scene.

Witnesses had the license plate and an 18-year-old Stamford resident led officers to the Honda, which was parked in the 30 block of Baxter Avenue, police said.

Police have identified the driver as Byron Luna-Perez, 40, of Stamford.

He was detained, arrested and charged with assault in the second degree with a motor vehicle, felony evading responsibility, operating under the influence, operating without a license and failure to grant right of way at an intersection.

He is being held on $250,000 bond and will be arraigned at Stamford Superior Court later today.

The motorcyclist was transported to Stamford Hospital and admitted to the Critical Care Unit. His name has not been released.

Police said he was wearing a helmet and protective clothing.

Witnesses are asked to call Sgt. Robert Monck or Sgt. Andrew Gallagher at 203-977-4712.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Water Main Break Closed Lane on Route 6 in Bristol


A broken water main near Home Depot on Route 6 in Bristol has been repaired.

It was discovered just before 1 a.m. and was repaired by noon.

Police said drivers were able to get by in both directions as crews were working on the repair.

The break was found near 1149 Farmington Ave.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Several Crashes Slow Morning Commute on I-84 in Newtown


Several crashes caused delays on Interstate 84 in Newtown on Monday morning.

Interstate 84 West was closed near exit 10 for hours after a single car crash happened around 2:30 a.m.

As traffic started getting by, there were some minor crashes on the eastbound side of the highway, causing backups.

Then there was another crash on I-94 East at exit 9, which closed the right lane and caused heavy delays.

Just after 8 a.m., there was another crash on I-84 West near exit 10.

2nd Arrest Made in Brutal Attack at East Hampton Farm


State police have made a second arrest in a brutal attack at a horse farm in East Hampton last September that left a woman clinging to life.

Lisa Rader, 58, was attacked at White Birch Farm, in East Hampton, on September 16 and said she was left for dead.

She was hit with a cast-iron pot and struck 41 times with a fireplace stoker, which caused nerve damage to the left side of her face, she told NBC Connecticut last month, shortly after her son-in-law, Matthew M. Frick, 28, of Portland, was arrested in connection with the attack. She also had a skull fracture, other broken bones and at least 20 lacerations to her skull.

On Monday, state police said they arrested James J. McMahon Jr., 48. According to the affidavit, McMahon worked as a dishwasher at Stadium Burgers and Brews, the bar Frick owns, and Frick hired McMahon Jr. to kill his mother-in-law and paid him $1,000.

McMahon Jr. was arrested on an outstanding warrant and charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault,  first-degree assault, home invasion and first-degree burglary.

Rader previously said she believes her son-in-law tried to kill her at her farm as part of an ongoing dispute with her daughter, who runs a farm in Portland. The properties share a name: White Birch Farm.

"I was asleep, kicked the door open, came in, started hitting me. I jumped up out of the bed, tripped over the foot of the bed, was cowered on the floor between the bed and the wood stove. I had my hands over my head. I said, 'OK, that’s enough, you can stop,' and I woke up in St. Francis," she recalled. "He left me for dead."

Bond for McMahon was set at $1 million and he was arraigned in Middletown Superior Court on Monday on charges including attempted murder.

Frick was charged with aiding and abetting first-degree assault, aiding and abetting to commit home invasion and aiding and abetting to commit first-degree burglary.

Another arrest is expected, accoridng to state police. 

Body of Man Missing Since Christmas Eve Found Near Boat Docks


The body of a man who has been missing since Christmas Eve was found near boat docks in Stamford on Sunday afternoon.

Paulino Mendoza, 24, disappeared on Dec. 24, 2014 and was reported missing on Dec. 28.

Police were called to the boat docks at Cove Island Park around 1 p.m. on Sunday after a the body was found.

The man was fully dressed, wearing a leather jacket and red sneakers, and had identification on him.

Police said it appeared Mendoza had been submerged for a while. They have not been able to determine the cause of death and the office of the chief medical examiner will conduct an autopsy on Monday.

Relatives told police Mendoza was out with friends before he disappeared and was last seen in the area of Willowbrook and Cove roads around 11:30 p.m. on Dec. 24.

Police searched for Mendoza after he was reported missing and K-9 tracks led authorities to the Cove Park vicinity, but they could not determine if Mendoza had gone into the water at that time.

“Today, we express our condolences to the Mendoza family who, along with the Police, valiantly attempted to search for Mendoza with friends and neighbors,” police said in a news release.

Mendoza emigrated from Guatemala and lived and worked in Stamford for several years.

Stamford Police said they worked closely with the Guatemalan community and community leaders, the neighbors link organization and the Guatemalan Consulate as they tried to find Mendoza.

Anyone with information that can assist in the search is asked to call the Stamford Police detective bureau.

An autopsy will be performed on Monday.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

2 Taken to ER After Danbury Knife Fight


Two men were taken to the emergency room after getting into a knife fight in Danbury on Monday morning, according to police.

Police were alerted to the fight when a Danbury police officer saw Adan Morales, 31, bleeding from the face in front of the police station at 8:59 a.m., police said.

He was holding what appeared to be a broken knife and told officers that he and Marcos Kalle, 26, of Danbury were at a home on Patch Street, had been drinking since 5 p.m. on Sunday and
got into a fight with Kalle.

Morales said Kalle stabbed him in the neck, and he was defending himself when he cut the man, police said.

When officers went to 7 Patch Street, they found blood leading up to the back apartment, forced their way inside and found Kalle in a closet, bleeding from his hand.

Kalle told police Morales grabbed a knife and tried to attack him and he was defending himself, so he stabbed Morales, police said.

Morales and Kalle were transported to Danbury Hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Both were charged with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct and held on $100,000 bond each.

Photo Credit: Danbury Police

Fire Destroys Barn Housing Vintage Cars


A fire has destroyed a barn in Litchfield on Monday morning that houses antique cars, propane tanks and more.

The fire department was alerted of the fire at 142 Chestnut Hill Road through a 911 call at 2:44 a.m. and mutual aid was called in from East Litchfield, Bantam, Goshen and others towns.

One issue firefighters faced was that the closest hydrant is a mile away, so crews had to draw water from two nearby ponds to get the blaze under control.

No one was injured and the fire was under control as of 4:05 a.m., but there is heavy damage to the barn.

It housed several vintage cars, a camper, construction equipment and propane tanks, officials said, and it’s not yet clear how much of a role the gas tanks played in the fire.

The state fire marshal has been called in to investigate.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

72-Year-Old Man Dies After Coventry Crash


A 72-year-old man is dead after a crash in Coventry on Sunday might and police said a medical emergency might have contributed to the collision.

Police responded to 1147 Grant Hill Road, near the Tolland town line, at 9:02 p.m. on Sunday after receiving reports of a one-car crash.

The driver, Russell Roushon, 72, of Coventry, was unresponsive and crews administered CPR, but Roushon was pronounced dead at the scene.

He had been driving northbound on Grant Hill Road when his car crossed the southbound lane and hit a tree, police said.

Police said they believe Roushon might have suffered a medical emergency, which contributed to the crash.

Police are investigating.

Photo Credit: NBC10

Body of Flushing, NY Man Found at Ocean Beach Park in New London


The man found dead on the shoreline at Ocean Beach Park in New London early Friday morning has been identified as Wei Wei, 33, of Flushing, New York.

At 5:43 a.m. on Friday, police received a report that a man’s body had been found and officers located him near the water.

His name was released on Monday morning.

The cause of the man’s death is not known. The office of the chief medical examiner will conduct further tests to determine what Wei died of.

Anyone with information about Wei is asked to call the New London Police Detective Division at (860)447-1481 or submit an anonymous tip at the New London Police Department's Tip411 text-a-tip line. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Motorcyclist in Critical Condition After Meriden Hit-and-Run


A motorcyclist is in critical condition after a hit-and-run crash in Meriden and police are looking for the driver who left the scene.

Police have identified the motorcyclist as Anthony Wilson and said they believe the other vehicle involved in the crash is a dark colored Mazda 3.

The crash happened at 11:20 p.m. on Sunday near of 47 North Avenue and police found Wilson suffering from serious head, neck, chest and leg injuries.

LifeStar medical helicopter transported him to Hartford Hospital, where he is listed in critical condition. The driver of the other vehicle had left the scene.

Police said it appears that Wilson was traveling west on North Avenue when the other vehicle pulled onto the street, possibly from a parking spot in front of 47 North Avenue.

The crash happened in the middle of the street and Wilson’s motorcycle hit the driver’s side of the car, then he lost control and hit two parked vehicles on the opposite side of the road, police said.

Based on evidence gathered at the scene, police are looking for a dark colored Mazda 3 that might be missing taillight and have a broken rear window or broken driver’s side window.

The car also has dents and marks on the driver’s side consistent with a motor vehicle crash, police said.

The Meriden Police Accident Reconstruction Unit is investigating. Anyone with information about the crash should call Officer Christian Rodriguez at (203) 630-6215 or Lt. Thomas Cossette at (203) 630-6256.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Charged in Falling Death Following Fight With Victim: PD


A New Britain man is facing manslaughter charges after his friend's roommate fell out a New
Britain third-floor window to his death early Saturday morning after police said the two were fighting.

Harvey Carr, 23, was arraigned on first-degree manslaughter charges in New Britain Superior Court Monday. Police said he got into a fight with Harold Jerome on his porch. According to police, Jerome either fell or was deliberately pushed out the window.

"There have been allegations against Mr. Carr," Jason Sucoll, Carr's defense attorney, said. "At this time it's much too early to have any idea why he has been implicated in this."

Dispatchers received a call at 6 a.m. on Saturday reporting that a man had fallen out of a third-floor window on Beatty Street and needed medical attention.

When New Britain Emergency Medical Services, firefighters and police responded, they found a man in the driveway behind the house.

He was suffering from a serious head injury and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Authorities identified Carr as a possible suspect and said he and the victim had been arguing and had gotten into a physical altercation just before the victim fell to his death. Car had returned to the apartment with a friend who lived there with Jerome and others, but he didn't have keys to get in. Witnesses told police Carr got into a physical fight with Jerome on a third-floor porch after that.

Police found Carr in the area of Main and East Main streets shortly after 10 a.m., obtained a warrant for his arrest and charged him with first-degree manslaughter.

Carr was also charged with punching a hole in the wall at the New Britain Police Department during questioning.

Carr was originally held at New Britain police headquarters on $1 million court-set bond, but after he was arraigned, the bond was lowered to $500,000.

He is being held and is due back in court on June 22. 

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Detective Nathan Soucy at 860-826-3137.

Anonymous tips may also be made on the Community Tip Line at (860) 826-3199 or on the New Britain Police website

Photo Credit: Stamford Police

Burglar Broke Into Hamden Home as Residents Slept


Hamden police are investigating an early-morning burglary in Hamden last Wednesday.

Police said the burglar got into a Lexington Street home through an unlocked window in the kitchen between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m., as the residents were sleeping, and stole the car and personal belongings. 
On Sunday, the victim’s car was found in New Haven. 
Anyone with information about the burglary should call Detective Scott Levenduski at (203) 230-4040. 

Intruder Sexually Assaulted Woman in New Haven: Police


Police are looking for the man who broke into a New Haven apartment early Sunday morning and sexually assaulted a woman.

Police said the sexual assault happened on Dwight Street and was reported at 2 a.m. on Sunday.

The victim, a woman, told police she woke up to find a man was standing in her bedroom.

She was disoriented because she’d been asleep and was not sure if she knew the man, but the man turned out to be a stranger, according to police.

The intruder told the woman he had a knife, threatened her and forced her to perform a sexual act, the woman told police.

The woman, who said she never saw a knife, fought off the attacker and was able to get away, ran from the room and called out to her roommate.

The attacker fled and the woman locked the door behind him, police said.

Police believe the intruder got into the apartment through an unlocked back door and nothing was reported stolen.

Police are looking for a man in his late-20s to early 30s.

He is around 5-feet-8, has an average build and he has a deep voice.

He was wearing jeans and a dark hooded sweatshirt, with the hood pulled over a baseball cap.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live