Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Watch Live: Skies Lightning Lights Up New London


Watch Live: Skies Lightning Lights Up New London

Photo Credit: Gregory Titan

Storms Force Cancellation of Coginchaug Graduation


Durham has canceled graduation at Coginchaug Regional High School because of a power outage at the school.

Storms Tuesday afternoon knocked out power to 99-percent of the town, according to Eversource.

No makeup date has been scheduled.

Photo Credit: Catherine Brennan

Uber Iniative Focuses on More Urban-Area Drivers


The popular ride-sharing company Uber has entered a partnership with the NAACP in Connecticut to get more drivers from urban areas to work for the company.

"It's nice because I know the neighborhood," said Marcus Best, an Uber driver born and raised in New Haven who started working for the company about three weeks ago. “I did this to be independent, to have something that’s you know, outside of the norm. Outside of the 9-to-5, you know you could set your own hours, turn it on, turn it off when you want to.”

Matt Powers, the general manager of Uber in Connecticut, said the company wants to hire 1,500 new drivers in Connecticut to primarily serve some of the most densely populated cities and parts of the state.

“We want to provide economic opportunity for individuals throughout the state of Connecticut and working with the NAACP we’ve targeted some areas that can really use some economic development and some opportunity" Powers said.

According to Powers, Uber has already launched the Uber Urban Partnership, UP for short, in Boston, Pittsburgh and throughout the state of Maryland.

Dori Dumas, the president of the Greater New Haven NAACP, said she views the program as the best of working to improve employment opportunities for urban areas, while also improving Uber's reach.

“It’s an urban kickoff today and it’s really about coming into the community, not being afraid of the community, being a part of the community and picking up the people in the community so yeah, that is a big deal," she said.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Dad Slept on Sidewalk, Left Daughter in Road: Cops


A 52-year-old father from Milford was arrested after falling asleep on a sidewalk and leaving his daughter in a stroller in the road, according to police.

West Haven police responded to the area of 764 Campbell Avenue around 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday after several people reported that a man was sleeping on the curb and a small child was in a stroller in the road, against the curb.

When police arrived, they saw Harry Apuzzo, 52, of Milford, who said the 4-year-old child is his daughter and they had been at the beach all day.

Apuzzo smelled of liquor, according to police, and several witnesses reported seeing him stumble several times while pushing the stroller, then falling asleep on the curb.

Police also found containers of alcohol in Apuzzo's possession, according to a news release.

The child was transported to an area hospital to be evaluated and treated for possible dehydration and police reached out to a family member to care for the child.

Apuzzo was arrested and charged with breach of peace and risk of injury to a child.

Photo Credit: West Haven Police

Teens Charged in Coventry Burglary


An 18-year-old woman and a 15-year-old boy have been arrested and charged in a burglary at a Coventry convenience store early Wednesday morning.

Police responded to a burglary alarm at On The Go convenience store, at 1657 Boston Turnpike, at
1:39 a.m. on Wednesday and found a plate glass window had been shattered.

The burglars were gone, but police reviewed surveillance footage and knew what the burglars looked like, according to police.

Around three hours later, a Coventry Police officer saw two suspicious people in a Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot who matched the descriptions of the burglars.

The Dunkin’ Donuts was not yet open and the two people ran behind a large trash bin.

Police pursued and arrested Rachel Reames, 18, of Coventry, and a 15-year-old boy.

Both were charged with third-degree criminal attempt to commit burglary and third-degree criminal mischief.

They were released and are due in court at a later time.

Another SI cover for Warriors MVP Stephen Curry


Warriors MVP Stephen Curry will be featured on the regional cover of Sports Illustrated, the magazine announced on Tuesday.

The Warriors have now been featured on a Sports Illustrated cover five times this season and seven times since 2013.

Curry has now been featured on the cover five times, including three during the Warriors championship season. He was featured on back-to-back regional covers during the playoffs, once after the Western Conference Semifinals against the Grizzlies and then before the NBA Finals against the Cavaliers.

Subscribers and newsstands in Oregon, California, Hawaii, Alaska, Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Arizona will receive the Curry cover, which is available starting Tuesday.

The other regional cover features fellow Under Armor rep Jordan Spieth, who won the US Open on Sunday.

Caught on Video: Biker Collides Head-On With Truck


A biker's GoPro camera captured a dramatic head-on crash into a fire department vehicle in the mountains northeast of Los Angeles.

Jesse Lopez suffered broken bones after he collided April 1 with the Los Angeles County Fire Department crew transport bus on Glendora Ridge Road, a popular route through Angeles National Forest. The video posted to YouTube earlier this month showed Lopez's view as he followed a friend around a blind corner and drifted across the unmarked road into the path of the oncoming truck.

"I don't remember what happened due to memory loss, but I might have panicked when I saw the truck," Lopez told NBC News. "So I applied the front brake, which straightened me out and I went straight toward the truck, which was also moving probably about 35 mph."

The camera showed the violent head-on impact and continued to record as Lopez was thrown from the motorcycle. Voices of emergency medical personnel and Lopez's friend can be heard in the background as he remained motionless on the ground.

County fire department personnel, who had been clearing brush in the area, immediately stopped to provide aid after the crash before the victim was airlifted to a hospital, said LA County Fire Inspector Chris Reade. A friend grabbed the GoPro camera, which showed debris scattered across the road, Lopez's motorcycle on its side and the damaged fire vehicle.

Lopez survived, suffering a broken femur, tibia, fibula, ulna and humerus at the elbow. The truck's driver was not injured.

Unlike a car, applying the brakes while turning a motorcycle can cause the operator to lose control, according to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Instead, the MSF advises motorcyclists to slow down before entering a curve, and to straighten the bike upright before applying the brakes.

Photo Credit: Jesse Lopez

No Evidence of Tornadoes: Officials


Powerful storms with more than 90-mile-per-hour winds came through Connecticut on Tuesday, but there is no evidence of tornadoes, according to the state Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security.

The National Weather Service estimates that peak wind speeds of 90 to 95 miles-per-hour in the hardest hit areas were the result of multiple microbursts, or straight line winds, but not the result of tornadoes.

A Facebook post from the state department cites the National Weather Service:

“There is no evidence of low level rotation and we are exceedingly confident the severe wind damage was caused by a 80 kt Microburst,” the state posted, citing I. Ross Dickman, of the US National Weather Service New York NY


A $15M Wedding Gift: Newlyweds Win Big With Scratch Ticket


Should we call it the luck of the newlyweds?

A Cape Cod woman, who was just married on May 1, claimed the first $15 million grand prize in the Massachusetts State Lottery's new $30 "Supreme Millions" instant game.

Stacy Foster of Orleans purchased the ticket at Tedeschi Food Shops on Route 6 in Eastham on Saturday. She originally asked the store clerk for a "Supreme Millions" ticket from the dispenser that was behind a different register, which was not open at the time. The clerk said she would have to select a ticket from the dispenser behind the active register. That simple twist of fate changed her life. 

Foster was joined by her husband David as she claimed the winnings at the Lottery's Braintree headquarters. She selected the cash option, receiving a one-time payment of $9,750,000, minus taxes.

The couple plans to use the winnings to buy a house, pay off student loans and buy a new truck.

The store will receive a $50,000 retailer bonus for its sale.

There are three additional $15 million prizes and sixty-one $1 million prizes remaining in the "Supreme Millions" instant game, which went on sale April 28.

Photo Credit: The Massachusetts Lottery

Power Outage Closes Old Saybrook DMV Office


The Department of Motor Vehicle Office in Old Saybrook is closed for everything except some scheduled appointments today because of a power outage.

The office is open only for those with scheduled appointments for the driver’s license knowledge tests.

To find another DMV office, use the state Department of Motor Vehicles Web site. http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp

The outage is affecting the area around the office.

Man Sues, Says His Beer Had a Dead Rat Inside


A North Texas man filed a lawsuit against MillerCoors and 7-Eleven Monday, saying he drank a beer that had "a dead rat marinating in it" two years ago.

According to the lawsuit, in August 2013 Marco Antonio Navarro bought a 24-ounce can of Steel Reserve beer from a 7-Eleven store along Highway 356 in Irving.

When he got home, Navarro said he cracked open one of the cans and began drinking the beer. He reported he soon felt a "tingle on his lips and noticed the liquid was not flowing out properly," according to the lawsuit.

Navarro's sister said she used her camera phone to take a picture inside the can and realized there was a "dead rat marinating in it."

The lawsuit filed on Navarro's behalf said he "immediately vomited, then continued to suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, allergies, and back pain, amongst other pain and injuries."

Navarro received medical treatment totaling more than $49,000, according to the lawsuit, and sought the counsel of a therapist after reporting having trouble eating, drinking and maintaining personal relationships.

Now, nearly two years later, he is suing to recover the cost of his medical treatment and for damages due to past and future pain, mental anguish and loss of earning capacity up to but not more than $300,000.

In a statement to NBC 5 Wednesday, MillerCoors addressed the lawsuit and said the following:

"Our brands are produced under incredibly strict standards, and there is nothing more important than the quality of our products and safety of our legal drinking-age consumers.  While we take all customer claims seriously, we do not believe there is any merit to the lawsuit."

NBC 5 as also reached out to 7-Eleven for comment, but as of this writing there has been no response.

Navarro is represented by Garcia, Dubove & Trujillo.

CLICK HERE to read more about this story from our media partners at The Dallas Morning News.

Photo Credit: Steel Brewing Co.
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Man Wins $500K After Phone Records Doctors Mocking Him


A Vienna, Virginia, man was awarded $500,000 after he unintentionally recorded his doctors mocking and insulting him while he was under anesthesia.

The plaintiff, who chose to remain anonymous, sued anesthesiologist Dr. Tiffany Ingham and three other medical professionals, who were released from the case. Ingham, 42, and her practice were ordered by a Reston, Virginia, jury to pay the plaintiff, The Washington Post reported.

The plaintiff used his phone to record post-procedure advice and aftercare instructions from his doctors during the April 2013 colonoscopy procedure.

While checking his phone on his way home, the plaintiff found he had recorded the entire examination and heard his doctors insulting him when he was under anesthesia.

Ingham was recorded mocking the amount of medicine needed to anesthetize the plaintiff.

"After five minutes of talking to you in pre-op, I wanted to punch you in the face and man you up a little bit," Ingham is heard saying.

Ingham and others mocked the plaintiff for taking many medications. One of the plaintiff’s medications, Gabapentin, was prescribed to treat an irritation in his genital area. A medical assistant touched the man's genitals and commented she might have contracted a sexually transmitted infection.

Ingham is recorded saying the medical assistant might get "some syphilis on your arm or something," then added, "It's probably tuberculosis in the penis, so you’ll be all right."

The genital area is typically not involved in a colonoscopy.

Ingham signed a post-operative note indicating the plaintiff had hemorrhoids. According to the lawsuit, Ingham stated she planned to note hemorrhoids even though she found none.

The plaintiff claimed he experienced mental anguish, lack of focus and anxiety after the incident. He said has had to see other healthcare professionals and be placed on anti-anxiety medications.

The plaintiff sued for defamation, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, violation of Virginia health codes and medical malpractice. The Washington Post reported the jury awarded the man $100,000 for defamation and $200,000 for medical malpractice, as well as the $200,000 in punitive damages.

Ingham had worked out of the Aisthesis anesthesia practice. An Aisthesis employee told The Associated Press Ingham no longer works there.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Power Restoration Could Continue Into Weekend in Wallingford


Power is out for around 3,000 homes and businesses in Wallingford today, the day after a powerful storm came through.

Wallingford Electric expects to restore power to around 50 percent of the customers by midnight tonight and they believe most others will have power by midnight Friday, but power restoration might continue into the weekend.

Officials said there are a variety of problems, so they cannot provide a more precise estimate on power restoration.

Five line crews from municipal electric utilities in Massachusetts, including three from the Taunton Municipal Light Plant, one from the North Attleboro Electric Department and one from the Wellesley Municipal Light Plant, are assisting with the efforts.

Four crews from Asplundh Tree Expert Company are also helping.

“Our first priority continues to be the securing of all downed wires and hazardous sites. This process sometimes makes it necessary to disconnect power lines that are damaged, which results in even more customers losing power in the short term,” Wallingford Electric said in a statement. “We ask our customers for their understanding as we continue to take these steps to ensure that all serious hazards are properly addressed.”

Customers who are without power should determine whether there is damage to the service connection to the home or business, the utility said.

A licensed electrician will have to repair any customer-owned facilities before the municipal power supply can safely restore power.

Customers who have questions about which components of their electrical service they are responsibility for should call the WED Storm Call Center at (203) 265-5055 and more information is posted online here.

Customers with emergency generators are asked to use them properly to keep linemen safe as they work to restore power.
Wallingford Electric asks residents not to connect a home generator directly to your home or business wiring. It should instead be connected through an approved cut-off switch that will automatically disconnect the home or business from the power grid when the generator is being used.
This work must be done by a licensed electrician.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

No Swimming at Silver Sands State Park in Milford


The swimming area of Silver Sands State Park in Milford is closed because of bacteria.

The water quality report from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection says storm water runoff from this week’s rain elevated bacteria levels.

The swimming area at Wharton Brook State Park in Wallingford has reopened.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Goats Seized From Cornwall Will Be Dispersed


Dozens of goats seized from a Cornwall farm after a case of animal cruelty are being dispersed to avoid spreading a contagious disease that most of the animals had, according to Department of Agriculture Commissioner Steven K. Reviczky.

Some of them will be adopted out for youth agricultural projects, 13 will be utilized again for agricultural production and placed through a sealed-bid auction that the department oversees, and some will be placed at animal rescues, Reviczky said. At least one of the goats died, according to data the department provided.

“We all hoped that every one of these livestock animals could be put back into agricultural production,” Reviczky said. “The decision to disperse the herd in this manner was made after months of treatment and testing by our veterinarians concluded that the contagious diseases present in the majority of animals made them not suitable for agriculture or for placement that would risk disease transmission.”

Agricultural department officials seized the goats from a cheese-making operation at Butterfield Farm Co. in Cornwall in January after they were found malnourished and in poor health, according to a news release from the Department of Agriculture. The herd was taken to the department's rehabilitation facility for large animals in Niantic. A herd of 96 was housed there.

It has cost about $42,000 so far to take car of the goats in Niantic.

Most of the goats had transmissible diseases that could be spread to other animals and "contaminate a farm's environment, preventing them from being introduced to existing, healthy herds," the department said.

The diseases afflicting the goats included Johne's, also known as paratuberculosis, which is an intestinal bacterial disease that can cause weight loss over time and death; Caseous Lymphadenitis, a "bacterial disease that most commonly causes superficial draining abscesses but can also affect internal organs" and be very contagious to other animals and, in some rare cases humans, often spreading infectious material that can stay in the environment for months; Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis, a virus that can also spread to younger animals and that causes arthritis in joints, as well as possible "lameness and weight loss," according to the department.

By removing the infected animals from the herd, that can help to control and eliminate diseases and make sure it doesn't spread to the next generation of goats,  Dr. Mary J. Lis said.

“These diseases are a serious concern to the goat industry,” Lis said. “They are progressive, incurable diseases that silently spread through a herd over time and from generation to generation, shortening life expectancy and productivity and reducing the overall quality of life of the individual and the herd.”

Twelve of the goats that have Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis will be quarantined at the Farm Sanctuary rescue organization or the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary, according to the department. Forty-six goats with Johne's and/or Caseous Lymphadenitis or both that and Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis were sold in a livestock auction. Two more that have the latter two diseases will be auctioned off soon.

The goats with serious diseases sold at auction for $5,750.

Twenty-three goat kids born at the Niantic rehabilitation facility this spring will be utilized for youth projects in the agricultural department's Kids for Kids program for topics like "animal science and husbandry, according to department. The department will offer the goats to agricultural schools/organizations, such as FFA and 4-H, according to the department.

Some goats that have Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis will also go to the Farm Sanctuary or Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary and the department will sell others with Caseous Lymphadenitis in a livestock auction.

The dispersal program is intended to find a way to save the goats, while also preventing the goats' diseases from spreading to other animals and their environment, the department said.

“It is our duty as livestock veterinarians to take the necessary measures to prevent and control the spread of animal diseases and protect public health while also considering the welfare of the individual animals in our care,” veterinarian Bruce Sherman said. “That is what this herd dispersal plan is designed to accomplish.”

Baby goats will be paired with 4-H programs through the collaboration of the agricultural department and UConn's College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources. Connecticut's Department of Education will be partnering with FFA and agricultural science and technology programs in the area.

If you're interested in the Kids for Kids program or in getting one of the 13 goats without diseases, you can contact Lis at 860-713-2505 or mary.lis@ct.gov to get more information.

Storm Rips Off Mall Exterior, Flips Car in NJ


A car was flipped and pieces of the Deptford Mall's exterior were ripped off as a violent storm, described by witnesses as a tornado, sprinted across South Jersey Tuesday night.

"It was going a circular motion and it was coming straight towards us and that's when everything started happening," witness Blake Clemmer said.

A blue coupe was left on its windshield in the parking lot outside Macy's. Shoppers tell NBC10 they were ushered into the department store's basement to ride out the storm. There were no reports of injuries.

"It sounded like a freight train was coming down the road and lights flickered a few times and then just darkness," Max Baumle, another witness, said.

Debris broke the windows of several other vehicles parked outside the mall located along Clements Bridge Road in Deptford, New Jersey.

The mall suffered significant damage as well. Sheet metal wall panels near a mall entrance were left crumpled on the ground outside. Yellow fiberglass insulation panels dotted the parking lot and were left stuck under cars.

On the mall's roof, solar panels were peeled back like a band-aid.

Deptford Mall officials said the mall will be open for normal business hours Wednesday.

A Friendly's restaurant down the road from the mall had part of its roof pulled off.

The National Weather Service will decide Wednesday whether to travel to Deptford to investigate whether a tornado caused the damage. Winds were clocked at more than 70 mph at the height of the storm.

Photo Credit: William Corbett

Temporary Water for Some in North Stonington


Temporary water service is available again for some North Stonington neighborhoods that lost water after a pressure tank failure and water is being made available to the other customers affected, according to a notice from the North Stonington Department of Emergency Management.

More than 200 homes and businesses in North Stonington that do not have wells were without most of Tuesday, according to the Southeastern CT Water Authority, and many still don't have access.

But temporary water service has been restored for Holly Green, Kingswood, Meadow Wood and Village areas, according to emergency management officials from town. However, residents are advised to boil tap water or used bottled water for cooking, washing fruits and vegetables, brushing their teeth, making baby formula or washing hands when cooking, according to the release. Bottled water or cooled boiled water should be used for bathing infants, toddlers, elderly citizens and people with weak immune systems, according to town officials. You can make the boiled water taste better by sifting between two clean containers a few times and let it cool before drinking it or handling it.

Adults in the homes with temporary water services restored can shower, but are warned not to swallow the water, North Stonington emergency officials said.

For any residents without water, North Stonington fire house on Route 2 and the Rocky Hollow Rec Area have hoses they are making available to residents to fill containers with water. They also have bottled water.

The Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation also donated more than 1,000 bottles of water to help the people and businesses without water in North Stonington.

There was a major problem with a pressure tank that failed on Monday night and it could be awhile before water is fully restored, according to the water authority. 

The tank on Route 2 across from the Holly Green shopping plaza holds 5,000 and there were 2,500 gallons of water in it at the time.

North Stonington First Selectman Nicholas Mullane II said there was significant damage to a well site that services about 229 people in the area, cutting the water supply to housing developments nearby and businesses along Route 2. The roof at the pump house collapsed, so the pump station needs to be replaced, according to Mullane and Josh Cansler, general manager of the water authority

"A tank let go and totally obliterated the pump station," Mullane said.

Cansler said they started getting complaints and calls about the water situation around 3 a.m.  and  229 customers in North Stonington were affected, including 13 businesses.

The pressure tank is 20 to 30 years old and crews are working to figure out why it broke.

Cansler said that number isn't considered old and that the system had met all requirements when it was inspected Monday before the pressure tank failure. It could take days to fix.

There were chemicals in the room that didn't prove hazardous, but the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection responded as a precaution, Mullane II said.

"The issue right now is how we'll be able to provide the temporary services and supply to those who are out of water," Mullane II said.

Truckloads of water from Connecticut Water were brought in Tuesday afternoon to fill the tank up with some water to begin the temporary restoration process for customers.

There is no indication of foul play, officials said, and state and town officials spent the day investigating why the 20- to 30-year old tank and broke.

“So, when it came apart, it came apart with some force and everything that’s around it was significantly damaged and it did cause the roof of the building to collapse,” Josh Cansler, of Southeast Connecticut Water Authority, said.

Many businesses have had to close because of the tank explosion.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Whole Foods Overcharging: NYC


An investigation by the Department of Consumer Affairs has found that Whole Food's New York City stores have been overstating the weights of pre-packaged products — including meats, dairy and baked goods — resulting in customers being overcharged, the agency said Wednesday.

The department said it will expand its investigation into the chain to examine the extent of its overcharging for pre-packaged foods, based on its initial findings.

The DCA tested 80 different pre-packaged products and found that all of them had mislabeled weights. On top of that, 89 percent of the packages tested didn't meet the federal standard for the maximum amount that an individual package can deviate from its actual weight, as set by the U.S. Department of Commerce. The overcharges ranged from $0.80 for a package of pecan panko to nearly $15 more for a package of coconut shrimp.

“Our inspectors tell me this is the worst case of mislabeling they have seen in their careers," DCA Commissioner Julie Menin said.

The findings point to a "systematic problem" with how the product packages at Whole Foods are weighed and labeled, the agency said. It said packages are routinely not weighed or are inaccurately weighed. Some items had all been labeled with the same weight, despite the fact that it would be practically impossible for the individual packages of the items to weigh the same amount. These products included nuts, berries, vegetables and seafood. In some cases, the labeling issue was found with the same exact products at multiple stores throughout NYC.

In one case, the DCA inspected eight packages of vegetable platters that were priced at $20 per package. They found that customers who purchased the platters were overcharged $2.50 on average. Whole Foods made a $20 profit on the eight packages, the DCA said.

In another case, the DCA inspected eight packages of chicken tenders, which were priced at $9.99 per pound. Consumers would have been overcharged $4.13 on average -- a profit of $33.04 for Whole Foods for those eight packages. One package was overpriced by $4.85, the DCA said.

A third inspection of four packages of berries, priced at $8.58 per package, found that customers would have been overcharged by $1.15 on average. That's a $4.60 profit for the four packages. One package was overpriced by $1.84, the DCA said.

“It is unacceptable that New Yorkers shopping for a summer BBQ or who grab something to eat from the self-service aisles at New York City’s Whole Foods stores have a good chance of being overcharged,” Menin said. "As a large chain grocery store, Whole Foods has the money and resources to ensure greater accuracy and to correct what appears to be a widespread problem."

The DCA regularly inspects all of the city’s supermarkets for scanner and scale accuracy, pricing, and charging tax on non-taxable items. It began its inspections of Whole Foods' weighing and labeling practices last fall. It revisited several stores in the winter and found that the products continued to be mislabeled. The expanded investigation announced by the agency will further evaluate the company's compliance with city and state laws.

In a statement to NBC New York, Whole Foods spokesman Michael Sinatra said, "We disagree with the DCA's overreaching allegations." He said Whole Foods cooperated fully with the department until it made "grossly excessive monetary demands" to settle the dispute.

"Despite our requests to the DCA, they have not provided evidence to back up their demands nor have they requested any additional information from us, but instead have taken this to the media to coerce us," Sinatra said. "Our customers are our number one stakeholder and we highly value their trust in us."

Sinatra said it has always been Whole Foods' policy to fully refund any items found to have been incorrectly weighed or priced, and that the company "has never intentionally used deceptive practices to incorrectly charge customers."

The fine for falsely labeling a package is as much as $950 for the first violation and up to $1,700 for a subsequent violation, according to the DCA. The potential number of violations that Whole Foods faces for all pre-packaged goods in the NYC stores is in the thousands.

An investigation in California, which began in 2012, also found pricing irregularities in the state's Whole Foods stores. A civil consumer protection case on behalf of Californians was brought by city attorneys for Santa Monica, Los Angeles and San Diego. The case resulted in Whole Foods paying close to $800,000 in penalties. The company also began a stringent in-house pricing accuracy effort, which included a statewide compliance coordinator and random audits.

There are nine Whole Foods stores in New York City and the company reportedly plans to open a new location in Harlem. It also recently announced plans to open a lower-priced chain of stores called 365 by Whole Foods Market, which it says will offer "a simple way to shop for healthy, high-quality food at great prices."

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Uptick in Car and Home Burglaries in Winchester


Winchester police are asking for the public's help in determining the owners of stolen items recovered and to provide any information that can help them find the person(s) responsible.

There has been an uptick in car and home burglaries in recent weeks, police said.

On June 21, a Winchester police officer recovered a chain saw, skill saw and some tools in the Lake Street area that had been stolen. The owners are unknown and the items haven't been claimed.

Police are hoping to figure out to whom the items belong.

Winchester police ask anyone with information to contact the department at 860-379-2721.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Police to Give Update in Murder of Simsbury Mom


Mystery still surrounds the stabbing death of an insurance executive in Simsbury last November, but police will hold a news conference at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday to provide what they call a “general update” on the homicide investigation.

Melissa Millan, a 54-year-old Simsbury mother and senior vice president at Mass Mutual Insurance, had been jogging along Iron Horse Boulevard one Thursday night last November when she was stabbed, according to police.

She was found lying on the street around 8 p.m. and died a short time after an ambulance rushed her to Saint Francis Hospital, according to police.

Police originally thought Millan was the victim of a hit-and-run, but later determined she was the victim of a stabbing.

Police have said it’s not clear if the homicide was random and no one has been charged in the case.

In the days that followed the fatal attack, police increased patrols on the busy street, which is home to several restaurants and the Performing Arts Center at Simsbury Meadows.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live