A 55-year-old man who died in the 2001 World Trade Center attack has had a piece of his remains identified for the first time, officials said Wednesday.
The medical examiner's office said the identification was made by retesting remains recovered during the cleanup operation that ended 11 years ago next month.
It was not linked to the new sifting of debris from construction sites around the trade center site that began earlier this month.
The identification of the victim, whose name was not released, brings the total number of people whose remains have been found to 1,635. The attacks in New York killed 2,750 people.
The medical examiner has said it will continue to work with the thousands of pieces of remains it has collected, as new technology becomes available.
Photo Credit: AP