Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News Top Stories

older | 1 | .... | 2470 | 2471 | (Page 2472) | 2473 | 2474 | .... | 2520 | newer

    0 0

    Police said they stopped a school bus driver after receiving a report she was driving recklessly and running stop signs in Naugatuck with teens on the bus and they found her with marijuana.

    Police said they received a call just after 6 p.m. Thursday from someone who reported seeing two juveniles fighting on a bus that was parked at Breen Field Park, so the caller approached the bus, but the driver sped away.

    The caller then followed the bus and police were able to stop it on Spring Street, police said.

    In the bus, police found the bus driver, 48-year-old Grace McPhail, of Naugatuck, and two teens under the age of 18.

    As they investigated, police said they realized that neither of the teens were students who McPhail was responsible for transporting. One was a relative and the other was an acquaintance, according to police, and the three had been at Breen Field when the park was closed.

    McPhail told them she was off duty but was driving the bus with permission of her employer, First Student, and claimed she was driving fast and running stop signs because a car was following her and she was scared, according to a news release from police.

    Then, police smelled marijuana and they said McPhail was in possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

    She told police that she had not been smoking marijuana, but the kids had been smoking it.

    Officers contacted First Student, which confirmed she is a driver and has permission to drive the bus to and from work only but not for personal use, police said.

    An official from First Student told NBC Connecticut that they have begun the process to fire McPhail

    “We are incredibly disappointed by the actions of our driver. Behavior such as this is completely unacceptable and totally at odds with what we stand for as a company. We have initiated the termination process,” First Student said in a statement.

    Police arrested McPhail and charged her with sale of controlled substance, risk of injury to a child, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, third-degree criminal trespass and reckless driving.

    Bond was set at $5,000. Mcphail is due in court today.

    Photo Credit: Naugatuck Police

    0 0

    Former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger is now facing a murder charge in the shooting death of unarmed neighbor Botham Jean, court records show.

    Guyger, 30,  who is white, was charged with manslaughter Sept. 9 following an investigation by the Texas Rangers into the Sept. 6 fatal shooting that killed her black neighbor, 26-year-old accountant Botham Jean. Upon hearing the evidence, the grand jury opted Friday to indict Guyger on the more serious murder charge and took no action on the manslaughter charge filed by the Texas Rangers.

    Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson said Friday afternoon that even though the Texas Rangers were the lead investigative agency in the case, her office conducted their own investigtion and that she was confident once the grand jury heard the evidence presented by her office that they would "do the right thing."

    "Our office ... did a thorough job of presenting this case to the grand jury. Not only presenting the evidence but also explaining the law," Johnson said. "Once the grand jury heard this case, they did return an indictment for murder."

    Jean's family, who have filed a federal lawsuit against Guyger and the city of Dallas, stood beside Johnson Friday as she discussed the grand jury's decision.

    Jean's mother, Allison Jean, told the media she was satisfied with the murder indictment and thanked the people of Dallas for rallying around her son.

    "I'm truly grateful for that. I want to thank the DA's office, particularly DA Faith Johnson, for the work that her staff have put into gathering evidence and presenting to the grand jury in order to return such an indictment," Allison Jean said. "I look forward to the next step, which is a conviction of murder of Amber Guyger. And more so of a penalty, the proper penalty that will cause her to reflect on what she has done and the pain she has caused... So, I'm depending on you to continue to rally with us as we seek continued justice for him."

    Botham's father, Bertrum Jean, added, "It is such a hard thing to go through. We miss our boy dearly. He didn't deserve that. He was such a sweet boy, in his home. How can we move on without him? But we will try."

    Botham Jean, a native of St. Lucia who attended college in Arkansas and had been working in Dallas for PwC, was in his own apartment Sept. 6 when Guyger shot and killed him. Following the shooting she told investigators she'd left work and was returning home to her apartment at the South Side Flats when she apparently got off on the wrong floor and entered the wrong apartment -- she said she shot Jean believing he was an intruder in her apartment.

    Investigators would later confirm that Jean lived one floor directly above Guyger.

    The case sparked protests and national debate over what charges she should face.

    Dallas Chief of Police U. Renee Hall said Friday, "Every person in the Dallas Police Department continues to feel anguish about this difficult and tragic event that occurred on Sept. 6, 2018 ... Please continue to pray for the Botham Jean family, the Dallas Police Department and the city of Dallas as a whole."

    Hall also acknowledged some of the discord between communities and police and said her department supports restructuring the Citizen Review Board, pushed for more implicit bias training and continues to work with employee and community advisory boards.

    Of the indictment, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said, "Botham Jean was an incredible young man who was tragically taken from us too soon. Our city will never forget him. Today’s decision is another step on the long path toward justice for Botham. We appreciate the work of the Texas Rangers and the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office. Please continue to pray for the Jean family."

    Following the murder indictment, the Dallas chapter of the NAACP released the following statement:

    "We are pleased with the decision of the grand jury to indict Amber Guyger for murder for the killing of Mr. Botham Shem Jean. This is the next step in securing a verdict that will be favorable to the evidence that will be presented by the District Attorney’s Office. We would like to thank the District Attorney’s Office for the thorough investigation that they have conducted in gathering evidence in the pursuit of justice. We call on the community to remain calm and let the criminal proceedings take its due course. However, we ask that you join us in continued prayer and support for the family and friends of Mr. Botham Shem Jean. The Dallas NAACP will remain vigilant in monitoring the proceedings of this case and look forward to justice being rendered."

    Guyger turned herself in for a 'walk through' at the Mesquite Jail on Friday afternoon. She will not be re-arrested on the new charge and her bond of $300,000 carries over from the manslaughter charge. She faces life in prison on the murder charge; the manslaughter charge carried a sentence of up to 20 years.

    Johnson, whose term is up as Dallas County DA in January 2019, said she's hopeful the new DA can convince a jury to return a proper verdict in the case.

    NBC 5's Tim Ciesco, Scott Gordon, Ken Kalthoff and Alice Barr contributed to this report.

    0 0

    Hartford Police have confiscated a stun gun that looked like a smartphone after an 11-year-old student brought it to school on Thursday.

    Officers were called to McDonough Middle School on Hillside Avenue around 9:25 a.m. after getting a report of a recovered stun gun.

    Police said school security learned an 11-year-old child was in possession of a stun gun and recovered it in the child's locker.

    According to police, the stun gun was created to look like a smartphone and could only be distinguished by manipulation. Officers conducted a spark test and determined that the stun gun was functional.

    An officer met with the child's family and advised them of the violation. Police said the child was immediately suspended and was released to her guardian.

    The replica cell phone stun gun was confiscated and tagged as evidence. Police said the stun gun falls within definition of Connecticut General Statute 53-206, which is carrying/possessing a dangerous weapon. The child and her guardian were issued a juvenile summons.

    Photo Credit: Hartford Police

    0 0

    A mother from Burlington is facing charges after she was found impaired and covered in her own vomit with her child in the car during a traffic stop in Farmington on Thursday.

    Farmington Police said 46-year-old Rachel Young Jaques, of Burlington, was arrested after a 911 call about her erratic driving on Farmington Avenue around 10:30 p.m.

    When officers tried to stop her, they said they discovered she was covered in vomit and her 6-year-old daughter was in the vehicle.

    Jaques is facing a DUI charge and other motor vehicle charges.

    She was released on a $2,500 bond.

    Photo Credit: Farmington Police

    0 0

    A vending machine offering emergency contraception is coming soon to the Yale University campus.

    “There will definitely be Plan B in there and there will definitely some sort of other over the counter medications and there will definitely be condoms available near the machine,” said Ileana Valdez, a Yale College Council senator.

    Valdez said the inspiration came from a similar health and wellness machine at Stanford University.

    “This idea took off on campus because most of the students don’t have cars so the nearest pharmacy is a pretty long walk away,” Valdez said, “especially with the installation of the new colleges.”

    Yale student Grace Cheung proposed the idea last school year.

    “I proposed this vending machine because I saw it done at other universities and hoped it would solve the problems of access and stigma related to getting emergency contraception at Yale,” Cheung wrote in an email. “It is often difficult to get, both at Yale Health, and at nearby pharmacies, and it is often a very uncomfortable and humiliating process. Emergency contraception decreases in effectiveness the longer you wait to take it, so ease of access is especially important. In addition, I hoped this machine would not just help make it more of a private process for students, but to also open up the conversation around safe sex on campus.”

    The new machine is expected to be installed before students leave for winter break and it will be located in the Good Life Center at Silliman College, Valdez said.

    “I think it makes it a lot more accessible to students especially since this is much closer to where a lot of students,” Yale junior Larissa Nguyen said.

    Plan B, also known as the “morning after pill,” is already available to students for free at the Yale Health Center on Lock Street.

    "Yale Health has made emergency contraception products, such as Plan B and My Way, available free of charge to Yale-affiliated members, including students who waive Yale Health coverage. Members of any gender may request emergency contraception at the pharmacy during regular hours, or from Acute Care after hours. The Paragard IUD is another emergency contraceptive option available in the Ob-Gyn department. Comprehensive counseling regarding contraception and reproductive health are available to all students in the Ob-Gyn department or in Student Health," Yale University Spokesperson Karen Peart said in a statement.

    “I definitely don’t think enough students know it’s kind of not made clear on the websites I think because Yale doesn’t want to be super public with it, but it would be great if there could be more communication about that,” Yale junior Trina White told NBC Connecticut.

    The College Council is working to spread the word about Plan B’s 24/7 availability at the health center, Valdez said, adding the benefit of the new machine “gets rid of the fear that one might have going to the health center and having to talk someone especially if this is something that’s happening late at night.”

    Valdez said they want to work with the Yale Health Center to subsidize the cost for Plan B in the machine. She said at first the prices will be similar to what you would find at a pharmacy.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    A Branford mom finds her late son’s name in a lottery ticket, and its winner in more ways than one.

    Amy Johansson misses her son, Eric, deeply.

    He walked into the room and he let it up,” she said. “He gives his shirt off his back. He loves his family, and he loves his friends.”

    Eric died five years old from substance abuse. He was just 24 years old.

    “It changes you,” said Johansson. “Part of me, my heart, died with him.”

    Amy stills sees signs of Eric in her everyday life, but none quite as clear as the message in a lottery ticket she purchased last week.

    “I started scratching and I could see my son’s name.” she said. “E-R-I-C. I knew I was going to win something.”

    The ticket was a $10,000 winner.

    “That much money, too,” she said. “It was mine blowing.”

    Not only is Eric’s name on the ticket, but in the puzzle so is the word “love.” Amy will use the winnings to support Smile Anyway, an organization she started as a tribute to Eric.

    “It’s a nonprofit that is educating and raising awareness on the drug epidemic in our area,” she said.

    Amy says if she can save another mother from what she went through, that would be the biggest jackpot of all.

    “Our loved ones are always with us, watching over us,” Johansson said. “I can’t think of a better way, or a stronger sign of it, then that lottery ticket.”

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    Route 83 in Vernon has reopened after a serious crash closed it for hours on Friday afternoon.

    Police said the crash happened at Route 83 and Hockanum Boulevard shortly before 3 p.m.

    Officers said one driver, an adult male, was taken by ambulance to Hartford Hospital with life-threatening injuries. A second driver, an adult female, was taken to Manchester Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

    Route 83 was closed between Dobson Road and Merline Road and there were major traffic delays. The road has since reopened.

    A reconstruction team responded to the scene to perform skid tests and take measurements.

    This is the second crash on Route 83 this week resulting in serious injuries, police said.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    Some snow flurries are falling today and a dusting is possible, but a rainstorm this weekend will have a bigger impact. 

    The NBC Connecticut meteorologists have issued a first alert for heavy rain from Saturday night into Sunday morning. 

    More than one inch of rain could fall, primarily in Southern Connecticut, smaller rivers are likely to rise quickly and some street flooding is possible. 

    The rain will begin late Saturday evening. Track the storm on interactive radar. 

    Get the forecast at any time here. 

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    0 0

    The streets of Norwich will be filled with thousands of people Saturday all ready to share in holiday cheer as part of the 31st annual Winterfest Parade.

    New this year, the parade route was changed to bring it into downtown because of the cost of closing roads for the old route—the parade is funded by donations – plus organizers hope it gives downtown businesses a boost.

    “What’s great about that is people who may not necessarily be here might say, ‘Oh this is a really amazing coffee shop, I’m going to come back.’ ‘This is a great restaurant, we’d like to come back and have dinner sometime,’” said Miria Toth, treasurer of the Norwich Events Organization that’s organizing the Winterfest Parade.

    Between 2,000 and 3,000 people are expected downtown for the event. This year’s theme is “Vintage Christmas.”

    Matthew DuTrumble opened Craftsman Cliff Roasters about six months ago and is looking forward to the extra foot traffic.

    “I think this is exposing the downtown to a lot of people who might not have been here for a couple of years. See all the energy and things that are happening down here,” DuTrumbull said.

    There’s also more community participation with close to 60 community floats—more than last year.

    “Kicks off Christmas season here in Norwich,” said Winterfest Parade Committee Chair Dana Dowdell, adding also for the first time, kids are judging the parade.

    “We like to have events that are free for the community, that are good family events, that bring people into the downtown,” Toth said.

    Norwich Events Organization also sponsored a wreath event to fill vacant storefronts with holiday cheer.

    The Winterfest Parade starts at 1 p.m. The route for the parade is highlighted below.

    There is also the Norwich Winterfest 5K taking place Saturday morning.

    For information about road closures, click here

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    0 0

    The Trump administration cannot withhold millions of dollars in public safety grants from "sanctuary" states, a federal judge in New York ruled Friday.

    The "court concludes that defendants did not have lawful authority to impose these conditions," Judge Edgardo Ramos wrote in his 43-page decision.

    The attorneys general of New York and six other states had filed suit against the Department of Justice earlier this year, charging the agency had improperly tacked on three immigration-related conditions they had to comply with in order to get grants for criminal justice initiatives.

    The judge ordered the DOJ to release more "than $29 million in grant funds that plaintiffs would otherwise use for law enforcement and public safety purposes."

    Photo Credit: Zach Gibson/Getty Images

    In this Nov. 7, 2018, file photo, the U.S. Department of Justice is pictured in Washington, DC.In this Nov. 7, 2018, file photo, the U.S. Department of Justice is pictured in Washington, DC.

    0 0

    Vernon Police have arrested a former Board of Education employee, who is accused of stealing hundreds of dollars from a school cafeteria.

    Police said they were notified by the Vernon Board of Education and the Town of Vernon about a possible embezzlement from the Food Service funds.

    Detectives conducted an investigation that resulted in the arrest of 54-year-old Paul Olson, of Cheshire. Olson, who was previously employed as the Director of Food and Nutrition for the Vernon Board of Education, surrendered himself to police on Thursday after learning of a warrant for his arrest.

    Olson is accused of stealing a cash deposit of about $648 from school cafeteria revenue, while he was serving as director.

    Police said the learned that Olson was designated to receive cash deposits from each school cafeteria in a locked bag. He would then process the cash and checks and prepare them for a bank account. A courier transported the money from the schools to Olson and then to the bank for deposit.

    According to police, during one of the transactions, the courier noticed that single deposit bag was missing. Olson allegedly told the courier that he had directly deposited those funds into the bank, which violated the internal financial controls and town policy.

    Officers said the courier immediately alerted a member of the Town of Vernon Finance Staff, who then reported the irregularity to the administration. The administration determined that it was likely a theft and called police.

    Vernon Police did a joint investigation with the Board of Education and Town of Vernon Finance Department.

    Investigators believe Olson forged the signature of the courier on a log documenting the deposit bag. He also is accused of giving a false statement to the detectives who were investigating the theft.

    Olson is facing charges including larceny, false statement, criminal impersonation, identity theft and forgery. He posted his $10,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on December 11.

    Photo Credit: Vernon Police

    0 0

    It's true that a small act of kindness can go a long way.

    Gail Cook, a resident of Ferndale, Maryland, said one such act brightened her day when she came home on Wednesday.

    She discovered strong winds had brought down her family's flagpole.

    But when she reached her doorstep, she saw that someone had neatly folded their American flag and placed it in a box that sits on their front porch.

    When she pulled up the video from her Nest camera to see who she could thank, she saw her FedEx delivery driver Mike King.

    But the Cooks didn't have any packages delivered that day. King had gone out of his way to fold the flag.

    "I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I have to share this so people know what he's done,'" Cook said.

    She posted the video on Facebook and also reached out to King to thank him.

    "It's the Marine way," King said in the comments on her post. "I couldn't just drive by and do nothing."

    The post has garnered dozens of shares and positive comments from the Ferndale community.

    "How extremely thoughtful!" said one commenter.

    "Awesome act of patriotism," commented another.

    Cook said King has delivered packages to their home for several years.

    She said she and her husband got their Nest camera a few years ago as a way to keep tabs on the neighborhood and make sure their two children are safe.

    She said she never expected such a nice moment to come from having the camera.

    "We're just very grateful to him for stopping and, you know, taking the time out of his day because I'm sure this is a busy week for him," Cook said. "You know, Cyber Monday - I'm sure he had a ton of packages to deliver and he took the time to fold the flag and fold our other flag ... he even came back to make sure he put them in a safer place so the wind didn't continue to blow them that day."

    Cook said she reached out to FedEx and hopes they recognize King for his good deed.

    News4 has reached out to King for comment, but has not yet heard back.

    Photo Credit: Courtesy of Gail Cook
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    A FedEx driver went out of his way to fold a family's American flag that fell on the ground in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, on Nov. 28, 2018.A FedEx driver went out of his way to fold a family's American flag that fell on the ground in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, on Nov. 28, 2018.

    0 0

    Federal agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement since April have conducted at least three   major  raids across New Jersey, arresting nearly 190 people suspected of being undocumented immigrants.

    That followed a 12-month period during which ICE's Newark, New Jersey, field office increased its arrest rate 42 percent during fiscal year 2017, according to an analysis by the Pew Research Center.

    Now, a day after New Jersey's attorney general announced new rules restricting local law enforcement officers' interaction with immigration agents, ICE is threatening even more raids.

    A spokesman for the Newark office said in a statement Friday to NBC Philadelphia that New Jersey should expect increased arrests because of the new rules.

    "The probability is that at large arrests and worksite enforcement operations, which already exist, will likely increase due to the fact that ICE ERO will no longer have the cooperation of the jails related to immigration enforcement," ICE spokesman Emilio Dabul said in an email.

    He added that since the agency's "highest priority is public safety and enforcing immigration laws, we must pursue that to the best extent possible, which will likely involve more at large arrests and worksite enforcement operations."

    The threat is apparently in response to state Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal's "Immigrant Trust Directive" announced Thursday. It limits the type of voluntary assistance that law enforcement agencies provide to immigration authorities, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

    The new rules are meant to strengthen the trust between local law enforcement and immigrants in the state, Grewal said.

    New Jersey has one of the highest undocumented immigrant populations in the nation, with an estimated 500,000 people living without legal citizenship as of 2014, according to the Pew Research Center.

    The new rules, the attorney general said, will encourage immigrants to come forward when crimes are committed.

    [[500963582, C]]

    "With this directive, we hope to draw immigrants out of the shadows and into our communities. We hope to create an environment where residents feel safe around our officers, whether they're reporting a crime or simply striking up a conversation," he said.

    An Immigration and Customs Enforcement official initially criticized the new directive.

    "The New Jersey Attorney General's decision to further limit law enforcement's ability to cooperate with ICE undermines public safety and hinders ICE from performing its federally-mandated mission," ICE Deputy Director Matthew Albence said in a statement.

    "Ultimately, this directive shields certain criminal aliens, creating a state-sanctioned haven for those seeking to evade federal authorities, all at the expense of the safety and security of the very people the NJ Attorney General is charged with protecting," Albence added.

    [[437112913, C]]

    Though Grewal emphasized that the new policies will not make New Jersey a so-called sanctuary state for undocumented individuals who commit crimes, the change does mimic actions by other cities and states that have moved to limit cooperation with federal immigration enforcement agents since President Donald Trump took office.

    Police departments and corrections officers will not be allowed to hold those arrested for minor offenses past their original release dates, even if ICE submits an immigration detainer request.

    Agencies will still be allowed to notify ICE of inmates' pending release if they have committed a serious crime like murder, rape, arson, assault or domestic violence, but officers will only be allowed to keep those inmates in custody until 11:59 p.m. the day of their scheduled release.

    [[421015603, C]]

    Unless granted permission by the state attorney general, however, law enforcement agencies are also prevented from entering into or renewing Section 287(g) agreements with federal authorities, which allow state local agencies to enforce federal civil immigration laws.

    Officers also cannot stop, question, arrest, search, or detain a person simply because they believe that person may be undocumented.

    Officers are also barred from asking people about their immigration status unless doing so is necessary while investigating a serious crime.

    The directive goes into effect March 15, 2019.

    Photo Credit: John Moore/Getty Images

    ICE agents detain a suspected MS-13 gang member and Honduran immigrant at his home on March 29, 2018 in Brentwood, New York.ICE agents detain a suspected MS-13 gang member and Honduran immigrant at his home on March 29, 2018 in Brentwood, New York.

    0 0

    After former President George H.W. Bush died Friday night, he was remembered as a humble patriot and man of character by other presidents, including his son, and others in the political world. 

    "George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for," said former President George W. Bush, who served in the Oval Office eight years after his father, in a statement. "The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens." 

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump said they join the nation in mourning Trump's inspiring and faithful predecessor, according to a statement released early in the morning in Argentina, where they are attending the G-20 summit. 

    "President Bush guided our Nation, and the world, to a peaceful and victorious conclusion of the Cold War," they said. "As President, he set the stage for the decades of prosperity that have followed. And through all that he accomplished, he remained humble, following the quiet call to service that gave him a clear sense of direction."

    Former President Barack Obama had visited with Bush in Houston earlier in the week, and he and Michelle Obama called Bush a "patriot and humble servant" of his country with "a legacy of service that may never be matched" in a statement released shortly after his death.

    "George H.W. Bush’s life is a testament to the notion that public service is a noble, joyous calling. And he did tremendous good along the journey," they said, citing his role in bringing the Cold War to an end, saving Kuwait from Saddam Hussein and legislative achievements. 

    Former President Bill Clinton also paid tribute to Bush with a statement made with his wife Hillary, saying "he never stopped serving." 

    "Few Americans have been—or will ever be—able to match President Bush’s record of service to the United States and the joy he took every day from it; from his military service in World War II, to his work in Congress, the United Nations, China, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Vice Presidency and the Presidency, where he worked to move the post Cold War world toward greater unity, peace, and freedom."

    Many others, from former Vice President Dan Quayle to senators and beyond, joined in remembering Bush. 

    Photo Credit: Arnie Sachs/CNP/Getty Images
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    President George H.W. Bush sits behind his desk in the White House's Oval Office, on Dec. 25, 1991, after announcing the resignation of Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev.President George H.W. Bush sits behind his desk in the White House's Oval Office, on Dec. 25, 1991, after announcing the resignation of Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev.

    0 0

    Born to Sen. Prescott Bush and Dorothy Walker Bush in Milton, Massachusetts, George Herbert Walker Bush served one term as the 41st president of the United States of America from 1989-1993. Click here to look back at some of former President George H.W. Bush's highlights.

    Photo Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

    George H. Bush, newly appointed United Nations Ambassador shown Dec. 18, 1970. (AP Photo/John Duricka)George H. Bush, newly appointed United Nations Ambassador shown Dec. 18, 1970. (AP Photo/John Duricka)

    0 0

    Connecticut State Police are investigating an attempted robbery in Prospect that left one person dead on Friday night.

    Troopers were dispatched to Route 69 Auto Sales shortly before 7 p.m. after getting a report of an attempted robbery.

    Police said two men entered the store and began assaulting at least three people inside. During that time, one of the victims, who police said is a legal permit holder in Connecticut, fired at least one shot and both suspects fled on foot.

    According to police, one of the suspects was struck by at least one bullet and was found dead behind the store. The second suspect is still at large.

    "At this time, we're asking members of the public to stay vigilant, keep their doors and windows locked. If they see anyhting out of the ordinary, any person out of the ordinary in their neighborhoods, we ask them to contact Troop I or contact 911 to report this behavior," police said.

    Members of the Central District Major Crimes Division are canvassing the area to try and find video footage.

    The victims were transported to the hospital to be treated for non life-threatening injuries.

    Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

    0 0

    George Herbert Walker Bush, who as the 41st president guided the United States out of the Cold War and led an international coalition into the Gulf War, has died. He was 94. 

    Bush passed at 10:10 p.m. Friday, according to a statement from family spokesman Jim McGrath.

    "Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died," said former President George W. Bush in a statement. "George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens."

    He was quickly remembered as a humble patriot, dedicated public servant and beloved family man by President Donald Trump, former President Barack Obama and others.

    "Through his essential authenticity, disarming wit, and unwavering commitment to faith, family, and country, President Bush inspired generations of his fellow Americans to public service—to be, in his words, 'a thousand points of light' illuminating the greatness, hope, and opportunity of America to the world," Trump and first lady Melania Trump said in a statement."

    Bush was a World War II naval pilot who survived being shot down over the Pacific, led the CIA and spent eight years as vice president before taking the Oval Office. He was the father of the 43rd president, George W. Bush.

    His wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush, who used her time as first lady to advocate for literacy, died on April 17. 

    George H.W. Bush became the first former U.S. president to turn 94 on June 12. The nation's 41st president was receiving calls and taking it easy at his seaside home in Maine eight days after being released from a hospital where he was treated for low blood pressure, said Chief of Staff Jean Becker.

    Bush's office shared a letter from the president in which he said, "My heart is full on the first day of my 95th year."

    "As many of you know, for years I have said the three most important things in life are faith, family and friends. My faith has never been stronger," the former president wrote in the letter.

    Several of his children were in town, including former President George W. Bush, who posted a smiling photo of the two of them on Instagram.

    "I'm a lucky man to be named for George Bush and to be with `41' on his 94th birthday," wrote Bush, the nation's 43rd president.

    Another son, Neil Bush, called on people in a newspaper opinion piece to volunteer and "to become a point of light."

    Bush, a Republican who served as President Ronald Reagan's vice president for two terms, was elected to the country's highest office in 1988. He beat Democrat Michael Dukakis in an electoral landslide and with 54 percent of the popular vote.

    In his inaugural presidential address, Bush spoke of "a thousand points of light" across the country, community organizations that were doing good and with which he promised to work. He pledged in "a moment rich with promise" to use American strength as "a force for good." 

    A member of a longtime politically influential American family, Bush led the United States during a time of intense international change, including the fall of Communism in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, and turmoil in the Middle East. His public approval rating soared to 89 percent after he presided over a U.S.-led coalition of 32 countries that drove Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army from Kuwait in 1991. After signing a strategic arms reduction agreement to reduce nuclear weapons with the Soviet Union's Mikhail Gorbachev, Bush accomplished a second agreement in early January 1993 with Russian President Boris Yeltsin after the USSR collapsed. 

    "Even as president, with the most fascinating possible vantage point, there were times when I was so busy managing progress and helping to lead change that I didn't always show the joy that was in my heart," Bush said in his final State of the Union address. "But the biggest thing that has happened in the world in my life, in our lives, is this: By the grace of God, America won the Cold War." 

    Despite his strength in foreign policy, Bush was ultimately limited to a single term as president over a sputtering U.S. economy. The unemployment rate, at 5.3 percent during his first year in office, rose to 7.4 percent in 1992. Confronted with rising deficits, Bush famously signed a bill that raised taxes despite the Republican's earlier campaign vow: "Read my lips: no new taxes." His public approval, once sky high, plummeted in his final year in office to below 50 percent. 

    While he lost re-election to Bill Clinton in 1992, his work laid a foundation for his son George W. Bush to win the White House in 2000.

    "Two presidents in one family, that's pretty good," George H.W. Bush told his granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager for a "Today" interview on his 88th birthday. 

    Another son, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, lost a bid for the Republican nomination in 2016 to Trump. Bush even saw his grandson, George P. Bush, enter politics. The Fort Worth resident won the position of Texas land commissioner in March 2014. 

    Bush was born June 12, 1924, in Milton, Massachusetts, the youngest of five children. He was raised in Connecticut by his mother Dorothy Walker Bush, and his father, Prescott Bush, who served as a U.S. senator. 

    After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Bush enlisted in the military on his 18th birthday and became the Navy's youngest pilot at the time. He flew 58 combat missions in World War II before being shot down by the Japanese in 1944. Bush was rescued by a submarine and awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for bravery in action. 

    Back home, Bush married Barbara Pierce on Jan. 6, 1945, and the couple went on to have six children; George, Pauline (who was known as Robin and who died as a child of leukemia), John (known as Jeb), Neil, Marvin and Dorothy. 

    Bush was accepted to Yale University before enlistment, and once stateside, enrolled in an accelerated program that allowed him to graduate in two and a half years instead of four. While at Yale, the left-handed first baseman played in the first College World Series. 

    In 1948, Bush graduated from the university with a bachelor of arts degree in economics. He moved the family to west Texas and achieved success in the oil industry, but like his father, he was drawn to politics. 

    After an unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate in 1964, Bush won a House seat in 1966 representing Houston. He was re-elected in 1968 but gave up his seat two years later to run for the Senate again, and lost to Democrat Lloyd Bentsen.

    Bush was appointed to a string of government positions in the 1970s, including: United Nations ambassador, Republican National Committee chairman, envoy to China, and CIA director. At the CIA he was credited with boosting morale. 

    In 1980, Bush made a run for the White House, but the Republican Party nominated Reagan, who selected Bush as his running mate. The match was a good one. The pair went to Washington in 1981 and won a landslide re-election victory four years later.

    As vice-president, Bush traveled the world, pushing his anti-drug programs and became the first vice president to stand in as president while Reagan underwent surgery in 1985. Bush spent most of the eight hours on the tennis court. 

    Then, after eight years of loyalty, Bush tried again for the Oval Office. 

    Bush chose Indiana Sen. Dan Quayle as his running mate. At the Republican National Convention in New Orleans, Bush made the "no new taxes" pledge that would spark a backlash among some Republicans when he later reversed course.

    In 1988, Bush defeated Michael Dukakis and his running mate, Texas nemesis Lloyd Bentsen. He was sworn in as president on Jan. 20, 1989. 

    Bush’s high popularity in the wake of a decision to send American troops into Panama to bring General Manuel Noriega to face drug charges in the U.S, and later the Persian Gulf War, would prove ephemeral. 

    Bush described his defeat in his re-election bid as having given him a "terrible feeling, awful feeling."

    "I really wanted to win and worked hard. And later on people said, 'well he didn’t really care', which is crazy," he told his granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager on "Today." "I worked my heart out and it was terrible to adjust. Well then you figure life goes on." 

    After leaving office, Bush returned to private life by splitting his time between Kennebunkport, Maine, and Houston. It was not uncommon to see Bush 41 at a Houston Astros baseball game.

    In 2005, he teamed up with his former rival, Bill Clinton, to raise money for relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina and the Asian tsunami.

    His son George W. Bush published "41: A Portrait of My Father," in 2014, a wide-ranging and intimate biography of his father. In an interview on "Today" with his son and his granddaughter Bush Hager, the elder Bush talked about the intersection of family memories and key political events in their lives. 

    Asked about his presidential legacy, Bush said that he'd banned use of "the legacy word." 

    "I think history will get it right, and point out the things I did wrong, and perhaps some of the things we did right," he said. 

    In recent years, Bush was hospitalized because of various ailments. He broke a bone in his neck when he fell in his home in Kennebunkport, Maine, and suffered from shortness of breath and a bronchitis-related cough and other issues in Houston.

    Bush also made headlines in recent years for skydiving on at least three of his birthdays, according to The Associated Press, the last on his 90th, when he made a tandem parachute jump in Kennebunkport, Maine. In the summer of 2016, Bush led a group of 40 wounded warriors on a fishing trip at the helm of his speedboat, three days after his 92nd birthday celebration.

    And he made headlines in July 2013 when he shaved his head in support of a little boy — the son of a member of his Secret Service detail — battling leukemia. Later that summer, he was honored at a White House event celebrating volunteerism. 

    Bush put his presidential library at Texas A&M University in College Station and his name now is on the CIA headquarters, Houston's largest airport and a North Texas tollroad.

    There is also an aircraft carrier that bears his name. In 2009, Bush 41 and Bush 43 attended the commissioning of the USS George H.W. Bush, the 10th and last Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in the U.S. Navy. 

    Bush had the distinction of being one of only three U.S. presidents to receive an honorary knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II. He was awarded the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor, by President Barack Obama in 2011. 

    Bush is survived by his five children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

    He told Bush Hager that he was happiest while spending time with his family at sea. 

    "Aging is all right," he said in June 2012. "It's better than the alternative, which is not being here."

    Bush is survived by his five children and their spouses, 17 grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and two siblings. He was preceded in death by his wife of 73 years, Barbara; his second child Pauline Robinson “Robin” Bush; and his brothers Prescott and William or “Bucky” Bush.

    No word yet on funeral arrangements.

    Photo Credit: AP, File

    Former President George H. W. Bush appears on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C. in this Sunday, May 11, 2008 file photo.Former President George H. W. Bush appears on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C. in this Sunday, May 11, 2008 file photo.

    0 0

    Born to Sen. Prescott Bush and Dorothy Walker Bush in Milton, Massachusetts, George Herbert Walker Bush served one term as the 41st president of the United States of America from 1989-1993. Click here to look back at some of former President George H.W. Bush's highlights.

    Photo Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

    George H. Bush, newly appointed United Nations Ambassador shown Dec. 18, 1970. (AP Photo/John Duricka)George H. Bush, newly appointed United Nations Ambassador shown Dec. 18, 1970. (AP Photo/John Duricka)

    0 0

    Leaders among the migrant caravan in Tijuana, Mexico are distributing flyers in an attempt to organize a march to the border Saturday morning, according to the city's mayor.

    Mayor Juan Manuel Gastélum said he has asked Mexican federal police and Mexican immigration authorities to do whatever is necessary to stop the group from forcing Customs and Border Protection to shut down the San Ysidro Port of Entry.

    Citing an economic study, Mayor Gastélum said a Sunday incident that forced an hours-long closure of the port, one of the world's busiest land border crossings, cost his city 129 million pesos, or roughly $6.3 million, in revenue.

    According to Jason Wells, executive director of the San Ysidro, California Chamber of Commerce, there was an estimated one-day loss of $5.3 million for the more than 700 businesses that are members of the chamber.

    In that incident, a large group entered a fenced area that separates the U.S. and Mexico after pushing past a blockade of Mexican police. CBP officers fired tear gas at the crowd of men, women and children. The agency reported that some officers were hit by rocks thrown over the fence.

    The clash led CBP to shut down both vehicle and pedestrian traffic at the port.

    “Bad people, not the good people, some of them, not all of them, came in and [participated in this], walking disorderly, trying to cross the border without [the United States’] permission. I mean, that’s a criminal way of doing things,” Mayor Gastélum said.

    A Department of Homeland Security source told NBC 7 the department, as well as the CBP and other allied agencies, are aware of Saturday's planned march and are discussing preparations.

    Friday afternoon, the CBP said it would briefly shut down the Otay Mesa West Port of Entry for an "operational readiness drill." The exercise is planned for 6 a.m. and will last approximately 10 minutes, the CBP said.

    A similar exercise was he held at the San Ysidro POE on Thanksgiving. It lasted around 40 minutes.

    The agency said that exercise was designed to "evaluate readiness and assess the capabilities of CBP facilities to make sure necessary preparations."

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    Photo Credit: EFE

    AME470. TIJUANA (M�XICO), 25/11/2018.- Vista de gases lacrim�genos que la polic�a fronteriza utiliza para evitar que grupos de personas crucen hoy, la garita El Chaparral, de la ciudad de Tijuana, en el estado de Baja California (M�xico). Un grupo de migrantes de la caravana de centroamericanos que avanz� hoy hacia la garita de San Ysidro (EE.UU.) se desvi� de la ruta prevista para intentar cruzar el muro fronterizo por otros puntos, en tanto la polic�a fronteriza estadounidense les lanz� gas lacrim�geno. AME470. TIJUANA (M�XICO), 25/11/2018.- Vista de gases lacrim�genos que la polic�a fronteriza utiliza para evitar que grupos de personas crucen hoy, la garita El Chaparral, de la ciudad de Tijuana, en el estado de Baja California (M�xico). Un grupo de migrantes de la caravana de centroamericanos que avanz� hoy hacia la garita de San Ysidro (EE.UU.) se desvi� de la ruta prevista para intentar cruzar el muro fronterizo por otros puntos, en tanto la polic�a fronteriza estadounidense les lanz� gas lacrim�geno. "Se pararon unos amigos que iban a tirarse (del muro). Y nos tiraron una bomba y un americano nos hac�a se�as que nos iba a matar", indic� a Efe Alexis, un migrante hondure�o integrante de la caravana. EFE/David Guzm�n

    0 0

    Decades ago, News4's own Jim Vance got the chance to spend six hours fishing with then-President George H.W. Bush. "President Bush is one heck of a fisherman," Vance said. "I will never forget that day."

    Photo Credit: News4

    Decades ago, President George H.W. Bush went fishing with News4's own Jim Vance.Decades ago, President George H.W. Bush went fishing with News4's own Jim Vance.

older | 1 | .... | 2470 | 2471 | (Page 2472) | 2473 | 2474 | .... | 2520 | newer