Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Search for Missing Danbury Teen Ends


Police have canceled an alert for a 19-year-old from Danbury who had been missing since Saturday.

Dylan Kennedy was last seen wearing a black shirt and black pants. He was carrying a backpack.

The alert was canceled around 12:30 a.m. on Tuesday.


Photo Credit: Silver Alert

Investigators Silent on Texas DA Murder Investigations


County investigators will not confirm what a relative of former Texas judge Eric Williams told NBC 5 DFW over the weekend — that Williams is the FBI's prime suspect in the fatal shooting of a district attorney and his wife and that he could be charged with murder as early as Tuesday.

Williams, who is in custody after being arrested over the weekend and charged with making a terroristic threat, refused NBC 5 DFW's request to talk to him in jail on Monday.

After several searches this weekend, it appears Kaufman County investigators have turned their focus to Williams. Agents gathered evidence from Williams' Kaufman home as well as the home of his in-laws.

On Saturday night, agents searched a storage facility in Seagoville and towed away a white Crown Victoria. So far, investigators haven't revealed any connection between Williams and the storage unit or car.

The sheriff's department has not named any suspects in the murders of Mike McLelland and his wife, Cynthia, who were both found shot to death in their Forney home March 30. That came two months after one of McLelland's prosecutors, Mark Hasse, was gunned down near the Kaufman courthouse.

Both McLelland and Hasse had led the charge to convict Williams of stealing three computer monitors from the county last year. Williams lost his job. Both prosecutors criticized Williams' character.

Sheriff David Byrnes and the department remain tight-lipped about Williams arrest, claiming the case is under investigation. A spokesperson said more information should come out in arrest records, expected to be filed with the court on Monday.

NBC 5 DFW's Ray Villeda contributed to this report.

Scene of Boston Marathon Route

Dramatic Photos: Boston Marathon Blasts

Bombs blew up seconds apart at the finish line of the Boston Marathon leaving the streets spattered with blood and glass, three dead and more than 140 wounded. Here a Boston police officer stands guard after the blast. Click to see dramatic photos from the scene and aftermath.

Security Increased Locally


The day after explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon state police in Connecticut say security is enhanced here.

Troopers are at the airport and on train platforms. They also have canines aboard trains that are traveling through the state and remind all residents to be vigilant and report anything to State Police that is suspicious.

Officials from Metro-North said they are increasing security and bag inspections after explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Bradley Airport officials said flights are not affected, but there will be increases in security surveillance and patrols, as well as “heightened awareness.”

There will also be higher presence of fire department personnel and paramedics.

Stamford officials are also adding security.

"In the wake of the Boston Explosions, the City of Stamford continues with heightened security at prominent locations throughout the city.  As in all major cities, we have heightened our awareness, some visible and some not visible. We do not have any specific intelligence but we have to be prepared. Stamford residents should be alert and we ask them to be aware of their surroundings.”" Ted Jankowski, director of public safety, health and welfare in Stamford, said in a news release.

Officials said the New York Police Department is also on alert and indicated that they will give additional attention to the subway system.

State police said they sent two bomb technicians to Boston this afternoon to help state police with anything they need.

Gov. Dannel Malloy issued a statement as well:

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Massachusetts during this difficult time. Connecticut's law enforcement officials and emergency responders are in close contact with their counterparts both in Massachusetts and with federal homeland security officials as we continue to receive information about the horrific events in Boston. We will offer our full support to our neighboring state and assist in any way we can."

He urged residents who are trying to locate a loved one in Boston should call 617-635-4500.

How to Check on Loved Ones


More than 400 Connecticut residents registered for the Boston Marathon, and the Red Cross has set up a Web site where people can register to let family know they are OK.

You can check the list here.

You can call the mayor's hotline at  617-635-4500.

Google has also set yo a person finder.

Forty runners from the Hartford Track Club went to the marathon and all are accounted for, according to Kelly Gallagher.

A family meeting area has been set up at Boston Common, NBC News reports.

Photo Credit: AP

Flights Resume at Logan


No flights were going in or out of Boston’s Logan Airport because the Federal Aviation Administration ordered a ground stop for Logan Airport, according to the Facebook and Twitter accounts for the airport, but the airport Twitter account later Tweeted that flights are departing and arriving.

Check with your airline for delays or flight cancellations.

Metro-North is also increasing security.


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Online Tools to Connect with Loved Ones at Marathon


It was difficult to impossible to use mobile phones to check on loved ones in the wake of two explosions that rocked the Boston Marathon Monday afternoon.

Cell phone companies indicated that customers in the Boston area may have been having trouble connecting due to congestion. Earlier, The Associated Press reported that a law enforcement official, citing an intelligence briefing, said that cell phone service had been shut down in parts of Boston to prevent the chance of a remote detonation of another device. But the AP later added that officials with Verizon, Sprint and Nextel said no such requests had been made.

For those who are having trouble connecting by phone with loved ones who may have been near the scene, at least two online tools are available as alternatives.

Google launched a People Finder application where users could list that they are looking for someone or that they have information about someone.

The Red Cross maintains a "Safe and Well" listing for any disaster, natural or man-made.

Those with phone service trying to locate anyone who was at or near the marathon route can call the Boston mayor hotline at 617-635-4500. Those with any tips are being asked to call 1-800-494-TIPS.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Marathon Honored Sandy Hook Victims


The tragedy of the Boston Marathon hits home in Connecticut, which sent more than 400 runners to the big race, but it’s also significant because the marathon honored victims of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The race is 26.2 miles long and the Newtown Strong Fund dedicated each mile to one of the 26 victims of the shooting.

There was a 26-second long moment of silence at the beginning of the race and a special marker was placed at the 26-mile mark.

The marker includes the Newtown city seal surrounded by 26 stars, one for each victim.

Laura Nowacki, a spokeswoman for the Newtown Strong Fund, and the mother of a shooting survivor is OK.

Lisa Abrams, whose husband, Thomas is one of nine runners with Team Newtown Strong, spoke with the Connecticut Post and said her husband sent her a text about the explosion.

"Newtown cannot handle any more of this," Lisa Abrams told the Post, "We don't need any more stress, no more heartache.''

Karen Alexander, of Sandy Hook, was supposed to run, but stayed home, said all the runners from the group are safe.

Photo Credit: AP

Explosion “Nerve Wracking” for Local Running Shop


Some employees from Fleet Feet in West Hartford were in Boston today for the Boston Marathon, as were some of the stores customers, so news of the explosions hit home.

Chaz Koch, of Fleet Feet, said they first received word from a staff member positioned just a few feet from the finish line.

“I actually got goose bumps, to be honest with you. Kind of nerve wracking, cause you don't know what to think,” Koch said.

He immediately started to make calls.

“It happened kind of quickly all at once. By the time I texted one person to make sure they're OK, I got a phone call and three other texts that -- they're OK,” he said.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Newtown Runners on Marathon Tragedy: "No More Heartache"


The tragedy at the Boston Marathon shook America to its core, but the heartache was particularly profound for residents of Newtown, Conn., who flocked to the race to honor the victims of last year's shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The Newtown Strong Fund dedicated each mile of the 26.2-mile race to one of the 26 victims of the shooting, which included 20 first-graders and six educators gunned down at the school.

Runners held a 26-second moment of silence at the beginning of the race, and a special marker bearing the city seal of Newtown was placed at the 26-mile mark. The marker was surrounded by 26 stars.

The half-dozen members of the Newtown Strong Team who ran the race all finished the marathon before the blast, and the group said on its Facebook page that everyone was OK.  

Lisa Abrams, whose husband, Thomas, ran with the group, told the Connecticut Post her husband sent her a text about the explosion. 

"Newtown cannot handle any more of this," Lisa Abrams said. "We don't need any more stress, no more heartache.''

Before the race, Newtown Strong Fund spokeswoman Laura Nowacki, whose daughter survived the shooting, spoke about how crucial it would be to reach that last, symbolic mile marker. 

"We're going to sprint like we ran that day to get to our children," Nowacki said, "and we're going to fly like those little kids flew to get out of that horror and to get to the firehouse, and we're just going to let it all out and run for the freedom and that full on love of life that those kids had."



Photo Credit: AP

SWAT Teams Respond to Mass General


More than two dozen officers, bomb-sniffing dogs and SWAT team members responded to Mass General Hospital to investigate a suspicious package in the Parkman Street garage, but the scene is now clear.

No further information is available.

Doctor at Marathon Finish Line: "It Was Like War"


For 28 years, Dr. Howard Palamarchuk has taken his Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine students to the Boston Marathon.

"This is a field trip for them, kind of a graduation trip to come up and take care of the runners," the Philadelphia professor said just a few hours after the deadly explosions.

"Usually, we take care of problems — ankle problems, blister control. That's about as bad as it ever gets."

Until today.

"And suddenly, there were just two — one large explosion followed by another. You could feel the concussion of it. And then it smelled like gunpowder. Then, all of the sudden, the medical tent suddenly became a mass casualty tent."

Palamarchuk and his students were set up inside a medical tent just half a block past the finish line, which was the site of the first explosion and a little more than a block away from the second explosion. Nobody was expecting what came through that tent.

"There were horrendous injuries. I've never seen anything like it in my life. I mean, it was like war."

Palamarchuk said they were fortunate that a lot of wheelchairs and other medical equipment was already in place. That helped everyone work faster and they were dealing with life-threatening injuries.

"It was just obscene, I mean to do this to families. It was just a day of celebration for families. So seeing kids injured, seeing children peppered with shrapnel, and adults, and grandmothers. I don't know much about ordinance, but this was meant to kill and maim, absolutely."

Although no one expected to go from blister patrol to triage, Dr. Palamarchuk said he was proud of his students.

"Everyone treated. It's just quick, grab whatever you can. They reacted quickly and took the lead of the medical doctors. It was a good effort. I was proud of them."

When the injured had been moved out to local hospitals, the team had time to do a head count. "And we accounted for everyone. Then I got my students home, I wanted them to get home."

The students drove back tonight.

"It's just surreal," Palamarchuk said from his hotel room in Copley Place, 30 floors above it all, where he could look down and see "just a huge crime scene. They're down there, I guess, just sweeping every inch of this course."

On Tuesday, he'll take the train home to Bensalem, Pa. tomorrow, anxious to hug his wife and children.

"Who ever dreamed it would end this way? We've seen Nor'easters and the hottest days you could expect, but never, never would dream of this."

Photo Credit: Boston Globe via Getty Images

Sports World Reacts to Boston Marathon Explosions


As stadiums and arenas everywhere beef up security in the wake of the attack, athletes near and far voiced their support for victims of the Boston Marathon explosions.

After Bombings, Web Turns to Mr. Rogers


After a pair of explosions rocked the Boston Marathon, killing three and injuring more than 150, millions took to social media to look for loved ones, let friends and family know they were OK, and to express sympathies for victims.

On Facebook, two disparate voices carried the day: the beloved children's TV host Mr. Rogers, who died in 2003, and comedian Patton Oswalt.

A black-and-white photo of a smiling Mr. Rogers made the rounds, with the caption, "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"

Oswalt, a man best known for a wit that can be as merciless as it is acerbic, offered a reminder of the prevalence of good, one that took Rogers' point a step further:

You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out… This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness. 

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus... This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago. 

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

In addition to sharing these messages, many on Facebook changed their cover photo to a picture of the Boston skyline, and still others switched out their profile photo for the iconic "B" logo of the Boston Red Sox, or some other similar show of support.

Close to 50,000 Facebook users have joined a "virtual run" event that asks people to "run (or walk) any distance, anywhere and at anytime" to show solidarity in the running community.

NBC correspondent Ann Curry launched a new hashtag #26Acts2, which is an update to #26Acts - a Twitter call to arms for random acts of kindness in the wake of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

A piece by Bruce Schneier of The Atlantic in which he implored readers to "Refuse to be terrorized," bore a headline that included the phrase "Keep Calm Carry On." Originally part of a 1939 propaganda campaign in England meant to boost morale, the phrase has of late developed something of a kitsch cool about it, but yesterday and today it was repeated with sincerity time and again on Twitter.

In the moments after the explosions, the Twitterverse was quickly flooded with the hashtag #prayforboston and some variation on the message, "You go to a movie, You get shot, You go to school, You get shot, You go to a marathon, You get bombed."

The terror in Boston also brought out attention-seeking charlatans. Twitter has already suspended a fake account, @_BostonMarathon, which claimed it would donate $1 to victims for each retweet.

But Google offered a stark counterpoint to fake Twitter accounts by establishing a "Person Finder" for the Boston Marathon, a site where people can look for or post information about loved ones. As of Tuesday morning, it was tracking more than 5,200 records.

Fire Escape Leading to Safety Was Stuck


John Chandler, a sports anchor for NBC Connecticut, was on the fourth floor of an office building on Boylston Street in Boston, looking out a window near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, when the explosions happened. What he witnessed around him was chaos. 

Amid the applause, there was an explosion and smoke.

At first, he thought it might be a generator explosion, or other electronic malfunction, Chandler said, and told everyone to get down and back.

Then the second explosion happened and they learned they had to get out of the building.

“We couldn’t go out the front and it was chaos on the streets,” said Chandler, who was with family, including his infant son, and friends. 

“We had to go down the fire escape in the back. Halfway down the final two stories, the escape wouldn’t drop. It was broken, so we jumped from one escape and climbed over to the next one,” he said.

Down below, people were trying to pull that escape down to help.

Chandler knew family and friends were safe, but was concerned about what was going on around him as people cried and emergency responders rushed to help the injured.

“These are my neighbors here, these are my streets, and you just don’t want to see anything bad happen to your town,” Chandler said, adding that he does not know how you get over this and that we should always remember. 

Threat to New Haven Green Was a Hoax: Cops


At 8:34 p.m. on Monday, New Haven police received a call from the New York Police Department’s Public Safety Answering Center, which has received a call threatening a bombing on the New Haven Green, and it turned out to be a hoax, according to police.

The call had been placed from the psychiatric ward of New York’s Belleview Hospital, according to police.

New Haven police responded, conducted a check and found nothing out of the ordinary.
The report was hoax, police said, and detectives were informed.

Police are asking people to remain observant and call police at 203-946-6316 if you see something suspicious.

Gov. Malloy Orders Flags to Half-Staff In Honor of Boston Victims


Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, after a proclamation from President Barack Obama, has ordered U.S. and Connecticut flags to fly at half-staff in honor of the victims of yesterday’s bombing at the Boston Marathon.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Massachusetts during this difficult time,” Malloy said in a statement. “Connecticut is ready to lend whatever assistance is needed in the wake of this tragedy. Our emergency responders and law enforcement have offered support and resources to Massachusetts, and we will continue to stand by our neighbor throughout their recovery efforts.”

Flags will remain at half-staff until sunset on Saturday, April 20.

“I know I speak for everyone in Connecticut in saying that the victims and their families are in our hearts and thoughts today as they deal with the horrible aftermath of this senseless attack on an event whose beauty and rich tradition draws people from all over the world,” said Lieutenant Governor Nancy Wyman.  “This was an assault on innocent people and an assault on our values and we must respond with solidarity for all of those affected.”

Photo Credit: Boston Globe via Getty Images

State Police Arrest Suspect in Mansfield Sexual Assault


State police have arrested a 21-year-old New London man accused of sexually assaulting a woman while she was walking on Eagle Court in Mansfield last night.

A man called 911 around 11:45 p.m. on Monday to report that a female was outside of his residence, suffering from severe multiple injuries, police said.

EMS treated the woman at the scene. Then an ambulance brought her to Windham Hospital and a helicopter transported her to Hartford Hospital, where she is in stable condition, police said.

Police said the attacker was reported to have fled from the scene on a bicycle.

State police broadcast a description to area police departments and Coventry police on patrol saw a man riding a bicycle on Rt. 275, stopped him and detained him for State Police investigators, police said.

Investigators determined that Miguel Troche-Cabrera was a suspect in this case. State troopers took him into custody and he was formally charged and held on a $200,000 cash bond. 

Miguel Troche-Cabrera was charged with first-degree sexual assault, first-degree strangulation, first-degree assault, first-degree unlawful restraint, first-degree reckless endangerment, second-degree breach of peace and sixth-degree larceny.

State Police Investigate Durham Bank Robbery


State police are investigating a burglary just before 9:30 a.m. at the TD Bank, 331 Main St in Durham.

Troopers from Troop F and the Durham resident trooper responded and witnesses said a stocky man in his mid-50's, wearing a tan baseball hat and tan gloves, sunglasses, blue jeans and sneakers, robbed the back. His face was covered with a dark fleece zip-up jacket.

The man approached the teller, displayed a black handgun, and demanded cash, according to state police. 

The robber then ran off with an undisclosed amount of cash. 

No one was injured.

Anyone who saw anything in the area of the bank just before 9:27 a.m. or immediately after is asked to call state police Troop F at 860-399-2100. All calls will be kept confidential.


Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live