Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Tx. Police Shoot, Kill Robber


Police shot and killed a suspected armed robber as he left an Irving cash advance store with a hostage Friday afternoon, authorities said.

Police said they were called to the Cash Store on Esters Boulevard and State Highway 183 at about 1:15 p.m.

When officers arrived, they said a man exited the store with a female employee he was holding hostage.

Two officers opened fire on the man, killing him. The woman was not injured, police said.

"We obviously couldn't permit the suspect to leave with her. Her life was in grave danger. In fact she expressed that toward us, that she felt her life was in danger," said Officer James McLellan, with the Irving Police Department. "She was grateful we were able to intervene. So that's a good ending as far as that goes. There's no harm to her. Our officers did actually an excellent job in preventing any more loss of life."

Christopher Daniels was a customer in the store with his wife at the time of the alleged robbery.

"I did hear him very clearly say, 'Do you think I'm playing?' You know, 'Make another move and I'll kill her,' and things like that," Daniels said.

Daniels said he thought police did what they had to do.

"Exactly what they needed to do. As far as I'm concerned, they saved all of our lives," he said.

Yousef Hajj owns Comfy Furniture near the cash advance business and recorded video of the officers fatally shooting the suspected robber.

"I just immediately pulled out my phone. I started videotaping. All I see is a man, he's holding a lady hostage, he's pulling her out, he's bringing her outside," Hajj said. "There was two cops over here. They're telling him, you know, 'Please drop down the gun. Put it down. Leave her alone. Don't do nothing stupid,' pretty much."

Hajj said the man appeared to be dangerous, and the woman was scared for her life.

"She was pretty terrified. I mean, she was looking death in the face. The man looked over to his left, and the next thing, he was down. He got shot right there and then," Hajj said. "It was so quick. Things happened so fast. This whole place was stormed with police."

Further details have not yet been released and the investigation into the incident is ongoing.

NBC 5's Scott Gordon contributed to this report.

Editor's note: Initial reports from the Irving Fire Department indicated there were two people involved in the robbery, including an accomplice outside. Police now say there was only one person involved in the incident.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Ski Sundown Report for Weekend


Have you ever wanted to race down the slopes like a pro? Well at Ski Sundown you can! So today we’re going to take a peek at their Nastar program and how you can join in on the fun.

“Nastar is just such a great program because you can be four years old you can be ninety years old” says Kurt Johnson, Race Director at Ski Sundown “And it’s set up so everybody can try racing”

All you have to do is register online at nastar.com where you’ll receive a registration number that you can use at any Nastar course in the country! But there’s only one course where you can race for free…

“Here at Ski Sundown we offer free Nastar and of 115 resorts that participate we’re the only one in the country that does that” explains Nastar Coordinator Monti Montana.

And you don’t have to be an experienced skier or snowboarder to hit the course.

“All you have to be able to do is turn. Turn and stop.” Says Montana. “Its basically for the public, it’s a very easy program to get into and um it’s just awesome”

In addition to improving your skills whether you’re a skier or snowboarder, Nastar racing also allows for a little friendly competition…

“We’ve had so much success with young families and once you get in a race course you kind of race again yourself that’s what makes it a beautiful thing and we get four year olds racing against their fathers and their mothers and they just have a blast” says Johnson.

Nastar course hours are on Sundays from 2:30-5:30pm, and on Thursdays from 6:30-9:30pm. And if you’re heading out on the slopes this weekend, conditions look perfect in southern New England with sun and clouds on Saturday with temperatures in the 30’s near 40’s, and the sunshine sticks around Sunday as temperatures climb near 50 degrees! Northern New England looks fantastic as well with temperatures in the 30’s on Saturday and 40’s on Sunday. A mix of sun and clouds expected both days.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Sanders Increases Jabs on Clinton in Iowa


Democratic candidate and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is setting his sights on Hillary Clinton before the Iowa caucuses, NBC News reported.

Sanders, who was in Iowa Friday, went after Clinton on her opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership and her initial support for the Defense of Marriage Act

His attacks come a few days before the Iowa caucuses, where polls show a tight race between the two candidates.

Sanders, who claims to have never run a negative campaign ad in his life, is now being accused of turning negative by the Clinton campaign.

"Does it mention Hillary Clinton? Does it have any image of Hillary Clinton?" Sanders said when asked about the criticism. 

Photo Credit: Noticiero Telemundo

Attorney Caught With Inmate Banned


An attorney accused of having sex with an inmate in an interview room at the Main Jail in South Florida has been barred from entering any Broward Sheriff's Office property until further notice.

According to BSO, an officer was making rounds at the jail on Wednesday afternoon when they spotted 35-year-old attorney Jessica Mishali David engaged in what appeared to be sexual intercourse with an inmate, 26-year-old Ysreal Granda.

Broward Criminal Court records list David as Granda's lead attorney in a pending attempted murder case.

David's attorney, Tarlika Navarro with the firm of Haddad & Navarro, denied the allegations in a phone interview with NBC 6 Friday.

"We are denying these false accusations and we will continue to fight for our client," Navarro said. "Her clients are being denied their 6th Amendment rights to counsel."

David won't be making any comments to the media, Navarro added.

Navarro also said she believes there are ulterior motives by the BSO but wouldn't explain what those motives may be.

According to the incident report, the officer opened the door to the interview room which prompted Granda to quickly sit in a chair while David immediately stood and adjusted her skirt.

The officer ordered her to leave the room and proceed to the waiting area, while Granda was secured in the interview area.

Detectives with the Sex Crimes and Special Victims units arrived and interviewed both David and Granda, after which David was released and Granda remained in custody.

David wasn't arrested but officials said the misconduct will be reported to the Bar Association.

Navarro said she is also looking into the matter.

"No crime has been charged, there's no evidence of anything," Navarro said.

BSO has since prohibited David from entering any BSO properties for either personal or professional reasons until further notice.

Granda remains in jail awaiting trial for the unrelated attempted murder charges.

Photo Credit: Broward Sheriff's Office

Clinton Says She 'Can Actually Produce Results'


Hillary Clinton said she’s welcoming the rivalry that’s developed with her closest Democratic opponent, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, NBC News reported.

In an interview with NBC News, Clinton accused Sanders of “trying to go negative” with ads accusing Wall Street of trying to buy off politicians. She suggested Sanders’ platform is based on unrealistic goals and said she offered a “more clear agenda that can actually produce results.”

The latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist Poll of likely Democratic primary voters shows Clinton leading Sanders 48 percent to 45 percent, a statistical dead heat.

Clinton said she wasn’t concerned about losing Iowa and New Hampshire, saying she was “in it for the long haul.” 

Photo Credit: AP

UConn's Warde Manuel Named New AD at Michigan


UConn athletic director Warde Manuel is leaving UConn to take the athletic director job at the University of Michigan.

He will begin on March 13, University of Michigan announced this morning.

Rachel Rubin, who began her career at UConn as an associate athletic director and serves as chief of staff to the president, will serve as interim athletic director and UConn will conduct a national search for a replacement for Manuel.

Earlier this week, sources told NBC Connecticut sports director Kevin Nathan that Manuel is taking the Michigan job.

Manuel, who has been the athletic director at UConn since 2012, was a high school All-American football player and played for the University of Michigan. In 1998, he was named an assistant athletic director at Michigan.

Michigan athletic director Jim Hackett said in a text message Wednesday morning: "Search is confidential until announcement."

Hackett has served as AD since Oct. 31, 2014, when he came out of retirement to replace Dave Brandon after he resigned.

Hackett is on the school's advisory committee for its AD search, but pulled his own name out of the running.

Connecticut State Officials Prepare for Zika Cases


The state's Public Health Commissioner said Friday that the state will be ready to test and diagnose cases of Zika in about ten days.

Zika is the virus that has struck mainly South and Central American communities. It leads to severe birth defects in newborns. According to doctors, expectant mothers and their unborn are at the greatest risk.

US Sen. Richard Blumenthall, along with health professionals warned this week that those specific individuals are the ones the most at risk.

Blumenthal also urged the president in a letter today to devote more resources in order to speed up the development and production for a Zika vaccine.

“Our nation is at risk if people travel to those countries and so the investment that we have to make in research pays off not only for us but also for other countries" he said.

Doctors from Hartford Healthcare also laid out who is at the highest risk for exposure to Zika.

“It’s not blood-borne" said Dr. Andrew Borgida, the Chief of Obstentrics and Gynecology at Hartford Hospital. "It’s not transmittable person to person so pregnant women shouldn’t be concerned about any other contacts and pregnant women in Connecticut, if they haven’t traveled, are at really no risk."

If contracted by anyone who isn't pregnant, a rash or infection may occur, but in most individuals, they may not exhibit any symptoms.

Brazil has seen the most cases due in part to the fact there are several cities with garbage in the streets and there are areas with standing water, fruitful breeding ground for mosquitoes carrying Zika.

Later this year, approximately 200,000 Americans are expected to travel to Rio for the Summer Olympics.

Dr. Jack Ross, Chief of Infectious Disease for all of Hartford Healthcare, said if you're pregnant you shouldn't travel to Brazil, but everyone else should be in the clear.

“I think for the average person that will travel there, we will have a flu-like illness. We will be uncomfortable and I would not change my travel plans for the Brazil Olympics unless I were pregnant.”

Pedestrian Struck by Car in Hartford


One person is recovering after being struck by a car in Hartford on Friday night.

And neighbors said they’re concerned especially with more traffic expected nearby.

“It can be kind of scary. Actually, it really can,” said Ursula Coelho.

Coelho said she knows the dangers of walking near downtown Hartford north of I-84.

That’s why she and others were saddened, though not surprised, a person was hit while crossing the I-84 West on ramp from High Street.

The car stopped and police said the victim was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Just about a block away police said back in early December there was another car versus pedestrian.
Unfortunately in that case on North Chapel Street, the man later died.

Now neighbors are nervously watching new development, including construction of Dunkin’ Donuts Park for the Hartford Yard Goats.

Coelho said she’s already concerned about walking her grandchilren downtown.

She worries more events in the area will mean more traffic and more people crossing streets.

“I’m sure everything is going to be alright, you know, however everybody works it out. But if we’re going to walk we need to be safe,” said Coelho.

Police have yet to said what led to Friday’s crash or an update on the person's condition.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

West Haven VA To End Shuttle Service at Train Station


Starting Monday, the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in West Haven will stop running a free shuttle to and from the West Haven train station.

The VA Office of General Counsel determined federal money cannot be spent on helping employees commute to work, VA Connecticut Healthcare System spokesperson Pamela Redmond said in an email to NBC Connecticut.

Some local lawmakers are raising concerns about what this means for veterans taking the train to their medical appointments.

“I am aghast and appalled that the VA has stopped this shuttle service because parking at the West Haven facility is so difficult,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Connecticut) said.

Navy veteran Wayne Morgan does not rely on this shuttle because he says he parks in the VA parking lots.

“That’s a terrible decision,” Morgan said. “If you have veterans coming in on the train and they’re disabled, how are they supposed to be able to get over to the VA hospital?”

No veteran should be stranded at the station because of the service change, Redmond said in her email. Veterans can still make arrangements in advance of their appointments to be picked up for rides.

At an event announcing the funding approval for an elevator at the American Legion Post 71 in West Haven, Sen. Gayle Slossberg (D-Milford/West Haven) said she’s already drafted a letter asking the VA to reconsider its decision.

“With all of the focus on our VA, our federal health care system, all of the challenges that have existed across our country,” Slossberg said, “that they would turn around now and be what my grandmother would say, ‘penny wise and pound foolish’ and cut off access for our veterans to the very health care that we are trying to get for them.”

Slossberg said the train station was built close to the VA hospital to help veterans on the shoreline have access to health care.

As for employees who ride the train to work, Redmond said in her email that they are eligible for a monthly public transit fare benefit of $130.

Shuttle service will continue at two off-site parking lots at the Polish American Club (194 W. Spring St.) and Mantilla Parking Lot (325 Campbell Ave.).

2-Year-Old Was Alone in Deplorable Conditions: Police


A 2-year-old girl was found alone in an apartment on Ashford Street in Hartford, Connecticut, covered in feces, according to police, and they are investigating.

The child was in deplorable conditions, police said, and one neighbor described the apartment as like a "hoarder house." 

The neighbors realized that the little girl was alone when they noticed water leaking in from the apartment above and went to tell the residents. 

Tyrine Wilkins said she told her daughter to go upstairs and see what was going on. When she came back, she said a little girl told her no one was home. 

"I have an anxiety attack immediately," Wilkins said. "I say, 'What do you mean no one's home'?"

When police arrived to the home they found feces and urine throughout the home and two small dogs. Extension cords could be seen across the floors and the sink was piled with dirty dishes, police said. 

Police said the child was not injured, but has been taken to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, which police said is standard protocol.

The state Department of Children and Families has been notified.

Police said the child’s mother was at work and was returning home. She and the child's stepfather are cooperating with police, police said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Student Charged in Theft of Bar’s 7-Foot Statue of Liberty


Middletown police have charged a Wesleyan University student in connection with the bizarre theft of a 7-foot tall Statue of Liberty replica from a local bar.

A police officer noticed Orrin Frazier, 20, of Montauk, New York, hunched over a large object in front of 119 Washington Street in Middletown just after 1:15 a.m. on Friday and thought there was some property damage, so he went to investigate.

The item turned out to be the 7-foot-tall Statue of Liberty replica, worth $2,000, that had been taken from the Corner Pocket bar, on Ferry Street in Middletown, at some point during the night, according to police.

As the officer was approaching Frazier as he was hunched over, he ran and the officer apprehended him behind 395 Main Street and identified him through his Wesleyan identification, police said.

In Frazier’s pocket was a broken piece of the statue, according to police, and he said he’d been drinking whiskey at a bar on Ferry Street, but denied taking the statue and didn’t know how a piece of it wound up in his pocket, police said.

Police noted that Frazier smelled of alcohol and was unsteady on his feet and they charged him with second-degree criminal mischief and third-degree larceny. He was held at police headquarters and was scheduled to be arraigned on Friday.

It’s not clear if he has an attorney.

Photo Credit: AP

Parents Didn't Think Kids' Punishment was Unacceptable: Docs


A Watertown, Connecticut, volunteer firefighter and his wife accused of punishing their five children by making them stand in the bathroom said the Department of Children and Families knew about the treatment, court documents said.

George Barnes, 45, and Nancie Barnes, 47, are facing charges including cruelty to persons, unlawful restraint, and risk of injury to a minor. The couple adopted four of the children and are guardians of a fifth child. 

Nancie told police she does not think she has done anything "not acceptable," the court documents read. 

A 15-year-old girl was locked in the bathroom from September to mid-December, both George and Nancie told police, according to the court documents.

On Dec. 21, police and the DCF interviewed the 15-year-old victim and her 9-year-old brother about alleged abuse in the house. The 15-year-old victim said she stays in the bathroom when she returns from school and all day on weekends, the court documents said. She told Watertown police she got in "trouble" for reaching out to her biological mom. The victim also told police she was not allowed to sleep with a pillow or talk to the school psychologist, the court documents said. 

She told police she was able to leave the house to get a Christmas tree with the family but had to stay in the car. When the girl was allowed to eat with the family, she was not allowed to speak with her siblings because she was a "bad influence," according to court documents.

The 9-year-old victim told police that when the children were in trouble, including his 15-year-old sister, they had to read while standing for 20 minute intervals before they either "earned" a chore or had to do homework, court documents said.

The DCF temporarily removed the children from the house for 96 hours in December. 

Both George and Nancie said their therapist and the DCF knew about the displinary action, which they said was necessary to curb the children's attitude and tantrums, according to the court documents.

Baby monitors were used to see if the child was standing when he or she was "supposed to be," police said. Meals were brought to the child during the three months. 

All five children, ranging in age from 9 to 18, told police they had been punished various times and would need to stand in the bathroom and read for extended periods of time, Watertown police said. 

NBC Connecticut reached out to DCF and the agency released the following statement:

"The parents who were arrested today were licensed by the Department and accordingly received criminal and child welfare background checks prior to obtaining their license and caring for the children.  We have high expectations for the families who foster and adopt children from state care, and those expectations are met in in all but the rarest of instances. If the allegations are true, the treatment of the children is completely unacceptable and a violation of the trust we place in foster and adoptive families."

The Barneses appeared in court on Jan. 29, where protective orders were issued. Each was released on a $35,000 bond and they are due back in court on Feb. 24.

The couple or the public defender representing them had no comment on Friday afternoon.

Photo Credit: Watertown Police Department

Could We Have a Zika Vaccine Soon?


Two potential methods for a vaccine against the Zika virus could be ready for clinical trials in people by the end of the year, but there will not be a widely available vaccine for several years, experts said this week, NBC News reported.

"It is to our advantage we already have existing vaccine platforms to use as a sort of jumping off point," said Dr. Tony Fauci, head of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). 

The NIAID is currently pursuing at least two approaches to a Zika vaccine. The first being a DNA-based vaccine using a strategy similar to what was employed for the West Nile virus, Fauci told reporters. The second is a live vaccine, "building on similar and highly immunogenic approaches used for the closely related dengue virus."

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Power Restored to Traffic Lights in Willimantic


A power outage caused traffic lights on Main Street and the iconic frog bridge in Willimantic to go out Saturday morning, but the power has since been restored, police said. 

Eversource repaired the problem and the traffic lights are working again. 

The outage was at a "very congested intersection," so police responded to direct traffic until the issue was fixed. 

The cause of the power outage is unknown. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

OC Prison Escapees Captured


The two remaining inmates who escaped from an Orange County jail last week were taken into custody in San Francisco Saturday morning, officials said.

Jonathan Tieu, 20, of Fountain Valley, and Hossein Nayeri, 37, of Newport Beach were taken into custody by the San Francisco Police Department around 8:50 a.m. after a receiving a tip from an observant witness, Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said at a news conference Saturday.

"The entire state can breathe a sigh of relief because we have the other two dangerous individuals back in custody," Hutchens said.

Nayeri and Tieu were expected to be transported back to Orange County Saturday night or early Sunday morning

Hutchens initially said a woman alerted police after seeing a white GMC van next to a Whole Foods parking lot near Golden Gate Park that looked similar to the one authorities reported the fugitives had stolen. A San Francisco police officer later said it was a man who alerted police of a suspicious person and vehicle.

According to Hutchens, as officers approached the van, Nayeri started to run. He was caught after a short chase at Waller and Stanyan streets. Tieu was found hiding in the van parked at Haight and Stanyan streets. Several rounds of ammunition were also found in the van, however no weapons were recovered, Hutchens said.

"This is an excellent example of how citizens can help the San Francisco Police Department keep the city safe," said SFPD Officer Grace Gatpandan.

Tieu and Nayeri remained at a San Francisco police station and were expected to be moved to the San Francisco County Jail, Hutchens said. Sheriff's said they were coordinating with San Francisco authorities to transfer the inmates back into Orange County custody.

Authorities were still investigating how the inmates obtained their escape tools and said no disciplinary action had been taken in the wake of the escape.

"If anybody else aided and abetted (the inmates), they're going to be prosecuted," Hutchens said. "We do not want another escape from an Orange County jail."

Officials said Friday, they were concentrating their efforts in the San Jose area Saturday where it was believed the inmates were hiding and were possibly en route to Fresno.

A major break in the weeklong manhunt came Friday, when Bac Duong, 43, who escaped from the Central Men's Jail early Jan. 22 along with Tieu and Nayeri, surrendered to authorities. According to Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens, Duong walked up to a civilian in Santa Ana and said he wanted to turn himself in around 11:30 a.m.

Sheriff's officials said all three escapees were spotted Thursday in San Jose, but Duong somehow made his way back to Santa Ana to surrender.

A manager at the Alameda Motel in San Jose on Friday said he believed all three inmates stayed at his motel on Tuesday and Wednesday, before leaving Thursday morning.

Investigators said they believed the three escapees were living out of the van, which has paper license plates from Felix Chevrolet, with plate number 8U66466, although the plates may have been replaced and the windows were likely tinted. The van was listed for sale on Craiglist and Duong stole it when he took the vehicle for a test drive in South Los Angeles.

It's not clear how Duong got back to Southern California from San Jose, but early Friday Duong contacted a woman he knew at the auto electric repair shop just a few miles away from the jail, authorities and witnesses said.

Le Tran told NBC4 News that he saw Duong smoking a cigarette as he waited for authorities to arrest him at the Tran family's Auto Electric Rebuilders shop located at 1421 N. Harbor Boulevard. He said he does not know how Duong got to the shop, but that his sister knew Duong and might have visited him while he was in jail.

Shortly after the late-morning arrest, a team of well-armed officers in protective vests swarmed the business.

Meanwhile, more than 10 people have been arrested since the escape. Among them is a teacher who had a "significant role" in the planning of the jailbreak. The 44-year-old Lake Forest woman was arrested Thursday on suspicion of accessory to a felony in helping the inmates escape from lockup in downtown Santa Ana.

She allegedly provided the men with Google Earth maps of the jail complex, according to investigators. One of the escaped inmates, Nayeri, took her class at the Central Men's Jail and developed a relationship with her, said Orange County Sheriff's Lt. Jeff Hallock.

Nayeri had been in custody since September 2014, Tieu since October 2013 and Duong since December.

Duong allegedly shot a man Nov. 18, 2015 after an argument on the patio of a Santa Ana home. He was charged with one felony count of attempted murder, one felony count of assault with a firearm, one felony count of first-degree residential burglary, one felony count of shooting at an inhabited dwelling or house, one felony count of assault with a firearm with sentencing enhancements for the personal use of a firearm, personal discharge of a firearm and great bodily injury.

He was being held without bail on an immigration hold pending a possible federal deportation hearing. Duong also faces sentencing enhancements for a prior strike conviction for first-degree burglary in 1995 in San Diego County, prior prison convictions for second-degree burglary in 2007, reckless evading of a peace officer in 2008 and possession for sale of a controlled substance in 2011.

Nayeri is accused of participating in an attack, including torture, against a Newport Beach resident who ran a licensed marijuana dispensary in Santa Ana. Tieu faces murder and attempted murder charges in connection with a gang hit. Duong faces an attempted murder charge and was being held without bail on an immigration hold pending a possible federal deportation hearing.

Photo Credit: Orange County Sheriff's Department

250 Boats Docked at Convention Center for Hartford Boat Show


From paddle boats to pontoons, the Hartford Boat Show gives guests the chance to compare the newest inventory side-by-side and the organizers say there is something for every one.

This year, there are 30 new exhibitors and 250 boats docked at the Convention Center. Many exhibitors return year after year.

“Introducing ourselves to a large group of people where at our showroom we don’t get the opportunity to see as big of an audience at one time,” Chris Perry, of Candlewood East Marina in Brookfield, said.

Whether you want to sail the shoreline or drop a line in a lake, boats big and small fill two levels of the convention center this year.

“It’s fun. You get to see all the boats that come out, check ‘em out,” said Carol Hall, who visited from Vernon.

Lori Schwager, of Manchester, said the boat show is an annual tradition for her and her friends.

“We always come with friends. We’re all boaters. We all have boats. We just come to see what’s new and exciting,” Schwager said.

Boating is big business in the state.

“It’s a $1.3 billion industry here in Connecticut,” Hartford Boat Show Executive Director Kathleen Burns said.

When the economy took a dive, so did recreational sports, like boating. However, Burns said it’s growing again.

“The economy’s improving, there’s a little more optimism, fuel prices are lower, and so I think people are more comfortable now returning to a recreation they love,” said Burns.

This year’s boat show is the biggest in a decade. Visitors now navigate two floors of boats, parts, seminars and exhibits.

One of the new interactive exhibits at the Hartford Boat Show is a virtual fishing tournament. Guests actually compete with each other. The top prize is a fishing trip.

Then there’s the famous fish fighting chair, which has been entertaining pint-sized anglers at the boat show for decades. You can find it under the large shark that hangs from the ceiling upstairs. The “bait” is tied to the end of a fishing pole and tries to run to away before the adult on the other end of the pole reels them in.

“I just fought like a fish all the way to the sticker to Blackhawks and I got a free fishing trip,” Nicco Frogameni, of Niantic, said. “I thought I was never gonna make it.”

Kyleigh Lapsis, of Mansfield, said "it was hard."

Organizers know not everyone will walk out of the Convention Center with a boat. The show also gives visitors the chance to step aboard a boat they may only dream of owning, or start a new sport like kayak or paddle boarding.

The show runs through Sunday in downtown Hartford. Tickets are $12. You can get $2 off when you show you have the NBC Connecticut app at the door.

The boat show is open until 9 p.m. on Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. More information is available at hartfordboatshow.com.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Family Displaced After Berlin Fire


A family is displaced and a firefighter was injured after a late-night basement fire in Berlin. 

Four fire companies responded to 80 Wildem Road at 11:08 p.m. on Friday after callers reported a fire that started in the basement. 

Crews arrived to find the two-and-a-half-story wood frame structure showing a large volume of smoke out of the "'C' Charlie" side of the building. There was a large blaze in the basement and on the first floor. 

Firefighters have since knocked down the fire. 

The family made it out of the building safely, but a firefighter sustained minor injuries. 

Berlin fire officials said the "family won't be living there for awhile."

The cause of the fire is unknown. 

Driver Dies After Crashing Into Water Pump House


A driver died after colliding with the Manchester Water Department's pump house building in a Friday night rollover crash. 

Police responded to the area of 550 Lydall Street at about 8:58 p.m. on Friday to investigate a one-car accident. 

Driver John McHugh, 48, of Manchester was headed west on the road in a 2003 GMC Sierra when he veered into a tree stump, flipped over multiple times in the vehicle and ultimately crashed into the town of Manchester's water department pump house, police said. 

McHugh died on scene. 

No one else was in the car with him. The car and pump house were significantly damaged. 

Manchester police in the department's traffic unit and the Metro Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team are investigating the accident. 

Police ask any witnesses or anyone who stopped to help to contact Manchester Police Officer Guadino at 860-645-5560. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

1 Killed in Shootings, Stabbings at Denver Arena


One person was killed and multiple others were injured during a shooting and stabbing incident Saturday afternoon at the Denver Coliseum, according to the Denver Police Department.

A fight broke out between two rival gangs, police told NBC News. The incident took place just before 1 p.m. local time (3 p.m. ET). 

Police would not confirm how many people were injured or the extent of their injuries. No one is in custody yet, a Denver police spokesperson said. 

The Colorado Motorcycle Expo is taking place this weekend at the Denver Coliseum, an entertainment venue on the National Western Stockshow complex.

Photo Credit: Denver Police Dept.

Cat Sunshine, Named After 'The Voice' Rescuer, Up for Adoption


Braiden Sunshine made it to the Top 10 on NBC's "The Voice," sharing his voice and evolving hair styles with the country, and now the cool cat's spreading more "Sunshine" back in Connecticut in a way that's just the cat's meow. 

The Lyme 15-year-old found a sickly, stray cat he's calling "Sunshine" near his home and brought her to the Connecticut Humane Society in Newington. 

The humane society's medical team fixed her up and now "Sunshine" is available for adoption, "the cat - not the artist," the organization posted on its Facebook page. 

You can find more information on the adoption process at www.cthumane.org.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Humane Society
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live