NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Limited Train Service Between New York, New Haven


Train service from New York to New Haven will be limited for days as officials investigate Friday's rush hour train crash in Connecticut which sent 72 people to the hospital.

Metro-North train service between South Norwalk and New Haven remains suspended until further notice, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Saturday service between the South Norwalk Station and Grand Central will be reduced, departing seven minutes after each hour.

Regular service will operate between Stamford and Grand Central and between New Canaan and Danbury Branches. Bus service will be available between Waterbury and Bridgeport with no train connection.

Trains remains in effect between Stamford and Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station for Yankee game day service. Commuters are advised to use the Harlem Line as trains will be crowded due to reduced service.

Officials said two of the four tracks in the area were out of service to have overhead wires replaced and the remaining two tracks were damaged by the collision.

There will be no Amtrak service between New York and New Haven through Sunday and officials say there is no estimate on when service will be restored, according to a statement from Amtrak.

Limited Northeast Regional service is available between Boston and New Haven.

Service is operating as scheduled between New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C.

Check back on Sunday evening for service updates on Amtrak's website or by calling 800-USA-RAIL.

Photo Credit: AP

Orb Denied: Oxbow Wins Preakness in Upset


History will have to wait at least one more year.

Orb, the Kentucky Derby champion who many hoped would become the first Triple Crown winner in 35 years, finished fourth in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, as 15-1 longshot Oxbow pulled off a surprise wire-to-wire win at Pimlico.

"It's so special," said Oxbow jockey Gary Stevens, who came out of retirement this year at age 50. "We were kind of flying under the radar after the Derby. Didn't get a lot of respect."

Oxbow trainer D. Wayne Lukas seemed to take pleasure from dashing Orb's Triple Crown hopes.

"I get paid to spoil dreams," Lukas said.

Orb's fate may have been sealed days before the race, when he drew the No. 1 post position along the rail -- only two horses have won the Preakness from that position over the last 63 years. Sure enough, Orb got boxed in against the rail by a pack of horses early in the race, and could never find room to break free.

Meanwhile, Oxbow pulled ahead of the pack and never relinquished the lead.

"When I hit the half-mile pole, I just said, 'Are you kidding me, is this happening?'" said Stevens, who worked for NBC as a racing analyst during his seven-year retirement.

Oxbow finished the 1 3/16th-mile race in 1:57.54. Itsmyluckyday finished second, Mylute finished third and Orb, the 3-5 favorite, finished fourth.

But nobody ever gave Oxbow a serious threat.

It's a landmark win for Lukas: Oxbow's Preakness victory marks the trainer's 14th Triple Crown win, the most ever. He's won the Preakness six times, and the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont four times each. He passed James Fitzsimmons, who has won 13 Triple Crown races.

Jockey Gary Stevens has now notched three wins apiece at the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont over his career.

Oxbow's win means the Triple Crown drought continues.

In the lead-up to the Preakness, Orb seemed like a prime candidate to end that drought, and bettors made him a heavy favorite. His breathtaking late push in the Kentucky Derby had people believing: He emerged from the back of the pack down the stretch, blew past a large group of horses and pulled away from the pack for a dominant win. Combined with a pedigree to make race fans drool -- his blood lines includes two Triple Crown winners, Seattle Slew (1977) and Secretariat (1973) -- many thought the three-year-old colt would take a place among the horse-racing elite.

Instead, he'll become another in a long line of almosts and what-ifs. Only 11 horses have won the Triple Crown, and none since Affirmed in 1978.

Orb wasn't the only one trying to make history on Saturday who came up short in Baltimore.

Rosie Napravnik, the jockey riding Mylute, hoped to become the first female jockey to win the race. Instead Mylute finished in third place.

Kevin Krigger, the jockey riding Goldencents, hoped to become the first African-American jockey to win the race since 1898. He too came up short as Goldencents finished in fifth place.


Photo Credit: AP

Man Fatally Shot in Head in NYC's Greenwich Village Investigated as Hate Crime: Police


New York City authorities are investigating the deadly overnight shooting of a 32-year-old man in Greenwich Village as a hate crime after detectives learned the suspect taken into custody at the scene may have made anti-gay remarks to the victim before pulling the trigger, authorities said.

Law enforcement officials say Marc Carson, who lived on West 131st Street, and a friend were near a 99 Cent Pizza shop on Sixth Avenue around midnight when the suspect, who was with two other men, hurled anti-gay slurs at them, Carson's friend told detectives.

Carson made some remarks in response to the suspect's taunts and walked away, law enforcement sources said. 

A short time later, the suspect, who was by himself, confronted Carson and his friend again near a building on West Eighth Street, and words were exchanged for a second time, law enforcement officials said. Then the suspect allegedly pulled out a .38 caliber revolver and shot Carson in the face, killing him.

The suspect ran off and police responding to the shooting put out a description of him. An officer on foot patrol saw a man who fit the description of the suspect near McDougal and West Third Streets and tried to question him, but the suspect fled. The officer chased him down and took him into custody. A silver revolver was found in his possession and charges are pending against him, authorities said.

Detectives are looking to question the two men who were with the suspect during the initial confrontation near the pizza shop, but they do not believe they were with the suspect during the shooting. 

Law enforcement officials say the suspect has refused to identify himself to officers questioning him at the precinct, and he appears to have a fake ID in his possession.

Police are reviewing surveillance video from the area.

Before the shooting, police say the suspect had a separate confrontation with a manager and bouncer at the West Village restaurant Annisa on Barrow Street. Both men told detectives the suspect made anti-gay comments and threatened them. 

State and local officials blasted the slaying Saturday, citing a spike in alleged anti-gay crimes in Manhattan over the last several months.

On May 10, police said a gay couple was attacked on West 32nd Street and beaten so severely that one of the men needed eye surgery. Days earlier, another gay couple was assaulted by a group of men in the same area near Madison Square Garden.


Photo Credit: NBCNewYork

One Dead, 4 Injured After Two-Car Collision


A car crash in Waterbury has left one person dead and four others injured Saturday night, according to police.

The two-car accident happened just before 7 p.m., on Highland Ave.

Four victims were taken to local hospitals. Officials say all are in serious condition.

Police are not releasing the name of the passenger killed in the crash until family notification.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Dognapped Yorkie Found Safe Near Home


A deaf 11-year-old mini Yorkie apparently taken by dognappers demanding $1,000 from his owners was dropped off by someone in a white car near his owner's home on Saturday, the dog's owner told NBC4 News.

Someone speeding by in a white car with tinted windows dropped off the dog named Walter. A woman walking her dog in the neighborhood noticed the Yorkie, checked his dog tag and called the owner, Tricia O’Kelley.

Walter, who weighs about 5 pounds, hadn't been seen since Thursday afternoon in the family’s fenced-in backyard along Los Feliz Boulevard in the Griffith Park area. 

A blocked number called O’Kelley’s cellphone, which is listed on Walter’s tags, about 10:15 p.m. Thursday.

The man on the other end of the line told O’Kelley he wants $1,000 for the dog’s safe return. O’Kelley said she heard another man laughing in the background.

Her husband took over negotiations. The dognapper said he’d call back and hung up.

Within minutes, the blocked number called back and this time, O’Kelley’s husband, Adam Rosenblatt, put the call on speaker so the police on a second phone could hear.

The dognapper laid out his demands.

He wanted the family to create phony fliers offering a $1,000 reward for Walter’s return and listed streets on which he wanted them posted. Then, he would bring one of those posters to a Chevron station on Western and Franklin avenues where he would exchange the dog for the cash.

Police suggested they make the fliers and meet the men at the gas station with a plain-clothed officer.

O’Kelley’s husband was in the process of hanging up the fliers when the man called back, saying he’d been lied to and that police were at the gas station.

“He said, ‘Don’t lie to me. I’m keeping your dog,’” O’Kelley said.

That last phone call at 11:15 p.m. Thursday came from a 7-Eleven payphone in North Hollywood, O’Kelley said. And that was the last time she heard from whoever has Walter.

Walter has a condition that causes his trachea to collapse, which is common for his breed.

Walter was outfitted with tags and has a microchip.

Winning $600 Million Powerball Ticket Sold in Florida


A Powerball ticket sold in Florida Saturday evening matched all six numbers drawn, according to the official Powerball website.

The winning numbers in Saturday's $600 million Powerball drawing were: 22, 10, 13, 14, 52 with a Powerball of 11.

The jackpot was a record for Powerball and the second largest U.S. lottery pot in history.

The lump sum cash prize is an estimated $376.9 million before taxes. The odd of winning the big prize were pretty small -- 1 in 175.2 million -- but that didn't discourage Americans across the country from purchasing about 80 percent of all possible combinations, NBC News reported.

This is a developing story. Refresh this page for updates as they become available.


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Boyfriend Charged With ECSU Student's Murder


State Police have arrested a man in connection with the disappearance and death of missing ECSU student Alyssiah Wiley.

Jermaine Richards, 30, was charged with murder Saturday afternoon, hours after police confirmed remains found in a wooded area of Trumbull were those of Wiley.

Richards turned himself in to Troop G State Police Barracks in Bridgeport Saturday afternoon, said police.

Family and friends of Alyssiah said Richards was her long time boyfriend.

Richards bail was set at $2,000,000 and he will appear in Bridgeport Superior Court on Monday , said State Police spokesman,  Lt. J. Paul Vance.

State Police began searching a wooded area off of Quarry Road early Friday morning. Around 10 a.m., a State Police Cadaver Dog alerted on what appeared to be human remains.

The Connecticut State Forensic Lab in Meriden confirmed that the remains in fact belonged to Wiley.

Wiley, a sophomore at Eastern Connecticut State University, was last seen in Bridgeport. Ricahreds told police that he dropped her off at a Dairy Queen near the campus in Willimantic at 11 p.m. on April 20.

That was the last time she was seen alive.

Corinna Martin, Alyssiah's mother, said Major Crimes Detectives came to her door to personally tell her.

She praised police for their effort and also says her daughter was taken from her by a "selfish and malicious person" and that she loved God and God loves her.

"A young woman who lived life, had her goals set, knew where she wanted to go, and knew what she had to do to get there.  And she loved it all to the fullest," Martin said.

The Office of the Chief State's Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the manner and cause of Wiley's death. 

The search for the 20-year-old student stretched from Willimantic to Meriden, East Haven, West Haven and Ansonia.





Navy Pier Worker Sets New Ferris Wheel World Record


Chicago's Navy Pier went into the record books this weekend for longest ride on a Ferris wheel.

Beginning Friday, pier operations manager Clinton Shepherd attempted to break the Guinness World Record for the longest ride on Chicago's iconic attraction. Shepherd hopped on at 2:30 p.m. with plans to stay on for a full 48 hours.

The previous record was 30 hours and 35 seconds. Shepherd broke that record and Navy Pier lit up the sky with fireworks after 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, but he didn't stop there.

He remained on the wheel for another 18 hours to reach his 48-hour goal, setting a new record of 48 hours, 8 minutes and 25 seconds on the Ferris wheel with no sleep.

Throughout the process, fan could follow Shepherd on Twitter and ask him questions via #FWRecord. Or ride along with him to be a part of history.

Navy Pier also offered free rides on all Pier Park attractions to all active military men and women and their families ahead of Armed Forces Day on Saturday. 

“This achievement highlights Navy Pier as the number one tourist attraction in the Midwest and serves as a great attraction as the City of Chicago honors the men and women of the Armed Forces,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said.

“Navy Pier is excited to host Clinton’s world record attempt,” Navy Pier, Inc CEO Marilynn Gardner said. “We support his commitment to bringing the world record to the city of Chicago where the first Ferris wheel was built in 1893 and we are proud to partner with him to dedicate his ride to the men and women of the armed forces.” 

Photo Credit: NBCChicago.com

Clean-Up Begins at the Connecticut Train Crash Site


The MTA says that the clean-up process has begun at the Metro-North Railroad crash site after Friday's rush hour derailment in Connecticut that injured 72 people.

The National Transportation Safety Board authorized the removal of rail cars from the crash site on Saturday night, allowing the investigation and clean-up process to proceed. All rail cars were removed by Sunday afternoon and taken to the Bridgeport railyard, according to the NTSB.

"Our crews will essentially be rebuilding two thousand feet of damaged track, and overhead wires and signal system," said Metro-North Railroad President Howard Permut.

Crews will work around-the-clock over multiple days to rebuild, which means disruption to the New Haven line will persist in the coming week, Permut said.

Investigators are looking into a broken part of the rail that underwent repairs last month, but have not determined whether it was a pre-existing fracture or if it occurred as a result of the accident, according to NTSB spokesperson Earl Weener, who spoke at a news conference on Saturday afternoon. The board said the FBI has ruled out foul play in the investigation.

The trains were traveling at approximately 70 mph at the time of the crash, which is the posted speed limit, according to the NTSB.

Officials arrived on the scene on Saturday morning to begin investigating the cause of the train crash, injuries sustained by the commuters and operator performance.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy and other officials spoke at a news conference on Saturday morning where they described a grisly scene after a Metro-North commuter train heading east from New York City derailed and was hit by an oncoming train heading west from New Haven.

"The damage is absolutely staggering," Sen. Blumenthal said. "Ribbons on the sides of cars are torn away like ribbons of clothes."

The NTSB's investigation could take seven to 10 days but that does not mean that service shutdown will take that long, board spokesman Earl Weener said..

The eastbound Metro-North train derailed just after 6:00 p.m. and was hit between the Bridgeport and Fairfield stations, officials said.

"We came to a sudden halt. We were jerked. There was smoke," Alex Cohen, a Canadian passenger on the westbound train en route to New York, told NBC Connecticut.

"People were screaming; people were really nervous. We were pretty shaken up. They had to smash a window to get us out," he said.

St. Vincent Hospital in Bridgeport, Conn. said on Saturday that it saw a total of 46 patients, six of whom were admitted for treatment.  As of Saturday night, all patients remained in the hospital and were reportedly in stable condition.

Bridgeport Hospital saw 26 patients and admitted three. Two of those patients were in critical condition a day after the accident, and one was in stable condition.

Photo Credit: AP

Dept. of Transportation Completes Construction Ahead of Time


Construction has been completed on I-95 and I-91 North in the Bridgeport and Fairfield areas ahead of time after the train crash on Friday.

The Department  of Transportation said in a press release that construction related to traffic shifts in the I-95 northbound/ I-91 northbound area between Exit 46, Long Wharf Drive, and the Exit 48, I-91 northbound exit ramp was completed 24 hours in advance in anticipation of the Monday morning commute.

The construction was necessary to complete traffic shifts on I-95 north.

The work was acclerated and completed  on Saturday morning, ahead of the anticipated Monday morning completion.

The D.O.T will announce later today plans to help with the commute  which will include the use of buses along some sections of the railroad, specifically between New Haven and Bridgeport, and between Bridgeport to points west of the site of the derailment.

For more information on train and bus schedules visit http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

WATCH: Obama Delivers Commencement Address at Morehouse College


President Obama speaks to the class of 2013 at Morehouse College.


Photo Credit: AP

Amtrak Train Derails in Chicago, Leads to Delays, Cancellations


An Amtrak train traveling from New Orleans to Chicago derailed Sunday with at least 197 passengers on board, according to officials.

The City of New Orleans train No. 58 was scheduled to arrive in Chicago, but derailed at 9:30 a.m. CDT just outside Chicago’s Union Station on 16th Street, officials said.

Shuttle buses transported passengers to Union Station and no injuries have been reported, authorities said.

Amtrak officials said the wheels of the train "lost contact with the tracks," but no further details were immediately available Sunday morning.

Trains on Metra's Rock Island District line are blocked from entering or exiting the LaSalle Street station. Commuters on delayed Metra trains are being routed to CTA buses, which will take them around the blockage, according to Metra's website.

CTA is honoring Metra passes for commuters between LaSalle Street station and their 35th Street station on the Green Line. Commuters can then board metra trains from the Lou Jones station, Metra said.

Metra trains No. 214 and 209 will not operate Sunday due the obstruction, according to Metra.

Amtrak train No. 391 is also delayed up to three hours, Amtrak officials said.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Stephanie Shostok

Crash Kills Student Day Before Graduation


A 21-year-old Fairfield University student from Massachusetts has died after a car crash a day before he was to graduate.

Deandre Lawton, 21, of Brockton, Mass., died when his car hit a tree near the university on Saturday. He was declared dead at Bridgeport Hospital.

The accident is being investigated.

Associated Press/NBC Connecticut

Preston 1st Selectman Recovering from Downed Tree


Preston First Selectman Robert Congdon is recovering after he said he was hit by a falling tree while clearing a road.

The Day of New London reports that Congdon, who also has been public works director, responded to a call on Thursday about tree limbs blocking a road. He drove to the site, taking his chain saw with him.

He said he was done with the work and heard a loud crack, like a tree breaking. He says he remembers nothing else.

Congdon, who was knocked unconscious and found by a neighbor, was hospitalized in intensive care from Thursday until Saturday when he was released.

He said he suffered several broken ribs and bleeding behind the sternum. Congdon calls himself a lucky camper.

Associated Press/NBC Connecticut

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Girl, 14, Killed by Stray Bullet While Riding New York City Bus


A 14-year-old girl riding a city bus in Queens, New York, Saturday on her way home from a sweet-16 party was shot in the head and killed by a stray bullet from gunfire on the street, police said.

Police identified the victim Sunday as Daja Robinson of South Jamaica.

Robinson was sitting about three rows from the back of the Q6 bus at about 8:45 p.m. near Sutphin and Rockaway boulevards in South Jamaica when the shot came through the bus and killed her.

The shots were fired toward the bus while it was moving, according to police. Investigators recovered nine bullet shell casings.

Robinson was with two friends returning from the party at Onyx Lounge on Rockaway Boulevard, according to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

Kelly said police didn't believe Robinson was the intended target, and they are looking into possible gang involvement in the shooting. 

No arrests have been made. 



Photo Credit: NBC 4 New York/Facebook

Expect Traffic Backup from Bridgeport to New York


Traffic is growing on highways from Bridgeport into New York as drivers make the journey into New York on the first workday since the derailment on Friday.

Expect heavy congestion on Interstate 95 and the Merritt Parkway.

Over the weekend Gov. Dannel Malloy warned that should all 30,000 affected commuters take to the highways to get to work, "we would literally have a parking lot."

If a substantial number of affected consumers hit the roads, traffic will be "greatly slowed," he said.

"If you are going to New York and you get to New York or you're transporting yourself to New York you may decide that perhaps you should stay there for the duration of this disturbance," Malloy said.

State police have added  two state troopers on highways for the morning commute.

You can check the traffic map here to see what is affected.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Mayor: Fallen Firefighter Was "A Hero"


The body of a Dallas firefighter who radioed for help after becoming trapped in a burning condominium has been recovered.

The firefighter, Stanley Wilson, was among the 100 Dallas firefighters who responded to a six-alarm fire at the Hearthwood Condominiums at 12363 Abrams Road Monday morning.

According to Dallas Fire-Rescue Chief Louie Bright III, Wilson was a 28-year-veteran of the fire department. Wilson was a native North Texan and a Lake Highlands graduate.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said of Wilson, "he's a hero. As I told his boys, they should be very proud."

Wilson is survived by a wife and two sons.

When firefighters arrived shortly before 3 a.m., smoke was seen billowing through the roof of the complex. Dallas Fire-Rescue's Jason Evans said firefighters initially started to attack the fire offensively, but moved to a defensive posture due to how fast the fire was growing.

At about 5 a.m., Wilson radioed that he was trapped inside the building and that he wasn't sure where he was. Evans said crews had not been able to reach Wilson by radio since that message.

At about 9:15 a.m., Wilson was found. He was removed from the rubble, covered in an American flag and carried to an ambulance as dozens of firefighters and onlookers flanked either side, removed their helmets and saluted the procession.

The DFR ambulance then left the scene with a police escort, but without lights or sirens.

Two other firefighters were injured battling the fire and were hospitalized.  Evans did not believe the injuries to those firefighters were life-threatening.

Even though the large fire made searching for the trapped firefighter, or any other residents, difficult, five residents were rescued from the fire. Some older residents were seen climbing down the ladder of a DFR fire engine to safety.

Two injured residents were treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation. There are no reports of any other injured or missing residents. At this time, the only known fatality is the firefighter, Stanley Wilson.

Many other residents of the community were evacuated. 

Officials said at least 24 units were destroyed and that the roof of the building collapsed in some areas, leaving third-floor apartments exposed. Other damaged portions of the building may have collapsed as well.

Church leaders from Park Cities Baptist Church spent Monday night with Wilson's family.

"Stan is just a selfless man, led his boys to be selfless leaders," said Dr. Jeff Warren of Park Cities Baptist Church.

"He was always looking out for everybody else," said David Ochoa, Boy Scouts of America Troop 890 Scout Master.

Church leaders will meet tomorrow with members of Wilson's family to prepare for his funeral, which will include both Dallas firefighters and members of Troop 890.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

NBC 5's Kevin Cokely contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News/Dallas Fire Rescue

78-Year-Old UConn Grad Wants to Help Veterans


Among the many proud graduates of the UConn Law School class of 2013, one man stood out from the others during ceremonies over the weekend.

Donald Fenton is 78 years old and he went back to school after retiring with the intention of helping veterans returning after fighting overseas.

The Army veteran and successful business man retired 12 years ago, but decided he still had a lot more to accomplish for members of the U.S. military.   

"I hoped a legal education would better enable me to give back to society from which I have gained so much," Fenton said. "I was lucky in terms of my family, my military service, my career after the service, and so a chance to do something for somebody else is something I think we should all do."

When Fenton walked across the stage to accept his law degree, he proudly wore military medals pinned to his gown, including the Silver Star for valor. 

Fenton graduated from college in 1957 and went on to the U.S. Army, serving 10 years. Then he went on to raise a family and have a successful business career before retiring. This latest chapter in his life is one he will look back on fondly.

"Just going to law school with a bunch of young people who are very bright, very capable, is a pleasure in itself. That's a reward in itself," he said.

Now, Fenton wants to help fellow veterans, including those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"These kids coming back -- 19, 20, 21 years old -- they do need help coming back if they're facing difficulties. And if there's anything i can do to help them, I will," Fenton said.

His family is proud, but they also have a sense of humor.

"I got an email from one of my daughters, my youngest daughter who's an attorney, and she congratulated me but she said, ‘I can't be your intern,” Fenton said.

Fenton plans to take the bar exam in February, but will start working with veterans groups while he studies.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Accused of Punching Woman Outside Bowling Alley


South Windsor police arrested a Hartford man accused of punching a woman outside Revolution Bowling on Friday evening.

Police responded to Revolution Bowling on Bidwell Road at 8:30 p.m. after receiving reports of an assault in the parking lot and witnesses told investigators that a man had punched a woman in the parking area and fled, police said.

Medics treated the woman at the scene for a possible broken jaw and an ambulance took her to St. Francis Hospital.

Witnesses gave police a description of the car the man fled in and police detained Gary Wright, 48, on Route 5 near Interstate 291.  

He was charged with assault in the second degree, breach of peace and unlawful restraint in the first degree.

Wright was held on $75,000 surety bond and is due in Manchester Superior Court on Monday.


Photo Credit: South Windsor Police

Cause of Quantico-Based FBI Agents' Deaths Still Unknown


A spokesman for the medical examiner's office in Norfolk, Va., says it could be several weeks before they know how two agents with the FBI's hostage rescue team died during a training accident off Virginia Beach.

Glen McBride confirmed the office is awaiting toxicology reports on both Agent Christopher Lorek and Special Agent Stephen Shaw. Both men, who were a part of the FBI’s Critical Incident Response Group, were on a weeklong training trip in Hampton Roads when they died Friday.

The accident happened on a Military Sealift Command ship the FBI leased from the Navy, reported WAVY-TV, citing a Navy spokesperson. The agents were then airlifted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where they were pronouced dead.

The cause of death was not specified, and an investigator for the Norfolk Medical Examiner's Office said that no information would be released until Monday morning. FBI spokesman Paul Bresson also said the cause of the incident is under review.

Navy personnel were not involved in the training exercise.

Lorek, 41,  and Shaw, 40, were based in Quantico, Va.

"We mourn the loss of two brave and courageous men," FBI Director Robert Mueller said in the statement. "Like all who serve on the Hostage Rescue Team, they accept the highest risk each and every day, when training and on operational missions, to keep our nation safe. Our hearts are with their wives, children, and other loved ones who feel their loss most deeply. And they will always be part of the FBI family."

Lorek joined the FBI in 1996 and is survived by his wife and two daughters, ages 11 and 8. Shaw worked for the FBI for eight years. He is survived by his wife, 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son.

The Hostage Rescue Team is part of the Critical Incident Response Group based at Quantico.

CIRG, an elite hostage rescue team, made headlines earlier this year when they successfully rescued a 5-year-old boy who was being held hostage in an underground bunker in Alabama. Agents killed the boy's captor, Jimmy Lee Dykes, who took the boy from a school bus.

Trained in military tactics and outfitted with combat-style gear and weapons, the group was formed 30 years ago in preparation for the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. The team is deployed quickly to trouble spots and provides assistance to local FBI offices during hostage situations. It has participated in hostage situations more than 800 times in the U.S. and elsewhere since 1983.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for the latest on this developing story.



Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live