Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

FAA Issues Warning About Samsung Phones


The Federal Aviation Administration on Thursday strongly urged travelers not to turn on or charge Samsung Galaxy Note 7 cell phones while on planes, after a series of incidents involving exploding batteries.

In a statement, the FAA also advised travelers not to stow the devices in any checked baggage.

Samsung Electronics issued a recall on Sept. 2 for the roughly 2.5 million devices after reports that batteries exploded during charging.

Three Australian airlines have already barred passengers from using or charging the smartphones during flights.

The recall resulted in a nearly $7 billion loss for Samsung's share value this week.

Photo Credit: Ahn Young-joon, AP

Dozens Taken to Hospital After Hazmat Incident in Bristol


Dozens of people have been taken to local hospitals after they were exposed to carbon monoxide at an office building in Bristol.

Emergency crews responded to 32 Valley St. in Bristol at 11 a.m. on Thursday and 30 to 40 people were taken to hospitals, but no serious injuries are reported.

Employees were evacuated first from the Faneuil call center, then the whole building was evacuated.

The cause of the carbon monoxide issue could be a propane-powered saw used for construction upstairs.

Firefighters are beginning to leave the scene and employees will be allowed to go inside to pick up personal belongings.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Baby Found Unresponsive at Unlicensed Fairfield Daycare Dies


A 4-month old died in March after being found unresponsive at an unlicensed day care in Fairfield, police said. 

On March 22, police responded to 63 Edgewood Road to investigate the report of an unresponsive infant.

The baby was transported and pronounced dead at St. Vincent's Medical Center. 

Fairfield Police found Carol Cardillo, 53, lived in the home and was operating an unlicensed daycare facility. 

On June 4, the office of the chief medical examiner reported that the baby died of acute diphenhydramine intoxication. Police said diphenhydramine is an antihistamine drug that should not be administered to children under the age of 2 years old. 

Cardillo was arrested for second-degree manslaughter because the drug had to have been administered to the 4-month-old baby.  She was also charged with second-degree reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor. 

Photo Credit: Fairfield Police Department
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Hacker Sends Inappropriate Content From Old Lyme Teacher's Email Account


One school district is searching for a hacker after someone sent inappropriate emails to students using a teacher's account.

Holly Cox said on Wednesday night her 11-year-old son received emails filled with sexually-explicit language.

"He had read all the emails, and he said, 'Mom, they were just so inappropriate.' I said, 'What did they say?' He said, 'I can't say it, mom. I can't say it,'" said Cox.

Her son, who is in the Region 18 Lyme-Old Lyme Public Schools, wasn't the only one to receive the messages.

Parents said hours later the superintendent of schools sent out this email:

Dear all,

This evening beginning at 8:32 p.m. someone accessed the e-mail account of one of our high school teachers and sent three highly inappropriate messages to our entire school community. These emails were not sent by the teacher whose account was used. Please be assured that this teacher, while upset by the situation, is safe. Our technology staff is on campus and is working through the night to stop the flow of emails and track the origin of the sender. Should you or your student receive one of these inappropriate emails, please delete it immediately. Do not reply to the e-mail. At this time, we have shut down all student network accounts to allow our technology team time to remove the inappropriate e-mails and subsequent responses from all student accounts. We expect to restore student account access some time late on Thursday. Staff will plan lessons accordingly. As always, our goal is to keep students safe and, in doing so, we will work with local law enforcement to determine the source of these e-mails and take appropriate action.


Mr. Ian Neviaser
Superintendent of Schools

"According to my son, a lot of kids never got to read them because the email system was locked down before they got a chance, but unfortunately he did," said Cox.

And so, unfortunately, did Jeanine Jones' two children who are 12 and 15.

"My children were old enough, and I could talk to them. But I'm sure a lot of other parents were extremely shocked and upset," said Jones.

Jones thinks the culprit is more than likely another student but state police have not released any information.

"Somebody thought it was a funny joke, but it wasn't. And it also went to some children who were too young to be exposed to the language that was in the email," said Jones.

With the district shutting down the network, sending out an update to parents, and talking to kids the next day, Jones and other parents said they're pleased with the response.

"I personally spoke to the principal when I picked up my son today ... at the high school, and he was in full control. So I think they did a terrific job," said Jones.

NBC Connecticut reached out to the superintendent but did not hear back by time of publication.

Photo Credit: AP

Crews Responding to Haz-Mat Situation at Sharon Hospital

NASA Launches Interstellar Search for Life's Origins


NASA laucnhed a space probe Thursday with a seven year mission to land on an asteroid, collect samples and possibly discover more about the creation of life, NBC News reported.

The 19-story rocket, built and flown for NASA by United Launch Alliance, lifted off at 7:05 p.m. (2305 GMT) from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, hurling the satellite explorer Osiris-Rex on its voyage to the near-Earth asteroid Bennu.

It will take Osiris-Rex two years to reach its destination, a dark, rocky mass roughly a third of a mile wide and shaped like a giant acorn orbiting the sun at roughly the same distance as Earth.

Bennu is thought to be covered with organic compounds dating back to the earliest days of the solar system.

Photo Credit: AP

Crews Battle Guilford Condo Fire

North Korea Says It Conducted Fifth Nuclear Test


North Korea conducted its second nuclear test in eight months on Friday, raising concerns that Pyongyang has moved a step closer to its goal of a nuclear-armed missile that could one day strike the U.S. mainland, NBC News reported.

State TV said the atomic detonation — the fifth carried out by Kim Jong Un's isolated regime — "put on a higher level [the North's] technology of mounting nuclear warheads on ballistic rockets." North Korea conducted its second nuclear test in eight months on Friday, raising concerns that Pyongyang has moved a step closer to its goal of a nuclear-armed missile that could one day strike the U.S. mainland.

State TV said the atomic detonation — the fifth carried out by Kim Jong Un's isolated regime — "put on a higher level [the North's] technology of mounting nuclear warheads on ballistic rockets."

Photo Credit: Wong Maye-E, AP

State Suspends Liquor License of West Hartford Bar


The state has suspended the liquor license of a West Hartford bar where a shooting took place at the beginning of September

In response to the recent shooting, West Hartford police requested a summary suspension for Los Imperios restaurant on Farmington Avenue through the Department of Consumer Protection. 

Police said the suspension follows years of non-compliance and disturbances at the restaurant. 

"The move is to ensure the safety of customers and neighbors alike," Lt. Eric Rocheleau of the West Hartford Police Department said. 

On Sept. 3, police responded early in the morning to Farmington Ave. for reports of multiple shots fired. Witnesses told police a group of six to eight people began arguing inside the Los Imperios Club. Police believe the situation escalated and shots were fired as the two groups left the club.

No injuries were reported, but two vehicles were found damaged by bullets, and police found more than a dozen shell casings at the scene.

Police believe a silver or tan Cadillac may have been involved and are looking to speak to the owner of the car. The car probably has bullet holes in it, police said.

Anyone who recognizes the vehicle or who witnessed the incident Saturday is asked to contact Det. Sgt. Anthony Anderle at (860) 570-8873.

Photo Credit: West Hartford Police

Parents Remember 'Last Moment' With 4-Month-Old Who Died at Daycare


Matthew and Michelle Seagull said their son Adam was finally coming into his own personality at just four months old. 

"We started to see the personality that Adam was going to have as an older child," Michelle said. "We were really looking forward to all the things we had seen coming."

But, according to police, Adam died from acute diphenhydramine intoxication, after a daycare provider, Carol Cardillo, allegedly gave the infant Benadryl.

Antihistamine drugs are not supposed to be given to chilren under the age of 2 years old. 

"She violated our trust and the trust of so many parents," the infant's father, Matthew, said. "The idea that she was so lazy and thoughtless to use medication to put children to sleep is horrifying."

On March 22, police responded to investigate the report of an unresponsive infant at a Fairfield daycare. The baby, Adam, was transported and pronounced dead at St. Vincent's Medical Center. Fairfield Police found Cardillo, 53, lived in the home and was operating an unlicensed daycare facility.

"I don’t even know if I have the words," Michelle said. "I think I permanently have a hole in my heart and I don’t think I will ever feel whole again."

Matthew said the day in March was like any other day he got Adam ready for daycare. 

"I just sort of looked at him and decided to take a picture I don’t know why, something came over me," Matthew said. "I took a picture and it was the last moment we spent together."

Later that day, Matthew and Michelle got a call about their son being transported to the hospital for being found unresponsive. 

"You put a child in the care of someone expecting to have that child, to see that child at the end of the day," Matthew said. "That day we didn’t get to."

The parents said they feel betrayed by Cardillo and hope that justice is served. 

"I trusted Carol (Cardillo) to watch my son and I thought my son was in the best care when I went to work," Michelle said. "She betrayed that trust and nothing that will ever happen from this day forward will bring my son back but we are just looking forward to finding justice for him."

 Initially the investigators found no wrongdoing and the parents thought Adam had died of SIDS, before getting the toxicology report about a month later. 

"A month later, still processing that our son was no longer with us," Matthew said. "Hearing the news that night it was like he died all over again."

Michelle said she had one question: "Why did you think that would be okay?"

For now, the bereaved family hopes to get justice for their baby boy by working with the Fairfield Police Department.  

Cardillo has been charged with manslaughter and risk of injury to a minor.

The parents hope the unfortunate death of their son will stop other babies from being harmed in the future. They think their son is a hero. 

"We just live each day for our son Adam," Michelle said.

Photo Credit: Seagull Family

'Kidnapped' Montana Woman's Tale Appears to Unravel


Authorities are seriously questioning the incredible story of the Montana woman who was found dead in Washington after having told her husband and police that she'd been kidnapped and was calling them from the trunk of her own car.

The body of Rita M. Maze, 47, of Great Falls, Montana, was found shortly after midnight Wednesday in a parking lot outside Spokane, Wash., International Airport, according to Montana and Washington authorities.

They said she'd made the phone calls from the trunk of the car, where she said a man she didn't know had forced her after having struck her on the head.

Photo Credit: GoFundMe

47 Birds Mysteriously Fall From Sky in Boston Neighborhood


Health officials are investigating after 47 birds fell from the sky in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood on Thursday.

Rescuers were able to save 35 of the birds, but 12 have died. Investigators are working to determine the cause, and whether the deaths of two cats in the neighborhood could be related. A third cat was also affected.

"When I arrived, birds would fly, like from a house to a tree, they would flop in the tree and they would fall to the ground," said Alan Borgal of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. "The weaker ones were just falling right out the sky."

All the birds were grackles, black songbirds that typically travel in large flocks. They were found thrashing around on Bakersfield Street and the sidewalks nearby around 2 p.m.

"They couldn't get up," said resident Linda Veale.

"We don't know what is going on," said John Meaney of the city of Boston's Inspectional Services. "So we are investigating all avenues."

City officials are looking at everything from a virus, to environmental poisoning, to something intentional. They're also studying the many feeders neighborhood residents have outside.

"They could have put something out that was unintentional," said Meaney. "Something that didn't get along with this species of bird because we have two species here, and the other species did not die or get harmed."

Willien Pugh's outdoor cat named Sally suddenly died Thursday morning, as well.

"It's unbelievable," said Pugh. "Something is happening, but I don't know, but I'm without a cat."

Investigators are trying to figure out if Sally's death is connected, and they are wondering if more pets could be tied in.

"Now we have three domestic pets involved and 47 birds, so it's a concern until we figure out you what happened," Borgal said.

The two dead cats and all of the birds will be tested.

Investigators do not believe there is any danger to humans, but they say pet owners should be extra cautious as to what their pets are putting in their mouths when they're outside.

The birds that died are being sent to Tufts University to be tested to see what may have caused them to fall ill. Test results are expected to be made available early next week.

City inspectors were backed at the scene on Friday morning looking for any more dead birds, but they didn't find yet. There is still no cause, but poisoning is being eyed as a serious possibility.

Photo Credit: Animal Rescue League of Boston

Trump Accepts Obama Was Born in US, Giuliani Says


Donald Trump's adviser Rudy Giuliani said the Republican presidential nominee has finally accepted that Barack Obama was born in the United States.

Trump has never publicly apologized or acknowledged that he was wrong in falsely suggesting that Obama was born in another country.

Trump claimed victory when Obama released his full birth certificate in 2011 — showing that the president was born in Hawaii.

Giuliani told Chris Matthews on MSNBC Thursday that Trump "believes now that [Obama] was born in the United States."

"I believe it, he believes it, we all believe it," the former New York mayor said. "But it took a long time to get it out."

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Florida Man Says Samsung Note 7 Set Family Jeep Ablaze


A Florida man says his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone exploded inside his car and ignited a fire that destroyed the vehicle.

Nathan Dornacher said he and his wife, Lydia Dornacher, returned to their St. Petersburg home from a garage sale to drop off a desk he purchased on Labor Day.

While unloading his car, Nathan Dornacher said he left the Jeep on and the air conditioning running since he planned on heading out again to a local pet supply store, according to his Facebook post. Dornacher noted that he had left his cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, charging in the Jeep because "me and Lydia always fight over the house charger."

When he returned to his car, Dornacher said he saw the dashboard on fire and opened the door to find the interior was "engulfed" in flames.

"Not the barbecue I wanted on my day off," Dornacher wrote.

Firefighters responded to put out the blaze, but the Jeep's interior had been completely destroyed and the car was totaled.

"His general impression was that the fire was on the interior of the dashboard somewhere,” said St. Petersburg Deputy Fire Marshal Steve Lawrence.

Lawrence says they have to be certain it wasn’t something else before concluding the smartphone is to blame.

The incident came just days after the tech giant announced that it was recalling and suspending sales of its Galaxy Note7 smartphone after reports of the device catching fire while charging.

U.S. aviation safety officials Thursday warned airline passengers not to turn on or charge the Samsung smartphone during flights and not to put the Galaxy Note 7 phones in their checked bags, citing "recent incidents and concerns raised by Samsung" about the devices.

On Thursday, the Dornacher family posted an update on Facebook saying they don't plan to sue Samsung, but that the company is sending a representative to their home to check out their case. He says his phone was only five days old.

"All I want out of this is for everyone to take this recall seriously and if you didn't know about it please educate yourself before it's too late I had the phone for 5 days and not having TV or a notification we did not know," he said. "We are safe no one was hurt all that matters to me."

Photo Credit: Nathan Dornacher
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Man Broke Into Rita's Italian Ice in Shelton: Police


Shelton police arrested a 48-year-old man Thursday and charged him with a burglary at Rita's Italian Ice.

Officers responded to a burglary alarm at the store at 783 River Road around 3:30 a.m. on Thursday. They found the front door lock damaged and a safe missing from inside.

According to police, surveillance video showed the suspected burglar driving a dark BMW 3 series car. A short time later, Stratford police stopped the car with Steven Carloto driving.

Carloto had coin rolls from Rita's and burglar tools in the car, according to police.

He was charged with third-degree burglary, fourth-degree larceny, criminal mischief and possession of burglary tools.

Photo Credit: Shelton Police

'Evil Stepmother' Gets 15 Years for Starving, Torturing NYC Girl


A Queens woman was sentenced Friday to 15 years in prison for beating and starving her young stepdaughter for two years, depriving her of food and water and hitting her with baseball bats and broom handles so severely that in one case, the little girl was found lying in a pool of blood with a wrist cut so deep her tendons were visible, prosecutors said.

Sheetal Ranot, 35, was accused of locking the 12-year-old girl in her room, hitting her in the face with a rolling pin and beating her with a broken metal broom handle that cut her wrist down to the bone. She was convicted of assault and child endangerment charges in July. 

The victim's biological father, Rajesh Ranot, is also charged with assault, unlawful imprisonment and child endangerment. He will be tried at a later date. It's unclear what happened to the child after the arrests. 

Prosecutors allege the Ozone Park duo terrorized the child from December 2012 to July 2014.

According to a criminal complaint, Sheetal Ranot repeatedly hit her stepdaughter, causing bruising and pain, locked her in her bedroom and starved here for extended periods of time during that two-year span. In one case, the 31-year-old woman allegedly kicked the then 10-year-old girl in the face while wearing shoes.

Six months later, Ranot repeatedly hit the girl with a broken metal broom handle, leaving her with a cut near her knee and a cut so deep on her wrist that her tendons were exposed and she needed to have surgery, the complaint said.

Rajesh Ranot also allegedly starved the girl for years, and prosecutors say he forced her to take cold showers while he beat her with his fists and other household objects, including a baseball bat.

In April 2014, Sheetal Ranot allegedly hit her stepdaughter in the face with a wooden rolling pin. The girl had to be taken to the hospital, and doctors there saw she was painfully thin -- weighing 58 pounds -- and wearing dirty clothes. It wasn't clear if they contacted authorities.

Over the next three weeks, prosecutors allege Rajesh Ranot continued to beat his daughter with a baseball bat. The girl was taken to the emergency room, where doctors noticed various bruises, marks and scars in different stages of healing all over her body. An investigation was launched and the stepmother and father were arrested shortly afterward.

Child-welfare authorities ultimately removed the girl from the home.

Missing Hospital Employee Found Dead With Stab Wounds: Police


The hospital employee who was reported missing after she didn't return from break was found dead with stab wounds on Friday, police said. 

Janet Caraballo, 37, left the Hospital of Central Connecticut around 7:45 p.m. Thursday for break. 

Her co-worker told police she got into her boyfriend's car and left behind her cellphone and purse, police said. The co-worker called police when Caraballo didn't return as scheduled. 

The boyfriend was identified as Luis Rodriguez, 45, of New Britain.

Around 1 a.m. on Friday morning, police located Rodriguez's car and his body inside. Initial indications are that his death was by suicide.

Later in the day, at 2 p.m., police discovered the remains believed to be Caraballo's in a secluded wooded area in Plainville, just over the New Britain town line. 

The initial investigation found that they woman had suffered from stab wounds. 

New Britain police said they are continuing the investigation but no other suspect is being sought. The incident appears to be a domestic related murder-suicide. 

“This is extremely tragic news. We offer our sincerest condolences to Janet’s co-workers, friends, family and loved ones," Shawn Mawhiney, a spokesman for Hartford Healthcare, said.

Photo Credit: New Britain Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Moving 9/11 Tribute on Old Saybrook Town Green


The Old Saybrook town green on Main Street is filled with 2,977 flags. The flags represent each person killed in the terror attacks on September 11, 2001.

The display includes hundreds of American flags, as well as flags from other countries representing the nationalities of the people who died.

It is attracting dozens of people to stop and catch a glimpse.

"Even 15 years later when we saw these flags this morning I got goosebumps," said Angela Covert, who worked in Midtown Manhattan and still lives in the city. "It is a very powerful statement about what happened that day, a very sad day. I don't know who is responsible for this, but it is just beautiful."

“It is just very moving just to look and see all of those different lives lost on that day. It was a big moment for America and we all came together," said Budd Hayes, of Old Saybrook.

Seeing the flags is reminding people of the loss and of the patriotism they felt that day.

“You think about the people who lost their lives, you think about the people who survived it and you think about how we as a nation need to come together. We need to think about each other and not just ourselves,” said Covert.

"We will always remember, we will never forget and it is something we need to put forward to our kids and our kids' kids," Hayes said.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Healthcare Provider CEO on Leave Following DUI Arrest


The CEO for a Connecticut healthcare provider has taken a short leave of absence following a DUI arrest. 

Eastern Connecticut Health Network's Peter Karl, the company's CEO, was arrested for driving under the influence over the weekend.

"We fully support his decision to take this time to address personal matters related to this issue," Nina Kruse, vice president of ECHN, said in a statement. "We do not anticipate that this issue will have any negative impact on ongoing operations or the pending transaction to be acquired by Prospect Medical Holdings."

On Sept. 3, a witnesses said he saw a BMW on Main Street with a man slumped over. Fearing the man was dead, he called police around 10:17 p.m., according to West Hartford Police.

Responding officers said Karl was leaning against his car when they arrived and he was observed urinating his pants. When Karl was asked to perform sobriety tests, he failed, police said. 

Police said they also found a partially drank bottle of bourbon in the front passenger floor board.

Karl was arrested and his car was towed. 

Photo Credit: West Hartford Police

2 Coast Guard Cadets Accused of Sexual Assault


Two Coast Guard cadets accused of sexual assault will face a courts-martial.

Cadet Michael Shermot was charged with violating the Uniform Code of Military Justice Sexual assault. The cadet is scheduled to appear for the court-martial in Norfolk, Virginia, on Sept. 12, according to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

Cadet Anthony Livingstone was also charged with sexual assault, in addition to extortion. Livingstone will appear at the court-martial in Norfolk on Oct. 26, the academy said.  

There were no other details immediately available.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live