Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

School Nurses In Lebanon To Be Equipped With Narcan


Doses of Narcan will soon be in all school nurse's offices in Lebanon. Narcan counters the life-threatening effects of an opioid overdose.

Sandy Belisle has been the nurse at Lyman Memorial High School in Lebanon for sixteen years. “Whatever we can do to help students, I'm for it," she said.

Belisle supports a new plan to have doses of Narcan at the ready in her office as well as in the nurse's offices at Lebanon middle and elementary schools.

“It is a safeguard and that's what we should look at it as," said Belisle.

Narcan, or Naloxone, is used to reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. Though overdoses have not been an issue within Lebanon schools, district leaders said they want to follow other Connecticut school systems in getting this safeguard in place now.

“This is just another drug tool available to our school nurses in case the need arises," said Robert Angeli, Lebanon Superintendent of Schools.

Starting this fall, the elementary, middle and high schools will each have two doses of Narcan nasal spray on hand at a cost of about fifty dollars per dose.

Belisle, meanwhile, stresses that there is a movement to make Narcan available to school nurses nationwide to confront a problem that can creep into any community.

“Narcan has been beneficial, has saved lives," said Belisle. "If we have that potential in our medicine cabinet in school nurses office, I think that's a great thing.”

Each dose of Narcan will expire after about eighteen months. The superintendent said it is an inexpensive way to make these schools safer.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

History Begins Probe of 'Earhart' Photo After Doubts Raised


After the History channel revealed last week that a hidden and mislabeled photograph suggested vanished aviator Amelia Earhart survived her crash, the channel announced Tuesday it is investigating claims that a Japanese blogger made against the autenticity of the photo, NBC News reported.

The blogger on Tuesday wrote that the photo was actually taken in 1935 and does not show Earhart. The photo also appears on Japan's national library website with a publication date of 1935.

"History has a team of investigators exploring the latest developments about Amelia Earhart, and we will be transparent in our findings," the channel said in a statement on its Twitter page. "Ultimately historical accuracy is most important to us and our viewers."

History aired a two-hour special on Sunday about the photo to help clear up one of the 20th century's greatest mysteries.

Photo Credit: History Channel via "Today" show

Animal Advocates, Customers Clash at Florida Chick-fil-A


It was a chaotic scene at a Southwest Florida Chick-fil-A Tuesday as animal rights activists clashed with customers and employees during the fast food chain's annual Cow Appreciation Day celebration.

Customer Tina Lealock posted a video to Facebook showing the group of advocates rallying inside the Pinellas Park Chick-fil-A with customers and employees inside. Some demonstrators wore cow and chicken costumes with fake blood splattered on their clothes. One protester was seen carrying what appeared to be a fake knife as the group chanted, "It's not food; it’s violence!"

Some parents were outraged by the group, including Lealock. She wrote in her Facebook post that some activists went too far when they pretended to cut costumed demonstrators in front of children eating at the restaurant.

“People running in with knives, bleeding. Like bleeding on their shirts and just bloody knives. It scared the kids,” said Nichole Kretchmar.

One woman is seen on video yelling at the protesters, "Why y'all acting like this? Stop!"  Other patrons screamed, "Get out!" 

The group eventually left the restaurant before police officers arrived.

NBC 6 affiliate in Tampa, WFLA, said the group was part of Direct Action Everywhere Pinellas, an organization that opposes eating meat or anything else from animals.

“People might be upset, but I think that putting it out on the table and showing people, like this is the reality of where the animals are coming from and how bad the animals are suffering,” spokeswoman Kayla Leaming told WFLA.

Photo Credit: Tina Lealock

Man Charged in Motorcycle Crash That Killed West Haven Man


An East Haven man has been arrested in connection with a crash that killed a 22-year-old West Haven man in April.

Jose Luis Rodriguez was killed when his motorcycle and another vehicle collided at Campbell Avenue and Lamson Street on April 27, according to police.

After reviewing video evidence, witness statements and evidence left at the scene, police said they determined the driver of the motor vehicle, 67-year-old Frank Zachey, of East Haven, was at fault for the collision.

Zachey was arrested Tuesday and transported to West Haven Police Department, where he was charged with negligent homicide with a motor vehicle and failure to grant the right of way.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com and West Haven Police

Massive Iceberg Breaks From Antarctic Ice Shelf: Scientists


A huge iceberg the size of a Great Lake, one of the largest ever, split from an ice shelf in Antarctica sometime since Monday, according to researchers tracking its progress.

The iceberg weighs more than a trillion tonnes, is larger than Rhode Island and contains twice the volume of Lake Erie, according to scientists with Project MIDAS, a British research group that monitors the Larsen C ice shelf.

"The iceberg is one of the largest recorded and its future progress is difficult to predict. It may remain in one piece but is more likely to break into fragments," said Swansea University professor Adrian Luckman, the project's lead researcher.

The iceberg had been been cracking away, or calving, from the ice shelf for months, but it surprised scientists by taking so long to break off completely, Luckman said. Satellite imagery incidated that the iceberg had calved.

Worldwide sea level won't be affected by the event because the Larsen C ice shelf is already floating, and calving of smaller icebergs is normal.

But that ice shelf helps prevent glaciers from running off land in Antarctica and into the water, which could impact the sea level around the world, and the loss of the masssive iceberg reduces its size by 12 percent, according to the researchers.

They note that a nearby ice shelf disintegrated in 2002, seven years after a large iceberg calved from it.

"Although this is a natural event, and we're not aware of any link to human-induced climate change, this puts the ice shelf in a very vulnerable position," Swansea University glaciologist Martin O'Leary said in the statement. "This is the furthest back that the ice front has been in recorded history. We’re going to be watching very carefully for signs that the rest of the shelf is becoming unstable."

Photo Credit: John Sonntag/NASA, File

Several Vehicles Involved in Crash on I-84 West in Newtown

Prime Day 2017 Was Amazon's Biggest Shopping Event Ever


Black Friday and Cyber Monday are big shopping days on Amazon, but the online retailer's own shopping holiday, Prime Day, has them both beat, the company said Wednesday. 

The July 11 event that saw 3.5 million toys purchased around the world was "the biggest day ever in Amazon history," Amazon said in a news release.

Only Prime members can make purchases as part of the day, and tens of millions did so this year, according to the statement, more than half again as many as the of Prime members made a purchase on Prime Day 2017, more than 50 percent higher than the prior year — though Amazon didn't give specific numbers.

Amazon's Echo Dot was the most popular item globally, while the most popular non-Amazon products purchased in the United States were a programmable pressure cooker and the 23andMe DNA test.

Some deliveries came incredibly quickly — in Sunnyvale and Berkeley, California, and Kirkland, Washington, people who ordered snacks, writeable DVD packs and a Samsung hard drive through Prime Now received their purchases in 12 minutes, according to the company.

Photo Credit: Mark Lennihan/AP Photo, File

Skateboarders Scuffle With Police in San Francisco


One police officer was injured Tuesday evening at the scene of a skateboarders' street rally in San Francisco's Dolores Park that turned into a standoff lasting more than one hour, according to police.

San Francisco police were warning the public to avoid the area of Dolores and 19th streets after multiple skateboarders traveling at high speeds down Dolores refused to comply with officers' attempts to shut down the rally, police said.

The rally started at 7:11 p.m., police said. The skateboarders were being towed up the hill by vehicles and then riding down the hill on the boards, some performing tricks on the way down.

The police response initially was for a call reporting someone needing medical attention. But the crowd did not allow the officers to tend to a person in the street with a head injury, police said.

A large fight broke out at some point, with multiple officers involved, so SFPD tried to clear the park, police said. For more than an hour, skaters shouted and threw objects such as bottles.

Police described the scene as a hostile environment, but one skateboarder who didn't want to be identified claims officers overreacted. 

A police spokeswoman said two patrol cars were vandalized and one officer was injured and transported to a hospital. The extent of the officer's injury was not known.

Ambulances were called for skateboarders who lost control, police said. Multiple skateboarders were taken to hospitals with head injuries, police said.

One video posted to social media appears to show an officer on foot bumping into one traveling skateboarder, causing the skateboarder to crash into a parked patrol car. That skateboarder also was treated for injuries, police said. 

It appears as though a similar skateboarding event also took place this time last year in San Francisco. It's not clear if Tuesday's event was a repeat performance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: @barryoreilly/Twitter
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Teen Electrocuted in Bath Reaching for Phone: Family


A 14-year-old West Texas teen died early Sunday after being electrocuted while in the bathtub, according to her family.

Family members told KCBD-TV in Lubbock that Madison Coe was in the tub when she either grabbed her phone or plugged it into the wall outlet.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened," said her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn.

Lovington police and EMS were called to the home at 12:24 a.m. on July 9 and attempted life-saving measures on the unresponsive young woman, KCBD reported. She was later pronounced dead at the hospital. 

While initial evidence showed signs of electrocution, no cause of death has been established, according to Lovington police. 

Police said Tuesday that Coe died while visiting her father, The Associated Press reported. A cellphone, charging cord and extension cord were found by the bathtub, Detective Sgt. David Miranda said.

Coe's family believes the terrible accident is something that could happen to anyone.

"This is such a tragedy -- that doesn't need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging," O'Guinn said.

KCBD reported Coe was involved both with athletics and the arts, playing on the basketball team while also holding down the number one chair with her tuba in the Terra Vista Middle School band.

A memorial service for Coe will be held Saturday, July 15 at 2 p.m. at Kings Ridge Church of Christ in Lubbock.

Investigators were awaiting an autopsy report. 

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Top Stolen Vehicles in Connecticut and Nationwide


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Manchester Woman Has Been Missing for Nearly a Week


Manchester police are asking for help to find a local woman who has been missing for almost a week. 

Philomena Palestini, 34, has been missing since Thursday, July 6, according to police. They said she was reported to have been headed to Hartford but never arrived at the destination. 

She was last seen wearing a gray tank top, black leggings and pink and black sneakers. 

Palestini is around 5-feet-4. weighs around 190 pounds and has brown hair and brown eyes. 

Anyone with information should call Manchester Police at 860-645-5500.

Photo Credit: Manchester Police

Gymboree, Crazy 8 and Janie and Jack Stores in CT Closing


Gymboree, the company best known for the children’s clothing store Gymboree, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and will be closing several stores, including four Gymboree stores, four Crazy 8 stores and one Janie and Jack store in Connecticut.

The Gymboree company has been around 1976 and has more than 1,300 stores in North America.

Following are the stores in Connecticut that are closing.

Gymboree: See the full list of stores online to see the stores closest to you.

  • Gymboree, Shoppes at Buckland Hills at 194 Buckland Hills Drive in Manchester. Phone: 860-648-0146
  • Gymboree, Meriden Square Mall at 470 Lewis Ave. in Meriden. Phone: 203-238-1900
  • Gymboree, Connecticut Post Mall at 1201 Boston Post Road in Milford. Phone: 203-877-4286
  • Gymboree, Crystal Mall at 850 Hartford Turnpike in Waterford. Phone: 860-437-8221

Crazy 8:  See the full list of stores online to see the stores closest to you.

  • Crazy 8, Brass Mill Center at 495 Union Street in Waterbury. Phone: 203-759-0797
  • Crazy 8, Crystal Mall at 850 Hartford Turnpike in Waterford. Phone 860-437-3152
  • Crazy 8, Tanger Outlets Westbrook at 314 Flat Rock Place in Westbrook. Phone: 860-399-6035
  • Crazy 8, Meriden Square at 470 Lewis Ave. in Meriden. Phone: 203-235-0520

Janie and JackSee the full list of stores online to see the stores closest to you.

  • Janie and Jack, 107 Greenwich Ave. in Greenwich. Phone: 203-422-5080

Learn more about the store closings here.

Fire Breaks Out at Storage Facility in Wallingford


Firefighters are investigating a fire overnight at a storage facility on North Plains Industrial Road in Wallingford.

Fire officials said the fire started around 1 a.m. in one storage unit and spread to several others.

No injuries are reported. It’s not clear what started the fire.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Southington Meeting to Address Reviving Middle School Sports


A month after the Southington Board of Education voted to eliminate middle school sports, a special committee will gather to try and revive the programs. 

The meeting is at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Municipal Center in Southington. 

The board of education reluctantly made the decision on June 16 as members were forced to trim $1 million from the budget. Members voted to eliminate sports and leave 14 positions vacant.  

At the time of that vote, members vowed to create a special committee. It would be made up of parents and staff members who would work to find ways to keep middle school sports going, possibly through a pay-for-play program or fundraising. 

Community members NBC Connecticut spoke with hope the board can reinstate the programs. 

“Sports is certainly something that most middle school students really enjoy and need. It’s not really an extra. It’s really an integral part of the curriculum,” said Deb Thibault, a Southington resident and retired middle school teacher at another district in the state. 

“I know other schools have done that and people do do it, but it does decrease the opportunity for a lot of people because they may not be able to afford it” Southington resident Aericka Khongdy said in reference to a pay-for-play program. 

Khongdy is disappointed by the board’s decision to eliminate sports as her son was looking forward to participating this year. 

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Sandy Hook Man Killed in Boat Crash on Lake Zoar: Officials


A 52-year old Sandy Hook man is dead after a boat crash on Lake Zoar Tuesday night, according to the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

Randall Pineau, of Sandy Hook, was operating a pontoon boat on the lake near the Mohawk Trail in Sandy Hook when a ski boat hit his vessel around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to DEEP.

Pineau was taken to Danbury Hospital, where he was pronounced dead by the Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps, according to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Environmental Conservation Police.

Officials said four people were on the pontoon boat and two were on the ski boat when the crash happened. Pineau’s wife suffered minor injuries and was also transported to that hospital. She was treated and released.

One other person suffered minor injuries and refused treatment at the scene.

The ENCON Boating Accident Reconstruction Unit is investigating.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

King Cobras and Geckos Seized at JFK Airport


Nearly a half a dozen king cobras and a handful of geckos were seized by border agents at Kennedy Airport, authorities said.

The reptiles were detected by Customs and Border Protection officers scanning an express mail package from Hong Kong late last month.

The contents of the package were described as a “plastic tray,” but an x-ray revealed the slithering outlines of snakes.

The officers contacted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to examine the package further.

The FWS officers opened the container and found a Styrofoam casing with rows of holes. The parcel was filled with five juvenile king cobras and three geckos.

The animals were all alive, and the package was turned over to the FWS for further investigation, authorities said.

Photo Credit: U.S. Customs
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Serious Crash Closed Post Road East in Westport


Police are investigating a serious crash in Westport that closed Post Road East Wednesday.

Police said officers responded to a crash at the intersection of Post Road East and Westfair Drive around 11:30 a.m.

Post Road East was closed between the intersections of Maple Avenue and Bulkley Avenue but has reopened.

Woman Admits to Robbing 3 Banks: Officials


A 29-year-old West Haven woman has pleaded guilty to three bank robberies in Connecticut, according to the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut.

Courtney Worthington was charged with robberies at TD Bank at 636 Campbell Ave. in West Haven on Dec. 19, 2016; the Peoples Bank at 198 Amity St. in Woodbridge on Jan. 2; and the TD Bank at 184 Route 81 in Killingworth on Jan. 5. During each robbery, Worthington handed the teller a note containing threats and demanding money, according to federal officials.

State police found Worthington at the Quality Inn in East Haven on Jan. 5, where they took her into custody.

Worthington will be sentenced on Oct. 11.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Teen Stole Vehicle, Rode Along Train Tracks in Ansonia: PD


Ansonia police have arrested a 15-year-old boy accused of stealing a city vehicle and taking it for a ride along Metro-North railroad tracks.

Police said a Saturn Vue, owned by the city and used by the city’s blight officer, was parked on Fourth Street with its keys in the ignition when it was stolen around 9:40 a.m.

According to police, the suspect, who was not identified due to his age, drove the SUV down North Main Street toward East Main Street, when drove up a flood wall behind Valley Electric and continued onto Metro-North train tracks in the area. The suspect nearly hit a Metro-North crew working on the tracks before abandoning the vehicle on the tracks and fleeing on foot, police said.

Metro-North service was delayed between Stratford and Waterbury during this time.

Police eventually tracked the suspect down with help from officers from Derby, Seymour and MTA police.

The suspect was charged with third-degree larceny, engaging in pursuit, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, criminal trespass, and interfering with an officer. He was taken to a juvenile detention center.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Hartford Man Accused of Threatening Judge


A 62-year-old Hartford man is accused of threatening the judge presiding over his case.

Dusan Mladen, also known as David Mladen, 62, of Hartford, was arrested yesterday and charged with threatening a federal official, according to the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut.

Officials said Mladen is a party in a proceeding pending before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

He previously owned Eternal Enterprise, Inc., the owner of eight apartment buildings in Hartford, and has continued to be active in the management and decision making for the company, according to federal officials. 

Last Wednesday, the judge presiding over the Eternal Enterprise case found a handwritten note in the mailbox at her home and it said “BACK OFF,” “YOU ARE OVERSTEPPING AUTHORITY” and “JUST WARNING FOR NOW,” according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. 

Then, on Monday, the judge received a phone call at her home and the caller said he had gone to the judge’s house last week and “I left a message for you,” officials said. 

He then said that he wanted her to file an order “extending the deadline to September 30,” and “then maybe everything will be OK,” federal officials said. 

The caller refused to identify himself, but the judge recognized the voice as Mladen’s, officials said.

The U.S. marshal service then determined that the cell phone the call was placed from was in the vicinity of Mladen’s residence, officials said. 

Deputy marshals spoke with Mladen at his home on Tuesday and federal officials said he was arrested after making additional threatening statements about the judge. 

A detention hearing is scheduled for July 13.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live