Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Second Alleged Victim Describes Filner Incident


A second alleged victim has come forward claiming San Diego Mayor Bob Filner acted inappropriately toward her at a public event.

Laura Fink, a political consultant, told KPBS Monday that Filner grabbed her backside at a fundraising dinner she was working at after a colleague said she had “worked her ass off” for Filner.

After allegedly touching her posterior, he then allegedly said, “No, it’s still there!”

Fink later emailed Filner and demanded an apology, according to a document provided to KPBS. Fink said that apology never came.

She also told KPBS the reason she did not come forward sooner was that she “was trying to build a career in the political field … and Bob Filner has a reputation for swift retribution and for holding grudges.”

Special Section: Mayor Under Fire

Filner has been accused of sexually harassing multiple women. Two have publicly come forward since the claims were made earlier this month.

On Monday, one of Filner’s former staffers Irene McCormack Jackson claimed that Filner told her to “work without panties” and detailed other alleged acts of sexual harassment. Jackson called her experience working for the mayor “the worst time of my entire working life.”

McCormack has filed a lawsuit with prominent lawyer Gloria Allred.

Filner responded to the allegations with a statement, saying in part: “I am saddened by the charges that were leveled against me today. Once due process is allowed to unfold, I am certain there will be a better understanding of this situation.”

Read the full statement here

After being accused of sexually harassing employees, Filner released a videotaped statement admitting he needs help, but he has yet to respond directly to specific allegations.

Timeline: Bob Filner’s Term as Mayor

Since the accusations surfaced, Filner has been a no-show at many public events and has refused to respond to media questions.

U.S. Postal Service Threatens to End Door-to-Door Delivery


Door-to-door postal delivery could be soon coming to an end.

To trim nearly $4.5 billion a year for the cash-strapped agency, Congressman Darrell Issa of California is proposing that the U.S. Postal Service do away with door-to-door delivery and shift service to curbside and neighborhood cluster boxes.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will vote on the measure Wednesday, which could affect about 37 million residences and businesses.

The U.S. Postal Service lost about $16 billion last year and spends about $30 billion annually on mail delivery. The federal service does not receive any money from the federal government and relies mainly on postage sales, delivery services and other products.

Mail services has dropped nearly 25% since 2006.

Unions have said the proposal is a bad idea, especially since it would impact the elderly and disabled.

The postal service proposed ending Saturday service earlier this year -- a decision that it later reversed.  

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Gallagher Slaying Suspect May Have Had Accomplice


Police believe the 17-year-old man suspected in the death of a 6-year-old Saginaw, Texas, girl may have had at least one accomplice, NBC DFW has learned.

Tyler Holder, 17, is hospitalized after allegedly shooting an Arlington police officer when law enforcement attempted to serve arrest and search warrants at his home Tuesday morning.

Holder is suspected in the death of Alanna Gallagher, whose body was found on a residential street in the North Texas community of Saginaw on July 1.

Law enforcement sources say investigators are actively looking for a possible second person in connection with the case. Surveillance video shows that Holder's pickup truck never left his house the day Gallagher disappeared.

Holder lives a couple of houses away from the Gallagher home. Her body, wrapped in a tarp, was found in a residential street about a mile from her home.

According to the arrest warrant for Holder, DNA evidence links him to Gallagher's slaying.

Suspect Opens Fire on Police

Holder came to the front door with a gun in his waistband, pulled it out and opened fire at the officers on Tuesday morning, a law enforcement source said.

Arlington police Detective Charles Lodatto, who was assignment with the FBI task force investigating Gallagher's slaying, was shot in the groin. The bullet divided his femoral artery, doctors said later Tuesday.

Holder was shot in the head and his condition is life-threatening, MedStar EMS confirmed. He was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

NBC DFW has learned that the bullet may have gone through his chin and missed his brain and that Holder could recover.

DNA Evidence Links Holder to Slaying

The arrest warrant issued for Holder outlines the events that lead up to the killing of the 6-year-old and includes graphic details of her death.

Gallagher was found wrapped in a tarp with plastic grocery sacks taped over her head with duct tape. The warrant also states the 6-year-old was sexually assaulted.

NBC DFW is not revealing further details about the assault because of its graphic nature.

According to the warrant, Holder was seen pacing "up and down the sidewalk" when Gallagher's body was found.

Neighbors in the area told officers that Holder told them the body recovered was Gallagher before the victim had been identified.

Another neighbor also told officers she had seen a gray tarp in the back yard of Holder's home two to three months ago. At that time, officers didn't see the tarp in the back yard. Officers later determined that the tarp the neighbor spotted in the back yard was similar to the tarp in which Gallagher was wrapped.

Investigators first interviewed Holder on July 1, the day Gallagher was killed. The FBI then interviewed him on July 5 and agreed to provide a DNA sample. On Saturday, Holder's DNA sample matched DNA found on the victim.

The arrest warrant was issued Tuesday.

NBC DFW's Scott Gordon contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News/Arlington Police

Belichick: "Personally Disappointed and Hurt"


New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick publicly addressed the arrest of former Patriot Aaron Hernandez for the first time on Wednesday and said he was "shocked" and "dissapointed" by what he learned in this case.

Hernandez was arrested last month and has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old Boston semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 in an industrial park in North Attleboro near Hernandez's home. He had been shot five times.

The team released Hernandez on the same day he was arrested and later held a jersey swap event for people to turn in their Hernandez jerseys and exchange them for another shirt.

Patriots owner Bob Kraft said he was duped, but the team has not said much about the arrest.

Belichick said he was advised to address the issue once, so he is not expected to comment further on the ongoing case.

Belichick said he was out of the country when he learned that Hernandez was under investigation. After consulting with team ownership, the team acted "swiftly and decisively," Belichick said.

“This case involved an individual who happened to be a New England Patriot … This does not in any way reflect the way the New England Patriots want to do things,” Belichick said.

“I am personally disappointed and hurt in a situation like this,” he added.

Belichick went into a little detail on what the team evaluates before signing a player onto the roster, and that includes looking into the player's history, including his family, where he grew up, his high school and college experience, maurity, intelligence and more.

Belichick’s news conference happened the day after Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady spoke with Peter King, of MMQB, and answered a question about the arrest of Hernandez.

“(M)ental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what’s in the best interest of the team matters most,” Brady said, in part.

He went on to say that he is focusing on “the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games.” You can read the rest of Brady’s comments on MMQB.

You can watch the news conference live online here.

The news conference happens around the same time Hernandez is expected in a Massachusetts courtroom for a probable cause hearing.

Tech Mogul Fights Raccoon That Attacked Dog


The San Francisco founder of tech company Digg was forced to rescue his dog from a violent raccoon--and it is all caught on camera.

Tech mogul Kevin Rose tossed a raccoon down the stairs to defend his dog, “Toaster.”

The YouTube video is attracting all kinds of attention for the founder of Digg.

Rose says he woke up in the middle of the night Saturday to find a raccoon attacking his dog outside of his San Francisco home.
Rose broke up the attack, scooped the dog up to safety, and then hurled the raccoon down a flight of stairs.

His labradoodle is OK except for a few claw and bite marks.

Rose says, he doesn't encourage animal violence, but he felt like he had to step in to save his dog.

The 45-second YouTube clip has more than 6 million views, so far.


Photo Credit: YouTube

McDonnell: No Thought to Resigning


Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell says he has given no thought to resigning in the wake of a federal investigation into gifts and loans a wealthy political donor has given the governor and his family.

"I'm not going anywhere. I love this job ... there has been no consideration of that," McDonnell told News4 Northern Virginia Bureau Chief Julie Carey in a satellite interview from Kabul, Afghanistan, where he has traveled to visit Virginia troops.

Yesterday, McDonnell issued a written statement apologizing for the first time for "embarrassment" he or his family might have caused Virginia.

The statement read, "I want you to know that I broke no laws and that I am committed to regaining your sacred trust and confidence."

McDonnell also reported he and his family had repaid more than $120,000 in loans to political donor and Star Scientific CEO Jonnie Williams. The Washington Post has reported in recent months that Williams also paid $15,000 for one of McDonnell's daughter's wedding receptions, provided a $15,000 shopping spree for First Lady Maureen McDonnell and also got the Governor a $6,500 Rolex watch.

The gifts came at a time when Williams was trying to get attention for a new nutritional supplement produced by his company.

When News4 asked the Governor if he also intends to repay Williams for the gifts, he did not directly answer the question, but replied, "I've said a lot about that already. There will be plenty more to say.

"I've always believed if you do a good job that all those other things will take care of themselves. For a long time the people of Virginia have trusted me to lead and do well and that's why we've been able to solve so many problems together," he said.

But, McDonnell conceded, as he did in his earlier written statement, that he's let Virginians down.

"To the degree that some of the choices I might have made in my personal life, or my family might have made with some of those gifts, if its undermined people's sacred trust in me or government I want to make it right."

Here are some of the excerpts of his interview with News4's Julie Carey.

Carey: "What wrongdoing, specifically, were you apologizing for?"

McDonnell: "I think because there were several gifts and loans and it all came from one donor there was at least in the view of the public, an appearance of impropriety.

"I've served the people of Virginia for 22 years now, and I'm deeply sorry those things that have been done by me or my family have created a problem for Virginia's government and have caused some embarrassment. So I thought it was the right thing to do to make those loan payments back and begin to heal the trust that might have been broken between me and the people.

"So that's a step, and we are doing to do some other things in the future, but mainly I'm going to do what I've done in the past and that's get big things done. I've got 5 1/2 months left to do that and I"m that's what I'm going to focus on."

Carey: "Why did you decide now to repay the loans, and what do you hope it convey?"

McDonnell: "As you know, we've had a complete audit done of state government, and there have been no contracts or monies from the state or appointments or anything else that's gone to this donor.

"What I'm trying to demonstrate to people is what I've said from the beginning. My top role as governor, as you know, has been to promote Virginia business, to create job and opportunities. And we do it the same way for every business, regardless of what their status might be.

"And so I wanted people to know that, that Virginia government is working well, that we've continuing to focus on the things Virginians care about. We have a big surplus. We're working on transportation and education reforms, and I'm going to continue in this five months to be laser-focused on getting big things done.

"But I thought it was appropriate to look to the degree some of the choices I might have made in my personal life, or my family might have made with some of those gifts. If it undermined people's sacred trust in me or government, I wanted to make it right and that's what I was hoping to signal yesterday and let people know I continue to focus on the things that they care about."

Carey: "What consideration have you given to resignation?"

McDonnell: "None, I'm not going anywhere. I love this job.

"I think there were a couple of very bad rumors about that. I have been able to get some major problems solved for our citizens. Virginia is in better shape that most states. Democrats and Republicans are working together well in our state. I've tried to create that climate for bipartisan cooperation.

"I think that's what people appreciate and expect out of government, and that's what we're are going to try to do in these last five months, so there's been no consideration of that."

NYPD Makes New Push to Find 1991 "Baby Hope" Killer


Police are making a renewed push to find the killer of a toddler dubbed "Baby Hope," whose body was found inside a cooler dumped in a wooded area in Manhattan 22 years ago Tuesday.
Authorities are circulating new posters and an NYPD Crime Stoppers van is in Washington Heights, publicizing the $12,000 reward and and asking for anyone with information to call 1-800-577-TIPS.
The child, who was never identified, was believed to be 3 to 5 years old, and was found by construction workers on July 23, 1991, along the Henry Hudson Parkway and Dyckman Street.
She was never reported missing by family, and reports at the time said she had been starved and sexually abused. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System database lists her as weighing 25 pounds and being 3 feet, 2 inches tall.
She was bound and her hair was in a ponytail with a yellow elastic.
Police say the cooler could have been placed there anytime between July 13 and July 22. 

More New York-Area Stories:

Fire Destroys Home in Somers


Heavy fire destroyed the house on Bilton Road in Somers this morning.

It broke out at 12:45 a.m.

The fire was so heavy that flames were coming out of every window and firefighters had to deal with downed wires and a nearby propane tank that threatened to strengthen the fire.

The fire is out and did not spread to any other houses, but a 65-year-old man is homeless.

He was not injured, according to officials.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

West Haven Approves Medical Marijuana Growing Facility


West Haven could become the first city in the state to approve a marijuana growing facility.

Last night, the zoning and planning commission approved Fairfield-based Advanced Grow Labs’ application to use a building at 400 Frontage Road to grow medical marijuana.

The commission tabled the proposal during a meeting two weeks ago for further thought after some community members spoke out against it.

Advanced Grow Labs must still get approval from Connecticut regulators.

“Having a young child, I'm really not for it. I don't care how much security you have,” Catherine Edwards, of West Haven, said.

Last year, Gov. Dannel Malloy signed the law to allow licensed physicians to prescribe medicinal marijuana for adults suffering from certain debilitating diseases or medical condition. 

“This is a big step for the residents of Connecticut in getting medicine that they need and this is just one step in the process for the state,” David Lipton, of Advance Grow Labs, said.

Officials from Advanced Grow Labs said they'll have around 15 employees and at least two people in the building at all times when it's open for security reasons.

Medical marijuana facilities have also been proposed in Watertown and Middletown.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Robber Hid in West Haven Kohls’: Police


A man hid in the Kohl's department on East Main Street in West Haven on Saturday and demanded cash from the registers after the store closed, police said.

According to Acting Deputy Police Chief Christopher Corbett, the robbery happened around 11 p.m. when a man with a semi-automatic handgun demanded cash from the registers at the 3776 East Main St. store.

The man fled and employees called police at 11:16 p.m., police said.

The robber is described as 5-feet-10 inches tall and thin. He was wearing a black scarf over his face and baseball cap.

Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 203-755-1234.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

330-Pound Turtle Being FedExed From The Keys to Las Vegas


A 330-pound green sea turtle is being FedExed from the Florida Keys to Las Vegas, the Florida Keys News Bureau said Wednesday.

The turtle, named OD for the dive boat that rescued it off Key Largo in 2008, will be heading to The Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, where it is expected to “retire.”

Sea Turtle Hospital Expected to Open in Florida

OD is believed to be about 50 years old, but cannot be released back to the wild because it is missing one of its two lungs.

Although the turtle has been cared for at the Florida Keys-based Turtle Hospital for almost five years, hospital officials had been trying to find the turtle a more comfortable home.

SeaWorld Releases 3 Rehabilitated Turtles

OD will soon be in a new 1.3-million-gallon aquarium in Las Vegas, where it will live with other cared-for marine animals including sea turtles.

The turtle is being placed in a transition pool and has to undergo a medical examination to ensure it is fit to travel.

More Local Stories:


Photo Credit: Flickr/MotleyPixel

Adventure Sports, Fine Dining Planned for Powder Ridge


There are some big changes coming to Powder Ridge in Middlefield, and Chef Kevin Cottel, of “Hell’s Kitchen” fame, is joining the organization to offer fine dining.

Shawn Hayes, CEO of Powder Ridge, said they are redefining what a ski resort is locally and the local destination will be an adventure sports resort.

“We’re not reopening Powder Ridge as another local ski area. We’re trying to do it as a true adventure sports resort,” Hayes said.

Cottle is going to be the executive chef of Fire at the Ridge and offer fine dining in the lodge.

There will also be casual dining and shopping at Powder Ridge.

“It’s sports shopping  for skiing, biking, etc., but also Christmas shopping, so it’s a destination  for all of the family,” Hayes said.

The owners are also behind Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park in Portland. “So you’re going to have adventure sports year-round,” Hayes said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Erin Brady to Compete for Miss Universe


Erin Brady won Miss Connecticut, won Miss U.S.A. and is going on to the Miss Universe contest.

Cyclospora Outbreak Includes Connecticut


More than 250 cases of Cyclospora infection have been reported in the United States since July 22, including at least one case in Connecticut.

Cyclosporiasis is an intestinal illness and the CDC is working with public health officials and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to investigate an outbreak.

The outbreak affects eight states and the CDC posted a map that shows one case in Connecticut as of 5 p.m. on July 22, but the data is subject to change.

People can become infected with Cyclospora by eating food or drinking contaminated with the parasite and people living or traveling in countries where cyclosporiasis is endemic might be at increased risk for infection, according to the CDC.

"It's a very small parasite, it's only one cell," Dr. Louise Dembry, of Yale-New Haven Hospital, said. "It infects the small intestines."

Doctors said some of the symptoms include diarrhea, cramps and nausea. In some cases, the symptoms can last for more than one week.

"The treatment is a common antibiotic and that’s the one we use for Cyclospora," Dembry said.

Health officials think the outbreak comes from ingesting fruit or vegetables contaminated with the parasite.

"Cyclospora is generally something that’s found in tropical and sub-tropical countries, so we see it sometimes in returning travelers who might have eaten contaminated foods or water,” Dembry said.

There have been more than 125 cases in Iowa and more than 60 each in Nebraska and Texas. There are also cases in Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas and Georgia.
“When we have cases in the U.S., I understand  the first two cases they found were in Iowa, that's why they're looking into whether there was a contaminated food that was imported into this country."

To avoid the illness, clean your fruits and vegetables.

"It should be what we always do so rinse off your fruits and vegetables and be aware of things imported from different countries, they need to be cleaned," Dembry said.


Photo Credit: Jeremy Carroll

Crash Closes Main Street in Old Saybrook


A car crashed into a utility pole on Main Street in Old Saybrook Wednesday afternoon.

The crash happened near Shepard Street, according to the Old Saybrook Fire Department. A photo posted on the Old Saybrook Fire Department's Facebook page showed the car split the pole in half and came to rest with its front wheels suspended in the air.

No one was seriously injured, fire officials said.

Main Street, which is also known as Route 154, may be closed for as long as 8 hours while the utility pole is repaired, according to the Department of Transportation.

Photo Credit: Old Saybrook Fire Dept.

Dog Attacked by SJ Homeless Man With Hand Saw: Cops


People in the South Bay are hoping an injured pit bull gets the medical care it needs after a bizarre attack at St. James Park.

Police say the dog, named "Chica," is in need of several stitches after a homeless man used a handsaw to hurt the dog over the weekend.

The attack happened Sunday. Animal Control said a man got off a bus near the park and began having an agitated conversation with the dog's owner.

Witnesses say the man tried to attack the owner and the dog stepped in to protect her. In the chaos, the pit bull bit the homeless man, who then used the saw on the dog, leaving two deep gashes on her head.

"He was provoking this reaction. It’d be one thing if you were sitting on a bench and got attacked, but that wasn’t this scenario,  He was clearly acting in a provoking manner," Jon Cicirelli said.

A group of men who saw the attack kicked and punched the homeless man and restrained him until police could get to the scene.

The dog is expected to be OK, but police say no one has the money to pay the $600 for the dog's stitches.

San Jose Animal Care is working with the police investigation and hope that the suspect will face an animal cruelty charge.Those charges may be delayed because the suspect was also in need of medical care.

Anyone who wants to help pay for Chica's medical care can make out a check to the San Jose Animal Care Center. Be sure to write "Chica" in the memo line.

Checks may be mailed to:

San Jose Animal Care Center
2750 Monterey Rd.
San Jose, CA  95111

Or go to SanJoseAnimals.com and click "Donations." Again, be sure to mention "Chica."

Photo Credit: Kris Sanchez

Boy Who Fell in Sand Dune Released From Hospital


Nathan Woessner has been released from the hospital less than two weeks after he fell into a sinkhole and became trapped for hours at the Indiana Dunes.

The 6-year-old boy was discharged from the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital and moved to a rehabilitation facility late Tuesday afternoon, doctors said.

"He will continue to receive rehabilitative therapy elsewhere for several days," hospital spokesman John Easton said.

Woessner's condition was upgraded earlier this week and transferred from the intensive care unit to a general pediatric medicine unit.

“He is eating well, is active and continues to improve," Dr. Barrett Fromme said Tuesday. "The staples used to close a laceration on the back of his head will be removed today."

Woessner's parents told NBC's "Today" show this week their son has been getting up, moving around and even made a trip down the hall at Comer Children's Hospital on Sunday.

On July 12, Woesnner fell into a sink hole at Mt. Baldy in Michigan City, Ind. His grandfather said Woesnner fell into the sink hole around 4 p.m. while walking with his dad, an adult friend of the family and another boy. 

Last Week Woessner was upgraded to serious condition after being told by doctors he may be able to leave the hospital after 10-14 days.

The Mount Baldy area at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore will remain closed indefinitely following the accident.


Photo Credit: Tom Papandria, UChicago Medicine

Bristol Search Warrants in Hernandez Case Released


Newly unsealed warrants in the murder case against Aaron Hernandez reveal more information on what led police to search two residences and a vehicle in Bristol, Connecticut as part of the investigation.

Police in Massachusetts began investigating on June 17, when the body of Odin Lloyd was found in a secluded area of North Attleboro, not far from Hernandez's home. Lloyd's family told investigators that hernandez was the only person who he knew in North Attleboro.  

Massachusetts reached out to police in Bristol, Connecticut, when they learned that it was Hernandez’s hometown, according to court documents.

Massachusetts authorities had identified Ernest Wallace, 41, and Carlos Ortiz, 27, as suspects in the case and learned that both men were known to Bristol Police detectives and that Ortiz was on active probation.

Ortiz was scheduled to meet with his probation officer in Connecticut on June 25, so authorities went to interview him. Massachusetts police also asked local authorities to be on the lookout for a 2013 Chrysler 300 that Hernandez had given the men, according to police.

It was during that interview that Ortiz told police that he was friends with Hernandez and Wallace, according to court records, and gave his account of what happened in the hours before and hours after Odin Lloyd, of Boston was found dead.

Ortiz told police that he and Wallace live at 114 lake Street and that they were home on June 16 when Wallace communicated with Hernandez to make plans for the three of them to visit Hernandez’s home at 22 Ronald C. Meyer Drive in North Attleboro according to police.

Ortiz told police that he and Wallace made the drive that night.

They arrived just after midnight on June 17, according to court documents, and Hernandez and his girlfriend were out, so a babysitter let them in.

Ortiz told police he saw both a small handgun and a large one in the house and that Hernandez was carrying one when he arrived home.  

At 1:09 a.m. on June 17, the three men left the house in a Nissan Altima. Surveillance video shows the car stopping at the Blue Hills Service Station in Canton and Hernandez and Ortiz going into the store, according to court documents. 

They continued up to Boston, picked Lloyd up at his house and began driving back to North Attleboro, according to court records.

Otiz told police that he overheard Hernandez say to Lloyd that Lloyd was “chilling” with people that Hernandez had problems with. They two men shook hands and “it” was squashed, Ortiz told investigators.

During the ride back to North Attleboro, Ortiz fell asleep, he said. When he woke up, the car was stopped and Hernandez, Wallace and Lloyd got out of the car to urinate.

He said he heard gunshots and Hernandez and Wallace got back into the car without Lloyd. Ortiz told investigators he could not make out who fired the shots because it was dark.

Minutes later, they returned to Hernandez’s house.

Ortiz said Hernandez asked him to get the small gun from under the back seat of the car, which he did, and he gave it to Hernandez in the house, records state.

Ortiz said he then went to sleep.

When he woke in the afternoon, the three men went to Enterprise Rental in North Attleboro, returned the Nissan Altima and picked up a 2012 Chrysler 300.

Ortiz and Wallace dropped Hernandez of at his house and drive in the Chrysler to an apartment nearby that Hernandez and other football players use, Ortiz told police. Wallace drove off, but Ortiz stayed until Wallace returned a long while later, then they returned to 114 Lake St. in the Chrysler, Ortiz said. 

Ortiz also told police that Wallace said Hernandez admitted to shooting Lloyd and that Ortiz remained at Lake Avenue, but Wallace left in the Chrysler. 

Around 11 p.m. on June 27, a resident of an apartment complex on Blakeslee Street in Bristol called police about a car parked near the pool and police verified that was the vehicle they were looking for in connection with the murder.

When police searched the Lake Avenue home, they took clothing, a bill in Wallace’s name, a Department of Correction intake sheet and in in Wallace’s name, documents from probation offices,a prison ID card for Ortiz, a gun box and ammunition.

They also searched Ortiz’s other home on Federal Street and the Chrysler 300.


Photo Credit: AP

Bush Sr. Shaves His Head for Cancer Patient


No, former President George H.W. Bush has not lost all his hair — he shaved it, for a good cause.

The elder Bush cut his hair to show support for Patrick, the 2-year-old son of one of his Secret Service agents. Patrick is being treated for leukemia and started losing his hair.

Many of Bush's security team members went bald in support for the toddler, too, and Bush decided to join in solidarity.

Bush, 89, and his wife, Barbara, have also helped Patrick in the past. They donated to Patrick's Pals, a fund designed to assist with Patrick's medical bills. The Bushes lost their second child, Robin, to cancer almost 60 years ago.

Photo Credit: Office of George Bush

Ex-Marine Indicted in Chris Kyle Slaying


A grand jury in North Texas has indicted the man accused of killing former Navy SEAL and "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle and another man on two charges of capital murder.

Eddie Routh, a former Marine, was arrested in the slayings of Kyle and Chad Littlefield in February.

A judge has issued a gag order in the case.

The Feb. 2 shootings at a gun range in rural North Texas were national news.

The memorial service for war hero Kyle was so big that it was held at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. His funeral procession to Austin drew thousands.

The case against Routh, who reportedly had been seeking treatment for post-combat stress, seems strong. Police said he confessed to his sister and he was arrested driving Kyle's pickup after a chase in Lancaster, a Dallas suburb.

Routh had sought treatment at the Veterans Administration for his stress, and friends said Kyle was trying to counsel him when Routh turned on him.

His mental health is expected to be a key issue in his case.

Routh has been held in the Erath County Jail on a $3 million bond.

In Midlothian, where Kyle and Littlefield lived, people were grateful Routh had been formally charged.

"I'd rather it be delayed and done right than rushed and have any kind of loopholes where he could go free," said Dennis Deweerd, owner of Ellis County BBQ restaurant.

"It's a great thing," added Kelly Goad. "Midlothian is happy."

NBC DFW's Scott Gordon and Lindsay Wilcox contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Erath County Sheriff's Office
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live