Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Military Dad Surprises Kids at High School Football Game

Video Shows Inside Fla. Nursing Home Where 8 Died


A new cellphone video has surfaced showing conditions inside the Hollywood Hills nursing home where residents — including one in the nude — were kept in sweltering heat before eight of them died after Hurricane Irma struck Florida.

A woman went to check on her parents at about 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills and shot a 34-second video of a fan running in their room with a window cracked on the second floor. They were in bed in their shared room wearing patient gowns.

By then, the main air conditioning system had been down for 53 hours, and within four hours the first of eight residents had died.

Her father, 89-year-old Gabriel Giraldo, has dementia and was found the next morning with a 102-degree fever, dehydrated and unconscious. He was taken to the hospital and remained there Friday. The mother, Libia, who also suffers from dementia, was in another nursing facility and doing better.

The woman with the camera then goes out into the hallway, where a naked woman who appears to be sleeping or unconscious is slouched on a gurney. NBC 6 is working to identify the woman and check on her condition.

There is also a spot cooler, one of eight the state says was brought into the building as temperatures soared.

Workers at the facility said Hurricane Irma caused the air conditioning to fail Sunday and they struggled to keep residents cool with fans, cold towels and ice.

Three residents died in the facility and five more perished at the hospital or on the way. All residents have since been evacuated.

The woman who shot the video sent it to her sister, Carmen Veroy.

"I wasn't there, because I swear to God if I was there I can call the police and scream," Veroy told NBC6.

Gov. Rick Scott's office released a statement Friday, saying the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills had not reported that conditions at its facility had become dangerous for patients.

"At no time did the facility report that conditions had become dangerous or that the health and safety of their patients was at risk," the statement says. "In fact, on Monday, September 11, Department of Health staff advised this facility to call 911 if they had any reason to believe that their patients were not safe."

Scott announced the night before that he has directed the Agency for Health Care Administration to terminate the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills as a Medicaid provider. The program provides health care for low-income individuals and families.

Police have opened a criminal investigation.

Lawyers for the family of one of the victims are suing the facility, seeking the release of records in hopes of shedding light on what took place Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Giraldo family

Pedestrian Killed in Hit-and-Run in Norwalk


Police are investigating the hit-and-run that killed a pedestrian in Norwalk Friday night.

Police officers responded to Martin Luther King Drive and Lowe Street at 9:14 p.m. and found a male pedestrian lying in the street with life-threatening injuries. The pedestrian was transported to the Norwalk Hospital, where he died from the injuries, police said.

The vehicle that hit him was gone from the scene, according to police, but officers later found the vehicle on Ely Avenue that they believe hit the victim.

Anyone who witnessed the accident or has any information should call Officer Wasilewski at 203-854-3035. You can leave an anonymous tip on the Norwalk Police Tip Line at 203-854-3111 or leave one through the Norwalk Police website at: www.norwalkpd.com.

You can submit anonymous text tips can be submitted by typing "NPD" into the text field, followed by the message, and sending it to CRIMES (274637)

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Release Video Following Teen's Hotel Freezer Death


Police released surveillance video Friday from a Rosemont hotel where a Chicago teen was found dead in a freezer over the weekend. 

Also released were police dispatch audio files--including the apparent moment an officer found 19-year-old Kenneka Jenkins' body in the freezer--as well as the allegation that the room the party she was attending had been rented with a fraudulent credit card.

The nearly 36 hours of footage shows Jenkins on the night of her death at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. 

One of the videos shows Jenkins walking through a restricted kitchen area at the hotel and not returning. In others, Jenkins can be seen walking down hallways and with a group of people in a food court at the facility. 

The release of the video follows conflicting comments from the family and a community activist surrounding what is seen in the footage. 

The family of the 19-year-old said the "snippets of video" they have been provided do not show the teen walking into the freezer.

"The family has not been provided any video or other evidence of Kenneka Jenkins walking into a freezer," a statement from Jenkins' family read. "Serious questions remain as to how she ended up in a Crowne Plaza Hotel freezer and why it took a day and a half for the hotel to find Kenneka. Her death requires a thorough complete and independent investigation."

While police said the family has received all surveillance footage from the hotel, the family's attorney Larry Rogers said they received 30 to 40 minutes of footage and "none of that video shows Kenneka Jenkins walking into a freezer."

"We know she was there, but to today’s date we haven’t received it," Rogers said. "No one from Crowne Plaza Hotel responds to her or is seeking to provide assistance to her. For over a day, she was somehow down in this freezer and they have not explained how someone got into an area that was apparently not being utilized, and a freezer that was apparently on and not functioning.”

But Andrew Holmes, a seasoned spokesman for victims of violence and prominent community advocate, said police showed him the hotel security footage and it showed the teen walking into a freezer alone before she was found dead inside nearly a day later.

Police have not confirmed that Holmes did in fact see the videos, but authorities noted the family of Jenkins has been given the videos along with the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. They will be given time to review the videos before they are released to the public, police said.

Jenkins' family said that Holmes is not a spokesperson for them and said they did not give permission for him to view the footage. 

Just before noon Friday, the family's attorney released a statement on their behalf saying "serious questions remain." 

"Despite requests for all evidence, we have only been provided snippets of video, none of which shows Kenneka Jenkins walking into a freezer," the statement read. 

It was not immediately clear if the video shown to Holmes was the same video that was given to the family. 

Holmes said Jenkins is seen in the video trying to find her way to the lobby when she appears to get lost. She ended up in an “unsecured” kitchen area in a lower level of the hotel and was checking doors when she opened the unused freezer and walked in, he said.

"From me looking at video, she was trying to find way back upstairs to the lobby. She was checking he doors and trying to find way upstairs," he said. 

Holmes said there did not appear to be any foul play involved in Jenkins’ death—and that it was an “accident waiting to happen.”

"It was an un-caused accident that should have never happened," he said. "That door should have been secured."

Despite Holmes' comments, dozens of protesters continued to gather outside the hotel Thursday. They could be heard chanting "No justice! No peace!" as Jenkins' mother said she is still seeking answers. 

Teresa Martin said despite a request she received from Holmes to stop the protest Thursday night, she attended the event and asked for demonstrators to remain peaceful.

"Don’t make it seem like it’s some race thing because it’s not," Martin said in an earlier Facebook live. "It could be your child. It could be a blue child, a purple child - it doesn’t matter." 

A dozen people have been interviewed, 47 cameras are being analyzed by investigators--and social media posts continue to be scrutinized--after Jenkins was found dead in a hotel freezer over the weekend, authorities said Wednesday.

She was pronounced dead at 12:48 a.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, located at 5440 N. River Rd. in Rosemont, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

Facebook videos purportedly taken from a hotel room party Jenkins was said to have been at have been shared thousands of times. As the posts sparked amateur online detectives to flood social media with accusations and conjecture, police gave an official update Wednesday.

They say the department is still conducting a death investigation.

“Our detectives are working around the clock to identify, locate, and interview all persons who were involved,” the department said in a release. “Additionally, certain videos related to this investigation have been sent to specialized forensic technicians for further analysis.”

Police said they have interviewed 12 people who were “involved in some way”—including eight who were present the night or morning of the hotel party Jenkins attended.

Police are still searching for four other people who were at the party they say they want to talk to, but they did not elaborate.

“As interviews continue, the names and whereabouts of more people present that night are being discovered,” the department’s press release says.

Police said the Crowne Plaza hotel has been “extremely cooperative” and has provided all video surveillance along with employee rosters. Family members of Jenkins and the community activist Holmes had implied at an earlier press conference that the hotel was withholding some security footage.

The hotel has offered to cover Jenkins' funeral costs.

An autopsy was conducted, but Jenkins' cause of death was pending results, police and the medical examiner's office said.

Photo Credit: Rosemont Police

GOP Scores Budget Victory, Governor Vows Veto


Connecticut Republicans saw their budget pass the Connecticut Senate in an unexpected and politically shocking development more than two and a half months into a budget stalemate. Then, the State House of Representatives passed the Republican-backed budget as well.

“I think they did it because they believe in the state and they want to put Connecticut first and they’re looking for a new direction,” said Sen. Len Fasano, R–Durham, the top Republican in the Connecticut Senate.

Three Democrats, Sen. Paul Doyle from Wethersfield, Sen. Joan Hartley from Waterbury, and Sen. Gayle Slossberg from Milford, all voted for the Republican budget proposal during a debate that was anticipated to send a Democrat-sponsored budget to the Connecticut House.

But the three members, who are known for being more moderate to independent decision-makers within the Senate Democratic caucus, all spoke on the Senate floor about wanting to see the state go in a different direction when it comes to taxing and spending.

Sen. Slossberg referred to the budget decision as being given, “two imperfect choices.”

Following debate, Sen. Paul Doyle conceded, “People won’t be happy with me but I think it was the best decision for the state of Connecticut.”

Doyle said he was not swayed by Democratic House and Senate members arguments over the past week that a vote against the Democrat-sponsored plan was an endorsement of Gov. Dannel Malloy’s executive order that mandates hundreds of millions in spending cuts to cities and towns on Oct. 1.

Doyle said there is potential for a truly bipartisan budget.

“We can come back, take a break -- people are exhausted -- come back and work on a bipartisan budget,” Doyle said, crowded by reporters in a scene that more closely resembled Capitol Hill. “There’s a lot of good work in these budgets. If the will is there it can be achieved.”

Five Democrats in the House broke party ranks and passed the GOP budget before the session ended at 3:15 a.m.

Gov. Dannel Malloy released a statement in the hours following the budget’s passage, saying he would veto the plan, which he criticized as being unbalanced and depending on “unrealistic savings.”

UConn President Susan Herbst issued a statement this morning, calling the state budget the General Assembly passed "appalling to us at UConn."

She said it would cut state funding for the university by more than $300 million over the next two years and lead to closing regional campuses and several academic departments, and possibly even schools and colleges. She said it would lead to the closure of UConn Health and the elimination of several majors, graduate programs, many Division 1 Athletics programs and international programs.

Dramatic reductions to fundraising efforts and philanthropic giving.

Both the Democrat and Republican budgets made public in recent days were projected to be out of balance in the billions of dollars in future years, according to the nonpartisan Office of Fiscal Analysis.

Republicans were calling for the bill to be called for a vote and approved by the House of Representatives.

“If it is voted on by two different parties, it is therefore bipartisan,” Minority Leader Rep. Themis Klarides, R–Derby, said.

The Republican budget cuts agency positions across state government, requires higher contributions by teachers to their retirement, and places caps on borrowing and spending.

Democrats opposed to the GOP budget have said they are adamantly opposed to the cuts imposed on the state’s higher education system, and the changes to collective bargaining.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Military Dad Makes Surprise Homecoming at Football Game


A Jonathan Law High School received a surprise to remember on the 50-yard line Friday night.

Cole Egersheim, a senior tight end, thought he was just taking the field for the football team’s first home game of the season.  Little did he know that his dad, Joe, who's been deployed in Kuwait for the last year with the Army Reserve, was at the game too.  

Joseph Egersheim was there to surprise his son and was disguised as one of the game’s referees. 

“I just looked down and started crying. I haven’t seen him in so long. I missed him so much,” Cole said after he spotted his father during the opening coin toss. 

Fresh off of a flight, Joseph Egersheim tried to keep a low profile in sunglasses and a referee uniform before the game got underway.  For him, being able to surprise his son in this way was an experience of a lifetime. 

“I was so nervous. I couldn’t believe it. I loved it. My heart wouldn’t stop pounding,” Joseph Egersheim said.

“It all worked out. It just was great. It made him feel so good,” Joseph’s wife and Cole’s mother, Robin Egersheim, said. 

Two of Joseph Egersheim’s children were at Friday’s game.  

Cole’s twin sister, Olivia, is a cheerleader at Jonathan Law and was also in on the surprise. 

“To make him happy on his first home game, it was good,” she said. 

With fans in the stands and his family there to cheer him on, Cole said he’s thankful to have his dad and his service to his country. 

Now that their dad is back, the Egersheims are looking forward to getting back to normal life as a complete family.  

Interpreter Warned of 'Bears' & 'Monsters' at Irma Briefing


Officials in Manatee County, Florida, are under fire after an interpreter for the deaf warned residents about "bears" and "monsters" during a Hurricane Irma emergency press conference.

As Hurricane Irma approached the Tampa Bay area last week, officials in the county called a press conference on Sept. 8 on the incoming storm and to relay crucial information, including evacuation orders. But county leaders say they realized they didn't have an interpreter for the deaf for the emergency address to the public, according to NBC affiliate WFLA.

Marshall Greene, a lifeguard with the county’s marine rescue unit, has a brother who is deaf. His bosses, "in a pinch," asked Greene if he could step in and convey the information to the deaf residents of the county.

Members of the deaf community said Greene mostly signed gibberish, referencing "pizza," "monsters," and using the phrase "help you at that time to use bear big," during the press conference. Other information signed to viewers was incomplete, experts said.

Video of the briefing has gone viral on social media.

The county typically uses interpreters from VisCom, a professional sign language interpreting service. VisCom’s owner, Charlene McCarthy, told WLFA the county did not contact her company regarding providing services for the press conference.

"It was horribly unnerving for me," McCarthy said. "To watch that, knowing I could provide a qualified, certified interpreter."

The county admitted it made it mistake, but maintained it was a last minute decision and didn’t have enough time to call in a professional interpreter.

The former president of the National Association of the Deaf also noted that Greene, who was dressed in a bright yellow shirt in the press conference, should have been wearing the established black allowing his hands to be visible.

"It was obvious to me he wasn’t a professional interpreter. I was totally shocked," Chris Wagner said via an interpreter.

Greene's father told WFLA that his son was asked by his bosses to help out “and that’s exactly what he did.”

"He can't expect to communicate something he doesn’t know," he added.

The deaf community is laying the blame on the county, who they say shouldn’t have put someone who is not a certified professional to convey emergency information during a press conference of this nature, and is demanding an apology from officials.

Manchester Honors Memory of Beloved Security Guard


Barry Mitchell spent years dedicating himself to the students and staff of Manchester High School, now the school is honoring the beloved security guard, who passed away earlier this year. 

The school is naming the outdoor athletic complex ‘The Barry ‘Mitch’ Mitchell Athletic Complex after him. 

“He was wonderful. He was great to everybody. All the kids, all the families,” Milka Frison, a former coworker, said. 

Mitch, as he was known, had been the school’s security guard for at least 15 years. 

In January, Mitch suffered an apparent heart attack. 

“It shook the whole community of Manchester when Mitch passed,” Erin Ortega, a former coworker of Mitch’s, said. 

His official job title was just part of what he did. Many considered him their friend, a surrogate parent and a faithful cheerleader. 

“He was best at picking children up on a bad day, whether it was a pat on the back or for my own children screaming at the track on the last lap. He was bigger than life,” Manchester Mayor Jay Moran said. 

Now Mitch will inspire generations to come. 

On Friday, his son and daughter unveiled a plaque, as the outdoor athletic complex was named in honor of Barry Mitchell. 

“It was an honor to read this, the plaque, and I’m just really happy. But I do miss my dad,” Barry Mitchell, “Mitch’s” son, said. 

It was a chance to pay tribute to a father, a husband and a hero to so many in the Manchester community. 

“Thank you for naming this field after my dad. It means so much to me,” Mitch’s daughter, Samantha Mitchell, said. 

“The love and support has been overwhelming. We are just very grateful,” Mitch’s wife, Tammy Mitchell, “Mitch’s” wife, said. 

In Manchester you’ll spot Mitch remembrances, including wristbands. 

Groups are raising money in his honor, including for the plaque recognition.  

1 Dead After Crash on I-91 in Rocky Hill


One person is dead after a crash on Interstate 91 North in Rocky Hill early Saturday morning.

Two cars were involved in the crash and collided in the area of exit 23.

No additional information is available.

Photo Credit: Connectcicut Department of Transportation

Firefighters Responded to Farmington Hotel After Oven Fire

Car Fire Closed Lanes of I-84 East in Manchester


The left lane and the high-occupancy vehicle lane of Interstate 84 East were closed near exit 62 in Manchester Saturday afternoon because of a car fire.

State police said all the occupants were out of the car and minor injuries are reported.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Department of Transportation

Suspect in North Stonington Homicide Arrested


State police have arrested a suspect in the murder of a North Stonington man in April.

James Armstrong, 30, of New London, has been arrested and charged with the murder of 31-year-old Ralph Sebastian Sidberry, of North Stonington.

State troopers responded to 628 Lantern Hill Road at 4:15 p.m. on Wednesday, April 12 to investigate a shooting and found Sidberry, a resident of the residence. He was transported to the hospital and died sometime later, according to police.

According to his obituary, Sidberry was a member of the Eastern Pequot Tribal Nation and he and his wife were expecting their second child, a baby girl, when he died. 

Police said they obtained a warrant charging Armstrong with murder and learned he had left Connecticut and was possibly at the Army National Guard Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, so they contacted military police and advised them of the warrant.

Armstrong was then detained until the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office took him into custody, charging him as a fugitive from justice.

Armstrong refused to waive extradition and Connecticut, so detectives applied for a governor’s warrant and state police flew to Missouri and took him into custody on Sept.15.

Bond was set at $2 million. State police said the arrest warrant is sealed.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Trump’s Wall Set to Slice Through Native American Lands


President Trump's proposed border wall is set to carve a path through the Tohono O’odham Nation — a move which the tribe's Chairman Edward Manuel said would separate members from much needed resources and disrupt the community’s way of life.

The nation, which is about the size of Connecticut, is a federally recognized tribe that has land and members on both sides of the U.S.-Mexican border.

“Walls are made to keep animals in or out, walls cannot contain people,” Manuel said. “People are too intelligent. They can always find a way to get over the wall, under the wall or through the wall.”

On Thursday Trump tweeted, “The WALL, which is already under construction in the form of new renovation of old and existing fences and walls, will continue to be built.” At a recent rally in Arizona he said, “If we have to close down our government, we’re building that wall.”

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin

2 Dead in Plane Crash in North Branford


Two people were killed in a small plane crash in North Branford, near the Guilford line, Saturday afternoon.

Officials from the Federal Aviation Administration said the plane is a Mooney M20C and it crashed at 1:53 p.m.

Police said the crash was in a wooded area off of West Street in Guilford, but over the North Branford town line.

Neighbors who said they called 911 said they heard a noise in the woods and initially thought a tree fell, but later went to check and realized a plane crashed.

Carrie Carignan of Guilford said her fiance was the man who discovered the plane.

"All of a sudden he called me," Carignan said. "He's frantic. You got to call 911, you have to call 911.  There's been a plane crash.  And I was like oh my gosh, and I immediately ran out of the house and went back into the woods."

Police have not yet released the names of the victims.  The FAA is investigating the cause of the crash. 

This is the 11th plane crash in Connecticut this year.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

UK Police Arrest 2nd Man in London Subway Attack Case


London police say a second man has been arrested in connection with the London subway attack.

Police said Sunday that a 21-year-old man was arrested late Saturday night in Hounslow in west London and is being held under the Terrorism Act. He is being questioned at a south London police station but has not been charged or identified.

Two men are now in custody for possible roles in the bombing attack on a rush-hour subway train Friday morning that injured 29 people in London. An 18-year-old man was arrested Saturday in the departure area of the port of Dover, where ferries leave for France.

The two arrests indicate police and security services believe the attack at the Parsons Green station was part of a coordinated plot, not the act of a single person.

"We are still pursing numerous lines of enquiry and at a great pace," counter-terrorism coordinator Neil Basu of the London police said late Saturday.

Britain's terror threat level remains at "critical" — the highest level — meaning that authorities believe another attack is imminent. The official threat level is not likely to be lowered until police believe all of the plotters have been taken into custody.

Police on Saturday launched a massive armed search in the southwestern London suburb of Sunbury. Neighbors were evacuated in a rush from the area and kept away for nearly 10 hours before they were allowed to return to their homes.

The Islamic State says the attack Friday was carried out by one of its affiliated units. The improvised explosive device placed on the subway train only partially detonated, limiting the number of injuries.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the casualties would have been far higher if the bomb had fully detonated. Frustrated by the string of terrorist attacks in recent months, she said officials will have to work harder to make bomb components more difficult to obtain.

Britain has endured four other attacks this year, which have killed a total of 36 people. The other attacks in London — near Parliament, on London Bridge and near a mosque in Finsbury Park in north London — used vehicles and knives to kill and wound.

Photo Credit: Victoria Jones/PA via AP

Police Looking for Missing 2-year-old


State police have issued a silver alert for a 2-year-old boy missing from Jewett City.

Police said they are looking for Aceion Grant who has been missing since September 16.

Police said his mother is looking for him and he is believed to be with his father.

Grant was last seen wearing a blue paw patrol t-shirt and a diaper.

Police said if anyone has information about where Grant is, to contact Connecticut State Police Troop E at 860-848-6500.

Trump Retweets Meme of Him Driving Golf Ball Into Clinton


President Donald Trump on Sunday morning retweeted a number of Internet memes, including an altered video that shows him driving a golf ball into the back of Hillary Clinton. 

The retweeted video is captioned, "Donald Trump's amazing golf swing #CrookedHillary." 

In it, Trump wears a red "Make America Great Again" hat and tees of on a golf green. The video then cuts to a scene of Hillary Clinton walking onto an airplane and being hit by the golf ball, causing her to trip and fall. 

[[445051013, C]]

It was one of a number of memes Trump retweeted Sunday morning. Others included an electoral map that was pure red, captioned: "keep it up Libs this will be 2020." 

[[445051073, C]]

He also insulted North Korea leader Kim Jong Un in his morning tweetstorm, calling the dictator "Rocket Man." 

"I spoke with President Moon of South Korea last night. Asked him how Rocket Man is doing. Long gas lines forming in North Korea. Too bad!"

Trump's words on North Korea come after Kim said Saturday that his country is nearing its goal of "equilibrium" in military force with the United States after a number of missile tests in the region. 

[[445051393, C]]

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Evan Vucci
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

NASCAR Champion Ted Christopher Dead in Plane Crash


Race car fans across the country and around Connecticut are mourning the loss of champion driver Ted Christopher, of Plainville.

NASCAR reports that the 59-year-old died in a small plane crash in North Branford on Saturday.

“As a championship driver on the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour and New England short tracks, Christopher was a throwback to NASCAR’s roots,” NASCAR CEO Brian France wrote in a statement posted on Twitter.

France went on to state, “He was a tough racer’s racer, and his hard driving style and candid personality endeared him to short track fans throughout the country.”

Christopher captured 13 track championships and competed at every level of NASCAR during his career. In 2006, he was selected as one of the top 25 drivers in NASCAR Whelen All-American Series history.

Race car driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted Saturday night that Christopher "was a legend."

Christopher was one of two people on board the single-engine Mooney M20C.

For some reason near the North Branford and Guilford town line, the plane apparently nose-dived into the ground in a heavily wooded area.

Neighbors heard a rumble but only later during a hike found the wreckage.

“The plane is literally straight up and down. I don’t know. They were saying maybe it hit a tree and then went literally straight down. But it was horrific,” Carrie Carignan of Guilford, said.

At this point authorities have not released the name of the second person on board or the flight plan for the aircraft.

Christopher was scheduled on Saturday to compete at the Riverhead Raceway on Long Island which is about 30 miles south of the crash site off of West Street in Guilford.

At race tracks and on social media, condolences flooded in.

On Twitter, Joey Logano, who is from Middletown, wrote, “My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family of Ted Christopher tonight. So sad to hear the news of his passing.”

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating what went wrong.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

Hurricane Jose Trending Further East


NBC Connecticut Meteorologists are continuing to monitor the very latest on the track of Hurricane Jose.

Jose is currently a Category 1 hurricane with sustained winds of 80 mph and is located around 450 miles to the southeast of Cape Hatteras in North Carolina.

The latest track keeps Hurricane Jose further to the southeast of Connecticut. A track further away from Connecticut is good news it would mean less of an impact here in Connecticut.

We're still forecasting some rain and wind with the highest wind gusts occurring in eastern Connecticut.

We're still closely monitoring the latest model guidance and trends. Some of our computer models bring Jose closer to Connecticut than the current National Hurricane Center track while other models bring it further out to sea.

Right now the biggest impact looks to be high surf for areas of Rhode Island and New York. High surf advisories are in effect for coastal Rhode Island and Long Island.

This will also lead to dangerous rip currents at Rhode Island beaches.

Updated Hurricane Track Brings Jose Closer to Connecticut


NBC Connecticut Meteorologists are continuing to monitor the very latest on the track of Hurricane Jose.

The National Hurricane Center issued a new advisory at 11 a.m. 

Jose is currently a Category 1 hurricane with sustained winds of 90 mph located about 350 miles to the southeast of Cape Hatteras North Carolina.

Winds have intensified from 80 mph to 90 mph from the early morning update. Jose is now just 6 mph away from being a category 2 hurricane. We're not anticipating Jose's winds to increase much more. 

The latest forecast from the National Hurricane Center shifts the track of Jose slightly closer to Connecticut.

This is consistent with some of the morning computer model guidance.

What's this mean for Connecticut?

Well the odds of expercing some effects from Hurricane Jose are increasing. This is especially true for areas of southeastern Connecticut. 

The latest projection now gives the New London County coastal towns over a 35 percent chance of experiencing tropical storm force winds. Tropical storm force winds are defined as winds sustained at or above 39 mph. 

We're forecasting the strongest wind gusts in the southeast corner because they will be located closest to the storm. One of our computer models the GFS is projecting wind gusts to 45 mph in the Stonington to New London area. If the storm tracks further west like other models are projecting then these gusts would increase.

Another impact we're starting to see occur is high surf for areas of Rhode Island and New York. High surf advisories are in effect for coastal Rhode Island and Long Island.

This will also lead to dangerous rip currents at Rhode Island beaches.

It's important to stay tuned to the forecast because the forecast track will continue to wobble. New information is coming into the weather center this afternoon and we will have another update this evening. 

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live