Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Egyptians in Hartford Protest Massacre


Two days after Egyptian police killed hundreds of pro-Muslim Brotherhood protesters, a small group organized by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), stood in Hartford's State House Square waving Egyptian flags.

"People killed this way - with heavy weapons, just people protesting peacefully, and get killed and burned and squished with bulldozers, killed from planes, this is not fair," said protestor Fatma Salman. 

She said friends of hers in Egypt lost chlidren in the massacre. A physics professor at Manchester Community College, Salman said she's lived here for 14 years.

CAIR wants the U.S. to cut the billion-dollars-per-year Egypt has taken since the Israeli-Egyptian peace treaty of 1979.

"What we're asking for is to cut off aid that's helping these criminals to kill their own people," said Mongi Dahouadi of CAIR.

He admitted the deposed government had overreached and its supporters had overreacted by burning Christian churches in Egypt after the massacre.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fort Hood Officer Recalls Gunman's Laser in Her Eyes


A former Fort Hood police officer confronted mass shooting suspect Maj. Nidal Hasan in court Friday, nearly four years after the last confrontation between the two.

Sergeant Kimberley Munley's squad car dash cam video was played for the jury, showing her high-speed trip to the Soldier Readiness Processing Center building on November 5, 2009.

People could be seen running toward the parking lot and taking cover behind other cars as Munley exited her cruiser in the video.

“I think it’s fair to say that a lot of people were on the edge of their seats,” said reporter Manny Fernandez, who is covering the trial for the New York Times.  “The jury was sitting up at attention when they were watching that video in the screens in front of them.”

Soon after Munley left her car, rapid gunshots could be heard on the recording.

Munley said a red laser sight crossed her eyes as she fired toward the gunman.

"I go into a laying down prone position and try to use the building as cover and locate the shooter," she said.

Munley said the gunman continued shooting and ran toward her so she stood to take better aim, but was wounded three times as she continued trying to shoot back.

Then she said her gun malfunctioned.

"I see him standing over me trying to fire his weapon, as well," she said.

At that moment, Munley said Fort Hood police Sgt. Mark Todd fired the bullets that finally took the assailant down.

Asked to identify the man who shot her, Munley pointed to Hasan in the courtroom.

“He did meet her gaze and they just sort of looked at each other for a moment and then he looked down. But she kept glancing over at him,” said reporter Jeniffer Hlad with the newspaper Stars and Stripes.

Representing himself in the trial, Hasan asked Munley no questions and her testimony was over.

“She was ready for this,” said Fernandez.  “Her demeanor was pretty matter of fact and straight forward. I didn’t get any sense that she was nervous at all,” he said.

Munley is no longer a police officer and she now lives in North Carolina.

She said she has undergone surgery three times after the wounds she suffered to her right hand, left knee and left thigh.

Bullet fragments removed from Munley in those surgeries were admitted as evidence at the trial. Sergeant Todd is expected to testify later.

Prosecutors have called 76 witnesses in the first two weeks of Hasan’s US Army Court Martial.

They told Judge Tara Osborn they could present as many as 25 more to finish the guilt or innocence phase of the trial.

Osborn said she would decide over the weekend how many to allow.

Hasan is accused of 13 counts of capital murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. He admitted committing the shootings in an opening trial statement but he will get to present a defense.

Hasan could face the death penalty if convicted.  Additional testimony from victims and family members would come in a sentencing phase of the trial.

Friday Osborn also denied a motion filed by an attorney representing Munley and several other witnesses in the trial.

The motion sought to change instructions the judge has given to all witnesses not to discuss their testimony outside the trial.

Attorney Neal Sher claimed the orders have restricted witnesses from doing media interviews about their experiences after the shooting.

Osborn said her instruction to witnesses is standard and only a temporary restriction that expires at the end of the trial.

Photo Credit: Hope2forget30 / Twitter

Suffield Firefighter Charged With Assaulting Coworker


A lieutenant in the Suffield Volunteer Fire Department was arrested Thursday and charged with third-degree assault after allegedly attacking another firefighter in July.

According to a warrant for her arrest, Carol Thibedeau, 56, of 669 North Street in Suffield, reportedly assaulted her coworker, Steven Domin, at the Suffield Fireman’s Carnival on July 20.

There’s a history of contention between Thibedeau and Domin, who lives at 1781 Mountain Road in West Suffield.

Domin’s wife, Gail, a former firefighter, had previously accused Thibedeau’s husband, Michael, of sexually harrassing her, according to police. Michael Thibedeau is the town fire marshal.

The town investigated Gail’s claim but tossed it out due to a lack of evidence. Gail resigned from the fire department around the time of the investigation, Thibedeau told police.

According to the warrant, Thibedeau approached Domin after the carnival while he was sitting with another woman. Thibedeau told police the two were acting in a romantic way. Thibedeau said she wished she’d had her cellphone so she could take a picture and post it on Facebook.

The warrant states that Thibedeau and Domin got into an argument and Thibedeau starting hitting him in the face.

Thibedeau admitted to swinging at Domin but said she didn’t know whether she had actually hit him. She told police Domin had been taunting her, saying her husband had touched his wife inappropriately, according to the warrant.

Domin told police he ended up with a fat lip.

According to the warrant, witness accounts support Domin’s story. One such witness was town Fire Chief Charles Flynn. Flynn declined to comment on the incident Friday.

Thibedeau was released on a promise to appear in Enfield Superior Court on Tuesday.

She was suspended from the fire department for 30 days, according to Chief Flynn.

Thibedeau is also a full-time dispatcher with the West Hartford Police Department. The department is aware of her arrest, but says it will not affect her employment status there since she's a civilian employee and not a sworn officer.

Thibedeau did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Mother, Daughters Among 7 Killed in Crash


Seven people, four of them children, were killed late Thursday when the Jeep they were in was crushed between two tractor trailers on Interstate 65 in Indiana.

An Indiana State Police official said the crash, which happened at about 10 p.m. near Roselawn, Ind., offers a reminder to all drivers to be extra cautious near work or construction zones.

Officials said the Jeep and one tractor trailer were northbound on the I-65 when they slowed near a work zone. Another tractor trailer came up behind them, failed to slow, and sandwiched the Jeep between the two larger vehicles. The Jeep burst into flames, officials said.

"The first responding officer indicated the flames were at least 30 feet into the air, so the Jeep was fully engulfed," said Sgt. Tony Slocum. "There's no indication at the scene that the driver that rear-ended the Jeep ever braked. There are no skid marks. We believe the Jeep was rear-ended at Interstate speeds."

First responders initially said just two people were inside the Jeep. Hours later, however, five more bodies were found inside. The victims were identified as Lindsey Williams, 27, Arielle Goldman, 3, Yazmin Goldman, 5, and Amado Mangual, 49, all from Merrillville; as well as Jamin Osborne, 5,  Jasmin Osborne, 7, and Yvette Williams, 35, all from Atlanta, Ga.

Yvette Williams was driving the Jeep, state police said.

The driver of the first tractor trailer was not injured. The driver of the tractor trailer that struck the Jeep was taken to Franciscan St. Anthony Hospital in Crown Point, Ind.

Indiana State Police were still investigating the crash Friday afternoon.

Drive In Theater May Be Forced To Close


The owner of a local drive in movie theater fears digital technology may soon drive her out of business.

Donna McGrane has owned the Pleasant Valley Drive In Theater in Barkhamsted for 18 years.

The drive in shows movies to customers four nights a week, six months a year.

However, McGrane fears she will soon have to close because she can't afford to upgrade from film to digital technology.

The movie industry plans to stop offering movies on film by the end of the year and she can't afford the $70,000 conversion to computerized digital equipment, she said.

The theater still uses its original film projectors from the 1940's.

"I couldn't even warrant it if they made me.  I would either have to go to old movies, try and find old prints, or completely shut down," McGrane said.

Robin Matthews brought her niece and nephew to the drive in Friday night because they had never been to one before.

"I have great memories of going out with my parents, sitting in the station wagon and watching movies and I can't imagine them growing up without that kind of experience," said Matthews.

Angela Scapin drove from Massachusetts.

"This is the only one we have.  I come an hour and ten minutes away.  I wouldn't know where I would go," said Scapin.

McGrane says she's hoping the industry will decide to continue offering some movies on film.

"If we have to shut it down, it will be really sad," said McGrane.

The two other drive in theaters in Connecticut have already converted to digital technology.

Fort Worth Baby Rhino Celebrates First Birthday


The Fort Worth Zoo is celebrating a birthday party for one of its newest residents.

Asha, a greater one-horned rhino, turned one year old on August 16.

The zoo treated the young rhino and her mother, Shanti, to a birthday cake made of ice blocks filled with fruits and vegetables.

Watch video of the rhinos chowing down below, and stay to see footage of Asha from a few days after she was born at the end of the embedded clip.

The rhino isn't the only youngster at the zoo. A baby elephant was born on July 7. The public helped name that female elephant Belle.

Previous Coverage:

Photo Credit: Fort Worth Zoo

Children in CA Amber Alert Found Safe


An Amber Alert that was issued throughout California for two children, allegedly abducted by their parents in Nevada, was deactivated when the children were recovered safely in Sacramento, police announced early Saturday.

Lillyanna Ramirez, 9, and Martin Angel Rosales, 3, went missing Wednesday from Elko, Nev., a city of about 19,000 in the northeast corner of the state (map). Both were in custody of child welfare services at the time of the abduction.

The children were with their non-custodial mother, Amber Schenck, 29, when police located them in Sacramento about 2 a.m., Elko Police Capt. Will Lehmann said.

California’s Child Protective Services took custody of the children, and they will be transported back to Nevada, where civil proceedings will determine whether criminal charges should be filed against Schenck, Lehmann said.

Police were still looking for the biological father of the 3-year-old boy, Martin Cisneras Rosales, 33, who is said to have "violent tendencies when dealing with police," officials said. A restraining order keeping him away from his son was issued July 26, 2013, according to an Amber Alert published online.

Nevada authorities said Friday they believed the children were "in danger of serious bodily injury or death."

Anyone who sees Rosales was told not to approach him, but instead call 911. Police believe he may be in the Sacramento area.

Rosales may be driving a 1980s- or 1990s-model blue Ford Mustang that may have a Nebraska license plate or paper plates.

Details regarding exactly where the children were found were not immediately available, and no arrests had been made as of Saturday morning.

The Amber Alert spanned California from Sacramento, where the family was last seen before the alert, to Mexico, where authorities thought the parents were taking their children.

It came in the wake of a high-profile kidnapping case in San Diego that prompted California to issue its first statewide Amber Alert to cellphones.

NBC4 viewers reported seeing an alert about Lillyanna and Martin on their televisions Friday evening, but did not receive a notification on their cellphones, like when a 16-year-old girl from San Diego went missing last week.

Authorites told NBC4 that Friday's Amber Alert is a regional one and that the cellphone alerts are only deployed statewide.

More Top Stories:


SoCal Church Joins Lawsuit Against NSA


A Southern California church has joined 18 other organizations in filing a lawsuit against the National Security Agency, claiming its electronic surveillance program violates the First Amendment right of association.

"The argument is not necessarily that we have been spied upon, but simply the fact the government might be spying on us is creating a chilling effect," said Reverend Rick Hoyt, with the First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles.

A former NSA worker Edward Snowden in May leaked information about the agency's surveillance programs to British publication The Guardian, sparking a nationwide scandal and debate that has citizens asking where to draw the link between security and personal freedom.

"We have drawn the line far too close to the side of paranoia and security and willingness to lose fundamental freedoms I think are important to us," Hoyt said.

The reverend said this type of surveillance was first felt by this church during the McCarthy era in the 1950s. When the church supported blacklisted Hollywood writers and actors, the FBI took notice.

"The FBI began to send agents to our members' houses and they would send plain clothes agents to our worship services," Hoyt said.

The church continues to take stands on issues, which Hoyt says could make it, and any other outspoken organizations, targets for surveillance and thus make worshippers afraid to join.

President Barack Obama's administration again on Friday promised transparency and defended the NSA's program, despite a report by the Washington Post that said the agency violated several privacy laws thousands of times and went beyond its legal authority.

"These programs are done with the goal of keeping the American people safe and keeping people around the world safe," said Jen Psaki, spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department.

Hoyt doesn't disagree with that goal, but believes the American public needs to be part of the discussion about balancing security and personal freedoms.

More Southern California Stories:


Photo Credit: AP

Taste of the Championship Continues Today


Six Downtown Hartford restaurants are competing to have the best signature dish during the 2014 P&G Gymnastic Championship this weekend in the capital city.

A panel of judges including legendary Olympic coach Bela Karolyi and Hartford Mayor Pedra Segarra will visit the restaurants to sample the signature dishes.

They will judge each edible on taste, presentation, nutritional value, creativity and their gymnastic tie in--meaning name and presentation.

Today, the noshing will take place at DISH Bar and Grill, 900 Main St. from noon until 12:45 p.m. followed by City Steam Brewery & Cafe, 942 Main St. from 1 p.m.-1:45 p.m.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

MLK Memorial Ready for 50th Anniversary of March


Workers have completed work on the Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial in time for the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.

Scaffolding was taken down Saturday morning after preservationists from the Historic Preservation Training Center removed a controversial quote from the side of the statue. The quote, “I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness,” was paraphrased from the civil rights leader’s “Drum Major” speech.

Critics said the quote made King sound arrogant.

Work began in July to remove the quote, but problems arose when sandblasting work was left out of the contract. Various materials were tried, including walnut shells, until a fine powder was used that would not mar the statue.

The 50th anniversary of the March on Washington is scheduled for August 28.

West Haven Train Station to Open Sunday


Metro-North's new, contemporary West Haven Station will open tomorrow.

The station, situated between New Haven and Milford stations on the New Haven Line, includes two 1,100-foot platforms that are 12 cars in length each.

The new station includes state-of-the-art technology like electronic ticket kiosks and security cameras.

The new station actually consists of two buildings. The main station building on the north side of the tracks houses the waiting area and an area for vendors, restrooms and vending machines.

The smaller building has a staircase leading to the pedestrian overpass, which leads to the larger building.

The fares for trains leaving this station will be the same as New Haven Station fares 

Trains that normally make stops in at Union Station in New Haven will now also stop in West Haven.

For more information on train schedules and the new West Haven Station, visit bit.ly/19dKwzX .



Conn. Sales Tax Holiday Planned


Back-to-school shoppers in Connecticut will soon get a tax break.

Starting Sunday, clothing items that cost less than $300 will be exempt from the state's 6.35 percent sales tax. The affected items includes jeans, jackets, ties and sneakers. A full list is available on the Department of Revenue Services' website.

The annual tax-free week is scheduled to run through Saturday, Aug. 24.

Guilford state Sen. Ed Meyer said the tax break is designed to help families save money on back-to-school items and provide a financial boost for Connecticut retailers.

This year, Meyer said the initiative week is expected to cost the state $7 million to $8 million in lost tax revenue.

Associated Press/NBC Connecticut

Fatal Crash Shuts Main LA-to-Vegas Route


A pickup truck driver was killed and a tour bus driver was hospitalized in a crash Saturday that shut down the main artery between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

The 10:40 a.m. crash shut down northbound lanes of the I-15 in Baker, about 180 miles northeast of downtown LA.

The lanes were shut down for hours while the CHP investigated the crash and crews cleared the debris, said Tracy Martinez, of the San Bernardino Fire Department.

The tour bus driver was taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

There was no immediate word on his condition.

Five bus riders suffered minor injuries, Martinez said. There were 29 tourists from China on the bus, Eagle Tours out of El Monte.

The truck crossed the median and crashed into the bus, before the truck burst into flames, Martinez said.

More Southern California Stories:

Photo Credit: Denise Truscello

Iams Dog Food Recalled for Salmonella Contamination


The makers of Iams dog food last week recalled several types of dog food due to possible salmonella contamination.

Products affected include Eukanuba brand dry dog food and Iams dry dog and cat foods, both of which are owned by Procter & Gamble. Click here for a full list of affected products and instructions on how to receive replacements.

The dog food was distributed across the U.S., mostly the East Coast. All retailers have been notified and is working to remove them from stories, the company said.

Pets with salmonella poisoning can experience fatigue, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

State Police Investigating Fatal Crash


State Police are investigating after a driver died while trying to flee the scene of an accident on Route 15 Saturday afternoon.

According to state police, a car struck a motorcyclist and then drove away.

The incident happened just before 5:00 p.m.

As the driver fled from the accident, the vehicle crashed down an embankment. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene, said state police.

The right lane on Route 15 Northbound between exits 62 and 63 in North Haven is closed as troopers investigate.

There is no word on the condition of the motorcyclist.

Check back for updates.


WATCH: Cal State East Bay's Warren Hall Imploded


Hundreds of people watched Warren Hall fall to the ground Saturday morning at Cal State East Bay's Hayward campus.

The old 13-story administration building was imploded at around 9 a.m. because it was the most seismically vulnerable building in the California State University system. Separately, scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey were also on hand for a quake study. 

The Bay Area demolition was done with a bang, several actually - and took about 10 seconds followed by applause and cheers from the crowd.

A huge cloud of dust lingered on the campus for several minutes.

The implosion was proceeded by a warning horn 10 minutes before, 2 minutes before and one minute before the blast. 

The building, which housed administrative officers and classrooms for four decades, was too tall to be taken down by crane, so the demotion team used 430 pounds of high explosives to blow up one side of the building. Gravity did the rest, experts said. 

While most were interested in the explosion, scientists at the USGS were watching what happened underground after the building hit the ground.

Scientists seized the occasion to install nearly 600 seismic sensors within a 1.5-mile radius around the building to help them map fault lines and get a clearer look at the shaking caused by seismic events. The implosion was expected to create an effect similar to a 2.0-magnitude quake.

"We are trying to measure ground motion," Geophysicist Rufus Catchings said before the demolition. "When the building comes down there will be a thump that will put seismic energy into the ground."

The nearby Hayward fault was expected to amplify that energy.

Catchings said the sensors will help map where the fault is underground.

"Just because there is a ground break on the surface doesn't mean that is where the fault is underground. It's a zone, we want to see the width of the zone. We want to see how many strands are coming toward the surface," he said.

The information can then be applied all along the Hayward fault, from Milpitas to San Pablo Bay, and will tell scientists more about what will happen during an earthquake.

Rufus called it a rare opportunity.

"There is a tremendous number of things we need to learn about the fault zone if we understand that then we have a pretty good idea of what will happen in a much larger earthquake," he said.

Scientists said it would take several months to organize and analyze the data.

The building's occupants moved to a new Student Services Administration building on the east side of the campus and Warren Hall stood empty for about two years prior to this morning's demolition.

The CSUEB campus is set to reopen at 6 a.m. Monday.

Photo Credit: Josh Keppel

Shellfish Bacteria Can Cause Flu-Like Sickness


The state Dept. of Public Health is warning Connecticut residents of a nasty bacteria found in raw and under-cooked shellfish.

Exposure to the Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, cramps and fever, and already, more than double the average number of infections have been reported.

The bacteria can also lead to a skin infection when open wounds are exposed to contaminated seawater. Symptoms typically occur 24 hours after exposure and last up to seven days.

Vibrio bacteria grow more quickly in warm weather, and infections are not uncommon during the summer months. This year, however, the number of reported cases is more than twice the average.

According to the Dept. of Public Health, 19 cases have been reported since June; typically, seven cases would be reported in the same amount of time.

People with pre-existing medical conditions such as liver disease and those who regularly take antacids are at a higher risk for infection, according to the Dept. of Public Health.

To best protect against infection, the FDA recommends steaming oysters for 4 to 9 minutes, or boiling them for 3 to 5 minutes after they open. Shellfish should be cooked for at least 15 seconds at 145 degrees.

The Dept. of Public Health says we can expect to see declining levels of bacteria around October, as the weather starts to change.

Last week, recalls were issued for clams and oysters from Norwalk and Westport after people around the state started to get sick.

For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Shots Fired Into Hamden Home


Hamden police are investigating after shots were fired into a home on Arch Street early Friday morning.

According to police, at least three people fired shots around 12:45 a.m. Friday near the parking lot of Slyce Pizza at 141 Arch Street.

Police said several rounds went into the living room and bedroom of a nearby home. A family with a small child was inside.

Hamsel Anies' mother lives next door to where the shooting happened.

"She's also concerned. We're all concerned. You got kids out here and it's scary because this is a nice neighborhood," Anies said.

No injuries were reported, but the front window of Slyce Pizza and several cars were damaged in the gun battle.

Police are actively investigating.

Anyone with information should contact the Hamden Police Department Detective Division at 203-230-4040.

Hannah Anderson Thanks Supporters at Car Wash


San Diego kidnap survivor Hannah Anderson spoke out on-camera Saturday for the first time since the 16-year-old was rescued, thanking supporters as she left a car wash fundraiser with her father in Lakeside. 

When asked by NBC 7’s Steven Luke if she had anything to say to the public following her story, Hannah simply said, “Just thank you. Thank you.”

Wearing a black knee brace on her left leg, Hannah had greeted her friends at the fundraiser and gave out hugs.

NBC 7 spoke exclusively with her father, Brett Anderson, at the event and he said his daughter felt compelled to attend the fundraiser and give her personal thanks to organizers and supporters.

“It’s wonderful that [the community] is out here helping her. She just wanted to come out and thank these people personally,” Brett said.

He said his daughter is still going through a lot, but the overwhelming support from the community – particularly her hometown of Lakeside – helps.

“[Right now things] are very difficult. Every moment is difficult for her,” Brett added.

After a few moments, Brett told Hannah they had to go.

“We have to go? Oh, okay,” said Hannah, as she hugged and said goodbye to other children at the car wash. “I’ve gotta (sic) go, bye guys.”

Before leaving with her father, Hannah walked over to one of the organizers of the fundraiser, Traci
Paulson. She gave Paulson a big hug and said thank you, before walking back to her father’s car and speaking to NBC 7.

The car wash fundraiser was held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lakeside's Living Hope Christian Fellowship church on Los Coches Road in the San Diego County community to benefit Hannah and her family.

The money raised at the car wash – about $1,000 -- will be donated to the Anderson family and will help cover funeral expenses for slain Lakeside residents Christina Anderson, 44, and her son, Ethan Anderson, 8.

The funds will also help cover ongoing therapy expenses for Hannah.

Saturday’s event was organized by Traci Paulson and Bonnie Barker, neighbors of Christina, Ethan and Hannah Anderson.

Paulson said it marked the first time she had seen Hannah in person since her return to San Diego.

“It’s amazing to see her. It made my day,” said Paulson.

The teen’s appearance, albeit brief, was the highlight of the day for organizers and participants – kids who grew up playing with Hannah and her late little brother, Ethan, in their Lakeside neighborhood.

Angelina Pellegrino, 12, has fond memories of playing with the Andersons – and one chilling memory of hanging out with Hannah the day before she disappeared with accused abductor James Lee DiMaggio.

“We had camp the day before she got kidnapped. We hung out with her the entire day and the next day, she was gone,” Pellegrino told NBC 7. “The girls who were with her – we feel like we have to do this.”

With the help of dozens of volunteers, fundraiser organizers raised nearly $1,000 for the Anderson family – a family still in shock.

“I wanted to do something to help the family and this is my way of helping,” said one participant.

Alex Ramirez, a senior at El Capitan High School and fellow schoolmate of Hannah, said the brief encounter with Hannah was a welcome surprise.

“It was crazy. I didn’t expect her to come,” said Ramirez, adding that it was good to see Hannah.

Even better for Ramirez: the chance to do something for the Anderson family, one car and one donation at a time.

TIMELINE: The Search for Hannah Anderson

This was the second fundraiser this week for Hannah and her family.

On Thursday, a large fundraiser was held at a Boll Weevil restaurant in Lakeside. In her first public appearance since her kidnapping and rescue, Hannah attended the event along with her family.

Hannah's father, Brett Anderson, issued a brief statement outside Thursday’s event, thanking the public for their support and giving a short update on his daughter.

“Hannah sends her love. She’s doing good day by day. We’ll just keep moving forward from here," Brett said. "We're just looking for her future and to get her settled."

In addition to these fundraisers, an Anderson Family Memorial Fund has been established at Wells Fargo. The account number for that fund is 3224408462, and anyone can donate.

NBC 7 has confirmed that funeral services for Christina and Ethan Anderson are set to take place at 11 a.m. Aug. 24 at the Guardian Angel Roman Catholic Church in Santee. As of right now, the service will be open to the public, unless the Anderson family decides otherwise.

Christina and Ethan Anderson's charred bodies were discovered by officials on Aug. 4 at the burned out property of kidnap and murder suspect James Lee DiMaggio in the community of Boulevard, near San Diego.

According to search warrants, investigators believe DiMaggio – a longtime friend of the Anderson family – “tortured and killed” Christina and Ethan on Aug. 4 before allegedly kidnapping Christina’s daughter Hannah.

DiMaggio then fled San Diego with Hannah, sparking an Amber Alert that spanned across six states.

The pair ended up in the rugged Idaho backcountry near Cascade and Morehead Lake, where they were spotted by a group of horseback riders on Aug. 7.

After seeing the Amber Alert, the riders reported the sighting to authorities, leading more than 200 federal, state and local law enforcement officials to the rural community in Idaho in search of Hannah and DiMaggio.

The pair was ultimately found by an FBI tactical team near Morehead Lake on Aug. 10.

Hannah was rescued safely by officials. DiMaggio was shot at least five times and killed at the scene.

Hannah has since reunited with her family and returned home to San Diego. Days after her rescue, the teen was fielding questions about her kidnapping on social media. On Thursday, she made her first public appearance since her rescue at the fundraiser in Lakeside.

The teenager’s family has asked for privacy as Hannah continues to recover.

Water Main Break in Windsor


A water main break in Windsor is causing some trouble for crews this morning.

MDC officials say that a 8-inch water main break caused water to gush out onto the street. MDC says that they have located the break between the two water main valves.

They also believe that no customers have been affected by the break.

Crews are on the scene assessing the damage. They had to dig up a significant amount of the road, causing road closures. At this time, the southbound side of Broad St. at Olin St. has been reopened.

The northbound side of the road is still closed from Island Road to Capen St.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live